PDA

View Full Version : Go Mariners!!

Hawgdriver
04-18-2009, 12:46 AM
After tonight tied for tops in AL at 8-3. It's nice to be off to a good start after last year's catastrophe. It's only 11 games, but this is a team that is seriously FUN to watch. They might surprise some people in a suddenly weak AL west.

The new sheriff looks like he's made the right changes. I hope the same happens with the Broncos.

Go M's!

Nomad
04-18-2009, 07:21 AM
I like the Mariners....great ballpark, fun atmosphere, great weather in the summer!! The other night Ichiro hit a GS coming back off injury. Edger Martinez was a one of my favorites!!

Requiem / The Dagda
04-18-2009, 11:26 AM
Completely surprised to see how well the Mariners are doing. Chavez has been a pleasant surprise; I don't expect him to keep his .400 (around) average -- but if he's in the .300's -- that'll be great. I hope that Gutierrez bat gets better, but I think he can be a special piece in our outfield. Bentancourt is batting suprisingly well, and making good contact. His strike outs are down, but he still doesn't draw walks. He could be more selective.

Beltre and Lopez need to get going though, if one of those two could just be "solid" -- I think this team would be in a lot better shape. Oh, and Griffey is going to have to hit better than .200 if he wants to DH or legitimately see playing time on a regular basis. I love the guy, but man. . .

MOtorboat
04-18-2009, 11:35 AM
I just picked up Edwin Jackson (P, Tigers) for a spot start on a fantasy team, do you think the Ms can choke a little tonight to get me a win?

Hawgdriver
04-18-2009, 11:41 AM
Completely surprised to see how well the Mariners are doing. Chavez has been a pleasant surprise; I don't expect him to keep his .400 (around) average -- but if he's in the .300's -- that'll be great. I hope that Gutierrez bat gets better, but I think he can be a special piece in our outfield. Bentancourt is batting suprisingly well, and making good contact. His strike outs are down, but he still doesn't draw walks. He could be more selective.

Beltre and Lopez need to get going though, if one of those two could just be "solid" -- I think this team would be in a lot better shape. Oh, and Griffey is going to have to hit better than .200 if he wants to DH or legitimately see playing time on a regular basis. I love the guy, but man. . .

They have gotten big breaks. The hits have been coming in bunches. The game last night is a good example of getting breaks. Scoring on wild pitches, catcher dropping the ball for the easy out at home. The wins are great, but I don't expect it to last. But for me the best part is they are making it fun again to watch.

Hawgdriver
04-18-2009, 11:43 AM
I like the Mariners....great ballpark, fun atmosphere, great weather in the summer!! The other night Ichiro hit a GS coming back off injury. Edger Martinez was a one of my favorites!!

I hope I make it out to Seattle this year to catch a game. I am planning on catching a game in LA this next weekend, and then when they come out here in June to play the Rockies.

Hawgdriver
04-18-2009, 11:46 AM
I just picked up Edwin Jackson (P, Tigers) for a spot start on a fantasy team, do you think the Ms can choke a little tonight to get me a win?

You got it buddy, I'll dial that right up. :mad:

Requiem / The Dagda
04-18-2009, 11:58 AM
They have gotten big breaks. The hits have been coming in bunches. The game last night is a good example of getting breaks. Scoring on wild pitches, catcher dropping the ball for the easy out at home. The wins are great, but I don't expect it to last. But for me the best part is they are making it fun again to watch.

Yep! The pitching for the most part has been extremely surprising as well. I wonder if Bedard and Washburn can keep it up. It was nice to see Felix get a win last night. At any case, I'm excited about the potential for a lot of our picks in the coming draft. Even though they aren't likely to pan out for a few years, I think we could get a MLB ready hitter or pitcher (close) with the #2 overall.

The one thing I am pissed off about is making Phillipe A. a reliever. WTF?

