PDA

View Full Version : Broncos likely to draft a defensive tackle in the first round

Denver Native (Carol)
03-29-2012, 02:08 PM
Today's question about the Broncos comes from Anthony Marshall in Atlanta.

Q: What is the team's plan for acquiring defensive tackles?

A: Last year, the Broncos thought Brodrick Bunkley and Ty Warren would strengthen that position. Bunkley had a productive season, but Warren suffered a season-ending arm injury in training camp.

Warren's return — he signed a two-year contract last summer — is one reason the Broncos haven't done anything at defensive tackle in free agency this year. They still believe Warren can be a productive starter. But he has played only one game the last two seasons because of injuries, so they're rolling the dice on his availability.

rest - http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci_20275702/look-broncos-draft-defensive-tackle-first-round-this

bcbronc
03-29-2012, 03:20 PM
be happier to here this from Elway.

OrangeHoof
03-29-2012, 03:36 PM
I'm down with a DT since Bunkley has moved on. If Dontarius Poe is still there, that would be my choice.

pipes
03-29-2012, 03:56 PM
The Broncos LUCKED out by acquiring Bunk last year. Everybody, including EFX, knew that Denver was incredibly weak at DT then all but ignored the position in free agency and the draft.
They signed a brittle Ty Warren and traded for a scrub from Washington.
The availability of BB bailed them out period.

Now to this year...they've lost BB, McBean is going to be suspended, and have added nothing!

They HAVE to add DT's!!! And some with talent, although it would be different, would be nice!

dogfish
03-29-2012, 05:56 PM
Broncos likely to draft a defensive tackle in the first round

no they are not! pure LIES, legwold! it's nothing but speculation with zero to back it up. . .

it's not cool to get people's hopes up-- what if cugel reads this??

BroncoWave
03-29-2012, 07:01 PM
Impossible! All of the football experts on here are just certain that Denver is for some reason stubbornly refusing to add a quality DT to the roster. And I would assume all of these people have full access to front office meetings as sure as they are about this!

pipes
03-29-2012, 09:33 PM
Impossible! All of the football experts on here are just certain that Denver is for some reason stubbornly refusing to add a quality DT to the roster. And I would assume all of these people have full access to front office meetings as sure as they are about this!

God I love posts like this. No one on here claims to have access to team officials or are part of team meetings.

However, everyone on here does have access to this opinion based fan forum. And in this forum each member is allowed to type their thoughts and feelings.

sneakers
03-29-2012, 09:44 PM
LOL I am not sure John Elway knows what a Defensive Tackle is.

BroncoWave
03-29-2012, 10:17 PM
God I love posts like this. No one on here claims to have access to team officials or are part of team meetings.

However, everyone on here does have access to this opinion based fan forum. And in this forum each member is allowed to type their thoughts and feelings.

Everyone but me apparently! :lol:

wayninja
03-29-2012, 10:19 PM
Moar te's and safeties!

HammeredOut
03-29-2012, 10:35 PM
The top TE in the draft might be sitting around when we make the selection.... I think they go with the top available talent at that spot... Who knows with QBs going like hotcakes... Osweiler might be going 1st round...lol... I never did think Tannilhill was much more then a 2nd rounder before Matt Barkley and Company decided to wait another year... I still like Zack Brown OLB... Coby Fleener TE..... Dre Kirpatrick CB.... Stevie Hill GT WR, runs a 436 at 6'5, 200.... Just think with Stevie Hill is big enough to turn into a top flight TE, with world class speed for that position... Hill is an athlete... From a needs standpoint, I would look at it in this order and talent still available..... OLB,TE,CB,WR.... In the second round, pick up Alameda Ta'amu, at 335, 6'3.... Ta'amu and Warren might be a good run stoping duo.... I would even consider moving up to take Ta'amu, if he slides up the rankings...

pipes
03-29-2012, 10:45 PM
Everyone but me apparently! :lol:

Don't think I typed that anywhere...let me check it again...
Nope, never typed that...so, not sure where you got that.

dogfish
03-29-2012, 10:50 PM

oh, come on. . . you mean you don't enjoy clumsy, third-rate sarcasm?

