PDA

View Full Version : oh man, just what i needed..a Elway going to my school?!

Escobar
10-20-2007, 06:20 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=3071811

DENVER -- Quarterback Jack Elway, son of NFL Hall of Famer John Elway, has verbally committed to playing for Arizona State, the Rocky Mountain News reported Saturday.

The younger Elway has thrown for 1,677 yards and 21 touchdowns this season at Cherry Creek High School in suburban Denver. He visited Arizona State last weekend, watching the unbeaten Sun Devils beat Washington 44-20.

Arizona State coach Dennis Erickson was offensive coordinator on the staff of Jack Elway Sr., John's father at San Jose State from 1979 to 1981.

Copyright 2007 by The Associated Press

--------------------:tsk::first::confused:

this is too weird.

BaiLeY324
10-20-2007, 07:12 PM
Maybe you were Elway's twin that died at birth

Escobar
10-21-2007, 01:35 PM
Maybe you were Elway's twin that died at birth

didn't even know he had a twin that died at birth......or of course you made that up.

Simple Jaded
10-21-2007, 01:41 PM
Hey, maybe this means Jack will be drafted by the Browns too.

If ya can't beat him, draft his son. :D....

Tned
10-21-2007, 02:25 PM
How is Elway playing? I know a year or two ago, people were saying he wasn't very good. I don't know how those stats stack up in high school, as I don't watch/follow high school ball.

BroncoBJ
10-21-2007, 02:37 PM
I like HS Ball and wish I could watch more of it. I only really watch my Highschool team. :(
But Congrats to Jack and I wish him well :)

Denver Native (Carol)
10-21-2007, 03:14 PM
didn't even know he had a twin that died at birth......or of course you made that up.

He did not have a twin that died at birth, but John did have a twin sister Jana, who died from cancer in July 2002.

http://www.bookrags.com/biography/john-elway/

Tragedy again struck the Elway family in 2002. In July, his twin sister, Jana Elway-Sever, who had become a school teacher in San Jose, California, died after a two-year battle with lung cancer. She was 42 years old. She had been seriously ill at the time of Jack Elway's death the previous year, although she had managed to attend the funeral service.

Denver Native (Carol)
10-21-2007, 03:20 PM
How is Elway playing? I know a year or two ago, people were saying he wasn't very good. I don't know how those stats stack up in high school, as I don't watch/follow high school ball.

http://www.9news.com/news/article.aspx?storyid=79399

Cherry Creek's Elway commits to Arizona State
Written by: Jesse Horne , Sports Reporter

Cherry Creek quarterback Jack Elway has verbally committed to play at Arizona State University, head coach Greg Critchett told 9News Saturday afternoon.

Critchett said he learned about the decision after a team film session Saturday.

"It's a big deal for us and I'm absolutely proud of and excited for him," he said.

Cherry Creek improved to 6-2 overall this season after Friday's 34-17 win over Eaglecrest. Elway, the son of NFL Hall of Fame quarterback John Elway, has passed for 1,677 yards and 21 touchdowns for the Bruins this season.

"I think the other bonus is he's a kid that has a lot of upside," Critchett said. "You look at him and say he's made great developments this year. I just see that continuing in the future."

There are instant connections for Jack Elway joining the Sun Devils. ASU coach Dennis Erickson was the offensive coordinator for the late Jack Elway Sr., John's father, at San Jose State from 1979-81. John Elway played collegiately at Stanford.

The local link is even deeper - ASU safeties coach Matt Lubick - who recruited Elway - is the son of Colorado State head coach Sonny Lubick, who worked with Jack Elway Sr. at Stanford.

"Coach Erickson is going to be there for a little bit," Critchett said. "So, I think it just came all together."

Critchett said the Elway camp came away impressed after the family attended ASU's game against Stanford earlier this season.

"I think it was something that they had been talking to them about and just kind of kept developing," he said.

Elway has not just been on the gridiron, but was also on the Bruins' boys basketball team last season.

"It's going to be exciting to see him isolate on one sport and develop the whole package," Critchett said.

The Cherry Creek football team wraps up the regular season next week when they travel to Fairview.

Simple Jaded
10-21-2007, 05:10 PM

The RMN said Scouts Inc. has him ranked No24 QB. Here is their grade of him:

Jack Elway
QB | 6'2" 197

Hometown: Englewood, CO
School: Cherry Creek High School
Region: Plains

View Briefing Room player archive Status: Verbal
School: Arizona State

You are signed into Insider and have access to the exclusive recruiting content below.

Last Updated: 10/20/2007 Data provided by Scouts, Inc.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Scouts Grade: 79
Position Rank: QB #24
Considered: 1-Arizona State , 2-California , 3-Oregon , 4-UCLA , 5-Stanford

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Evaluation: Well, young Jack certainly inherited his dad's arm, that's for sure. Elway is full of upside and physical tools as a pocket passer with good athleticism and ideal size. He has the frame to bulk up and the arm to make all the throws. However, he is raw and can be rough around the edges in terms of mechanics. He has a powerful, live arm and really cocks back to unload -- similar to how his father did. He shows good footwork and a quick set up for a taller kid, and when he sets his feet and delivers the ball on time, he can be extremely dangerous. When he gets hot, his confidence grows, and you can see it in his decision making. He'll really take some chances with the ball because he has too much confidence in his arm. Can fit the ball into tight spots just about anywhere on the field when on time. He is an exceptional seam-ball thrower who can thread the ball between linebackers and safeties. He shows good movement skills and pocket awareness. Is capable of buying some time and is a deceptive, tough runner when he has to tuck it. He's not a scrambler but is elusive enough. However, Elway can be erratic and inaccurate, especially on the deep ball. The arm is impressive, but he will spray the ball around. His delivery is quick, but he will wind up when he needs some extra mustard. Is at his best when he gets back and gets rid of the ball. Will need to adjust to taking more snaps from under center and dropping while reading. Confidence in arm gets him in trouble. He will make an exceptional throw because of his arm and then on the next play make a poor decision because of it. This is a wild colt at QB who needs to be tamed and harnessed. Coaches will love Elway's tools and pedigree, but he must become more polished, disciplined and play within himself.

Notes: 2006: Completed 83 passes for 932 yards and one touchdown. Father, NFL Hall of Fame Quarterback Jon Elway will coach Cherry Creek's QB's in 2007. Also considering Colorado State...

http://insider.espn.go.com/ncf/recruiting/tracker/player?recruitId=49422&season=2008

Simple Jaded
10-21-2007, 05:14 PM
Just fyi, E.J Manual the Scouts Inc. No1 QB, carries an 87 grade....

Skinny
10-21-2007, 06:10 PM
Some video on Jack on the right side of the page:http://footballrecruiting.rivals.com/viewprospect.asp?pr_key=56961&sport=1

Cleveland Rocks
10-21-2007, 11:07 PM
Hey, maybe this means Jack will be drafted by the Browns too.

If ya can't beat him, draft his son. :D....

Never going to happen and this boy isn't going to be in the NFL. Mark my words. All he has is a name, he's his father's son, that's why this article was written - Period.

Denver Native (Carol)
10-22-2007, 03:18 PM
Never going to happen and this boy isn't going to be in the NFL. Mark my words. All he has is a name, he's his father's son, that's why this article was written - Period.

If all Jack has is that he is John's son, why is Arizona willing to offer him a scholarship? Would they not save the scholarship for someone they feel can play if Jack can not? :confused:

Simple Jaded
10-22-2007, 06:08 PM

Mel Kiper has spoken. :rolleyes:....

It's what we call a joke, Charlie.....