PDA

View Full Version : Is it just me or ...

rjent
03-20-2012, 01:27 PM
does anyone else feel, what, cheap?

I have been a fan since the first game. I was a fan during the 60's, the 70's, finally earned a SB birth which we lost with Morton and Red Miller busting their asses, then the Reeves era starts with Elway and the incredible and entertaining up and down ride that was until John retired.

Now it just feels like we are buying instant gratification. We are buying a hooker to make us feel good, but it won't last long, but that is all right because we feel good now.

Personally, I don't like the feeling .... I could expand, but there it is.

Just one old man's opinion ....

:)

CoachChaz
03-20-2012, 01:30 PM
By that rationale would you feel the same if we had signed Vincent Jackson and Carl Nicks to huge contracts? My guess is no. So why is it different when it's one of the best QB to play the game in the last 15 years?

MileHighCrew
03-20-2012, 01:34 PM
Not at all, an incredible asset became available and the Broncos made the big move to obtain that asset. I am a very proud Broncos fan today and after the past few years, we deserve this day

Foochacho
03-20-2012, 01:35 PM
I feel proud. Our organization went out and got something done. Surprised more teams didn't get in the mix. Peyton Manning is better than Flacco. Baltimore probably should of got in the mix.

SpringsBroncoFan
03-20-2012, 01:38 PM
Don't worry, we will buy another hooker so it will be double the fun! :shocked: Uh, not that I have any experience there... :rolleyes:

vandammage13
03-20-2012, 01:38 PM

I have been a fan since the first game. I was a fan during the 60's, the 70's, finally earned a SB birth which we lost with Morton and Red Miller busting their asses, then the Reeves era starts with Elway and the incredible and entertaining up and down ride that was until John retired.

Now it just feels like we are buying instant gratification. We are buying a hooker to make us feel good, but it won't last long, but that is all right because we feel good now.

You aren't alone...I heard Bill Romanowski say he felt like it was the Yankees trying to buy a championship.

I don't know if I totally agree with that, but I do have my concerns about placing our bets on a guy who didn't play a down last year...

BroncoJoe
03-20-2012, 01:40 PM
It is a bitter-sweet moment for me as well. Happy Manning is here, but even if we win it all, it will be a Manning Superbowl win more than a Broncos SB win. Manning is and always will be remembered as a Colt.

chazoe60
03-20-2012, 01:40 PM
Like MHC said, it's a proud day for Bronco Country. Think of it this way: The biggest FA in history chose the Denver Broncos. Free Agency is the only situation where players choose the team not the other way around. It used to be there was no way in which a Player could choose his team.

Peyton Manning is one of the biggest stars in the history of this sport. He is not only endlessly marketable off field(commercials out the wazoo) but equally as talented and respected on the field, and this Titan(<----see what I did there?) of the sporting world chose our beloved Denver Broncos. He could have gone to any number of teams but he chose the one we love, no reason at all to feel bad brother.

topscribe
03-20-2012, 01:43 PM

I have been a fan since the first game. 9 September 1960. I was a fan during the 60's, the 70's, finally earned a SB birth which we lost with Morton and Red Miller busting their asses, then the Reeves era starts with Elway and the incredible and entertaining up and down ride that was until John retired.

That first game. Denver Broncos 13, Boston Patriots 10. They didn't recover all the bodies until the blood had subsided to ankle level.

Anyway, Morton was a transplant, too. Remember? And the Broncos couldn't sniff the playoffs until he was brought in.

I don't see much difference now. Other than money . . .

CoachChaz
03-20-2012, 01:44 PM
Don't worry, we will buy another hooker so it will be double the fun! :shocked: Uh, not that I have any experience there... :rolleyes:

Yeah...me neither

vandammage13
03-20-2012, 01:45 PM
That first game. Denver Broncos 13, Boston Patriots 10. They didn't recover all the bodies until the blood had subsided to ankle level.

Anyway, Morton was a transplant, too. Remember? And the Broncos couldn't sniff the playoffs until he was brought in.

Well one big difference between then and now is not only did we "sniff the playoffs" last year, we made it to the 2nd round.

aberdien
03-20-2012, 02:03 PM
I'm satisfied with it. I would've been fine with Tebow too, but this is the football business. Everybody buys their championships. I don't know if Manning/we can do it, but regardless i'm happy that we have a player that will at least force our team to progress.

claymore
03-20-2012, 02:17 PM

Using the same analogy, I feel like we had sex with McD. Got the clap (Tebow). Now we are taken our penecilin (Manning) to get better. So happy about this!!!!!1

claymore
03-20-2012, 02:17 PM
Yeah...me neither

:cricket:

slim
03-20-2012, 02:18 PM
Using the same analogy, I feel like we had sex with McD. Got the clap (Tebow). Now we are taken our penecilin (Manning) to get better. So happy about this!!!!!1

You are such a douche...but a funny douche.

