PDA

View Full Version : How Peyton Manning ended up a Denver Broncos QB.

DenBronx
03-27-2012, 11:50 AM
Peyton Manning's Long Game
The behind-the-scenes story of how the most prized free agent in NFL history hit the recruiting trail—and how he ended up a Denver Bronco

I don't know what to do. What does a free agent do?

—PEYTON MANNING, March 7, to his quarterback mentor and friend, David Cutcliffe

This doesn't happen to legends with time left on the clock. Legends who can play—and Peyton Manning can still play, if his neck holds up—don't jet across the country from one city to the next in a two-week span to showcase themselves. And let teams showcase themselves to him. Manning, the highest profile free agent in NFL history, interviewed the teams that wanted him as much as they asked questions of him.

In a meeting with the Broncos on March 9 the four-time league MVP turned to coach John Fox's two chief aides, offensive coordinator Mike McCoy and defensive coordinator Jack Del Rio, and inquired, "What about you guys? You one and done?" Meaning: Will you take the first head-coaching offer you get if we have success here in 2012?

The question surprised both men. Del Rio, fired as the Jaguars' coach three months earlier, said all he wanted to do was get back to hand-on coaching and away from the politics of the top job. McCoy said he turned down one head-coaching interview last year because it didn't feel right; he said he'd leave only for the right job.

READ FULL ARTICLE:
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/vault/article/magazine/MAG1196623/1/index.htm

DenBronx
03-27-2012, 12:05 PM
After reading the article it only confirms what I believed before. We have a smart smart football executive in John Elway. The dude has tact and will lure alot of good players to Denver. I have no doubt that getting Manning was mostly because of John Elway. Two legends now in Denver, got to love that!

WARHORSE
03-27-2012, 12:15 PM
Great read. Its easy to see why Peyton chose Denver.

Thats where I would have picked. ;)

HORSEPOWER 56
03-27-2012, 12:32 PM
Elway is still a PIMP. Dude owns this league. Did as a player, does it again as a FO type. The multiple vehicles just to go out to dinner so they weren't followed was some badass cloak and dagger shit. I Love It! Well done, EFX, well done! :salute:

GEM
03-27-2012, 12:46 PM
That was a great read!

SOCALORADO.
03-27-2012, 12:52 PM
Elway is the goat

DenBronx
03-27-2012, 12:57 PM
He's the GOAT on and off the field.

I don't usually like SI articles but King did a great job and backed up his story. It was a good timeline on how it all went down.

Interesting that Dungy thought Peyton would pick Denver. After all he would have complete control over the offense and Fox will gladly hand that role over to him. McCoy I think will help solidify the rushing attack while Peyton shreads them all through the air.

Hardwired
03-27-2012, 01:02 PM
"I almost pulled both hamstrings." Hilarious.

DenBronx
03-27-2012, 01:02 PM
King states that Peyton was "stunned" by the Washington trade, which happened while he was at dinner with Elway. Makes me think Washington was high on his list. Elway told Manning "Looks like they will get RGIII."

DenBronx
03-27-2012, 01:03 PM
"I almost pulled both hamstrings." Hilarious.

lol....I can picture Fox leaping up and down like a little kid.

SR
03-27-2012, 01:08 PM
Awesome read!

Cugel
03-27-2012, 01:13 PM
Here's the key paragraph:

"I really don't know," [why he chose the Broncos] Elway said. "I never asked him. I never asked him who was in it or where we ranked. I just know if I was in his shoes, I'd know how I'd want to be treated. And that's how I tried to treat Peyton."

It worked.

That's what it really came down to -- making Peyton feel comfortable with the organization, and not giving him a hard-sell. Seattle tried that. Manning wouldn't even meet with them. Miami tried to roll out the red-carpet. That's not what Manning wanted. He was not impressed. He wanted to talk football and get a feel for the organization, not get the high-pressure sales pitch like a car salesman.

