PDA

View Full Version : Greatest picks of all time 1-32; Elway #1

Italianmobstr7
04-12-2009, 11:44 PM
http://www.nfl.com/draft/story?id=09000d5d80f92ef0&template=without-video-with-comments&confirm=true

Ultimate draft: Round 1
Pick 1.
Player John Elway
Pos. QB
Team Baltimore Colts
Year 1983
School Stanford

Known for ... going out on top, winning Super Bowls XXXII and XXXIII in his final two seasons.

Analysis: While a number of players received votes to be the all-time pick at this spot, Elway was the clear choice. Elway never played a down for the Colts, instead forcing a trade to the Broncos. In Denver, Elway became one of the NFL's most feared quarterbacks, leading a league-record 47 fourth-quarter game-winning or game-tying drives. The most famous of those came in the 1986 AFC Championship Game at Cleveland, where Elway led a 98-yard drive to force overtime. The Broncos went on to win the game, and Elway's reputation as a late-game performer was set.

Also receiving votes: Peyton Manning, Indianapolis Colts, 1998; Bruce Smith, Buffalo Bills, 1985; Earl Campbell, Houston Oilers, 1978; Terry Bradshaw, Pittsburgh Steelers, 1970; Chuck Bednarik, Philadelphia Eagles, 1949.

Others under consideration: Troy Aikman, Dallas Cowboys, 1989; Lee Roy Selmon, Tampa Bay Buccaneers, 1976; Ron Yary, Minnesota Vikings, 1968; Buck Buchanan, Dallas Texans, 1963; Paul Hornung, Green Bay Packers, 1957; Charley Trippi, Chicago Cardinals 1945; "Bullet" Bill Dudley, Pittsburgh Steelers, 1942.

Dirk
04-13-2009, 05:55 AM
Outside of his "I won't play for the Colts" fit that he threw (boy am I ever greatful that he did! :salute: ), I would definately agree with him being at the top of that list! :beer:

Denver27og
04-13-2009, 03:11 PM
Outside of his "I won't play for the Colts" fit that he threw (boy am I ever greatful that he did! :salute: ), I would definately agree with him being at the top of that list! :beer:

one day in the future... a bears fan wil probably be saying the same thing about jay cutler..

sorry i had to do it

Denver Native (Carol)
04-13-2009, 07:17 PM
http://www.nfl.com/draft/story?id=09000d5d80f92ef0&template=without-video-with-comments&confirm=true

"While the World Wide Web is pelted with projections of who will go where in the 2009 NFL Draft, we've decided to do something a little different.

NFL.com has selected the best players ever drafted with picks 1 through 32.

An ultimate mock draft, if you will.

In order to determine those ultimate draft picks, NFL.com's Gil Brandt, Vic Carucci, Thomas George and Steve Wyche, eight members of the NFL.com editorial staff, and Joe Horrigan and Pete Fierle from the Pro Football Hall of Fame voted on the selections.

Some of the picks were easy. Others, not so much. Among the most difficult picks came at No. 3 (where all-time greats Barry Sanders and Dick Butkus went head-to-head), No. 10 (where Rod Woodson barely beat Marcus Allen), No. 12 (where old school beat new school) and No. 25 (where not one Hall of Famer has been drafted).

Of course, the No. 1 pick is up for debate, as many tremendous players have been selected at the top of the draft."

You can see who they picked #1 - #32 - BUT, I will tell you that they picked #7 - John Elway as #1 :salute: :salute:

MOtorboat
04-13-2009, 07:25 PM
First comment:

The 1st Pick on the list, Elway, is bogus. Bradshaw was a better quarterback than Elway, and won twice as many superbowls as Elway. But of course Bradshaw did not lose as many superbowls as Elway, and he didn't get his team behind near the end of the game because Bradshaw played better throughout the game than Elway. I think the media voted for Elway because they are in love with their own hype. Elway was hyped even before he was drafted, and continued to be hyped during his first many poor years at quarterback. Then Elway was hyped because of his Sage Rosenfels impression in the superbowl. Elway's selection is phoney balogna and based on media hype not performance.

What an idiot.

Denver Native (Carol)
04-13-2009, 07:29 PM
First comment:

What an idiot.

Yeah, but that comment was by a poster - not one who voted or matters :D

scott.475
04-13-2009, 08:26 PM
Maybe I am being too picky, and I love John as much as anyone, but can a player who never played a single down for the team that drafted him really be considered a #1 draft pick ever? Just seems not right to me somehow. Something like "Top Draft Day Steals" would seem more appropriate, but I am really tired and not feeling good, so maybe I am a bit punchy right now.

MOtorboat
04-13-2009, 08:28 PM
Maybe I am being too picky, and I love John as much as anyone, but can a player who never played a single down for the team that drafted him really be considered a #1 draft pick ever? Just seems not right to me somehow. Something like "Top Draft Day Steals" would seem more appropriate, but I am really tired and not feeling good, so maybe I am a bit punchy right now.

I think the idea of it was taking the best player drafted at that slot in the draft. Elway, regardless of who he played for, was taken No. 1. With that said, if it was Best Draft Choice at every slot, Elway would not be No. 1, because the Colts' choice to take him ended up being poor.

Italianmobstr7
04-13-2009, 08:35 PM
I posted this yesterday. :bounce:

http://www.broncosforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=37204

Lonestar
04-13-2009, 08:42 PM
merged with Carols

broncfn90
04-13-2009, 08:49 PM
i dont know man... elway number 1... I would say top 5 but ya

MOtorboat
04-13-2009, 08:58 PM
i dont know man... elway number 1... I would say top 5 but ya

:tsk:

He was the best No. 1 pick overall.

The premise of the list is that they took the best player drafted at that slot in the draft.

:noidea:

Dean
04-13-2009, 10:16 PM
:tsk:

He was the best No. 1 pick overall.

The premise of the list is that they took the best player drafted at that slot in the draft.

:noidea:

Type sloooowwwlllyyy. Some are just catching up.;)

Broncolingus
04-13-2009, 10:31 PM
Elway...easily the top (best) choice for this premise.

To say (or think) otherwise is moronic...

omac
04-14-2009, 01:05 AM
Funny that Bradshaw isn't as mentioned as the best as he used to be; he did win 4 Superbowls in 6 seasons, and led the Steelers to 8 AFC Central championships.

Not saying Bradshaw is better; just pointing out the fact that the argument against Elway and for Bradshaw before was that Bradshaw won the superbowls he got to.

Shazam!
04-14-2009, 01:25 AM
The Denver Broncos will never win a Super Bowl with John Elway at QB.

Is Elway a great QB? No. A good one. To be the best you have to reach the pinnacle, which for a QB is winning the Super Bowl. Elway hasn't reached that level.

Bradshaw hates Elway. Always has. Jealous of his hair, his money, his golf handicap, his on-field ability... Shall I continue?

It was also like rubbing **** in his face at the Super Bowl 33 presentation, with Bradshaw's chrome dome with Elway at the podium. Elway knew he hated his guts, and to him it was like "Now shut the **** up." Sweet redemption in more ways than one in his final two seasons, silencing his harshest critics (Bradshaw, Long, JJ, etc.), beating another future HoF in Farve, and winning with a team that was considered to be the ultimate losers and choke artists in the NFL other than the Buffalo Bills, Denver.

Elway>Bradshaw

omac
04-14-2009, 01:57 AM
Bradshaw hates Elway. Always has. Jealous of his hair, his money, his golf handicap, his on-field ability... Shall I continue?

It was also like rubbing **** in his face at the Super Bowl 33 presentation, with Bradshaw's chrome dome with Elway at the podium. Elway knew he hated his guts, and to him it was like "Now shut the **** up." Sweet redemption in more ways than one in his final two seasons, silencing his harshest critics (Bradshaw, Long, JJ, etc.), beating another future HoF in Farve, and winning with a team that was considered to be the ultimate losers and choke artists in the NFL other than the Buffalo Bills, Denver.

Elway>Bradshaw

No argument about Bradshaw hating Elway; that was obvious, and I was pissed off about the comments he made. What I am saying is the counterpoints before, even before Elway got his 2 superbowls (and even after), was that Bradshaw was the better QB because he won more superbowls than Elway. Elway could have all the records, but Bradshaw won 4 superbowls, and thus was better.

I don't agree with that thinking, but a lot of people saw it that way then and still see it that way now.

Dirk
04-14-2009, 05:46 AM
You gotta remember Omac, The Steelers won those superbowls in spite of Bradshaw.

They had one of the best defenses of all time. Also, Bradshaw's passes always looked like lame ducks and Swann and company would go up and take the ball. He also had a very good running back tandum.

Bradshaw is not even in the top 15 of all time QBs. He was extremely lucky to be on the team that he was. It is kind of like Big Ben now. He is lucky he has the defenses he does because he is overrated to some degree.

omac
04-14-2009, 07:32 AM
You gotta remember Omac, The Steelers won those superbowls in spite of Bradshaw.

They had one of the best defenses of all time. Also, Bradshaw's passes always looked like lame ducks and Swann and company would go up and take the ball. He also had a very good running back tandum.

Bradshaw is not even in the top 15 of all time QBs. He was extremely lucky to be on the team that he was. It is kind of like Big Ben now. He is lucky he has the defenses he does because he is overrated to some degree.

Hey man, I totally agree with you. :cheers:

But like I said, some people will still choose Bradshaw as the better QB, because he was the QB for those 4 superbowl wins, while Elway was the QB of 3 superbowl losses, and 2 superbowl wins.

It's a similar reasoning for not crediting Dan Marino as a great QB, despite him basically being the engine of the Dolphins year after year, and the same reason Jim Kelly doesn't get enough respect. Imagine, Jim Kelly couldn't "win" a superbowl, despite putting his kicker in a position to win it for them. Isn't that how Brady "won" one of his superbowls? :beer:

Dirk
04-14-2009, 07:46 AM
I see where you are coming from now. It's all perception on the part of people that don't look at the big picture and put the tag "winning QB" on someone when it suits their theory of a winning QB. :beer:

Poor Jim Kelly! One of my favorite QBs. I loved watching that hurry up offense. Too bad Marv Levy abandoned what got them there once he made it to the SB. Why would you abandon the "hurry up" and go conservative when it wasn't what you did well?

I think if they would have been true to themselves, Kelly would have 4 SB rings. :coffee:

omac
04-14-2009, 08:07 AM
I see where you are coming from now. It's all perception on the part of people that don't look at the big picture and put the tag "winning QB" on someone when it suits their theory of a winning QB. :beer:

Poor Jim Kelly! One of my favorite QBs. I loved watching that hurry up offense. Too bad Marv Levy abandoned what got them there once he made it to the SB. Why would you abandon the "hurry up" and go conservative when it wasn't what you did well?

I think if they would have been true to themselves, Kelly would have 4 SB rings. :coffee:

At the very worst case, Kelly should've at least had one. Well, the Colts learned their lesson and got Vinateri, just in case. :D