PDA

View Full Version : Grade Our 2006 Draft

Broncospsycho77
04-09-2009, 04:20 PM
They say that it's typically appropriate to grade a team's draft about 3 years after it occurs, so let's take a look at the 2006 NFL Draft for the Broncos:

1 11(11) Jay Cutler QB Vanderbilt
2 29(61) Tony Scheffler TE W Michigan
4 22(119) Brandon Marshall WR UCF
4 29(126) Elvis Dumervil OLB Louisville
4 33(130) Domenik Hixon WR Akron
5 28(161) Chris Kuper OG North Dakota
6 29(198) Greg Eslinger C Minnesota

Grade away.

underrated29
04-09-2009, 04:24 PM
They say that it's typically appropriate to grade a team's draft about 3 years after it occurs, so let's take a look at the 2006 NFL Draft for the Broncos:

Grade away.

A+- We hit on all our picks.

Remember hixon we tried to sneak on the PS- and were surprised when the NYG took him. Kuper is a freaking stud! and Eslinger is a great backup who signed with the texans?

The first 4- i dont think needs to be explained.

shank
04-09-2009, 04:24 PM
a. we shoulda retained hixon.

Dortoh
04-09-2009, 04:38 PM
Well lets take a closer look shall we.

1 11(11) Jay Cutler QB Vanderbilt - lets see first off we have a gutless drunk qb with lack of leadership skills

2 29(61) Tony Scheffler TE W Michigan - oh nice a 2nd round china doll

4 22(119) Brandon Marshall WR UCF - A greatly talented head case who beats women and will be suspended for good portion of season then want a payday.

4 29(126) Elvis Dumervil OLB Louisville - Ah a super sack master who has suddenly become afraid of getting too close to the QB's

4 33(130) Domenik Hixon WR Akron - excellent late pickup......for the giants.

5 28(161) Chris Kuper OG North Dakota - I have actually spoken to his dad good kid

6 29(198) Greg Eslinger C Minnesota - who

D-

Great draft class I just wanted to see what it was like to be a debbie downer like many a Bronco fan these days :)

UnderArmour
04-09-2009, 04:42 PM

1 11(11) Jay Cutler QB Vanderbilt - lets see first off we have a gutless drunk qb with lack of leadership skills

4 22(119) Brandon Marshall WR UCF - A greatly talented head case who beats women and will be suspended for good portion of season then want a payday.

4 29(126) Elvis Dumervil OLB Louisville - Ah a super sack master who has suddenly become afraid of getting too close to the QB's

5 28(161) Chris Kuper OG North Dakota - I have actually spoken to his dad good kid

D-

Great draft class I just wanted to see what it was like to be a debbie downer like many a Bronco fan these days :)

Oh lol. I read your post and missed the last line. You rule.

Requiem / The Dagda
04-09-2009, 04:42 PM
A pretty epic class, extremely rare to see so many have relative success and have all of them have some sort of NFL Career entering their fourth season(s) respectively. Obviously, it is deserving of an "A" grade -- but one has to question how many of those players (who are still on our team) will be retained when they are due for new contracts at the end of the year. It's quite possible (unlikely, IMHO) that not one of those players is a Denver Bronco next season -- so how would you measure that draft as a success then? It's very unfortunate that the good players we have drafted are often not retained. Quite possibly one of the reasons we're in the situation we currently are in now. . . as far as rebuilding goes.

underrated29
04-09-2009, 04:43 PM
kupesdad- i miss that guy- he was cool.

getlynched47
04-09-2009, 04:53 PM
I can't believe we let Hixon go scott-free :tsk:

He's not special, but he's a good player

Dortoh
04-09-2009, 05:01 PM
A pretty epic class, extremely rare to see so many have relative success and have all of them have some sort of NFL Career entering their fourth season(s) respectively. Obviously, it is deserving of an "A" grade -- but one has to question how many of those players (who are still on our team) will be retained when they are due for new contracts at the end of the year. It's quite possible (unlikely, IMHO) that not one of those players is a Denver Bronco next season -- so how would you measure that draft as a success then? It's very unfortunate that the good players we have drafted are often not retained. Quite possibly one of the reasons we're in the situation we currently are in now. . . as far as rebuilding goes.

I think you have to look further down the road at that point. For example we took a #11 pick got good production from it and then turned it into a #18, a 3rd, a vet qb and a future 1st.

On down the list.

How about that for looking for a silver lining to the Cutler issue

MOtorboat
04-09-2009, 05:05 PM
A.

Great draft class. Since we decided to trade Cutler, ultimately where this draft class ends up in the annals, depends on who McDaniels/Xanders take in Round 1 this year....

underrated29
04-09-2009, 05:09 PM
We didnt let hixon go scott free. He was blowing balls on PR/KR- so we were sending him back to the PS until he was ready to step up his game...The giants didnt let him clear waivers... We were very surprised when it happened. If the giants werent doing their homework he would still be a bronco....Or atleast would have been that year.

I still am not 100% sold on him, but hey.....

getlynched47
04-09-2009, 05:12 PM
We didnt let hixon go scott free. He was blowing balls on PR/KR- so we were sending him back to the PS until he was ready to step up his game...The giants didnt let him clear waivers... We were very surprised when it happened. If the giants werent doing their homework he would still be a bronco....Or atleast would have been that year.

I still am not 100% sold on him, but hey.....

I know that. But still, the Giants got a starting Wide Receiver from a guy we were trying to put on the practice squad! :lol:

Broncolingus
04-09-2009, 05:13 PM

D-

LMFAO...great post.

B+ on the draft...wished we would've kept Hixon.

Simple Jaded
04-09-2009, 05:28 PM
.......for obvious reasons.

It's an outstanding group of players though, no doubt, and none too soon either, btw, the 1999-2005 drafts are why the Broncos find themselves in the condition they are in.......during this stretch, the Broncos were getting by on the remnants of a SB team and great coaching, and without the 06 and 08 drafts this team would really be hurtin for certin.

I'm not concerned about these players leaving the team in 2010, Marshall, Kuper, Scheffler and Dumervil all signed 4 year rookie contracts, which means they will only be eligible for restricted free agency in 2010 unless there is a new CBA in place by the end of the 09 season.......and that CBA must lower the Un-restricted Free Agency threshold back to four seasons for that to happen.

Having said that, with Doogie's sweet new offense, the switch to the 3-4 and Bowlen's new Monfort-esque approach to Ownership, it's hard to say if resigning any of these players is a priority. When all is said and done, Chris Kuper may turn out to be the only long-term contributor.

Even with this draft, few teams are faced with as much uncertainty as the Broncos are.......

FanInAZ
04-09-2009, 05:32 PM
1 11(11) Jay Cutler QB Vanderbilt - I'm not going to turn this into another Cutler thread. So all I will say is, great tallent.

2 29(61) Tony Scheffler TE W Michigan - Listed on NFL.com as 2nd string at the end of last season. Has has played in 30 games and has started 17 of them. Is a good 3rd option when he is in.

4 22(119) Brandon Marshall WR UCF - Great Tallent, I hope he does not become a permanent resident of the Commish's dog house.

4 29(126) Elvis Dumervil OLB Louisville - I was surprised to see that he actually was a passrush threat during his first two seasons when he had 21 sacks, 15 1/2 in 2007. Sack total dropped to just 5 in 2008.

4 33(130) Domenik Hixon WR Akron - Played 4 games in 1 1/4 season. His stat line FUM=1; lost=1. Then he went to the Giants where he has started 8 out of 28 game. His stat line=Not worth mentioning.

5 28(161) Chris Kuper OG North Dakota - Started all 16 games last year and 11 the year before. Can anyone explane to me why NFL.com lists him as second string as of the end of last season?

6 29(198) Greg Eslinger C Minnesota - Was on our roster in 2006 and the Browns in 2007. Never played in a game.

Assessment: Offense=A- This draft class was probable the biggest contributor to our potent O last year.
Defense=D- Was all but neglected
Overall=B- If we can draft for our D this year as we did for our O in 2006, we could be serious SB contender in 2 seasons.

OrangeHoof
04-09-2009, 07:00 PM
The 2006 Draft class deserves an A- minus for what Shanahan drafted. It's probably a C+ for what McDiapers plans to do with it, particularly if he sends Sheff or Marshall packing.

SmilinAssasSin27
04-09-2009, 07:13 PM
good players drafted...long term though, likely will have minimal impact on the franchise as a whole.

NameUsedBefore
04-09-2009, 07:17 PM
A+. Becoming irrelevant, however.

hotcarl
04-09-2009, 07:19 PM
didnt we trade a high #2 for javon walker

fail on that one, but i think it counts

Lonestar
04-09-2009, 07:21 PM

D-

Great draft class for Chicago, denver county jail, HOU and the Giants.. :)

.. until the last line, you really summed it up nicley. I fixed that for you....edited for accuracy

red98
04-09-2009, 07:52 PM
I think Greg Eslinger was signed to the Broncos practice squad in 2008. Don't know if he's
still under contract.

Oh yeah, my vote is A+ for the 2006 draft.

Superchop 7
04-09-2009, 10:26 PM
I give it a "muy bueno"

Cugel
04-09-2009, 11:10 PM
That was not only the best Broncos draft in many years if not ever, it was one of the best in the entire NFL in the last 5 years at least.

It was MUCH more of a coup to get Jay Cutler at #11 than people are making out! Regardless of him being traded (and the Broncos got 3 draft picks and a starting QB for him).

First to get Cutler several teams had to pass on him. The Denver had to have the picks to move up from #15 to #11 to get him. And then the Rams had to be willing to make a deal.

Then the Titans Fisher wanted Cutler, the owner loved Vince Young. Young it was. Young is now a head case. FAIL!

Then several teams had to pass on a QB including the Raiders who desperately needed one. Al Davis wanted to grab Cutler, but his "football people" objected. They liked S Sam Huff, who is now a disappointment. In 2007 Davis was damned if he'd be talked out of drafting a QB by his "people." Result? JaMarcus Russell is a Raider and not a successful one so far. FAIL!

Then at #10 the Arizona Cardinals had to prefer Matt Leinart over Cutler. Leinart just got benched for inconsistent play in favor of the aging Kurt Warner and might turn out to be a bust. At the least he'll sit on the bench another year or even 2 -- until Kurt decides to hang it up.

At that point it's even money they trade or release him. FAIL!

So, just to get Cutler was an amazing string of luck!

Then most 4th round WRs don't wind up being top 10 receivers in the NFL like Brandon Marshall.

Getting a promising young starting G in Chris Kuper in the 6th round is just gravy!

Tony Sheffler in the 2nd might be the only disappointment. He's been a good pass-receiving TE and was Cutler's favorite target, but McDaniels seems certain to try and trade him for a used tea-bag during the draft or soon after.

Elvis Dumervil had a double-digit sack year which is pretty good for a 4th round DL. Even if he's not resigned this off-season (likely) he exceeded his draft expectations. And if he can make the transition to 3-4 OLB that pick will be even better.

Hixon is now a great role-player for the Giants and useful WR.

All in all what's not to like?

You can't down-grade a draft because a Player become a starter for another team! That was still a great pick!

OVERALL: A+

Northman
04-09-2009, 11:17 PM
B Talent is there physically, but emotionally/mentally there is still some developement needed before he can be considered ELITE.

C Again, talent wise this guy could be a legitimate threat. If he wasnt made of glass.

B+ has a few things to work on with catching and his personal life but he has more than proved his worth overall.

B I think Elvis suffers from being in the wrong system. I really hope he gets a shot at the LB spot where i think he will excel.

D Regardless of his semi-success in NY he isnt a go to guy and that was proven last year after Plexico disappeared from the offense.

A Great player, great character.

N/A

Overall: B+

red98
04-09-2009, 11:21 PM
It still amazes me that we spent 2 1st and a 3rd to get Cutler and then after seeing what he can do we traded him for 2 1st (one a future 1st) and a third.

Oh yeah, we also traded a 5th for Kyle Orton.

getlynched47
04-09-2009, 11:22 PM
B Talent is there physically, but emotionally/mentally there is still some developement needed before he can be considered ELITE.

C Again, talent wise this guy could be a legitimate threat. If he wasnt made of glass.

B+ has a few things to work on with catching and his personal life but he has more than proved his worth overall.

B I think Elvis suffers from being in the wrong system. I really hope he gets a shot at the LB spot where i think he will excel.

D Regardless of his semi-success in NY he isnt a go to guy and that was proven last year after Plexico disappeared from the offense.

A Great player, great character.

N/A

Overall: B+

I agree about Elvis Dumervil. It's the fact that he was the only legitimate on that front 4 last season, that teams would double team Dumervil constantly, thus leading to his bad sack total. People want to ride Dumervil off, but I think he should get a shot to compete with Jarvis Moss at SOLB, whoever wins gets the job (obviously). They're good players.

Northman
04-09-2009, 11:25 PM
I agree about Elvis Dumervil. It's the fact that he was the only legitimate on that front 4 last season, that teams would double team Dumervil constantly, thus leading to his bad sack total. People want to ride Dumervil off, but I think he should get a shot to compete with Jarvis Moss at SOLB, whoever wins gets the job (obviously). They're good players.

Agreed. I think if he is put in a LB spot he can use his size and speed to really create some problems on blitzing downs. He tried his best on the line but he is really just too small for that in the long run. I love the kids tenacity though and hope we retain him and use him wisely.

Northman
04-09-2009, 11:25 PM
It still amazes me that we spent 2 1st and a 3rd to get Cutler and then after seeing what he can do we traded him for 2 1st (one a future 1st) and a third.

Oh yeah, we also traded a 5th for Kyle Orton.

Awesome isnt it!

red98
04-09-2009, 11:36 PM
Awesome isnt it!

My head spins with the thought :yardog:

Now I just want to see if McKid can get us a NT and someone to scare the opposing offense in our front 7. (linebacker, end, someone)

Or maybe a kick ass safety.

getlynched47
04-10-2009, 11:26 AM
My head spins with the thought :yardog:

Now I just want to see if McKid can get us a NT and someone to scare the opposing offense in our front 7. (linebacker, end, someone)

Or maybe a kick ass safety.

At least we have somebody at Nose Tackle just in case in Fields. We have ZERO 3-4 defensive ends. We really need to stock up on those. I know Kenny Peterson played 3-4 DE once in his career. Carlton Powell has never played 3-4 DE. That's basically what we have (don't say Tim Crowder, he's an undersized 3-4 DE, but too big to play linebacker).

As much as I dont want it, we need Tyson Jackson. He's a true 3-4 defensive end that can kick inside on passing situations as a Defensive Tackle along with Kenny Peterson.

CoachChaz
04-10-2009, 12:41 PM
At least we have somebody at Nose Tackle just in case in Fields. We have ZERO 3-4 defensive ends. We really need to stock up on those. I know Kenny Peterson played 3-4 DE once in his career. Carlton Powell has never played 3-4 DE. That's basically what we have (don't say Tim Crowder, he's an undersized 3-4 DE, but too big to play linebacker).

As much as I dont want it, we need Tyson Jackson. He's a true 3-4 defensive end that can kick inside on passing situations as a Defensive Tackle along with Kenny Peterson.

Wait until the 2nd and get Jarron Gilbert. #12 is just too high for a 3-4 DE...IMO

getlynched47
04-10-2009, 12:53 PM
Wait until the 2nd and get Jarron Gilbert. #12 is just too high for a 3-4 DE...IMO

I'd be alright with that too, but Gilbert will probably sneak his way into the first round. The guy is a phenomenal athlete and has done everything to help himself since the Combine.

3-4 Defensive Ends are very important. Tyson Jackson is the best run stuffing Defensive End for a 3-4 that's come out for a while. He could immediately help us with our run defense. He had 10.5 tackles for losses last season. That's unbelievable. It's not too high to take a guy of his calibur at 12 or 18.