PDA

View Full Version : Broncos owner thinks trade was good for both sides

Denver Native (Carol)
04-14-2009, 10:38 PM
http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/9456566/Broncos-owner-thinks-trade-was-good-for-both-sides?CMP=OTC-K9B140813162ATT=5

DENVER (AP) - Denver Broncos owner Pat Bowlen says he's pleased with the trade that sent Pro Bowl quarterback Jay Cutler to the Chicago Bears and that both sides got what they wanted.

"We're happy with where we're at," Bowlen told The Associated Press on Tuesday night. "I'm happy for Jay. I think he's going to a good organization."

The Broncos dealt Cutler and a fifth-round draft pick to the Bears on April 2 for quarterback Kyle Orton, two first-round draft picks and a third-rounder, ending a six-week feud that began when Cutler decided he didn't want to play for new coach Josh McDaniels.

"He didn't want to be in Denver. He made that clear," Bowlen said. "He's going on with his career, and we're going on with our team."

Bowlen said he's happy with the direction of his franchise under the 32-year-old McDaniels, who was hired in January after Mike Shanahan's firing.

With the Cutler drama now over, Bowlen is eager to see what McDaniels can do with his team.

"I am. I've spent a lot of time with Josh, and some of the other new coaches, I'm very comfortable," Bowlen said. "A lot of people said, 'How can you hire a 32 year old coach?' Some other teams have done similar things, hiring younger coaches.

"I just really like his approach. I really like what he learned in New England, what he's brought to Colorado. I think we're going to be very successful with Josh."

Bowlen is relieved the organization doesn't have to deal with the Cutler controversy anymore.

"You want to look at the future, not worry about the past," Bowlen said. "I'm always positive at this time of the year. I don't want any other distractions. I just want to go ahead and play football."

Bowlen spoke at the Colorado Sports Hall of Fame induction ceremonies where former Broncos receiver Rod Smith was among the honorees.

"Rod was not a well-known guy when he came in," Bowlen said. "He came in and he earned his reputation as one of the better wide receivers of his era, for sure. I think he definitely is a Hall of Famer."

Smith, who retired last summer after a hip injury ended his career, said he, too, is on board with McDaniels, who spent the last few seasons as New England's offensive coordinator.

"Both of us have the same passion - that's for the Denver Broncos to be on top," said Smith, who owns virtually every Broncos receiving record and helped the team win back-to-back Super Bowl titles in the late '90s.

So far, Smith's friends inside Dove Valley have been complimentary of McDaniels.

"I'm getting great updates on how he is as a person, how detailed he is," Smith said. "The structure is very important when you're starting a brand new football team. You have to have a structure that's second to none. That's going to last for years."

Shannon Sharpe, who introduced Smith at the ceremony, has mixed feelings about Cutler's departure.

"I'm sad, disappointed," Sharpe said. "I wish it didn't have to happen. At the end of the day, the Broncos did what was best for the Broncos ... I hope it works out for everybody."

Now, Orton and Chris Simms are hoping to succeed Cutler as the Broncos' starter.

They're not the only newcomers. The Broncos were the busiest team in free agency, signing 16 players.

"You've got a whole lot of new characters on that team," Smith said. "Those guys have to come together and come together fast. They have to jell with their new coach, jell with all the new personnel - the front office and on the football field. The faster they can do that, those things that look like challenges right now won't be as bad during the season."

Italianmobstr7
04-14-2009, 10:42 PM
If Rod Smith likes what's going on in Dove Valley, then I'll take his word for it. He knows what he's talking about when it comes to football. Things like this get me even more excited for the upcoming season.

Broncolingus
04-14-2009, 10:43 PM
What else can any of them say?

getlynched47
04-14-2009, 10:45 PM

Exactly. Neither side gave in to being soft and putting pride aside. They sure as hell aren't going to make it public that it was a bad idea for Jay Cutler to be traded....both for the Broncos and for Jay.

Rick
04-14-2009, 11:16 PM
If Rod Smith likes what's going on in Dove Valley, then I'll take his word for it. He knows what he's talking about when it comes to football. Things like this get me even more excited for the upcoming season.

Ya but hes not a arm chair coach message board poster, what the hell does he know?

56crash
04-14-2009, 11:31 PM
Ya but hes not a arm chair coach message board poster, what the hell does he know?

so what you are saying is you got 528 post of what ???????:laugh:

Shazam!
04-15-2009, 12:50 AM

Stink, Tom Jackson and Sharpe have openly criticized Denver many times.

I haven't gone through them all, but I'm sure Rick's 528 are better than your 239 of irrelevant swill.

omac
04-15-2009, 01:21 AM
I'm glad the owner, the coach, the current player, and the former player are happy. :cheers:

OrangeHoof
04-15-2009, 01:52 AM
If you accept the premise that Jay needed to be traded, it was a good trade for both sides - at least in theory. The Bears got the most talented QB they've had in 20 years and the Broncos got three high draft choices and a less-talented QB who can serve as a stopgap. That's not a bad trade for either team provided they get what they expect to get.

Dirk
04-15-2009, 06:08 AM
I'm glad the owner, the coach, the current player, and the former player are happy. :cheers:

"The Player".....that still cracks me up! :lol:

LRtagger
04-15-2009, 08:27 AM
Oh no, more jelling.....or is it gelling?

TXBRONC
04-15-2009, 08:31 AM
Stink, Tom Jackson and Sharpe have openly criticized Denver many times.

I haven't gone through them all, but I'm sure Rick's 528 are better than your 239 of irrelevant swill.

I thought he meant Bowlen. What else would he say publically. He's not going to undercut his coach.

Cugel
04-15-2009, 08:33 AM
Shannon Sharpe, who introduced Smith at the ceremony, has mixed feelings about Cutler's departure.

"I'm sad, disappointed," Sharpe said. "I wish it didn't have to happen. At the end of the day, the Broncos did what was best for the Broncos ... I hope it works out for everybody."

