PDA

View Full Version : John Madden: Announces retirement

Peerless
04-16-2009, 10:09 AM
From CBS4 Text:

John Madden announced his retirement from the broadcast booth this morning.

Denver Native (Carol)
04-16-2009, 10:13 AM
http://nbcsports.msnbc.com/id/30246064/

John Madden retires from broadcasting
Hall of Fame coach and most honored broacaster in history says it's time

NEW YORK - NBC Sports Chairman Dick Ebersol announced today that John Madden, Hall of Fame coach and the most honored broadcaster in sports television history, has decided to retire from broadcasting.

Madden issued the following statement today:

"It’s time. I’m 73 years old. My 50th wedding anniversary is this fall. I have two great sons and their families and my five grandchildren are at an age now when they know when I’m home and, more importantly, when I’m not…

It’s been such a great ride… the NFL has been my life for more than 40 years, it has been my passion – it still is. I appreciate all of the people who are and were such an important part of the most enjoyable, most fun anyone could have… that great life with the teams, the players, the coaches, the owners, the League… my broadcasting partners Pat and Al… the production people and the fans …is still great… it’s still fun and that’s what it makes it hard and that’s why it took me a few months to make a decision.

I still love every part of it – the travel, the practices, the game film, the games, seeing old friends and meeting new people… but I know this is the right time."

Broncolingus
From CBS4 Text: John Madden announced his retirement from the broadcast booth this morning.

"It's all over, FAT-MAN!!!"

rcsodak
Good. He should have retired years ago.

Traveler
04-16-2009, 10:17 AM
I guess with Brett Favre's retirement, no one else to dote over.

DallasChief
04-16-2009, 10:19 AM
Woody Paige just said on ESPN that John Madden changed the way we watched football.

I agree, I would watch it with the sound muted.

Dirk
04-16-2009, 10:19 AM
Man, what is Frank Caliendo going to do? Madden has been his bread and butter....

Otherwise, I love Madden but agree it's time. He rambles on too much at times. Though the memories are great!

Dirk
04-16-2009, 10:21 AM
I guess with Brett Favre's retirement, no one else to dote over.

You probably hit the nail on the head there. He does have a major man crush for Favre.

BigDaddyBronco
04-16-2009, 10:22 AM
No more "This defense is about the best I've ever seen. They can really get to the quarterback. Bam, bip, bop."

Next week, "This team has a great defense, they might be the best in the league right now..."

:rolleyes:

Traveler
04-16-2009, 10:30 AM
Now, if we can only get Chris Berman to hang it up.

horsesense
04-16-2009, 10:31 AM
Thats the best news Ive heard since the season ended.

Nomad
04-16-2009, 10:41 AM
...Classic Madden when he use to fly off the handle!

http://www.metacafe.com/watch/yt-Ks7xkusMIZc/madtv_john_madden_commercial/

powderaddict
04-16-2009, 10:52 AM
I love Madden, if for nothing else he is entertaining to listen to.

One night he'll use the phrase "hash mark" about 50 times. The best (or worst depending on your point of view) was when his word of the night was "penetration"

"That DE sure gets great penetration on the LT"

"The QB is feeling the pressure from the penetration"

(not exact quotes, but you get the idea).

I'll miss him.

broncfn90
04-16-2009, 10:54 AM
he was great at what he did.... his age caught up to him for the last few season thou... it was fun mr. madden but now you can enjoy the gams from your bus not the booth

Denver Native (Carol)
04-16-2009, 11:09 AM
Looks like I am in the minority, but I really liked Madden as an announcer.

Dirk
04-16-2009, 11:11 AM
he was great at what he did.... his age caught up to him for the last few season thou... it was fun mr. madden but now you can enjoy the gams from your bus not the booth

He watched the girls legs? :D

/sarcasm in fun

jrelway
04-16-2009, 11:11 AM
fader or not, i loved madden.

Dirk
04-16-2009, 11:12 AM
Looks like I am in the minority, but I really liked Madden as an announcer.

I liked him, but he would drone on and on and on about something that needed just one statement. Kinda like we do at times. :D

Peerless
04-16-2009, 11:13 AM
"I don't know how he stuck that in there!"

