PDA

View Full Version : GL47 Wallpapers (Non-Football Related)

getlynched47
04-15-2009, 10:24 PM
Just thought I'd try out making a wallpaper. I suck at making Broncos wallpapers, so I thought I'd start easy and make wallpapers of a couple of my favorite brands of clothing. Tell me what you think:

http://img14.imageshack.us/img14/1635/dcshoesi.th.png (http://img14.imageshack.us/my.php?image=dcshoesi.png)

http://img5.imageshack.us/img5/8313/famousstarsstraps.th.png (http://img5.imageshack.us/my.php?image=famousstarsstraps.png)

MasterShake
04-15-2009, 10:43 PM
I like the DC one a lot, the other one is ok but it has too much blank space for my taste. That is just a personal opinion of mine, some designers I work with really like that style.

getlynched47
04-15-2009, 10:44 PM
I like the DC one a lot, the other one is ok but it has too much blank space for my taste. That is just a personal opinion of mine, some designers I work with really like that style.

I take the criticism with an open mind. I need to get better so any criticism helps. Don't worry, it won't hurt my feelings ;)

shank
04-15-2009, 10:46 PM
those are good starts man. the thing i would look out for is the rasterization. it's really clear on the DC logo and the lines on the famous WP. are you using photoshop? maybe increase the resolution and be careful about finding the right source images, blowing one up will just make the 'stair-stepping' more obvious.

not sure i like the blending mode on the lines for the famous WP (dissolve?)

anyway, it's good to just get in there an mess around. experiment with everything until you find something that looks cool. good job man :salute:

getlynched47
04-15-2009, 10:51 PM
those are good starts man. the thing i would look out for is the rasterization. it's really clear on the DC logo and the lines on the famous WP. are you using photoshop? maybe increase the resolution and be careful about finding the right source images, blowing one up will just make the 'stair-stepping' more obvious.

anyway, it's good to just get in there an mess around. experiment with everything until you find something that looks cool. good job man :salute:

Nope. I use paint.net with a shit-load of plug ins. Yeah I noticed the ugly ass lines around the DC logo after I got done making it. There's something called "feather" effect that smoothens those edges...I did it after cutting the image out, and then I blew up the image to be a little bigger. Next time I will blow the image up first, then use the "feather" to get rid of those crap lines.

I made the DC one today, but the Famous one I made like a month ago.

I'm working on a Nike one for later on this week.

Thanks for the feedback dude :salute:

MasterShake
04-15-2009, 10:51 PM

Good advice. The next step would be getting a vector based program (like Illustrator) so you don't have to worry about resolution. You can probably find vectors of most logos, and there are some great designs to use at www.freevectors.net. You'll never want to use rasters again after some vector work, though I do a lot of background stuff with rasters in photoshop. All your main logos and type should be vector, which is infinitely scaleable. When you convert the vectors to rasters for web, they are much crisper.

getlynched47
04-15-2009, 10:53 PM
Good advice. The next step would be getting a vector based program (like Illustrator) so you don't have to worry about resolution. You can probably find vectors of most logos, and there are some great designs to use at www.freevectors.net. You'll never want to use rasters again after some vector work, though I do a lot of background stuff with rasters in photoshop. All your main logos and type should be vector, which is infinitely scaleable. When you convert the vectors to rasters for web, they are much crisper.

Vectors? Rasters? Sounds too complicated to me :lol:

I'll check it out. Thanks MasterShake and Shawshank :salute:

MasterShake
04-15-2009, 10:54 PM
Vectors? Rasters? Sounds too complicated to me :lol:

I'll check it out. Thanks MasterShake and Shawshank :salute:

Once you know, it will change your life. :lol:

shank
04-15-2009, 10:54 PM
i just started making my t-shirts and am working with vector graphics. i suck at it. it's frustrating cause i pretty much know photoshop inside and out, and can't figure out the simplest things in illustrator lol.

so i have been taking the lame/easy way out and making images in photoshop and then doing a bitmap trace to convert them to vector... only works for solid images and text. i'll learn illustrator eventually.

getlynched47
04-15-2009, 10:56 PM
i just started making my t-shirts and am working with vector graphics. i suck at it. it's frustrating cause i pretty much know photoshop inside and out, and can't figure out the simplest things in illustrator lol.

so i have been taking the lame/easy way out and making images in photoshop and then doing a bitmap trace to convert them to vector... only works for solid images and text. i'll learn illustrator eventually.

:eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:

That sounds more complicated than trying to figure out Jay Cutler...

MasterShake
04-16-2009, 06:48 AM

Just learn the Pen tool. Everything else is pretty much the same as photoshop (as far as the toolbar). You can scan in images and trace with the pen, or create them from scratch. Instant vector. Live trace is good too, though.