PDA

View Full Version : Spirits Renewed

Broncos7
03-23-2012, 12:53 AM
As a life long Denver Broncos fan, I am suddenly taken back to a time and place in my hart that leaves me feeling particularly sentimental tonight. I cannot help but feel a bit re-energized as we approach the 2012 NFL Season.

It is so refreshing to have someone of Peyton Manning’s stature join the team. I have always admired his reputation for being a true student of the game. His poise and determination remind me of the days when Denver could expect and receive greatness.

It has been awhile, actually about 13years to be exact since we had a captain that could lead with this style of pure grit, talent, focus, and execution. No gimmicks!

Here’s looking forward to adding to the list of great moments that are time locked in the history books.

IE:
- 5 Superbowl Appearences
- Orange Crush
- The Drive
- Comeback King
- The Elway Cross
- Three Amigos
- 2 Lambardi Trophies

Go Broncos!!!!

PAINTERDAVE
03-23-2012, 01:27 AM
Yeah.... It is pretty damn exciting to think about a fielding and a decent team...
led by coaching professonials.. without a bunch of drama...
and WITHOUT a divided fanbase.

I think it is safe to say that this season has a LOT of potential.

claymore
03-23-2012, 06:31 AM
Yeah.... It is pretty damn exciting to think about a fielding and a decent team...
led by coaching professonials.. without a bunch of drama...
and WITHOUT a divided fanbase.

I think it is safe to say that this season has a LOT of potential.
Having the fanbase on the same page will be nice..

OrangeFanatic
03-23-2012, 07:08 AM
Having the fanbase on the same page will be nice..

Why does everyone here think everyone's on the same page? Just because the same 10~ posters are coming out and are all happy lollipop sunshine with everything? Most Broncos fans I've talked to are still pretty pissed about the whole Tebow situation. If Peyton comes out and flops or get injured, these boards are going to blow up once again.

MOtorboat
03-23-2012, 07:35 AM
Why does everyone here think everyone's on the same page? Just because the same 10~ posters are coming out and are all happy lollipop sunshine with everything? Most Broncos fans I've talked to are still pretty pissed about the whole Tebow situation. If Peyton comes out and flops or get injured, these boards are going to blow up once again.

Yeah, why in the WORLD would you want a HOF QB starting over the worst one in the league?

It just makes no sense.

:whoknows:

Great post by the OP. It's exciting to have an elite player at every single cornerstone position (QB, LT, DE/OLB, CB). That means a LOT. It's exciting.

claymore
03-23-2012, 07:39 AM
Im not going to argue about Tebow. I think most fans will agree that a healthy manning is far better for this team than a healthy Tebow.

Tebow had just as many injury concerns as Manning, if not more. So... yeah.

OrangeFanatic
03-23-2012, 08:10 AM
Yeah, why in the WORLD would you want a HOF QB starting over the worst one in the league?

It just makes no sense.

:whoknows:

Great post by the OP. It's exciting to have an elite player at every single cornerstone position (QB, LT, DE/OLB, CB). That means a LOT. It's exciting.

I'm not here to argue about Tebow vs Peyton. Being a hater there is no changing your opinion on him anyways, just like a TT lovers opinion isn't going to change. The OP is saying hes looking forward to this season with rainbows and unicorns. I'm saying there are people, more people than you think, that are looking at this move by the front office and upcoming season with HUGE question marks and concerns.

Im not going to argue about Tebow. I think most fans will agree that a healthy manning is far better for this team than a healthy Tebow.

Tebow had just as many injury concerns as Manning, if not more. So... yeah.

I don't think anyone could argue who the better QB is, but this wasn't just about who was the better QB.

Look, I want the fan base to be united as well, and hopefully if Peyton can take us to the SB and we can drop all discussion about how us arm chair generals think we know what is best for the team. The main problem is that we have to start winning to all agree. Once we win the super bowl we will all be able to agree that what the front office is doing is working. Until then everyone's going to have an opinion on the best way to do that.

claymore
03-23-2012, 08:17 AM
I'm not here to argue about Tebow vs Peyton. Being a hater there is no changing your opinion on him anyways, just like a TT lovers opinion isn't going to change. The OP is saying hes looking forward to this season with rainbows and unicorns. I'm saying there are people, more people than you think, that are looking at this move by the front office and upcoming season with HUGE question marks and concerns.

I don't think anyone could argue who the better QB is, but this wasn't just about who was the better QB.

Look, I want the fan base to be united as well, and hopefully if Peyton can take us to the SB and we can drop all discussion about how us arm chair generals think we know what is best for the team. The main problem is that we have to start winning to all agree. Once we win the super bowl we will all be able to agree that what the front office is doing is working. Until then everyone's going to have an opinion on the best way to do that.

I think anyone truly expecting a SB is setting themselves up for failure. I never liked #15 as a player and think we are better thru subtraction. But, only time will tell.

lgenf
03-23-2012, 08:21 AM
I never liked #15 as a player .

you don't say.....

I never would have guessed that Clay, you were always supportive through that 7-1 run we had last year

claymore
03-23-2012, 08:24 AM
you don't say.....

I never would have guessed that Clay, you were always supportive through that 7-1 run we had last year

I was even less supportive of Ortons 6-0 run. Bad QB play and a win = luck. there isnt any other way around that.

SOCALORADO.
03-23-2012, 08:30 AM
I was even less supportive of Ortons 6-0 run. Bad QB play and a win = luck. there isnt any other way around that.

I was too! Unless i was making fun of a sparkler fan here in Cali. Nothing better than clowning a sparkler fan, and using Kyle Orton only made if better! Man, there are some pissed off sparkler fans here right now.

MOtorboat
03-23-2012, 08:31 AM
The only real question mark there is, is whether he's gained his full arm strength. He's done enough throwing to satisfy Elway, so that's enough for me.

You'll notice that the Jets are talking a lot about the Wildcat. That seems to be the general consensus around the league about Tebow's future role in the league and his future. That didn't fit into Elway's plans. No harm, no foul. Manning allows Denver to be a contender while still looking for a quarterback for four or five years from now.

MOtorboat
03-23-2012, 08:34 AM
you don't say.....

You need some Jets logos in your sig, or something...

OrangeFanatic
03-23-2012, 09:38 AM
I think anyone truly expecting a SB is setting themselves up for failure...

Really? Ok, maybe not win the SB. But if we can win a playoff game with the worst quarterback in the league with no off season, then I fully expect to at least be a contender with the best quarterback to ever play the game.

wayninja
03-23-2012, 09:40 AM
Really? Ok, maybe not win the SB. But if we can win a playoff game with the worst quarterback in the league with no off season, then I fully expect to at least be a contender with the best quarterback to ever play the game.

Our vegas odds for a Lombardi went from between 75-1 vs 8-1 to 50-1 vs 10-1 after we signed Manning. I'd say we already are a contender.

But yeah, shitting the bed under any circumstances does not make the forum a happy place.

SR
03-23-2012, 10:12 AM

Weird, because most Broncos fans I've talked to that have been around since B.T. (Before Tebow) are extremely happy to have an actual QB back on the team. Peyton won't flop.

claymore
03-23-2012, 10:28 AM

Success level is fan dependent.

I am just happy Tebow is gone.

The next fan thinks nothing less than a SB win is success.

Truth is probably in the middle.

slim
03-23-2012, 10:42 AM
I think anyone truly expecting a SB is setting themselves up for failure. I never liked #15 as a player and think we are better thru subtraction. But, only time will tell.

I guess John Elway is setting himself up for failure :noidea:

OrangeFanatic
03-23-2012, 11:10 AM
Weird, because most Broncos fans I've talked to that have been around since B.T. (Before Tebow) are extremely happy to have an actual QB back on the team. Peyton won't flop.

Nice jab at religion and nice jab at TT. As to the substance of your post, Peyton won't flop. You know for sure?

Success level is fan dependent.

I am just happy Tebow is gone.

The next fan thinks nothing less than a SB win is success.

Truth is probably in the middle.

I'm not expecting a super bowl, but we better dang well go further than the first round in the playoffs.

wayninja
03-23-2012, 01:08 PM

Not really, we are going to move forward with Manning as the QBOTF. It's a process that may take a few years to come to fruition. That shouldn't be an issue, right?

rationalfan
03-23-2012, 01:13 PM
Crazy loudmouth tebow fans = vocal minority

BroncoNut
03-23-2012, 01:18 PM
nice posts Clay. Way to stand by your beliefs.

Dzone
03-23-2012, 02:23 PM
The harsh reality is that Manning had his fuse box fiddled with 4 times and hasnt played in over a year. We should expect nothing less than a super bowl

rationalfan
03-23-2012, 02:50 PM
manning's repaired neck > tebow's flawed arm

jlarsiii
03-23-2012, 03:11 PM
The harsh reality is that Manning had his fuse box fiddled with 4 times and hasnt played in over a year. We should expect nothing less than a super bowl

That is the funny thing about this situation. With Tebow the debate was whether he could ever improve his mechanics and throwing enough to become a capable starting QB. There was no mention of super bowl trips. Now with Manning it is all super bowl or bust. Classic...

slim
03-23-2012, 03:14 PM
nice posts Clay. Way to stand by your beliefs.

