PDA

View Full Version : Josh Freeman To The Broncos At 12??

OrangeHoof
04-11-2009, 01:40 PM
That's what Rick Gosselin of the Dallas Morning News thinks:

DMN Link (http://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcontent/dws/spt/football/nfl/stories/041109dnspomockdraft.24fa77e.html)

He also has us taking Peria Jerry with the 18th pick (anytime I see that name, I think they have the first and surnames backwards).

Gosselin has a reputation for having very good first-round mocks the last day or so before the draft but his earlier mocks seem weird and this one's no different.

First, I don't think the Broncos plan on drafting a QB early. I think they want to have time to develop Orton and Simms before hitting the panic button with an early QB who will just sit there and suck up salary cap dollars when we have two competant veterans already in camp. Perhaps a second-day QB could be taken and developed but if the plan was to get a guy the first day, i don't think we'd have had interest in Orton.

Secondly, Josh Freeman is more of an athlete than a QB. If the Broncos' grand scheme was to draft Josh Freeman, they should have traded Cutler to the Redskins for Jason Campbell and picks because you'd get about the same with Campbell as you would with Freeman. Both have tools but lack polish. I don't think that's what the McDaniels system is all about. He wants someone who will read the D and put the ball in exactly the right spot 95% of the time. He apparently doesn't mind if they lack a bit of arm strength or running skill so long as they are accurate throwers. To steal a baseball analogy, McDaniels would rather have a pitcher with an 88 mph fastball who always hits the target than a pitcher with a 100 mph fastball that struggles with control.

I personally hope the Broncos draft defense, defense and more defense because that's what sucked last year and where the needs are. On top of that, they need bodies who fit a 3-4 defense instead of a 4-3 and that means everyone in the front seven needs to bring different skill sets than guys who are drafted for a 4-3. The LBs need to be bigger, the DEs need to be bigger and the NT needs to be a 330-lb fire hydrant that nobody can push out of the way. Your penetration comes from the OLBs, not the DEs so they have to be strong enough to stand up at the point of attack yet fast enough to pursue in the open field.

I can possibly see drafting a back like Moreno so that there is one bellcow in the backfield but the Patriots rarely let one back carry the load so I'm not sure the new regime would pick one early. Otherwise, the offense can adapt with the pieces they already have.

bullis26
04-11-2009, 01:44 PM
both would be bad picks....jerry is a 4-3 tackle

UnderArmour
04-11-2009, 01:44 PM
I prefer Patrick White more as a quarterback prospect than Josh Freeman. No thanks.

bullis26
04-11-2009, 01:48 PM
i don't want any of those 1st round QB's this year

Broncolingus
04-11-2009, 01:57 PM
If Denver really wants a QB, methinks 2010 would be a much better 'choice' of potential QBs...

Lets get the #1 problem - for many, many years now - fixed...Defensive Line.

Some good prospects out there and passes the common sense test...

JMO...

MOtorboat
04-11-2009, 01:58 PM
Oh my.

dogfish
04-11-2009, 02:05 PM
come on now. . . . :rolleyes:

Magnificent Seven
04-11-2009, 02:21 PM
Nah!

Stafford is my choice.

Foochacho
04-11-2009, 02:25 PM
All these analysts predicting a qb in round 1 are retarded. Jay wouldn't be in chicago right now if we planned on drafting a first round qb. It makes no sense at all.

Lonestar
04-11-2009, 02:28 PM
If Denver really wants a QB, methinks 2010 would be a much better 'choice' of potential QBs...

Lets get the #1 problem - for many, many years now - fixed...Defensive Line.

Some good prospects out there and passes the common sense test...

JMO...

You also have to realize that NE develops low round QB into their system opposed to drafting high and hoping they will work..

like mikey was with RB's, NE is with QB's I see no reason for them to change their MO. on this..

turftoad
04-11-2009, 02:37 PM
You also have to realize that NE develops low round QB into their system opposed to drafting high and hoping they will work..

like mikey was with RB's, NE is with QB's I see no reason for them to change their MO. on this..

Hmmmm. I didn't realize we were New England. :confused:

nj10
04-11-2009, 02:38 PM

Graham Harrell?

turftoad
04-11-2009, 02:39 PM
Graham Harrell?

Hey little buddy. Good to see you. Hows it going?

Lonestar
04-11-2009, 02:42 PM
Hmmmm. I didn't realize we were New England. :confused:

many a and I think including you have called us the NE Broncos or NE West..

