PDA

View Full Version : Broncos hosting Dennis Dixon

DenBronx
03-25-2012, 07:39 PM
ESPN.com’s Bill Williamson reports that the Denver Broncos are currently hosting quarterback Dennis Dixon for a free-agent visit.

The Broncos added Caleb Hanie as a backup option on Saturday, but Hanie won’t get clipboard-holding rights without competition. Dixon is more athletic than Hanie and was more highly regarded coming out of college.

READ FULL ARTICLE:
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2012/03/25/broncos-hosting-dennis-dixon/

HORSEPOWER 56
03-25-2012, 07:42 PM
Interesting...

DenBronx
03-25-2012, 07:45 PM
I like him better than Hanie.

He had like a 70% completion percentage in college. Not sure why the Steelers let him go.

Dude has one of the biggest jaws and teeth you will see though. Elway had some horse teeth too though.

Dzone
03-25-2012, 07:47 PM
I love this signing, if it happens. Way better than Hanie.
Hanie may not be able to beat out Weber for 3rd string

DenBronx
03-25-2012, 07:50 PM
I think Hanie will end up being cut before the season starts. Not worried about him as a backup....I'm sure Weber would beat him out anyway.

Dixon would be the QB 2 if we signed him.

madmanbryan
03-25-2012, 08:32 PM
Would be a good signing..didnt really agree with the chad henie signing

UnderArmour
03-25-2012, 08:32 PM
After we sign Dixon can we just cut Caleb Hanie? That guy is legit awful.

HORSEPOWER 56
03-25-2012, 08:41 PM
Would be a good signing..didnt really agree with the chad henie signing

You don't even know who you're talking about, do you? Chad Henne is a QB from Michigan who played the last 4 years for Miami and just signed with Jacksonville. Caleb Hanie is a CSU alum and was a backup QB for Chicago last year who didn't win them a single game in relief of Cutler. That's the guy we just signed... Hanie makes Henne look like an All-Pro.

:coffee:

Nick
03-25-2012, 09:20 PM
They must have just seen Hanie throw a pass :lol:

OrangeHoof
03-25-2012, 09:34 PM
I was big about signing Dixon but as a back up for Tebow since I could see him running the same offense in a pinch. As a backup for Manning? That's a different story. I prefer backup QBs who can fit into the same offense and run it as close to the starter (although ultimately with less efficiency) as possible.

dogfish
03-25-2012, 09:44 PM
he's the backup i wanted. . . i love it when a plan comes together!

BroncoStud
03-25-2012, 09:46 PM
So Dixon is now a pocket passer? God help us if Manning gets hurt...

hotcarl
03-25-2012, 09:48 PM
im going to go on record and say WHO GIVES A SHIT CLOSE THREAD

just my hiadshuf mmblble opoinoipn mind you but seriously its ti mas dasdfme to ge fgt a when it comes to this afd this kind of t'ihing

wayninja
03-25-2012, 10:02 PM
Carl, do you smash your face against the keyboard at times?

MOtorboat
03-25-2012, 10:07 PM
ZOMG! Tebow is SO much better than this clown! I am going to disown Elway! ZOMG!

hotcarl
03-25-2012, 10:09 PM
i just want to talk about tebow... thoughts? seriously i need to need know some tebow thoughts before go ****inh insamne?

701Bronco
03-25-2012, 10:31 PM
HOTCARL:

Tim Tebow doesn't read defenses. He stares them down until they form a path to the end zone.

When Tebow was a kid he made his mother finish HER vegetables.

Tim Tebow once stiff-armed a horse. That animal is now known as the giraffe.

Death once had a near-Tebow experience.

Tim Tebow was pulled over once, he let the cop off with a warning.

When the bogeyman goes to sleep every night, he checks the closet for Tim Tebow.

Superman wears Tim Tebow pajamas.

hotcarl
03-25-2012, 10:40 PM
this thread needs a LITTLE more tebow if you know what i mean......

701Bronco
03-25-2012, 10:46 PM
If Tim Tebow were gay his name would be Chuck Norris.

jhildebrand
03-25-2012, 11:48 PM
I guess the Broncos might keep the zone read and triple option offense portion of the playbook dusted off just in case.

