PDA

View Full Version : Current LB's

broncofaninfla
04-10-2009, 10:20 AM
Breaking down the D: Linebackers (http://blogs.denverpost.com/broncos/2009/04/09/breaking-down-the-d-linebackers/) by Lindsay Jones on April 9, 2009
http://extras.mnginteractive.com/live/media/site36/2008/0908/20080908_101029_470dots.gif

DENVER — The Broncos currently have seven linebackers on its roster heading into the first minicamp next week. That’s not a lot, so look for the team to add to its depth at the position through the 2009 draft.
But like we did yesterday with defensive linemen, let’s look at who actually is already here, and see how these guys might contribute in Mike Nolan’s new 3-4 defense:
D.J. Williams: A team captain in 2008, Williams has played every linebacker in a 3-4, and the new defense means yet another position change. But Williams is athletic and versatile enough that he should be able to handle it. The question now is if Williams, 6-1, 240, is better suited to play inside or outside linebacker, because he should be able to line up at either spot.
Boss Bailey: Bailey has somewhat been the forgotten man in the defensive reshuffling after the 2008 season because of the season-ending knee injury he suffered in late October. But Bailey could be a key component to a 3-4 defense. A natural outside linebacker, Bailey was the lynch pin to the success the Broncos had in when it experimented with that scheme last fall because of his ability to both line up in the box and drop back in pass coverage.
Wesley Woodyard: The undrafted rookie in 2008 quickly became a fan favorite for the job he did filling in when Williams was injured in November. He’s athletic, fast and a quick learner, but it is unclear how he will fit into the 3-4. Expect Woodyard to be one of the top special teams players, as well.
Spencer Larsen: He’s still listed as a fullback/linebacker on the Broncos roster, but Larsen wants his long-term career to be on defense. He is a natural middle linebacker who must play inside in the 3-4. Like Woodyard, Larsen should be a top player on special teams once again in 2009.
Louis Green: On the Broncos’ roster since 2003, Green is one of the longest tenured Broncos, mostly because of his special teams play. No reason to believe at this point that his role will change much in 2009.
Mario Haggan: At 6-3, 262, Haggan is one of the tam’s biggest and most versatile linebackers. The new coaching staff is looking for guys who can play a variety of roles, and Haggan could be one of them.
Andra Davis: The newcomer of the bunch — he signed as a free agent from Cleveland — Davis has the most experience in the 3-4 defense, which will be crucial to helping his new teammates pick up the intricacies of the system. He’s also a proven leader and has a strong locker room presence. Expect him to start at one of the two inside linebacker positions.

No mention of Doom or Moss but my assumtion is they will both be tried as OLB's in the 3/4

turftoad
04-10-2009, 10:26 AM
Breaking down the D: Linebackers (http://blogs.denverpost.com/broncos/2009/04/09/breaking-down-the-d-linebackers/) by Lindsay Jones on April 9, 2009
http://extras.mnginteractive.com/live/media/site36/2008/0908/20080908_101029_470dots.gif

DENVER — The Broncos currently have seven linebackers on its roster heading into the first minicamp next week. That’s not a lot, so look for the team to add to its depth at the position through the 2009 draft.
But like we did yesterday with defensive linemen, let’s look at who actually is already here, and see how these guys might contribute in Mike Nolan’s new 3-4 defense:
D.J. Williams: A team captain in 2008, Williams has played every linebacker in a 3-4, and the new defense means yet another position change. But Williams is athletic and versatile enough that he should be able to handle it. The question now is if Williams, 6-1, 240, is better suited to play inside or outside linebacker, because he should be able to line up at either spot.
Boss Bailey: Bailey has somewhat been the forgotten man in the defensive reshuffling after the 2008 season because of the season-ending knee injury he suffered in late October. But Bailey could be a key component to a 3-4 defense. A natural outside linebacker, Bailey was the lynch pin to the success the Broncos had in when it experimented with that scheme last fall because of his ability to both line up in the box and drop back in pass coverage.
Wesley Woodyard: The undrafted rookie in 2008 quickly became a fan favorite for the job he did filling in when Williams was injured in November. He’s athletic, fast and a quick learner, but it is unclear how he will fit into the 3-4. Expect Woodyard to be one of the top special teams players, as well.
Spencer Larsen: He’s still listed as a fullback/linebacker on the Broncos roster, but Larsen wants his long-term career to be on defense. He is a natural middle linebacker who must play inside in the 3-4. Like Woodyard, Larsen should be a top player on special teams once again in 2009.
Louis Green: On the Broncos’ roster since 2003, Green is one of the longest tenured Broncos, mostly because of his special teams play. No reason to believe at this point that his role will change much in 2009.
Mario Haggan: At 6-3, 262, Haggan is one of the tam’s biggest and most versatile linebackers. The new coaching staff is looking for guys who can play a variety of roles, and Haggan could be one of them.
Andra Davis: The newcomer of the bunch — he signed as a free agent from Cleveland — Davis has the most experience in the 3-4 defense, which will be crucial to helping his new teammates pick up the intricacies of the system. He’s also a proven leader and has a strong locker room presence. Expect him to start at one of the two inside linebacker positions.

