PDA

View Full Version : Consensus Mock Draft

SmilinAssasSin27
04-19-2009, 12:55 PM
Kay folks, w/ a week to go, let's get a consensus on how this draft thing may go. We'll start w/ the #1 selection. Detroit is up. All signs point to Matthew Stafford. Some also say Jason Smith, OT, Baylor. They drafted Cherilus, OT, BC last year, but he was less than stellar. He could move to RT if Smith was to be taken. Then again, they have no QB. Crabtree and Curry are also options, albeit unlikely ones.

I would personally take Smith, but I think they will take Stafford. So Stafford is my pick here. Anyone else agree or disagree?

RESULTS

1) Detroit Lions select Matthew Stafford, QB, Georgia
2) St. Louis Rams select Jason Smith, OT, Oregon
3) Kansas City Chiefs select Aaron Curry, LB, Wake Forest
4) Seattle Seahawks select Eugene Monroe, OT, Virginia
5) Cleveland Browns select Michael Crabtree, WR, Texas Tech
6) Cincinnati Bengals select Andre Smith, OT, Alabama
7) Oakland Raiders select Jeremy Maclin, WR, Missouri
8) Jacksonville Jaguars select BJ Raji, DT, Boston College
9) Green Bay Packers select, Brian Orakpo, DE/OLB, Texas
10) Mark Sanchez, QB, USC

****Feel free to move this to draft page. I though I was there...Sorry***

Northman
04-19-2009, 12:58 PM
Smart Pick: Jason Smith

If they really want a Qb they should give a shot down the line for Freeman or someone but secure the line first.

Actual Pick: Matthew Stafford

SmilinAssasSin27
04-19-2009, 01:10 PM
OK...since the nation's consensus seems to be Stafford and he's got 2 out of 2 votes here, we can move on. Stafford is the pick for Detroit.

The Rams are up next. The national consensus seems to be Jason Smith, OT, Baylor. Other needs include WR (Crabtree and Avery could be a nice combo), QB (Sanchez could be groomed by Bulger) and LB (Curry is a beast). My vote is for Smith. Anyone else?

Northman
04-19-2009, 01:13 PM
Solid Choice Smilin however im going to throw in a wrench here. With the loss of Holt it would mean their offense will become stagnant and with the uncertanity with Jackson's health year in and year out i like Crabtree here. Crabtree will give them the Ommph back into their receiving core.

Smart Pick: Michael Crabtree

Actual Pick: Jason Smith

SmilinAssasSin27
04-19-2009, 01:17 PM
Solid Choice Smilin however im going to throw in a wrench here. With the loss of Holt it would mean their offense will become stagnant and with the uncertanity with Jackson's health year in and year out i like Crabtree here. Crabtree will give them the Ommph back into their receiving core.

I actually agree...Crabtree and Avery would be a nasty combination at wideout. Their line does need a whole lotta fixin though.

Northman
04-19-2009, 01:18 PM
I actually agree...Crabtree and Avery would be a nasty combination at wideout. Their line does need a whole lotta fixin though.

Yea, thats a team that i think needs a lot of help and they could probably go any direction and it would help them. :lol:

SmilinAssasSin27
04-19-2009, 01:31 PM
Anyone else have a vote for the Rams' pick?

honz
04-19-2009, 01:41 PM
The Rams need a LT. If Smith is there, they take him.

SmilinAssasSin27
04-19-2009, 01:50 PM
Good enough for me.

Jason Smith it is.

Next up, Kansas City...

Quite a few options here. Aaron Curry, LB, Wake Forest seems to be the popular choice, but they also need OLine help. And if they go OT, which OT do they take? Andre Smith (Alabama)? Eugene Monroe (Virginia)? Monroe could re-unite with fomer UVA teammate Albert. Although they drafted a DT in rd 1 last year, BJ Raji (BC) as a nose in their new 3-4 may be tempting as well.

I personally think this draft has too many LBs and not enough OTs, so I'm voting for Eugene Monroe, OT, Virginia. Cassell needs protected.

well???

