PDA

View Full Version : Hillis intends to carry his share of the load in Broncos' crowded backfield

Denver Native (Carol)
04-18-2009, 08:19 PM
http://www.nfl.com/news/story?id=09000d5d80fda67f&template=without-video-with-comments&confirm=true

ENGLEWOOD, Colo. -- Peyton Hillis understands why the Denver Broncos brought in a bushel of tailbacks this winter.

The Broncos' backfield was hit by an injury epidemic last season, with seven tailbacks ending up on injured reserve, including Hillis with a torn hamstring.

One of new coach Josh McDaniels' priorities in free agency was tailback, and he signed three of them. Still, Hillis is counting on carrying the ball plenty next season.

Hillis was an integral part of the Broncos' backfield last season, bringing a toughness to the position that was sorely missed after he got hurt and Denver stumbled down the stretch to miss the playoffs for the third straight season.

Hillis, who is almost fully recovered, made a good impression on the new coaching staff at this weekend's voluntary minicamp.

"He's a versatile player, so we're going to try to use him in different roles," McDaniels said. "He's going to do a lot of things."

Hillis is vying for snaps with newly signed free agents Correll Buckhalter, J.J. Arrington and LaMont Jordan, along with holdovers Selvin Young and Ryan Torain, both of whom are still recovering from injuries from last year.

"Everybody's going to get a legitimate shot," Hillis said Saturday. "It's just going to depend on how I respond to this offense, how fast I learn it."

That's where Jordan considers himself ahead of the others. He played with the New England Patriots last season, when McDaniels was the offensive coordinator.

"As far as knowing Josh's personality and knowing what's going to be expected of us, I have a leg up, yes," Jordan said. "I'm a true believer that if I'm at my best, then I'm one of the best backs in the league. We all think we can be dominant running backs in the NFL."

The Broncos had a revolving door at tailback last season. That's why Hillis had a feeling the Broncos would usher in a bevy of backs during the offseason.

"When you put the injured tag on somebody, it's kind of hard not to get some guys in reserve," Hillis said. "We've got a lot of good veterans, guys that have played the game. I think they're going to do good things here."

Hillis had a remarkable rookie campaign, leading the Broncos with 343 rushing yards in his short stint before being hurt. He was promoted to tailback out of necessity and flourished, becoming the first Denver player since Floyd Little in 1968 to record both a 100-yard rushing game and a 100-yard receiving game in the same season.

Still, if Hillis is asked to switch to fullback again, that's fine with him. He's accustomed to playing second fiddle, having served as the lead blocker for Darren McFadden and Felix Jones at the University of Arkansas.

"I've always said of myself I can do mostly anything if I put my mind to it," Hillis said. "It's a new offense, new scheme, new coach, new staff. So, I guess I'm going to play where they put me -- and be happy."

Hillis brings a unique skills set to the field -- reliable hands, trustworthy blocking and tenacity. That's why Hillis' torn hamstring last season might have triggered a domino effect of destruction that ultimately cost the Broncos a playoff spot, coach and franchise quarterback.

A weighty burden? Not for the ever-humble Hillis, who has a Southern twang, a hankering for Hank Williams tunes and a friendly demeanor.

What Hillis can't control he lets roll right off him.

"It could be a lot of different things or situations there that made us not go to the playoffs," Hillis said.

Broncos' tailback surplus

Peyton Hillis
Career Statistics
Experience: 1 season
Carries: 68
Yards: 343
Touchdowns: 5

Correll Buckhalter
Career Statistics
Experience: 8 seasons
Carries: 476
Yards: 2,155
Touchdowns: 18

J.J. Arrington
Career Statistics
Experience: 4 seasons
Carries: 183
Yards: 654
Touchdowns: 3

LaMont Jordan
Career Statistics
Experience: 8 seasons
Carries: 872
Yards: 3,648
Touchdowns: 28

Selvin Young
Career Statistics
Experience: 2 seasons
Carries: 201
Yards: 1,032
Touchdowns: 2

Ryan Torain
Career Statistics
Experience: 2 games
Carries: 15
Yards: 69
Touchdowns: 1

Ravage!!!
04-18-2009, 08:22 PM
Hillis is now my favorite Bronco player. I really like this guy and can't wait to see just how much we can allow him to do for us.

Broncospsycho77
04-18-2009, 08:22 PM
It's good that he's flexible as to his position. I kinda secretly hope that he makes it as one of the top 2 RBs though. There are few on the team that work harder than he does.

OrangeHoof
04-18-2009, 08:43 PM
I'm thinking Young is on the way out. When you came into the season as the starter and the new coach signs three guys to replace you, it doesn't seem likely you're going to be there for Opening Day. Besides, they won't keep more than 4 guys going into the season.

Lonestar
04-18-2009, 11:28 PM
IF HEALTHY torian to PS.. if not adiós

Hillis should have a great season IMHO.. I doubt that any of these mokes can take the spot away form him IF he gets a straight shot at it..

None of them are Darren MC faddens..:salute:

D1g1tal j1m
04-19-2009, 01:02 AM
Hillis is best suited as a FB/TE in McD system. If he is in at RB in the single back formation, then it is to block or catch a swing pass. He is most valuable out against a LB in the passing game with his great catching ability. I don't want to get him beat up in the running game as he will be a key piece to the passing game with Orton (whom I think will make Hillis is safety valve).

