PDA

View Full Version : What Will Our Record Be Next Year?

WARHORSE
03-28-2012, 12:07 AM
Considering Manning will be teaching his system to the offense, I think early on we may not be as fluent as we might like. But should get stronger as the year goes on. We need a strong draft, and some health. I hope for some AFC West games early on.

Opponents we must face:

Home: Kansas City Chiefs-Cassell, Oakland Raiders-Palmer, San Diego Chargers-Rivers, Cleveland Browns-McCoy?, Pittsburgh Steelers-Big Ben, Houston Texans-Schaub, New Orleans Saints (http://www.nfl.com/teams/neworleanssaints/profile?team=NO)-Brees, Tampa Bay Buccaneers (http://www.nfl.com/teams/tampabaybuccaneers/profile?team=TB)-Freeman
Away: Kansas City Chiefs, Oakland Raiders, San Diego Chargers, Baltimore Ravens-Flacco, Cincinnati Bengals-Dalton, New England Patriots-Brady, Atlanta Falcons (http://www.nfl.com/teams/atlantafalcons/profile?team=ATL)-Ryan, Carolina Panthers (http://www.nfl.com/teams/carolinapanthers/profile?team=CAR)-Newton

Davii
03-28-2012, 12:14 AM
I said 11, but only to tone down the enthusiasm. Bear in mind, this is regular season win total, add wins to the SB.

Canmore
03-28-2012, 12:16 AM
Considering Manning will be teaching his system to the offense, I think early on we may not be as fluent as we might like. But should get stronger as the year goes on. We need a strong draft, and some health. I hope for some AFC West games early on.

Opponents we must face:

Home: Kansas City Chiefs-Cassell, Oakland Raiders-Palmer, San Diego Chargers-Rivers, Cleveland Browns-McCoy?, Pittsburgh Steelers-Big Ben, Houston Texans-Schaub, New Orleans Saints (http://www.nfl.com/teams/neworleanssaints/profile?team=NO)-Brees, Tampa Bay Buccaneers (http://www.nfl.com/teams/tampabaybuccaneers/profile?team=TB)-Freeman
Away: Kansas City Chiefs, Oakland Raiders, San Diego Chargers, Baltimore Ravens-Flacco, Cincinnati Bengals-Dalton, New England Patriots-Brady, Atlanta Falcons (http://www.nfl.com/teams/atlantafalcons/profile?team=ATL)-Ryan, Carolina Panthers (http://www.nfl.com/teams/carolinapanthers/profile?team=CAR)-Newton

As early as it is and not knowing the final product makes this difficult. I'm sure there will be some growing pains early. With that said I feel we are a 10 or 11 win team with the schedule we are facing. I picked 10-6.

underrated29
03-28-2012, 12:27 AM
i wont answer until after the draft. I think I like how this is going, but there are some moves and things that im like wtf? So. I cant say until after the draft.

But to humor this thread, assuming there was no draft for any team and we just finished FA and went into reg season, id say 9-7 and first round loss in playoffs.

We have a god awful schedule this year. Here is the thing with this team, and why i want to wait until draft.

If you put our offense on the field and then lined up our defense against them, and then took a diamond and placed it right in the middle of the line of scrimmage, that is where I have major Major concerns. So for the visually impaired, that would be both DT positions and LBs and Center and G and FB......im not worried about receivers, if we sign dallas clark I will be pissed. RB is fine, QB ok too...defense, on the edges I like our team but LB and DT scare the piss out of me. Depending on how we draft, we could go up to 12-13 wins.

DisturbedShifty
03-28-2012, 12:41 AM
The only major hurtles I see Denver facing is the Patriots, Steelers, Baltimore, Texans and MAYBE Cinici. Other than that, you guys have a week ass division, ESPECIALLY with Manning at the helm.

dogfish
03-28-2012, 03:16 AM
16-3

13 regular season wins, one divisional round win, one conference championship win. . . and the whole ****in' enchilada, baby!

cut that meat!!

:woot: :defense:

Bullgator
03-28-2012, 04:19 AM
Anyone going to take in the account that Manning may not finish the season?

WAY too many question marks for me to think double digits... God forbid Manning gets hurt Denver is the new winless Indy...

SR
03-28-2012, 05:11 AM
Anyone going to take in the account that Manning may not finish the season?

WAY too many question marks for me to think double digits... God forbid Manning gets hurt Denver is the new winless Indy...

You would say some stupid shit.

And no, you don't take that in to account because that would be worst case scenario and you always think best case in conversations like this.

SR
03-28-2012, 05:12 AM
My guess is 9-7 just because of the question marks up the middle on defense. I'd like to think that with this team Peyton is the difference between a lucky 8-8 and a legit 11-5 or 12-4 but defense worries me.