:lol:

rjent
03-20-2012, 02:29 PM

That is just wrong on so many levels. :lol:

OK, I guess I am just bummed about Tebow. I think, if given a chance, he is going to make us look foolish and if he had stayed, we would have earned (<get it :D) another shot. Maybe I am getting too old for this shit .... :shocked: :lol:

Maybe I should start watching golf or something ...

claymore
03-20-2012, 02:31 PM
That is just wrong LOL on so many levels.

OK, I guess I am just bummed about Tebow. I think, if given a chance, he is going to make us look foolish and if he had stayed, we would have earned (<get it :D) another shot. Maybe I am getting too old for this shit .... :shocked: :lol:

Maybe I should start watching golf or something, you know, a non team effort ...

I feel for ya'll, I really do. I was bummed about cutler, i never saw what you guy did in Tebow. I need to be more sympathetic.

slim
03-20-2012, 02:33 PM
I feel for ya'll, I really do. I was bummed about cutler, i never saw what you guy did in Tebow. I need to be more sympathetic.

No one was too sympathetic to your cause....so I wouldn't worry too much about it.

claymore
03-20-2012, 02:35 PM
No one was too sympathetic to your cause....so I wouldn't worry too much about it.

Yeah, it could be worse. We could be replacing Tebow with Orton!!!

rjent
03-20-2012, 02:36 PM

So was I and look what happened .... :lol:

BroncoStud
03-20-2012, 02:39 PM
I was bummed about Cutler, furious that we signed Orton, and now I'm bummed about Tebow.

I understand the move but it makes this whole thing bittersweet. Last year was so much fun. Every week was a game to remember. The Broncos became relevant again.

I would enjoy this so much more if we weren't replacing a QB I believed in. Many may not believe in him but I do, the way he handled games and pressure was unreal, and certainly not common.

It feels kinda "dirty" to me for some reason. But it gets Elway out of the mess McDaniels left him, so I understand the move.

claymore
03-20-2012, 02:39 PM
So was I and look what happened .... :lol:

I think we are way better off. The Duke is in charge now, and he aint BS'ing around... Kick'in ass and taking names.

claymore
03-20-2012, 02:42 PM
I was bummed about Cutler, furious that we signed Orton, and now I'm bummed about Tebow.

I understand the move but it makes this whole thing bittersweet. Last year was so much fun. Every week was a game to remember. The Broncos became relevant again.

I would enjoy this so much more if we weren't replacing a QB I believed in. Many may not believe in him but I do, the way he handled games and pressure was unreal, and certainly not common.

It feels kinda "dirty" to me for some reason. But it gets Elway out of the mess McDaniels left him, so I understand the move.

Cauterizing the wound hurts, but it stops the bleeding. Love you stud. :hugs:

rjent
03-20-2012, 02:45 PM
I think we are way better off. The Duke is in charge now, and he aint BS'ing around... Kick'in ass and taking names.

Well .... all I have seen him do so far is taking names :coffee:

Contrary to popular belief, we haven't won shit yet, much less kicked any ass. We will see.

BTW, don't get me wrong, Peyton is our QB and I am behind him 100% :2thumbs:

Dzone
03-20-2012, 02:46 PM
No different than getting Ray Bourque and winning a Stanley Cup. That was freakin awesome!!!!!!!

rjent
03-20-2012, 02:48 PM
No different than getting Ray Bourque and winning a Stanley Cup

Is that anything like the Piston Cup ..... :confused:

claymore
03-20-2012, 02:53 PM
If Tebow is any good, or viewd in a positive light around the league, we will have teams crawiling all over us to trade for a high draft pick.

catfish
03-20-2012, 03:43 PM
If Tebow is any good, or viewd in a positive light around the league, we will have teams crawiling all over us to trade for a high draft pick.

when it is common rumored you are going to cut a guy if you can't trade him you aren't going to get a high pick. Word is 6 teams have contacted the broncos, so there is interest, possibly enough to get up to a 4th

silkamilkamonico
03-20-2012, 03:45 PM
This is the way to go.

This organziation has shown nothing but failure in actually "building" anything.

BigDaddyBronco
03-20-2012, 03:50 PM
I am pretty excited about the playoff opportunities the next few years. Then I feel like we will have several years like the post-Elway era. That will suck. Hopefully that is 4 or 5 years from now and we have another SB to celebrate.

Simple Jaded
03-20-2012, 05:28 PM
Thoroughly ridiculous. If Denver went out and spent the same amount of money on surrounding Tebow with ProBowlers this thread would be a ****in circle-jerk. I guess the instant gratification is perfectly fine if it means Tim Tebow is the one who gets all the gratification.