Nomad
04-18-2009, 12:02 PM
I hope I make it out to Seattle this year to catch a game. I am planning on catching a game in LA this next weekend, and then when they come out here in June to play the Rockies.

You should try and schedule it for the 10th anniversary game of Safeco Field (hard to believe 10 yrs already). I believe that is sometime in July!! Did you ever go to the Kingdome and watch games?? I guess there is no anniversary game but July 15 will be 10 yrs!

They'll be playing Bal and Tex (Jul 6-12 ) at home the week prior to the all star game.

gnomeflinger
04-18-2009, 12:08 PM
You should try and schedule it for the 10th anniversary game of Safeco Field (hard to believe 10 yrs already). I believe that is sometime in July!! Did you ever go to the Kingdome and watch games??

They'll be playing Bal and Tex (Jul 5-12 I could be wrong) at home the week prior to the all star game.

Ha! I haven't been to a game at Safeco. Only the Kingdome. :lol:

Nomad
04-18-2009, 12:12 PM
Ha! I haven't been to a game at Safeco. Only the Kingdome. :lol:

I've been to a few games at Safeco and a few in the Kingdome (in the nosebleed seats). I can say the Kingdome is not missed!!

gnomeflinger
04-18-2009, 12:15 PM
I've been to a few games at Safeco and a few in the Kingdome in the nosebleed seats. I can say the Kingdome is not missed!!

Mr. Gnome is the bigger sports fan, so I usually stayed home with the kids. I would like to go to at least one game this year.

Nomad
04-18-2009, 12:27 PM
Mr. Gnome is the bigger sports fan, so I usually stayed home with the kids. I would like to go to at least one game this year.

It's a fun atmosphere. It's been some years since my last game, but me and my brother-in-law went and watched Bal. We sat 6 rows up from the 3rd base dugout. We went to the Pyramid Brewery across the street for a couple beers before the game and had a blast at the game. i'm a casual fan not a die hard.

If you want to go cheap you can go to a Tacoma Rainiers game (been to plenty of those) but if you take the kids, don't go on $1 beer night....too many drunks!:lol:

Hawgdriver
04-24-2009, 02:13 AM
The M's win another one!

If only Silva could be melted and purified to a higher grade. He's something like .539 pure (impure?)

Maybe I catch the M's game tomorrow (today?) up in LA?

Hawgdriver
04-26-2009, 06:20 AM
Two wins in Anaheim! But this won't last unless some more bats get warmed up.

Requiem / The Dagda
04-28-2009, 09:28 PM
The bats are rollin' tonight and Felix is on fire!

Hawgdriver
04-28-2009, 11:29 PM
Felix was sick tonight. If he and Bedard keep it up all year this is a legit team. If he and Bedard keep pitching like they are pitching, this is a playoff team.

Who saw that comin?? :elefant::elefant::elefant::elefant:

Requiem / The Dagda
04-29-2009, 12:09 AM
Washburn has been a pleasant surprise as well. Silva has been so inconsistent, it is frustrating. He can dominate for like 5 innings, and then give up five runs in the 6th. Ugh. I'm excited about this team. It's nice to see Wladimir getting some reps in there. I think eventually, he'll take over as DH for most of the season because Griffey clearly can't get it done. I thought he'd start in left over Chavez, but Endy has been great this year so far.

Nomad
04-29-2009, 02:46 PM
Mariners@ White Sox as we speak and it's on WGN....IYI! Not often I can watch a Mariners game!!

At this moment

Mariners 3
WS 1

Bottom 5th

Requiem / The Dagda
04-29-2009, 03:09 PM
Thanks for the heads up.

Requiem / The Dagda
04-29-2009, 03:34 PM
Dammit, I turn it to WGN and we give up two jacks. Dang.

Nomad
04-29-2009, 05:12 PM
Mariners pitching did them in!