No mention of Doom or Moss but my assumtion is they will both be tried as OLB's in the 3/4

Looking at this is not very immpressive.

DJ is good but doesn't fit the 3-4.

Woodyard (i love the guy) doesn't fit either.

Bailey doesn't fit.

Green and Haggin are ST types.

Larsen is unproven.

Davis is a stopgap player that's here for his experience.

We need to draft some young guys, period.

Traveler
04-10-2009, 10:35 AM

Bailey doesn't fit.

Larsen is unproven.

I'd have to disagree with you on Bailey. If you have any of the games taped, look at them again and you'l see Bailey was actually one of the better LB's when they were using the 3-4 last season. Not sure if he's the type to put heat on the QB. But, he definitely can play the run well and was solid covering the TE's. His problem has always been staying healthy.

broncofaninfla
04-10-2009, 10:35 AM
I saw a lot of promise in Larsen in his limited playing time last year, my gut is he is going to be a player and will probably not be wasted at FB this year with Shanny being gone.

I think DJ is solid and still wondering where they are going to line him up. My guess is they won't tip their hat on that one until after the draft.

Woodyard is a player and I'm hoping he comes in heavier this year because he has the skill set to make plays for us.

I'll wait and see with Moss and Doom

Davis will help with his expereince BUT I wasn't impressed with him much at Cleveland.

The rest are scrubs IMO.....

Buff
04-10-2009, 10:41 AM
I'd like to see DJ at ILB, unless we grab Rey in the first round, then that complicates matters...

If we can add a solid OLB instead, then I wouldn't hate opening the season with Davis and Williams on the inside and Bailey/Dumervil and our 1st round pick on the outside.

broncofaninfla
04-10-2009, 10:41 AM
I'd have to disagree with you on Bailey. If you have any of the games taped, look at them again and you'l see Bailey was actually one of the better LB's when they were using the 3-4 last season. Not sure if he's the type to put heat on the QB. But, he definitely can play the run well and was solid covering the TE's. His problem has always been staying healthy.

I hope you are right, I didn't like much from Boss last year in his limited playing time, he seemed lost and slow when I focused in on him but my main issue with him is durability. The guy seems to stay hurt (Detroit and Denver).

Superchop 7
04-10-2009, 10:42 AM
This group provides depth, nice depth.

The draft has surefire starters.

We can turn a weakness into a strength this year.

We can also round out a nice group of safeties.

turftoad
04-10-2009, 10:43 AM

Boss is a waste of a roster spot. He's not ideal for either ILB or OLB in the 3-4.

Fan in Exile
04-10-2009, 10:51 AM
Boss is a waste of a roster spot. He's not ideal for either ILB or OLB in the 3-4.

Why do you say this?

turftoad
04-10-2009, 10:56 AM
Why do you say this?

He's not an ILB at all. It's not his position. He's a fine OLB in the 4-3 but not in the 3-4. He doesn't have the pass rush skills it takes.
OLB in the 3-4 are OLB/DE tweeners which he is not.

Traveler
04-10-2009, 10:56 AM

Guess we'll have to agreee to disagree. Like I said earlier, B. Bailey's problem is durability. He'd make a nice backup at OLB. Also, because of his salary, he's not going anywhere this season.