Pathetic.......

Simple Jaded
03-20-2012, 05:34 PM

Yeah but Morton didn't supplant the most overrated QB in NFL history, that's the only difference.......

rjent
03-20-2012, 05:45 PM
Thoroughly ridiculous. If Denver went out and spent the same amount of money on surrounding Tebow with ProBowlers this thread would be a ****in circle-jerk. I guess the instant gratification is perfectly fine if it means Tim Tebow is the one who gets all the gratification.

Pathetic.......

You were raised by wolves .... weren't you .... :(

Simple Jaded
03-20-2012, 05:54 PM
You were raised by wolves .... weren't you .... :(

Look, l'm sorry, l went through the same thing with Cutler. But this is not even remotely close to that, the worst passer in the entire league is being replaced by one of the best passers in league history. Look at it this way, if they signed Vincent Jackson, DeSean Jackson and Mike Wallace you'd be signing an entirely different tune.

Forgive me, l'm just completely astonished that anybody would struggle with this one.......

rjent
03-20-2012, 06:01 PM
Look, l'm sorry, l went through the same thing with Cutler. But this is not even remotely close to that, the worst passer in the entire league is being replaced by one of the best passers in league history. Look at it this way, if they signed Vincent Jackson, DeSean Jackson and Mike Wallace you'd be signing an entirely different tune.

Forgive me, l'm just completely astonished that anybody would struggle with this one.......

Well, I am just as astonished that some can't see Tebow potential. But we are never going to agree, so I will accept your vitrol as passion and move on .... :2thumbs:

Simple Jaded
03-20-2012, 06:16 PM
Well, I am just as astonished that some can't see Tebow potential. But we are never going to agree, so I will accept your vitrol as passion and move on .... :2thumbs:

Agree to disagree, because you're right; I will never unerstand what the big deal is. l said when he was drafted that Tebow was Bradlee Van Pelt with Jake Delhomme intangibles. And that's exactly what he's been, he was BVP for 57 minutes and Delhomme for 3 minutes.......

Justincredible
03-20-2012, 06:36 PM
Don't you feel like Elway took the easy way out?? am I a tebow crazy fan no, But Tim Tebow put unity back into this team. I have been a dedicated bronco fan since I was 8 yrs old. I stood by this team through the crap. Tebow has great potential. And for being thrown in as a starter last session he put the team in team. all of sudden the broncos were great not because of one player making all the plays but the whole team. I like fox, hes beefed up our defense alot. The team was coming together. I don't like the one man show team" example the colts 2-14 last year. why because mr. manning got hurt and thats all the colts had in there corner was a one player. Same thing with the Steelers Roethlisburger gets hurt and bam all of a sudden the team had a bad year. So the question is would you rather have a Team build to greatness that can work together and not fall apart when one player goes down. Or have a One man show of a quarter back doing all the work but oops someone hits him and hes out for a season again. I feel elway didnt make a good choice. Tebow is not the second coming of god, but who ever gets him hes gonna be great and We are S.O.L when we're up against him.

claymore
03-20-2012, 06:42 PM
Don't you feel like Elway took the easy way out?? am I a tebow crazy fan no, But Tim Tebow put unity back into this team. I have been a dedicated bronco fan since I was 8 yrs old. I stood by this team through the crap. Tebow has great potential. And for being thrown in as a starter last session he put the team in team. all of sudden the broncos were great not because of one player making all the plays but the whole team. I like fox, hes beefed up our defense alot. The team was coming together. I don't like the one man show team" example the colts 2-14 last year. why because mr. manning got hurt and thats all the colts had in there corner was a one player. Same thing with the Steelers Roethlisburger gets hurt and bam all of a sudden the team had a bad year. So the question is would you rather have a Team build to greatness that can work together and not fall apart when one player goes down. Or have a One man show of a quarter back doing all the work but oops someone hits him and hes out for a season again. I feel elway didnt make a good choice. Tebow is not the second coming of god, but who ever gets him hes gonna be great and We are S.O.L when we're up against him.

You lose any of the top 5 QB's and your draft choice is going to be signifigantly higher. If you can upgrade your talent at any position with a HOF'er, maybe the GOAT, you do it. Unless you have a Brees, Brady, Manning or even Aron Rodgers. I do not see the potential in Tebow,. He has a long, long way to go, just to be mediocre. And the Rah, rah leadership style wont last when your losing.

tomjonesrocks
03-20-2012, 06:47 PM

******* hilarious, Claymore...

Dzone
03-20-2012, 06:50 PM
How many playoff games did Cutler win as a Bronco?
Oh but its ok to be sad about Cutler leaving, but somehow people arent supposed to feel sad about losing Tebow.
Pathetic how condescending and judgmental some people can be.