Mariners 3
WS 6

Hawgdriver
05-02-2009, 12:17 AM
14 pitch at bat for the win. True, he could have walked twice in one at bat, but damn...nice finish. 14-9 with five months to go.

gnomeflinger
05-08-2009, 08:59 PM
It's another stellar night for the M's. :rolleyes:

Hawgdriver
05-08-2009, 10:50 PM
It's another stellar night for the M's. :rolleyes:

is that five or six in a row? how many runs do they have in those games? 3 or something?

Bronco4ever
05-09-2009, 01:23 AM
The bats are rollin' tonight and Felix is on fire!

I have been wanting my friend to trade me King Felix in our fantasy league, but I don't think he is going to budge. Dude is a stallion.

Requiem / The Dagda
05-09-2009, 05:23 PM
Hopefully Felix can tear ass tonight. I should be able to catch the game if I'm around a TV since they play the Twinks. FSN, probably.

Hawgdriver
05-09-2009, 10:42 PM
Hopefully Felix can tear ass tonight. I should be able to catch the game if I'm around a TV since they play the Twinks. FSN, probably.

We need to order the M's a case of old crow.

Requiem / The Dagda
05-09-2009, 10:44 PM
We need to order the M's a case of old crow.

That performance tonight was pitiful. Well, the last what eight games have been. Jesus.

gnomeflinger
05-09-2009, 10:50 PM
Go M's.

Rah rah rah.

Blah.

Hawgdriver
05-10-2009, 12:43 AM
M's are playing the Rockies early June. I want them to still be in the hunt at that point. Last year when they fell off the horse the rodeo clown just sat back and laughed. Let's see how it goes down this year.

Requiem / The Dagda
05-10-2009, 03:17 PM
This game has been extremely frustrating. We're only down 2-0; but we couldn't do anything when we had runners on 1 and 3 with no outs. Bedard was getting screwed over on a lot of calls, especially on his fastballs. His breaking ball(s) were great today -- it was just a shame to see him get so short worked because of bad behind the call plates. I got to hand it to the Twins for being so patient though.

Hawgdriver
05-10-2009, 03:55 PM
4-run 8th!

Hawgdriver
05-10-2009, 04:32 PM
weird...we won.

Requiem / The Dagda
05-10-2009, 05:22 PM
I thought Morrow was going to blow it. Kudos to Ken and Jose for kickin' it up -- also Wlad for havin' that nice double -- that would have been a homerun in any other park.

Requiem / The Dagda
05-14-2009, 02:36 PM
W-B gettin' more starts over Chavez. Helped yesterday (dammit bullpen) and helpin' today. Hopefully Felix can stay strong and get the W.

Requiem / The Dagda
05-14-2009, 02:50 PM
Felix pitches 7 strong, I think he'll be done. Got himself out of a jam. Gewd.

Requiem / The Dagda
05-14-2009, 05:16 PM
Morrow needs to get his ******* shit together. THAT WAS PATHETIC.

BroncoBJ
05-14-2009, 05:17 PM
Morrow ******* sucks. :mad: ... He always blows saves for my pitchers. Damn, he pisses me off.
Just thought I'd rant :lol:

Requiem / The Dagda
05-14-2009, 05:20 PM
I don't know what it was. Him coming back off the DL or what, but he has no confidence. He almost ****** up against the Twins, and blew it back to back against the Rangers whose line-up besides two players is absolute ******* shit. **** my ******* Mariners mojo mother **** Morrow that **** **** dick ******.

In-com-plete
05-15-2009, 07:42 AM
What?

They have three guys with 9 bombs and one with 7. And that's not counting Hamilton, who I assume is one of the 2 players in their lineup that aren't "absolute ******* shit".

Requiem / The Dagda
05-15-2009, 11:51 AM
Their line-up, average wise, is not impressive.

In-com-plete
05-15-2009, 12:19 PM
Right now, they're team batting average is .279 (http://mlb.mlb.com/stats/sortable_team_stats.jsp). 5th best in baseball.

