PDA

View Full Version : Broncos and Chiefs should consider Parrish

Magnificent Seven
04-10-2009, 10:57 PM
Broncos and Chiefs should consider Parrish

April 10, 2009 4:00 PM

Posted by ESPN.com's Bill Williamson

The Denver Broncos and Kansas City Chiefs should listen if the Buffalo Bills shop receiver Roscoe Parrish to them.

Parrish would fit in with both teams. ESPN's John Clayton has reported that Buffalo is shopping the receiver/return man around the league because he is the odd man out in Buffalo.

Both Denver and Kansas City are beginning new programs with pass-happy coaches Josh McDaniels and Todd Haley, respectively. Both coaches love multi-receiver sets. In Denver, Parrish could play the role of Wes Welker (who McDaniels coached in New England) in the slot and he would be the perfect complement to Brandon Marshall and Eddie Royal. The Chiefs also could use another receiver and Parrish would fit in there well.

Parrish is one of the premier punt returners in the league. He'd help both Denver and Kansas City in that area as well. McDaniels and new Kansas City general manager Scott Pioli are both from New England and they saw Parrish up close twice a season in the AFC East.

With Parrish's role diminished in Buffalo, the Bills likely won't ask too much for him. He'd be well worth a mid-round draft pick for both the Broncos and the Chiefs. Both teams need to consider this option.

http://myespn.go.com/blogs/afcwest/0-3-1963/Broncos-and-Chiefs-should-consider-Parrish.html

ikillz0mbies
04-10-2009, 11:20 PM
I would take him for a 4th rounder or less. He is an explosive returner and the Broncos witnessed that a couple of years ago.

dogfish
04-11-2009, 01:14 AM
I would take him for a 4th rounder or less. He is an explosive returner and the Broncos witnessed that a couple of years ago.

yep. . . . i'd LOVE to have him as a returner, but i wouldn't pay more than that either. . . .

SBboundBRONCOS
04-11-2009, 03:09 AM
id def take him for a 4th but then again there are some solid D prospect in that area possibly as well

in the end id have to take Jasper Brinkley in that area instead, he wont cost much and could provide us with that run stuffer we need at MLB

McKeough
04-11-2009, 07:40 AM
He'd certainly add some depth to our WR core, but at this point, I'm satisfied with what we have.

Marshall has proven himself as a number 1, and Eddie Royal had a sensational rookie year. I'm hoping he stays as the number 2, and isn't moved to the slot or down the depth chart because McDaniels has a man crush on another former Pat, Gaffney. Stokely is getting old, but I'm not sure if Gaffney is fit for the slot.

I'd really like Parrish in our return game, but we did sign Arrington who should bolster our return game, anyway.

I'm all for him having a roster spot, but only at the right price.

Den21vsBal19
04-11-2009, 08:00 AM
Hopefully, McD will move the recievers around a bit to create mismatches. Assuming he's not suspended, I see Marshall as #1, Royal #2, and Gaffney/Stockely scrapping it out for #3.

However, the use of Royal or Marshall from the slot at times can only increase the offenses effectiveness...........

I would like to see a genuine kick returner here though.........as long as we can teach the coverage guys it's OK to block :tsk:

SmilinAssasSin27
04-11-2009, 09:10 AM
Scheff for Parrish STRAIGHT UP! Dude is electric in the return game and it would allow Eddie to stay fresh w/ the O. Roscoe is a baller folks.

rcsodak
04-11-2009, 10:28 AM
Scheff for Parrish STRAIGHT UP! Dude is electric in the return game and it would allow Eddie to stay fresh w/ the O. Roscoe is a baller folks.
I would have suggested cut-n-run'er for Parrish.......

Superchop 7
04-11-2009, 11:32 AM
It would be a good move, which is why we won't do it.

underrated29
04-11-2009, 11:34 AM
I said this at the other site when i was there......

NO WAY scheff for parrish strait up. Shceff is much more valuable....

But how about this:

Scheff and 3rd (bears)

for

Parrish and 2nd

Thats probably a rip off on our part, but hey i drive a hard bargain.

bullis26
04-11-2009, 11:40 AM
i think roscoe could be a very good slot reciever for us too

shank
04-11-2009, 11:44 AM
i'm a big fan of roscoe. i don't know what i'd give up for him cause i just woke up, but i'd be pretty happy to see him in denver.