Ravage!!!
04-19-2009, 01:52 PM
Chiefs used their first round pick on a DT and LT last season. The LT played very good (when healthy). They are like Denver, they need defense in a big BIG way. They go with Curry and the fans love that choice.

Using the #3 pick on a RT or guard just doesn't make sense.. not for that kind of money.

oobehr
04-19-2009, 02:03 PM
I am gonna throw in a surprise and say they trade that pick and a third for the bills two first rounders and the bills take Monroe.

Wait, I am gonna say their first and a 2010 second for the bills 2 firsts this year.

Northman
04-19-2009, 02:05 PM
Smart Pick: Aaron Curry

Actual Pick: Aaron Curry

Unfortuantely for K.C the idiots upstairs have been cleaned out. No more reaches or uneeded picks will we see from K.C anymore. Cassell was brought in because the guys upstairs dont think thigpen is the answer which means they feel the Oline is good enough with a "better" Qb behind it. Time will tell but i think this is the true no-brainer for K.C here.

SmilinAssasSin27
04-19-2009, 02:05 PM
So that is 2 votes for Curry, 1 vote for Monroe and 1 vote for a trade.

SmilinAssasSin27
04-19-2009, 02:23 PM
I see you lurking psych. who gets your vote? honz?

honz
04-19-2009, 02:23 PM
Curry. Their defense was almost as bad as ours I think and their offense actually did some good things last year...plus they just selected Alberts last year.

SmilinAssasSin27
04-19-2009, 02:38 PM
Okay...The Chiefs select Curry, LB, Wake Forest.

Next up..Seattle Seahawks

This should be a fun one. They just signed TJ whoseyermomma, but putting Crabtree alongside him would do wonders for the offense. They also have a need on the OLine. Their Dline seems to be in good shape, but OLB is now a need after their trade w/ the Lions. Their RBs suck too, but IMO it's way too early for Wells. Then there is the QB position. Sanchez being a west coast guy who could be groomed under Hasselbeck is very tempting, but the immediate need for QB is lacking. I gotta go w/ Monroe here. Their OLine is way too bad not to try and fix it here. If they suck again, there will be plenty of nice QBs in the 2010 draft.

Ravage!!!
04-19-2009, 02:59 PM
I don't think a team REALLY passes on a bird in the hand for 'two in the bush.' I hear a lot of people saying WE should pass on Sanchez because next year's draft is better with QBs. Maybe. It takes just ONE injury to one future QB, and that draft class starts to looker normal very fast. We know Tebow will not be looked upon as a high-choice QB in the NFL.

That being said.... it all comes down to how high the Seahawks view Sanchez as a QB. People are enamored with the kid after interviews and workouts. The kid is absolutely dazzling the GMs and coaches.

Seemingly, they don't really need a QB. But just how much is the GM dazzled? I think a OT is more important to them than any WR at this juncture. They signed Housh to be their #1, so I don't think they spend MORE money on another #1.

I think Monroe is the pick.

SmilinAssasSin27
04-19-2009, 03:06 PM
I don't think a team REALLY passes on a bird in the hand for 'two in the bush.' I hear a lot of people saying WE should pass on Sanchez because next year's draft is better with QBs. Maybe. It takes just ONE injury to one future QB, and that draft class starts to looker normal very fast. We know Tebow will not be looked upon as a high-choice QB in the NFL.

That being said.... it all comes down to how high the Seahawks view Sanchez as a QB. People are enamored with the kid after interviews and workouts. The kid is absolutely dazzling the GMs and coaches.

Seemingly, they don't really need a QB. But just how much is the GM dazzled? I think a OT is more important to them than any WR at this juncture. They signed Housh to be their #1, so I don't think they spend MORE money on another #1.

I think Monroe is the pick.

I don't think that the 2010 class is the reason I'd pass on Sanchez. It's just worth noting that you can always have next year's draft if you wanna give your guy 1 more year. The reason i wouldn't draft Sanchez is due to their below average OLine.

oobehr
04-19-2009, 03:06 PM
I am gonna go with Monroe because I just don't see them gambling on Sanchez when they can instantly improve their pass and run game with a great OT. Jim Mora likes to run, not throw all over the place.

SmilinAssasSin27
04-19-2009, 03:07 PM
so that is 3 votes for Monroe to take over LT in Seattle.