Justincredible
03-20-2012, 06:55 PM
agreed, he did way better then cutler. he could hit the broad side of a barn he was so bad. But everyone was cheering tebow on when we were winning, but whatever they want a gimmie let them have it. I hate manning always have always will.

Simple Jaded
03-20-2012, 07:00 PM
How many playoff games did Cutler win as a Bronco?
Oh but its ok to be sad about Cutler leaving, but somehow people arent supposed to feel sad about losing Tebow.
Pathetic how condescending and judgmental some people can be.

Cutler can actually play QB and was traded for what amounted to jack shit, Tebow can't play QB and was replaced by a HoF QB who has multiple playoffs wins. If a playoff win is all you look for in a QB than the Broncos could have replaced Tebow with Rex Grossman and still be better off. This has nothing to do with that playoff win, it has everything to do with Tebow as a person.......

Krugan
03-20-2012, 07:20 PM
did they bring 18 out of retirement?

Justincredible
03-20-2012, 07:20 PM
Alright but what happens when mr. manning gets hurts again. Hes too high risk. I don't care that hes a HOF QB. I love the broncos because its a good wholesome team. This can either go really good or really bad. I guess my hopes for this coming year was that the broncos would be more fine tuned and come together as a great team. But now I don't know. Are we going to be amazing because one man? or one Team?

HORSEPOWER 56
03-20-2012, 07:21 PM
did they bring 18 out of retirement?

Yes, according to Manning, he spoke with Frank Tripucka personally over the phone this morning and Frank gave him his blessing to wear #18.

achjad
03-20-2012, 07:22 PM
It is a bitter-sweet moment for me as well. Happy Manning is here, but even if we win it all, it will be a Manning Superbowl win more than a Broncos SB win. Manning is and always will be remembered as a Colt.

While this is true, Manning will be here for 5 years. I think it will be more discussed as being Manning's 2nd ring rather than a broncos ring, but I think if Manning has a successful run here he will be remembered for even playing here too.

Justincredible
03-20-2012, 07:26 PM
This is exactly what am I talking about. its gonna be a manning win not a bronco win. I want my broncos to win because of there hard work and dedication not because of some over paid colt HOF QB that got hurt and they didn't want to pay him anymore. Manning will never be a true bronco. I feel like we cashed in for the devil. In my eyes this is a sad day in football

wayninja
03-20-2012, 07:37 PM
Yep, it feels like a sell out of sorts. I'm used to rooting against Manning, not for him. It's going to be strange.

I mean, if all I cared about was 'assets' and not the players pedigree as a bronco, I'd just build a fantasy team and be a fan of it.

If we win a superbowl or two, I'm sure the sentimentality will fade.

Rick
03-20-2012, 07:58 PM
I liked Tebow's possibilities as much as the next guy but fact remains he is not there yet, Manning is.

People will get over the fact that Manning played 14 years in Indy if he is out there throwing touch downs and we are winning games. No one will give a shit what so ever that he use to be a Colt.

The Nuggets did the same thing in past years with the trade for Iverson. It didn't = a championship but i don't remember anyone being upset and cheated because he spent most of his career in Philly.

No one bitched when Patrick Roy came to the Avs, I remember all of us Avs fans being completely stoked to be getting a player of his caliber.How about Ray Bourque? I don't remember us Avs fans caring what so ever that he was a Bruin his whole career, we just enjoyed the fact that he helped our Avs win the cup.

Manning is a great player that our team will use as a tool to attempt another trophy for the DENVER BRONCOS.

0 reason to feel cheap, it is just another piece of the puzzle and a very large one.

Justincredible
03-20-2012, 08:25 PM
I liked Tebow's possibilities as much as the next guy but fact remains he is not there yet, Manning is.

People will get over the fact that Manning played 14 years in Indy if he is out there throwing touch downs and we are winning games. No one will give a shit what so ever that he use to be a Colt.

The Nuggets did the same thing in past years with the trade for Iverson. It didn't = a championship but i don't remember anyone being upset and cheated because he spent most of his career in Philly.

No one bitched when Patrick Roy came to the Avs, I remember all of us Avs fans being completely stoked to be getting a player of his caliber.How about Ray Bourque? I don't remember us Avs fans caring what so ever that he was a Bruin his whole career, we just enjoyed the fact that he helped our Avs win the cup.

Manning is a great player that our team will use as a tool to attempt another trophy for the DENVER BRONCOS.

0 reason to feel cheap, it is just another piece of the puzzle and a very large one.