UnderArmour
04-11-2009, 11:49 AM
We're not trading for Roscoe Parrish. We have Eddie Royal already and we just signed Arrington. And no, Parrish is not anywhere close to being worth Scheff straight up.

bullis26
04-11-2009, 12:08 PM
We're not trading for Roscoe Parrish. We have Eddie Royal already and we just signed Arrington. And no, Parrish is not anywhere close to being worth Scheff straight up.

ok we want to keep eddie fresh, and arrington is a very good kick returner but he just constitently gets you good field postition he's not near as much of a threat to take it to the house, and what about PR, roscoe excels at that and arrington isnt nearly as good at PR as he is KR

Plus Roscoe could be stokelys replacement when stokely retires

ikillz0mbies
04-11-2009, 03:31 PM

That would make a great basis for a trade. But I don't think it would work straight up. There would have to be picks involved.

I do like underrated29's idea though:

I said this at the other site when i was there......

NO WAY scheff for parrish strait up. Shceff is much more valuable....

But how about this:

Scheff and 3rd (bears)

for

Parrish and 2nd

Thats probably a rip off on our part, but hey i drive a hard bargain.

That 2nd that the Broncos get would net them a chance at a safety. I don't know the exact spot of that 2nd, but if it is high enough in the 2nd round, I would just scream with excitement if Patrick Chung fell into their laps.

Buffalo needs a pass-catching TE badly, which is why I think the Broncos would be holding the cards. Parrish is a good receiver and even better returner. Royal would get much needed rest and he would be fresh on offensive plays. Plus, Parrish is a much more dynamic returner than Arrington. But then there is also Chad Jackson, who has tried out at returning kicks. There is no question that there will be a glut at receiver, but with Stokely going on the downside of his career, Parrish would be a nice option in the future along with Jackson. Scheffler doesn't fit in McDaniels system and he's way too injury prone to stay on the field. The trade works well for both teams.

Make it happen!

Ravage!!!
04-11-2009, 05:12 PM
Hopefully, McD will move the recievers around a bit to create mismatches. Assuming he's not suspended, I see Marshall as #1, Royal #2, and Gaffney/Stockely scrapping it out for #3.

However, the use of Royal or Marshall from the slot at times can only increase the offenses effectiveness...........

I would like to see a genuine kick returner here though.........as long as we can teach the coverage guys it's OK to block :tsk:

Marshall isn't "quick" enough to play slot... and Stokely isn't good about beating the bump at the LoS (who would play the outside if Marshall was in the slot?). So it wouldn't increase the effectiveness.

SmilinAssasSin27
04-11-2009, 05:12 PM
Scheff is injured regularly and is coming up on a contract year. I'd send him away for Roscoe in a heartbeat.

rcsodak
04-11-2009, 05:34 PM
Marshall isn't "quick" enough to play slot... and Stokely isn't good about beating the bump at the LoS (who would play the outside if Marshall was in the slot?). So it wouldn't increase the effectiveness.

It's called making 'matchup' problems, rav.

You don't think it would throw a kink in what the D is playing when they saw the O line up?

Ravage!!!
04-11-2009, 05:46 PM
It's called making 'matchup' problems, rav.

You don't think it would throw a kink in what the D is playing when they saw the O line up?

I understand the concept at which he was referring, rc... but how many times did you see Owens play the slot? How about Ocho, or any of the other big receivers in the NFL? How many times do you see guys regularly 'change' their positions??

It doesn't cause mismatches if it handicaps the player. If Marshall isn't quick enough to play from the slot (and he's not) who's more mismatched in that situation, the offense of defense?? Stokely has proved he can't play on the outside effectively, so how is putting him on the outside (while Marshall in the slot) causing a bigger mismatch for the defense than it is the offense??

The BEST way for success.. is letting the players do what they do best, in the position they do it best in. Which is why you don't see guys like TO, Marshall, Ocho, and many other BIG WRs line up in the slot position.

Now there is always the occasional "gimmick" play...but thats not really what was being talked about.

There are times when you line up two WRs out wide to one side, and have to have one step off the LoS ...but thats not really in the 'slot'..and thats set up to counter press coverage by having the WRs cross early in order to give the DBs difficulty in sticking with the receiver during the pick.

I understand causing mismatches... doesn't mean that everything suggested is one that works or would be 'effective' in teh offense.

silkamilkamonico
04-11-2009, 07:04 PM
If Tony Scheffler is quick enough to play out of the slot, and make an impact, so is Brandon Marshall. But you're not going to line Marshall up in the slot of a McDaniels offense when you have a guy like Royal, and even Stokley.

