PDA

View Full Version : A new day

MOtorboat
03-22-2012, 10:17 AM
What will the offense look like with Peyton Manning at the helm?

Thus far, I've been underwhelmed by the wide receiver signings, and disappointed that a pass catching tight end has not been added. I know there is still a lot of time left in FA, and the potential of someone in the draft, but I am curious of everyone's thoughts.

Did Manning tell Elway he was impressed with Thomas and Decker? Is that why it appears they will continue into the season as the No. 1 and No. 2?

I'm not sure Manning has ever had two targets of that size on any of his teams at the same time, and that intrigues me.

Can Julius Thomas become a top-flight pass catching tight end with Manning?

Does Manning's pocket presence make this offensive line better? Do we begin to incorporate the stretch run, now, and can McGahee be effective in that system. Could Moreno become a real weapon, catching passes out of the backfield?

I'm excited, and interested to see what happens.

SR
03-22-2012, 10:20 AM
I have the same questions and concerns. I think it'll work itself out though. I've got faith in Elway and company.

Northman
03-22-2012, 10:23 AM
Im content with everything right now. Im like Clay, we are heading in the right direction.

rationalfan
03-22-2012, 10:26 AM
Keep this in mind: Peyton chose Denver. That suggests he's much more comfortable about the receivers situation than we might be.

Thnikkaman
03-22-2012, 10:31 AM
We aren't signing a WR because we will be drafting Marvin McNutt.

/homerspeak

vandammage13
03-22-2012, 10:31 AM
difficult to say...It depends on our WR's and the health of Manning.

DT has never had any experience running anything outside of simple routes in an option offense..(GT triple option in college, Tebow's offense last year). Who knows if he has what it takes to understand complicated route schemes. He's got the physical tools, but does he have the brains?

Decker is coming of a bad knee injury...can he recover from this?

Julius Thomas is a bigger project than Tebow IMO, but like DT, he definitely has the physical tools to get it done...Jury is out on him...Losing Fells means we will have to upgrade the TE position somehow.

And then there's Manning's injury...Is he past it or not? Will his age catch up to him and his body break down in other ways not related to the neck? If he can revert back to 2010 Manning then a lot of the issues stated above will be minimized due to Peyton's ability to put people in the right position.

There's a lot of factors in play here...this scenario has the potential to be the greatest FA move of all time, or we could fall flat on our face and have to start from square one.

Ravage!!!
03-22-2012, 10:32 AM
All great questions. I think Thomas and Decker are fine. I think people have jumped all over Decker's case for WAyyyy too little. But then, we've seen that before. Our kicker would have been thrown into the ocean after his rookie year if it was up to the message board posters. I think the guy we signed at WR (Caldwell?) is a perfect "kind" of WR to add to the roster. Not a world-beater, but a good #3 or #4 type of guy. One that has been around the NFL, has some decent talent, and with Manning throwing the ball..... INCREASES in ability. Manning has made a lot of mediocre WRs look really good.

I don't know if Tamme has signed anywhere, but he's another example of a player that doesn't have to have GREAT skills to have great year with Manning leading the offense. Sign a guy like him,that already knows how Manning works, and he's a good compliment player.

We saw our OL improve with the likes of Cutler behind the LoS...so I feel very certain that our OL will be pretty damned good with Manning. For several reasons, but the top 2 main ones. Everyone knows the passing threat that Manning is, so we won't see 8-9 men in the box...thus making it hard on the OL to block for the run AND for the pass. Since everyone was so close to the LoS, it made it hard on the OL'man to pick up everyone, and identify the blitzers. Two, Manning knows how to get rid of the ball quickly. Many times we would see our QB sit in the pocket WAyyyyyy too long, just holding, holding, holding. So I believe our OL is much better, and will be better, than what so many believe to be a problem last season.

As far as the offensive philosphy/approach... I think you absolutely have to let Manning be Manning on the field. He's the smartest player in the game...let him run his offense and let him do his thing.