DenBronx
03-26-2012, 12:08 AM
I guess the Broncos might keep the zone read and triple option offense portion of the playbook dusted off just in case.

Can you see Manning trying to run an option? lol

I think our offense will look much differant...in a good way.

Simple Jaded
03-26-2012, 03:22 AM

I actually like this idea. The Broncos could replace what Tebow brought to the table with an improved passer all rolled into one. I can't believe how good it feels to not actually care who the backup QB is, if they draft a QB l'm fine, if they roll with what they have l'm fine.......

claymore
03-26-2012, 06:51 AM
this thread needs a LITTLE more tebow if you know what i mean......

So we need the thread to be more incomplete? :D

BigDaddyBronco
03-26-2012, 08:57 AM
So we need the thread to be more incomplete? :D

Incomplete but it's off and running and full of win.....

Jsteve01
03-26-2012, 09:02 AM
so BDB I never heard your take on this whole situation? you Excited?

BigDaddyBronco
03-26-2012, 09:08 AM
so BDB I never heard your take on this whole situation? you Excited?

Yes, this is as good of a chance to have a top notch offense as we have seen for years. There are two things that bother me. One, it doesn't seem like they are pulling out all the stops to make a run this year. Maybe that is because they think Manning will be around for 4 or 5 years, but it seems like the time is now. Two, what is the long term plan at QB. I thought Tebow would be better than most of the scrubs that are available to back up Manning and might be able to develop with some time into something special. Again if Manning is going to be here for 4 or 5 years, then it doesn't really matter, they'll draft Manning's replacement in 2 or 3 years.

I still want to see us beef up both lines as I think that is where everything starts.

claymore
03-26-2012, 09:20 AM
Yes, this is as good of a chance to have a top notch offense as we have seen for years. There are two things that bother me. One, it doesn't seem like they are pulling out all the stops to make a run this year. Maybe that is because they think Manning will be around for 4 or 5 years, but it seems like the time is now. Two, what is the long term plan at QB. I thought Tebow would be better than most of the scrubs that are available to back up Manning and might be able to develop with some time into something special. Again if Manning is going to be here for 4 or 5 years, then it doesn't really matter, they'll draft Manning's replacement in 2 or 3 years.

I still want to see us beef up both lines as I think that is where everything starts.
I think we need to start stockpiling picks for the run at QB in 1-3 years. Its silly to think our answer at QB is in FA or this years draft. JMO.

claymore
03-26-2012, 09:21 AM
Incomplete but it's off and running and full of win.....

Its taking off like a jet!

Elevation inc
03-26-2012, 10:06 AM
Thank god finally bringing in for a look a legit number 2 QB......I was worried they thought hanie was the next best thing for the read option:lol:

I think a Manning/Dixon/Hanie Paring is fine for now.....

HORSEPOWER 56
03-26-2012, 10:14 AM
Can you see Manning trying to run an option? lol

I think our offense will look much differant...in a good way.

I'd just like to see the stretch play come back. We used to run it really well under Shanahan (opened up the naked bootleg) and earlier in Manning's career the Colts used to kill defenses with Manning/James running it. It's extremely hard to defend because it's one of the best play-action fakes out there. The defense has to move and chase the stretch on the play-side or they'll get killed by the run to the edge and as long as the QB sells the fake, it's great for play action.

MOtorboat
03-26-2012, 11:14 AM
I'd just like to see the stretch play come back. We used to run it really well under Shanahan (opened up the naked bootleg) and earlier in Manning's career the Colts used to kill defenses with Manning/James running it. It's extremely hard to defend because it's one of the best play-action fakes out there. The defense has to move and chase the stretch on the play-side or they'll get killed by the run to the edge and as long as the QB sells the fake, it's great for play action.

Pey Pey is chillin' on South Beach right now, sipping on a mimosa and building our new playbook...

:balloons:

Superchop 7
03-26-2012, 05:22 PM
Im OK with Dixon, Hanie is a scrub.

weazel
03-26-2012, 05:52 PM
I think we should just do a shanny draft for a QB. Take a QB with every pick and hope one pans out

LTC Pain
03-26-2012, 06:23 PM
If we put more Tebow in this thread then it will fail to pass!

