PDA

View Full Version : After lost rookie year, it's time for Broncos TE Julius Thomas to step up

Denver Native (Carol)
03-30-2012, 10:21 AM
Today's question about the Broncos comes from Kenny Loughridge in Missouri:

Q: Wasn't Julius Thomas supposed to be the next great Broncos tight end? I realize he was hurt last year, but have they already given up on him?

A: Kenny, the Broncos haven't given up on him, and they shouldn't. Much like trading Alphonso Smith just one season after they traded away a first-round pick to take him in the second round of the 2009 draft was impetuous, so would be discarding Thomas at this point.

rest - http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci_20284693/after-lost-rookie-season-its-time-julius-thomas

vandammage13
03-30-2012, 10:58 AM
I think the fact that we picked up two TE's probably tells us what EFX thinks of Julius Thomas...He' probably not going to develop as they hoped.

turftoad
03-30-2012, 11:22 AM
I think the fact that we picked up two TE's probably tells us what EFX thinks of Julius Thomas...He' probably not going to develop as they hoped.

I think it's to early to tell. He played BB in college and only one year of football IIR correctly. He a project for sure.

BigDaddyBronco
03-30-2012, 11:24 AM
I hope they keep both Green and Thomas and have 4 TE's on the roster. TE's are a big deal to Manning and with injuries it would be good insurance.

Denver Native (Carol)
03-30-2012, 11:28 AM
I hope they keep both Green and Thomas and have 4 TE's on the roster. TE's are a big deal to Manning and with injuries it would be good insurance.

I read somewhere that it appears the Broncos are stacking up on TE's, and may not have a "FB" on the field.

From article -

Meanwhile, back in the offense, when the Broncos moved to an option-based offense because Tim Tebow was the team's starter at quarterback, the team's tight ends largely became ornamental in the passing game no matter who they were. With just 19 catches, Daniel Fells led the team's tight ends in receptions.

And all of the team's tight ends had just 13 catches combined over the Broncos' last 10 games of the regular season. So they essentially muted the position beyond a blocking role in the offense as Tebow rarely targeted them in the passing game.

That said, Thomas never bounced back from a severely sprained ankle he suffered against Cincinnati in Week 2. He played in just two of the other 14 games in the regular season and did not have a catch in those two games.

Cugel
03-30-2012, 06:49 PM

Correction: I would say it means they can't COUNT on him to develop as they hoped. Thus they get a couple of extra guys and throw Thomas into the mix. He'll have to earn a starting role, but it's not beyond question that he can't. He has some pass-catching ability.

If nothing happens with him and he continues as the invisible man, they're covered. If he does develop like they hoped, then it's a huge bonus. We certainly can't tell anything from the fact that he did nothing with Tebow. Tebow can't pass. No WR is going to look good with him as QB.