PDA

View Full Version : Great Breakdown on McDaniels Offense

powderaddict
04-14-2009, 01:58 PM
http://www.milehighreport.com/2009/4/14/812783/divining-the-mcdaniels-way-part-4

This is the 4th part of a 4 part series. I looked and didn't see it posted, but if the rest of the series has I apologize.

I STRONGLY recommend taking some time and reading this series, starting with the 1st installment (located here: http://www.milehighreport.com/2009/3/31/811318/divining-the-mcdaniels-way-part-1).

They break down the Patriots offense and compare it to Denvers offense under Shanahan. It's very well done, and has given me a lot to be excited about.

Anyways, enjoy! :salute:

DenBronx
04-14-2009, 02:13 PM
big differance in the two offenses is that new england knew how to punch it in the red zone. we never have had problems getting yards it mainly just putting points on the board in the redzone. yeah we hit a few home runs here and there, got the lead but seemed to dwindle down to the "just hang on" mentality.

new england is rated #7 in the last 4 years in scoring. hopefully we will be something remotely close to that. they also have a "franchise" qb named tom brady too. we now have a game manager in kyle orton.

powderaddict
04-14-2009, 02:23 PM
I'm sure Brady has a lot to do with it, but read the entire series if you haven't.

Denver's offense has been impressive and flashy, but horribly inefficient. New Englands has been the model of patience, and efficiency. I hope that McDaniels can really bring that mind-set and effectiveness to this offense. And with the weapons Denver still has on the offense, there might not be the step backwards on offense many of us expect with the loss of Cutler.

TXBRONC
04-14-2009, 02:33 PM
I'm sure Brady has a lot to do with it, but read the entire series if you haven't.

Denver's offense has been impressive and flashy, but horribly inefficient. New Englands has been the model of patience, and efficiency. I hope that McDaniels can really bring that mind-set and effectiveness to this offense. And with the weapons Denver still has on the offense, there might not be the step backwards on offense many of us expect with the loss of Cutler.

Maybe PA but I think the chances of the offense taking a step backwards are far greater than taking a step forward.

powderaddict
04-14-2009, 02:41 PM
Maybe PA but I think the chances of the offense taking a step backwards are far greater than taking a step forward.

It's possible, but I would attribute that more to learning the new scheme. I wouldn't be surprised to see some struggles early on, and getting much better as the season goes on.

I wouldn't expect them to gain more yards, but I do expect them to get more bang for the buck - more TOP, and most importantly, more points out of the yards they do get. If they could increase the TOP, this would greatly help the defense as well.

One thing the Broncos have that has produced much better than NE as of late is the O-line, and McD kept the coaches in charge of that on. He can integrate some of the things the Patriots do well on the O-line (pulling guards, etc) into place with what Denver has been doing with great success. He also is committed to the running game, something Denver has not been over the last couple of years.

Again, it's an absolutely fantastic series, it will really open your eyes on a lot of things :salute:

DenBronx
04-14-2009, 02:58 PM

all good articles...didnt finish all of it but i like what i read so far.

our redzone issues fall on the lack of having a solid rb. yeah we have always produced mainly by committee and that is a product of our zbs. but now with a new system/hybrid zbs i think it wont be as effective. josh isnt going to have the same kind of success that mike had with scrub rbs.

although....new england prefered to throw td's. :laugh:

powderaddict
04-14-2009, 03:03 PM
all good articles...didnt finish all of it but i like what i read so far.

our redzone issues fall on the lack of having a solid rb. yeah we have always produced mainly by committee and that is a product of our zbs. but now with a new system/hybrid zbs i think it wont be as effective. josh isnt going to have the same kind of success that mike had with scrub rbs.

although....new england prefered to throw td's. :laugh:

They've had pretty good success with the RB's in NE, and I wouldn't say any of NE's RB have been anything but scrubs.

DenBronx
04-14-2009, 03:08 PM
They've had pretty good success with the RB's in NE, and I wouldn't say any of NE's RB have been anything but scrubs.

no...but we have went after scrubs. i think its time to change that. even the pats go after 1st round rb's. maybe its time we find our own lt, lj, ap???? ive longed for a rb since portis.

Watchthemiddle
04-14-2009, 03:11 PM

Impressive and flashy is what Cutler was...however effective, efficient, and PATIENT he was not and never has been in his college or NFL career.

I think that was important to McDaniels and trading CUtler. You don't need a rocket arm in order to operate this offense. What you need is a brain, patience, and the willingness to take what the Defense gives you. Cutler has never been able to do any of those three. Give me a veteran QB who knows what it takes with a mediocre arm and we will win at minimum 10 games this year.