Nomad
04-19-2009, 11:57 AM
......Something to add to your thread DN!!!

Running backs have to carry competition
By Lindsay H. Jones
The Denver Post
Posted: 04/19/2009 12:30:00 AM MDT
Updated: 04/19/2009 01:06:05 AM MDT

Peyton Hillis, giving Broncos fans a Mile High Salute after scoring against the Chiefs last year, is one of many Denver backs vying for carries in 2009. ( Reza A. Marvashti, The Denver Post )You might as well get used to hearing this refrain over the next few months as the Broncos prepare for their first season under new coach Josh McDaniels: It's competition time.

But nowhere is the battle for playing time more real than at tailback, after McDaniels and his new staff quickly dismissed most of Mike Shanahan's running backs and signed three free agents.

Only three Denver running backs are healthy now — new Broncos Correll Buck-halter and LaMont Jordan, and Shanahan-holdover Peyton Hillis — and all three are rotating in to get carries in McDaniels' standard one- back offense through the first two days of the team's first mini-camp of 2009. J.J. Arrington, the third free-agent newcomer, Selvin Young and Ryan

Torain will join the fray when fully recovered from injuries.
"We definitely had a lot of talent on the squad, throughout the running back position, but we all got hurt," Hillis said. "When you put the injured tag on somebody, it's kind of hard not to get some guys in reserve. We've got a lot of good veterans, guys that've really played the game. I think they're going to do good things here."

But once the 2009 roster is finalized, more than four months from now in early September, don't expect to see the next, great 25-carry-per-game running back.

That does not seem to be McDaniels' style.

Instead, think of a trio — at least — of tailbacks, each with 10 to 15 touches a game.

So the fight that has started here in April is not only for the starter's job, but to make it into the rotation, and prove a capable replacement should any other running back get hurt.

And if there's one lasting memory of 2008 for the Denver offense, it is how quickly the lineup of running backs can change. The Broncos started six players at tailback last season, and seven running backs ended their season on injured reserve — including the three holdovers, Hillis (hamstring), Young (groin) and Torain (knee).

McDaniels was the offensive coordinator at New England last season when the Patriots resorted to starting undrafted rookie BenJarvus Green-Ellis at tailback in three games because of injuries.
"I think Coach McDaniels is really smart," Hillis said. "He prepares for the worst and hopes for the best. We've got a lot of depth at the running back position. Even if we're all switching out every play, or one guy starts and another guy goes out hurt, we always know we have another guy back there to do the job."

Buckhalter, who was the No. 2 back in Philadelphia to Brian Westbrook, is the early favorite to be the Broncos' starter, though Jordan said Saturday he feels he has an advantage now because he played last year with New England.

"I believe in my talent. I'm a true believer that if I'm at my best, then I'm one of the best backs in the league," said Jordan, who is entering his ninth NFL season. "I'm sure Buck thinks the same thing, I'm sure S. Young, I'm sure J.J., I'm sure they all think the same thing. That's what's going to make this running back competition that much better. We all think we can be dominant running backs in the NFL."

Lindsay H. Jones: 303-954-1262 or ljones@denverpost.com

turftoad
04-19-2009, 12:13 PM
Hillis is a Jack of all trades, master of none type RB.

He brings a lot to the backfield and is a talented runner/blocker/reciever.

But..................... he's not a stud full time RB.

That said, I'm glad he's a Bronco though.

Northman
04-19-2009, 12:20 PM
Hillis is a Jack of all trades, master of none type RB.

He brings a lot to the backfield and is a talented runner/blocker/reciever.

But..................... he's not a stud full time RB.

That said, I'm glad he's a Bronco though.

Exactly.

Superchop 7
04-19-2009, 12:24 PM
Hillis was such a great pickup in the draft, I was stoked when we got him, even more stoked when I saw him play, he is the real deal.

We walked out of that draft with the best LT, Center, and FB. Not to mention Royal, who was easily top 5. ( I hope they play the hell out of Lich in the preseason)

Don't forget Carlton Powell, I think he is a huge sleeper.

Damn, I miss the Goodmans.

SmilinAssasSin27
04-19-2009, 01:00 PM
I like Hillis. Torain is an injury waiting to happen.

horsepig
04-19-2009, 06:39 PM
Just put Hillis on the field and he will make plays.

He should be able to really flourish in McKid's offense.

Simple Jaded
04-19-2009, 06:47 PM
Hillis just better hope Doogie doesn't have a hardon for one of "His guy's", personally, I'm not so sure Hillis isn't still the best RB on the team.

If nothing else, he could lead the team in receptions with Orton playing SQB.......

Lonestar
04-19-2009, 07:07 PM
Hillis just better hope Doogie doesn't have a hardon for one of "His guy's", personally, I'm not so sure Hillis isn't still the best RB on the team.

If nothing else, he could lead the team in receptions with Orton playing SQB.......

WHat makes you say this..

Simple Jaded
04-19-2009, 07:18 PM
WHat makes you say this..

Talent and ability take a back seat in the new regime.......

Dirk
04-20-2009, 07:07 AM
I for one saw glimpses of greatness out of Hillis last season before he got hurt.

Will he be able to match that next year? Who knows, but he sure deserves the chance!

broncofaninfla
04-20-2009, 07:26 AM
Run, Catch, Block the kid has talent. He can be used at multiple postions on offense and is a beast to try and bring down when he has the ball. Hillis is on the verge of being a star.