Anyone else have an opinion?

oobehr
04-19-2009, 03:17 PM
I am pretty sure no matter who else goes top 3, the hawks will go Monroe if he falls to them.

SmilinAssasSin27
04-19-2009, 03:21 PM
We'll go Monroe then.

Cleveland Browns are up next.

IMO it's a no brainer...Michael Crabtree, WR, Texas Tech. Braylon is on the trade block and they have no other WRs to speak of. Other "options" include Brian Orakpo, DE/OLB, Texas and some would say Mark Sanchez. More names include Jenkins, Raji, Wells and Maclin.

oobehr
04-19-2009, 03:24 PM
This one could go 3 ways:
Give Quinn or whoever is starting a big play wide reciever in Crabtree
Give Mangini a new pass rusher in orakpo
or give Rodgers up in a trade and get Raji.

I am going to go with Orakpo.

honz
04-19-2009, 03:24 PM
Crabtree if they trade Braylon. If not, maybe Raji.

SmilinAssasSin27
04-19-2009, 03:25 PM
This one could go 3 ways:
Give Quinn or whoever is starting a big play wide reciever in Crabtree
Give Mangini a new pass rusher in orakpo
or give Rodgers up in a trade and get Raji.

Yeah...but for the sake of this thread, ya have to pick one. :hi:

SmilinAssasSin27
04-19-2009, 03:31 PM
Alright...I'm goin out. If ya'll choose to continue w/o me feel free. My votes for the following teams would be:

Cincy...Andre Smith, OT, Bama or Michael Oher, OT, Mississippi
Oakland...Jeremy Maclin, WR, Mizzou, Brian Orakpo, DE, Texas or BJ Raji, NT, BC
Jacksonville...Mark Sanchez, QB, USC or Maclin
Green Bay...BJ Raji, Orakpo, Aaron Maybin or Tyson Jackson
San Fran...Sanchez, Orakpo, Raji or Maybin

dogfish
04-19-2009, 04:00 PM
cleveland takes crabtree-- the bungles take andre smith. . . .

SmilinAssasSin27
04-19-2009, 04:53 PM
I second the Andre Smith pick for Cincy. Anyone else?

oobehr
04-19-2009, 05:22 PM
yeah cincy goes for smith.

SmilinAssasSin27
04-19-2009, 05:26 PM
Andre Smith it shall be.

Next up...Oakland Raiders.

I have no friggin idea what they will do here. Most say Maclin, but my gut says Orakpo or Maybin. They are fine at LB and solid enough in the secondary not to reach on Jenkins. I'm goin w/ Orakpo here.

Ravage!!!
04-19-2009, 05:30 PM
I can't help think that they again go offense. It just seems to be the way Oakland thinks. They have the money they spent on T, QB, RB.... I'm guessing he spends a first round pick on a WR now since they don't really have one other than the "walker and lelie" duo... (ironically on the same team now)

So.. I'm going with Maclin

oobehr
04-19-2009, 05:30 PM
Maclin is the consensus I would say but Mayock is throwing heyward-bey as then sleeper for them. I am going with Maclin though.

dogfish
04-19-2009, 06:07 PM
there's no logical way to predict what the cryptkeeper will do, but i'm also saying maclin. . . .

horsepig
04-19-2009, 06:17 PM
"the Cryptkeeper", lmfao. Good'un Dog.

oobehr
04-19-2009, 06:29 PM
So far we have:

1. Matthew Stafford
2. Jason Smith
3. Aaron Curry
4. Eugene Monroe
5. Michael Crabtree
6. Andre Smith
7. Jeremy Maclin
8. ?

dogfish
04-19-2009, 06:38 PM
i think the jags take raji. . . .

horsepig
04-19-2009, 06:43 PM
Jags have always been big on run stoppers (rightfully so, IMO) and will definitely take Raji if he's still there.

bullis26
04-19-2009, 06:48 PM

disagree.... they need o-line help badly, build in the trenches is the smart way to do this

MOtorboat
04-19-2009, 06:49 PM
i think the jags take raji. . . .