Nut, how do feel about all of this?

claymore
03-23-2012, 03:52 PM

Thats what the boss wants. Im glad he feels that way. But anyone hinging the success or failure off of a SB win before TC even starts is rash.

wayninja
03-23-2012, 06:45 PM
Thats what the boss wants. Im glad he feels that way. But anyone hinging the success or failure off of a SB win before TC even starts is rash.

What can we expect, clay?

claymore
03-23-2012, 07:10 PM
What can we expect, clay?

A better team. More heart, condifence and accountability.

BroncoNut
03-23-2012, 07:16 PM
Nut, how do feel about all of this?

I'm not all that sad that Tebow is gone, and I'm not all that happy that we have Peyton in this kind of repair. some more drama in dove valley. talk of a superbowl over this move is a bit ridiculous. We'll just have to wait and see. I would have liked to see another year of Tim Tebow before making a decision. the come from behind wins aren't good enough, divine providence, or not.

djmikehoncho
03-23-2012, 07:17 PM
I find it absolutely bizarre that people are calling peyton manning the "best quarterback to ever play the game." This is a guy who has a career playoff passer rating of 88 and a playoff record of 9-10, not to mention four of those wins were during the colts super bowl winning season in which manning lit it up going 97 of 153 (63.4%) for 1,034 yards, 6.8 YPA, 3 TD, 7 INT, and a 70.5 passer rating. If people are expecting manning to lead this team to the playoffs then fine but they shouldn't expect him to do anything once we get there.

One more manning record that you won't hear much about.
The Colts reached the playoffs in 11 of 13 seasons with manning at quarterback and went home in their first game 7 times, the most one and done playoff appearances by any quarterback.

claymore
03-23-2012, 07:20 PM
I find it absolutely bizarre that people are calling peyton manning the "best quarterback to ever play the game." This is a guy who has a career playoff passer rating of 88 and a playoff record of 9-10, not to mention four of those wins were during the colts super bowl winning season in which manning lit it up going 97 of 153 (63.4%) for 1,034 yards, 6.8 YPA, 3 TD, 7 INT, and a 70.5 passer rating. If people are expecting manning to lead this team to the playoffs then fine but they shouldn't expect him to do anything once we get there.

The Colts reached the playoffs in 11 of 13 seasons with manning at quarterback and went home in their first game 7 times, the most one and done playoff appearances by any quarterback.

At least if we cut him it wont cause mass suicides like Tebow would have. The biggest benefit of the signing was getting rid of Tebows circus. THe rest is icing on the cake.

SmilinAssasSin27
03-23-2012, 07:21 PM

...and when he wasn't there, they won 2 games.

...and the league changed the rules due to NE's blatant manhandling of PM's WRs during his first couple of playoff runs.

BUT...haters gotta hate.

djmikehoncho
03-23-2012, 07:29 PM
The numbers speak for themselves, if you want to live in denial and tell yourself that peyton manning is anything other than a perennial playoff choker then have at it. Accusing those that disagree with you of being a hater is neither original nor clever.

djmikehoncho
03-23-2012, 07:31 PM
At least if we cut him it wont cause mass suicides like Tebow would have. The biggest benefit of the signing was getting rid of Tebows circus. THe rest is icing on the cake. A bit hyperbolic don't you think?

SmilinAssasSin27
03-23-2012, 07:31 PM
The numbers speak for themselves.

Exactly...the only numbers that really matter are wins. Colts won a whole lotta games WITH him (including a SB). They didn't compete WITHOUT him.

djmikehoncho
03-23-2012, 07:33 PM
You obviously only hear and see what you want to. Any quarterback that throws 3 tds and 7 ints in 4 playoff games didn't exactly make a positive contribution to his teams championship did he?

djmikehoncho
03-23-2012, 07:35 PM
Look at mannings college career and you will see that he's always been a choker in big games. He was pulled in his final game for tee martin for f*cks sake.

Denver Native (Carol)
03-23-2012, 07:48 PM

So, you signed up here to just bash the new Broncos' QB????????

SmilinAssasSin27
03-23-2012, 07:50 PM
You are 100% correct, Indy woulda won at least 5 titles if they didn't have to deal w/ Manning's inadequacy. If only they had drafted Ryan Leaf to go with the talent that they amassed to go along side of him. I really don't get how anyone who completely runs every aspect of an offense, including the playcalling, can call the man overrated.