Elway played it just right. Now we all get to see how this works out. If his arm strength is close to 100% when September rolls around, it's going to be something to watch! :beer:

Cugel
03-27-2012, 01:19 PM
King states that Peyton was "stunned" by the Washington trade, which happened while he was at dinner with Elway. Makes me think Washington was high on his list. Elway told Manning "Looks like they will get RGIII."

I read that part too, but it still doesn't make any sense to me. If Peyton had chosen any team in the NFC East it would be a total media circus from day 1.

"Peyton versus Eli!" It would be bad enough if the brothers faced each other in a Super-bowl, but this would be in the pre-season! "Who looked better today in pre-season workouts?" :rolleyes:

And only one team can really emerge from that division, so brother would be knocking brother out of the playoffs each year. Not a good family situation.

I don't think Peyton had really come to considering what the implications of his choosing Washington would actually be. He just had them on the list because he respects Mike Shanahan.

And who can argue with that? Shanahan won a championship when he had a Hall of Fame QB, and there's no proof he couldn't do it again. He's a very inventive offensive coach.

His fatal flaw was his inability to draft defensive talent or stick with a really good DC.

But Manning would probably do well in a Mike Shanahan system just like Elway did.

CoachChaz
03-27-2012, 01:22 PM
On the other hand. We could trade Manning to the Skins for the #2 pick and take either Luck or RG and have a stud for 15 years instead of 2 or 3.

SOCALORADO.
03-27-2012, 01:40 PM
So glad Tebows gone.

TimHippo
03-27-2012, 01:59 PM
So glad Tebows gone.

"I just know if I was in his shoes, I'd know how I'd want to be treated."

Did Elway treat Tebow the way he would want to be treated if he was in Tebow's shoes?

slim
03-27-2012, 02:01 PM
Ffs....

DenBronx
03-27-2012, 02:14 PM

Did Elway treat Tebow the way he would want to be treated if he was in Tebow's shoes?

You see the thing is, every QB post Elway could never fill Elways shoes. Thats why Elway was dead set on getting future HOFer, Manning. He wants to win a SB in Denver and thinks Manning gives us a better chance over Tebow. In fact, Elway and the Broncos were so gracious in the Tebow trade that when it came down to 2-3 of the teams that were interested, Elway differed to Tebow and said, "It's up to you which one you want to go to." Tebow hand picked the Jets out of the teams interested in him. In fact, maybe the Jags were offering a little more and Elway said it was more important that Tebow be happy. They treated Tebow right in the end and I'm happy about that.

camdisco24
03-27-2012, 02:19 PM
Awesome article. Thanks for posting.

Elway was a total pro in landing this trade. Sounds like EFX is at the top of the world right now. And they should be, they've been doing amazing considering what they were left with post-McD.

DenBronx
03-27-2012, 02:20 PM
Also, something to note is McCoy turned down offers to be a HC and wanted to stay with the Broncos. I think if we go deep into the playoffs or win a SB McCoys offers will get greater and he will be a HC like Dennis Allen. By the way, McCoy turned down the raiders because "It just didnt feel right"

Jack Del Rio looks like he wants to stay a DC for awhile but got to think teams will come knocking on his door soon if the defense has success. So the never ending coaching carousel will continue.

Getting Manning will almost but assure that these two will be gone if we have even an ounce of success. As excited as I am to have Jack Del Taco Rio as the DC, I won't get attached because he will be gone sooner than later.

rjent
03-27-2012, 02:44 PM
That was a great article.... :2thumbs:

Way to go John Elway!

The way Elway handled this is just the opposite of how Plumber was treated by Gruden. Gruden tried to hard sell and coerce Jake and I have always believed that is why Jake gave it up. He was tried of being manipulated .... Just my thoughts .. :)

Northman
03-27-2012, 03:07 PM

Absolutely.

Cugel
03-27-2012, 05:34 PM
On the other hand. We could trade Manning to the Skins for the #2 pick and take either Luck or RG and have a stud for 15 years instead of 2 or 3.