Shannon Sharpe has ALREADY weighed in on this controversy in no uncertain terms! He just didn't want to overshadow Rod's day by making a bunch of controversial remarks at his ceremony! Quite appropriately so. So, he makes a nice innocuous comment that means nothing.

What does he really think? He's already said it: :coffee:

Sharpe begins by explaining that he thinks coach McDaniels is making a huge mistake in wanting to get rid of Cutler, one of the few lone bright spots for the up and down Broncos last year (http://sportsradiointerviews.com/2009/03/18/shannon-sharpe-weighs-in-on-the-jay-cutler-saga/):

“The more that I sit down and think about it - you had the second worse defense in the National Football League. You couldn’t turn the ball over; you couldn’t pressure the quarterback. And the new guy [McDaniels] comes in and the first thing he wants to get rid of is his Pro Bowl QB? I don’t want to trade for a Julius Peppers. I don’t want a Ray Lewis or a Bart Scott; I don’t want a defensive lineman. I want to trade my QB?! That’s the problem?”

On the double standard in the NFL for players and front offices when it comes to making ‘business decision’:

“And why is it that when an organization wants to trade a player, it’s business; but when a player wants to request a trade, he’s being disgruntled, he’s a malcontent? See you can’t have it both ways.”

Does he think Cutler and the Broncos will work out there differences?

“If I’m Jay Cutler now, I think he has to leave.”

On how he dealt with a somewhat similar issue when he was with Denver earlier in his career:

“When Mike [Shanahan] tried to trade me in ‘95, after the ‘95 season. And when I called the organization they said it wasn’t true. And my agent and I found out later that it was true. I never trusted Mike again until I got back the second time around.”

broncfn90
04-15-2009, 08:35 AM
how cute.....stroking his ego.... pat you will regret this trade in a year or so cuz Cutler is going to cause a ruckus in the NFC... and what are we going to do.... pretty much nothing

Chris90210
04-15-2009, 08:43 AM
rods trying to get a high paying coaching position:listen:

AlWilsonizKING
04-15-2009, 08:47 AM
rods trying to get a high paying coaching position:listen:

As long as it's here, more power to him. :salute:

PEACE!!!

Chris90210
04-15-2009, 08:49 AM
As long as it's here, more power to him. :salute:

PEACE!!!

:beer: he would save us again

Cugel
04-15-2009, 09:19 AM
Here's the Translation from ass-cover coach-speak into English:

"We're happy with where we're at," Bowlen told The Associated Press on Tuesday night. "I'm happy for Jay. I think he's going to a good organization."

"I'm really happy for my ex-wife! No, I really am! She got to go live in Tahiti with that millionaire she met while competing in the Hawaiian Tropic Bikini Competition, and I got to go home with her really nice cousin with the hair-lip. I couldn't be happier!" :coffee:

"He didn't want to be in Denver. He made that clear," Bowlen said. "He's going on with his career, and we're going on with our team."

"I am beyond pissed that Jay made us look like the three stooges! He wanted a trade and we had to trade him. If he takes that Bears team to the playoffs I might just go on a killing spree in alphabetical order, starting with the "M's" Josh.

Bowlen said he's happy with the direction of his franchise under the 32-year-old McDaniels, who was hired in January after Mike Shanahan's firing.

With the Cutler drama now over, Bowlen is eager to see what McDaniels can do with his team.

"After the way things have started, you've got to the end of the 2010 season to win a playoff Game Josh, or by God I'm going to strip you buck-naked in the middle of Arapahoe road and see you gang-raped by a bunch of trannies!"

pnbronco
04-15-2009, 09:43 AM
"I'm getting great updates on how he is as a person, how detailed he is," Smith said. "The structure is very important when you're starting a brand new football team. You have to have a structure that's second to none. That's going to last for years."

The fact that Rod said this makes me excited. He could of just had a PC statements and left it at that. He does have friends int he locker room still and they have no reason to lie to him. So I'm hopeful that the Broncos are trying to work together as a team.

GEM
04-15-2009, 09:54 AM
Gotta love the...he said this, but really meant this. :lol:

Hell, if I put on the BS meter on this board, the thing would be going nuts the last few weeks.

TXBRONC
04-15-2009, 10:01 AM
Gotta love the...he said this, but really meant this. :lol:

Hell, if I put on the BS meter on this board, the thing would be going nuts the last few weeks.

I'm not mind reader so I'm not in any position to say Bowlen doesn't believe what he said, but I still would not expect him make any public statements that would undercut his head coach.

GEM
04-15-2009, 10:04 AM
I'm not mind reader so I'm not in any position to say Bowlen doesn't believe what he said, but I still would not expect him make any public statements that would undercut his head coach.

No, but if he truly felt that his BUSINESS was being ruined by a 32 year old coach with no experience, he would have stepped in and did something. Somewhere within him, he saw the same issues with Cutler or he would have overruled.

Northman
04-15-2009, 10:08 AM

Yes he does.

Northman
04-15-2009, 10:09 AM
Exactly. Neither side gave in to being soft and putting pride aside. They sure as hell aren't going to make it public that it was a bad idea for Jay Cutler to be traded....both for the Broncos and for Jay.

Why? Didnt stop Stokely or Sheff from sounding out. Sounds like sour grapes to me on your end my friend. Maybe Jay wasnt as worshipped by the team as you might of thought.

TXBRONC
04-15-2009, 10:12 AM
No, but if he truly felt that his BUSINESS was being ruined by a 32 year old coach with no experience, he would have stepped in and did something. Somewhere within him, he saw the same issues with Cutler or he would have overruled.

Bowlen did step in , he allowed McDaniels to trade Cutler.

Northman
04-15-2009, 10:13 AM

And why would he? He's been on board with McD from the start and understands that a move had to be made when even HE couldnt get in touch with Cutler.