Joel
03-28-2012, 06:40 AM
I love how people think Manning magically filled a dozen or so big holes. Hopefully, Porter is a big upgrade over Goodman (not that that's saying much,) but otherwise we're pretty much the same team that was 4-12 two years ago and started 1-4 last year. People can sneer at Tebow as much as they like, but the fact remains we went 7-4 with him at the helm, 8-5 if we count the playoffs. I don't see Manning doing much better, since he can't duck out of a tackle and run for 20 yards every time Franklin whiffs a block, Clady decides he doesn't want another holding penalty, or a defender runs over Beadles/Walton.

The AFC West should be better (with the possible exception of SD,) and we have a first place schedule. I don't expect more than wins against the weak AFCN/NFCS team and breaking even (with luck) in the Division. Obviously, that's subject to change if we strike draft gold three or four times, but otherwise I'm settled in hoping we find a solid young replacement for Manning when he retires in two years (even though no young QB in his right mind would get near Denver now; we only want proven HoFers,) because that's the earliest I expect a title contender.

I know Manning is (or was) an exceptional QB who put up 14 win seasons in Indy, but I also know Ryan Lilja's in KC, Jeff Saturday's in Baltimore, and Reggie Wayne's still in Indy. Clark's still available, and four years younger than Manning; maybe if we sign him, then lure Edgerrin James and Marvin Harrison out of retirement, we can go from the youngest to oldest team in the league. Then we're only a time machine and Tony Dungy defense away from winning 1 Super Bowl in ten years. Most of the time we'd have to settle for one and done, and only get that win because we faced Denvers awful pass def—oh... crap.... :(

I hate to be a Debbie Downer, but a reality check is clearly needed and will probably come no later than Halloween. Quarterbacks are not panaceas, and great ones don't turn losers into champs; I thought I left that idea back in junior high, but Elway should know better. With our line, I'll count this season a win if Manning finishes every game, but we had to make McGahee an "every down back" because we HAVE no one else (though I still like Johnson) and if Thomas recovered from dropsy, he infected Decker first. We still have no pass coverage deep or over the middle, and lost our only effective defender against runs up the gut.

We got lots o' problems Peyton Manning can't solve, some of which jeopardize his ability to move under his own power, let alone win games. We have a long way to go, and dropping $20 million/year on a guy who'll be retired before we can assemble any support for him was a step in the wrong direction, however good it felt at the time.

Nomad
03-28-2012, 07:48 AM
My guess is 9-7 just because of the question marks up the middle on defense. I'd like to think that with this team Peyton is the difference between a lucky 8-8 and a legit 11-5 or 12-4 but defense worries me.

I don't see Manning being the same.......:defense: will be the key and until EFXD fixes the defense 9-7 seems like a strong possibility. As UR said, let's see after the draft.

rjent
03-28-2012, 10:36 AM
I love how people think Manning magically filled a dozen or so big holes. Hopefully, Porter is a big upgrade over Goodman (not that that's saying much,) but otherwise we're pretty much the same team that was 4-12 two years ago and started 1-4 last year. People can sneer at Tebow as much as they like, but the fact remains we went 7-4 with him at the helm, 8-5 if we count the playoffs. I don't see Manning doing much better, since he can't duck out of a tackle and run for 20 yards every time Franklin whiffs a block, Clady decides he doesn't want another holding penalty, or a defender runs over Beadles/Walton.

The AFC West should be better (with the possible exception of SD,) and we have a first place schedule. I don't expect more than wins against the weak AFCN/NFCS team and breaking even (with luck) in the Division. Obviously, that's subject to change if we strike draft gold three or four times, but otherwise I'm settled in hoping we find a solid young replacement for Manning when he retires in two years (even though no young QB in his right mind would get near Denver now; we only want proven HoFers,) because that's the earliest I expect a title contender.

I know Manning is (or was) an exceptional QB who put up 14 win seasons in Indy, but I also know Ryan Lilja's in KC, Jeff Saturday's in Baltimore, and Reggie Wayne's still in Indy. Clark's still available, and four years younger than Manning; maybe if we sign him, then lure Edgerrin James and Marvin Harrison out of retirement, we can go from the youngest to oldest team in the league. Then we're only a time machine and Tony Dungy defense away from winning 1 Super Bowl in ten years. Most of the time we'd have to settle for one and done, and only get that win because we faced Denvers awful pass def—oh... crap.... :(

I hate to be a Debbie Downer, but a reality check is clearly needed and will probably come no later than Halloween. Quarterbacks are not panaceas, and great ones don't turn losers into champs; I thought I left that idea back in junior high, but Elway should know better. With our line, I'll count this season a win if Manning finishes every game, but we had to make McGahee an "every down back" because we HAVE no one else (though I still like Johnson) and if Thomas recovered from dropsy, he infected Decker first. We still have no pass coverage deep or over the middle, and lost our only effective defender against runs up the gut.