Jags have always been big on run stoppers (rightfully so, IMO) and will definitely take Raji if he's still there.

With Maclin gone, I'd probably say Raji too.

hotcarl
04-19-2009, 07:48 PM
raji

dogfish
04-19-2009, 09:19 PM
i'd say that's a consensus for raji. . . .

packers take orakpo. . . .

MOtorboat
04-19-2009, 09:34 PM
i'd say that's a consensus for raji. . . .

packers take orakpo. . . .

I would say Orakpo, yes...but you have to wonder about Moreno. I think this is when he starts coming into the picture.

bullis26
04-19-2009, 09:43 PM
I would say Orakpo, yes...but you have to wonder about Moreno. I think this is when he starts coming into the picture.

Moreno will not go to the packers, if they take a RB, it'll be later, Ryan Grant and Brandon Jackson got it for right now

MOtorboat
04-19-2009, 09:48 PM
Moreno will not go to the packers, if they take a RB, it'll be later, Ryan Grant and Brandon Jackson got it for right now

Maybe.

They couldn't punch it in to the endzone.

They will trade out...

But Orakpo is probably the pick.

oobehr
04-19-2009, 09:49 PM
Orakpo. Risk could be big on that one since they are changing to 3-4 but he is a pretty solid athelete.

hotcarl
04-19-2009, 09:51 PM
raji

SmilinAssasSin27
04-20-2009, 07:09 PM
Noone think Tyson jackson for GB?

SmilinAssasSin27
04-20-2009, 07:10 PM
I think Orakpo is the safe bet w/ Raji gone.

SmilinAssasSin27
04-20-2009, 07:12 PM
49ers are up...they also run a 3-4, but I don't think TJax is a huge need here. Pass rusher like Maybin or Ayers or a DB like Jenkins...I say Maybin.

dogfish
04-20-2009, 07:24 PM
everette brown. . . .

slim
04-20-2009, 08:54 PM
Sanchez

Requiem / The Dagda
04-20-2009, 08:55 PM
ClAyMATHewws.

dogfish
04-20-2009, 09:00 PM
whoops, i thought dirty sanchez had already been picked-- change my "vote". . . . i don't think they can pass on a QB if he's still on the board. . . .

slim
04-20-2009, 09:03 PM
whoops, i thought dirty sanchez had already been picked-- change my "vote". . . . i don't think they can pass on a QB if he's still on the board. . . .

Likely excuse...ride my coat tails, beeotch :D

dogfish
04-20-2009, 09:06 PM
Likely excuse...ride my coat tails, beeotch :D

like you could find a coat that big-- you'd have to use a parachute. . . .

SmilinAssasSin27
04-21-2009, 06:13 PM
OK...2 votes for Sanchez. Actually, I think I would likely change my vote here too. A west coast boy goin to San Fran sounds ideal. They need a QB and the pass rushing 3-4 OLBs are plentiful in this draft.

So Sanchez it will be.

SmilinAssasSin27
04-21-2009, 06:16 PM
Buffalo is up next. Glaring needs include pass rusher and Tight End. CB also needs strengthened since Greer fled town, but I don't think it's an immediate need. I can't see taking Pettigrew at #11...although he'd be a nice fit for the offense. I like the kid from Southern Miss a lot later on. So that leaves Everette Brown,Maybin, Ayers or a wild card like a USC LB. I say Maybin. Brown is nice, but Buffalo likes the Penn State kids. Many are saying Maybin has the most upside as he can still get bigger and is pretty explosive. They are OK at LB, but if Maybin is too small to succeed at DE, they could easily stand him up to rush the passer from OLB.

dogfish
04-21-2009, 07:29 PM
i actually think buffalo takes oher here. . . . i personally don't like him nearly as well as everette brown or orakpo, but it's a glaring need, and i think the dropoff from oher to a tackle like beatty at #28 is probably greater than the dropoff from orakpo to someone like michael johnson or maybe connor barwin. . . . besides, they'll look like idiots if left tackle is a gaping hole all year and peters tears it up in philly. . .

so, a vote for oher. . .

SmilinAssasSin27
04-21-2009, 07:30 PM
1 for Maybin

1 for Oher