BroncoWave
03-29-2012, 11:39 PM
Don't think I typed that anywhere...let me check it again...
Nope, never typed that...so, not sure where you got that.

Funny, because I also never typed anything of the sort.

topscribe
03-30-2012, 12:32 AM
LOL I am not sure John Elway knows what a Defensive Tackle is.
Oh, I'm sure he does. I remember a few times when a DT would introduce himself to Elway . . . ;)

Magnificent Seven
03-30-2012, 12:51 AM
Denver Broncos' Full Draft Order Set

The official round-by-round order of the 2012 NFL Draft has been set, and the Broncos have seven selections.

Round 1, Pick 25 (25th overall)
Round 2, Pick 25 (57th overall)
Round 3, Pick 25 (87th overall)
Round 4, Pick 13 (108th overall) — From New York Jets
Round 4, Pick 25 (120th overall)
Round 5, Pick 2 (137th overall) — From St. Louis Rams
Round 6, Pick 18 (188th overall) — From New York Jets

Traveler
03-30-2012, 05:56 AM
rest - http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci_20275702/look-broncos-draft-defensive-tackle-first-round-this

Question from yours truly. Still did fully answer the question IMO.

Cugel
03-30-2012, 07:33 PM

That's because that same article could have been written any of the last 5 years, and the Broncos have NEVER used a 1st or 2nd or 3rd round pick on a DT in that time.

So, yes, it's a crying need, but NO we have no idea if they will ever do it. Every year they get stuck when other teams reach for DTs and they say that they didn't like the ones who were available when they picked. Then the one year they can't make that excuse they ignore Dareus and draft Miller.

Miller can become an All-Pro so he's not a bad pick, but they still desperately need a DT. They might take a chance on a guy in the 2nd or 3rd round. I'm still hoping that could happen, but after last year's draft fiasco when they grabbed TE and S instead, I've given up expecting anything. :coffee:

topscribe
03-30-2012, 08:51 PM
That's because that same article could have been written any of the last 5 years, and the Broncos have NEVER used a 1st or 2nd or 3rd round pick on a DT in that time.

So, yes, it's a crying need, but NO we have no idea if they will ever do it. Every year they get stuck when other teams reach for DTs and they say that they didn't like the ones who were available when they picked. Then the one year they can't make that excuse they ignore Dareus and draft Miller.

Miller can become an All-Pro so he's not a bad pick, but they still desperately need a DT. They might take a chance on a guy in the 2nd or 3rd round. I'm still hoping that could happen, but after last year's draft fiasco when they grabbed TE and S instead, I've given up expecting anything. :coffee:
Um, Cug . . . Von Miller was All-Pro last year, second team . . .

DenBronx
03-30-2012, 10:54 PM
Impossible!!!

This is ludacris!!!

Now way we would ever draft a DT in Round 1. We only get those in Rounds 6 & 7 or possibly the ones Cleveland doesn't want anymore.

BroncoWave
03-30-2012, 11:01 PM
People act as if this is the same front office that hasn't picked a DT in the last however many seasons. Yeah they had a shot a Dareus last year, but I'd say Miller was the right pick. I can't wait until we pick one in the first round to shut up all the morons who are convinced that for some reason Denver ignores that position. As if a professional front office would actually ignore any position.

Nomad
03-31-2012, 10:10 AM

Excellent question........I hope it happens and EFXD chooses wisely.

Last year, EFX made the right choice hopefully the trend continues and the "WTF "with the first pick is history:lol:

Cugel
04-01-2012, 12:55 PM
Um, Cug . . . Von Miller was All-Pro last year, second team . . .

I'm only counting the starters as "all-pro." That is a carping exception anyway. He deserved his rookie of the year award and we can all expect to see him go to multiple pro-bowls. I just stated in another thread that Miller was one of Denver's "A-Grade" players -- all pro or elite players, along with Manning, Doom & Champ.

And I still think that it would probably have been better to draft Dareus, who is looking like a dominant DT in the making, which is something they desperately need.

Cugel
04-01-2012, 01:07 PM
People act as if this is the same front office that hasn't picked a DT in the last however many seasons. Yeah they had a shot a Dareus last year, but I'd say Miller was the right pick. I can't wait until we pick one in the first round to shut up all the morons who are convinced that for some reason Denver ignores that position. As if a professional front office would actually ignore any position.

Denver HAS ignored DT during the draft for the last 10 years, so I don't know what you're talking about. The last time the Broncos selected a DT in either the first or second round was 2001 with Paul Toviesi (and we all know how well that turned out!).

Instead they've relied upon useless re-treads and old players cut by other teams. I've posted the sad list over and over.

And no, it's not just McMoron and Shanahan's doing. Xanders is still the GM remember and he was equally complicit with McMoron's worst decisions.

Plus, the Broncos failed to draft a DT last year. It wasn't just choosing Miller over Dareus, they failed to draft one in the 2nd or 3rd round either, instead taking S Rahim Moore -- who they just relegated to backup by signing FS Mike Adams from the Browns for $4 million -- which tells you everything you need to know about what they really think about last year's 2nd round pick.

Could they draft a DT in the first this year? Sure, but I really don't expect it and you shouldn't either.

As for arguing that "as if any professional front office would ignore the position" that is beyond ludicrous. Shanahan and McMoron combined to hire:

Gerrard Warren, Amon Gordon, Jimmy Kennedy, Antwon Burton, Sam Adams, Ron Fields, Dewayne Robertson, Jamal Williams, Justin Bannan, Le Kevin Smith, and now Ty Warren. There were actually a few others whose names I've managed to forget who were equally bad.

All useless washed-up players who did nothing for the team. It was a pattern. Taking the crippled, the useless, the marginal and hoping to make something of it. In 2003 Shanahan actually drafted FOUR DTs (none of them higher than the 4th round) and said publicly that if you throw enough darts at the board one of them is bound to stick.

None of them did. They all stunk and were cut.

That's been the M.O. around here since 2001. So, pardon me if I'm skeptical about a complete turn-around in 2012 when Denver suddenly starts to value DTs and drafts one in the first.

I'd be perfectly happy to admit I'm wrong if they suddenly find an all-pro DT somewhere, but I'm not holding my breath. :coffee:

BroncoWave
04-01-2012, 04:06 PM
Denver HAS ignored DT during the draft for the last 10 years, so I don't know what you're talking about. The last time the Broncos selected a DT in either the first or second round was 2001 with Paul Toviesi (and we all know how well that turned out!).

Instead they've relied upon useless re-treads and old players cut by other teams. I've posted the sad list over and over.

And no, it's not just McMoron and Shanahan's doing. Xanders is still the GM remember and he was equally complicit with McMoron's worst decisions.

Plus, the Broncos failed to draft a DT last year. It wasn't just choosing Miller over Dareus, they failed to draft one in the 2nd or 3rd round either, instead taking S Rahim Moore -- who they just relegated to backup by signing FS Mike Adams from the Browns for $4 million -- which tells you everything you need to know about what they really think about last year's 2nd round pick.

Could they draft a DT in the first this year? Sure, but I really don't expect it and you shouldn't either.

As for arguing that "as if any professional front office would ignore the position" that is beyond ludicrous. Shanahan and McMoron combined to hire:

Gerrard Warren, Amon Gordon, Jimmy Kennedy, Antwon Burton, Sam Adams, Ron Fields, Dewayne Robertson, Jamal Williams, Justin Bannan, Le Kevin Smith, and now Ty Warren. There were actually a few others whose names I've managed to forget who were equally bad.

All useless washed-up players who did nothing for the team. It was a pattern. Taking the crippled, the useless, the marginal and hoping to make something of it. In 2003 Shanahan actually drafted FOUR DTs (none of them higher than the 4th round) and said publicly that if you throw enough darts at the board one of them is bound to stick.