Superchop 7
04-16-2009, 11:37 AM
Good luck John !

Gotta love the company I keep, bash a man on his retirement day.

Remind me again......what have you done with "your" life ?

frauschieze
04-16-2009, 11:41 AM
I have many fond memories as a child watching games he announced with my father. I loved when he wrote on the screen, I remember being fascinated by it and I learned a lot. He has tended to ramble on, especially these last few years, but I'll still miss him.

Dr Velcro
04-16-2009, 11:54 AM
I can't make overhead and chicken wing jokes anymore....

:tsk:

BroncoWave
04-16-2009, 12:02 PM
Good luck John !

Gotta love the company I keep, bash a man on his retirement day.

Remind me again......what have you done with "your" life ?

Agreed. I don't understand all the Madden bashing. If anything, he's just funny to listen to. But yeah, gotta love the class from those bashing him on his retirement day! :rolleyes:

claymore
04-16-2009, 12:40 PM
I was looking fwd to watching a game where Brett Favre wasnt mentioned. But well its fitting they retire the same year I guess.

OrangeHoof
04-16-2009, 12:49 PM
I hated him as a coach and still believe he coached goons like Jack Tatum to behave like thugs on the field but he has been an entertaining and occasionally enlightening color analyst who is the top man in his profession. I think his hystrionics played well against Pat Summerall's incessant droning. Al Michaels has a pulse and really doesn't need Madden's excitability.

I wonder who the Peacock will get to replace him? God, I hope it's nobody from the pre-game cast, particularly Olberass.

KCL
04-16-2009, 01:00 PM
I was looking fwd to watching a game where Brett Favre wasnt mentioned. But well its fitting they retire the same year I guess.

Who says Favre is retired? He may come back this season and play for another team...:rolleyes:

Denver Native (Carol)
04-16-2009, 01:34 PM
Not sure if this has been posted, but just heard Chris Collinsworth will take Madden's place.

Dirk
04-16-2009, 01:35 PM
I hated him as a coach and still believe he coached goons like Jack Tatum to behave like thugs on the field but he has been an entertaining and occasionally enlightening color analyst who is the top man in his profession. I think his hystrionics played well against Pat Summerall's incessant droning. Al Michaels has a pulse and really doesn't need Madden's excitability.

I wonder who the Peacock will get to replace him? God, I hope it's nobody from the pre-game cast, particularly Olberass.

I heard on Siruis NFL channel that his replacement is Chris Collinsworth.

OrangeHoof
04-16-2009, 02:26 PM
Collinsworth, eh? Could be better, could be worse.

I guess Emmitt Smith was out of the question. LOL

BroncoWave
04-16-2009, 03:06 PM
Like it or not guys, Sunday Night Football just got worse. Collinsworth? Bleh.

Hardwired
04-16-2009, 03:14 PM
Collinsworth is better now than Madden has been for a few years. He knows the game and doesn't pull any punches. He and Al will be a pretty good team.

UnderArmour
04-16-2009, 03:19 PM
Madden isn't a sensationalist like ESPN, of course I'll miss him. It's sad to see guys like these retire knowing that they'll be replaced by the East Coast bias.

Hobe
04-16-2009, 03:41 PM
Madden wasn't all that bad. Most of the time he was interesting and entertaining. Let me tell ya' there are a lot worse then Madden ever was, and one of them is Chris Collinsworth! :tsk:

Devilspawn
04-16-2009, 07:10 PM
He's an icon with a persona that the NFL probably won't see for another generation or two, spanning the announcing booth and video games. People call him Captain Obvious but he was a victim in part of the expansion of the World Wide Web, which can teach casual football fans at the click of a button what we could learn back in the old days.

Mel Kiper is Captain Obviously Wrong now, but in the 80s and early 90s, when scouting reports were not at our fingertips, he was our medium.

I'll miss Madden dearly, but I'm also crossing my fingers. I'm not surprised he retired, I just hope his 73 year old self doesn't follow the second part of that rumor and come back home to The Dark Side.

Superchop 7
04-16-2009, 08:44 PM
A front office job with the Raiders ?

