PDA

View Full Version : Why are we trading Tebow?

wayninja
03-20-2012, 12:47 PM
Sorry for making a new thread about this, but in every thread I've asked no one has even attempted an answer.

I don't see how it makes sense to trade tebow unless he is requesting it. I haven't seen any reports that this is the case.

It's been widely reported that the Broncos WILL Trade Tebow and I've seen it go so far as to say if no one takes him, he'll be cut.

Can someone who knows more about this business please explain how this makes any sense and why we would simply cut him and get nothing?

turftoad
03-20-2012, 12:52 PM
I think the FO wants more of a traditional QB to back up/groom behind Manning. Someone closer to Mannings skill set so they can build the rest of the team for that kind of offense.

wayninja
03-20-2012, 12:53 PM
I think the FO wants more of a traditional QB to back up/groom behind Manning. Someone closer to Mannings skill set so they can build the rest of the team for that kind of offense.

And they can't do that with Tebow on the team?

SpringsBroncoFan
03-20-2012, 12:55 PM
Sorry for making a new thread about this, but in every thread I've asked no one has even attempted an answer.

I don't see how it makes sense to trade tebow unless he is requesting it. I haven't seen any reports that this is the case.

It's been widely reported that the Broncos WILL Trade Tebow and I've seen it go so far as to say if no one takes him, he'll be cut.

Can someone who knows more about this business please explain how this makes any sense and why we would simply cut him and get nothing?

One answer Tebow can understand is Matthew 6:24 "No one can serve two masters"

Dapper Dan
03-20-2012, 12:57 PM
I think to be fair to Tebow we let him play somewhere rather than having to sit until he's almost 30. I hope he goes to San Francisco.

silkamilkamonico
03-20-2012, 12:59 PM
I honestly think the organization just wants to rid of his PR that comes with him.

I think that's one of the reasons why they went after Manning. It gave them an excuse.

lgenf
03-20-2012, 01:00 PM
they want to trade tebow to be fair to him as a player and QB

you guys constantly talk about how fair this FO is to players, this is what they are doing

additionally, T2 is not going to ever learn anything from Manning or a Manning driven offense so why take up a roster spot

and finally they have to try and get something back for him b/c he was a 1st rounder 2 years ago (that just makes good business sense)

now with all that said, the stupid Broncos FO came out yesterday before they even finalized the deal with Manning and stated we are signing Peyton and trading Tebow, so they already showed their cards, and may not get anything in return, and just have someone pick him up off waivers if they are willing to gamble that he will be there for them

I really don't think it will come to that, as Mort and others have already stated they way underestimated the value of T2 on the trading block and know for a fact that there are teams contacting the Broncos already about him

CrazyHorse
03-20-2012, 01:02 PM
He's shown he's a capable NFL starting QB. Why should he sit and waste his potential here behind Manning?

GEM
03-20-2012, 01:03 PM
They showed their cards, but also know they have him for another year. They aren't forced to cut him and he is relatively cheap. They can force a team to make a move on him.

MOtorboat
03-20-2012, 01:05 PM
Because they don't believe he's a future starting quarterback. And he's probably not.

And to get rid of the damned circus.

Let me ask you this. What quarterback in the NFL would he start over?

MOtorboat
03-20-2012, 01:08 PM
They showed their cards, but also know they have him for another year. They aren't forced to cut him and he is relatively cheap. They can force a team to make a move on him.

It doesn't matter one bit if they showed their cards about trading him if multiple teams are actually interested.

I wonder how many are interested in him coming in as a starter. I can't think of a single team where he is automatically a starter.

SpringsBroncoFan
03-20-2012, 01:09 PM
Because they don't believe he's a future starting quarterback. And he's probably not.

And to get rid of the damned circus.

Let me ask you this. What quarterback in the NFL would he start over?

Kyle Orton??? :D

rjent
03-20-2012, 01:13 PM
Orton ......:ciao::proud:

MOtorboat
03-20-2012, 01:13 PM
Kyle Orton??? :D

Kyle Orton is no longer a starter. Maybe I need to rephrase that question. Which team could he automatically start for?

rjent
03-20-2012, 01:14 PM
Damn it Springs, you beat me to it . :lol:

Krugan
03-20-2012, 01:16 PM
Could start over Gabbert.

So there is that.

wayninja
03-20-2012, 01:16 PM

Why did they play him this year? Were they ever going to think he was the starting QB even if we managed to beat NE? AFC Champs?

The arguments that support trading him, belie playing him and vice versa.

They want to trade him because he's not very good. They started him because they wanted to see if he was any good. He ended up winning more than losing. So they want to trade him.

Getting lost.

CoachChaz
03-20-2012, 01:18 PM
But even Orton got a very nice contract from a team...will Tebow?

MOtorboat
03-20-2012, 01:26 PM
Why did they play him this year? Were they ever going to think he was the starting QB even if we managed to beat NE? AFC Champs?

