PDA

View Full Version : Denver Broncos Strategy and Personnel

Lonestar
04-10-2009, 02:58 AM
There has been speculation the Broncos could try to trade up in the draft for a quarterback, but the many holes on their roster could prevent that. Denver has the 12th and 18th picks, and needs more than a quarterback.

The Broncos need to land a couple of impact players on defense throughout their draft. Also, new Broncos coach Josh McDaniels has had success with quarterbacks drafted in later rounds.

TEAM NEEDS/OFFSEASON STRATEGY

The Broncos approach the draft with plenty of picks, including two in the first 18. That gives them plenty of options. They can fill a few holes with quality players.

The draft is important for the new Broncos brass, whose tenure thus far has been dominated by the drama surrounding quarterback Jay Cutler and the subsequent trade.

TEAM NEEDS

1. Defensive line: Denver would have to look long and hard at the best defensive lineman available with the 12th pick, and also with the 18th pick. The Broncos need help up front.

2. Linebacker: A playmaking linebacker would help the Broncos in a few ways. They have some talent at the position but need to add more talent and depth.

3. Quarterback: The Broncos will have an interesting decision to make on draft day. Do they move up to try to get a highly-touted quarterback of the future, or patch up other holes and see if they can find a late gem? Kyle Orton and Chris Simms will probably get the team through this season, regardless.

MEDICAL WATCH: No updates.

FRANCHISE PLAYER: None.

TRANSITION PLAYER: None.

UNRESTRICTED FREE AGENTS

--RB Tatum Bell finished the season with a good game against San Diego, but with a lot of tailbacks on the roster he is no sure bet to return.

--DE Ebenezer Ekuban played well in 2008 but it remains to be seen how he fits into the new staff's plans.

--WR Darrell Jackson didn't contribute much in 2008 and appears unlikely to return.

--S Marlon McCree didn't play in the final eight games of the season, remaining inactive even after recovering from a high ankle sprain. He doesn't appear to be in Denver's plans.

--C Tom Nalen is likely on his way to retirement after sitting out 2008 with a knee injury.

--RB Michael Pittman played pretty well before a neck injury sidelined him, but he said he feels good and wants to play in Denver again. The new coaching staff will make a decision whether to bring him back.

--WR Edell Shepherd was out all last year with a knee injury.

--LB Nate Webster started last year and played well at times. The new staff will have to decide how he fits in their defense.

UNRESTRICTED FREE AGENTS (not tendered)

--RB Andre Hall (not tendered as ERFA) has played well at times and should get a shot to make the team in training camp.

RESTRICTED FREE AGENTS: None.

EXCLUSIVE RIGHTS FREE AGENTS: None.

PLAYERS RE-SIGNED

--DL Kenny Peterson: UFA; 3 yrs, terms unknown.

--TE Jeb Putzier: UFA; 1 yr, terms unknown.

PLAYERS ACQUIRED

--RB J.J. Arrington: UFA Cardinals; $10M/4 yrs, guarantees unknown.

--RB Correll Buckhalter: UFA Eagles; 4 yrs, terms unknown.

--LB Andra Davis: UFA Browns; $5M/2 yrs, guarantees unknown.

--S Brian Dawkins: UFA Eagles; $17M/5 yrs, $7.5M guaranteed; can void to $9.5M/2 yrs.

--DT Ronald Fields: UFA 49ers; $5M/2 yrs, SB unknown.

--WR Jabar Gaffney: UFA Patriots; $10M/4 yrs, $3M guaranteed.

--CB Andre' Goodman: UFA Dolphins; $25M/5 yrs, $10M guaranteed.

--S Renaldo Hill: UFA Dolphins; $10M/4 yrs, $3M guaranteed.

--RB LaMont Jordan: UFA Patriots; $2.5M/2 yrs, guarantees unknown.

--OG Matt McChesney: FA Dolphins; terms unknown.

--QB Kyle Orton (trade Bears).

--DT J'Vonne Parker: Not tendered as ERFA by Panthers; terms unknown.

--LS Lonie Paxton: UFA Patriots; $5.38M/5 yrs, $1M SB.

--DT Darrell Reid: UFA Colts; $6.8M/3 yrs, SB unknown.

--QB Chris Simms: UFA Titans; $6M/2 yrs, $1.5M SB; 2009 cap: $2.71M.

--OG Scott Young: UFA Browns; terms unknown.

PLAYERS LOST

--RB Anthony Alridge (released).

--CB Dre' Bly (released).

--QB Jay Cutler (traded Bears).

--DE John Engelberger (released).

--QB Darrell Hackney (released).

--RB Alex Haynes (released).

--TE Nate Jackson (released).

--LB Niko Koutouvides (released).

--LS Mike Leach (released).

--S Marquand Manuel (released).

--TE Chad Mustard (released).

--CB Karl Paymah: UFA Vikings; $1.55M/1 yr.

--OT Erik Pears: Not tendered as RFA/Raiders; terms unknown.

--RB P.J. Pope (released).

--QB Patrick Ramsey: UFA Titans; 1 yr, terms unknown.

--DT Dewayne Robertson (released).

--WR Cliff Russell (released/failed physical).

--DT Josh Shaw (released).

--LB Jamie Winborn (released).

http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/4809726/Denver-Broncos-Strategy-and-Personnel?CMP=OTC-K9B140813162&ATT=5

Dirk
04-10-2009, 05:49 AM
Thanks for posting that. It's always a great way to look at where we were and where we are going into the draft.

Dirk
04-10-2009, 05:51 AM
--LB Nate Webster started last year and played well at times. The new staff will have to decide how he fits in their defense.

And that is just too funny! :lol:

Shazam!
04-10-2009, 08:25 AM
There are plenty of late options at QB. As long as Sanchez is gone I don't give a rat's ass which QB they Draft, with all the team needs they probably won't spend one of their early picks. I don't think they have to spend a 1st or even a 2nd to get a QB who can be starting material.

turftoad
04-10-2009, 09:55 AM
Thanks for posting that. It's always a great way to look at where we were and where we are going into the draft.

Yep, a look at where we're going.

DL and LB have been #1 & #2 needs all along this offseason.

Now, all the sudden, QB jumps from no need to #3 on the list. :D

I see nothing great about that at all.

CoachChaz
04-10-2009, 10:00 AM
Yep, a look at where we're going.

DL and LB have been #1 & #2 needs all along this offseason.

Now, all the sudden, QB jumps from no need to #3 on the list. :D

I see nothing great about that at all.

If Orton succeeds in this offense, it will deisappear from the list. We're stepping into an unknown and it will always raise questions. Some just cant be answered yet.

Keep in mind that everyone loves DJ and Larsen and we added Davis to the ILB core...yet everyone still thinks we need another MLB.

Lonestar
04-10-2009, 10:13 AM
If Orton succeeds in this offense, it will deisappear from the list. We're stepping into an unknown and it will always raise questions. Some just cant be answered yet.

Keep in mind that everyone loves DJ and Larsen and we added Davis to the ILB core...yet everyone still thinks we need another MLB.

NOW I have not studied the 3-4 for awhile but it seems that typically the ILB do not work in all that much space and DJ was not great as MLB the year before last I guess from what I know I have less confidence about him than you do.. Can you help me out here?

He works so much better in Space the middle/inside seems get congested..

turftoad
04-10-2009, 10:15 AM

Well it's not like we traded Patric Willis and are looking for replacements.

You and I both agree that DJ doesn't fit in the middle role. We both agree that if he's got trade value, we'd rather see him gone. So thats no biggie.

Larsen is totally unproven in the starting role. so no biggie there either.

We just traded one of the best young QB's in the league and brought in pretty average guys. Thus QB being 3rd on the list.

Yeah, if Orton does well it dissappears from the list. Lets hope QB isn't on the draft needs list next year.

Superchop 7
04-10-2009, 10:17 AM
Nate "did" play well at times.

For the other team.

Hell, he was the other teams MVP.

Lonestar
04-10-2009, 10:28 AM
Well it's not like we traded Patric Willis and are looking for replacements.

You and I both agree that DJ doesn't fit in the middle role. We both agree that if he's got trade value, we'd rather see him gone. So thats no biggie.

Larsen is totally unproven in the starting role. so no biggie there either.

We just traded one of the best young QB's in the league and brought in pretty average guys. Thus QB being 3rd on the list.

Yeah, if Orton does well it dissappears from the list. Lets hope QB isn't on the draft needs list next year.

I know lots of folks have a woody for jay but we have to realize that this uin coming scheme may not need a $100+ million QBb to run it.. It may only need a $50million type guy and be very good..

If that is the case I'd rather have that extra money applied to a steller DL..

claymore
04-10-2009, 11:01 AM
I know lots of folks have a woody for jay but we have to realize that this uin coming scheme may not need a $100+ million QBb to run it.. It may only need a $50million type guy and be very good..

Not to mention the cap space we saved this year by trading Jay, and getting Orton pays for Lonnie Paxtons new deal.

nevcraw
04-10-2009, 11:32 AM
Strategy:
1. Rid team of good players and replace with Mediocre ones

Fearless Outlook
1. Not good

I kid!!!!!!!!

jlarsiii
04-10-2009, 06:01 PM

All you see is cost. . . .how sad. I don't understand why you care about cost when you aren't the one signing the checks.

I would take the stud QB anyday. I hope just like the next fan, but I have no delusions about how hard it is to find a quality QB in this league. Sure, you can get to an AFCCG with a Plummer, but you win a super bowl with an Elway. Nuff said. . .

NameUsedBefore
04-10-2009, 06:06 PM
Summary: We're proper ****ed for a good amount of years.

The only way we get out of this mess is with an amazing draft record in the next two years.

That's the evidence for my summary, btw.

BroncoJoe
04-10-2009, 06:08 PM
Summary: We're proper ****ed for a good amount of years.

The only way we get out of this mess is with an amazing draft record in the next two years.

That's the evidence for my summary, btw.

I'll wait and see what the product looks like on the field first.

tia.

Lonestar
04-10-2009, 06:10 PM
All you see is cost. . . .how sad. I don't understand why you care about cost when you aren't the one signing the checks.

I would take the stud QB anyday. I hope just like the next fan, but I have no delusions about how hard it is to find a quality QB in this league. Sure, you can get to an AFCCG with a Plummer, but you win a super bowl with an Elway. Nuff said. . .

as a business manager I look at everything.. If I need photo copier and the one to 800 can do everything but give massages that the 1500 one can.. guess what the one with less bells and whistles is the one I buy..

It give me 700 more dollars to spend on getting up grades of other printers, computers and other things I need to make everyone job better.. and more likely hood of getting the bigger contracts to grow and expand..

If you do not need the massaging Photo copier and it will not guarantee the Lombardi why not spend that money on a RB and great NT and a All pro MLB..

You get more bang for the buck.. BY the way have you not noticed it take a team to win super bowls and for the most part offense wins games but defenses win championships..