With Moss & Dumervil competing at the other OLB spot, and DJ possibly filling the OLB spot on the other side, it'll be interesting to see what the staff does with Bailey.

turftoad
04-10-2009, 10:58 AM
Guess we'll have to agreee to disagree. Like I said earlier, B. Bailey's problem is durability. He'd make a nice backup at OLB. Also, because of his salary, he's not going anywhere this season.

With Moss & Dumervil competing at the other OLB spot, and DJ possibly filling the OLB spot on the other side, it'll be interesting to see what the staff does with Bailey.

I don't think we want a nice backup starting at one of OLB spots. But you're right, he'd make a nice backup.

Fan in Exile
04-10-2009, 11:04 AM
He's not an ILB at all. It's not his position. He's a fine OLB in the 4-3 but not in the 3-4. He doesn't have the pass rush skills it takes.
OLB in the 3-4 are OLB/DE tweeners which he is not.

It seems pretty clear to me that you're confusing the WOLB and the SOLB spot in the 3-4.

The WOLB in Nolan's scheme is the pass rusher OLB/DE tweener. The SOLB is the one who has to be more versitile and is often asked to cover TE's and RB's. He occasionaly does rush but it isn't his main responsibility.

Of course to be fair in SF this wasn't quite the case so it depends a little bit on what Nolan plans to do here, but he fits the SOLB really well.

turftoad
04-10-2009, 11:06 AM
It seems pretty clear to me that you're confusing the WOLB and the SOLB spot in the 3-4.

The WOLB in Nolan's scheme is the pass rusher OLB/DE tweener. The SOLB is the one who has to be more versitile and is often asked to cover TE's and RB's. He occasionaly does rush but it isn't his main responsibility.

Of course to be fair in SF this wasn't quite the case so it depends a little bit on what Nolan plans to do here, but he fits the SOLB really well.

Fair enough.

But, plain and simple, the guy is just not that good. Wasn't in Det and wasn't here. Yeah, injuries have some part in that but still, not that good.

Fan in Exile
04-10-2009, 11:15 AM
Fair enough.

But, plain and simple, the guy is just not that good. Wasn't in Det and wasn't here. Yeah, injuries have some part in that but still, not that good.

I would say that it's almost all injuries. However I think those injuries are pretty serious which is why I have Sintim at #18 on my wish list.

Medford Bronco
04-10-2009, 11:17 AM
As long as we never see Nate Webster and Jamie Winborn its addtion by Subtraction :lol:

Fan in Exile
04-10-2009, 11:19 AM
As long as we never see Nate Webster and Jamie Winborn its addtion by Subtraction :lol:

I've been rewatching the games on NFL rewind and whenever I see them celebrate or watch that helmet go flying I can feel my head starting to explode. :mad:

Broncolingus
04-10-2009, 11:21 AM
Boss hasn't impressed me...I'll conceed though, he's been so injury prone I personally can't get an honest take...

I think DJ's a good LB and would like to keep him, but feel the same way as most, wondering where he's going to fit in the 3-4...can dude pass rush at all? I don't know either way...

Broncolingus
04-10-2009, 11:21 AM

I'll buy that for a buck...

turftoad
04-10-2009, 11:25 AM
I would say that it's almost all injuries. However I think those injuries are pretty serious which is why I have Sintim at #18 on my wish list.

I would go for that if we don't draft Rey at #12.

Sintim is listed on most sites/mags/scouts as an ILB. I do like the guy.

Fan in Exile
04-10-2009, 11:28 AM
I would go for that if we don't draft Rey at #12.

Sintim is listed on most sites/mags/scouts as an ILB. I do like the guy.

He did play in a 3-4 in college and Al Groh has apparently been really beating the drum for him.

I would just like to stay away from Maualuge at this point. But I suppose that goes in the five riskiest players thread.

nevcraw
04-10-2009, 11:29 AM
I too have no issue with Boss as an OLB in a 3-4. He's big fast and usually around the ball.. But watching him get hurt every play was worse than the helmet flying and "look at me" dance..
he could be good but can't be trusted..

getlynched47
04-10-2009, 11:33 AM

I've got a weird feeling that Boss Bailey will compete at Middle Linebacker with Spencer Larsen and DJ Williams will stay at WOLB :eek:

As for Dumervil and Moss, I think they will compete for the SOLB, because they can use their pass rushing skills to their advantage at that position. Think Lamaar Woodley, he's not a great athlete (I think he was a Defensive End in college), yet he is becoming a great SOLB because he can rush the passer.