They would NEVER trade their #2 pick for Manning. And Manning wouldn't agree to play for them either, having chosen Denver. And John Elway would never consider such a betrayal of Manning as to try and trade him immediately after acquiring him. So, this is one of the more idiotic points I've read in a long time. :coffee:

The Redskins are going to draft their QB of the future in RGIII and nothing is going to change their minds. Manning will only last 3 to 5 years. RGIII could play for 15 (if he's as good as they hope). They chose to make that trade even BEFORE talking to Manning so obviously they preferred to get RGIII.

That idea is idiotic for about 10 different reasons, but I'll stop at 3. Why beat a dead horse? :ranger:

Cugel
03-27-2012, 05:36 PM
Quote Originally Posted by TimHippo View Post

Yes. That's why Tebow is in NY, rather than in Jacksonville although Jacksonville offered more in trade. :coffee:

weazel
03-27-2012, 05:43 PM
:bncry:

:bncry:

FanInAZ
03-27-2012, 05:48 PM
The way Elway handled this is just the opposite of how Plumber was treated by Gruden. Gruden tried to hard sell and coerce Jake and I have always believed that is why Jake gave it up. He was tried of being manipulated .... Just my thoughts .. :)

This is the 1st time I've heard of this. Could you elaborate on how Gruden "tried to hard sell and coerce Jake." It was my understanding that we traded him to Tampa, so why would there be any need for hard selling and coercions?

MOtorboat
03-27-2012, 06:07 PM
Great article by King.

Lots of interesting tid bits.

Broncos Mtnman
03-27-2012, 06:30 PM
Great story. Love the personal touch it gave everything.

Last year, I thought that maybe Elway was over his head with his new job. I have to say, I was wrong.

Way to go, Johnny!!

DenBronx
03-27-2012, 07:00 PM
John Fox talks from the owners meetings

On how much of an adjustment center J.D. Walton will have to make: “We have a lot of strong feelings about J.D. We think he is a very good, young player. I think J.D. will really look forward to the opportunity to be with Peyton Manning. We’ll have time to start trying to catch up those snaps. He’s had his share of quarterbacks already in his career, so I think he’s looking forward to that opportunity.”

My take: I think the Broncos caught a break when Jeff Saturday signed with Green Bay. Manning and Walton (who are already working together) will find a comfort level. Walton is part of a good, young offense. He should be the center in Denver.

READ FULL ARTICLE:
http://espn.go.com/blog/afcwest/post/_/id/42233/john-fox-talks-from-the-owners-meetings

hotcarl
03-27-2012, 07:23 PM
wow met for hours with shanny the day after the trade. Who knew? Shanny gushed about manning after coaching him in the probowl. Class dude and manning respects that.

I'm so ******* glad tebow is gone. WEEBBBBBS!!!

BroncoWave
03-27-2012, 08:30 PM
Awesome article! I could read that all day. John Elway is the MF'ing man.

HORSEPOWER 56
03-27-2012, 08:51 PM
This is how Manning really made his decision:

http://i255.photobucket.com/albums/hh153/OleMissCub17/manning.gif

I guess the other team's receivers weren't very impressive... :lol:

Saw this over on the Mane and thought it was pretty damned funny.

Ravage!!!
03-27-2012, 08:53 PM
that saturday night live skit cracked me up

Tned
03-28-2012, 12:47 AM
Peyton Manning's Long Game
The behind-the-scenes story of how the most prized free agent in NFL history hit the recruiting trail—and how he ended up a Denver Bronco

I don't know what to do. What does a free agent do?

—PEYTON MANNING, March 7, to his quarterback mentor and friend, David Cutcliffe

This doesn't happen to legends with time left on the clock. Legends who can play—and Peyton Manning can still play, if his neck holds up—don't jet across the country from one city to the next in a two-week span to showcase themselves. And let teams showcase themselves to him. Manning, the highest profile free agent in NFL history, interviewed the teams that wanted him as much as they asked questions of him.