I would like some speed in the backfield, and would love a really good signing at WR for good depth. Bring in a Saturday to QB the OL and I think that would be sooo huge for this team.

Northman
03-22-2012, 10:34 AM
Our kicker would have been thrown into the ocean after his rookie year if it was up to the message board posters.

:lol::lol::lol::lol:

So true!

SOCALORADO.
03-22-2012, 10:37 AM
They will bring in Saturday, Tamme and Stockley i think.
I also think Orange Julius is gonna be more of a TE/WR type of player. I think he will be used in a hybrid type of position in the slot at times. Hes 6-5 250, and fast as hell. They should be able to get this guy involved in a big way. 2 TE sets, whatever.
Caldwell is a solid No#3 WR too. And much needed depth. I also think Matt Willis will suprise you. HE played well with TT, so it stands to reason he will be even better with Manning.
DEN needs another RB. Moreno is a bust and nothings gonna change that. Hes NOT fast, and never has been. Terrible vision. Just an all around bust player. And now hes even slower! And it turns out hes an idiot as a person.
DEN either needs to draft another RB or trade for one. I honestly never saw much of a difference between lance ball and the lawfirm, so i get why they didnt go after him, but now they still need another RB, so hopefully they look at Doug Martin in the draft. these positions will get resolved quickly enough, but its the DT position that has me VERY worried.
EFX are in deep shit on the interior of this defense.

TXBRONC
03-22-2012, 10:44 AM
What will the offense look like with Peyton Manning at the helm?

Thus far, I've been underwhelmed by the wide receiver signings, and disappointed that a pass catching tight end has not been added. I know there is still a lot of time left in FA, and the potential of someone in the draft, but I am curious of everyone's thoughts.

Did Manning tell Elway he was impressed with Thomas and Decker? Is that why it appears they will continue into the season as the No. 1 and No. 2?

I'm not sure Manning has ever had two targets of that size on any of his teams at the same time, and that intrigues me.

Can Julius Thomas become a top-flight pass catching tight end with Manning?

Does Manning's pocket presence make this offensive line better? Do we begin to incorporate the stretch run, now, and can McGahee be effective in that system. Could Moreno become a real weapon, catching passes out of the backfield?

I'm excited, and interested to see what happens.

I know Manning has had some very good receivers over the years but he's also taken guys like Austin Collie made them productive. Is Collie miles ahead of guys like Decker and Thomas? I don't think he is but time will tell.

Slick
03-22-2012, 10:44 AM
I think we are going to see a lot more production from the TE position. That is exciting. Thomas and Green both should improve.

Someone refresh my memory. Did Thomas get hurt last year? I don't remember him playing a whole lot late in the year, but I do remember seeing Green wide open several times last year. I would occasionally yell " Get it to the TE" at my TV.

vandammage13
03-22-2012, 10:47 AM
To channel my inner Weazel anytime a prediction is asked for....

I dont have a crystal ball so I cant answer this for you... anyone else's crystal ball working?

Medford Bronco
03-22-2012, 10:48 AM
What is happening with dallas clark? This is a huge need for us

I care about this way more than the tebow fallout. I want what is best for denver. Good luck tim
In that horrible joke org the jets.

slim
03-22-2012, 10:52 AM
I like the Bubba signing.

DT and Decker outside and Bubba will play slot.....JT and probably Tamme at TE.

My biggest concern right now is the OL. They are not great at pass protection and that worries me.

vandammage13
03-22-2012, 10:53 AM
I like the Bubba signing.

DT and Decker outside and Bubba will play slot.....JT and probably Tamme at TE.

My biggest concern right now is the OL. They are not great at pass protection and that worries me.

I wonder if Bubba has the star power to keep the Gator fans around...

Mike
03-22-2012, 10:55 AM
I think we will sign a TE. Manning makes WRs, so I am not too concerned about that position.

O-line, D-line, MLB, S, CB are all concerns to me though. A lot can happen still and Manning can elevate a team, but this roster isn't anywhere near a SB contender, IMO. Unless we make some tremendous moves in the next few weeks and hit big in the draft, I expect this season to be a transition season. Should compete in the AFCW, but won't expect much more than that.

Ravage!!!
03-22-2012, 10:56 AM
I think we will sign a TE. Manning makes WRs, so I am not too concerned about that position.

O-line, D-line, MLB, S, CB are all concerns to me though. A lot can happen still and Manning can elevate a team, but this roster isn't anywhere near a SB contender, IMO. Unless we make some tremendous moves in the next few weeks and hit big in the draft, I expect this season to be a transition season. Should compete in the AFCW, but won't expect much more than that.

Agreed. I don't think the Manning signing makes us an immediate SB contender (or at least a SERIOUS contender) out of the gate, but certainly makes it easier.

slim
03-22-2012, 10:57 AM
I wonder if Bubba has the star power to keep the Gator fans around...

Man, I hope so!

Northman
03-22-2012, 11:01 AM
Man, I hope so!

You would.

slim
03-22-2012, 11:05 AM
You would.

They are my brothers.

SOCALORADO.
03-22-2012, 11:06 AM
What is happening with dallas clark? This is a huge need for us

I care about this way more than the tebow fallout. I want what is best for denver. Good luck tim
In that horrible joke org the jets.

Tamme more than Clark. But yeah, DEN needs at TE and bad!

MOtorboat
03-22-2012, 11:08 AM
They are my brothers.

We're going to have words. This is a thread for hope and change.

Mike
03-22-2012, 11:10 AM
Tamme more than Clark. But yeah, DEN needs at TE and bad!

I read Tamme is looking for more $$ than we are looking to pay.

slim
03-22-2012, 11:10 AM

Well, I would like to change the OL.

I bet they will move Franlin inside and go with Harris at RT (much better an pass pro).

Thnikkaman
03-22-2012, 12:20 PM

I hope I don't get to experience Shadenfreude when Manning becomes the reason we are two years behind schedule on our team rebuild. I'm changing my attitude towards this whole thing, but my feelings are reserved. I don't feel good about this signing, but I'll take it.

MOtorboat
03-22-2012, 12:25 PM
I hope I don't get to experience Shadenfreude when Manning becomes the reason we are two years behind schedule on our team rebuild. I'm changing my attitude towards this whole thing, but my feelings are reserved. I don't feel good about this signing, but I'll take it.

Thnikkamore?

SpringsBroncoFan
03-22-2012, 12:26 PM
Well, I would like to change the OL.

I bet they will move Franlin inside and go with Harris at RT (much better an pass pro).

I just hope he has gotten better at dealing with the bull rush... except for the angle, not much dif than guys blowing by Franklin... but at least it happens in Peyton's face so he can dump it, unlike Beadles getting bull rushed in a partial blind spot...

Thread for hope and change??? Rushing things a bit are you... :D

Thnikkaman
03-22-2012, 12:32 PM
Thnikkamore?

No, I can't hold onto my disdain for that long. I think it took me a week to get over the Cutler trade, and the 4-12 season didn't bother me that much.

This is entertainment, not my life.

MOtorboat
03-22-2012, 12:38 PM
I just hope he has gotten better at dealing with the bull rush... except for the angle, not much dif than guys blowing by Franklin... but at least it happens in Peyton's face so he can dump it, unlike Beadles getting bull rushed in a partial blind spot...

Thread for hope and change??? Rushing things a bit are you... :D

I really was trying to avoid any Tebow talk, but we now have a quarterback who will see it 9.5 times out of 10 and check the play down or adjust blocking schemes before the play even begins.

jhildebrand
03-22-2012, 12:43 PM
My concern isn't the WR's and TE's.

If you were at camp last year, then you saw Julius Thomas dominate fools. Even Champ had some issues with him. His problem, outside of getting injured, is the offense changed. I expect Matt Willis, D'Andre Goodwin and Thomas all to do big things.

My concerns for this team in order would be:

O Line-Beadles is one MAJOR concern to the $96 million dollar investment line up a couple yards away.
D Line-This team needs a DT, preferably a 3 technique, in a BAD way. It better hope Wilfork can do something.
Secondary-Goodman (is he still on the team) sucks. Dawk is an unknown. Moore looks to be a disappointment.
LB'ers: Once again DJ is a complete jacktard. Woodyard is nice but not the PRESENCE this team needs. Irving is unknown.

BroncoJoe
03-22-2012, 12:51 PM
Wait - Mo is disappointed in the Broncos?

Shocking.

MOtorboat
03-22-2012, 12:53 PM
Wait - Mo is disappointed in the Broncos?

Shocking.

That's all you got out of that?

:confused:

topscribe
03-22-2012, 01:00 PM
My concern isn't the WR's and TE's.

If you were at camp last year, then you saw Julius Thomas dominate fools. Even Champ had some issues with him. His problem, outside of getting injured, is the offense changed. I expect Matt Willis, D'Andre Goodwin and Thomas all to do big things.

My concerns for this team in order would be:

O Line-Beadles is one MAJOR concern to the $96 million dollar investment line up a couple yards away.
D Line-This team needs a DT, preferably a 3 technique, in a BAD way. It better hope Wilfork can do something.
Secondary-Goodman (is he still on the team) sucks. Dawk is an unknown. Moore looks to be a disappointment.
LB'ers: Once again DJ is a complete jacktard. Woodyard is nice but not the PRESENCE this team needs. Irving is unknown.
I agree with you that TE is not a huge concern, although I'd like to see them get another pass-catching TE to go along with Julius. As NE has so adeptly demonstrated, two good receiving TEs are very hard for a defense to deal with, especially with an elite QB at the other end of the pass.

Personally, I would like to see Franklin go back to LG. Between him and Clady, that would make a couple of behemoths on the left side for defenses to deal with. I'm not so sure that would be hard to do this year. They do have Ryan Harris back, and, while he's not the run blocker Franklin is, he is a far superior pass blocker at tackle. If they can sign Saturday and move Franklin to LG, then all the sudden there is depth on the O-line with Beadles and Walton in the wings.

They have shored up the safety spot some with the addition of Adams, who is no superstar but is solid. If they can sign Porter, then they should have a good group -- not elite, but good. That's all they need if they can get the pass rush going with Doom and Von -- and I think Ayers breaks out a little in that area this year.

I think D.J. is going to win his argument with the NFL. Not that something wasn't up, but they blew it in the way they went about it, and I don't see the court's not recognizing that. Before Bunkley escaped, I considered MLB the biggest hole on the defense, but now we have a problem at DT. Maybe Warren is impressing them. But even if Warren comes back, they need depth. I don't see much behind Warren and Thomas -- maybe McBean.

But the hole at MLB lingers. I'm not sure I can bear again watching Mays overrun his gaps and get outrun by everybody coming out of the backfield. I hope McClain can forgive them for jilting him when he came to visit and they can make a run at him. And what's the matter with Connor? Haven't heard a peep about him. MLB should be a matter of urgency to the FO, IMO.

If they can shore up DT and MLB, however, then I look for Denver to handily win the AFCW.

aberdien
03-22-2012, 01:08 PM
I want defense (secondary specifically) and a running back. WR and TE would be nice to pick somebody up, but I wouldn't say that it's going to kill us if we don't.

CoachChaz
03-22-2012, 01:19 PM
I agree with you that TE is not a huge concern, although I'd like to see them get another pass-catching TE to go along with Julius. As NE has so adeptly demonstrated, two good receiving TEs are very hard for a defense to deal with, especially with an elite QB at the other end of the pass.

Personally, I would like to see Franklin go back to LG. Between him and Clady, that would make a couple of behemoths on the left side for defenses to deal with. I'm not so sure that would be hard to do this year. They do have Ryan Harris back, and, while he's not the run blocker Franklin is, he is a far superior pass blocker at tackle. If they can sign Saturday and move Franklin to LG, then all the sudden there is depth on the O-line with Beadles and Walton in the wings.

They have shored up the safety spot some with the addition of Adams, who is no superstar but is solid. If they can sign Porter, then they should have a good group -- not elite, but good. That's all they need if they can get the pass rush going with Doom and Von -- and I think Ayers breaks out a little in that area this year.

I think D.J. is going to win his argument with the NFL. Not that something wasn't up, but they blew it in the way they went about it, and I don't see the court's not recognizing that. Before Bunkley escaped, I considered MLB the biggest hole on the defense, but now we have a problem at DT. Maybe Warren is impressing them. But even if Warren comes back, they need depth. I don't see much behind Warren and Thomas -- maybe McBean.

But the hole at MLB lingers. I'm not sure I can bear again watching Mays overrun his gaps and get outrun by everybody coming out of the backfield. I hope McClain can forgive them for jilting him when he came to visit and they can make a run at him. And what's the matter with Connor? Haven't heard a peep about him. MLB should be a matter of urgency to the FO, IMO.

If they can shore up DT and MLB, however, then I look for Denver to handily win the AFCW.

Connor signed with Dallas 2 weeks ago.

McClain would be welcome, but I prefer Lofton first. Keuchly and Hightower should be available when we pick as well

topscribe
03-22-2012, 01:23 PM
Connor signed with Dallas 2 weeks ago.

McClain would be welcome, but I prefer Lofton first. Keuchly and Hightower should be available when we pick as well
That's right, I forgot that about Connor. Crap.

But do you think Keuchly really would be available? Man, I would be doing back flips -- well, figuratively (my time for that has passed :D ).

jhildebrand
03-22-2012, 01:25 PM
I think D.J. is going to win his argument with the NFL.

I agree with everything but this. Even if DJ wins he still has his trial for his DUI which will probably result in action from the league. At the end of the day, he has shown he cant be counted on as he continues to find himself in trouble. :noidea: So for that reason I listed his position as a concern.

If coach is right about Keuchly being available when we pick, I am not sure the broncos can pass on him. I have a feeling the Chiefs will take him and not because I drafted him in the Broncos mock :D

wayninja
03-22-2012, 01:29 PM
I agree with those that say our O-line is the most concerning. We have to err on the side of caution and assume that Manning is injury prone. I'm not saying he is, I'm saying we simply have to make our O-line so solid that it never comes down to the test.

If we manage to do that, I feel everything should just snap into place. There are some holes and changes that need to be addressed, but I think the above is the majority of the battle.

The next worrisome thing for me, would be run defense.

topscribe
03-22-2012, 01:32 PM
I agree with everything but this. Even if DJ wins he still has his trial for his DUI which will probably result in action from the league. At the end of the day, he has shown he cant be counted on as he continues to find himself in trouble. :noidea: So for that reason I listed his position as a concern.

If coach is right about Keuchly being available when we pick, I am not sure the broncos can pass on him. I have a feeling the Chiefs will take him and not because I drafted him in the Broncos mock :D
If Irving isn't cutting it at MLB, maybe they should see what he can do at WILL . . .

jhildebrand
03-22-2012, 01:46 PM
I agree with those that say our O-line is the most concerning. We have to err on the side of caution and assume that Manning is injury prone. I'm not saying he is, I'm saying we simply have to make our O-line so solid that it never comes down to the test.

They just need to look at the difference in line play when Orton was starting vs Tebow. The line is a major problem. I don't care how fast Manning can get the ball out.

jhildebrand
03-22-2012, 01:46 PM
If Irving isn't cutting it at MLB, maybe they should see what he can do at WILL . . .

I say do it anyway.

BroncoJoe
03-22-2012, 01:52 PM
That's all you got out of that?

:confused:

Yes. Start out negative, I typically quit reading.

wayninja
03-22-2012, 01:54 PM
They just need to look at the difference in line play when Orton was starting vs Tebow. The line is a major problem. I don't care how fast Manning can get the ball out.

I agree, but to me, it's not even about that. They can't let guys get close enough for even a penalty. We have to assume, correct or not, that Manning is fragile. As Elway said, we have no plan B, we are going with plan A. So, let's not **** up plan A.

You know there are guys out there chomping at the bit to test how durable he is.

jhildebrand
03-22-2012, 01:57 PM
I agree, but to me, it's not even about that. They can't let guys get close enough for even a penalty. We have to assume, correct or not, that Manning is fragile. As Elway said, we have no plan B, we are going with plan A. So, let's not **** up plan A.

You know there are guys out there chomping at the bit to test how durable he is.

But the league and its bent nature on player safety will be a factor. Players noticed the NO suspensions.

Also, Manning will benefit from the usual Manning Brady rule. Breathe on the guy, fart in his vicinity, even look at him wrong and you are gettting flagged. That will limit some of the concern of him getting rocked and injured.

topscribe
03-22-2012, 01:59 PM
Breathe on the guy, fart in his vicinity, even look at him wrong and you are gettting flagged.
:lol:

wayninja
03-22-2012, 02:17 PM
But the league and its bent nature on player safety will be a factor. Players noticed the NO suspensions.

Also, Manning will benefit from the usual Manning Brady rule. Breathe on the guy, fart in his vicinity, even look at him wrong and you are gettting flagged. That will limit some of the concern of him getting rocked and injured.

All good points, but play a couple of guys like Harrison, and it will be too tempting not to take a shot. Flag or no flag. I think Manning may have the single biggest target on his back out of any QB next year.

bcbronc
03-22-2012, 05:02 PM
All good points, but play a couple of guys like Harrison, and it will be too tempting not to take a shot. Flag or no flag. I think Manning may have the single biggest target on his back out of any QB next year.

Just like every other year. Elite QBs have huge targets on their back in every game they play. Just ask Sean Payton.

I'm confident our offense will go to another level next season, and for more than just the addition of Manning. I'm a bit different than many in that I've been happy with the direction our offense has been heading, outside the QB position and the durability of our offensive backfield. IMO the offense would have improved no matter who was at QB, and just that much more so with PM.

I've said all offseason that our OL was better than people thought. Even though Peyton Manning will have a huge influence on our offense, I don't see Fox going away from his run blocking scheme, so it will be nice to have some continuity there. Walton would get my vote for weakest link, and if Saturday signs here, that would be upgraded. There will also be improvement just from development and having an offseason with coaches. And of course PM will make sure we're in the best play and blocking call just about every play. When it comes to pre-snap reads and adjustments, there's probably no one in the history of the game as good as PM.

It's been touched on already, but when the defense can just bring 9 guys into the box and have each one plug a gap, it puts a lot of stress on any OL, never mind one of the youngest in the league learning yet another new blocking scheme. The Peyton effect should have a huge positive impact on our OL.

WRs we're okay. I'm big on DT, feel he's already a #1 WR and expect him to explode with Manning. Decker is big and can make plays. The rest of the guys are decent enough. IMO our WR corp as it stands is at least comparable to the group Brady was winning Superbowls with pre-Welker and Moss.

TEs are big question marks...obviously going to need to sign a vet. If JThomas can be a matchup nightmare like he looked in camp last year, we should be fine.

Difficult to say on RBs now. Still like to add at least one set of fresh legs.

jhildebrand
03-22-2012, 05:54 PM
Every team is an injury away to their starting QB and their season being wrecked. That is the nature of the NFL.