Ravage!!!
04-11-2009, 07:11 PM
If Tony Scheffler is quick enough to play out of the slot, and make an impact, so is Brandon Marshall. But you're not going to line Marshall up in the slot of a McDaniels offense when you have a guy like Royal, and even Stokley.

You mean lining Sheff up, in the slot, when Marshall is still out wide? Sheff isn't quick enough to play the slot, hence why he doesn't play "slot receiver." Standing your TE up and moving him off the LoS doesnt' mean he's playing the 'slot receiver'... Means its third and long, you have Marshall still taking the #1 corner on the outside and the other on Royal with either a safety or LB on Sheff.

Big difference when you have the #1 guy still on the Y

silkamilkamonico
04-11-2009, 07:15 PM
You line up in the slot, you're a slot WR with the same responsibilities, whether your positioned as a TE or a WR. And Scheffler had plenty of huge plays in the slot lining up on Eddie Royal, or even Darrel Jacksons side as well.

What's next, a QB that lines up in shotgun and then runs a draw isn't really actually a RB?

Ravage!!!
04-11-2009, 07:17 PM
You line up in the slot, you're a slot WR with the same responsibilities, whether your positioned as a TE or a WR. And Scheffler had plenty of huge plays in the slot lining up on Eddie Royal, or even Darrel Jacksons side as well.

What's next, a QB that lines up in shotgun and then runs a draw isn't really actually a RB?

yeah.. Ok silk... you nailed it :coffee:

Nomad
04-11-2009, 07:20 PM
Parrish would be a great addition to the BRONCOS!!

BTW, great avy rc! I wonder which one's screwed more the buck or the doe!:lol:

silkamilkamonico
04-11-2009, 07:23 PM
yeah.. Ok silk... you nailed it :coffee:

Thank you. I was starting to see your point, and thinking that a RB who ends up throwing a pass is actually a QB that lines up in the backfield 99% of the time, "just in case".

broncofaninfla
04-13-2009, 08:54 AM
No thanks, Parrish is a fumbling machine and we already have our version of Wes Welker on our roster, Eddie Royal. Eddie has the talent to be even better than Welker.

bullis26
04-13-2009, 01:36 PM
I understand the concept at which he was referring, rc... but how many times did you see Owens play the slot? How about Ocho, or any of the other big receivers in the NFL? How many times do you see guys regularly 'change' their positions??

It doesn't cause mismatches if it handicaps the player. If Marshall isn't quick enough to play from the slot (and he's not) who's more mismatched in that situation, the offense of defense?? Stokely has proved he can't play on the outside effectively, so how is putting him on the outside (while Marshall in the slot) causing a bigger mismatch for the defense than it is the offense??

The BEST way for success.. is letting the players do what they do best, in the position they do it best in. Which is why you don't see guys like TO, Marshall, Ocho, and many other BIG WRs line up in the slot position.

Now there is always the occasional "gimmick" play...but thats not really what was being talked about.

There are times when you line up two WRs out wide to one side, and have to have one step off the LoS ...but thats not really in the 'slot'..and thats set up to counter press coverage by having the WRs cross early in order to give the DBs difficulty in sticking with the receiver during the pick.

I understand causing mismatches... doesn't mean that everything suggested is one that works or would be 'effective' in teh offense.

i've seen T.O. play in the slot quite a bit, they throw bubble screens to him

What about Anquan Boldin, he plays slot a lot

bullis26
04-13-2009, 01:37 PM
No thanks, Parrish is a fumbling machine and we already have our version of Wes Welker on our roster, Eddie Royal. Eddie has the talent to be even better than Welker.

Wes Welker is a slot receiver, Eddie Royal is an outside receiver, but your right we do have a wes welker on our team, his name is brandon stokely

getlynched47
04-13-2009, 01:41 PM
Wes Welker is a slot receiver, Eddie Royal is an outside receiver, but your right we do have a wes welker on our team, his name is brandon stokely

lolz

Welker played outside when the Patriots were in 2 receiver sets :rolleyes:

But when the Pats went to 3 receiver sets, Welker would shift inside and Jabar Gaffney would play outside opposite Randy Moss.

That's what McDaniels will do with Royal.

Stokley is our #4 receiver....he will only come in on key 3rd down conversions to keep the drive alive.....and keep himself productive.

weazel
04-13-2009, 01:43 PM
Broncos and Chiefs should consider Parrish

April 10, 2009 4:00 PM

Posted by ESPN.com's Bill Williamson

The Denver Broncos and Kansas City Chiefs should listen if the Buffalo Bills shop receiver Roscoe Parrish to them.