They lead baseball with 58 HRs (http://mlb.mlb.com/stats/sortable_team_stats.jsp?statType=1&timeFrame=1&Submit=Submit&groupByTeam=true&baseballScope=mlb&timeSubFrame=2009&sortByStat=HR). Which is 8 (13.8%) more than the Yankees who have the 2nd most.

They're 2nd in total bases (http://mlb.mlb.com/stats/sortable_team_stats.jsp?statType=1&timeFrame=1&Submit=Submit&groupByTeam=true&baseballScope=mlb&timeSubFrame=2009&sortByStat=TB).

And they're 4th in runs (http://mlb.mlb.com/stats/sortable_team_stats.jsp?statType=1&timeFrame=1&Submit=Submit&groupByTeam=true&baseballScope=mlb&timeSubFrame=2009&sortByStat=R).

One thing the Rangers can do is hit. And average wise, they're 5th best.

Nomad
05-15-2009, 12:26 PM
My brother-in-law and father-in-law are going to the Boston game tomorrow night at Safeco and have seats in Section 117. Lucky dogs, he had to call me up last night to gloat:rolleyes:!!

Hawgdriver
05-15-2009, 01:55 PM
Right now, they're team batting average is .279 (http://mlb.mlb.com/stats/sortable_team_stats.jsp). 5th best in baseball.

They lead baseball with 58 HRs (http://mlb.mlb.com/stats/sortable_team_stats.jsp?statType=1&timeFrame=1&Submit=Submit&groupByTeam=true&baseballScope=mlb&timeSubFrame=2009&sortByStat=HR). Which is 8 (13.8%) more than the Yankees who have the 2nd most.

They're 2nd in total bases (http://mlb.mlb.com/stats/sortable_team_stats.jsp?statType=1&timeFrame=1&Submit=Submit&groupByTeam=true&baseballScope=mlb&timeSubFrame=2009&sortByStat=TB).

And they're 4th in runs (http://mlb.mlb.com/stats/sortable_team_stats.jsp?statType=1&timeFrame=1&Submit=Submit&groupByTeam=true&baseballScope=mlb&timeSubFrame=2009&sortByStat=R).

One thing the Rangers can do is hit. And average wise, they're 5th best.

Great hitting, below average pitching, and the perfect ballpark for their bats.

Requiem / The Dagda
05-15-2009, 04:05 PM
I got served. Sorry about my misinterpretation. I just looked at the average of those who were in the line-up yesterday and it didn't look too special.

Nomad
05-17-2009, 07:44 AM
Weather was perfect for baseball last night at Safeco, too bad the hitting and pitching could not have been the same! Looks like after about 5 innings, it was a yawner.

Requiem / The Dagda
06-07-2009, 03:33 PM
Run support would be awesome. Hurts to see pitchers like Bedard, Hernandez and Washburn consistently going 6-7 innings deep in extremely solid efforts and coming up with ND's or L's. That is pathetic. WB needs to get his shit together.

Hawgdriver
06-12-2009, 11:50 PM
I just got back to my office from Coors Field. Tonight the Rockies beat the Mariners 6-4 to extend their winning streak to nine games. The Mariners lost and are now one game under .500.

This was the first time I've seen the Mariners play in person since watching them lose to the Kansas City Royals in May of 1981 at the Kingdome when I was five years old. I lived in Olympia at the time and Mt. St. Helens blew her lid almost exactly a year before. I recall at the time thinking that many cumulus clouds were possible eruptions. "Is that a volcano cloud?" ... "No, that's just a thundercloud"

The game was just before my 6th birthday--I think it was a birthday present actually.

That was the strike season. Even then I felt kind of weird even then crossing the picket line to watch the game. If I was older I would have asked not to go I think.

So it was nice getting to see the Mariners play here in Denver. It was really a crappy game though. But it was kind of amazing how I ended up going to the game.

After lunch I was walking back to work in the Tabor building where I work and ran into an old friend. He was a recent AFA grad that I knew from the wings of blue parachute team, and who I commissioned as an officer. My last AF assignment was working with the cadets on the jump team as pilot and jump instructor. It was a pleasant surprise to run into him out of the blue like that--most AFA grads end up in distant corners of the globe a few years after graduation. My friend decided to get out early when he decided it wasn't for him. He is going to end up working for a law firm a couple of floors above me...small world. We decided we had to catch up sometime soon.

When I returned to work, I thought I might catch the Mariners game and asked my friend if he would like to join. He actually had tickets and was already planning to go with his new bride--and offered me tickets to join them! They were a couple of rows behind the visiting team dugout, very nice seats. I couldn't have been happier--I grabbed a stogy on the way to Coors Field. Sadly that means you have to go to a triangular area by the Rockpile to enjoy it...didn't know that.

It looked like it was going to be a great game for the Mariners until stupidity and a few minor errors turned the tide. Washburn's throw to first was off the mark and the runner was called safe because Branyan had to leave the bag to catch it...cost a run or two. The error by RJ on the throw to second when Tulo stole...another run. Yuni's lameness was another run or two. It was a sorry demonstration.

A lot of cool stuff. The early dinger by big Russ, the two run double by Beltre, the drama in the top of the ninth with two out.

The high point was making eye contact with Junior. Again, my seat was very close to the dugout so that was a total and unexpected bonus. I gave him a nod but it was too slight, and he didn't return it.

It was a great experience, I'll be back there tomorrow to watch Bedard on the mound.

Go M's!

Requiem / The Dagda
06-13-2009, 11:10 AM
Bedard is doing well this year. Still, the Adam Jones trade sucked. That kid is going to be bananas.

Hawgdriver
04-09-2019, 09:48 PM
I'm waiting for the bottom to fall out. This has to be peak-Mariners right now.

I know they have only played 6 games against playoff caliber teams (if you count the Angels), but still...w t f

And what's the deal with pulling Beckman for this Moore clown?

SR
04-10-2019, 08:10 AM
I'm waiting for the bottom to fall out. This has to be peak-Mariners right now.

I know they have only played 6 games against playoff caliber teams (if you count the Angels), but still...w t f

And what's the deal with pulling Beckman for this Moore clown?

Y'all will get tested later this week when Houston comes to town. But 33 homers already as of yesterday? That's incredible. They're doing really well, just like they did last year for the most part. I'd rather Seattle do well than Oakland, if I had to pick another team in the AL West to do well besides Houston.

Hawgdriver
04-10-2019, 08:38 AM
Y'all will get tested later this week when Houston comes to town. But 33 homers already as of yesterday? That's incredible. They're doing really well, just like they did last year for the most part. I'd rather Seattle do well than Oakland, if I had to pick another team in the AL West to do well besides Houston.

538 projects Oakland, Angels, and M's to be competitive for a WC spot...should be a compelling race for 2d in the AL West.

SR
04-10-2019, 08:56 AM
The Mariners are 11-2 and crushing the ball. They were solid last year. The A's have a good team. Boston and the Yankees will heat up, but only one of them will win the division. If this season is anything like last season, there will be four or five teams fighting for one WC spot.

Hawgdriver
04-10-2019, 10:01 AM
Their batting average split between medium & high leverage at bats vs. low leverage at bats is kind of crazy and explains a bit of the fluky offensive production. It's like .350 in their 260 or so plus-leverage plate appearances, and .250 in their 300ish low-leverage PAs.

Contrast that with a team like the Rockies right now, they are hitting about .180 in medium/high leverage, and .250 otherwise.

Sure, the M's are hitting well through 13 games no matter how you slice it, but they are getting lucky stringing them together to get runs.

SR
04-10-2019, 03:48 PM
Gotta be good to get lucky.