None of them did. They all stunk and were cut.

That's been the M.O. around here since 2001. So, pardon me if I'm skeptical about a complete turn-around in 2012 when Denver suddenly starts to value DTs and drafts one in the first.

I'd be perfectly happy to admit I'm wrong if they suddenly find an all-pro DT somewhere, but I'm not holding my breath. :coffee:

Not drafting a DT is not the same as ignoring it. It's quite possible that in none of those drafts were there a DT they felt had the most value to pick at that spot in the first round. It's not like that's been our ONLY need in the past 10 years.

You're probably right though. They must not even scout DTs or have any on their draft board. That's CLEARLY the only logical explanation.

topscribe
04-01-2012, 05:05 PM
As Adam Schefter said in a recent interview, the Broncos must not force their choice. In other words, there are other positions of needs, too. Defensive tackle may be the most pressing, yet there may be a better player available in a position of need. So, while we all hope they take a DT in the first round, we may see it in the second and/or later rounds. This is a pretty deep DT class . . .

Ravage!!!
04-01-2012, 07:11 PM
I just look forward to all the crying after the draft about not taking a DT. The 3 months of crying about "please lets draft a DT" prior, just wasn't enough for me.

Tned
04-01-2012, 08:00 PM
I just look forward to all the crying after the draft about not taking a DT. The 3 months of crying about "please lets draft a DT" prior, just wasn't enough for me.

Three months, try six years or so...

Nomad
04-02-2012, 10:21 AM

Three months, try six years or so...

YEP! I've been whining for a long time for an ALL PRO DT it seems and still the problem hasn't been resolved......QBs love playing the BRONCOS because they know the pocket will form and they'll have all day. Hopefully this is the year my whining stops.:lol:

topscribe
04-02-2012, 10:26 AM
YEP! I've been whining for a long time for an ALL PRO DT it seems and still the problem hasn't been resolved......QBs love playing the BRONCOS because they know the pocket will form and they'll have all day. Hopefully this is the year my whining stops.:lol:
Almost had one last year, but Von got in the way.

I'm glad he did, actually, but I surely wish we could have had the #3 pick, too . . . :sad:

Nomad
04-02-2012, 10:32 AM
Almost had one last year, but Von got in the way.

I'm glad he did, actually, but I surely wish we could have had the #3 pick, too . . . :sad:

All is forgiven with the Von Miller pick. Imagine what VonDoom would do with a collapsing pocket and instead of those interior olineman going one on one with the BRONCOS DTs, they have to double team, leaving VonDoom to unleash a world of hurt on the QB.

topscribe
04-02-2012, 10:50 AM
All is forgiven with the Von Miller pick. Imagine what VonDoom would do with a collapsing pocket and instead of those interior olineman going one on one with the BRONCOS DTs, they have to double team, leaving VonDoom to unleash a world of hurt on the QB.
Well, there's a lot of talent at DT this year. Maybe this is the year . . .

Cugel
04-02-2012, 11:43 AM
Well, there's a lot of talent at DT this year. Maybe this is the year . . .

TOP, you just can't count on that. NO GM can go into the draft saying "we've got to get a DT!" Not if you are drafting outside the top 5 anyway. To maximize their draft potential they've got to go with the best available player at a position of need.

Would they really take the 5th best DT prospect over perhaps the 2nd or 3rd best LB prospect? Even when that LB might project to be a really good one? (Think Clay Matthews who was drafted #26).

They can't count on getting a DT in the draft this year anymore than they could last year.

Last year they wanted a DT, but they rated Miller more highly than Dareus. Then they were considering trading up to grab Nick Fairley, but they didn't want to pay the price, and anyway he wound up going at #14 to Detroit.

Then when their two second round picks came up, they found reasons to turn up their noses at the DTs still on the boards and took a RT and a S (Rahim Moore-- who they just relegated to the bench by signing Mike Adams for $4 million to start ahead of him at FS).

