PDA

View Full Version : The Denver Broncos felt they had no choice but to move on from the short Jay Cutler era.

Lonestar
04-10-2009, 03:01 AM
The Denver Broncos felt they had no choice but to move on from the short Jay Cutler era.

When Broncos coach Josh McDaniels went a couple weeks without hearing from Cutler and the team didn't get return messages from the quarterback, they moved on with a trade. Cutler was sent to the Chicago Bears on April 2.
When McDaniels held a press conference to explain the trading of a 25-year-old franchise quarterback, he said he didn't think the situation could be fixed.

"It was going to require a two-way commitment," McDaniels said. "It was clear to us there wasn't going to be a two-way commitment."

Cutler was upset that he was mentioned in trade talks for Matt Cassel, then the bitter feelings with the Broncos brass grew. He had a face-to-face meeting with McDaniels and general manager Brian Xanders, among others, but requested a trade through his agent the next day. McDaniels said he and Cutler never spoke again.

Now the Broncos will move ahead with Kyle Orton and Chris Simms at quarterback. McDaniels said the two would compete for the starting job. Orton was acquired in the trade for Cutler.

Neither quarterback has the physical skills of Cutler, and McDaniels admitted he wanted Cutler as his quarterback. The two sides could never get along, resulting in what could be one of the most controversial trades in team history.

"This wasn't the end result we were looking for from the outset," McDaniels said. "But it is where we're at now, and we're moving forward in a direction where we feel like we can compete."

http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/4809722/Denver-Broncos-Inside-Slant?CMP=OTC-K9B140813162&ATT=5

Dirk
04-10-2009, 06:55 AM
"This wasn't the end result we were looking for from the outset," McDaniels said. "But it is where we're at now, and we're moving forward in a direction where we feel like we can compete."

http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/4809722/Denver-Broncos-Inside-Slant?CMP=OTC-K9B140813162&ATT=5

Of course not. We all know from the outset he wanted Cassel. Oh well, spilled milk. Nothing to cry about anymore and nothing to see.

The media will probably try to hit on this every chance they can through the season.

1. Cutty does good - Broncos were stupid
2. Cutty does bad - Broncos were smart
3. Orton (Simms) does good - Broncos were smart
4. Orton (Simms) does bad - Broncos were stupid

We will be hearing about this all season long. Every game the callers will be yacking about it over and over. It will be a long season. Maybe I will watch the games with the sound off. HA!

claymore
04-10-2009, 07:00 AM
I loved the skit Rich Eisen did on NFL network. He was pouting on the couch holding a Broncos pillow. Assante Samuel walked in, and said whats wrong? Rich said I miss talking about Jay Cutler. Then Assante had to console him.

Nomad
04-10-2009, 07:00 AM
Of course not. We all know from the outset he wanted Cassel. Oh well, spilled milk. Nothing to cry about anymore and nothing to see.

The media will probably try to hit on this every chance they can through the season.

We will be hearing about this all season long. Every game the callers will be yacking about it over and over. It will be a long season. Maybe I will watch the games with the sound off. HA!

You think Phil Simms will be singing praises for the BRONCOS IF (which I doubt) Chris gets the starting nod!!

Dirk
04-10-2009, 07:04 AM
You think Phil Simms will be singing praises for the BRONCOS IF (which I doubt) Chris gets the starting nod!!

OMG, he will definately be the gloating papa! :laugh:

Shazam!
04-10-2009, 08:21 AM
This article says nothing that none of us didn't know already.

GEM
04-10-2009, 09:10 AM
OMG, he will definately be the gloating papa! :laugh:

Total 180 for the guy after spewing nothing but hate for the Broncos since his playing days.

Dirk
04-10-2009, 09:22 AM
Total 180 for the guy after spewing nothing but hate for the Broncos since his playing days.

Ha! Yeah, I'm sure if Simms doesn't get the start over Orton, he will continue to spew hatred because the Broncos should be starting his boy.

GEM
04-10-2009, 09:26 AM
Ha! Yeah, I'm sure if Simms doesn't get the start over Orton, he will continue to spew hatred because the Broncos should be starting his boy.

I won't ever look at P Simms any different. Just cause his son is here and now he puts on the charade of liking the Broncos, doesn't take away the fact that I had to mute my tv anytime he was commentating a game.