In a meeting with the Broncos on March 9 the four-time league MVP turned to coach John Fox's two chief aides, offensive coordinator Mike McCoy and defensive coordinator Jack Del Rio, and inquired, "What about you guys? You one and done?" Meaning: Will you take the first head-coaching offer you get if we have success here in 2012?

The question surprised both men. Del Rio, fired as the Jaguars' coach three months earlier, said all he wanted to do was get back to hand-on coaching and away from the politics of the top job. McCoy said he turned down one head-coaching interview last year because it didn't feel right; he said he'd leave only for the right job.

READ FULL ARTICLE:
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/vault/article/magazine/MAG1196623/1/index.htm

Nice read.

701Bronco
03-28-2012, 01:35 AM
That was a great read, thanks for sharing. Gotta love Elway for knowing what a player wants BESIDES money!

iLands
03-28-2012, 06:13 AM
I just came to post this. Glad to see you were ahead of me. This is a fantastic read. One of my favorite lines: "In your 14 years in Indianapolis," Fox said, "the Colts averaged 26 points per game. In my 10 years as a head coach [with the Panthers and the Broncos], when our teams scored 26 points or more, our record is 39--3."

rjent
03-28-2012, 10:22 AM
This is the 1st time I've heard of this. Could you elaborate on how Gruden "tried to hard sell and coerce Jake." It was my understanding that we traded him to Tampa, so why would there be any need for hard selling and coercions?

I don't have a link as it was a long time ago, but what I read was that Jake had agreed to go with Gruden but then saw him fist bump the (I believe) the owner under the table, and Jake said in the article that the switch flipped and he was done because of all of the games that the owners/coaches play. I will see if I can find it, but it was pretty much all over the interwebs at the time......

NightTrainLayne
03-28-2012, 11:12 AM
I don't have a link as it was a long time ago, but what I read was that Jake had agreed to go with Gruden but then saw him fist bump the (I believe) the owner under the table, and Jake said in the article that the switch flipped and he was done because of all of the games that the owners/coaches play. I will see if I can find it, but it was pretty much all over the interwebs at the time......

Wow, I don't remember that at all, and I watched all of that pretty closely. I can't imagine that it was "all over the interwebs" and I missed it.

rjent
03-28-2012, 02:08 PM
Wow, I don't remember that at all, and I watched all of that pretty closely. I can't imagine that it was "all over the interwebs" and I missed it.

Well you did .... :D

EDIT:

Found it!

Gruden leaned in and started selling. Join us in Tampa Bay, he said, and with our defense and your leadership we'll have a shot at the Big One. Come to Florida, he said, and you'll be the hero you could never be in Denver in the shadow of John Elway. And then the kicker: Sign with us, Gruden whispered, and we'll donate a million dollars to your Alzheimer's foundation.

Plummer looked at the two men, considered the offer and said, "That sounds sweet, man." Then he took a swig of his beer. As he did, he couldn't help but notice that, under the table, Allen had extended his fist to Gruden, who gleefully tapped it with his.

Jake Plummer never went to Tampa Bay, of course, just as he never offered his services to any other NFL team. Upon retiring in March 2007, he held a press conference at the Denver Athletic Club. Grasping a lectern, he told a crowd of reporters that he was "running away from the game"

Linky (on the Interwebs) (http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/vault/article/magazine/MAG1181772/index.htm)

This isn't the exact story, but close and you get the idea. I think it was a sport mag of some kind that he gave an interview espin or something ..... :whistle:

Ravage!!!
03-28-2012, 02:42 PM
Well you did .... :D

EDIT:

Found it!

Linky (on the Interwebs) (http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/vault/article/magazine/MAG1181772/index.htm)

This isn't the exact story, but close and you get the idea. I think it was a sport mag of some kind that he gave an interview espin or something ..... :whistle:

So Jake is saying that he didn't sign because the owner was glad to hear the QB say "sounds good to me, man." Meaning he agreed to what they were offering? Thats playing games? Doesn't make sense to me. That was nothing more than an owner giving a gesture to the coach "we got our guy." Seems thats exactly what you would want to see from a coach and owner. Better than the "damn-it, he actually accepted" curse under their breath.