:coffee:

TXBRONC
04-14-2009, 03:12 PM
no...but we have went after scrubs. i think its time to change that. even the pats go after 1st round rb's. maybe its time we find our own lt, lj, ap???? ive longed for a rb since portis.

Maroney is only running back I know of that they have drafted in the first round since Billy Bob became their head coach.

underrated29
04-14-2009, 03:29 PM
Impressive and flashy is what Cutler was...however effective, efficient, and PATIENT he was not and never has been in his college or NFL career.

I think that was important to McDaniels and trading CUtler. You don't need a rocket arm in order to operate this offense. What you need is a brain, patience, and the willingness to take what the Defense gives you. Cutler has never been able to do any of those three. Give me a veteran QB who knows what it takes with a mediocre arm and we will win at minimum 10 games this year.

I strongly disagree here. I think in the games that we had balance. Rushing, recieving, and werent trying to play catch up, or cling to a lead. Jay did just that. Take what the defense gave him. The first few games of the season and many games last year would show that.....Of course he didnt do it all the time and was only in his 2nd year, but he could have easily adapted Mcd scheme to his game...

Now though we wont find out. Which of course sucks, but with kyle we do have exactly what you say. Someone who will play within the boundries and if he does that we can win. Which is a good thing.

Most importantly i see our points scored going up big time simply for the fact that we can run the football in the redzone this year.

TXBRONC
04-14-2009, 04:51 PM
I strongly disagree here. I think in the games that we had balance. Rushing, recieving, and werent trying to play catch up, or cling to a lead. Jay did just that. Take what the defense gave him. The first few games of the season and many games last year would show that.....Of course he didnt do it all the time and was only in his 2nd year, but he could have easily adapted Mcd scheme to his game...

Now though we wont find out. Which of course sucks, but with kyle we do have exactly what you say. Someone who will play within the boundries and if he does that we can win. Which is a good thing.

Most importantly i see our points scored going up big time simply for the fact that we can run the football in the redzone this year.

If the defense and the special teams come around we can win. Without that an average quarterback isn't to fair to well.

underrated29
04-14-2009, 04:53 PM
I am trying to stay positive here.

TXBRONC
04-14-2009, 04:58 PM
I am trying to stay positive here.

Me to, I don't want Denver to fail but I also know that without descent special teams and solid defense it's going to be hard to win games.

powderaddict
04-14-2009, 05:25 PM
Me to, I don't want Denver to fail but I also know that without descent special teams and solid defense it's going to be hard to win games.

If the offense is holding on to the ball longer, converting 1sts, getting consistant production from the running game, that will help all phases.

Of course, the other areas need to improve if Denver wants to be one of the elite teams of the AFC, but I'm excited to see what this offense can do.

I'm not expecting an overnight miracle, but there is basis for hope.

TXBRONC
04-14-2009, 05:39 PM
If the offense is holding on to the ball longer, converting 1sts, getting consistant production from the running game, that will help all phases.

Of course, the other areas need to improve if Denver wants to be one of the elite teams of the AFC, but I'm excited to see what this offense can do.

I'm not expecting an overnight miracle, but there is basis for hope.

Same here I'm not expecting miracles but I like to see us do better than what analysts are saying we will do.

Peerless
04-14-2009, 05:40 PM

Win games? Let's not give them that much credit.

How about hold a lead? :lol:

People will rag on Cutler and his interceptions until the day he retires.

But the situation he was in, on almost EVERY series he played... he HAD to throw the ball.

The defense last year was one of the sorriest things I've seen in my athletic life. They could not hold a grandmother from walking into the end zone.

Take that, and the poor field position... and the fact that the opposing defense KNEW that Cutler had to air it out to keep the teams head above water just to compete!

Now we downgraded the offense, specifically the QB position.. and we have hardly done crap to the utterly pathetic defense.

Watchthemiddle
04-14-2009, 05:44 PM

But the situation he was in, on almost EVERY series he played... he HAD to throw the ball.

The defense last year was one of the sorriest things I've seen in my athletic life. They could not hold a grandmother from walking into the end zone.

Take that, and the poor field position... and the fact that the opposing defense KNEW that Cutler had to air it out to keep the teams head above water just to compete!

Now we downgraded the offense, specifically the QB position.. and we have hardly done crap to the utterly pathetic defense.

Apologist

We still ran the ball pretty well.