TXBRONC
04-15-2009, 10:25 AM
And why would he? He's been on board with McD from the start and understands that a move had to be made when even HE couldnt get in touch with Cutler.

Like I said I wouldn't expect him to criticize his head coach publicly regardless what he believes. What I'm saying is no criticism of Bowlen.

GEM
04-15-2009, 10:34 AM
Bowlen did step in , he allowed McDaniels to trade Cutler.

So he must not have valued Cutler as much as some of you. :shrugs:

BeefStew25
04-15-2009, 10:36 AM

Or didn't want to look like a dumbass right away for hiring a egocentric little napoleon.

TXBRONC
04-15-2009, 10:38 AM

I think it could easily prove to be a mistake but I'm still fan of this team.

Peerless
04-15-2009, 10:40 AM

He valued Cutler enough to call him "the man around here" after he fired Shanahan.

Too bad he allowed his retarded newbie of a coach try and trade away "the man".

"The coach" and "the owner" failed on this one.... whether how much they want to admit how "good" the trade was for both sides.

Northman
04-15-2009, 10:45 AM
He valued Cutler enough to call him "the man around here" after he fired Shanahan.

Too bad he allowed his retarded newbie of a coach try and trade away "the man".

"The coach" and "the owner" failed on this one.... whether how much they want to admit how "good" the trade was for both sides.

I guess "The Man" was more like the "little boy".

GEM
04-15-2009, 10:46 AM
Or didn't want to look like a dumbass right away for hiring a egocentric little napoleon.

If you are leading a multi million dollar business, you aren't going to let falling on your face once in a while stand in front of making decisions about your business. If he truly felt it would be the downfall of his pocketbook and business, he would have stepped in and done something. In fact, he did. He tried to contact Cutler, to no avail. He wasn't really given any other choice in the matter. Keep a guy who doesn't want to be here or make the trade and get some value out of him that could really be useful for years to come.

How they spend those #1 picks is going to be the end all of this. Sink or swim. Addition by subtraction. If those 2 #1's are used on defensive guys with immediate impact, we get what we have all been bitching about. Better defense.

With the offensive line and the weapons that we have, we should have enough to get us through a "serviceable" qb until we can grab a great qb. With what we needed on defense, this move could turn out to be great...we'll see on draft day.

powderaddict
04-15-2009, 10:49 AM
Here's the Translation from ass-cover coach-speak into English:

"I'm really happy for my ex-wife! No, I really am! She got to go live in Tahiti with that millionaire she met while competing in the Hawaiian Tropic Bikini Competition, and I got to go home with her really nice cousin with the hair-lip. I couldn't be happier!" :coffee:

"I am beyond pissed that Jay made us look like the three stooges! He wanted a trade and we had to trade him. If he takes that Bears team to the playoffs I might just go on a killing spree in alphabetical order, starting with the "M's" Josh.

"After the way things have started, you've got to the end of the 2010 season to win a playoff Game Josh, or by God I'm going to strip you buck-naked in the middle of Arapahoe road and see you gang-raped by a bunch of trannies!"

how clever.

Peerless
04-15-2009, 10:51 AM
I guess "The Man" was more like the "little boy".

Cutler acted like a little boy after the fact they tried to trade him, and lie about it.

Before the pro bowl, and after the meeting with McDaniels... he was excited to work for McDaniels and to get rollin' with the offense. He was excited to be "the man" under McDaniels.

Could he have handled it better? Probably... but he didn't.

Now we have lost a good 25 year old Pro Bowler, with a high ceiling.. for Kyle Orton.

Call him a whiner all you want. But McDaniels was the catalyst to the whole ****** up situation.

Northman
04-15-2009, 10:53 AM

And there you go. You finally get it. :beer:

getlynched47
04-15-2009, 10:54 AM

Could have McDaniels handled it better? Hell yes......

Watchthemiddle
04-15-2009, 10:55 AM
Cutler acted like a little boy after the fact they tried to trade him, and lie about it.

Before the pro bowl, and after the meeting with McDaniels... he was excited to work for McDaniels and to get rollin' with the offense. He was excited to be "the man" under McDaniels.

Now we have lost a good 25 year old Pro Bowler, with a high ceiling.. for Kyle Orton.

Call him a whiner all you want. But McDaniels was the catalyst to the whole ****** up situation.

Cutler didn't want to be here anymore. He was never going to get over this situation and move on because thats just him. Much like on the football field..he doesn't have the mental capacity to "move on".

We are going to do just fine with Orton or whoever is throwing or handing off the rock. Its too bad this all had to happen for those of you who were infatuated with Cutler's stats...and not win/lose record. Can you imagine what kind of numbers he would have put up under McDaniels? Now he has to suffer on a team that values special teams and defense. Offense is 3rd place.

Peerless
04-15-2009, 10:55 AM

I've always stated that Jay could HAVE handled it better.

But do you realize what the BIG picture was? Don't just ignore half the post for a line you like to hear. ;)

Watchthemiddle
04-15-2009, 10:56 AM

What could McD have done differently after word got out about a possible trade?

Peerless
04-15-2009, 10:58 AM
Can you imagine what kind of numbers he would have put up under McDaniels?

Yeah. It's too bad that, that dumbass rookie tool actually tried to trade Cutler for his boy toy from Spygate... fail... and lie about it to "try" and cover it up.

"No guys.. I didn't try to do a damn thing"

Did "The coach" realize that he had a very GOOD offense that needed a year or two to mature together, and that he had one of the worst defenses in the past decade to work on?

God, what a moron.

powderaddict
04-15-2009, 10:59 AM

Correct me if I'm wrong (I'm a bit slow on these things), but wasn't there some draft picks involved?

I remember reading about it somewhere...

Northman
04-15-2009, 11:01 AM

Doesnt matter, the ball was in Jay's court and he was the leader of the team. He was the one that was supposed to show that he could overcome adversity when it comes to this team and he failed while in the process letting his teammates down. Afterall, he plays for his teammates not the Coach right? Isnt that what he stated?

