PDA

View Full Version : Five potential prime-time openers for Peyton Manning

Magnificent Seven
03-27-2012, 03:40 PM
This probably won't come as a surprise, but get ready to see a whole lot of Peyton Manning in prime time next season.

The Denver Post reported on Tuesday that the Broncos have received word there is a "strong chance" they will open up "Sunday Night Football" in Week 1 on Sept. 9.

"Our fans should get ready for more night games," Broncos president Joe Ellis said. "Home and road."

But back to Week 1. The NFL schedule has yet to be released, but each team knows who their opponents will be. Here's our list of most desirable Week 1 showdowns for Peyton & Co.

1. New England Patriots: Brady vs. Manning? What else needs to be said? The greatest rivalry of the 2000s resumes at Foxboro after a hiatus that will make the wait for "Mad Men" seem tolerable. Cris Collinsworth is already dizzy thinking about it.

2. Pittsburgh Steelers: The Broncos -- led by Tim Tebow -- bounced the Steelers out of the playoffs in January. Now Pittsburgh returns to Sports Authority Field at Mile High looking for payback. This one seems destined to come down to the final possession.

3. Oakland Raiders: In Manning's first game as a member of the AFC West, why not send him to the Black Hole to face the Broncos' biggest rival at a time of the season when the Raiders typically peak?

4. New Orleans Saints: The league might not want to showcase the "bounty"-tainted Saints in Week 1, but Manning seeking revenge against the hometown team that kept him from his second Super Bowl ring? Yes please.

5. Cleveland Browns: If the league wanted to turn Week 1 into a Manning coronation, ship in the Browns for a pasting. As a bonus, John Elway will welcome the opportunity to inflict more emotional damage on the city of Cleveland. Everybody wins, well, except the poor Browns.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/09000d5d827e7ce2/article/five-potential-primetime-openers-for-peyton-manning?module=HP11_headline_stack

Magnificent Seven
03-27-2012, 03:43 PM
Manning-led Broncos reportedly could open season on NBC

The Denver Broncos are readying themselves for a schedule chalk full of prime time games, and they've reportedly received word that they could be thrust into the spotlight as soon as Week 1.

The team has been informed that there's a strong chance that it will be chosen to kickoff NBC's "Sunday Night Football" slate Sept. 9, according to The Denver Post.

With Peyton Manning now the starting quarterback, the Broncos seem to know that they'll be a coveted team by ESPN and NBC this year, and they're letting their fans know to expect to see the team in prime time.

"Our fans should get ready for more night games," Broncos president Joe Ellis told The Post. "Home and road."

The Broncos had two games in prime time last season: a Week 1 game against the Oakland Raiders on "Monday Night Football" on ESPN, and a Week 11 tilt against the New York Jets on NFL Network.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/09000d5d827e7af0/article/manningled-broncos-reportedly-could-open-season-on-nbc?module=HP11_headline_stack

Denver Native (Carol)
03-27-2012, 03:44 PM
PALM BEACH, Fla. — Regardless of whether their quarterback was Peyton Manning or Tim Tebow, the Broncos were going to be a prime-time NFL draw this season.

The Broncos have received word there is a strong chance they will play their season opener Sept. 9 on NBC's "Sunday Night Football."

The possible season-opening opponent: the Pittsburgh Steelers at Sports Authority Field at Mile High — the league might not want another Denver home opponent, the New Orleans Saints, showcased in Week 1 because of their bounty scandal — or the New England Patriots on the road.

rest - http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci_20262128/tv-wants-peyton-manning-led-denver-broncos-work

UnderArmour
03-27-2012, 03:45 PM
Cleveland will not be on Sunday Night Football this year. Steelers are most likely opener because NFL will want to save Patriots game for later.

Canmore
03-27-2012, 03:49 PM
Cleveland will not be on Sunday Night Football this year. Steelers are most likely opener because NFL will want to save Patriots game for later.

I'm betting Oakland.

HORSEPOWER 56
03-27-2012, 03:50 PM
I can see them trying to make a big splash right away. I can almost guarantee we'll be primetime week 1. Probably not the Thursday night game (usually a NFCCG or AFCCG rematch) but I'd be willing to bet we're the Sunday night game. I'm really feeling a Manning vs Brees duel in light of this offseason, plus it doesn't happen that often. We play the Saints in the Superdome this year. I can see that being our week one matchup. I think that would be a great test for us right off the bat. It will definitely let us know where the defense stands and if the offense can survive a shootout.

That's my guess.

UnderArmour
03-27-2012, 03:54 PM
It doesn't matter what week we play the Saints because we're going to lose and we're going to lose bad. We don't have the defensive talent to cover all of the weapons that the Patriots and Saints have. Hopefully the draft changes that.

Canmore
03-27-2012, 03:56 PM
I can see them trying to make a big splash right away. I can almost guarantee we'll be primetime week 1. Probably not the Thursday night game (usually a NFCCG or AFCCG rematch) but I'd be willing to bet we're the Sunday night game. I'm really feeling a Manning vs Brees duel in light of this offseason, plus it doesn't happen that often. We play the Saints in the Superdome this year. I can see that being our week one matchup. I think that would be a great test for us right off the bat. It will definitely let us know where the defense stands and if the offense can survive a shootout.