If your HC is from NE. Is it no conceivable to think he is going to install NE's offense or did you like a few other expect him to keep mikeys failed play book..:laugh::laugh::laugh:

nj10
04-11-2009, 02:43 PM
Hey little buddy. Good to see you. Hows it going?

Pretty good. Looking forward to the draft and saving my pennies for the Broncos v. Cowboys game next season.

turftoad
04-11-2009, 02:43 PM
Pretty good. Looking forward to the draft and saving my pennies for the Broncos v. Cowboys game next season.

:beer:

nj10
04-11-2009, 02:45 PM
many a and I think including you have called us the NE Broncos or NE West..

If your HC is from NE. Is it no conceivable to think he is going to install NE's offense or did you like a few other expect him to keep mikeys failed play book..:laugh::laugh::laugh:

Mike's playbook was hardly the problem...The fact that outside of our two constantly injured superstars (DJ, Champ) our defense has about as much skill as a high school team, yet far less motivation...that was the failure.

ikillz0mbies
04-11-2009, 03:26 PM
No...no...NO to Josh Freeman!

Lonestar
04-11-2009, 03:35 PM
Mike's playbook was hardly the problem...The fact that outside of our two constantly injured superstars (DJ, Champ) our defense has about as much skill as a high school team, yet far less motivation...that was the failure.

did mikey playbook that was BTW supposedly expanded in 2007 win us more than 50% of the games?

what was our record? if we lost more than we won the play book failed.. pretty simple.. when the chips were down this team failed..

ikillz0mbies
04-11-2009, 03:57 PM
did mikey playbook that was BTW supposedly expanded in 2007 win us more than 50% of the games?

what was our record? if we lost more than we won the play book failed.. pretty simple.. when the chips were down this team failed..

Don't forget those bubble screens that they always ran. Those were always a success and got the Broncos tons of wins.

....Wait, they weren't? You mean the opposing defense pretty much saw the bubble screen every play and stop them on short yardage?

silkamilkamonico
04-11-2009, 03:58 PM
When did Jason Campbell version 2.0 reach a first round grade?

ikillz0mbies
04-11-2009, 04:01 PM
When did Jason Campbell version 2.0 reach a first round grade?

He is a 1st rounder on a lot of mock drafts. The team that I've seen him go to the most are the Jets. But pretty much, because of his highly impressive pro day to go along with his athleticism, he is pretty much a 1st round lock (according to most experts anyway). I'm not sold on him, mainly for the fact that he was one of the more inconsistent QB's I've seen play this past year.

Buff
04-11-2009, 04:03 PM
I'd rather sign Byron Leftwich than draft Josh effing Freeman.

MOtorboat
04-11-2009, 04:05 PM
I'd rather sign Byron Leftwich than draft Josh effing Freeman.

I will join the "Fire Josh McDaniels" clan if we draft Freeman in the first round.

I don't want him as a Bronco, per se, and most reports have him not being all that intelligent of a quarterback (and McDaniels' says he wants very intelligent quarterbacks), but if he got him in the fourth round, I wouldn't have a problem with it. But, the first round. Pick 12. That's just stupid.

nj10
04-11-2009, 04:40 PM
the play book failed...this team failed..

Well which was it??? The personnel? or the playbook? You do understand they are two seperate things?

DenBronx
04-11-2009, 04:47 PM
I will join the "Fire Josh McDaniels" clan if we draft Freeman in the first round.

cmon mo you know its long over due.

im sure he's not dumb enough to draft a qb in the first.

Nomad
04-11-2009, 04:53 PM
No...no...NO to Josh Freeman!

True! I'd spit fire if it were to happen, but I'm optimistic drafting him doesn't!!

slim
04-11-2009, 05:04 PM
:championship:

SmilinAssasSin27
04-11-2009, 05:10 PM
I think we should take Eugene Monroe and Oher w/ our first 2 picks.

honz
04-11-2009, 05:57 PM
I think we should take Eugene Monroe and Oher w/ our first 2 picks.

I like this. We can slide Harris inside and then Clady can take over at Center once Weigman is gone.

Superchop 7
04-11-2009, 07:18 PM
I like Josh Freeman.

He is 2nd round talent though. (physical tools are great.....but.....he needs alot of work on the rest of his game)

And yes, a QB hungry team will probably reach for him in the 1st.

Put him in before he is ready.

And ruin the guy.

To me, he is a 2nd round guy that if he were available in the 2nd, I would be tempted to pull the trigger.