Northman
04-15-2009, 11:02 AM
I've always stated that Jay could HAVE handled it better.

But do you realize what the BIG picture was? Don't just ignore half the post for a line you like to hear. ;)

The big picture is who is the bigger man? The big picture is who was the leader of this team going into 2009? The big picture is who asked for the trade? The big picture is who is able to overcome adversity when it presents itself?

GEM
Doesnt matter, the ball was in Jay's court and he was the leader of the team. He was the one that was supposed to show that he could overcome adversity when it comes to this team and he failed while in the process letting his teammates down. Afterall, he plays for his teammates not the Coach right? Isnt that what he stated?

The same teammates that he wouldn't even return phone calls to?

:lol:

I'm not going to answer my phone and I'm not calling anyone back *stomps feet, crosses hands over chest* Now where's my internet bimbo...I need a drink.

4th grade bs.

Peerless
Correct me if I'm wrong (I'm a bit slow on these things), but wasn't there some draft picks involved?

I remember reading about it somewhere...

Draft picks are always sexy.. I'll agree.

But with Cutler.. we knew what we had, and what we are going to get in the future. If people reallllllllllllly don't think he would have grown as a person and as a player has he grew older... hell, they have an ass for a brain.

Cutler was pretty damn good at 25.. Wtf will he be like around 31? Too bad we have to find out when he plays us.

With draft picks? Hell. They can pan out, or they can bust.

How's Jarvis Moss and Tim Crowder doing? (I don't care if they are Shanny picks..)

The point I'm clearly trying to make is:

With Cutler.. We had what most Super Bowl winners have: A franchise QB.

With draft picks: As you can see, hit can be hit or miss.

GEM
04-15-2009, 11:03 AM
The big picture is who is the bigger man? The big picture is who was the leader of this team going into 2009? The big picture is who asked for the trade? The big picture is who is able to overcome adversity when it presents itself?

Formally request a trade and then say I never wanted it to come to this, I never wanted to be traded.

GEM
04-15-2009, 11:05 AM

But with Cutler.. we knew what we had, and what we are going to get in the future. If people reallllllllllllly don't think he would have grown as a person and as a player has he grew older... hell, they have an ass for a brain.

Cutler was pretty damn good at 25.. Wtf will he be like around 31? Too bad we have to find out when he plays us.

How's Jarvis Moss and Tim Crowder doing? (I don't care if they are Shanny picks..)

You might now care if they were Shanny picks, but you might care if they pan out. Give it some time "thumbs" you might enjoy the draft. ;)

Peerless

Oh crap. "Who is the bigger man?"

I find the guy who agreed to work with QB... and who was excited to build an offense around him.... and then try to trade him and LIE about it, the SMALLER man.

He knew Cutler was the leader of the Broncos... the face of the offense, and really the team. And then McDummy pulls his failed trade stunt..... :eek:

I don't care if it's about the whole situation or not. McDaniels ****** up at the beginning, and caused this whole mess.

Northman
Formally request a trade and then say I never wanted it to come to this, I never wanted to be traded.

But i guess that doesnt make Jay a liar either.....

Watchthemiddle
Yeah. It's too bad that, that dumbass rookie tool actually tried to trade Cutler for his boy toy from Spygate... fail... and lie about it to "try" and cover it up.

"No guys.. I didn't try to do a damn thing"

Did "The coach" realize that he had a very GOOD offense that needed a year or two to mature together, and that he had one of the worst defenses in the past decade to work on?

God, what a moron.

Regardless if he lied about it or not, Jay had plenty of opportunities to stay and help resolve the differences but he chose to act like a 7 year old school girl instead of a 25 year old NFL starting QB.

What don't CUtler worshipers understand? This guy couldn't lead while he was here. He had an arm "stronger than Elway" but thats all he cared about. Him. He didn't care about the team or his teamates or else he would still be here. He didn't care about his followers and city and organization that drafted him or else he would still be here. He turned his back on YOU!!

Peerless
04-15-2009, 11:06 AM
You might now care if they were Shanny picks, but you might care if they pan out. Give it some time "thumbs" you might enjoy the draft. ;)

It's hard to state my position since I don't post here a lot.

But I have said, we did get good "future" value for Cutler... IF (and that is a big IF) the players do in fact turn out.

It will make the overall team better in the future.

Northman
04-15-2009, 11:11 AM

I find the guy who agreed to work with QB... and who was excited to build an offense around him.... and then try to trade him and LIE about it, the SMALLER man.

He knew Cutler was the leader of the Broncos... the face of the offense, and really the team. And then McDummy pulls his failed trade stunt..... :eek:

I don't care if it's about the whole situation or not. McDaniels ****** up at the beginning, and caused this whole mess.

Than all i can say is your just as clueless and unable to handle any kind of adversity in your life as Jay is. McD was a dillhole for toying with the idea to trade Jay. Thats a no brainer. However, once McD laid all the cards on the table Jay had a hard time dealing with that. Keep in mind that didnt just apply to Jay Cutler. That comment applied to EVERY DENVER PLAYER. Yet, we didnt see a metldown of all proportions with the rest of the team. So either Jay had to come to terms with that or he didnt. Well, guess what? He chose to try and force a trade and got his wish. Its ok, he's well within his right to ask for one. But, dont try and paint this more than it really is. Jay wanted out in the end and forced their hand by ignoring them and his teammates. (You know, the guys he plays for?). So regardless of how this mess got started it ended with the guy in question wanting out. He was eventually traded becaue HE WANTED IT. End story.

Peerless
04-15-2009, 11:11 AM
Regardless if he lied about it or not, Jay had plenty of opportunities to stay and help resolve the differences but he chose to act like a 7 year old school girl instead of a 25 year old NFL starting QB.

He did I agree.

