PDA

View Full Version : The Cost of Applying the Franchise Tag in 2007

Skinny
10-20-2007, 11:32 PM
Pretty interesting. I know right now we are not very rich in the salary cap department.
October 21, 2007

So what will it cost each team to designate a player with the Franchise Tag? The NFLPA has released the following numbers by position:

Quarterbacks: $12,615,000
Offensive linemen: $9,556,000
Defensive ends: $8,644,000
Wide receivers: $7,613,000
Cornerbacks: $7,790,000
Linebackers: $7,206,000
Running backs: $6,999,000
Defensive tackles: $6,775,000
Safeties: $4,490,000
Tight ends: $4,371,000
Punters and kickers: $2,078,000

Note that these numbers correspond with the immediate cap hit associated with designating a player with the Franchise Tag. The NFLPA has released the dollar amount associated with franchising each player by position.

http://www.askthecommish.com/articles/page.asp?pid=30

Can you see Mikey using the 'Franchise Tag' on anyone this year?? Anyone worth using it on??

broncosfanscott
10-21-2007, 01:42 AM
I could be wrong, yet I don't remember Shanny using the franchise tag lately.

broncofanatic1987
10-21-2007, 09:25 AM
I think it's rare for Shanahan to tag someone.

There's noone on the Broncos' roster worth tagging anyway.

In-com-plete
10-21-2007, 10:28 AM
I think Elam was the last one tagged. Back around '01 or '02.

Skinny
10-21-2007, 10:53 AM
I think Elam was the last one tagged. Back around '01 or '02.I knew it had been awhile. Was thinking maybe even later than that.

No one comes to my mind right now that it could or should be used on. Don't know if that's a good thing or a bad thing.

Simple Jaded
10-21-2007, 01:56 PM
Denver Broncos

Pos Player Name
FB Cecil Sapp UFA
WR Brandon Stokley UFA
TE Nate Jackson UFA
PK Jason Elam UFA <----This is surprising, seems like yesterday he signed as the highest paid kicker in the league.
P Todd Sauerbrun UFA
OG Martin Bibla UFA
OG Montrae Holland UFA <-----Already signed!
OG Chris Myers RFA
DL Ebenezer Ekuban UFA
DL Simeon Rice UFA
CB Dre' Bly UFA <----Already signed!
CB Domonique Foxworth RFA
CB Karl Paymah RFA
SS Brandon Browner RFA <-----Wasting away in Canada!
SS Curome Cox RFA
SS Nick Ferguson UFA
FS Hamza Abdullah RFA

http://www.kffl.com/static/nfl/features/freeagents/fa.php?option=By+Team&y=2008

You tell me if there is anyone worth franchising....Not sure if I completely trust the info here....

Simple Jaded
10-21-2007, 01:58 PM
I knew it had been awhile. Was thinking maybe even later than that.

No one comes to my mind right now that it could or should be used on. Don't know if that's a good thing or a bad thing.

Elam and Atwater are the only two Franchised players that even come to mind....Although they do threaten to use the tag in negotiations (Al Wilson)....

Skinny
10-21-2007, 02:50 PM
Elam and Atwater are the only two Franchised players that even come to mind....Although they do threaten to use the tag in negotiations (Al Wilson)....Yeah . . . definitely Atwater. That's the last guy i could remember.

Originally Posted by Link
Denver Broncos

Pos Player Name
OG Chris Myers RFA
CB Domonique Foxworth RFA

http://www.kffl.com/static/nfl/featu...By+Team&y=2008

You tell me if there is anyone worth franchising....Not sure if I completely trust the info here....

Thanks for the Link . . . Link.

If this info is true . . . those are 2 players i would consider using the tag on. But looking at it with the price tag beside it . . .

Pos Player Name
OG Chris Myers RFA . . . . Offensive linemen: $9,556,000
CB Domonique Foxworth RFA . . . Safeties: $4,490,000 / Cornerbacks: $7,790,000

I just can't and don't see it, that's just me.

Myers will get his chance to earn his next contract with the rest of this season to start at Center. Considering the situation with Nalen and Hamilton it's worth looking into, but, at 9 mill??

Same situation with Foxworth. Bates speaks highly of his ability to play diffrent roles in the secondary. He's filled everywhere needed at Corner and Safety and is young. Lynch and Fergy are in the twilight of their careers.

I'm not saying mikey & Co. are going to tag these guys but re-signing them is something that should definitely be in the cards.

Hopefully we don't have to use the tag on anyone.

Requiem / The Dagda
10-21-2007, 02:53 PM
You don't have to franchise Foxworth or Myers because they are RFA's.

Skinny
10-21-2007, 03:03 PM
You don't have to franchise Foxworth or Myers because they are RFA's.Good lookin dream . . . slipped my mind.

Requiem / The Dagda
10-21-2007, 03:12 PM
Good lookin dream . . . slipped my mind.

I'm wondering if the Broncos are going to try and retain Foxworth though. Even though he's been beat several occasions this season, he could still be a #2 CB on a team who is in desperate need of one. Denver will likely tender him high enough that nobody would be interested in taking him, but it's a possibility someone may be in the market for him if the price is right.

The best thing about Myers is that we have a potential long-term starter for another 5-6 years and he'll resign for dirt cheap. Denver will definitely keep Chris.

Simple Jaded
10-21-2007, 05:05 PM
I'm wondering if the Broncos are going to try and retain Foxworth though. Even though he's been beat several occasions this season, he could still be a #2 CB on a team who is in desperate need of one. Denver will likely tender him high enough that nobody would be interested in taking him, but it's a possibility someone may be in the market for him if the price is right.

The best thing about Myers is that we have a potential long-term starter for another 5-6 years and he'll resign for dirt cheap. Denver will definitely keep Chris.

Dream, I don't know about you, but I hope Foxworth starts playing well...Denver gives him the highest tender offer....and are able to get something/anything in a trade.

CB is one of the few positions with any kind of depth, and you have to give something to get something.....

Btw, I also hope to win the lottery....