That being said.

The guy that makes me go wow is Pat White, but I'm not sure he is NFL caliber, a more accurate version of Kordell Stewart but he is a couple of inches shorter than I like. Extremely exciting player to watch, the kind that makes you hope the play breaks down, the type of QB that would keep the defense honest and probably require a spy.

But, he is risky.......real risky.

Peerless
04-11-2009, 10:04 PM
Drafting Josh Freeman with one of our first round picks would be one of the most idiotic things ever...

But then again, so was trying to trade Jay Cutler...

So anything can happen!

getlynched47
04-11-2009, 10:06 PM
Drafting Josh Freeman with one of our first round picks would be one of the most idiotic things ever...

So anything can happen!

That would be McDaniels epic fail #2.

Peerless
04-11-2009, 10:09 PM
What the hell are these high five things?

Ravage!!!
04-11-2009, 10:11 PM

Don' tknow.. I think they are like 'quick' CPs... no messages.. i don't think they give any points.. but I can high five you and it shows up in your CP list.... like a 'quasi-CP'....??

getlynched47
04-11-2009, 10:12 PM

A CP that does nothing.

Lonestar
04-11-2009, 10:12 PM

a way to agree with someone without making a post to say great post.

we also have Mile High salutes if you want to make it private message wise .. much like a CP on mania.

Peerless
04-11-2009, 10:13 PM
Nice, I like that.

Ravage!!!
04-11-2009, 10:13 PM

So anything can happen!

Using a pick on Josh Freeman in the first round like that would be absolutely the WORST draft pick of the ENTIRE draft. Not only have we been the laughing stock for trading away Cutler.. but this would absolutely put the icing on the cake and make us a house-hold word for "moron."

slim
04-11-2009, 11:43 PM
Using a pick on Josh Freeman in the first round like that would be absolutely the WORST draft pick of the ENTIRE draft. Not only have we been the laughing stock for trading away Cutler.. but this would absolutely put the icing on the cake and make us a house-hold word for "moron."

Household is one word, FYI.

You are now the laughing stock of the forums and clearly the WORST pick of the ENTIRE lot.

Ravage!!!
04-11-2009, 11:55 PM
Household is one word, FYI.

You are now the laughing stock of the forums and clearly the WORST pick of the ENTIRE lot.

Wow. Whatever would I have done without you pointing out that household is one word? :laugh: Thank you for your thoughtfulness. I can tell, by your brilliant posting, that you are one of the most beloved posters here. I find it to be an absolute honor to have you, you of ALL people, to correct my over hyphenated words. Thank you. Thank you for being YOU!

Maybe... maybe if I try REALLY REALLY hard, I can someday ... SOME DAY (separated on purpose) be as good as you are at correcting misspelled words, improper grammar and sentence structure.

I realize its a lofty goal, but I know with YOUR help, its only a matter of time. Thank you. Thank you for being here for all of us, slim :beer:

honz
04-12-2009, 12:01 AM
Wow. Whatever would I have done without you pointing out that household is one word? :laugh: Thank you for your thoughtfulness. I can tell, by your brilliant posting, that you are one of the most beloved posters here. I find it to be an absolute honor to have you, you of ALL people, to correct my over hyphenated words. Thank you. Thank you for being YOU!

Maybe... maybe if I try REALLY REALLY hard, I can someday ... SOME DAY (separated on purpose) be as good as you are at correcting misspelled words, improper grammar and sentence structure.

I realize its a lofty goal, but I know with YOUR help, its only a matter of time. Thank you. Thank you for being here for all of us, slim :beer:

There should probably be a comma between "REALLY REALLY". Also, there should be another comma after "improper grammar" after this run-on sentence: "Maybe... maybe if I try REALLY REALLY hard, I can someday ... SOME DAY (separated on purpose) be as good as you are at correcting misspelled words, improper grammar and sentence structure."

You are welcome.

:D;)

slim
04-12-2009, 12:01 AM

You are welcome.

slim
04-12-2009, 12:02 AM
There should probably be a comma between "REALLY REALLY". Also, there should be another comma after "improper grammar" after this run-on sentence: "Maybe... maybe if I try REALLY REALLY hard, I can someday ... SOME DAY (separated on purpose) be as good as you are at correcting misspelled words, improper grammar and sentence structure."

You are welcome.

It is useless...this guy has claymore written all over him (only without the charm).