But when you meet with your head coach after he tried to trade you and lie about it, and he says that you can STILL be traded... :lol: Give me a ******* break.

I don't care if this is a man's sport. When you meet to make amends, you don't say that shit. That is the dumbest thing McD could have said, and he did say it.

"Listen Jay... I tried to get my guy Cassel... and you could still be traded. I'm not sorry about it. We good?"

LOL give me break.

Open your eyes and REALIZE that McDummy could have handled it MUCH better than he did.. <--------- ANSWER this

What don't CUtler worshipers understand? This guy couldn't lead while he was here. He had an arm "stronger than Elway" but thats all he cared about. Him. He didn't care about the team or his teamates or else he would still be here. He didn't care about his followers and city and organization that drafted him or else he would still be here. He turned his back on YOU!!

The stronger arm statement is so overblown. Can't a guy have a personal opinion? It's not like he kept brining up "Hey my arm is stronger."

He was asked: is your arm stronger than Elways?

JC: Yes.. I have a stronger am.

ZOMG HE SAID YESSSSSSS CRUCIFY HIM!!!!!!!!!!

He did care about his teammates. Don't be so blind by your hate of Jay since he's a non-bronco anymore.

Guys from Eddie Royal, Brandon Stokely, BMarsh, Casey Weigmann have ALL stated that Jay cares about his teammates.

He turned his back on everyone at the end, because his ******* coach turned his back.... well wait, he never wanted Cutler here in the FIRST place.

Peerless
04-15-2009, 11:13 AM
Than all i can say is your just as clueless and unable to handle any kind of adversity in your life as Jay is. McD was a dillhole for toying with the idea to trade Jay. Thats a no brainer. However, once McD laid all the cards on the table Jay had a hard time dealing with that. Keep in mind that didnt just apply to Jay Cutler. That comment applied to EVERY DENVER PLAYER.

The cards he left on the table after the trade during their meetings was basically:

"Yeah Jay I tried to trade you and I tried to bring in Matt Cassel. I don't regret every going behind your back. We good?"

Lets just basically forget how large of a moron I am for doing this behind your back, and from my failed and pathetic lie.

Superchop 7
04-15-2009, 11:14 AM
Can we please get a sticky of Sharpes comments?

In all this debate.......his was the voice of reason.

Rod is a company man, always has been, always will be.

Shannon is a guy that said what needed to be said.

Northman
04-15-2009, 11:15 AM
The cards he left on the table after the trade during their meetings was basically:

"Yeah Jay I tried to trade you and I tried to bring in Matt Cassel. I don't regret every going behind your back. We good?"

Lets just basically forget how large of a moron I am for doing this behind your back, and from my failed and pathetic lie.

Exactly. I would be saying. "Ok, you think you cant do this with me?", "See you in camp cause im going to prove you wrong".

That would have ended the whole thing right there. :salute:

Watchthemiddle
04-15-2009, 11:15 AM

Basically? Or is that what he said exactly? or basically?

Elevation inc
04-15-2009, 11:16 AM

so true, if your signifigant other cheats and you get pissy and say bad things and act immature it doesnt change the fact that the orginal fault was created by the original offender, while 2 wrongs dont make a right, and the same goes for this situation, we never would have been here if MCD didnt feel the need to cheat and look elsewhere all while acting as if nothing happened......its his fault and his alone he felt the need to try and have a fling with matt cassel:lol:

Watchthemiddle
04-15-2009, 11:16 AM
Exactly. I would be saying. "Ok, you think you cant do this with me?", "See you in camp cause im going to prove you wrong".

THats how competitors handle it.

powderaddict
04-15-2009, 11:17 AM

Maybe coaching had a part to play in the "misses"? I know that the defensive picks over the last what, 5+ years has been considered aweful. Maybe the problem wasn't the picks, but the way the picks were developed?

How do we know that Orton can't be that franchise QB? Brees wasn't considered a franchise QB until he went to NO, Warner was out of the league before getting his shot, even Brady was a 6th round pick riding the bench before he got his shot. Big Ben certainly didn't play like a "franchise QB" during his 1st superbowl win.

The picks acquired can be used to build up the defense much more quickly than could have been done without those picks. McDaniels is building a TEAM, not a player.

Maybe after meeting with Cutler early on, he found some serious concerns? He has worked with, and had success with some very good QB's. Brady has had his best years under McD's tutalege, and what he accomplished with Cassell is impressive. I'm trusting his judgement in this area over anything anyone on this board (including me) in regards to QB's. And, Cutler's actions (blowing off the owner is a huge deal, not just a minor tiff) give me reason to accept that maybe, just maybe, McDaniels had a legit reason to listen to offers.

Either way, I'm willing to at least give him a chance.

Peerless
04-15-2009, 11:18 AM

It would of.. and that's where I say Jay started acting retarded, even though McDaniels should have been on his knees the whole time and realizing how HUGE of a mistake he made for trying to get Matt Cassel here. Not saying: Hey.. I tried to do it, and I'm not sorry. But you can still be traded tomorrow.

(I mean c'mon though. If you are trying to make amends with your QB after a failed trade attempt... should you REALLY be telling him he can still be traded?? Even though it's true. Anyone can be traded. But should he REALLY have brought that up at this specific time??)

Watchthemiddle
04-15-2009, 11:22 AM
It would of.. and that's where I say Jay started acting retarded, even though McDaniels should have been on his knees the whole time and realizing how HUGE of a mistake he made for trying to get Matt Cassel here. Not saying: Hey.. I tried to do it, and I'm not sorry. But you can still be traded tomorrow.

(I mean c'mon though. If you are trying to make amends with your QB after a failed trade attempt... should you REALLY be telling him he can still be traded?? Even though it's true. Anyone can be traded. But should he REALLY have brought that up at this specific time??)

Fact is McDaniels saw out of Jay what most of us not blinded by the kool-aid saw....a guy with tools to play QB, but not the mental capacity to succeed in a system that requires the QB to make decisions on his own at the line if needed and run a high powered intricate offense.

McD said in his welcome to Denver Presser that his system requires a lot out of the QB mentally....he didn't say it required a rocket arm. Neither Brady nor Cassell has a rocket arm, but they have a good head on their shoulders.

Obviously Culter doesn't or he would still be here.

Northman
04-15-2009, 11:25 AM

The problem with that statment B4 is that McD stated that ANYONE could be traded if it was best for the team. It wasnt like McD said "Only You" are expendable. My biggest thing here is that McD was a dumbass, but because Jay handled it so poorly it only makes Jay look like the fool here. I was totally in his corner until he started to get all drama queen about it. I expected a whole lot more from Jay than i ever did from McDaniels. And once Jay requested a trade he totally lost me as a fan. There's being upset about something and then there's just having a total meltdown about it. To me, Jay not only handled this situation poorly, but showed me he allows people to get into his head way too easy. And if guys like Rivers and McD can play those kind of head games with him that easy than it doesnt speak a whole lot about his resolve as a player. IMO

Tempus Fugit
04-15-2009, 12:24 PM

Wait.... so many of the pro Cutler/anti McDaniels people here are claiming that the problem was McDaniels lying, either flat out or by omission, and you're complaining that he DIDN'T lie either flat out or by omission?

TXBRONC
04-15-2009, 12:31 PM
Wait.... so many of the pro Cutler/anti McDaniels people here are claiming that the problem was McDaniels lying, either flat out or by omission, and you're complaining that he DIDN'T lie either flat out or by omission?

Maybe you should try reading it again that's not what he said.

omac
04-15-2009, 01:36 PM
Fact is McDaniels saw out of Jay what most of us not blinded by the kool-aid saw....a guy with tools to play QB, but not the mental capacity to succeed in a system that requires the QB to make decisions on his own at the line if needed and run a high powered intricate offense.

Shanahan, Jeff Fisher, Jaws, Steve Young, Brandon Marshall, and even Josh McDaniels (when he was denying reports about him criticizing Cutler) disagrees with you.

(edit) And we did see Cutler run a high powered offense and make decisions on his own at the line. Besides the high passing yards and his effectivity in 3rd downs, he also had the 7th most TDs by a QB this season.

GEM
04-15-2009, 02:07 PM
Shanahan, Jeff Fisher, Jaws, Steve Young, Brandon Marshall, and even Josh McDaniels (when he was denying reports about him criticizing Cutler) disagrees with you.

(edit) And we did see Cutler run a high powered offense and make decisions on his own at the line. Besides the high passing yards and his effectivity in 3rd downs, he also had the 7th most TDs by a QB this season.

And out of 32 QB's he was 2nd highest in INT's behind Favre.

getlynched47
04-15-2009, 02:23 PM

His finger was bothering the entire year after the Patriots game...haven't you heard? :rolleyes:

BTW that's an excuse. But the fact that his defense gave up 400+ points in back to back seasons, he didn't have a 1000 yard rusher made Cutler pass the ball more is NOT an excuse. More passes = More interceptions are bound to happen. It doesn't help that Jay Cutler tries to fit the ball in to Brandon Marshall with quadruple coverage.

TXBRONC
04-15-2009, 02:44 PM

True but he also threw the ball 94 more times than Farve did.

Tempus Fugit
04-15-2009, 02:46 PM
Maybe you should try reading it again that's not what he said.

I read it correctly.

LRtagger
04-15-2009, 02:49 PM

Cutler was nothing but a draft pick in 2006, too. Clady was a draft pick. So was DJ. So was Eddie. So was Harris. So was Marshall. So was etc etc etc. How are those working out?

You dropped two names that havent produced. Granted draft picks don't always pan out, but let's at least try to remain optimistic here. We all know our defense needs a lot of help. We might be better off in the long run with this trade. Let's wait until after we get the picks in here to judge whether we are better or worse off post-trade.

GEM
04-15-2009, 02:51 PM
If you are going to point to his 7th highest TD's as a strength, you have to point to his 2nd highest INT's as a weakness.

Hell, I'm having trouble arguing here....I have 3 Cutler jerseys. I love the skills and talent. I just have a real issue getting behind a crybaby that skates out on his teammates and the fans.

:shrugs:

powderaddict
04-15-2009, 02:57 PM
Hell, I'm having trouble arguing here....I have 3 Cutler jerseys. I love the skills and talent. I just have a real issue getting behind a crybaby that skates out on his teammates and the fans.

That's exactly it.

He was my favorite player on the Broncos until his hissy fit.

After that, I only truly started actively disliking him after he told me that the Bears fans are more passionate than I am.

yardog
04-15-2009, 02:59 PM
Broncos owner thinks trade was good for both sides

JMO :tsk:

TXBRONC
04-15-2009, 03:02 PM
Cutler was nothing but a draft pick in 2006, too. Clady was a draft pick. So was DJ. So was Eddie. So was Harris. So was Marshall. So was etc etc etc. How are those working out?

You dropped two names that havent produced. Granted draft picks don't always pan out, but let's at least try to remain optimistic here. We all know our defense needs a lot of help. We might be better off in the long run with this trade. Let's wait until after we get the picks in here to judge whether we are better or worse off post-trade.

If McDaniels is able to make wise choices with those picks I'm all for it.

Denver Native (Carol)
04-15-2009, 03:04 PM
Than all i can say is your just as clueless and unable to handle any kind of adversity in your life as Jay is. McD was a dillhole for toying with the idea to trade Jay. Thats a no brainer. However, once McD laid all the cards on the table Jay had a hard time dealing with that. Keep in mind that didnt just apply to Jay Cutler. That comment applied to EVERY DENVER PLAYER. Yet, we didnt see a metldown of all proportions with the rest of the team. So either Jay had to come to terms with that or he didnt. Well, guess what? He chose to try and force a trade and got his wish. Its ok, he's well within his right to ask for one. But, dont try and paint this more than it really is. Jay wanted out in the end and forced their hand by ignoring them and his teammates. (You know, the guys he plays for?). So regardless of how this mess got started it ended with the guy in question wanting out. He was eventually traded becaue HE WANTED IT. End story.