Im on the fence because look at it this way. If we start winning games are we happy fans that our team is winning? or is it manning winning? I was excited for this coming year to see what the broncos could do as a team. TEAM no just manning. So are we winning because the broncos are working hard as one? or are they hardly working because its a one man show? I guess im the fan that likes to see there team come to greatness not, hey heres a HOF hes gonna fix everything for you. Wheres your faith in your coach? Its like elway is giving up on fox to do his job and coach.Its like these men expect to have a player be an all star in his first year starting. Isnt that what the off season is for training and practice and coming together as a team???? But they gave up on a great player. tebow got the broncos far as a TEAM, they rose to the occasion. would it be awesome if tewbow stayed and learned form manning yes yes. that would be amazing because you would have a great player passing on his knowledge and making it worth 96million dollars. I just dont see this working.

Simple Jaded
03-20-2012, 08:33 PM
Im on the fence because look at it this way. If we start winning games are we happy fans that our team is winning? or is it manning winning? I was excited for this coming year to see what the broncos could do as a team. TEAM no just manning. So are we winning because the broncos are working hard as one? or are they hardly working because its a one man show? I guess im the fan that likes to see there team come to greatness not, hey heres a HOF hes gonna fix everything for you. Wheres your faith in your coach? Its like elway is giving up on fox to do his job and coach.Its like these men expect to have a player be an all star in his first year starting. Isnt that what the off season is for training and practice and coming together as a team???? But they gave up on a great player. tebow got the broncos far as a TEAM, they rose to the occasion. would it be awesome if tewbow stayed and learned form manning yes yes. that would be amazing because you would have a great player passing on his knowledge and making it worth 96million dollars. I just dont see this working.

Who do ya think you're kidding? You're not upset because the Broncos supposedly moved away from the team concept. If Tebow turned out to be the Next Peyton Manning you'd hardly come here talking about how Denver has to get rid of him to show more faith in "team" and "coach". This is about Tim Tebow and your feelings about Tim Tebow.......

Krugan
03-20-2012, 09:07 PM
Yes, according to Manning, he spoke with Frank Tripucka personally over the phone this morning and Frank gave him his blessing to wear #18.

Nice sentiment from frank, but I dont agree with this.

His number was put away, it shouldnt come back out. Maybe im being hypersensitive, but I dont like it.

Dzone
03-20-2012, 09:22 PM
National radio sports talk is ripping Elway. People love Tebow and think he is being treated like crap.
Jay Glazer is telling people to pick D Thomas for fantasy because he is going to have a monster season with Manning

Denver Native (Carol)
03-20-2012, 09:37 PM
I like Tebow just as much as anyone on here does. However, I also understand if we do not keep him. You can not have a starter and a backup with such different styles, that you need to totally change the offensive game plan in a second, if the starter goes down.

Also, Manning said today that Champ Bailey and Elvis Dumervil had been blowing up his cell phone with messages, before he made the decision to come here. This is not just about Manning - it gives every player on the Broncos hope for a possible SB win. And I don't feel that it will be just a Manning SB victory if the Broncos get one with him - he does not play defense, special teams, etc.

I listened to a lot of the national coverage today, and they said with Manning here, top free agents will be more willing to come here.

HORSEPOWER 56
03-20-2012, 09:49 PM
I like Tebow just as much as anyone on here does. However, I also understand if we do not keep him. You can not have a starter and a backup with such different styles, that you need to totally change the offensive game plan in a second, if the starter goes down.

Also, Manning said today that Champ Bailey and Elvis Dumervil had been blowing up his cell phone with messages, before he made the decision to come here. This is not just about Manning - it gives every player on the Broncos hope for a possible SB win. And I don't feel that it will be just a Manning SB victory if the Broncos get one with him - he does not play defense, special teams, etc.

I listened to a lot of the national coverage today, and they said with Manning here, top free agents will be more willing to come here.

It's kinda a raw deal for Tebow for sure - when was the last time a playoff game winning QB was cut or traded (provided he was the starter, not a backup who upped his stock playing in reserve of an incumbent) after the season? Trent Dilfer who was cut after the Raven's Superbowl win? But, if you're going to do it, do it right. Manning is "doing it right". I've heard a lot of the term the "best chance to win" flying around Denver every year since Plummer/Cutler but Manning does no kidding give us the "best chance to win".

I'd like to see the Broncos send Tebow somewhere that he would like to go. If Khan wants him, I would prefer to send him home to Jax. The fanbase here would love it and I wouldn't feel as bad kicking him to the curb after he tried his best for us and provided the most enjoyable season for me in over a decade.

As far as being a Broncos fan, I'm all in with Manning now. Once Tim is no longer a Bronco, he will quickly become an afterthought for me. Not that I'm fickle, but I'm focused on the future. The past is the past and as of today, Tebow looks to become the past. I'm already over it.