I don't believe this for a moment.

Joel
03-28-2012, 02:46 PM
So glad Tebows gone.
Never seen so much spite for a guy who helped double his teams wins and get their only playoff win since 2005 (just the second since Elway retired) all in his second year and first regular starts. If Elway thinks a HoFer can play until he's 41 he retired three years too early (despite having far more great linemen and far fewer spinal surgeries.) If you're glad Tebow's gone you have far more faith than I in Caleb Hanie.

Peyton ended up a Bronco because we've become one of those teams so deep in delusional denial over the sheer magnitude of it's problem we think a great QB will turn losers into champs, and won't wait more than a year or two for any drafted QB to prove himself great. That means we pay through the nose for the best proven QB on the market, which was easily Peyton Manning. If real life were like Madden we'd already be measuring the trophy case, but it's not, so we've got two years (max) to win a title with very little talent before we're pricing new QBs. To the extent we ever stop doing that.... :rolleyes:

rjent
03-28-2012, 05:03 PM
Never seen so much spite for a guy who helped double his teams wins and get their only playoff win since 2005 (just the second since Elway retired) all in his second year and first regular starts. If Elway thinks a HoFer can play until he's 41 he retired three years too early (despite having far more great linemen and far fewer spinal surgeries.) If you're glad Tebow's gone you have far more faith than I in Caleb Hanie.

Peyton ended up a Bronco because we've become one of those teams so deep in delusional denial over the sheer magnitude of it's problem we think a great QB will turn losers into champs, and won't wait more than a year or two for any drafted QB to prove himself great. That means we pay through the nose for the best proven QB on the market, which was easily Peyton Manning. If real life were like Madden we'd already be measuring the trophy case, but it's not, so we've got two years (max) to win a title with very little talent before we're pricing new QBs. To the extent we ever stop doing that.... :rolleyes:

I don't get that either Joel. We have a tiny window with Manning, and I don't see how he can live up to the hype ....

Just my take ...

Northman
03-28-2012, 05:20 PM
So Jake is saying that he didn't sign because the owner was glad to hear the QB say "sounds good to me, man." Meaning he agreed to what they were offering? Thats playing games? Doesn't make sense to me. That was nothing more than an owner giving a gesture to the coach "we got our guy." Seems thats exactly what you would want to see from a coach and owner. Better than the "damn-it, he actually accepted" curse under their breath.

Nor do i. In fact, i from what i remember the hammer that eventually drove the nail in the coffin was when Tampa informed Jake that he would have to compete for the starting job. They werent just going to hand it too him and i believe at that point Jake just said "F it" and retired.

Northman
03-28-2012, 05:22 PM
We werent going to get there with Tebow either. So no matter if Manning was here or not we would still be looking for a QB. So why the constant bitching? At least with Manning we have someone who has actually accomplished something in the league. Talk about rolling eyes. Yes, lets bank the next 10 years on a project! lol

FanInAZ
03-28-2012, 05:23 PM

I totally with you that this makes no sense. Keep in mind, the article makes it clear that they had a lot of beers. Maybe Jakes brain was going a little goofy at the time he observed this and was still a little fuzzy from the hangover at the press conference. Such complete speculation makes more sense than what in this article.

Joel
03-29-2012, 05:26 AM
We werent going to get there with Tebow either. So no matter if Manning was here or not we would still be looking for a QB. So why the constant bitching? At least with Manning we have someone who has actually accomplished something in the league. Talk about rolling eyes. Yes, lets bank the next 10 years on a project! lol
Signing Manning did not require trading Tebow, but paying Tebow $1.5 million for another year didn't tie our hands like paying Manning $20 million/year for the next two will. Fact is, no one knows what would or wouldn't have happened with Tebow, but keeping him didn't prevent exploring other options and, far more importantly, spending money to fill our many gaping holes elsewhere. Hopefully two years of Manning failing to produce a championship will spotlight the need to fill those other holes, though it will do nothing to provide the necessary cash, and when he ultimately retires we either spend more money or start Hanie.