I LOL'd when the article says: "Bailey was the lynch pin to the success the Broncos had in when it experimented with that scheme last fall." What success? Am I missing something? It was so successful that we stopped using it :lol:

underrated29
04-10-2009, 11:39 AM
Nolan and Mcd said they cant wait to get Boss back. And that his roster spot was secured right away. he is the prototypical NOlan player. Huge fast etc.

They already said he is the ideal candidate in an 3-4- he can cover the TE, drop in coverage- the only thing is his pass rush, but someone as big as fast as he is should probably be able to blitz.....

But...........

Boss needs to do yoga or something so he quits hurting his muscles and pulling and tearing them and there is not gurantee he can last a whol season let alone 6 games.

Fan in Exile
04-10-2009, 11:47 AM
I've got a weird feeling that Boss Bailey will compete at Middle Linebacker with Spencer Larsen and DJ Williams will stay at WOLB :eek:

As for Dumervil and Moss, I think they will compete for the SOLB, because they can use their pass rushing skills to their advantage at that position. Think Lamaar Woodley, he's not a great athlete (I think he was a Defensive End in college), yet he is becoming a great SOLB because he can rush the passer.

I LOL'd when the article says: "Bailey was the lynch pin to the success the Broncos had in when it experimented with that scheme last fall." What success? Am I missing something? It was so successful that we stopped using it :lol:

I'm pretty sure that you're getting the positions reversed. Woodley is listed as the LOLB which would make him the WOLB. IIRC

Moss and DOOM would be competing for the WOLB not the SOLB in Woodley's mold.

getlynched47
04-10-2009, 11:48 AM
I'm pretty sure that you're getting the positions reversed. Woodley is listed as the LOLB which would make him the WOLB. IIRC

Moss and DOOM would be competing for the WOLB not the SOLB in Woodley's mold.

Lamarr Woodley always played on the Right Tackle side, making him the SOLB. James Harrison is the Steelers WOLB.

http://www.steelernation.com/forums/showthread.php?t=8928

This year, Woodley is the starting, strong side linebacker for a Steelers’ team that puts its defensive focus on its linebackers

Fan in Exile
04-10-2009, 12:27 PM
Lamarr Woodley always played on the Right Tackle side, making him the SOLB. James Harrison is the Steelers WOLB.

http://www.steelernation.com/forums/showthread.php?t=8928

You're right I was getting the sides mixed up.

However you were wrong in comparing the SOLB of the Steelers to what we are probably going to do. They run more of a pressure 3-4 so Woodley blitzes more than we are going to ask our SOLB to do. That's why I got confused with your post.

CoachChaz
04-10-2009, 12:33 PM
Best thing about Sintim is outside of Curry, he is the most versatile. he can play well on the inside and the outside equally in a 3-4. If we drafted him and Maualuga in the first round, our LB corps would have one hell of a head start on a great future.

turftoad
04-10-2009, 12:43 PM
Best thing about Sintim is outside of Curry, he is the most versatile. he can play well on the inside and the outside equally in a 3-4. If we drafted him and Maualuga in the first round, our LB corps would have one hell of a head start on a great future.

I wouldn't complain about that at all.

IMO, our LB corps needs the most help.

CoachChaz
04-10-2009, 12:46 PM

Agreed. DJ just isnt made for a 3-4, Larsen...who knows, Davis...solid but not great. The rest dont even need to be mentioned.

In a perfect world, DJ would adapt to the inside on a 3-4 and either Doom or Moss would work out on the outside. Give me a corps with DJ and Rey in the middle with Larsen and Davis as insurance and Doom/Moss/Sintim on the outside and I'm happy.

broncofaninfla
04-10-2009, 12:48 PM

I'd have to disagree, our DL is and was putrid, it was like we didn't even have a DL last year, they weren't even slowing people down and hardly ever pressured or sacked QB's. I will agree we need help in both areas though.

turftoad
04-10-2009, 12:54 PM
I'd have to disagree, our DL is and was putrid, it was like we didn't even have a DL last year, they weren't even slowing people down and hardly ever pressured or sacked QB's. I will agree we need help in both areas though.