We got lots o' problems Peyton Manning can't solve, some of which jeopardize his ability to move under his own power, let alone win games. We have a long way to go, and dropping $20 million/year on a guy who'll be retired before we can assemble any support for him was a step in the wrong direction, however good it felt at the time.

I agree to a certain extent, but in my opinion, I EXPECT a playoff berth and better. If we don't then this is all for nothing and we GAVE away a future legend. All I have been hearing on this board and from the organization, is that manning is going to get us to the promised land. It better happen or there will be a mutiny .....

I am actually glad we don't face the Jets this year, it would have been embarrassing to lose to them .....

JMO

(see what I did ... I said it all without using the "T" word .... :lol:)

Ravage!!!
03-28-2012, 10:51 AM
I agree to a certain extent, but in my opinion, I EXPECT a playoff berth and better. If we don't then this is all for nothing and we GAVE away a future legend. All I have been hearing on this board and from the organization, is that manning is going to get us to the promised land. It better happen or there will be a mutiny .....

I am actually glad we don't face the Jets this year, it would have been embarrassing to lose to them .....

JMO

I completely disagree with this message. I don't think there will be mutiny at all, and don't believe that NOT going to the Super Bowl makes the trade for 'nothing.' Made the Broncos better, thats all that matters.

As far as the record.... this year's schedule is a TOUGH one, and Manning in his first year with a new team, with new players. Sometimes that clicks right away, sometimes not. Manning is great, and makes players around him better, no question about it.

I think we are a 10 team win with Manning on the team. Thats with a tough schedule. But I wish we played teh Jets this year.

OrangeHoof
03-28-2012, 10:53 AM
I, too, am pessimistic right now. I see a 7-9 season and possibly a third-place finish in the division. There is still the draft to come and free agency acquisitions but, right now, I still see too many holes and Manning, by himself, is not going to fix all that ails us. Plus, if Peyton is lost for any significant part of the season then 4-12 is entirely possible.

Northman
03-28-2012, 11:04 AM
Right now on the surface i say 10-6.

Grover
03-28-2012, 11:05 AM

Wow, Dude. Way to rain on the parade. :rain:

I voted 10-6.

I disagree with one of the posters above about needing to do this particular vote without projecting what we do in the draft. To me, we are guessing about next season which will be after the draft, so you've got to include some hypotheticals that most likely include a first round DT and maybe some help at Linebacker, running back, OL and Receiver. Yes, Manning can't escape defenders who get by our OL, but Manning does get passes out fast, which is different than our last starting Quarterback. We have Jack Del Rio as DC which I feel is an improvement, we have a true off season to get the new schemes developed, so we don't need to reinvent ourselves mid-season, and we have Peyton Freeking Manning at Quarterback. Based on all that, the record will be better than last year.

vandammage13
03-28-2012, 11:26 AM

JMO

Playoffs? TT should have a few starts in by then...That would be the most hyped game of all time.

WARHORSE
03-28-2012, 11:28 AM

And I think youre completely wrong. (with respect) In 6 games last year, all of them wins, Tebow completed 10 passes or less. We led the league in 3 and outs.......by far.

Joel, we ACTUALLY WON A GAME IN WHICH WE COMPLETED ONLY 2 PASSES.

This is modern day NFL, and while Tebow came through in the clutch alot, Manning is going to score points. We will play with the lead alot more. And just like last year, but even more so, our defense is going to keep us in games.

Mark it down.....the pass rush is going to be killer this year if we stay healthy. Ayers will be better. Von will be better. Doom will be better.

We will win alot more than the 8 games we won last year.

My opium anyway.:coffee:

:D

WARHORSE
03-28-2012, 11:34 AM
I think its pretty funny Bullgator thinks we're going to win only 7 games.

No offense Gator....

SR
03-28-2012, 11:45 AM

No offense Gator....

He's a ree ree.

vandammage13
03-28-2012, 11:53 AM
And I think youre completely wrong. (with respect) In 6 games last year, all of them wins, Tebow completed 10 passes or less. We led the league in 3 and outs.......by far.

This is modern day NFL, and while Tebow came through in the clutch alot, Manning is going to score points. We will play with the lead alot more. And just like last year, but even more so, our defense is going to keep us in games.

Mark it down.....the pass rush is going to be killer this year if we stay healthy. Ayers will be better. Von will be better. Doom will be better.

And also was an integral part of the #1 rushing attack in the league....Proof that you can still win games with the tried and true method of playing sound D, Running the ball, and limiting TO's.

We would all like to see our QB put up huge passing numbers...But Tim's ability to make plays with his feet made up for his lack of production in the air...There's more than one way to skin a cat.

I saw interesting numbers posted before that in TT's 15 Starts as a Bronco, he put up 3,800+ yards of total offense and accounted for 28 TD's (These numbers exlude his 2010 spot duty before the final 3 starts)...That's pretty darn good for a guy making his first 15 starts. Few have put up better total offense over their first season's worth of starts in the NFL.

The bottom line is it was a formula for winning...Say what you want about completion % or whatever, but the wins speak for themselves even if they defy your own perpetual logic.

jhildebrand
03-28-2012, 12:22 PM
Too early to tell. Have to see the draft. Have to see what happens with suspended players.

Surface feels like 9-7 or 10-6 but it is too early to tell.

Chef Zambini
03-28-2012, 03:07 PM
if we can win 7 regular season games with tim, I definately think we can win 10 games with MANNING !
tebow started 6-0, the leaUGE WAS CONFUSED AND MESMERIZED BY HIS ABNORMAL QB behavior.
tebow finished 2-5.
I always say the way you finished is who you are.
JMCD started out 6-0 too,
howe did he finish?
I rest my case.
adding MANNING subtracted the circus that is TEBOW, can I also count that as a victory?
after this season, the JETS willbe loking for a REAL QB, either via the draft or free agency.
We will be EXCITED about looking forward to MANNINGS second year as a bronco and the very real pursuit of the Lombardi !

Northman
03-28-2012, 03:20 PM

Agreed. If the team stays healthy they will win way more than 7 or 8 games.

sneakers
03-28-2012, 04:18 PM
Where is 16 wins? :mad:

Bullgator
03-28-2012, 04:48 PM

No offense Gator....

Have you thought about that the Manning you are getting will never be the manning of old?

You guys dont even know what you have in him yet.. HE doesn't even know what he has in him yet.. he said so himself that he isn't all the way back yet... who can tall me for sure he will EVER be back?

we are not talking about a taped ankle... this is his NECK.

Look I know that after getting rid of Tebow that the fans HAVE to be all in with Manning... I mean what else is there to have hope in?

BUT If I were you I would go into this season like I AM with my Gators... Hoping to go 500. Expecting to win 12 games will ruin the season for you... it WILL be heart break. too many things can still not materialize/go wrong to be so optimistic. The expectaions are way too high... go in with the thought of 8 wins and Im happy and then you can have a magical year possibly...

Like you did last year... did any of you (except me) think you would win a home playoff game? no most thought 5-6 wins.

Low expectations are your friend people. let the cake be 7-8 wins and the rest icing... or else you wont get even the cake.

Northman
03-28-2012, 05:15 PM
BUT If I were you I would go into this season like I AM with my Gators... Hoping to go 500. The expectaions are way too high... go in with the thought of 8 wins and Im happy and then you can have a magical year possibly...

No offense, but i would only have that outlook with Tebow or some other QB who isnt on par with guys like Manning, Brady, etc. Hell, i think if we kept Tim we wouldnt reach 8 wins this year. It is a brutal schedule but people quickly forget that it was just in 2010 that Manning had a great year. Yes, he didnt play last year but there is nothing other than "speculation" that Manning will fail or fall apart. NOWHERE is there any indication before his injury that the guy was declining at such a rapid pace as you guys try to paint here. Like i said, i dont deal in what if's. Any player could get hurt and the season would be toast but knowing who Manning is and how he runs the offense gives me a lot of optimism. Something people kept saying i didnt have last year. So now we get a bonafide QB and im supposed to be pessimistic? Really? Sorry, if Manning and the team stays healthy i see at the very least 10 wins this season and i have far more "hope" this year than i would have initially.

Bullgator
03-28-2012, 05:42 PM
No offense, but i would only have that outlook with Tebow or some other QB who isnt on par with guys like Manning, Brady, etc. Hell, i think if we kept Tim we wouldnt reach 8 wins this year. It is a brutal schedule but people quickly forget that it was just in 2010 that Manning had a great year. Yes, he didnt play last year but there is nothing other than "speculation" that Manning will fail or fall apart. NOWHERE is there any indication before his injury that the guy was declining at such a rapid pace as you guys try to paint here. Like i said, i dont deal in what if's. Any player could get hurt and the season would be toast but knowing who Manning is and how he runs the offense gives me a lot of optimism. Something people kept saying i didnt have last year. So now we get a bonafide QB and im supposed to be pessimistic? Really? Sorry, if Manning and the team stays healthy i see at the very least 10 wins this season and i have far more "hope" this year than i would have initially.

If manning GETS healthy you will repeat as AFC west champs and you will make a splash in the playoffs I would guess... not stays healthy but gets healthy and the stays healthy. even he has said that he is not back yet. IMO this was just a brilliant exit strat for the FO as far as the Tebow dilemma was concerned... one with great upside and potentially epicly disastrous down side.

we shall see

Canmore
03-28-2012, 05:51 PM
If manning GETS healthy you will repeat as AFC west champs and you will make a splash in the playoffs I would guess... not stays healthy but gets healthy and the stays healthy. even he has said that he is not back yet. IMO this was just a brilliant exit strat for the FO as far as the Tebow dilemma was concerned... one with great upside and potentially epicly disastrous down side.

we shall see

Yes, we will see. You roll the dice and take your chances. It's definitely a gamble. Still, it's one worth taking.

Was this an exit strategy? Maybe. I'm not convinced one way or the other.

SmilinAssasSin27
03-28-2012, 08:10 PM
Well...I think we go at least 4-2 in the division. Oakland has no draft picks and actually lost talent via FA. KC will finish last. SD still has talent and Rivers and Gates can always ball.

I don't think 3-1 vs the AFC North is out of the question, but 2-2 is more likely. Cincy is solid, but unspectacular. Cleveland sucks. Bmore's D is 1 year older. Pitt is a shell of themselves. They are in a huge transition year.

Vs the NFC South, we beat Tampa and Carolina. We'll shoot out w/ Atlanta and NO and se where the dust settles.

Then there is New England and Houston. I think we will struggle here. That said...there are NO great teams in the AFC. A lot will depend on Manning getting acclimated quickly and the defense continuing to improve.

8-8 to 10-6 is a reasonable projetion IMHO. I picked 9 wins...but if Maning was that big of a difference in Indy, we at leat showed we can play some D at times last year.

CrazyHorse
03-29-2012, 12:46 AM
10-6 regular season. 2 more wins in the playoffs.

Canmore
03-29-2012, 12:50 AM
10-6 regular season. 2 more wins in the playoffs.

Why not three in the playoffs and a Lombardi?

I think you may be pretty much spot on seriously.

Joel
03-29-2012, 03:09 AM
I completely disagree with this message. I don't think there will be mutiny at all, and don't believe that NOT going to the Super Bowl makes the trade for 'nothing.' Made the Broncos better, thats all that matters.As far as the record.... this year's schedule is a TOUGH one, and Manning in his first year with a new team, with new players. Sometimes that clicks right away, sometimes not.The problem (apart from health) is it MUST click right away or Manning's an expensive waste of time. If he weren't retiring before the bi-annual Broncos mutiny against non-champion QBs, he might not have signed.
Wow, Dude. Way to rain on the parade. :rain:Don't schedule a parade in the path of a hurricane then blame the weatherman. :tongue: I'm sure Peytonanna is very nice, but he can't block Terrell Suggs or John Abraham, and it's illegal for him to catch his own passes.
I voted 10-6.I disagree with one of the posters above about needing to do this particular vote without projecting what we do in the draft. To me, we are guessing about next season which will be after the draft, so you've got to include some hypotheticals that most likely include a first round DT and maybe some help at Linebacker, running back, OL and Receiver. Yes, Manning can't escape defenders who get by our OL, but Manning does get passes out fast, which is different than our last starting Quarterback. We have Jack Del Rio as DC which I feel is an improvement, we have a true off season to get the new schemes developed, so we don't need to reinvent ourselves mid-season, and we have Peyton Freeking Manning at Quarterback. Based on all that, the record will be better than last year.The draft could make a difference, but probably not more than two players worth this year, about 20% of what we need. We pick 25th, then have two more in the top 100; how much does anyone think that will get?
And I think youre completely wrong. (with respect) In 6 games last year, all of them wins, Tebow completed 10 passes or less. We led the league in 3 and outs.......by far.Joel, we ACTUALLY WON A GAME IN WHICH WE COMPLETED ONLY 2 PASSES.2To be fair, it's hard to complete passes teams don't throw, and hard to sustain drives when defenses know they WON'T throw unless it's 3rd and 15 (when it's also hard to complete passes; even Tom Terrific gets SACKED on 17% of third downs.) Our passing attack wasn't fierce, by any means, and the one area where it was (the long ball) Manning delivers (when healthy) at a much higher level than Tebow. However, I've never subscribed to the theory our passing woes were entirely the fault of a scrub second year passer and wholly unrelated to scrub second year receivers and linemen. This year should settle that argument, though I'd bet money that when the wheels come off the bus people just blame Mannings neck, say he lied about being healthy and demand he return the $20 million Denver's paying him this year. For some reason, that's less frustrating and depressing than admitting the TEAM (NOT the QB) just isn't very good, even if it means ignoring problems that must be fixed to become good.
This is modern day NFL, and while Tebow came through in the clutch alot, Manning is going to score points. We will play with the lead alot more. And just like last year, but even more so, our defense is going to keep us in games.I don't take any of that for granted. The only way a QB can score points by himself is running, which Manning didn't do even when healthy. That makes the prospect of playing with a lead often highly speculative, IMHO. And just like last year, we have no pass coverage deep or over the middle and are vulnerable to end runs; unlike last year, Brodrick Bunkley won't be there to stop runs up the gut. Our offense may have to keep our defense in games, and Manning can't do that with only one reliable receiver and lineman.
Mark it down.....the pass rush is going to be killer this year if we stay healthy. Ayers will be better. Von will be better. Doom will be better.People insisted VonDoom would destroy Brady; even after they managed ONE sack between them, we reenacted the same debate a month later. We'll see if the third time's the charm, but we lack (much) more than a pass rush, which is no more a panacea than a great QB is.
We will win alot more than the 8 games we won last year.My opium anyway.:coffee::DI hope you're right, but even matching last years total would exceed my expectations as much as it did then.

Canmore
03-29-2012, 03:31 AM
...People insisted VonDoom would destroy Brady; even after they managed ONE sack between them, we reenacted the same debate a month later. We'll see if the third time's the charm, but we lack (much) more than a pass rush, which is no more a panacea than a great QB is.I hope you're right, but even matching last years total would exceed my expectations as much as it did then.

Miller, like Dumervil, playing with one hand was largely ineffective. In the playoffs stars have to be stars and Miller was handicapped. NO surprise to me. Even if Miller had been at full strength all Brady did was step up into a clean pocket. We badly need someone to collapse the pocket. EFX are you listening.

A healthy Manning, and we will soon find out if he is healthy, is worth 10 wins with this team. I love your analysis' but I think you underestimate the team we have and Peyton Manning.

CrazyHorse
03-29-2012, 03:42 AM
Why not three in the playoffs and a Lombardi?

I think you may be pretty much spot on seriously.

That would imply a first round bye which probably won't happen at 10-6. 3 more wins would mean we lose the Super Bowl.

Canmore
03-29-2012, 03:44 AM
That would imply a first round bye which probably won't happen at 10-6. 3 more wins would mean we lose the Super Bowl.

I knew somebody was going to call me on that response, lol.

Cugel
03-29-2012, 01:03 PM
I hate to be a Debbie Downer, but a reality check is clearly needed and will probably come no later than Halloween. Quarterbacks are not panaceas,

Most of Joel's posts are simply silly. I do NOT consider myself a "orange-colored-glasses" man at all. Last year I thought they'd win 5 or 6 games and might win 2 or 3. This is the first time since McMoron came to town that I'm at all optimistic starting the season and am predicting a winning 10-6 record.

This year the schedule is much tougher.

But, Manning AVERAGED about 12 wins a season for a team that just went 2-12 without him last year. Probably the shock of losing Manning hurt them some, but the Colts were exposed as a BAD team without Manning and are now totally rebuilding.

Yet they won 10 games with him in 2010, won their division and lost by 1 point to the Jets in the playoffs. I doubt that 2010 Indy team was much better than their 2011 imitation of the Washington Generals (those stiffs whose job it was to lose every game to the Harlem Globetrotters). It was obviously MANNING who got them into the playoffs when they clearly didn't deserve to be there.

Just like the 1999 Broncos who fell to 6-10 from 13-3 without Elway.

As for Manning's medical condition, a bunch of doctors cleared him to play. He's not 100% but should be alright by the start of the regular season.

His skills might deteriorate some due to age, but Elway's didn't at a greater age. His neck injury is no more likely to be a problem than the injury of any other player. That injury is healed. I'd be surprised if he was much worse than he was in 2009 before his injury.

While predictions of 12-4 against that brutal schedule are probably over-optimistic, 10-6 given 6 games against the weak AFC West is perfectly possible. Oakland sucks and have no draft picks to get better. KC is still without a good QB. SD hasn't really been good in years and has lost most of their impact players from 3, 4 years ago (Vincent Jackson, L.T., Darren Sproles, Jamal Williams, Shawne Merriman, etc.) without replacing them with equal talent.

rjent
03-29-2012, 04:19 PM
Most of Joel's posts are simply silly. I do NOT consider myself a "orange-colored-glasses" man at all. Last year I thought they'd win 5 or 6 games and might win 2 or 3. This is the first time since McMoron came to town that I'm at all optimistic starting the season and am predicting a winning 10-6 record.

This year the schedule is much tougher.

But, Manning AVERAGED about 12 wins a season for a team that just went 2-12 without him last year. Probably the shock of losing Manning hurt them some, but the Colts were exposed as a BAD team without Manning and are now totally rebuilding.

Yet they won 10 games with him in 2010, won their division and lost by 1 point to the Jets in the playoffs. I doubt that 2010 Indy team was much better than their 2011 imitation of the Washington Generals (those stiffs whose job it was to lose every game to the Harlem Globetrotters). It was obviously MANNING who got them into the playoffs when they clearly didn't deserve to be there.

Just like the 1999 Broncos who fell to 6-10 from 13-3 without Elway.

As for Manning's medical condition, a bunch of doctors cleared him to play. He's not 100% but should be alright by the start of the regular season.

His skills might deteriorate some due to age, but Elway's didn't at a greater age. His neck injury is no more likely to be a problem than the injury of any other player. That injury is healed. I'd be surprised if he was much worse than he was in 2009 before his injury.

While predictions of 12-4 against that brutal schedule are probably over-optimistic, 10-6 given 6 games against the weak AFC West is perfectly possible. Oakland sucks and have no draft picks to get better. KC is still without a good QB. SD hasn't really been good in years and has lost most of their impact players from 3, 4 years ago (Vincent Jackson, L.T., Darren Sproles, Jamal Williams, Shawne Merriman, etc.) without replacing them with equal talent.

Aren't we glad we don't have to listen to just one person :lol:

I find Joel's posts refreshing and pretty much right in line with reality.

And, If I was Joel, I would be offended by your lack of propriety ......

Just MY opinion of course ...

Joel
03-29-2012, 07:25 PM
Miller, like Dumervil, playing with one hand was largely ineffective. In the playoffs stars have to be stars and Miller was handicapped. NO surprise to me. Even if Miller had been at full strength all Brady did was step up into a clean pocket. We badly need someone to collapse the pocket. EFX are you listening.
According to Brodrick Bunkley, the answer is a resounding "no." The Pats have what we don't: A great offensive line. Even the Giants didn't get to Brady much (though he did throw a pivotal SB pick when they did.) They seem to have found a much better rookie RT than we did, which is pathetic given that we finished next to last the previous year and they went to the Divisional round of the playoffs.

A healthy Manning, and we will soon find out if he is healthy, is worth 10 wins with this team. I love your analysis' but I think you underestimate the team we have and Peyton Manning.
Maybe; I certainly underestimated them last year. My main concern is that we sucked in the trenches to begin with, but Kuper had a devastating injury and Bunkley's in LA, which makes Manning as much of a target as an asset. That's not helped by the fact he has no one to throw to but Thomas (and Dreesen now; I keep forgetting him) and our 30 year old RB has to start breaking tackles as soon as he gets the snap. Add to that the fact we have no pass coverage deep or over the middle and, well, just how much do you expect Manning to do by himself?

Most of Joel's posts are simply silly. I do NOT consider myself a "orange-colored-glasses" man at all. Last year I thought they'd win 5 or 6 games and might win 2 or 3. This is the first time since McMoron came to town that I'm at all optimistic starting the season and am predicting a winning 10-6 record.This year the schedule is much tougher. But, Manning AVERAGED about 12 wins a season for a team that just went 2-12 without him last year. Probably the shock of losing Manning hurt them some, but the Colts were exposed as a BAD team without Manning and are now totally rebuilding. Yet they won 10 games with him in 2010, won their division and lost by 1 point to the Jets in the playoffs. I doubt that 2010 Indy team was much better than their 2011 imitation of the Washington Generals (those stiffs whose job it was to lose every game to the Harlem Globetrotters). It was obviously MANNING who got them into the playoffs when they clearly didn't deserve to be there.Just like the 1999 Broncos who fell to 6-10 from 13-3 without Elway.
Why guess? Their 2010 and 2011 rosters aren't hard to find: http://www.pro-football-reference.com/teams/clt/2010.htm http://www.pro-football-reference.com/teams/clt/2011_roster.htm

It was the line as much as the QB. Rookie LT. Additionally, second year RT, while their previous RT, Ryan Diem, moved to RG and missed 5 games (he announced his retirement a week ago, and Saturday's a Packer; sucks to be Luck) and their former RG moved to LG when he wasn't spelling Diem, Constanzo or Linkenbach; he missed about half the season. The only lineman they could depend on last year was Saturday, a sorry environment for any QB, let alone one who's been riding the pine behind Peyton Manning. He probably thought he had the most awesome job in the world until Manning went down for the year.

If Beadles were two years older and could play center, we'd have the 2011 Colts line. :eek: Of course, it's not QUITE that simple; the AFC South was a pretty awful Division in 2010 and the Colts practically won it by default (as they did most of the past decade: The Jags are never better than mediocre, the Texans were a crappy expansion team until last season and Bud Adams refuses to allow the Titans to maintain more than a season of success; there's a reason Indy was so often one-and-done (just as in 2010) despite cruising to a 12+ win season. ;))

As for Manning's medical condition, a bunch of doctors cleared him to play. He's not 100% but should be alright by the start of the regular season.His skills might deteriorate some due to age, but Elway's didn't at a greater age. His neck injury is no more likely to be a problem than the injury of any other player. That injury is healed. I'd be surprised if he was much worse than he was in 2009 before his injury.
His skills will deteriorate due to age, and probably already have to some degree. So had Elways at that age; if you really think he had the same skills in SB XXXII that he did in SB XXII, I suggest rewatching both games. :tongue: I'm sure Manning's as healthy as a man who's had four spinal surgeries in the past 7 months can be. :) That doesn't mean those fused vertebræ are good as new, and I worry about ANY QB playing behind THIS line. I don't question whether he can start, but whether he can finish. If not, we get to start Caleb Hanie....

I didn't think the AFCW that bad last year and still don't. The Chiefs RBs are healthy again, and I truly envy their line now that they have Eric Winston along with Lilja and Wiegmann (every time I think about them getting Wiegmann back cheap after we replaced him with Walton I stick another pin in my McDumbass voodoo doll. :mad:) I think they may be the team to beat, because they have the solid D Oakland lacks.

Speaking of Oakland, however, you aren't the only one who noticed how hard FA hit them: The League awarded them no less than THREE compensatory draft picks, so their cupboard isn't as bare as everyone seems to think. San Diego is the team I expect to battle for last place in the Division.

Three wins there, with luck, plus (hopefully) Cincy, Cleveland, Carolina and Tampa. That's 7, but I'll go ±1, depending on whether we're lucky against Atlanta or win in SD without bad luck elsewhere.

wayninja
03-29-2012, 10:08 PM
I voted 11. I don't buy into this 'we have brutal schedule' stuff as teams teams that were good last year are not necessarily the same as next year. I don't expect the Saints, for example, to be nearly as good as last year.

If we can win 7 with Tebow, 11 shouldn't be that hard with Manning. I guess we will see how it plays out.

BroncoNut
03-30-2012, 12:14 PM
10 and 6

Ravage!!!
03-30-2012, 02:30 PM
I don't buy into this "we are doomed with our OL" stuff. 10 games, as Manning himself is worth several.

Chef Zambini
03-31-2012, 08:57 AM
joel, are you not aware that we signed Tamme?
as in someone to throw to tamme?

Nomad
03-31-2012, 09:57 AM

You'd be amazed how much improved the secondary will be and how VonDoom's game could open up with an interior pass rush. After all, the other teams will supposedly be playing catch up.

I'm skeptical of Manning being the same, but if he is, he can get the best out of any offense. I believe this draft will be an important part in our overall performance and it starts with the dine.

I said 9-7, but hey it will be great if Manning proves skeptics like me wrong. Even though rusty, Manning alone does give the BRONCOS 1 to 2 more wins

Joel
03-31-2012, 02:01 PM
joel, are you not aware that we signed Tamme?
as in someone to throw to tamme?
I'm aware, but more optimistic about Dreesen, who was a fine receiving TE with a far worse QB than Manning throwing to him. Has anyone considered that Manning making poor to average receivers look the stars they aren't may be the only one anyone even knows who Tamme is? Let's wait a couple years before we crown him the next Shannon Sharpe or Tony Gonzalez

Ravage!!!
03-31-2012, 02:06 PM
I'm aware, but more optimistic about Dreesen, who was a fine receiving TE with a far worse QB than Manning throwing to him. Has anyone considered that Manning making poor to average receivers look the stars they aren't may be the only one anyone even knows who Tamme is? Let's wait a couple years before we crown him the next Shannon Sharpe or Tony Gonzalez

Tamme had a GREAT season in only 6 games, with Manning, when given the chance. I'm not going to judge Tamme as he would be with another QB throwing to him, because MANNING is throwing to him. I think Tamme will absolutely be the main TE target for Peyton, hands down.

Tned
03-31-2012, 11:54 PM
Ok, it's real early to make a decision about the Broncos, not to mention the other teams. However, this is my preliminary:

HOME:
W Oakland
W Kansas City
W San Diego
W Pittsburgh
W Cleveland
W Tampa Bay
L New Orleans
L Houston

Note: I decided to split SD, Pit, NO and Hou, figuring the Broncos will win two and lose two. So, the W/L on those are more a reflection of how I think they will do against those four, but the W/L on those four could move around.

AWAY:
W Oakland
W Kansas City
L San Diego
L Baltimore
W Cincinnati
W Atlanta
W Carolina
L New England

I could easily put SD and even Baltimore in the W column (although Bal is VERY tough at home.

So, that puts them at 11-5, but I could easily see them jumping up to 13 if everything went well and they find good DT and S play from someone. On the flip side, I see about 8-8 at the low point, but I would say that right now, I see a range of 9-13 wins with 11 sounding about right.

Joel
04-01-2012, 04:06 AM
Tamme had a GREAT season in only 6 games, with Manning, when given the chance. I'm not going to judge Tamme as he would be with another QB throwing to him, because MANNING is throwing to him. I think Tamme will absolutely be the main TE target for Peyton, hands down.
Well, if it doesn't matter how good a guy is as long as Manning is throwing to him, I'll play for a lot less than Tamme, and I'm only a year older than Manning. :tongue: If six games were a great season, Decker and Thomas would've made the Pro Bowl. I'm still banking on Dreesen, who's got a lot more than six games worth of production, with a far worse QB than Manning. I may be out of Denvers budget, but at least they got A Joel. :tongue: