PDA

View Full Version : Sporting News' Mock of Denver ....

omac
04-12-2009, 03:19 AM
http://www.sportingnews.com/nfl/draft/mock_draft

1-12 (12) Denver Rey Maualuga ILB USC
NFL comparison: Ray Lewis, Ravens. Maualuga is violent and aggressive, playing with the attitude Lewis brings to the field. Like Lewis, Maualuga can lead his defense for many years.

1-18 (18) Denver Evander 'Ziggy' Hood DT Missouri
NFL comparison: Aaron Smith, Steelers. Hood is athletic, has long arms, is smart and is a fierce competitor, which makes him an ideal 3-4 defensive end.

2-16 (48) Denver Tyson Jackson DE LSU
NFL comparison: Anthony Weaver, free agent. Jackson, like Weaver, does not grab attention with tons of play-making production, but he is strong and consistent against blockers and can dictate what goes on along the line of scrimmage on his side.

3-15 (79) Denver Lardarius Webb S Nicholls State
NFL comparison: Gerald Alexander, Lions. Webb is a bona fide difference-maker, both as a defensive back and a return man. On defense, he is at his best in bump-and-run coverage, where he reroutes receivers off the line. Webb shows top-flight ball skills, and once he intercepts the ball always is looking to score -- and succeeds quite often.

3-20 (84) Denver Derrick Williams WR Penn State
NFL comparison: Santana Moss, Redskins. He is a versatile player whose open-field running ability makes him a threat to break off for a touchdown whenever the ball is in his hands, and he will be an impact player as a jack-of-all-trades in the NFL.

4-14 (114) Denver Terrance Taylor DT Michigan
Taylor is highly regarded, but his lack of height definitely hinders his production. He shows the quickness and athleticism NFL teams covet but must improve his technique, competitiveness and aggressiveness.

5-13 (149) Denver Rhett Bomar QB Sam Houston State
NFL comparison: Matt Schaub, Texans. Bomar is a competitive player who leads by words and example. He's both physically and mentally tough, and he has the temperament to be a starter in the NFL.

6-12 (185) Denver Glover Quin CB New Mexico
He may not be the best athlete at his position, but he compensates with his toughness and intelligence. Quin is best suited to play in a zone coverage scheme that will help hide his marginal speed. He projects as a solid No. 3 or nickel cornerback.

7-16 (225) Denver Matt Shaughnessy DE Wisconsin
Shaughnessy has a chance to become a quality pro but will need more seasoning and will have to add weight, which is why he will drop some on draft boards.

26 (235) Denver Rich Ohrnberger G Penn State
Although Ohrnberger lacks the athleticism NFL teams prefer at guard, he has enough talent to get by as a solid backup and spot starter if he learns to play with better balance and keep his feet moving after initial contact.

An ILB, lots of 3-4 DE types, an OLB type (I think), WR, QB, G. No true NT.

Seems pretty good. Guess he's projecting Bomar to be the QB McDaniels mentors, while Derrick Williams will either eventually push Gaffney out, or will be future insurance if Marshall continues to get suspended. The developmental guard could probably be Hamilton's future replacement.

Shazam!
04-12-2009, 03:38 AM
Fills all the D needs and a late round QB not named Sanchez... Sounds good to me.

omac
04-12-2009, 05:10 AM
Fills all the D needs and a late round QB not named Sanchez... Sounds good to me.

Well, almost all; NT isn't really addressed, but at least he's not reaching for one. I also thought WR in the 3rd is a bit of a luxury pick; I think we need a solid RB more than another WR. Other than that, looks good to me too.

dogfish
04-12-2009, 05:57 AM
not very realstic, IMO. . . . hood is a one-gapper, a three-tech-- not a five-tech. . . . and tyson jackson will be looooon gone by 48. . . . and where's the pass rush? no thanks. . . .

omac
04-12-2009, 06:44 AM
not very realstic, IMO. . . . hood is a one-gapper, a three-tech-- not a five-tech. . . . and tyson jackson will be looooon gone by 48. . . . and where's the pass rush? no thanks. . . .

You're right, other drafts have Jackson going at 13 or 18 or such; how he reaches 48, who knows?

jrelway
04-12-2009, 09:59 AM
seriously, tyson jackson at #48?

slim
04-12-2009, 10:01 AM
Hood at 18 and Jackson at 48 :noidea:

elsid13
04-12-2009, 10:02 AM
sporting news continues to have the worse mock in the world. Remember the Rambo Yo-Yo (WR) first rounder for Denver? When the guy went last 10 picks of the 7th round,

broncobryce
04-12-2009, 12:37 PM
Hood at 18 and Jackson at 48 :noidea:

Yes. And then we will take Stafford in the 7th round, and Ian Johnson in the 2nd.

SmilinAssasSin27
04-12-2009, 12:48 PM
excrement

honz
04-12-2009, 01:02 PM
This mock fails miserably. Somebody got paid to write this? Sign me up!

SR
04-12-2009, 02:39 PM
One of the worst mock drafts I've seen.

DenBronx
04-12-2009, 04:08 PM
I tweaked his mock a little. The ones in Red I kept but changed their draft order to where I think we would pick them. Still doesn't answer pass rush but did I mention we're dealing next years #1 for Peppers? :D

And I love Rhett Bomar in the 5th! This guy might be someone that McD can develop and turn into the next Brady or Cassel. The Patriots love late round QB's much like we used to go after late round RB's and turn them into something.

1-12 (12) BJ Raji, DT (Best DT in this years draft)
1-18 (18) Rey Maualuga, ILB (Would bring attitude)
2-16 (48) Patrick Chung, S (Can lay the wood)
3-15 (79) Shonn Green, RB (Gets tough yards)
3-20 (84) Derrick Williams WR (Good route runner, quick, knows a spread offense)
4-14 (114) Terrance Taylor DT (Security)
5-13 (149) Rhett Bomar QB (Future)
6-12 (185) Lawrence Sidbury, DE (Ran one of the fastest 40's at the combine)
7-16 (225) Brandon Brinkley, DB (Good all around DB.)
7-26 (235) Rich Ohrnberger G (Good backup)