Denver Native (Carol)
03-20-2012, 10:04 PM
I have thought about this, and hoped that Tebow could stay, but in the same respect, how does anyone think Manning felt when he was released from the ONLY team he had played for - for 14 years, and thought all of the time the Colts would be the only team he played for, and that he would retire a Colt. A team/a city he did so much for. That had to be much worse for him, than it will be for Tim being traded early in his career.

Denver Native (Carol)
03-20-2012, 10:07 PM
Vic Lombardi ‏ @VicLombardi

RT @mrmartin4tnd: @VicLombardi Don't understand y Broncos can't find a role 4 #Tebow----> he doesn't want to be a backup. and they know it.

If Vic is true on this, I am not sure where Tim can go right now, and automatically be the starting QB. This is not the first time Vic has said this.

Justincredible
03-20-2012, 10:08 PM
Who do ya think you're kidding? You're not upset because the Broncos supposedly moved away from the team concept. If Tebow turned out to be the Next Peyton Manning you'd hardly come here talking about how Denver has to get rid of him to show more faith in "team" and "coach". This is about Tim Tebow and your feelings about Tim Tebow.......

I am upset about that, don't misinterpret what I said, Im not a crazy band wagon tebow fan, does he have a ways to go to be great yes, do I believe fox could get him there yes. what upsets me is picking a "sure thing" like manning. For what easy wins? wheres the fight the glory? that's why I have no respect for one man show teams. and I think thats whats going to happen to the broncos with adding manning. It has nothing to do with my feeling towards tebow. I just think teams should act as a team not hey lets push out 96 million to have a fur sure win. OH but if he gets hit uhm were screwed? Now if it was anyone other than manning I would take it. Manning will always be a colt and never a bronco. plan and simple. But dont you think its gonna be weird having manning be a bronco it just doesn't fit.

Justincredible
03-20-2012, 10:13 PM
I have thought about this, and hoped that Tebow could stay, but in the same respect, how does anyone think Manning felt when he was released from the ONLY team he had played for - for 14 years, and thought all of the time the Colts would be the only team he played for, and that he would retire a Colt. A team/a city he did so much for. That had to be much worse for him, than it will be for Tim being traded early in his career.

I think manning should of just retired, being with a team for so long. can he really be with a another team and still be great? Is manning going to be the next favre? its sad to see a player be so devoted but then its over.

jhildebrand
03-20-2012, 10:14 PM
If the biggest and best FA of all time comes available and your team has the chance to get him, YOU DO IT!

Fans of the other 28 Teams (not named 49ers, Titans, Cardinals) should feel like their franchises are cheap for not trying the same. Well exception to GB, NO and NE for obvious reasons.

Now as long as the Broncos handle TT with class, which I am sure they will, then it will be time to move on.

topscribe
03-20-2012, 10:16 PM
Nice sentiment from frank, but I dont agree with this.

His number was put away, it shouldnt come back out. Maybe im being hypersensitive, but I dont like it.

I was there when Tripucka took the reins as the Broncos' first QB. I watched him stick it out for 3½ years when he really wanted to retire. He kept a foundering Broncos franchise afloat. When Bob Howsam retired Tripucka's number, it was because there still was a Denver Broncos, and Tripucka was a huge reason for that.

Having gone through all that, when I heard Peyton today say he was going to wear #18, there was something inside of me that said, “This is just wrong.” I wish Peyton would change his mind and go with his college #16. It just seems they are tearing down an historical institution by doing this.

I don’t expect some who were never there to understand. But this is a reason it should be left alone.

HORSEPOWER 56
03-20-2012, 10:21 PM
I was there when Tripucka took the reins as the Broncos' first QB. I watched him stick it out for 3½ years when he really wanted to retire. He kept a foundering Broncos franchise afloat. When Bob Howsam retired Tripucka's number, it was because there still was a Denver Broncos, and Tripucka was a huge reason for that.

Having gone through all that, when I heard Peyton today say he was going to wear #18, there was something inside of me that said, “This is just wrong.” I wish Peyton would change his mind and go with his college #16. It just seems they are tearing down an historical institution by doing this.

I don’t expect some who were never there to understand. But this is a reason it should be left alone.

I don't disagree, but Frank did give his blessing (he actually gave it last week when the question was raised before Manning was even for sure coming here), just like Largent did with Jerry Rice in Seattle. Honestly, had Peyton wanted to wear #7, I think Elway would've gladly un-retired it for him.