Dzone
03-26-2012, 06:27 PM
^Well, Tebow is all over the national news today with his press conference, but nobody wants to talk about it on here for fear of being labeled a gay Teboi and not a real Bronco fan...LOL

HORSEPOWER 56
03-26-2012, 06:45 PM
Pey Pey is chillin' on South Beach right now, sipping on a mimosa and building our new playbook...

:balloons:

Actually, he's out building chemistry with Decker, J Thomas, and Walton... exactly what I would expect a dude making $18 million this year to be doing. :salute:

Jsteve01
03-26-2012, 06:50 PM
He's going to decide he doesn't like JD after about one regular season game. It sucks because Walton is a hard worker but has zero talent lol

dogfish
03-26-2012, 06:50 PM
Actually, he's out building chemistry with Decker, J Thomas, and Walton... exactly what I would expect a dude making $18 million this year to be doing. :salute:

he's actually out in wash park right now, throwing posts to matt willis. . .

keep it on the DL, though. . .

wayninja
03-26-2012, 07:25 PM
he's actually out in wash park right now, throwing posts to matt willis. . .

keep it on the DL, though. . .

My brother in law lives right on that park.. I'll have to ask him to take pics.

MOtorboat
03-26-2012, 08:05 PM

I love Decker's quote about "learning the verbage." Yeah, like Peyton doesn't know the verbage...

Dear Mr. Decker,

Please learn the audibles, hand signals and subtle gestures.

Sincerely,
Peyton Manning.

:sostoked:

dogfish
03-26-2012, 08:08 PM
My brother in law lives right on that park.. I'll have to ask him to take pics.

don't. . . i'd hate for something bad to happen to your BIL. . .

Medford Bronco
03-27-2012, 09:41 AM
Carl, do you smash your face against the keyboard at times?

No he chokes off his circulation to his brain by wrappib his mouse around his neck while
Posting.

LTC Pain
03-27-2012, 12:09 PM
No he chokes off his circulation to his brain by wrappib his mouse around his neck while
Posting.

Just like Hot Carl!!!

Denver27og
03-27-2012, 04:49 PM
WOW PLEASE SIGN DIXON!!

Hes the next Randall Cunningham

Superchop 7
07-11-2012, 10:56 AM
I brought this back so my son Silk could see that most people agree that Dixon is a quality backup QB.

OrangeHoof
07-11-2012, 02:34 PM
From what I can tell, he's still available and I'd rather have him than Haynie.

Simple Jaded
07-11-2012, 02:42 PM
Honestly, it's hard to believe that the Broncos worked both Hanie and Dixon out and came to the conclusion that Hanie was a better option. But you'd think Dixon would be on a roster somewhere if he were as good as we think.......

OrangeHoof
07-11-2012, 06:20 PM
Hanie may have been the more affordable option. It's possible Dixon's agent wants more money for his client. After all, whoever signs in Denver has to know he's not beating out Manning and he's not going to be the favored guy long term. It would be a place to audition for his next team which is what he was already doing in Pittsburgh.

silkamilkamonico
07-11-2012, 06:51 PM
I'll reserve judgement on Dixon if he somehow puts his name into the HoF discussion at some point of his career. Until then he's a lousy QB in the NFL, relegated to garbage backup duty.

silkamilkamonico
07-11-2012, 06:51 PM
Hanie may have been the more affordable option. It's possible Dixon's agent wants more money for his client. After all, whoever signs in Denver has to know he's not beating out Manning and he's not going to be the favored guy long term. It would be a place to audition for his next team which is what he was already doing in Pittsburgh.

Dixon, Hanie, insert available QB here, is not going to be the favored guy long term, anywhere.

topscribe
07-11-2012, 07:26 PM
I was big about signing Dixon but as a back up for Tebow since I could see him running the same offense in a pinch. As a backup for Manning? That's a different story. I prefer backup QBs who can fit into the same offense and run it as close to the starter (although ultimately with less efficiency) as possible.
That's why I was hoping McCoy would become available and the Broncos would entertain him.

But I can't help but to think of Dixon as an upgrade over Hanie.

Dzone
07-11-2012, 11:49 PM
Hanie played pretty good in the playoff game when Cutler bumped his knee, but from there, its been all downhill to oblivion. Weber will move into #2 and Hanie will be let go