PDA

View Full Version : More on the mini-camp

MasterShake
04-20-2009, 11:16 AM
Didn't see this posted. Apologies if it was!
Good stuff on the Qb's.

http://i164.photobucket.com/albums/u14/Kenobi1_bucket/Picture1-2.png
Broncos taking in a lot of new information at minicamp
Comments | Recommend
April 19, 2009 - 6:56 PM
FRANK SCHWAB
ENGLEWOOD • Twice during Sunday’s workout, Kyle Orton threw a nice pass downfield. Both times, the receiver wasn’t within 10 yards of the ball because of miscommunication.

The Denver Broncos still are learning new systems on offense and defense under an almost entirely new coaching staff. Orton was acquired April 2 in a trade and had only two weeks to prepare for the three-day minicamp that ended Sunday.

“It’s your first minicamp,” Orton said. “We have a long ways to go, but people are putting in the work and the effort. We’ll get there.”

Not only are coach Josh McDaniels’ schemes new, there are few similarities to what Denver did under Mike Shanahan. Offensively, there are more one-back sets and more shotgun formations with quick, short passes. The running game likely will feature many more options.

“We have a large variety of runs,” running back LaMont Jordan said. “We run the stretch, we run the power, counter, inside zone, outside zone, traps — we do it all.”

Defensively, the scheme has changed to an alignment with three linemen and four linebackers. Last season, the Broncos experimented some with the 3-4 but used a 4-3 most of the time.

Some players are learning new positions. Elvis Dumervil, Jarvis Moss and Tim Crowder have switched from defensive end to outside linebacker. Wesley Woodyard, who was an outside linebacker, played inside linebacker Sunday.

There were mistakes during the up-tempo, high-energy practice, but McDaniels said he expected that early in the offseason.

“There’s a long way to go, but there were definitely signs of progress everywhere we were working,” he said. “There were a lot of things taught and installed for the first time.”

The biggest learning burden probably falls on the quarterbacks. Orton and Chris Simms split the repetitions in practice as each battles for the starting job. Both quarterbacks admitted to some mistakes.

“It’s something new, but the more time you put into it the more you get out of it,” Orton said. “I don’t think it’s going to be a problem come the season.”

Simms threw with good velocity and seemed more comfortable than Orton. However, Simms had a head start after signing in early March.

“I’m not going to say I’m Albert Einstein, but I’m a pretty smart guy and they’ve shown they like guys with a little size,” Simms said. “And I can throw it a little too, so I think those are all strengths for being in this system.”

broncofaninfla
04-20-2009, 12:23 PM
I can't wait to see "who" is playing "where" for us this season on defense.

MasterShake
04-20-2009, 12:26 PM
I can't wait to see "who" is playing "where" for us this season on defense.

I know. I was really down with Shanahan and Cutler being gone, but this is really a "new" team in every sense of the word. Like getting a crazy young stripper wife after 20 years of marriage- its exciting and kind of wrong all at once!

broncofaninfla
04-20-2009, 12:28 PM
I know. I was really down with Shanahan and Cutler being gone, but this is really a "new" team in every sense of the word. Like getting a crazy young stripper wife after 20 years of marriage- its exciting and kind of wrong all at once!

:laugh: True!

claymore
04-20-2009, 12:28 PM

Unless she has aids. Then your just screwed with a stripper wife with aids.

MasterShake
04-20-2009, 12:30 PM
Unless she has aids. Then your just screwed with a stripper wife with aids.

Well, in that analogy Shanahan was the first wife, so I'd take my chances.

CoachChaz
04-20-2009, 12:45 PM
Trust me...sometimes the stripper with AIDS is a better choice. The fun may not last very long, but it's going to be a blast while it does.

Peerless
04-20-2009, 12:51 PM
Is it just me, or does Orton look a little weird in that picture?

topscribe
04-20-2009, 12:53 PM
I like that picture. Orton dwarfs McD. lol

-----

NightTrainLayne
04-20-2009, 12:55 PM
Is it just me, or does Orton look a little weird in that picture?

It must just be you, because I think he looks a little weird in EVERY picture.

nevcraw
04-20-2009, 01:14 PM
Orton looks like he came from the same woods where Ned Beatty had to squeal like a pig..

Dean
04-20-2009, 01:25 PM
I can't help but wonder what Sigmund Freud would make of this thread?
;)

Superchop 7
04-20-2009, 09:34 PM
I can't help but wonder what Sigmund Freud would make of this thread?

__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ________________

;)A man should not strive to eliminate his complexes but to get into accord with them: they are legitimately what directs his conduct in the world.
Sigmund Freud

__________________________________________________ ________________________________________