I don't know if you saw the presser, but Manning discussed how he did feel guilty about wearing Tripucka's retired number but Frank encouraged him to take it when they spoke.

topscribe
03-20-2012, 10:28 PM
I don't disagree, but Frank did give his blessing (he actually gave it last week when the question was raised before Manning was even for sure coming here), just like Largent did with Jerry Rice in Seattle. Honestly, had Peyton wanted to wear #7, I think Elway would've gladly un-retired it for him.

I don't know if you saw the presser, but Manning discussed how he did feel guilty about wearing Tripucka's retired number but Frank encouraged him to take it when they spoke.

Yes, I saw it. Still disagree with it. It is more than just Tripucka's number, IMO. It isn't totally his decision to make. It belongs to Broncos legend, to the annals of Broncos history. As I said, I believe one has to have been there and experienced it to understand it. It is just causing somewhat of a sadness within me. It just doesn't seem right.

Denver Native (Carol)
03-20-2012, 10:33 PM
“I’m going to wear No. 18 for the Broncos,” Manning said. ”I had the privilege of speaking with Frank Tripucka this morning. It really goes against everything I believe in being a guy who appreciates the history of football and I believe when a number is retired it should stay retired; but in talking to Frank Tripucka, I feel he really wants me to wear his number. It was a very humbling conversation and I am honored to wear his number, being another quarterback for the Denver Broncos as Mr. Tripucka was back years ago as the first quarterback to play here. It truly is an honor for me and I’m really following his wishes to wear it because that’s what he wants me to do and I’m honored to do that.”

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/category/rumor-mill/

topscribe
03-20-2012, 10:41 PM
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/category/rumor-mill/

As I said, I heard Manning say every word of it. As I said, I still disagree with it. To me, it is tearing down part of an institution.

Justincredible
03-20-2012, 10:50 PM
So because he wore 18 with the colts hes forcing the notion to unretire a number because he wants it. wow balls and no brains. this is already looking bad its gonna be a crappy season. How pompous can you be?

wayninja
03-20-2012, 10:52 PM
So because he wore 18 with the colts hes forcing the notion to unretire a number because he wants it. wow balls and no brains. this is already looking bad its gonna be a crappy season. How pompous can you be?

WTF are you talking about? He forced nothing. Have you been listening?

topscribe
03-20-2012, 10:58 PM
As I said, I heard Manning say every word of it. As I said, I still disagree with it. To me, it is tearing down part of an institution.
By the way, I thought I might add that I don't blame Peyton for any of it. The only way he knows how to do anything is what he believes is right. I just gave my personal view on it, is all.

But, as I said, I believe one just about had to have been there and experienced those days to understand what I am saying.

Nomad
03-20-2012, 11:00 PM
I don't care what # he wears as long as he brings the Lombardi to Denver........cliche huh:lol:

Denver Native (Carol)
03-20-2012, 11:06 PM

PLEASE READ THE FOLLOWING - THIS IS WHAT TRIPUCKA SAID LAST WEEK. I DOUBT MANNING CALLED HIM LAST WEEK, AND SAID TO HIM - "IF I PICK THE BRONCOS, I WANT TO WEAR YOUR RETIRED NUMBER"

“It’s perfectly OK for him to go ahead and use it,’’ Frank Tripucka said last week from his New Jersey home. “I would be honored to have him wear it.’’

“It’s been retired for 50 years,’’ Tripucka said. “That’s long enough.’’

http://blogs.denverpost.com/broncos/2012/03/20/peyton-manning-wear-18-broncos/12674/

Justincredible
03-20-2012, 11:12 PM
WTF are you talking about? He forced nothing. Have you been listening?

its just a freaking number, why even ask to unretire it? thats all Im saying there has to be a ethical code of respect right but no im peyton manning and I need to wear my number its not just yours. I read the article. Does'nt mean I thinks its right. all this hype is gonna come crashing down and its gonna ruin a once honest good team. you think elway would let him wear #7 no I think not.

Justincredible
03-20-2012, 11:14 PM
PLEASE READ THE FOLLOWING - THIS IS WHAT TRIPUCKA SAID LAST WEEK. I DOUBT MANNING CALLED HIM LAST WEEK, AND SAID TO HIM - "IF I PICK THE BRONCOS, I WANT TO WEAR YOUR RETIRED NUMBER"

http://blogs.denverpost.com/broncos/2012/03/20/peyton-manning-wear-18-broncos/12674/
hey all in caps man, I read it. I dont agree its an opinion thats all.

aberdien
03-20-2012, 11:17 PM
Only old people disagree with it.

topscribe
03-20-2012, 11:19 PM

Yes, in Peyton's defense, he stressed that it goes against what he believes in, but that Tripucka insisted on it.

My stance is just that I don't believe it is entirely Tripucka's choice to make now. It's a Broncos institution.

But, as I said, that only is my opinion.

topscribe
03-20-2012, 11:20 PM

Your point?