Ravage!!!
04-12-2009, 12:03 AM

You are welcome.

actually.. the comma that you suggest I should put after 'improper grammar'...doesn't have to be ther because its followed by the word 'and'.. thus, that comma is optional.

but I'll try harder to get the rest right. I know how proper grammar is very important around here.

slim
04-12-2009, 12:11 AM
actually.. the comma that you suggest I should put after 'improper grammar'...doesn't have to be ther because its followed by the word 'and'.. thus, that comma is optional.

but I'll try harder to get the rest right. I know how proper grammar is very important around here.

You clearly aren't trying very hard. I believe the first word in a sentence should always be capitalized. Also, I don't think "ther" is a word....at least not in English.

Don't feel bad...communication on a message board is difficult and can take a bit of "getting used to". Hang in there. I think with a few years of school and practice you will do just fine.

Ravage!!!
04-12-2009, 12:15 AM
You clearly aren't trying very hard. I believe the first word in a sentence should always be capitalized. Also, I don't think "ther" is a word....at least not in English.

Don't feel bad...communication on a message board is difficult and can take a bit of "getting used to". Hang in there. I think with a few years of school and practice you will do just fine.

Thanks, slim. Coming from an obviously educated individual as yourself, I know that if I just apply myself, I can compare myself to you...say... just after breakfast tomorrow morning.

Night.. cutie. :laugh:

CrazyHorse
04-12-2009, 12:34 AM
I like this. We can slide Harris inside and then Clady can take over at Center once Weigman is gone.

Best offensive line in football right there.

dogfish
04-12-2009, 12:37 AM
FFS!

geez, chill fellas. . . .

Lonestar
04-12-2009, 02:32 AM
There is a grammar 101 over at BC..;)

Folks it is a message board afterall..

time to lighten up on a refugee..

afterall we all were once upon a time..

now maybe

:focus:

omac
04-12-2009, 07:25 AM
Here's my guess on which QB McDaniels will get: Graham Harrell ...

http://www.draftcountdown.com/scoutingreports/qb/Graham-Harrell.php

A "system QB" who played in a spread offense at Texas Tech, who holds the NCAA record for most number of 300 and 400 yard games. Pass happy McDaniels offense, this is the guy. And McDaniels can probably get him in the mid or later rounds, so he has time to develop, like Cassel. High football IQ, quick delivery, tough, hard worker, clutch player ... a no-risk, developmental QB candidate. :woot:

SmilinAssasSin27
04-12-2009, 11:14 AM
IMO, Freeman won't go in rd 1...especially now that Tampa has signed Culpepper. I know Culp isn't the long term fix, but Freeman is a pretty risky bet for them in the first. I know there are still potential 1st rd players for Freeman, BUT...Now that this signing has been made, does Detroit roll the dice and take the OT w/ the #1? Then if the Bucs and Jets pass on him too, does Detroit pass on a QB again w/ the hopes that Minnesota doesn't grab him? If things fall right, Detroit could get to legit contributors AND their QB at #33.

ChairmanBron
04-12-2009, 12:19 PM

Yes stick with the system that works. McD is schooled on developing low round quarterbacks. That system works.

No to Freeman - Wasted early pick.

I think Tom Brandstater, Fresno State 6-5, 220 and Chase Clement, Rice 6-4, 225 picked at the end of the draft are perfect to develop the Patriots system.

They will be starters if not here, then somewhere in 3-4 years if schooled by McDaniels.

MOtorboat
04-12-2009, 12:29 PM
Yes stick with the system that works. McD is schooled on developing low round quarterbacks. That system works.

I think Tom Brandstater, Fresno State 6-5, 220 and Chase Clement, Rice 6-4, 225 picked at the end of the draft are perfect to develop the Patriots system.

They will be starters if not here, then somewhere in 3-4 years if schooled by McDaniels.

Brandstater, ftw.

Lonestar
04-12-2009, 12:40 PM
Here's my guess on which QB McDaniels will get: Graham Harrell ...

http://www.draftcountdown.com/scoutingreports/qb/Graham-Harrell.php

A "system QB" who played in a spread offense at Texas Tech, who holds the NCAA record for most number of 300 and 400 yard games. Pass happy McDaniels offense, this is the guy. And McDaniels can probably get him in the mid or later rounds, so he has time to develop, like Cassel. High football IQ, quick delivery, tough, hard worker, clutch player ... a no-risk, developmental QB candidate. :woot:

Got to see him quite a bit because Tech is a school we send a lot of kids to and have many Tech grads in this city.. The kid is a player but needs alot of work to become a NFL QB.. This move would not surprise me at all..

so far everything he has done is straight out of the NE play book.. I see no reason that he would throw a change up now..

