PDA

View Full Version : Hey Dream, the new ZAO album comes out 5/5!

sneakers
04-17-2009, 01:16 AM
Can't wait!

Influential heavy music act ZAO has posted a new song, "What Will You Find?", on the band's MySpace page. The track comes off the group's new album, "Awake?", which is scheduled for release on May 5 via Ferret Music. The follow-up to 2006's "The Fear Is What Keeps Us Here" was recorded in Latrobe, Pennsylvania (near Greensburg); Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania; Encinitas, California; and San Marcos, California. AS I LAY DYING frontman Tim Lambesis and Daniel Castleman headed up the proceedings, along with ZAO's Scott Mellinger, for what is shaping up to be another monumental ZAO album.

According to a posting on ZAO's MySpace page, "Awake?" features a brand new version of "Romance of the Southern Spirit", which "has finally been given the sonic quality it deserves with a brand new recording that smashes the basement b-side version you've heard."

"Awake?" track listing:

01. 1,000,000 Outstretched Arms Of Nothing
02. Entropica
03. The Eyes Behind The Throne
04. Human Cattle Masses Marching Forward
05. Romance Of The Southern Spirit
06. What Will You Find?
07. Awake?
08. Quiet Passenger Pt. 1
09. Reveal
10. Quiet Passenger Pt. 2/The World Caved In

Commented the band: "We can't wait for you guys to hear this album! We are very proud of it, and in our humble opinions, it is very reminiscent of what you have come to know and love about ZAO over the years. Every band likes to say, 'This new album is our best yet,' so we won't say that to you. We know that albums like 'Blood & Fire' and 'Liberate' will always be fan favorites and they are special to us as well. But with that being said, believe us when we say that we strongly feel 'Awake?' is a more than worthy addition to our catalog."

ZAO's "Where Blood & Fire Bring Rest" was hailed as "one of the most the most influential albums of 1998" by Alternative Press magazine. That album, which introduced frontman Dan Weyandt to the heavy music scene, and follow-up "Liberate te ex Inferis", which introduced guitarist and songwriter Mellinger, continue to be cornerstone albums to a new generation of bands drawing influence from ZAO's dark, passionate and creative music.

"ZAO is a band that has influenced all types of bands in the heavy music genre, from the DEFTONES and to my band," offers Lambesis. "I'm very excited be a part of bringing them the production their band has always deserved. This record will be the ZAO sound that fans and musicians like myself have been waiting to hear for a long time."

The lineup for this ZAO album is the same as "The Fear...": Longtime co-conspirators Weyandt and Mellinger alongside bass player Martin Lunn and drummer Jeff Gretz (FROM AUTUMN TO ASHES). "Recording Jeff Gretz's drums was the most relaxing and professional studio experience I've ever been a part of," boasts Lambesis. "That guy is a true pro and the standard by which I will judge every other drummer I record at Lambesis Studios in the future."

drewloc
04-17-2009, 05:02 AM
I am stoked for this as well!

sneakers
04-18-2009, 08:20 PM
There are two songs from the new album posted on their myspace.

sneakers
05-05-2009, 05:35 AM
Apparently you can now stream the new album on the Zao myspace as of a few days ago if you are too lazy to buy the new album right now.

Requiem / The Dagda
05-08-2009, 02:16 PM
Zao hasn't been the same without Russ Cogdell shredding on guitar. He made that shit work. I'll be buying the album more than likely. I'll always rep Zao.

Requiem / The Dagda
05-08-2009, 02:18 PM
I'm stoked they have Romance of the Southern Spirit on there though. A little different time signature and much slower and paced than when Russ was in the band. On my Lesser Lights of Heaven DVD, they ******* shred on that.

drewloc
05-08-2009, 02:27 PM
Yeah I thought Russ was badass, still though, it's not bad considering.

sneakers
07-20-2009, 10:10 PM
Found this from 1998:

And I think I see Brett Detar (Juliana Theory) playing guitar!

Skin Like Winter live (actually very good quality)
oTsVxlvOZ1Y

Northman
07-20-2009, 10:45 PM
Aren't these guys christian rock?

sneakers
07-20-2009, 11:45 PM
Aren't these guys christian rock?

No they play Heavy Metal but have members in their band that happen to be Christian.... :D

Nothing turns people away from you as a band quicker than getting labeled a "Christian" band. People who would otherwise enjoy the music, suddenly are turned off.....a very strange phenomenon.

Northman
07-21-2009, 12:03 AM
No they play Heavy Metal but have members in their band that happen to be Christian.... :D

Nothing turns people away from you as a band quicker than getting labeled a "Christian" band. People who would otherwise enjoy the music, suddenly are turned off.....a very strange phenomenon.

Yea, ive never really been like that. I think it boils down to how you present your lyrics. One of Stryper's biggest drawbacks was there was too much "Jesus" in every other verse. I understand that they believe in their faith and thats great but i think it took away from the band a little when they could of still presented it in other ways much like POD, Demon Hunter, and Mortififcation did. Ironically, i just got done listening to Stryper's most recent work which wasnt bad considering their longevity. Ive heard a couple of tracks from Zao in the past and they werent bad.

sneakers
07-21-2009, 12:18 AM
Yea, ive never really been like that. I think it boils down to how you present your lyrics. One of Stryper's biggest drawbacks was there was too much "Jesus" in every other verse. I understand that they believe in their faith and thats great but i think it took away from the band a little when they could of still presented it in other ways much like POD, Demon Hunter, and Mortififcation did. Ironically, i just got done listening to Stryper's most recent work which wasnt bad considering their longevity. Ive heard a couple of tracks from Zao in the past and they werent bad.

Growing up, all I listened to a lot of bands on Tooth and Nail (MxPx, Zao, Slick Shoes, Further Seems Forever, Juliana Theory, UnderOath, Dead Poetic, Element 101, etc) and didn't realize until about 2002 that they were a Christian Label when they released their 10th anniversary box set thingy.

But yeah....I forgot where I was going with this. :confused:

SR
07-21-2009, 12:31 AM
Zao is awful.

sneakers
07-21-2009, 12:54 AM
Zao is awful.

http://www.tifaux.com/wp-content/uploads/2007/04/onnotice.jpg