In the 3-4, DL isn't where the main pass rush comes from.

We've added a few DL in the offseason. Guys the new coaching staff must like. We've got some guys to put out there and they may play pretty well.

IMO, we need some solid ILB's to stuff the run. That said, i agree we still need work on the DL but LB is more of a need.

getlynched47
04-10-2009, 12:55 PM
You're right I was getting the sides mixed up.

However you were wrong in comparing the SOLB of the Steelers to what we are probably going to do. They run more of a pressure 3-4 so Woodley blitzes more than we are going to ask our SOLB to do. That's why I got confused with your post.

I'm comparing the SOLB in a 3-4 in general. Most SOLB in 3-4 defensives are almost used strictly for pass-rushing. Most of them aren't phenomenal athletes, but converted Defensive Ends.

Requiem / The Dagda
04-10-2009, 12:58 PM
3-4 OLB are actually some of the most athletic people on the field.

Traveler
04-10-2009, 01:04 PM

That's why I'd be okay with unloading our 2nd for Peppers. The drawback being, would Carolina take it and would Bowlen be prepared to give him a monster contract?

Requiem / The Dagda
04-10-2009, 01:18 PM
There are plenty of athletic defensive ends and outside linebackers available in this draft. Denver should have their selection of many at any of their top five selections. I'd much rather not trade for Peppers and have to give him a huge contract. In fact, I'm anxious to see Jarvis at rushbacker. If people are fans of Michael Johnson in this years draft, we already have our version of him essentially in Moss. Whether Moss can drop back into coverage and be effective in that regard is unknown; but he has extremely long arms which could be hell for quarterbacks trying to pass and see lanes from the pocket. The same goes for Dumervil.

However, I still think we need an upgrade all over the board.

Larsen and Davis can play the inside positions [not really excited about Larsen], DJ obviously at the WOLB spot -- and then we have Bailey, Moss and Dumervil at the SOLB position. The unfortunate thing about this is that having the right linebackers to run a 3-4 is paramount to the defenses success. Yes, the NT is undoubtedly important -- but you have to have the athletic linebackers who can produce and make good against the run and the pass.

Right now Denver has ten picks in the NFL Draft; I'd expect at least three of them, quite possibly four to be spent on front seven players in the 3-4 defense. An inside linebacker, a rushbacker, a nose tackle and a 5-technique defensive end. That'd be a great start to rebuilding the front seven. Hopefully we can grab a corner and a safety as well; and use the additional picks to focus on the offensive side of the ball.

Medford Bronco
04-10-2009, 01:23 PM
I've been rewatching the games on NFL rewind and whenever I see them celebrate or watch that helmet go flying I can feel my head starting to explode. :mad:

I think Nate Webster might be the worst tackler I have ever seen.

He is the opposite of a diciplined player that says to stay in your lane and not over pursue. Pretty pathetic as well.

Winborn was marginally better but that is not saying much

getlynched47
04-10-2009, 01:31 PM

Really?

Lamarr Woodley?
Jarrett Johnson?
Willie McGinest?
Matt Roth?
Mike Vrabel?
Bryan Thomas?
Greg Ellis?
Parys Haralson?

What do all of these guys have in common? They're 3-4 Sam Outer Linebackers AND they are not very athletic. Most of them are converted Defensive Ends.

Elvis Dumervil or Jarvis Moss should be more than adequate at the Sam Outer Linebacker position because their great speed can be used to their advantage as they encounter less double teams while being an outside rusher in a standing up stance.

Requiem / The Dagda
04-10-2009, 01:42 PM
Yes, really.

getlynched47
04-10-2009, 01:45 PM

Really?

Lamarr Woodley?
Jarrett Johnson?
Wille McGinest?
Matt Roth?
Mike Vrabel?
Bryan Thomas?
Greg Ellis?
Parys Haralson?

What do all of these guys have in common? They're 3-4 Sam Outer Linebackers AND they are not very athletic. Most of them are converted Defensive Ends.

Elvis Dumervil or Jarvis Moss should be more than adequate at the Sam Outer Linebacker position because their great speed can be used to their advantage as they encounter less double teams while being an outside rusher in a standing up stance.

Yes, really.

Then please explain to me why the majority of 3-4 teams have slow, pass rushing specialists at the Sam Outer Linebacker position.

I don't argue that the Will Outer Linebacker has to be athletic, and I think DJ Williams would be fine there because he's a rare combination of athleticism with strength.

But for SOLB, that's a different story.

underrated29
04-10-2009, 01:47 PM
dream why not excited about larsen.....I am stoked for him to start for us, yes we have old andra, and yes rey would be awesome too-(even though you hate him)...

But larsen at his ILB spot, his main job for that position is to stuff the run. (according to MUG- he just made a thread about this at BM) He didnt suggest it, but i did. Larsen can hit like no bodies business, and if his main duty as a 2 down LB is to play run then he will DOMINATE there, and he is not bad in coverage, and has the speed, as evident from his ST tackles to drop back or rush the QB..

I am excited about him the most, then doom, then moss.

getlynched47
04-10-2009, 01:55 PM
dream why not excited about larsen.....I am stoked for him to start for us, yes we have old andra, and yes rey would be awesome too-(even though you hate him)...

But larsen at his ILB spot, his main job for that position is to stuff the run. (according to MUG- he just made a thread about this at BM) He didnt suggest it, but i did. Larsen can hit like no bodies business, and if his main duty as a 2 down LB is to play run then he will DOMINATE there, and he is not bad in coverage, and has the speed, as evident from his ST tackles to drop back or rush the QB..

Larsen in an ideal ILB in a 3-4. He's big, strong, tough, and aggressive. I could easily see Andra Davis and Spencer Larsen being our starters, keeping DJ Williams at WOLB, and watching Dumervil, Moss, and Boss Bailey fight it out for SOLB.

Dean
04-10-2009, 02:08 PM
Unless the Broncos come up with a viable nose tackle, teams will seldom have to pass and when they do the QB if he has any pocket awarenes will just step up into the uncollapsed pocket avoiding the rush. A 3-4 defense begins and ends with the nose's ability to protect the LBs and to flush the QB.

getlynched47
04-10-2009, 02:10 PM
Unless the Broncos come up with a viable nose tackle, teams will seldom have to pass and when they do the QB if he has any pocket awarenes will just step up into the uncollapsed pocket avoiding the rush. A 3-4 defense begins and ends with the nose's ability to protect the LBs and to flush the QB.

Yeah, it really wouldnt matter which safeties or linebackers we had...because they'll all look like shit with a horrible defensive line. Call me crazy, but Powell/Fields/Peterson just doesn't sound the least bit scary to me :coffee:

I like Tyson Jackson/Ron Brace/ Kenny Peterson or Marcus Thomas :werd:

Hobe
04-10-2009, 02:52 PM
There are three ways you can play the 3-4 defense. I don’t know how Nolen normally plays it.

If you don’t have a dominant nose tackle you have to play something like this. By dominant NT I mean someone that can force the offense to use both a guard and center to control him every time. That allows the NT to control both the A and B gaps.

5 d-lineman and 2 linebackers. In this configuration the middle linebackers are fast for lateral pursuit, the outside linebackers are both rushers and have outside contain, and the down lineman tie up the middle. You alternate rushing the OLB or send both.

This scheme would favor Doom, Moss, and Haggan for the OLB and Williams, Bailey, Woodyard, Spencer, and Davis for the middle. In the Pros this doesn't work so well.

If you have a dominant NT there are two options;

3 down lineman and one of the OLB is a designated speed rusher. In this case the three other linebackers can almost play a modified Sam/Mike/Will scheme.

In this scheme I could see Doom, Moss, and Haggan competing over the speed rusher and Williams, Bailey, Woodyard, Spencer, and Davis for the S/M/W spots.

3 down lineman and 2 OLBs, either one can rush or drop. The 2 MLBs are lateral pursuers.

In this scheme I could see Doom, Moss, Haggan and possibly Bailey competing for the OLBs spots and Williams, Woodyard, Spencer, Davis, and Bailey, competing for the ILBs spots.

I’m sure that more folks will be added to the mix before the season starts, but unless we get a dominant NT, I’d rather stay 4-3.

Broncolingus
04-10-2009, 04:22 PM

...or at least 'occupy' (ie...plug) the middle of the offensive line.

Requiem / The Dagda
04-10-2009, 06:00 PM
Then please explain to me why the majority of 3-4 teams have slow, pass rushing specialists at the Sam Outer Linebacker position.

I don't argue that the Will Outer Linebacker has to be athletic, and I think DJ Williams would be fine there because he's a rare combination of athleticism with strength.

But for SOLB, that's a different story.

You are picking and choosing players to try and fit your argument; but the reality is that it unfortunately doesn't work. Thing is, the players you listed (especially Woodley) are a lot more athletic than you give them credit for. The simple fact that a college defensive end has the ability to translate to a 3-4 rushbacker in the NFL just shows how athletic they are. It isn't something I'm going to waste my time arguing on with you. If you don't believe that 3-4 SAM linebackers aren't athletic players, more power to you. Feel free to be wrong at the same time. But hey, maybe we could get Louis Murphy to play SAM for us!

Requiem / The Dagda
04-10-2009, 06:04 PM

Well, I haven't seen what MUG started over on BM; but Spencer Larsen is a two-down linebacker for the fact that he's absolutely in coverage; has stiff hips and shows no fluidity while dropping back. Denver doesn't have a linebacker on their roster currently, perhaps outside Boss Bailey -- who is athletic enough to be on the field in the 3-4 to drop into coverage. That's a huge problem.

In regards to SL: I've just never been high on Spencer Larsen. Admittedly, I had bias considering he was a 25 year old rookie; but I don't think there is much to get excited about in regards to him. Him starting on both offense and defense this year is a feel good story, but he still has a lot to prove on the field before I can get real excited about his potential on our team; especially in a transition defense. He's a typical two-down thumping MIKE linebacker. Those are a dime a dozen. He is nothing special. I guess that fits his responsibilities and expectations in this defense, but meh.

getlynched47
04-10-2009, 06:46 PM
You are picking and choosing players to try and fit your argument; but the reality is that it unfortunately doesn't work. Thing is, the players you listed (especially Woodley) are a lot more athletic than you give them credit for. The simple fact that a college defensive end has the ability to translate to a 3-4 rushbacker in the NFL just shows how athletic they are. It isn't something I'm going to waste my time arguing on with you. If you don't believe that 3-4 SAM linebackers aren't athletic players, more power to you. Feel free to be wrong at the same time. But hey, maybe we could get Louis Murphy to play SAM for us!

Good job defending yourself with nonsense.

Just what I would expect........

ALL those players I listed were their SAM linebacker in the 3-4 defense last season. The only one I didn't mention was Shaun Phillips. How is that picking and choosing?

http://www.warroomreport.com/draft/rankings/de/woodley.htm

Woodley does not have the long speed or coverage skills to play linebacker full time in the NFL. He could play 3-4 OLB on early downs for some teams, but he probably projects best as a pure defensive end.

The point is, you don't have to be an excellent athlete to be a SOLB like you suggest. Jarvis Moss or Elvis Dumervil should suffice, whichever wins the competition in training camp.

You're welcome :coffee:

SmilinAssasSin27
04-11-2009, 09:58 AM
The defense improved when the "starters" were hurt and Larsen, Woodyard and Barrett saw the field. They add youthful exuberance and can play pretty damn well too. We need to get em on the field. I say Andra Davis and Larsen start inside and we draft a Brinkley in the mid rounds. DJ can try 1 outside spot and we use Doom, Moss, or a rookie to try the other. I don't care which role DJ is placed in, he'll be solid. Not great, but he also won't hurt us.

bullis26
04-11-2009, 11:33 AM

Bailey doesn't fit.

Larsen is unproven.

I think DJ could definately play ILB in a 3-4 and Woodyard i think could be a good 3-4 OLB along with bailey have those two split time with moss on the other side

bullis26
04-11-2009, 11:36 AM
Good job defending yourself with nonsense.

Just what I would expect........

ALL those players I listed were their SAM linebacker in the 3-4 defense last season. The only one I didn't mention was Shaun Phillips. How is that picking and choosing?

http://www.warroomreport.com/draft/rankings/de/woodley.htm

The point is, you don't have to be an excellent athlete to be a SOLB like you suggest. Jarvis Moss or Elvis Dumervil should suffice, whichever wins the competition in training camp.

You're welcome :coffee:

no way you just said jarvis moss isnt athletic