That's my guess.

Brees has said I believe that he won't sign the franchise tag. With the Saints in chaos, are they going to get Brees under contract? I wonder, they seem awfully far apart. I'll stick with Oakland as the opener, with the Pats as the back-up.

HORSEPOWER 56
03-27-2012, 04:00 PM
It doesn't matter what week we play the Saints because we're going to lose and we're going to lose bad. We don't have the defensive talent to cover all of the weapons that the Patriots and Saints have. Hopefully the draft changes that.

Well, except for the fact that they won't have their HC/offensive playcaller...

How can you say we're "going to lose and going to lose bad" to the Saints? We've got some pretty nice pieces in place. I'd like to see their defense, which was never that good, try to stop our offense! The Saints aren't unstoppable. Heck the Rams beat them, soundly, last year. We have guys who can actually get to Brees. No, we don't match up well vs Sproles or Jimmy Graham, but their defense is SOFT vs the run, and we should be able to pound them. Their secondary is a little worse now, (;)) and Decker and DT should really explode this year. It's going to be a down year for the Saints, Brees or not. They didn't play as well last year when Sean Payton was hurt and had to coach from the booth - I don't see that offense being anywhere near as effective without him.

Magnificent Seven
03-27-2012, 04:03 PM
I don't think they will be playing against Oakland on Sunday night. They have lost several talent players. However, I feel that Broncos will host Saints on opening day. Broncos haven't played against NFC team on opening day since 2006. (Broncos @ Rams in week 1)

So, it might be Saints vs. Broncos on Sunday Night.

Canmore
03-27-2012, 04:06 PM
I don't think they will be playing against Oakland on Sunday night. They have lost several talent players. However, I feel that Broncos will host Saints on opening day. Broncos haven't played against NFC team on opening day since 2006. (Broncos @ Rams in week 1)

So, it might be Saints vs. Broncos on Sunday Night.

There are the two Monday night games on opening week also.

HORSEPOWER 56
03-27-2012, 04:08 PM
Brees has said I believe that he won't sign the franchise tag. With the Saints in chaos, are they going to get Brees under contract? I wonder, they seem awfully far apart. I'll stick with Oakland as the opener, with the Pats as the back-up.

I just don't see Jokeland as a big enough draw for Peyton Manning's popularity - not on prime time. Maybe if the Raiders and Brocnos are both good next year and there's a fight for the division later in the season or a late MNF or TNF on NFL Network game, but not week one. Not to mention, but if it is Jokeland, if they did it week one, we'll get stuck with that late MNF game they always do on opening week (the one that starts at 10:30 ET) which is almost an afterthought. I just don't see them doing that to Manning week one.

Manning was the biggest FA acquisition in history. They aren't going to bury him after most of the Eastern Time Zone's viewers (where most of the viewers live and who have to work the next day and can't stay up until 1:30 AM to watch) have gone to bed.

UnderArmour
03-27-2012, 04:11 PM
Well, except for the fact that they won't have their HC/offensive playcaller...

How can you say we're "going to lose and going to lose bad" to the Saints? We've got some pretty nice pieces in place. I'd like to see their defense, which was never that good, try to stop our offense! The Saints aren't unstoppable. Heck the Rams beat them, soundly, last year. We have guys who can actually get to Brees. No, we don't match up well vs Sproles or Jimmy Graham, but their defense is SOFT vs the run, and we should be able to pound them. Their secondary is a little worse now, (;)) and Decker and DT should really explode this year. It's going to be a down year for the Saints, Brees or not. They didn't play as well last year when Sean Payton was hurt and had to coach from the booth - I don't see that offense being anywhere near as effective without him.

Did you watch the Saints play after that Rams loss last year? They were unstoppable and despite an absurd series of events at the start of the game to put them behind to San Fran, they still looked like they were going to win. Carmichael called the plays after Payton went into the booth for the rest of the year and the offense was better than okay. The Saints offense IS unstoppable and in the Superdome we have NO HOPE on paper of beating them aside from "that's why we take the damn field". The Saints actually know how to use Sproles unlike the Chargers. Couple that with Lance Moore, Jimmy Graham, Colston, their stable of other backs.. It's going to take one hell of an effort for us to cover all that firepower with Drew Brees at the helm. Payton or no Payton, they have continuity on offense with the same guy calling the plays. I don't think we stand much of a chance with our holes at D tackle and weak secondary. It's just not a very good matchup for us.

SR
03-27-2012, 04:13 PM

It seemed like the Patriots and Colts always used to play in the latter part of the year when something was on the line. I'd like for that to not be the case this year.

SR
03-27-2012, 04:14 PM
Personally, I'd like to see Manning's first game as a Bronco a tune up game versus a garbage time. Even Peyton Manning needs a confidence booster.

