PDA

View Full Version : Many hands make Broncos rushing attack

Denver Native (Carol)
04-19-2009, 07:58 PM
http://www.gazette.com/sports/jordan_52061___article.html/broncos_new.html

LaMont Jordan, who spent last year with New England, said if you want to know what the Denver Broncos' identity will be, just watch the Patriots. If that holds true for the running game, prepare to see many different tailbacks run the ball.

Last year, with new Broncos head coach Josh McDaniels running the Patriots offense, only one back had more than 100 carries - Sammy Morris with 156. Kevin Faulk had 83, Jordan had 80, BenJarvus Green-Ellis had 74 and Laurence Maroney had 28. New England had 21 rushing touchdowns as a team and nobody had more than seven.

So if you play fantasy football and are trying to handicap the Broncos' tailback situation, it might be best to stop trying.

"We've got a lot of depth at the running back position," running back Peyton Hillis said. "Even if we're all switching out every play, or one guy starts and another guy gets hurt, we always know we have another guy back there to do the job."

Even if spreading the wealth among Correll Buckhalter, J.J. Arrington, Jordan, Hillis and anyone else that gets in the mix doesn't make for gaudy individual stats, the group approach can be effective.

New England's leading back, Morris, gained only 727 yards but the Patriots finished sixth in the NFL in rushing yards last season. Everyone had a role in New England, whether it was Morris and Jordan alternating to pound the ball up the middle or Faulk getting to the outside or catching passes out of the backfield. After McDaniels was hired as head coach, the Broncos tried to replicate that mix of backs.

Buckhalter was signed first. He was a good all-around back in Philadelphia but never gained more than 586 yards in any of his eight seasons there. Arrington, like Faulk, emerged as a receiving threat out of the backfield last season with Arizona. Jordan, a bruiser at 230 pounds, was also added. Hillis is a versatile threat who impressed last year as a rookie when pressed into tailback duty, and fellow holdovers Ryan Torain and Selvin Young are still on the roster.

The various parts could combine to serve the Broncos' running game well, even if nobody stands out.

"I'm a true believer that if I'm at my best, then I'm one of the best backs in the league," Jordan said. "I'm sure ‘Buck' thinks the same thing, I'm sure S. Young, I'm sure J.J., I'm sure they all think the same thing, and that's what's going to make this running back competition that much better. We all think we can be dominant running backs in the NFL."

Den21vsBal19
04-19-2009, 08:04 PM
One thing I wouldn't be suprised if we saw is Hillis as the primary goalline back, possibly with Larsen or AN Other lining up as the FB in those circumstances.

Lonestar
04-19-2009, 09:35 PM
Reading that sounds to me like we are going to see RBBC opposed to Stud buffalo like mikey used....

Which is going to be one more thing for the Mc Daniels haters to whine about..

red98
04-19-2009, 10:00 PM
Reading that sounds to me like we are going to see RBBC opposed to Stud buffalo like mikey used....

Mikey ran RBBC since at least 2005, who were you watching?

Lonestar
04-19-2009, 10:09 PM
Mikey ran RBBC since at least 2005, who were you watching?

I guess you were not watching each year when he thought he had a stud buffalo only to find out he did not and HAD to do RBBC..

That was what he wanted to do but wound up not able to do it BECAUSE he failed at finding the next TD with all of his late round RB's..

Ravage!!!
04-19-2009, 10:10 PM

when was the last time Shanahan used a 'stud' buffalo RB??? :confused:

red98
04-19-2009, 10:14 PM
I guess you were not watching each year when he thought he had a stud buffalo only to find out he did not and HAD to do RBBC..

That was what he wanted to do but wound up not able to do it BECAUSE he failed at finding the next TD with all of his late round RB's..

Jr, since you can read Mikey's mind, can you tell me where he'll be coaching next year?

NameUsedBefore
04-19-2009, 10:15 PM
Clinton Portis and Travis Henry, who actually was a Buffalo >_>

We don't need a stud, we just need someone who can stay healthy or out of jail. Our running game last year was okay except for the fact that there was no consistency in who was running the ball and that it was unusable in the second half while we were getting blown out (or the starter had gone down by that point). Instead we'd start the game with Selvin Young and end it with Andre Hall, then start the next game with Hall and end with Hillis, then the next start with Hillis and end with Bell etc. It's not exactly something you want. Although if the defense remains unchanged then it doesn't matter what we do on offense.

Lonestar
04-19-2009, 10:18 PM
when was the last time Shanahan used a 'stud' buffalo RB??? :confused:

the last time he had a real one.. poorti$$$$. and MA to a degree..

It was not because he did not want to it was because no one stepped up and stayed healthy..

Lonestar
04-19-2009, 10:19 PM
Jr, since you can read Mikey's mind, can you tell me where he'll be coaching next year?

no where isn't it great

AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

red98
04-19-2009, 10:25 PM
no where isn't it great

AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Ok, that was funny. :D

bcbronc
04-19-2009, 10:27 PM

weren't you on your soapbox calling for a stud buffalo the past couple of years? I'd think it would be you whining over this, if anyone. :confused:

I expect our running game to be solid this year, with the guys currently on the roster. a Hillis/Jordon backfield gives us nearly 500 lbs of versatile beef, as both can pick up the tough yardage between the tackles, catch, and block. Buckhalter, when healthy, is a very good all-around back. Young and JJ can battle it out for the 3rd down back roll, and Torain is a dark horse that looked really good in the few plays he got last year. we might not have a dominant, every down back on the roster, but we do have a back for every situation.

Ravage!!!
04-19-2009, 10:31 PM
weren't you on your soapbox calling for a stud buffalo the past couple of years? I'd think it would be you whining over this, if anyone. :confused:

I expect our running game to be solid this year, with the guys currently on the roster. a Hillis/Jordon backfield gives us nearly 500 lbs of versatile beef, as both can pick up the tough yardage between the tackles, catch, and block. Buckhalter, when healthy, is a very good all-around back. Young and JJ can battle it out for the 3rd down back roll, and Torain is a dark horse that looked really good in the few plays he got last year. we might not have a dominant, every down back on the roster, but we do have a back for every situation.

I too like the idea of Jordan and Hillis. I'm not a "Torain" guy... but at the same time am curious to see if he can look good for longer than 15 carries. If he can at least stay healthy for 100 carries a season, I think he could be a viable contributor with his strength.

Lonestar
04-20-2009, 01:47 AM

THe stud buffalo is dead and buried in DEN.. YEs I always liked to have one BUT none of the mokes that mikey DAFTED where ever to be..

He was in love with late round picks that were way to light. to take a beating game after game..thinking that the ZBS would fix all..

AND that was folly also..

Hobe
04-20-2009, 09:40 AM
Sammy Morris with 156. Kevin Faulk had 83, Jordan had 80, BenJarvus Green-Ellis had 74 and Laurence Maroney had 28

It's not surprising that any of the backs could step up as the lead ball carrier. They are all just journeyman backs, back-ups, or committee backs if you will.

So far Buckhalter, Arrington, and Young have show no more then Jordan. Torain hasn't had the chance and may not get one in Denver. I still think Hillis has show more then any of these guys in his breif chance. I think you are writting him off far to soon.

underrated29
04-20-2009, 11:10 AM
I said it before i will say it again. If we do not draft a High RB this year. LJ (lamont Jordan) will be our starting back and he will KILL IT! I have always been a big fan of his, he, just like the res of our guys, just needs to stay healthy.

Our team should be called the denver band-aids.