Lonestar
04-10-2009, 07:08 PM
This article says nothing that none of us didn't know already.

yeah your right but thought If I did not start the thread someone else would and I could not sleep at the time..

Superchop 7
04-10-2009, 10:12 PM
"first take the log out of your own eye, and then you will see clearly to take the speck out of your brother's eye".

Cugel
04-10-2009, 11:35 PM
Do you notice that every statement from McDaniels always talks about the END of the drama and never the beginning?

It's always "We didn't want to trade Cutler." Which is a complete and total lie and everybody knows it!

Why then did two different teams approach the Patriots and try to arrange a 3 way trade of a 1st round pick for Matt Cassel who would then be traded to Denver for Jay Cutler, when NEITHER of them had any interest in Matt Cassel and the Broncos were just "having discussions" and never agreed to trade Cutler, even in principle?

Are we supposed to believe it was all a 'coincidence' they both just had the same exact idea at the same time and spent all this effort to pull off a complicated 3-way trade for Matt Cassel --- and the Broncos didn't agree to even the outlines of the deal? Without knowing the Broncos would actually trade Cutler and without agreeing on compensation that would be acceptable to the Broncos?

That just doesn't even pass the laugh test! :coffee:

Apparently though, there are a lot of fans gullible enough to believe it, so it seems to have served it's purpose as a cover-up worthy of Nixon.

If Cassel hadn't been traded to KC then the Lions or Bucs would have spent much of the next 2 weeks solidifying the trade. It would have required getting Cutler's agent to agree to a new contract or report under the old one, the Broncos signing Cassel to a long-term contract to reduce his $14.6 million salary cap-hit for 2009, and the Patriots agreeing to the draft pick. And everything would have been complicated by the need for all teams to make sure that if any part of the deal fell through (Cutler holding out and refusing to report to the Lions without a new contract for instance) the other parties could back-out of the deal and the Lions wouldn't be stuck giving up their #1 pick for Matt Cassel!

It would have been a lot of work to get it ironed out.

The amazing thing is that the Jay hold-out drama has so totally obscured this reality that nobody even comments on it! It's just taken for granted.

"Yes the Broncos probably wanted to trade Cutler, but he's a big-baby for holding out!" :rolleyes:

But, of course "Satan" . . . I mean Bus Cook knew perfectly well what was going on. He knows the business and knows that there aren't "trade negotiations" about pro-bowl QBs unless the team is actively trying to deal them. He knows that other teams don't waste their time trying to pull off a complicated 3-way trade unless they have some indication the Broncos would accept the deal if they succeeded!

Logically, you would find out if the Broncos would actually make the trade BEFORE you try and get Cassel from the Patriots! If they say "maybe," then why bother?

It's like asking your girl-friend if she wants an expensive gift that's difficult to find and she says "maybe I would and maybe I wouldn't." Are you going to go to all the effort of trying to find and buy it for her? NO!

Under the circumstances, it's not surprising that Cutler concluded he's not in the Broncos future and decided not to stick around and wait to be traded later when it's more convenient to McDaniels. But, the Broncos denied everything and shifted all the blame onto Cutler for holding out.

And the fact that the Broncos entire position is just a flat obvious lie rolls off most fans like water off a duck. :coffee:

Yet, we have McDaniels statements:

1. "I Regret nothing!"
2. "Nobody's untradeable."
3. "Nobody can predict the future."

Well, that's not hard to translate:

1. "I don't regret trying to trade you. I just regret not completing the deal. THAT was embarrassing."
2. "Lots of other QBs are 'untradeable' - Drew Brees, Phillip Rivers, Eli Manning, Peyton Manning, Tom Brady, Ben Roethlisberger, Matt Ryan, Joe Flacco, Aaron Rogers, etc. You're just not one of them IMO."
3. "I'm not happy about the fact that I seem to be stuck with you for now. You're still on the block if I can find an offer that won't make me look bad. Probably next offseason in February 2010, but maybe if I get lucky, during draft week this April."

slim
04-10-2009, 11:49 PM
:wipestearfromeye:

Nomad
04-17-2009, 07:43 AM
I thought this was an interesting post from BM! Maybe some posters (Top, JR, DN etc) here who remember this back in the day can enlighten the event. I won't pretend to remember being born in 73 and I am a BRONCOS fan though I don't remember;):D!!

...... IgorBStrange

Practice Squad Join Date: Aug 2006

I Think We Will Be Surprised.....
I have seen a few postings by fans of other teams coming in to say that we will be surprised by what Orton will do here. They cite our Pro Bowl OL and our receivers like Marshall, Stokely, Royal. I for one agree.

What I do not like are the negative people who then post saying that Orton is bunk and Cutler IS a franchise QB and we will have a poor to terrible year without Cutler.

Since I love to post history lessons, let me give the negatives a quick history lesson.

In 1972, coming off another p*ss poor season under Lou Saban, new Broncos Coach John Ralston traded with the Houston Oilers for an often injured Charley Johnson. Fans whined and moaned about the trade mostly because Ralston traded our supposed "franchise" QB Don Horn. Fans railed that Horn was held back by Saban and just needed the offense to be opened up to fit his skills. Denver had a young, talented superstar to be wide receiver in Dwight Harrison who Ralston traded for an underachieving wideout named Haven Moses from Buffalo.

If you truly are a Broncos fan, you know what happened from there.

In 1977 the Broncos under new coach Robert "Red" Miller (also a former Offensive Co-Ordinator from New England) traded Steve Ramsey and a 4th round pick for Craig Morton. I remember hearing the radio talk shows being livid that Denver gave up so much for Morton who was labeled a "statue" who would be killed behind Denver's poor OL. He was also labeled a "loser" because the NY Giants were the worst team in football at the time, and Morton was their QB.

Once again, if you are truly a Broncos fan, you know what happened.

My point here being this. Give it a chance. Lightning struck twice before and may just do so again. Orton is coming into a situation that the previous two mentioned QB's would have had wet dreams of stepping into. An All-Pro OL and a set of Pro Bowl type receivers.

Would you rather have a Steve Ramsey, Steve Tensi, Matt Robinson type of QB to bank the season on?

broncfn90
04-17-2009, 08:32 AM

not only all season long... maybe for the next 10 years

roomemp
04-17-2009, 09:02 AM
I thought this was an interesting post from BM! Maybe some posters (Top, JR, DN etc) here who remember this back in the day can enlighten the event. I won't pretend to remember being born in 73 and I am a BRONCOS fan though I don't remember;):D!!

...... IgorBStrange

Practice Squad Join Date: Aug 2006

I Think We Will Be Surprised.....
I have seen a few postings by fans of other teams coming in to say that we will be surprised by what Orton will do here. They cite our Pro Bowl OL and our receivers like Marshall, Stokely, Royal. I for one agree.

What I do not like are the negative people who then post saying that Orton is bunk and Cutler IS a franchise QB and we will have a poor to terrible year without Cutler.

Since I love to post history lessons, let me give the negatives a quick history lesson.

In 1972, coming off another p*ss poor season under Lou Saban, new Broncos Coach John Ralston traded with the Houston Oilers for an often injured Charley Johnson. Fans whined and moaned about the trade mostly because Ralston traded our supposed "franchise" QB Don Horn. Fans railed that Horn was held back by Saban and just needed the offense to be opened up to fit his skills. Denver had a young, talented superstar to be wide receiver in Dwight Harrison who Ralston traded for an underachieving wideout named Haven Moses from Buffalo.

If you truly are a Broncos fan, you know what happened from there.

In 1977 the Broncos under new coach Robert "Red" Miller (also a former Offensive Co-Ordinator from New England) traded Steve Ramsey and a 4th round pick for Craig Morton. I remember hearing the radio talk shows being livid that Denver gave up so much for Morton who was labeled a "statue" who would be killed behind Denver's poor OL. He was also labeled a "loser" because the NY Giants were the worst team in football at the time, and Morton was their QB.

Once again, if you are truly a Broncos fan, you know what happened.

My point here being this. Give it a chance. Lightning struck twice before and may just do so again. Orton is coming into a situation that the previous two mentioned QB's would have had wet dreams of stepping into. An All-Pro OL and a set of Pro Bowl type receivers.

Would you rather have a Steve Ramsey, Steve Tensi, Matt Robinson type of QB to bank the season on?

Very good post. A more recent example is Plummer. He came from the Cardinals.