Tned
03-29-2012, 07:26 AM
Nor do i. In fact, i from what i remember the hammer that eventually drove the nail in the coffin was when Tampa informed Jake that he would have to compete for the starting job. They werent just going to hand it too him and i believe at that point Jake just said "F it" and retired.

I know this was old news, and I saw that all over the forums as well, but I don't think there was anything more to that than me saying that the reason Tebow's gone is that Manning was afraid to compete with Tebow and forced his trade. In other words, pure speculation.

As we've discussed in the past, Jake made it clear to many of his teammates that he was likely gone/retired following the last game of the season. Cutler said that he had talked to Plummer a few weeks earlier and gotten the sense (or was told outright) that Plummer was probably going to retire.

Maybe I missed it, but I never saw anything beyond us fans claiming that it was because he didn't want to compete.

Northman
03-29-2012, 07:38 AM
Signing Manning did not require trading Tebow.

Of course not, but the kid wanted out and Denver was happy to help him out with that.

Fact is, no one knows what would or wouldn't have happened with Tebow,

Hopefully two years of Manning failing to produce a championship will spotlight the need to fill those other holes,

Got to love contradictions. On one hand you claim no one knows what will happen but then on another you claim you know. So silly.

Northman
03-29-2012, 07:40 AM
I know this was old news, and I saw that all over the forums as well, but I don't think there was anything more to that than me saying that the reason Tebow's gone is that Manning was afraid to compete with Tebow and forced his trade. In other words, pure speculation.

As we've discussed in the past, Jake made it clear to many of his teammates that he was likely gone/retired following the last game of the season. Cutler said that he had talked to Plummer a few weeks earlier and gotten the sense (or was told outright) that Plummer was probably going to retire.

Maybe I missed it, but I never saw anything beyond us fans claiming that it was because he didn't want to compete.

There was an article about Tampa telling Jake he would need to compete for the starting job and then a week later he was retiring. Im not going to dig it up because as you say its old news and it isnt that important to me. People will believe what they want to believe but i do remember the article and it wasnt just fan speculation.

Npba900
03-29-2012, 04:50 PM
So glad Tebows gone.

Agreed. Nothing against Tebow personally but everyone knew he was not the long term answer. Just glad Elway was here to put the experiment to an end. Now all Elway needs to do in the 2012 and 2013 drafts is to find a replacement for Manning, the long term future of this franchise should be taken care of.

Super Bowl prediction: Broncos vs Redskins!!!:D

Simple Jaded
03-29-2012, 06:27 PM
****ing Catalina Wine Mixer!!!.......

Simple Jaded
03-29-2012, 07:08 PM

Maybe, maybe not, but I'm sure Elway treated Tebow the way he'd expect to be treated if he were in Tebow's shoes. The Broncos didn't owe Tebow anything and they treated him far better than any player of his level of ability has a right to ask.......

Joel
03-29-2012, 10:29 PM
Of course not, but the kid wanted out and Denver was happy to help him out with that.
I haven't heard any confirmation Tebow asked for a trade, though I would hardly blame him the way we jerked him around pretty much from the moment he was drafted. Too bad, 'cos I think the Jets are going to screw any chance he ever had of developing into another Steve Young, and we'll still be shopping QBs in a couple years.

Got to love contradictions. On one hand you claim no one knows what will happen but then on another you claim you know. So silly.
I said no one knows what would or wouldn't have happened with Tebow, by which I mean 1) first and foremost, he's no longer on the team, so any speculation is no more than that and 2) he's only 24. Manning just turned 36, had four spinal surgeries last year and has a minimum of two appalling linemen, with no guarantee of ANY good ones. In fact, until we signed Dreesen, McGahee and Thomas were the only other sure talents on the whole offense. It doesn't take a very clear crystal ball to know how that goes: By the time we can build a solid team, Manning will be 38+ and retired.