Sure, they could find a DT in the first round. But they don't know if anybody they like will be there.

And, if they do will that solve their problems? NO! A rookie DT is not going to have much of an impact his first season -- unless he's just incredibly ready to start in the NFL like Dareus was. Most "sure-fire, can't miss" guys like that go in the top 15 picks though, often in the top 10, not at #25.

I would be really surprised if they draft a DT at #25 who comes right in and starts and is an instant success. That's asking rather a lot.

What you want is to bring the rookie along slowly, sit them behind some solid veterans and let them learn how to play DT in the NFL. And then work them into the lineup as their experience and ability level grows and they become more comfortable.

NOT throw them out there to the wolves right out of training camp and expecting miracles because you haven't GOT any good veteran DTs!

LTC Pain
04-02-2012, 11:49 AM
TOP, you just can't count on that. NO GM can go into the draft saying "we've got to get a DT!" Not if you are drafting outside the top 5 anyway. To maximize their draft potential they've got to go with the best available player at a position of need.

Would they really take the 5th best DT prospect over perhaps the 2nd or 3rd best LB prospect? Even when that LB might project to be a really good one? (Think Clay Matthews who was drafted #26).

They can't count on getting a DT in the draft this year anymore than they could last year.

Last year they wanted a DT, but they rated Miller more highly than Dareus. Then they were considering trading up to grab Nick Fairley, but they didn't want to pay the price, and anyway he wound up going at #14 to Detroit.

Then when their two second round picks came up, they found reasons to turn up their noses at the DTs still on the boards and took a RT and a S (Rahim Moore-- who they just relegated to the bench by signing Mike Adams for $4 million to start ahead of him at FS).

Sure, they could find a DT in the first round. But they don't know if anybody they like will be there.

And, if they do will that solve their problems? NO! A rookie DT is not going to have much of an impact his first season -- unless he's just incredibly ready to start in the NFL like Dareus was. Most "sure-fire, can't miss" guys like that go in the top 15 picks though, often in the top 10, not at #25.

So what are you suggesting EFX do then? In one thread your moaning that the Broncos are weak at DT and aren't doing anything about it. Here you are expressing uncertainty what EFX will do in the draft, which is the primary way to get DT help outside of Free Agency.

Nomad
04-02-2012, 12:21 PM
http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/story/17711505/draft-positional-series-down-defensive-linemen

Cugel
04-02-2012, 03:14 PM
So what are you suggesting EFX do then? In one thread your moaning that the Broncos are weak at DT and aren't doing anything about it. Here you are expressing uncertainty what EFX will do in the draft, which is the primary way to get DT help outside of Free Agency.

I'm saying they should have signed Bunkley and Thomas or signed a FA DT and THEN see if they could draft a DT! That's what!

If they weren't set on paying either of those guys, then go out in FA and sign a FA. That would cost more, but so what? If the cupboard is bare because you haven't drafted a DT in the first round since 1997 or the second round since 2002, then that's what you have to do!

But to pretend that you can AUTOMATICALLY get DT help in the draft is just wrong!

What happens if they like 2 or 3 DTs and target them at #25 but other teams like the same players and they are all off the board when the Broncos pick?

Should they reach for a player who might be the 4th or 5th best DT, and not a great prospect according to their scouts? Or should they give up on DT and draft a G, C, or MLB if someone potentially great falls?

That's what happened last year remember? They didn't want to take Dareus when they could have, and then they didn't like any of the prospects they had a chance to draft in the 2nd even though they had 2 2nd round draft picks! Nor in the 3rd so once again they wound up with NOTHING at their position of greatest long term need.

Instead they took a S who they have since relegated to the bench! That clearly was a mistake or they wouldn't have given Mike Adams $4 million to come here and start over Moore after using Moore last year. He's being demoted and for a player entering his 2nd season to be demoted from starter to backup means they're not happy with him, no matter what they say. :coffee: