PDA

View Full Version : Closing out camp

Dean
04-19-2009, 07:04 PM
I didn't see this posted so if it is any of the mods can delete or merge it. There is a little more personnel information than has been mentioned previously like Dumervil and our almost invisible DE out of Texas (Crowder).

http://blog.denverbroncos.com/denverbroncos/closing-out-camp

The Broncos’ first mini-camp of the Josh McDaniels era wrapped up on Sunday, and it did nothing if not get the players and coaches even more excited for this year’s campaign.

“It was great,” McDaniels said. “You could see the energy that’s out here — the players are practicing hard, the coaches are coaching hard and everybody has the same goal in mind, which is to get better every day. We’re going to pay the price right now to try to win in September.”

Sunday’s practice was open to the media, so here are some quick hits from the session:

Coach McDaniels has certainly taken a hands-on approach for the first three practices. Not only has he rotated from position group to position group, he’s also gotten involved in some of the drills. He lined up as a defensive back to make sure the receivers were running crisp routes, and even tried to slap the ball away from running backs to stress ball control as they finished up a drill.
“He’s had some good offenses over the last few years in New England, and you don’t get that way by just sitting back in your chair and watching TV,” Chris Simms said. “I think he’s a pretty hands-on guy.”

Speaking of coaches being up-close-and-personal, Jabar Gaffney and Offensive Line Coach Rick Dennison got to know each other a little better Sunday morning. During 7-on-7 drills, Kyle Orton dropped back and launched a pass to Gaffney, who was streaking past his defender down the sideline. Players began to shout as Gaffney neared the offensive line position group, and the receiver made quite a catch over his shoulder before running right into the back of Dennison. The coach hopped right back up with a smile, and the offensive line applauded as Gaffney jogged back to the huddle, got a fist pound from Chad Jackson and a laugh and high five from Orton.
“I said ‘Great catch’ to Jabar and I’ll try not to do that again,” Orton said with a smile. “But it was a great play.”

Orton and Simms split the repetitions evenly throughout Sunday’s practice, and afterward the two were asked separately how to describe the process of learning McDaniels’ offensive system.
“Whatever you put into it is what you get out,” Orton said. “There are plenty of teams implementing new systems and plenty of quarterbacks that have to learn new systems, so it’s nothing overly challenging. Just come in and put the work in — it’s not rocket science.”

Simms agreed that it might not be rocket science, but he had another metaphor ready.

“It’s a new language,” he said. “Any time you’re learning a new language things are going to be hard, just trying to get everybody on the same page. There are some new routes for receivers that they haven’t run before, and there are routes that I haven’t thrown before, so it’s a matter of us all getting on the same page.”

The snow hasn’t melted from the team’s practice field, so once again they took to the “bubble,” an indoor field surrounded by a dome that looks like it’s made out of a Moon Bounce. But being forced indoors didn’t stop Matt Prater from practicing field goals. Lonie Paxton snapped the ball to Brett Kern, who held for Prater, and the kicker simply booted the ball against the side of the dome.
The quarterbacks were involved in an interesting drill during practice — fielding ground balls and tossing the baseball back toward the wall of the dome.
“Just trying to get quick feet, quick hands and get the ball out,” Orton explained.

Plenty of fans seem to be interested in how the linebacker corps is taking shape this offseason. Here’s one update — Wesley Woodyard said he’s been taking some repetitions at inside linebacker when the team runs a 3-4. He said it’s not much different from the role he played last season — “just flying around, making plays,” he said. It seems to be working out so far — during 7-on-7 drills he read a route the whole way, jumped it and returned an interception to the endzone, which resulted in plenty of shouting from the defensive sideline.
A few new faces took some snaps with the linebackers during 7-on-7 drills as well, including Elvis Dumervil and Tim Crowder.
“It was kind of shocking at first, but to see (Dumervil) drop out of there, him and Tim Crowder, to be able to drop back, they look like linebackers out there like they’ve been doing it for years,” Woodyard said. “So it’s been a pretty good fit for those guys.”

Now that this mini-camp is over, the team can look foward to the NFL Draft, which starts this Saturday.

“I think it’s always exciting when you get an opportunity to add good football players to your team, whether it be through free agency or the draft,” McDaniels said. “The draft offers a lot of good young players and we’re looking forward to the ones that are going to end up as Broncos here after seven or eight days.”

Italianmobstr7
04-19-2009, 07:18 PM
Glad to hear Woodyard is doing good! I would love if he somehow snatched a starting spot. He played really well for us last year when he played. He can lay the wood, and he's got great speed.

honz
04-19-2009, 07:19 PM
There are also interviews with Dawkins and McD from Sunday in the video section of http://denverbroncos.com.

Denver Native (Carol)
04-19-2009, 08:06 PM
Photo gallary from camp:

http://web1.denverbroncos.com/page.php?id=340&galleryID=663

tubby
04-19-2009, 08:09 PM
Nice find

ikillz0mbies
04-19-2009, 08:12 PM
Interesting to hear Dumervil's and Crowder's name thrown out there. I wonder how Moss is doing. Also, it's great to know that McDaniels is getting heavily involved to make sure the players are doing the right things. I'm very excited for this upcoming season! Great read!

Superchop 7
04-19-2009, 08:57 PM
Wesley friggin Woodyard......I guess somebody forget to tell him he can't play inside.

That guy "is" a football player, and thats the highest compliment I can give.

A walking, talking, living, breathing throwback.

(Hillis is the other)

Lonestar
04-19-2009, 09:23 PM
Wesley friggin Woodyard......I guess somebody forget to tell him he can't play inside.

(Hillis is the other)

While I really like Woodyard an ILB under 220 is not going to last in the NFL..

Hillis if given a cahnce will beat the other RB's we currently have out of a job.. To big aload to bring down..

LordTrychon
04-19-2009, 09:28 PM
Great read, thanks!

Starting to get excited for the season! :D:cool:

TXBRONC
04-19-2009, 10:20 PM

(Hillis is the other)

It's practice with no contact Chop. I like Woodyard's toughness but at 220 lbs or so I don't how he would hold up.

Ravage!!!
04-19-2009, 10:25 PM
Ideally an inside LB in a 3-4 weighs around 240. I know there is a big difference in 220 and 240, but the ILB in a 34 isn't like the MLB of a 43. IDEALLY he would put some weight on, but even if he only puts on 10 lbs, he's nearly "ideal' for a 34 ILB.

Can he put on 10 lbs? I think thats a pretty reasonable expectation. If not, he would be a light ILB.... but depending on his frame, that doesn't mean he's WAY undersized.

LordTrychon
04-19-2009, 10:28 PM
He could call Merriman's nutritionist...

hotcarl
04-19-2009, 10:29 PM
looks like raji

TXBRONC
04-19-2009, 10:40 PM
Ideally an inside LB in a 3-4 weighs around 240. I know there is a big difference in 220 and 240, but the ILB in a 34 isn't like the MLB of a 43. IDEALLY he would put some weight on, but even if he only puts on 10 lbs, he's nearly "ideal' for a 34 ILB.

Can he put on 10 lbs? I think thats a pretty reasonable expectation. If not, he would be a light ILB.... but depending on his frame, that doesn't mean he's WAY undersized.

I don't know Rav, even at 230 lbs he would more than likely be outweighed by opposing offensive guards by about 85 lbs.

Ravage!!!
04-19-2009, 10:46 PM
I don't know Rav, even at 230 lbs he would more than likely be outweighed by opposing offensive guards by about 85 lbs.

yeah... but a 240 would be outweighed by 75. If you are outweighed by 75 lbs, do you think that extra 10 would be the deciding factor?

I'm just sayin... that if the guy can play.. at 220 (although light) isn't the same as if he was playing inside in a 43. In the 34, the OLB are the big guys.

I'm not saying woodyard is ideal by any means. I'm just saying that at 220, he's not as outweighed if he was an inside (or MLB) in a 43. Sometimes, whether its a RB, QB, WR or LB.... an undersized guy can get the job done if he's a player (although, I'm like you and wouldn't want to RELY on an undersized guy ).

bcbronc
04-19-2009, 10:51 PM
Donnie Edwards put up a 1000 tackle career at ILB. he's listed at 224lbs.

LordTrychon
04-19-2009, 10:53 PM
yeah... but a 240 would be outweighed by 75. If you are outweighed by 75 lbs, do you think that extra 10 would be the deciding factor?

I'm just sayin... that if the guy can play.. at 220 (although light) isn't the same as if he was playing inside in a 43. In the 34, the OLB are the big guys.

I'm not saying woodyard is ideal by any means. I'm just saying that at 220, he's not as outweighed if he was an inside (or MLB) in a 43. Sometimes, whether its a RB, QB, WR or LB.... an undersized guy can get the job done if he's a player (although, I'm like you and wouldn't want to RELY on an undersized guy ).

Unless he proved he could play, right?

I'm willing to give him a shot. If it's just in OTAs and Training Camp, and someone else beats him out... that's fine. Play the best man.

If he seems to be the best man for the job... let him try it in the real season.

If he plays well... I'm willing to rely on him for a bit.

bcbronc
04-19-2009, 10:54 PM
Interesting to hear Dumervil's and Crowder's name thrown out there. I wonder how Moss is doing. Also, it's great to know that McDaniels is getting heavily involved to make sure the players are doing the right things. I'm very excited for this upcoming season! Great read!

hearing Doom and Crowder looked good standing up is some of the best news of the offseason. It would be HUGE for us if even one of them could emerge into a legit starter for us.

Ravage!!!
04-19-2009, 10:55 PM
Unless he proved he could play, right?

I'm willing to give him a shot. If it's just in OTAs and Training Camp, and someone else beats him out... that's fine. Play the best man.

If he seems to be the best man for the job... let him try it in the real season.

If he plays well... I'm willing to rely on him for a bit.

Right... :beer:

Rick
04-19-2009, 11:09 PM

If the line is doing its job he won't even see them.

When it comes to the inside linebackers, one is generally a run stuffing player who is better able to handle offensive linemen and stop running backs when the offense features a running play, while the other is often a smaller, faster player who excels in pass coverage.

Woodyard certainly should gain some weight if he can but sounds to me like he would be perfect in the mold of the smaller, faster player who excels in pass coverage.

Rick
04-19-2009, 11:11 PM
hearing Doom and Crowder looked good standing up is some of the best news of the offseason. It would be HUGE for us if even one of them could emerge into a legit starter for us.

If these guys can succesfully make the transition to outside LBer this could be some of the best news on this team as not only would it allow the teams best pass rusher to remain on the field it would mean less positions needing to be filled, can concentrate elsewhere.

Lonestar
04-20-2009, 01:35 AM

Yet in late OCT or early NOV he was on a local TV show and stated he was currently playing at 212... so maybe another ten pounds are not going to do anything..

Elevation inc
04-20-2009, 02:38 AM
good news for woodyard, although i believe in 3-4 looks during pass situations is when we will see him. i dont see him as the starter i see Dj and davis as the ILb starters with larsen as depth and woodyard as a passing down player, he was a safety for a short bit and does have good ballhawk skills he could really be a benefit to our pass defense from the lb spot. also in 4-3 looks he will probally be starting WLB while Dj plays the Mike role......

as for crowder and dumervil if they can lock down the weak and strong OLb spots that would be huge for us

broncofaninfla
04-20-2009, 07:31 AM
I never even considered WW at ILB. The kid is a player, this might very well be the spot for him.

Traveler
04-20-2009, 07:46 AM
Another nice offseason fluff piece. I'll wait till they put the pads on in training camp.

As to Crowder, I remember reading that he looked really good during the linebacker drills at the Combine the year he came out. So, it isn't surprising to hear he has looked good in this mini-camp. No mention of Moss? Hmm....

Requiem / The Dagda
04-20-2009, 07:57 AM
Don't let me down, Timmy Crowder!

broncofaninfla
04-20-2009, 08:50 AM
I knew Doom and Moss were getting a shot at OLB, had no idea about Crowder.

CoachChaz
04-20-2009, 08:57 AM
I put very little value in one players assessment of anothers. As if WW would sit there and say Crowder and Doom looked like crap

underrated29
04-20-2009, 11:28 AM
well when moss and crowder came out they put up similiar if not better numbers than most of the top LB in the draft today. Mug made a big thread about this and i am starting to see his point. We will probably give them a chance to prove themselves which they should. And only take 1-2 LB total.

Traveler
04-20-2009, 02:46 PM
Any news on which position Marcus Thomas was lined up? His skill set is better suited to play the DE in a 3-4 IMO.