I too think he will wait till 5-7 rounds to pick up a system QB to be groomed IF Orton or Simms fails to grasp the system or if one of them does and gets a BIG head and wants way more money than they deserve he will have one on the shelve ready to be a star....

Much like mikey did with RB's..always had few on hand as spare parts..

SmilinAssasSin27
04-12-2009, 12:46 PM
Agreed. We have 2 first round picks in 2010 to get the QB of the future if Orton's play warrants it. Let's at least address the D first and give Orton a shot.

honz
04-12-2009, 01:00 PM
I still don't buy that McDaniels has no interest in a top level talent at the QB position. Was he even working with Tom Brady when Brady came out of nowhere and led the Pats to their first Super Bowl? The Pats basically lucked into Brady...nobody thought he was going to be this good. If the Pats truly believed that Brady would turn out like he did, they would have snagged him well before the 6th round. Then once Brady got hurt, they had a backup QB that had been in the system for 3 or 4 years that could step in and throw accurate passes up to 15-20 yards or so and get the ball into the hands of the playmakers...but their offense wasn't nearly as explosive as it was the year before with a HOF QB.

Now, I can't predict the future and I won't be surprised at all if we snag a QB late in this draft and try to develop him...however, I also won't be surprised at all if McD drafts a 1st round QB if he sees the guy he wants whether it be this year or next year. I just don't buy that an offensive coach will always be content with having 2nd rate talent at the QB position.

Lonestar
04-12-2009, 01:13 PM
I still don't buy that McDaniels has no interest in a top level talent at the QB position. Was he even working with Tom Brady when Brady came out of nowhere and led the Pats to their first Super Bowl? The Pats basically lucked into Brady...nobody thought he was going to be this good. If the Pats truly believed that Brady would turn out like he did, they would have snagged him well before the 6th round. Then once Brady got hurt, they had a backup QB that had been in the system for 3 or 4 years that could step in and throw accurate passes up to 15-20 yards or so and get the ball into the hands of the playmakers...but their offense wasn't nearly as explosive as it was the year before with a HOF QB.

Now, I can't predict the future and I won't be surprised at all if we snag a QB late in this draft and try to develop him...however, I also won't be surprised at all if McD drafts a 1st round QB if he sees the guy he wants whether it be this year or next year. I just don't buy that an offensive coach will always be content with having 2nd rate talent at the QB position.

this is what many think Brady was not drafted high because there were flaws in his game.. same with Cassell.. They saw something in the guys and fixed those problems..

So what many thought of them as second rate guys/talent they fit the square hole with a square peg.. or maybe they found an oval peg and sanded it down to fit the round hole..

Remember that many 2nd-3rd tier RB's that so many passed on, turned out to be great RB's for us, but failed elsewhere.. Same thing applies to the OLINE that mikey had for years.. no one wanted them up front, but after a few years in DEN several went on to good careers in other cities..

It is system that makes or break players.. Does anyone think that Montana would have been a HOF QB in DET or CHI.. Steve Young was bust in TPA.

Farve could not be traded fast enough from ATL.. Breeze became all world in NOL..

Square pegs in round holes are a tough match.. would jay have done well in Joshes system I think so but would he have been happy in a more controlled game.. I do not think so..

honz
04-12-2009, 01:34 PM
this is what many think Brady was not drafted high because there were flaws in his game.. same with Cassell.. They saw something in the guys and fixed those problems..

So what many thought of them as second rate guys/talent they fit the square hole with a square peg.. or maybe they found an oval peg and sanded it down to fit the round hole..

Remember that many 2nd-3rd tier RB's that so many passed on, turned out to be great RB's for us, but failed elsewhere.. Same thing applies to the OLINE that mikey had for years.. no one wanted them up front, but after a few years in DEN several went on to good careers in other cities..

It is system that makes or break players.. Does anyone think that Montana would have been a HOF QB in DET or CHI.. Steve Young was bust in TPA.

Farve could not be traded fast enough from ATL.. Breeze became all world in NOL..

Square pegs in round holes are a tough match.. would jay have done well in Joshes system I think so but would he have been happy in a more controlled game.. I do not think so..
I'm not saying McD won't go that route, I just don't see it as a foregone conclusion.