Care to look up are YPC avg in the NFL?

Thanks

TXBRONC
04-14-2009, 05:45 PM

Holding a lead is the first step to winning games. ::D

Watchthemiddle
04-14-2009, 05:46 PM
Holding a lead is the first step to winning games. ::D

And it goes both ways...:D

3 and outs don't cut it....:D

:D:D

Peerless
04-14-2009, 05:55 PM
Apologist

Thanks

YPC is a flimsy stat. I could care less about that stat.

You ALL talk about how the offense isn't the #2 offense because we didn't put up the points... But do some of you realize that Peyton Hillis was our leader in touchdown runs? With 5?

And that was a span when we went 3-1... when the running game was actually ON with PH.

"OOohh the Denver Broncos were still 12th in rushing.." The 4.8 YPC is AMAZING!!! (Well.. Not one of our running backs had over 100 carries LOL)

Well... no, not really.

We only scored 90 points total from the running game the entire season (15 TD's). Remember, we put up 370 points total. That's 4.1 % of our offensive scoring.

When it came to running the ball in critical situations, the Denver running game failed. (Other than Pitt and Hillis who did a decent job). The critical third and 2, third and 1, usually ended up in a pass because our running game was so inconsistent.

There is a reason we had to air the ball out.

A: No defense, no special teams = Playing from behind

B: Hit or miss (mostly miss) running game with 7 RB's on IR.

Watchthemiddle
04-14-2009, 06:21 PM
YPC is a flimsy stat. I could care less about that stat.

You ALL talk about how the offense isn't the #2 offense because we didn't put up the points... But do some of you realize that Peyton Hillis was our leader in touchdown runs? With 5?

And that was a span when we went 3-1... when the running game was actually ON with PH.

"OOohh the Denver Broncos were still 12th in rushing.." The 4.8 YPC is AMAZING!!! (Well.. Not one of our running backs had over 100 carries LOL)

Well... no, not really.

We only scored 90 points total from the running game the entire season (15 TD's). Remember, we put up 370 points total. That's 4.1 % of our offensive scoring.

When it came to running the ball in critical situations, the Denver running game failed. (Other than Pitt and Hillis who did a decent job). The critical third and 2, third and 1, usually ended up in a pass because our running game was so inconsistent.

There is a reason we had to air the ball out.

A: No defense, no special teams = Playing from behind

B: Hit or miss (mostly miss) running game with 7 RB's on IR.

How many points did we avg in our loses?

15.5 ppg....in a lose

Thanks for playing, but if our offense isn't going to support our D when giving up 30, what can the defense do when the offense only scores 15 a game...with this "potent, high powered, Jay CUtler led Offense" ....and when the offense comes off with their "leader" Cutler hanging his head and crying when they go 3 and out...?

Thanks

WTM

Peerless
04-14-2009, 06:25 PM
How many points did we avg in our loses?

15.5 ppg....in a lose

Thanks for playing, but if our offense isn't going to support our D when giving up 30, what can the defense do when the offense only scores 15 a game...with this "potent, high powered, Jay CUtler led Offense" ....and when the offense comes off with their "leader" Cutler hanging his head and crying when they go 3 and out...?

Thanks

WTM

Nice reply on the YPC stat and the running game... It didn't hold any water, so I didn't expect you to reply about it. :lol:

How can any offense function right... when their D gives up 30? LOL

It's not even a QUESTION of what our defense can do. They couldn't do anything! :lol:

You make it sound like the defense kept Cutler and Co. in ball games, and it's Cutlers fault for the downfall of the season. :lol:

You can fault BOTH sides because both sides weren't perfect last year.

But as DJ Williams said it... The finger should be pointed at the D's side of the ball from their pathetic play.

Watchthemiddle
04-14-2009, 06:35 PM
Nice reply on the YPC stat and the running game... It didn't hold any water, so I didn't expect you to reply about it. :lol:

How can any offense function right... when their D gives up 30? LOL

It's not even a QUESTION of what our defense can do. They couldn't do anything! :lol:

You make it sound like the defense kept Cutler and Co. in ball games, and it's Cutlers fault for the downfall of the season. :lol:

You can fault BOTH sides because both sides weren't perfect last year.

But as DJ Williams said it... The finger should be pointed at the D's side of the ball from their pathetic play.

YPC was great...and on of the tops in the league but Shanny gave up on it..

Ya your right....:rolleyes:

All I ask is for someone to show what Cutler or our offense did as far as production goes on our 30+ lose games. TX was scared away....I guess everyone else is as well.

By the way....what was our YPC per game on the ground..? I only ask that because everyone says we had no running game. We also had a "high powered offense" as well ....but what was our PPG in our loses.....blaming the D on all of the D.

Thanks....again...what was our POINTS PER GAME in our loses....and what was our turnover ratio.....in those games...namely by Our God Cutler.

Thanks for playing....

Peerless
04-14-2009, 07:20 PM

LOL It's kind of hard stay with it, when every new week you have a new running back coming off the bench trying to get anything going for an average run game. But I guess that's a little too hard to understand in some peoples mind...

By the way....what was our YPC per game on the ground..? I only ask that because everyone says we had no running game. We also had a "high powered offense" as well ....but what was our PPG in our loses.....blaming the D on all of the D.

I told you. That epic rushing offense put up an amazing YPC of 4.8 yards... with 4.1% of our total offensive points in the season. Epic..:coffee:

All I ask is for someone to show what Cutler or our offense did as far as production goes on our 30+ lose games. TX was scared away....I guess everyone else is as well.

Thanks....again...what was our POINTS PER GAME in our loses....and what was our turnover ratio.....in those games...namely by Our God Cutler.

Cutler and the offense played bad. Does that mean.. the offense cost us the games or something?

Ravage!!!
04-14-2009, 09:11 PM

Let me guess.. you think that Cutler should have won MORE games when the opponents put up 30+ points..right? He should have done more? Hmmmm.. interesting.

I'm sure you've seen this, but I'm assuming you would be making the EXACT same comments to EVERy QB on this list, and these are some of the greatest to play the game mixed in with the top QBs of today (as well as a couple that are just well known commentators). I guess you just thought Jay should be better than they were.... after all, he's no longer a Denver QB, thus it makes sense to blame him. :laugh:

Tom Brady 5-8 (.384)
Jim Kelly 10-20 (.333)
Peyton Manning 9-25 (.265)
Joe Montana 6-17 (.261)
Kurt Warner 6-22 (.214)
Jay Cutler 3-13 (.188)
Steve Young 4-19 (.174)
Ben Roethlisberger 2-9 (.181)
Brett Favre 8-42 (.160)
Terry Bradshaw 4-20-1 (.160)
Donovan McNabb 3-16 (.158)
John Elway 7-41 (.146)
Dan Marino 7-52 (.119)
Phyllis Rivers 1-8 (.111)
Jake Plummer 4-37 (.098), 0-10 w/the Broncos
Troy Aikman 2-20 (.091)
Ron Jaworski 1-14 (.067)
Eli Manning 1-16 (.059)
Phil Simms 0-20 (.000)

15 games in the last 32 games had 30+ points scored against us. Thats just about every-other game played. Weird how we couldn't expect Jay to simply ABSOLUTELY crush the other teams when No other QB could either given the odds. Hmmm... strange how that works out.

Elevation inc
04-15-2009, 09:08 AM
Apologist

Thanks

wow........... YPC is like YPA for a QB it means nothing if you cant score....how many TD's did we get on the gorund?????

your right we ran well between the 20's its the redzone we decided to pass all the time....wait werent the cutler bashers knocking cutler for yds between just the 20's.....

perhaps we didnt run as great as your thanks and coffe smiley are implying.....

TXBRONC
04-15-2009, 09:12 AM

Thanks for playing....

No you're just not worth the bandwidth when you act like this. :coffee:

powderaddict
04-15-2009, 09:16 AM
90 points out of 370 is 24%, not 4.1.

And yes, the YPC stat is very misleading, defenses let the Broncos run the ball because they knew that Bates would abandon the run, which happened many time. The O-line did a great job blocking, especially as the season wore on (as demonstrated by Bell's success later in the year). Defenses did not key against the run, as it was not thought of as a real threat.

NE and McDaniels have shown a consistent commitment to the run. The O-line is there, the group of RB's is fairly solid and deep, and if nothing else Orton has shown he can be effective getting the ball to the RB's out of the backfield.

Again, NE's offense is built on substance, not flash. They don't get as many yards, but they turn the yards they do get into points at an astoundingly better rate than the Broncos have. And they've done so with an O-line that has not performed nearly as good as the Broncos O-line did last year, without a clear #1 RB, and with QB's that are not known for having super strong arms (but are smart, accurate, and safe with the football).

I'm glad to see a breakdown of McDaniels offense turn into another "Cutler is Great!"-"No, Cutler sucks" thread though :laugh::lol: