PDA

View Full Version : What happens if.....

lgenf
03-20-2012, 01:49 PM
I can see the schedule for next year is a tough one, in fact the 2nd toughest in the NFL based on W/L last year

what happens if the Broncos don't make the playoffs next year?

what happens if the Broncos don't make the playoffs for the next two years?

was it worth the $$$ to get Manning at that point?

his salary is no joke and takes up CAP, CAP that may be needed to fill other holes on this team

Thnikkaman
03-20-2012, 02:25 PM
Hopefully in those two cases, we get high draft picks.

I wasn't a fan of Tebow in college, but he made me a fan with his work in Denver. I'm sad that he will be gone, and really think that this is a bad move for this team. But I must be nuts or something.

I feel like Roddy Piper in that movie "They Live"

BroncoStud
03-20-2012, 02:31 PM
I agree.

But to answer the question, if Denver fails to make the playoffs then it was a colossal mistake and a failed gamble. You don't pay a QB $100 Million to miss the playoffs.

lgenf
03-20-2012, 02:45 PM
I agree.

But to answer the question, if Denver fails to make the playoffs then it was a colossal mistake and a failed gamble. You don't pay a QB $100 Million to miss the playoffs.

that's what I mean, Manning is now the highest paid NFL player in history, it's not like he chose the Broncos cause he wanted to be a Bronco and then said, I'll take a pay cut folks, I just want to play for your team and see what we can do, that is serious money they committed to him (and if he gets hurt, I know they can opt out just like the Colts did)

I also know that all the teams were basically told the same thing, roughly 5 years and 95 mil was the deal - so it's not like if he went somewhere else that it would have been different, they would have paid the same, but the Broncos have the 2nd toughest schedule next year and that is no joke, how much heat does Elway get if this doesn't work

and by that very term "work" what is considered a success here? Is it SuperBowl or bust for the next 3 years, AFC Championship games or bust, I mean damn we were 1 game away from that this year, so to say that Manning improved the team means that they have to go to the AFC Championship game right (or further)

if that doesn't happen did the team get better with Manning?

I know the QB position got better with Manning, so anyone who thinks I am just a sad Tebois just calm down, I am really wondering with all the hype about WE GOT MANNING and our prayers are answered, and good bye Tebow and Company, what is success here?

Thnikkaman
03-20-2012, 02:50 PM
If Manning gets injured this year and he's done, he only gets $18 million.

catfish
03-20-2012, 03:48 PM
that's what I mean, Manning is now the highest paid NFL player in history, it's not like he chose the Broncos cause he wanted to be a Bronco and then said, I'll take a pay cut folks, I just want to play for your team and see what we can do, that is serious money they committed to him (and if he gets hurt, I know they can opt out just like the Colts did)

I also know that all the teams were basically told the same thing, roughly 5 years and 95 mil was the deal - so it's not like if he went somewhere else that it would have been different, they would have paid the same, but the Broncos have the 2nd toughest schedule next year and that is no joke, how much heat does Elway get if this doesn't work

and by that very term "work" what is considered a success here? Is it SuperBowl or bust for the next 3 years, AFC Championship games or bust, I mean damn we were 1 game away from that this year, so to say that Manning improved the team means that they have to go to the AFC Championship game right (or further)

if that doesn't happen did the team get better with Manning?

I know the QB position got better with Manning, so anyone who thinks I am just a sad Tebois just calm down, I am really wondering with all the hype about WE GOT MANNING and our prayers are answered, and good bye Tebow and Company, what is success here?

Denver started 2011 with 3rd ranked SOS, ended with 5th...last season was no slouch for difficulty...shouldn't be an excuse next year

lgenf
03-20-2012, 03:55 PM
If Manning gets injured this year and he's done, he only gets $18 million.

yeah, I am not talking about getting injured, no one wants that, and it was already covered in ANY deal that Manning signed

but that deal is a a lot of cheddar to give to one guy, and since the Broncos were 1 game shy of the AFC Championship this year, and now Manning is here and by everyone's account (including me) that was an upgrade at QB

what will define success? is it win a super bowl in the next three years or it was a failure?

Ravage!!!
03-20-2012, 03:58 PM
I don't think it was a mistake either way. There is NO reason to believe that Tebow would have taken us to the playoffs if Manning doesn't. That would be just pure speculation. Being that Its pretty well accepted that Manning is the better QB, then Manning gives us the better chances/odds of going to the playoffs. You spend money to give your team the BEST chances possible. Thats what the Broncos did, give us the best chance possible. If you still don't make it, thats no different than every team in the NFL that doesn't make the playoffs.

Teams that make the Super Bowl, often don't make the playoffs the next year. It doesn't mean that they make huge mistakes in personnel. It means it just didn't happen.

NightTrainLayne
03-20-2012, 04:01 PM
Listen. . ..er read. .. .

You miss 100% of the shots you don't take. Elway et al are taking a risk. There are no guarantees in life. But they are taking a risk on making a Super Bowl run.

I can't fault them a bit. If it fails, it fails, but I feel like they are doing everything they can to bring us another Lombardi.

vandammage13
03-20-2012, 04:06 PM
I don't think it was a mistake either way. There is NO reason to believe that Tebow would have taken us to the playoffs if Manning doesn't. That would be just pure speculation. Being that Its pretty well accepted that Manning is the better QB, then Manning gives us the better chances/odds of going to the playoffs. You spend money to give your team the BEST chances possible. Thats what the Broncos did, give us the best chance possible. If you still don't make it, thats no different than every team in the NFL that doesn't make the playoffs.

Teams that make the Super Bowl, often don't make the playoffs the next year. It doesn't mean that they make huge mistakes in personnel. It means it just didn't happen.

I was always under the impression that Orton gave us the best chance...:laugh:

BigDaddyBronco
03-20-2012, 04:07 PM
If they fail, they fail. It's not my money. An organization has to take risks when they don't have a nice system in place and hit on most of their draft picks. I would only be pissed if Tebow turns into a HOFer after Elway cuts him or trades him for nothing. Seems like he could stay on the roster if they can't get a decent pick or player out of someone. We should know how that turns out in a few years.

SOCALORADO.
03-20-2012, 04:09 PM

vandammage13
03-20-2012, 04:11 PM

You miss 100% of the shots you don't take. Elway et al are taking a risk. There are no guarantees in life. But they are taking a risk on making a Super Bowl run.

I can't fault them a bit. If it fails, it fails, but I feel like they are doing everything they can to bring us another Lombardi.

I agree that it's worth a shot, but if it doesn't work, Elway and Co. SHOULD be held accountable...All GM's are judged based on their transactions and Elway shouldn't be immune to this.

Everyone knows the risks involving Manning, just as everyone knows the potential boom with him.

If Manning gets injured Elway should be held accountable for bringing in a high-paid guy who is coming of 4 neck surgeries...He should also get credit for bringing Manning in if we win it all.

To think they should get a pass because they gave it their best shot is absurd...If all you had to do was give your best shot Tebow would still be the QB.

dogfish
03-20-2012, 04:55 PM

yes. . . this. . .

every single move you make is a calculated risk of one sort or another. . . i'm glad our FO had the cajones to play for big stakes. . . the goal justifies the approach. . .

chazoe60
03-20-2012, 05:01 PM
You can't win a poker game by folding.

dogfish
03-20-2012, 05:02 PM
If they fail, they fail. It's not my money. An organization has to take risks when they don't have a nice system in place and hit on most of their draft picks. I would only be pissed if Tebow turns into a HOFer after Elway cuts him or trades him for nothing. Seems like he could stay on the roster if they can't get a decent pick or player out of someone. We should know how that turns out in a few years.

again, agreed. . .

but let's be honest-- the dumb-ass tebowners have no one to blame but themselves. . . if their guy does get shipped, it's because of the distraction THEY create-- not because of cost, or anything to do with tim himself. . . accuracy issues or not, i'd think almost any team would take a developmental young backup with his intangibles and sub-package value, and a reasonable contract. . .

the broncos fans and organization will get cheated out of a valuable young player (whether you see him as a long term starting QB or not), and we'll most likely have to give him away on the cheap. . . and tim himself clearly isn't getting a good deal out of it. . . the tebaggers have caused the situation, and you know they'll still be the ones to wail about it the loudest when it happens-- and everyone else gets hosed because of their behavior, including their idol himself. . .

TT15Superman
03-20-2012, 05:08 PM
You can't win a poker game by folding.Actually, you can't win a poker HAND by folding, but you can win a poker GAME by folding the losing hands and saving your cash to play another hand with a big pot. Going "all in" on a questionable hand is a sure fire bet at going home with your tail between your legs.

but let's be honest-- the dumb-ass tebowners have no one to blame but themselves. . . if their guy does get shipped, it's because of the distraction THEY create-- not because of cost, or anything to do with tim himself. . . accuracy issues or not, i'd think almost any team would take a developmental young backup with his intangibles and sub-package value, and a reasonable contract. . . Please. The REAL reason Tebow is leaving is because Elway doesn't think he is the QB for him. It has nothing to do with Tebow supporters. If Tebow were a more conventional QB with rough edges, he'd be sitting behind Manning, Tebow-fans or no Tebow-fans. Quinn and Kyle saw the writing and left because of it. Now, Tebow sees the writing and will leave just the same regardless of whether Elway wanted to trade him or not.

blamkin86
03-20-2012, 05:32 PM
I don't get threads like this one. Sorry, I just don't. We're all in with Manning. If he sucks, we'll trade him. I seriously do not see that happening. But it might.

I'm not sure what you're expecting to get if he sucks. I think you're just mad we got him.

dogfish
03-21-2012, 10:09 AM
Please. The REAL reason Tebow is leaving is because Elway doesn't think he is the QB for him. It has nothing to do with Tebow supporters. If Tebow were a more conventional QB with rough edges, he'd be sitting behind Manning, Tebow-fans or no Tebow-fans. Quinn and Kyle saw the writing and left because of it. Now, Tebow sees the writing and will leave just the same regardless of whether Elway wanted to trade him or not.

uhhh, no. . . but tell yourself whatever helps you sleep better at night. . .

maybe you guys can learn a lesson, and not get the poor kid run out of whatever town he gets shipped to next. . .

vandammage13
03-21-2012, 11:12 AM
again, agreed. . .

but let's be honest-- the dumb-ass tebowners have no one to blame but themselves. . . if their guy does get shipped, it's because of the distraction THEY create-- not because of cost, or anything to do with tim himself. . . accuracy issues or not, i'd think almost any team would take a developmental young backup with his intangibles and sub-package value, and a reasonable contract. . .

the broncos fans and organization will get cheated out of a valuable young player (whether you see him as a long term starting QB or not), and we'll most likely have to give him away on the cheap. . . and tim himself clearly isn't getting a good deal out of it. . . the tebaggers have caused the situation, and you know they'll still be the ones to wail about it the loudest when it happens-- and everyone else gets hosed because of their behavior, including their idol himself. . .

Please...The "Teabaggers" role is highly exaggerated by the media.

What say do they have? Do you actually think this legion of Tebow fans moved to Denver to go to every game and boo Orton and chant Tim's name?

Those were Bronco fans doing that..Sure, you have some people that just follow tebow because of his religious convictions and not football, but how loud is their voice really?

That billboard?...A Denver sports merchandise store that was around well before Tebow came to town.

A few guys on MB's does not constitute some legion of Tebowites so strong that it forces the hands of an NFL organization.

Again...It was DENVER fans fed up with losing that were demanding Tebow...It was DENVER fans chanting Tebow's name, and it was DENVER fans demanding change...the amount of people that buy into this crap about some invisible hand of Tebow fans being illogical extremists forcing whatever team he is on to play him is laughable.

Tebow is being moved out of town because EFX doesn't think he's a good QB, not because of these so called "religious extremist Tebowites" holding the franchise hostage.

Rex
03-21-2012, 11:15 AM
Hey Lugnut......Dont the door hit you in the vagina on the way out Teboi

silkamilkamonico
03-21-2012, 11:17 AM
Denver better make the playoffs next year. I nfact with getting a guy like Manning i will expect at least 1 playoff win.

If Denver doesn't make the playoffs next year, it will be glaring show of incompetence of this organization to actually field a co0mpetitive team on the field.

I mean seriously, how many f'n years do they need?

BigDaddyBronco
03-21-2012, 11:19 AM
Denver better make the playoffs next year. I nfact with getting a guy like Manning i will expect at least 1 playoff win.

If Denver doesn't make the playoffs next year, it will be glaring show of incompetence of this organization to actually field a co0mpetitive team on the field.

Especialy when you have a HOF QB. No excuses.

lgenf
03-21-2012, 11:24 AM

that's my point - the team did XYZ this year, and with everyone agreeing that the QB position just improved 10x fold at least, then what is the expectations for the team and what is considered a failure?

Thnikkaman
03-22-2012, 08:22 AM
I think Beef may have an idea. (http://www.broncosforums.com/forums/entry.php/13-Beef-and-Hoes-show-2012-The-Peyton-Manning-edition)

Northman
03-22-2012, 09:07 AM
Hmmm, what happens if we dont make the playoffs. Well, the Broncos have missed the playoffs before so i will probably just keep being a fan because ive been a Bronco fan for 30 years. In the game of football nothing is ever guaranteed no matter who your players are. Colossol mistake? LMAO If people think signing manning is the worst that Denver could do they havent been paying attention to this team the last decade or so. The Broncos have plenty of blunders over the years so if Manning fails he fails. But, i wont regret their decision because its clear they wanted to win and win with a QB who will be going to the HOF. At least i can say they were trying to win.

Northman
03-22-2012, 09:09 AM
I don't get threads like this one. Sorry, I just don't. We're all in with Manning. If he sucks, we'll trade him. I seriously do not see that happening. But it might.

I'm not sure what you're expecting to get if he sucks. I think you're just mad we got him.

Was it that obvious?

G_Money
03-22-2012, 09:27 AM
What happens if we don't make the playoffs?

Then those of us who feel the Broncos are undertalented and incredibly shallow at most positions will keep saying what we've been saying: Add better players to this team.

If Manning by himself is worth 12 wins to a marginally talented team then you'd think it wouldn't be that hard to add enough talent around him to win the West and make a playoff run. If it IS that hard then we're doing something wrong, especially since there are plenty of talented people available in FA and the draft.

If we don't make the playoffs, fire Xanders. :cool:

~G

silkamilkamonico
03-22-2012, 09:40 AM
We made the playoffs with the youngest offense in the NFL.

I disagree with Tebow being our future as the next Broncos fan, but if you are going to replace that you better at least have similiar results, especially when your assuming to replace him with someone who will be better.

I agree with the move to go with Manning, how can you not..but yes, there are specific expectations IMO, and anything less is egg in the face. Especially for an organization that seemingly hasn't been able to figure anything out in the last 14 years.

claymore
03-22-2012, 09:43 AM
I agree that it's worth a shot, but if it doesn't work, Elway and Co. SHOULD be held accountable...All GM's are judged based on their transactions and Elway shouldn't be immune to this.

Everyone knows the risks involving Manning, just as everyone knows the potential boom with him.

If Manning gets injured Elway should be held accountable for bringing in a high-paid guy who is coming of 4 neck surgeries...He should also get credit for bringing Manning in if we win it all.

To think they should get a pass because they gave it their best shot is absurd...If all you had to do was give your best shot Tebow would still be the QB.

According to EFX, and common sense... Tebow was more of an injury risk than Manning. EFX will be held accountable for the W/L column. In the end, I think (know) that they, as well as most logical people think that Manning at QB was better for the Broncos than Tebow @ QB.

Sanchez isnt a very good QB. I can almost guarentee Tebow wont beat him out in TC. Tebow is not a good QB at this point, and to much of a distraction to an organization where winning decisevly is the #1 goal.

Northman
03-22-2012, 09:46 AM
I wish Shanny and Washington would of offered us 3 1st round draft picks for Tebow.

TXBRONC
03-22-2012, 09:56 AM
I disagree. It will go down as colossal mistake if Manning doesn't win for whatever reason or he just can't stay healthy. He's being paid all that money to get us the Super Bowl.

Northman
03-22-2012, 09:58 AM
I disagree. It will go down as colossal mistake if Manning doesn't win for whatever reason or he just can't stay healthy. He's being paid all that money to get us the Super Bowl.

I disagree with your disagree. We werent going to get there with Teebs anyway. At least with Manning we are actually trying.

silkamilkamonico
03-22-2012, 10:00 AM

On top of that, this organization hasn't been able to sustain anything of significance since the last century. We have backpedaled from SuperBowl champions and playoff mainstays, to a couple playoff appearances resulting in blowout playoff losses, to a playoff showing few and far between, to making changes at the most important position the year after the playoff showing and then not building any success from it.

Figure it out already Denver!

Ravage!!!
03-22-2012, 10:46 AM
I disagree with your disagree. We werent going to get there with Teebs anyway. At least with Manning we are actually trying.

This is how I see it as well. The FO just put the main piece in hand. That doesn't mean thats a guarantee, but as Elway stated when he first took over the job, that he wanted everyone in the locker room to know that the coaches will do what they can to give the team the BEST chance to win. Putting a QB like Manning behind center gives us the better chance, but that doesn't mean I would consider it a "colossal" failure if we dont' make it. Just like when we drafted Cutler, I was glad the organization was making moves to get better at the most important position in sports. Same with this.