I think that a MAJOR NEW CONTRACT would have stopped any request for a trade - but since the Broncos did not BITE on the new contract - a trade by the player and agent was forced - IT'S AS SIMPLE AS THAT - GIVE ME THE $$ - OR - I WANT OUT OF HERE

omac
04-15-2009, 03:18 PM
If you are going to point to his 7th highest TD's as a strength, you have to point to his 2nd highest INT's as a weakness.

Weakness, definitely. The ratio isn't too bad considering the amount he's had to throw, but it's one thing he could definitely improve on.

What I have issue with is an outsider coach who's first move was to inadvertently break the trust between a coach and QB, and that the coach wouldn't give the same commitment to Cutler that the former superbowl winning coach did. From then on, I knew Cutler wouldn't want to play for him, just like Sharpe and Al said. As it was a business decision to try and trade Cutler for Cassel, so it was a business decision for Cutler to want to be traded. It goes both ways, specially if the coach won't commit to Cutler's future as a Bronco. I have no qualms with that, and look forward to Orton doing well here.

I also have an issue with McDaniels not showing any respect for anything Broncos, whether in the way Shanahan related to his players, to giving enough consideration to role players who've done their jobs well (to compete for their jobs), to seemingly removing anything Broncos, from coaching staff to players, and replacing them with Patriots.

When Tony Dunghy took over the Colts, he kept the offense (players and coaches) because it showed promise. When Tomlin took over Steelers, he kept the defense and LeBeau, because they were good, even though he was a defense guy who could've changed things up to put his signature on it. I just hope the moves McDaniels has done were only to make the team better, not to put his mark and prove what a great coach he is.

We've gone from a team with an offense only needing a solid rushing threat, with a poor defense, to a suspect but potentially good offense, with a poor but hopeful defense. We now have more question marks than before he came in.

I'll give him an honest shot, though. He did learn from Bellichick, so I'm pretty sure his X's and O's are really good.

LRtagger
04-15-2009, 03:18 PM

I never had a problem with Jay until the whole "I never wanted to be traded, I love my teammates" interview.

LRtagger
04-15-2009, 03:20 PM
If McDaniels is able to make wise choices with those picks I'm all for it.

The good news is, if he doesn't utilize the picks to his advantage, he wont be in Denver long.

omac
04-15-2009, 03:25 PM
The good news is, if he doesn't utilize the picks to his advantage, he wont be in Denver long.

Yikes, we'd better hope he does well. If he flops in Denver, then we lost a young franchise QB, and possibly a young playmaking TE, for nothing. :D

GEM
04-15-2009, 05:09 PM
Weakness, definitely. The ratio isn't too bad considering the amount he's had to throw, but it's one thing he could definitely improve on.

What I have issue with is an outsider coach who's first move was to inadvertently break the trust between a coach and QB, and that the coach wouldn't give the same commitment to Cutler that the former superbowl winning coach did. From then on, I knew Cutler wouldn't want to play for him, just like Sharpe and Al said. As it was a business decision to try and trade Cutler for Cassel, so it was a business decision for Cutler to want to be traded. It goes both ways, specially if the coach won't commit to Cutler's future as a Bronco. I have no qualms with that, and look forward to Orton doing well here.

I also have an issue with McDaniels not showing any respect for anything Broncos, whether in the way Shanahan related to his players, to giving enough consideration to role players who've done their jobs well (to compete for their jobs), to seemingly removing anything Broncos, from coaching staff to players, and replacing them with Patriots.

When Tony Dunghy took over the Colts, he kept the offense (players and coaches) because it showed promise. When Tomlin took over Steelers, he kept the defense and LeBeau, because they were good, even though he was a defense guy who could've changed things up to put his signature on it. I just hope the moves McDaniels has done were only to make the team better, not to put his mark and prove what a great coach he is.

We've gone from a team with an offense only needing a solid rushing threat, with a poor defense, to a suspect but potentially good offense, with a poor but hopeful defense. We now have more question marks than before he came in.

I'll give him an honest shot, though. He did learn from Bellichick, so I'm pretty sure his X's and O's are really good.

I am in no way happy with McDoogie. BUT he came in, he shook things up. I don't like how he did it, but I have to wait to make judgement on that until it is shown to be an utter failure. At this point, where it matters the most (on the field) I haven't seen yet. Ask me again next offseason. Until then, I'm hoping for the best.

Watchthemiddle
04-15-2009, 06:00 PM

So from what I am reading from you is that ..... you hope he doesn't utilize those pics well therefore Bowlin with axe him....

Ummmm......LRtagger meet Shanahan.......

Have you seen his past 14 years of drafting? Thats right ....14 years...

If McD happens to have 1 or 2 bad years of drafting......he has 12 more to make up for it.....:laugh:

Watchthemiddle
04-15-2009, 06:01 PM
Yikes, we'd better hope he does well. If he flops in Denver, then we lost a young franchise QB, and possibly a young playmaking TE, for nothing. :D

whose the young playmaking TE? :confused:That we have lost? :confused:

Nomad
04-15-2009, 06:05 PM
Here's a good read if you want to click on the link! It's about teams and how they've drafted over the last 5 yrs.
http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/9453994/Draft-review:-How-every-team-ranks-from-2003-%2708?CMP=OTC-K9B140813162&ATT=5

Rick
04-15-2009, 08:30 PM

I like to think when I post that I do so thoughtfully but as smart as I sometimes think I am I don't pretend to know more than hall of fame worthy players, owners of profesional teams, or coaches of said teams.

I sit on my couch watching the games, I am not in the locker room or the coaches office.

I do a little googleing to see players stats, and post my opinions on these boards.

Unfortunatly the ability to post is not determined by ones IQ, all youhave to have is moderate typing ability and usually no reading ability.

Cugel
04-16-2009, 12:01 AM
The problem with that statment B4 is that McD stated that ANYONE could be traded if it was best for the team. It wasnt like McD said "Only You" are expendable.

Here's a translation for you: :coffee:

McDaniels: "Nobody is untradeable."

Translation: Drew Brees, Tom Brady, Ben Roethlisberger, Peyton Manning, Eli Manning, Phillip Rivers, Aaron Rogers, Joe Flacco, Matt Ryan, etc., about 10-12 QBs in this league are 'untradeable.' I just don't consider you to be one of those QBs."

McDaniels: "I don't regret anything. I wouldn't do anything differently if I had it to do over."

Translation: "I don't regret trying to trade you. I regret not succeeding. I wish I had Matt Cassel right now instead of you."

McDaniels: "Nobody can predict the future."

Translation: "I may be stuck with you for now, but I have ZERO commitment to you as my franchise QB of the future. I'll trade your ass anytime I can get a deal that doesn't make me look bad, maybe this April, maybe after the season."

Now, should Jay have stuck around after that "to be the bigger man?" And if so, why? :coffee:

getlynched47
04-16-2009, 12:22 AM
http://myespn.go.com/blogs/afcwest/0-3-1989/Around-the-AFC-West.html

What else is Bowlen supposed to say? He has to take the high road concerning Cutler because there is still a belief that his new coach, Josh McDaniels, is at fault for allowing the situation with the quarterback to deteriorate. Bowlen also continued to support McDaniels. Again, what else would you expect? Bowlen's legacy hinges in part on his decision to fire Mike Shanahan and hire McDaniels. He needs McDaniels to succeed.

Bingo!!!!!!!

Northman
04-16-2009, 12:27 AM
Here's a translation for you: :coffee:

McDaniels: "Nobody is untradeable."

Translation: Drew Brees, Tom Brady, Ben Roethlisberger, Peyton Manning, Eli Manning, Phillip Rivers, Aaron Rogers, Joe Flacco, Matt Ryan, etc., about 10-12 QBs in this league are 'untradeable.' I just don't consider you to be one of those QBs."

McDaniels: "I don't regret anything. I wouldn't do anything differently if I had it to do over."

Translation: "I don't regret trying to trade you. I regret not succeeding. I wish I had Matt Cassel right now instead of you."

McDaniels: "Nobody can predict the future."

Translation: "I may be stuck with you for now, but I have ZERO commitment to you as my franchise QB of the future. I'll trade your ass anytime I can get a deal that doesn't make me look bad, maybe this April, maybe after the season."

Now, should Jay have stuck around after that "to be the bigger man?" And if so, why? :coffee:

Because, he plays for his teammates..err, so he says he does anyway. :lol:

Shazam!
04-16-2009, 01:05 AM
I never had a problem with Jay until the whole "I never wanted to be traded, I love my teammates" interview.

OMG your Av scares the crap out of me. I'd rather Denver trade away their 2 1sts and their 1st next year for Stafford, or take any other QB in the Draft. Bite your tongue on Sanchez. Denver will be DOOMED if they select him as their future QB. The guy has bust written all over him.

As I said earlier in a few threads-

NO SANCHEZ NO SANCHEZ NO SANCHEZ NO SANCHEZ NO SANCHEZ NO SANCHEZ NO SANCHEZ NO SANCHEZ NO SANCHEZ NO SANCHEZ NO SANCHEZ NO SANCHEZ.

omac
04-16-2009, 03:56 AM
whose the young playmaking TE? :confused:That we have lost? :confused:

It's no secret that Scheffler's been on the block. If the FO gets takers, he's gone.

Elevation inc
04-16-2009, 06:55 AM
well the good thing for bowlen is he wont have to wait long to find out if his wonder kid coach and the trade of the decade were really worth it for this franchise.

hopefully it works out, but if it doesnt he needs to bring the axe and not let this drag out praying his wonderkid coach can get it done.....

LRtagger
04-16-2009, 07:56 AM
So from what I am reading from you is that ..... you hope he doesn't utilize those pics well therefore Bowlin with axe him....

Ummmm......LRtagger meet Shanahan.......

Have you seen his past 14 years of drafting? Thats right ....14 years...

If McD happens to have 1 or 2 bad years of drafting......he has 12 more to make up for it.....:laugh:

Not at all. I fully support McD and I am confident he can use the next two drafts to help turn this team around. At least I hope he can.

I hope there aren't any fans that are hoping the next two drafts fail just so McD will get fired.

What I meant was, at least we know if he does fail we wont have to put up with 10 more years of mediocrity.

Nomad
04-16-2009, 08:03 AM
I hope there aren't any fans that are hoping the next two drafts fail just so McD will get fired.

Sad to say, there are many fans (from what I read at BM and here at BF)that want to see McDaniels fail miserably to prove they were RIGHT!!!!

I want the guy to succeed and bring Denver back to it's winning ways! Hopefully that did not leave with Elway and Mile High Stadium! Hmmm...the curse of Elway!!:D j/k

LRtagger
04-16-2009, 08:31 AM
Sad to say, there are many fans (from what I read at BM and here at BF)that want to see McDaniels fail miserably to prove they were RIGHT!!!!

I want the guy to succeed and bring Denver back to it's winning ways! Hopefully that did not leave with Elway and Mile High Stadium! Hmmm...the curse of Elway!!:D j/k

It's sad guys want to see their team fail just so they can say I told you so. :tsk:

GEM
04-16-2009, 09:53 AM
It's sad guys want to see their team fail just so they can say I told you so. :tsk:

Pretty effing pathetic actually.