PDA

View Full Version : Larsen to the Pats

rationalfan
03-22-2012, 09:33 PM
According to PFT. Kind of surprised by this.

SmilinAssasSin27
03-22-2012, 09:34 PM
eh...

701Bronco
03-22-2012, 09:40 PM
meh...

chazoe60
03-22-2012, 09:40 PM
He's their type of player: selfless, versitile, and excels on STs. Also, IIRC he caught every pass ever thrown to him, I heard that during a telecast last season.

I know he struggled as a pure FB but I still think he's a good enough player to have a spot in this league. I also think a lot of his struggles as a FB during the McD years was terrible play design. I saw quite a few instances where McD had Larsen motion across the formation then try to block all the way back to the side he came from in the first place.

I'm sure this thread will get flooded with "good riddance he sucked" posts but I wouldn't have minded keeping him if he would have been used better. He was a STs demon at times. Remember his hit against KC on a kickoff his rookie year or the one against the Saints the same year?

pnbronco
03-22-2012, 09:51 PM
Totally agree Chazo.... I will miss him a lot. Just a over all good guy....hope they treat him well out there. Kind of funny that Broncos are now going to NE. If the guys are still on the team the next time they come to Denver I better be getting hugs from my boys, even if they playing for the B....

tomjonesrocks
03-22-2012, 09:52 PM
meh...

Agreed. Meh.

Denver Native (Carol)
03-22-2012, 10:53 PM
Interesting article:

DENVER – Remember fullbacks?

Thirty to 50 years ago, they were often a team’s most effective runners. Jim Taylor. Larry Csonka. John Riggins. Ricky Bell. Fullbacks all. Heck, Bell was the No. 1 overall pick in the 1977 NFL Draft and appeared en route to a brilliant career before falling ill with dermatomyositis and succumbing to its complications seven years later.

After Riggins retired and Bell died, their role changed, but they remained vital. Often they were like offensive linemen, only slightly more glamorous because they caught passes out of the backfield. They blasted holes for the runners behind them and absorbed some of the most violent hits provided in the sport. Occasionally you got one who could run effectively enough to get as many carries as your average running back — e.g. Tampa Bay’s Mike Alstott — or find one who was practically a third wide receiver out of the backfield — e.g. Arizona’s Larry Centers — but mostly they did the grunt work and weren’t even on the field in long-yardage situations.

rest - http://www.maxdenver.com/news/2012/03/22/death-of-the-fullback/

Dapper Dan
03-23-2012, 01:13 AM
I miss Mike Alstott.

bcbronc
03-23-2012, 01:23 AM
confirms my suspicion that NE's rumoured interest in TT was them looking for an offensive/defensive swing dude that can play LB.

MileHighCrew
03-23-2012, 07:04 AM
jack of all trades, master of none.

TXBRONC
03-23-2012, 07:25 AM
Interesting article:

rest - http://www.maxdenver.com/news/2012/03/22/death-of-the-fullback/

I know minor point but the article is wrong about Ricky Bell. He wasn't a fullback he was always a tailback.

broncofaninfla
03-23-2012, 07:30 AM
Special teams has taken a hit with the departures of Larsen and Royal.

claymore
03-23-2012, 07:35 AM
He's their type of player: selfless, versitile, and excels on STs. Also, IIRC he caught every pass ever thrown to him, I heard that during a telecast last season.

I know he struggled as a pure FB but I still think he's a good enough player to have a spot in this league. I also think a lot of his struggles as a FB during the McD years was terrible play design. I saw quite a few instances where McD had Larsen motion across the formation then try to block all the way back to the side he came from in the first place.

I'm sure this thread will get flooded with "good riddance he sucked" posts but I wouldn't have minded keeping him if he would have been used better. He was a STs demon at times. Remember his hit against KC on a kickoff his rookie year or the one against the Saints the same year?

McD was a genius he would have never designed a play like that... /sarcasim off

Nomad
03-23-2012, 07:46 AM

What until he gets ahold of McDaniels wife!!:D

Northman
03-23-2012, 08:55 AM
jack of all trades, master of none.

Pretty much.

We need a real fullback and Larsen wasnt it. If he went to waste here than its good he is going somewhere we he can be used but FB isnt his position.

nevcraw
03-23-2012, 09:09 AM
Special teams has taken a hit with the departures of Larsen and Royal.

who needs ST when you have Peyton manning.

PatriotsGuy
03-23-2012, 09:09 AM
Good Riddens SPencer.

Chef Zambini
03-23-2012, 09:54 AM
wow 2 fullbacks lost in the same week, larsen and that tebow dude.
seriusly, LARSEN was a great team player, versitile, played on all 3 teams !
best wishes.

Dzone
03-23-2012, 01:51 PM
We sure didnt need him. His career is in decline. He might not even make the team in NE

topscribe
03-23-2012, 01:56 PM
This hurts. My adopted Bronco and one of my favorite players. He is Tebow's peer when it comes to character and values.

But, alas, the name of the game is to upgrade the team, to win. His talent wasn't there. But he's a man's man . . .

madmanbryan
03-23-2012, 02:42 PM
Not that great a player anyway

jlarsiii
03-23-2012, 03:13 PM
I don't think that FB played a big part in the Manning offense. Still, sucks to lose a versatile ST player...