As far as his college career goes...he had 1 bad game vs Florida. Otherise, he was solid to dominant as his defense sucked and his RBs fumbled away leads v the Gators. Spurrier owned Fulmer. That I will concede. I think the D gave up over 60 in one game, but that's clearly PM's fault. He only had over 300 passing yards before halftime. 3-1 in bowl games. 1 SEC Title. Undefeated vs Alabama...but he was terrible.

And for the record...PM got hurt in a comeback win v Auburn in the SEC Title game and played injured v Nebraska cuz they had an outside shot at the Natl Title...and the D gave up over 400 yards rushing. Again...he's a huge choker. Excellent examples.

djmikehoncho
03-23-2012, 08:24 PM
[QUOTE=Denver Native (Carol);1597321]So, you signed up here to just bash the new Broncos' QB????????[/QUOTE

Not that it's any of your business but i had been meaning to sign up for awhile now and the catalyst for finally doing so was the signing of the media princess and perennial playoff choker peyton manning. Your question doesn't address the fact that mannings playoff performances have been far below his regular season standard.

SmilinAssasSin27
03-23-2012, 08:29 PM
[QUOTE=Denver Native (Carol);1597321]So, you signed up here to just bash the new Broncos' QB????????[/QUOTE

Not that it's any of your business but i had been meaning to sign up for awhile now and the catalyst for finally doing so was the signing of the media princess and perennial playoff choker peyton manning. Your question doesn't address the fact that mannings playoff performances have been far below his regular season standard.

Here is my take:

I do believe his weakness is impatience. I don't see him as a choke artist, as he has been huge in huge moments and in huge games. But teams play differently in the playoffs. First off, usually the better defenses are in the playoffs. Secondly, the good/smart coaches have realized that ball control keeps him off the field...and makes him anxious. He's such a control freak that I think he struggles with standing on the sideline while other teams systematically abuse his defense. When he does get on the field, he hurries.

slim
03-23-2012, 08:34 PM
Fact: Elway is still the G.O.A.T.

djmikehoncho
03-23-2012, 08:38 PM
You are 100% correct, Indy woulda won at least 5 titles if they didn't have to deal w/ Manning's inadequacy. If only they had drafted Ryan Leaf to go with the talent that they amassed to go along side of him. I really don't get how anyone who completely runs every aspect of an offense, including the playcalling, can call the man overrated.

As far as his college career goes...he had 1 bad game vs Florida. Otherise, he was solid to dominant as his defense sucked and his RBs fumbled away leads v the Gators. Spurrier owned Fulmer. That I will concede. I think the D gave up over 60 in one game, but that's clearly PM's fault. He only had over 300 passing yards before halftime. 3-1 in bowl games. 1 SEC Title. Undefeated vs Alabama...but he was terrible.

And for the record...PM got hurt in a comeback win v Auburn in the SEC Title game and played injured v Nebraska cuz they had an outside shot at the Natl Title...and the D gave up over 400 yards rushing. Again...he's a huge choker. Excellent examples.

I know that many quarterbacks have done far more with far less, and i didn't know they gave out super bowl rings for qb's who also call the plays.

Go ahead and throw out all the evidence of manning choking during his college career, (tee martin did win a national championship with basically the same team the next year) but how can you ignore all the evidence of manning choking in the nfl playoffs?

djmikehoncho
03-23-2012, 08:39 PM
eat a pile of dogshit op AND djmikehoncho tia

look at the intellect on you.

SmilinAssasSin27
03-23-2012, 08:41 PM
look at the intellect on you.

most of us just click ignore.

djmikehoncho
03-23-2012, 08:44 PM
[QUOTE=djmikehoncho;1597340]

Here is my take:

I do believe his weakness is impatience. I don't see him as a choke artist, as he has been huge in huge moments and in huge games. But teams play differently in the playoffs. First off, usually the better defenses are in the playoffs. Secondly, the good/smart coaches have realized that ball control keeps him off the field...and makes him anxious. He's such a control freak that I think he struggles with standing on the sideline while other teams systematically abuse his defense. When he does get on the field, he hurries.

That is a fair conclusion to come to, but i think its alot simpler than that, have you seen the peyton manning face?

Dzone
03-23-2012, 08:45 PM
LMAO!!!! Now thats some ******* entertainment

djmikehoncho
03-23-2012, 08:46 PM
most of us just click ignore.

will do.

i hope this works out for us but i have a feeling its going to backfire spectacularly.

Dzone
03-23-2012, 08:53 PM
[QUOTE=SmilinAssasSin27;1597341]

That is a fair conclusion to come to, but i think its alot simpler than that, have you seen the peyton manning face?
No but I have seen his head. Something must have happened to his head while he came through the birth canal, forceps maybe? His head is shaped like a port-a-potty. Its wide at the bottom and narrow at the top. How can he look so different than Eli?

wayninja
03-23-2012, 09:39 PM
If he throws touchdowns, I don't care if he looks like Clay and MO's mutant dolphin baby.

slim
03-23-2012, 10:28 PM
If he throws touchdowns, I don't care if he looks like Clay and MO's mutant dolphin baby.