Canmore
03-27-2012, 04:16 PM
I just don't see Jokeland as a big enough draw for Peyton Manning's popularity - not on prime time. Maybe if the Raiders and Brocnos are both good next year and there's a fight for the division later in the season or a late MNF or TNF on NFL Network game, but not week one. Not to mention, but if it is Jokeland, if they did it week one, we'll get stuck with that late MNF game they always do on opening week (the one that starts at 10:30 ET) which is almost an afterthought. I just don't see them doing that to Manning week one.

Manning was the biggest FA acquisition in history. They aren't going to bury him after most of the Eastern Time Zone's viewers (where most of the viewers live and who have to work the next day and can't stay up until 1:30 AM to watch) have gone to bed.

You are probably right about the late Monday night game. Sunday night or the early Monday night game makes more sense. Maybe the Patriots, don't we have them away? Still have a feeling it's going to be the Raiders and Carson Palmer.

DenBronx
03-27-2012, 04:58 PM
Give me the raiders....would love to smash them the first game and not look back. Put those clowns out of the running early.

jhildebrand
03-27-2012, 05:01 PM
I don't care too much about the primetime games. I just hope when we play the Pats in Foxboro we hand them their ass and have Peyton out there punting and whatnot. I want belichick to get a taste of his own medicine.

igoe4broncos
03-27-2012, 05:13 PM
Saints @ Broncos - SNF

FanInAZ
03-27-2012, 05:30 PM
I'm 99.9% sure that it won’t be the Raiders because we opened against them last year. I don't get what possible special appeal that Broncos/Browns would have at a time when the Brown are one of the weaker teams in the league.

As far as a "revenge game" for the Stealers against us? If they blow us out in week 1, we will still have 15 more games to get things right and make the play-offs. Last year, we ended their season. There's no comparing the magnitude of those losses. This is even more true about a "revenge game" for Manning against the Saints. Beside, "revenge games" are PR stunts to hype up the fans. Players on the NFL leave don't care about last year's losses; they only care about this year's. It'd be one thing if we ran the score up on them, but it’s not.

As far as what would be the most entertaining match up from a fan's perspective, the Broncos/Browns is probably has the least potential at this time. The other 4 do have the potential to top notch game, assuming that the Broncos can at least start were they left off. Right now, I want to actually see the new Manning lead Broncos perform before I'll say that we would be a quality opponent for a sure fire play-off team (or the Raiders).

PAINTERDAVE
03-28-2012, 02:37 AM
I expect it to be the Sunday night game against steelers.

That was the LAST game they played.. and we knocked 'em for a loop.

They will want revenge. It is two premier QB's.
The bright uniforms will make splashy colors for all the promo's.
Broncos new orange jerseys.. Steelers Bright yellow and white.
Classic AFC matchup. They will pump that game for weeks...
and all opening weekend long.

Manning, Doom, Champ, Von, Big Ben, and on and on.. lots of "stars" to draw attention.

Best thing is.. it will be PM's FIRST home game as a Bronco.

Yeah.. I expect it to be Steelers vs Broncos on Sunday night opening weekend.

MOtorboat
03-28-2012, 07:26 AM
The first game of the season is Giants and Cowboys, NBC, on that Wednesday (apparently NFL wanted to get out of the way of the Democratic Convention on Thursday).

The league loves rematches or rivals in Week 1, so I think Pittsburgh or Oakland makes the most sense. They'll hold Manning vs. Brady for something like Week 10, I think.

WARHORSE
03-28-2012, 11:48 AM
Did you watch the Saints play after that Rams loss last year? They were unstoppable and despite an absurd series of events at the start of the game to put them behind to San Fran, they still looked like they were going to win. Carmichael called the plays after Payton went into the booth for the rest of the year and the offense was better than okay. The Saints offense IS unstoppable and in the Superdome we have NO HOPE on paper of beating them aside from "that's why we take the damn field". The Saints actually know how to use Sproles unlike the Chargers. Couple that with Lance Moore, Jimmy Graham, Colston, their stable of other backs.. It's going to take one hell of an effort for us to cover all that firepower with Drew Brees at the helm. Payton or no Payton, they have continuity on offense with the same guy calling the plays. I don't think we stand much of a chance with our holes at D tackle and weak secondary. It's just not a very good matchup for us.

The sky is falling!

:rolleyes:

HORSEPOWER 56
03-28-2012, 12:05 PM
The rumblings I'm seeing out there are either Pittsburgh at Denver or Denver at Baltimore (both SNF) for our week one matchup. I'd almost just like to get Baltimore out of the way early, but I can see it being a Wildcard round rematch. The NFL loves to do playoff game rematches to open the season.

Traveler
03-28-2012, 02:19 PM
The rumblings I'm seeing out there are either Pittsburgh at Denver or Denver at Baltimore (both SNF) for our week one matchup. I'd almost just like to get Baltimore out of the way early, but I can see it being a Wildcard round rematch. The NFL loves to do playoff game rematches to open the season.

Wish granted. BAL vs Den on SNF.