Parrish would fit in with both teams. ESPN's John Clayton has reported that Buffalo is shopping the receiver/return man around the league because he is the odd man out in Buffalo.

Both Denver and Kansas City are beginning new programs with pass-happy coaches Josh McDaniels and Todd Haley, respectively. Both coaches love multi-receiver sets. In Denver, Parrish could play the role of Wes Welker (who McDaniels coached in New England) in the slot and he would be the perfect complement to Brandon Marshall and Eddie Royal. The Chiefs also could use another receiver and Parrish would fit in there well.

Parrish is one of the premier punt returners in the league. He'd help both Denver and Kansas City in that area as well. McDaniels and new Kansas City general manager Scott Pioli are both from New England and they saw Parrish up close twice a season in the AFC East.

With Parrish's role diminished in Buffalo, the Bills likely won't ask too much for him. He'd be well worth a mid-round draft pick for both the Broncos and the Chiefs. Both teams need to consider this option.

http://myespn.go.com/blogs/afcwest/0-3-1963/Broncos-and-Chiefs-should-consider-Parrish.html

we have the best slot receiver in the league, maybe you've heard of him... his name is Brandon Stokely. ...oh yeah, and he's a team player.

weazel
04-13-2009, 01:44 PM

sorry man, never seen this post...

bullis26
04-13-2009, 01:45 PM
lolz

Welker played outside when the Patriots were in 2 receiver sets :rolleyes:

But when the Pats went to 3 receiver sets, Welker would shift inside and Jabar Gaffney would play outside opposite Randy Moss.

That's what McDaniels will do with Royal.

Stokley is our #4 receiver....he will only come in on key 3rd down conversions to keep the drive alive.....and keep himself productive.

stokely played outside receiver also, especially two years ago, but primarily welker is a slot reciever

getlynched47
04-13-2009, 01:47 PM
stokely played outside receiver also, especially two years ago, but primarily welker is a slot reciever

Well I guess Eddie Royal is now a slot receiver since McDaniels is here :rolleyes:

bullis26
04-13-2009, 02:05 PM
Well I guess Eddie Royal is now a slot receiver since McDaniels is here :rolleyes:

again talking out your ass, show us a link

getlynched47
04-13-2009, 02:12 PM
again talking out your ass, show us a link

I didn't say it...you did.

Call Eddie Royal or Wes Welker whatever you like, but both have played outside in their career, and both will slide into the slot in three wide receiver sets.

https://ffcollective.com/players/Eddie%20Royal

Gaffney figures to work the out routes while Eddie Royal and Brandon Stokley fill the Wes Welker slot role and Brandon Marshall mirrors the Randy Moss role.

Now where's your link? I didn't think so :coffee:

rcsodak
04-13-2009, 02:15 PM
Parrish would be a great addition to the BRONCOS!!

BTW, great avy rc! I wonder which one's screwed more the buck or the doe!:lol:

You'll have to zoom in, for that answer, BB! :D

Question:
If you had 1 bullet, and needed food for the winter, which one would you shoot and how?

rcsodak
04-13-2009, 02:22 PM

Call Eddie Royal or Wes Welker whatever you like, but both have played outside in their career, and both will slide into the slot in three wide receiver sets.

LMAO!

Well, I imagine if I was making a point about what the HC was planning on doing, I'd prolly use HIS words to back it up, vs a fantasy football site.

But hey, whatever floats your innertube.

bullis26
04-13-2009, 02:33 PM

haha okay nice FANTASY FOOTBALL link

broncofaninfla
04-13-2009, 02:39 PM
I'm not really going out on a limb here but Royal is still the #2 wide out but look for Royal to be used in the slot more than any of our receivers. It's all about mismatches and Stokely and Royal will both see time in the slot. Royal has Welkers' tools plus some, Royal will have a prominet role in McD's offense and I bet he will be our most productive WR of the guys who line up in the slot.

Denver27og
04-13-2009, 03:27 PM
sheff for roscoe parrish???????????? i would make that move in a heartbeat... roscoe is a premier playmaker... if you havent seen his highlights

getlynched47
04-13-2009, 05:16 PM
sheff for roscoe parrish???????????? i would make that move in a heartbeat... roscoe is a premier playmaker... if you havent seen his highlights

He also has a knack for fumbling the ball...as I recall