Medford Bronco
03-20-2012, 11:26 PM

I just want to be relevant again and in a flukey way like last season.

I remember the Colts lighting us up in the early 2000s. Now lets hope he lights up other teams in Denver for us.

Justincredible
03-20-2012, 11:27 PM

says who? im 27, I will say im a hater on manning yes I am never liked him never will. BUT even if it wasnt manning and this happened my opinion would stand. I Guess I'm just in love with classic all america football.

aberdien
03-20-2012, 11:47 PM
I'm j/k guys, I getchoo.

I don't give much of a damn, but 18 is an awful number anyway so i'd have preferred him pick a different one.

MOtorboat
03-20-2012, 11:58 PM
I'm amazed at how many people complain year after year that Denver doesn't do enoug in free agency, and now that they did do something in free agency they claim it's somehow tainted. What a crock, frankly.

MOtorboat
03-21-2012, 12:01 AM
Vic Lombardi ‏ @VicLombardi

RT @mrmartin4tnd: @VicLombardi Don't understand y Broncos can't find a role 4 #Tebow----> he doesn't want to be a backup. and they know it.

If Vic is true on this, I am not sure where Tim can go right now, and automatically be the starting QB. This is not the first time Vic has said this.

That's why Tebow isn't getting a raw deal. No one thinks he's a starter, because he probably isn't. There's MAYBE three teams he could start for, MAYBE, and that's Jacksonville, Miami and Cleveland.

Canmore
03-21-2012, 12:33 AM
That's why Tebow isn't getting a raw deal. No one thinks he's a starter, because he probably isn't. There's MAYBE three teams he could start for, MAYBE, and that's Jacksonville, Miami and Cleveland.

I caught you the first time.

wayninja
03-21-2012, 12:39 AM
****, MO is more obsessed about Tebow than I am.

But he's right. Because no one thinks he's the starter, it totally invalidates what he's accomplshed and therefore he's getting exactly what he deserves. Any QB that doesn't want to be a backup after finishing a successful season against the odds is a wack job.

Northman
03-21-2012, 02:43 AM

That analogy is epic. haha

Simple Jaded
03-21-2012, 03:16 AM
I am upset about that, don't misinterpret what I said, Im not a crazy band wagon tebow fan, does he have a ways to go to be great yes, do I believe fox could get him there yes. what upsets me is picking a "sure thing" like manning. For what easy wins? wheres the fight the glory? that's why I have no respect for one man show teams. and I think thats whats going to happen to the broncos with adding manning. It has nothing to do with my feeling towards tebow. I just think teams should act as a team not hey lets push out 96 million to have a fur sure win. OH but if he gets hit uhm were screwed? Now if it was anyone other than manning I would take it. Manning will always be a colt and never a bronco. plan and simple. But dont you think its gonna be weird having manning be a bronco it just doesn't fit.

If by "weird" you totally ****ing awesome, then ya, that would be weird.......

Northman
03-21-2012, 04:49 AM
I don't get this mantra about one man teams. Even with surrounding talent you need a great qb nine times out of ten to win championships. Is manning going to win it all by himself? No. But he does give us the best chance out of him and tebow at his respective position.

MOtorboat
03-21-2012, 07:27 AM
I caught you the first time.

Not sure how that happened...

catfish
03-21-2012, 07:29 AM
Not sure how that happened...

your Tebow hate is too great for just 1 post ;)

TXBRONC
03-21-2012, 08:49 AM
I don't feel cheap or dirty I had no control over the issue. Elway's job is to make this team a winner and to sustain succees. The buisness side of it can seem rather harsh at time and sometimes it is.

Krugan
03-21-2012, 11:33 AM

Im far from old, and inbetween there and young.

Its about tradition and keeping what was, where it should be.

Great QB or not, simply decline and wear something else.

Krugan
03-21-2012, 11:36 AM
I just want to be relevant again and in a flukey way like last season.

I remember the Colts lighting us up in the early 2000s. Now lets hope he lights up other teams in Denver for us.

Hope so too, but we need more players.

I havent checked the roster lately, but didnt we need 11 people just to make 52 not so long ago.

jlarsiii
03-21-2012, 11:46 AM
Im far from old, and inbetween there and young.

Its about tradition and keeping what was, where it should be.

Great QB or not, simply decline and wear something else.

I look at it the other way. I think it is beyond dumb to "retire" a number. The number a player wears has absolutely nothing to do with how they played or the legacy that they left behind. Retire the player with honor. Put them in a honor ring. Honor their play, but leave the number out of it.

I have always thought that retiring numbers was one of the dumbest traditions in sports...

Justincredible
03-21-2012, 03:18 PM
I guess im just gonna have to watch him play with the re and see how it pans out