Hey, if the itch needs scratched......

Overtime
04-16-2009, 08:49 PM
Collinsworth is better now than Madden has been for a few years. He knows the game and doesn't pull any punches. He and Al will be a pretty good team.

:eek: r u kidding me? Collinsworthless and his boring monotone voice, his pathetic attempts at humor, and his captain obvious statments about the upcoming or previous play are horrible.

The only one from NBC and NFL Network combined that's worth a damn at his job is Al Michaels. the rest of them bozos (Papa, Collinsworthless, Gumbel, Eisen, and especially that ignoramus Bob Costas (where the hell did he come from anyways?), should be fired.

Team Adam Schefter up with Michaels, and sit back and watch the best announcing team in the NFL make broadcasting history.

Ravage!!!
04-16-2009, 09:13 PM
I like Chris Collinsworth. I think he's become of the better in today's game, and think he will actually bring more to the actual booth than Madden has for years.

Madden had his day. He's an Icon.. but lost his "charisma" in the booth a LONG time ago.

"he can play with both his arms and his legs"...type quotes are what made Madden famous.. and what have made Madden "tired" to most fans.

Ravage!!!
04-16-2009, 09:14 PM
:eek: r u kidding me? Collinsworthless and his boring monotone voice, his pathetic attempts at humor, and his captain obvious statments about the upcoming or previous play are horrible.

The only one from NBC and NFL Network combined that's worth a damn at his job is Al Michaels. the rest of them bozos (Papa, Collinsworthless, Gumbel, Eisen, and especially that ignoramus Bob Costas (where the hell did he come from anyways?), should be fired.

Team Adam Schefter up with Michaels, and sit back and watch the best announcing team in the NFL make broadcasting history.

:laugh:

God no.. :laugh: you are funny :laugh: :laugh:

BroncoTech
04-17-2009, 01:48 AM
Nothing like news items like this to make you feel old. From Howard Cosell to Dandy Don, Joe Namath, Dennis Miller, and now Madden. Well of all those guys that lasted way longer than they should have I think Madden took the longest to reach that threshold.They really do need fresh blood in there I think most announcers suck these days. I know it was rumored for a spell that even John Elway would be doing MNF. I guess it boils down to who would you rather see, and it's not Colinsworthless.

Shazam!
04-17-2009, 09:13 AM
I enjoyed Madden over the years.

Sure he drooled over Farve, but Farve was the last link to the 90's era of great QBs.

He was gaga over everything Elway did too, before Farve was the golden boy.

Would you rather Tony Kornheiser or Dennis Miller? There were plenty of worse guys to do it than CC.

jrelway
04-17-2009, 09:50 AM
I heard on Siruis NFL channel that his replacement is Chris Collinsworth.

that is the worse. you should hear his annoying ass on madden09. doesnt get any worse.

horsesense
04-17-2009, 02:08 PM
Like it or not guys, Sunday Night Football just got worse. Collinsworth? Bleh.

Im not thrilled with Collinsworth either, but it really sickens me to see him being beat-down soooo bad on the very first day of his promotion.:coffee:
Some of you are in serious need of a smack-bottom.:mad:

:rolleyes:

BroncoTech
04-18-2009, 12:09 PM
I'll hold off major celebrations until Josh McDick announces his retirement plans.

Let's hope he's one of those guys that decides to retire at 33.

drewloc
04-18-2009, 12:47 PM
I like Chris Collinsworth. I think he's become of the better in today's game, and think he will actually bring more to the actual booth than Madden has for years.

Madden had his day. He's an Icon.. but lost his "charisma" in the booth a LONG time ago.

"he can play with both his arms and his legs"...type quotes are what made Madden famous.. and what have made Madden "tired" to most fans.

Those types of quotes are classic. I agree though, it's part of what got tiring. Madden early on wasn't bad, but it was the same stale act over, and over. It just got old, and he is past his prime by a long shot.

Overtime
04-19-2009, 10:53 PM
that is the worse. you should hear his annoying ass on madden09. doesnt get any worse.

yep, im not buying Madden 2010 this year. in fact i'm done buying madden's game...it's the same thing every year, really has nothing new.