I just hope he can throw a pretty spiral. That is all that really matters.

MOtorboat
03-23-2012, 10:36 PM
Oh, look, the Tebow fans are out making fun of actual accomplishments by real quarterbacks...

Every fan of any team other than the Broncos I've spoken with is now worried about the Broncos. They were not worried when Tebow was the quarterback.

That tells you everything you need to know.

Past that, I ate dinner with five Nebraska/Chiefs fans. They thought it was stupid that anyone actually thought that having Manning was a bad thing. I loved the look on their faces when I told them someone actually thought it was bad. It was priceless.

wayninja
03-23-2012, 11:30 PM
I agree with MO. Having other teams fans afraid of us is really the whole point.

But seriously, anyone who thinks having PM is a bad thing is either a troll or not worth responding to.

MOtorboat
03-23-2012, 11:34 PM
I agree with MO. Having other teams fans afraid of us is really the whole point.

But seriously, anyone who thinks having PM is a bad thing is either a troll or not worth responding to.

I'd rather have fans of opposing teams afraid that Denver would be good, than laughing at us because the quarterback is a joke.

FYI. Tebow was a league wide joke last year.

wayninja
03-23-2012, 11:38 PM
I'd rather have fans of opposing teams afraid that Denver would be good, than laughing at us because the quarterback is a joke.

FYI. Tebow was a league wide joke last year.

I don't really care what opposing fans think, but if that makes you happy, it makes me happy too buddy.

Oh, and it REALLY amuses me to think that PIT was laughing at us. I'll sleep with a smile tonight.

MOtorboat
03-23-2012, 11:42 PM
I don't really care what opposing fans think, but if that makes you happy, it makes me happy too buddy.

Oh, and it REALLY amuses me to think that PIT was laughing at us. I'll sleep with a smile tonight.

Reality backs my opinion. Skip Bayless backs yours.

I'm fairly confident.

DenBronx
03-23-2012, 11:45 PM
As fans we have zero control over what players the Broncos ever decide to keep. Thats why it's best to just support your team no matter what. I didnt agree with sending Tebow away for basically nothing but I'm super stoked about Manning. There's been yearrrrs of QB controversy with us fans and Manning deffinitely takes most of the edge off of that debate. If he's truly healthy our offense will be lethal and Tebow or no Tebow I can live with a lethal offense. It also greatly helps the defense. Elway is NOT playing games and wants to win now, I can buy into that as a fan. I wont get emotionally attatched to players ever because I realize this is also a business....I am however emotionally attached to the Team.

wayninja
03-23-2012, 11:46 PM
Reality backs my opinion. Skip Bayless backs yours.

I'm fairly confident.

Meh. I'll take winning over reality any day. Especially when the teams we beat were 'laughing' at us prior to our meeting. Gravy.

Anyone can with with Peyton manning, try doing it with Tim Tebow! I'd at least think you'd appreciate playing NFL 2011 on the hardest difficulty setting.

MOtorboat
03-23-2012, 11:48 PM
Meh. I'll take winning over reality any day. Especially when the teams we beat were 'laughing' at us prior to our meeting. Gravy.

Anyone can with with Peyton manning, try doing it with Tim Tebow! I'd at least think you'd appreciate playing NFL 2011 on the hardest difficulty setting.

I once made the playoffs in Madden with Bradlee Van Pelt. True story.

pnbronco
03-24-2012, 12:19 AM
I have felt great since I heard the news. I wanted it so bad but was trying super hard to not get my hopes up. When I heard the news I felt like is this real or am I dreaming?

Had to drive 1100 miles the day after I heard the news. I couldn't stop smiling and even though I got tired I just kept finding renewed energy with thinking of everything that had happened over the last 24 hours. I heard this interview with Shannon Sharpe and I have to say his enthusiasm gave me even more energy: http://www.1043thefan.com/Channels/DrewScott/story.aspx?ID=1672559

I am so looking forward to camp, I get to see Peyton throw that ball live and it's not again us. What every is going to happen will happen through out the season, but I am so, so happy for my Broncos today.

BroncoNut
03-24-2012, 02:07 AM
well, one thing for sure with the Peyton/Tim Tebow "swap" is that with Peyton we will at least know one way or the other soon enough. Some people had their minds made up on Tim Tebow, I did not. I think many are in my boat there.