They want to trade him because he's not very good. They started him because they wanted to see if he was any good. He ended up winning more than losing. So they want to trade him.

Getting lost.

You're never going to get the full answer to that question, way.

My guess, caving to the fans and wanting to see what he could do. Sounds like they came away unimpressed.

SpringsBroncoFan
03-20-2012, 01:27 PM
Kyle Orton is no longer a starter. Maybe I need to rephrase that question. Which team could he automatically start for?

Too late!!! :lol:

SpringsBroncoFan
03-20-2012, 01:29 PM
But even Orton got a very nice contract from a team...will Tebow?

Of course he will coach...

As a TE or FB... :D

vandammage13

Getting lost.

They were never going to sign up long term with Tebow, no matter what...

They threw him out there, traded away our best reciever, and expected him to lose so they could move on and tell the fans "See? We told you..."

The season was lost and they probably saw it as an opportunity to get a good draft position and possibly get Andrew Luck, while giving fans a taste of what they felt Tebow was so that it would be easy to move on from him.

Tebow didn't cooperate and ended up winning some games...This put EFX in a pickle, but it ended up working out in the end with Manning, who was the only QB possible that the vast majority of fans would accept over Tebow.

They were never sold on Tebow, but it all worked out in the end as they acquired one of the best to ever lace 'em up.

So I guess to answer the OP's question, we are trading Tebow because we don't want him...simple as that.

wayninja
You're never going to get the full answer to that question, way.

My guess, caving to the fans and wanting to see what he could do. Sounds like they came away unimpressed.

Is that why they said they want him around a long, long time and that he 'earned' the starting job going into camp? Not saying that's a commitment, by any stretch, but it's hardly trade-bait either.

MOtorboat
03-20-2012, 01:33 PM
Nothing is going to satisfy you on this, so, I'm going to bow out.

It;s likely Elway lied to you, the fan. we'll never know what Tebow was told.

vandammage13
03-20-2012, 01:34 PM
Is that why they said they want him around a long, long time and that he 'earned' the starting job going into camp? Not saying that's a commitment, by any stretch, but it's hardly trade-bait either.

I don't think Elway ever meant a word of that...He was fully aware of how the fanbase felt about TT, but he was never going to fully commited to him as a starter...Merely lip-service to temporarily appease the masses.

claymore
03-20-2012, 01:35 PM

I think this has been answered several times. You just dont like or agree with the answer.

1. He isnt very good at QB
2. His following makes it impossible to try and develop him slowly
3. Why waste a roster spot on an QB that doesnt fit the offense you will run?

He had a hard time running our high completion easy make a qb look good offense. There is no way in hell he is going to be able to run Mannings no huddle, precision timing offense.

It serves zero purpose to have a backup QB that cant back up the starter.

claymore
03-20-2012, 01:37 PM
They were never going to sign up long term with Tebow, no matter what...

They threw him out there, traded away our best reciever, and expected him to lose so they could move on and tell the fans "See? We told you..."

The season was lost and they probably saw it as an opportunity to get a good draft position and possibly get Andrew Luck, while giving fans a taste of what they felt Tebow was so that it would be easy to move on from him.

Tebow didn't cooperate and ended up winning some games...This put EFX in a pickle, but it ended up working out in the end with Manning, who was the only QB possible that the vast majority of fans would accept over Tebow.

They were never sold on Tebow, but it all worked out in the end as they acquired one of the best to ever lace 'em up.

So I guess to answer the OP's question, we are trading Tebow because we don't want him...simple as that.
In the end thats what it comes down to. Addition by subtraction.

underrated29
03-20-2012, 01:52 PM
I think this has been answered several times. You just dont like or agree with the answer.

He had a hard time running our high completion easy make a qb look good offense. There is no way in hell he is going to be able to run Mannings no huddle, precision timing offense.

We do not run that kind of offense clay. Mcdaniels did. Mccoy called a hard to pass, run, run, run go route offense. Its all over fat man had a great article on it.

claymore
03-20-2012, 01:55 PM
We do not run that kind of offense clay. Mcdaniels did. Mccoy called a hard to pass, run, run, run go route offense. Its all over fat man had a great article on it.

At what point game wise did they switch the offense? I thought they switched it right after the Detroit game?

catfish
03-20-2012, 01:56 PM

Tebow had more pass attempts over 20 yards in the air than any other qb in the nfl(% wise) and not by a little bit, he had less passes (%wise)behind the line or witin 10 yards of the line than average...the offense was a lot of things, but high% it was not

catfish
03-20-2012, 01:57 PM
At what point game wise did they switch the offense? I thought they switched it right after the Detroit game?

that was the game where he got sacked 6 times under 2.8 seconds right?

wayninja
03-20-2012, 02:03 PM
Nothing is going to satisfy you on this, so, I'm going to bow out.

It;s likely Elway lied to you, the fan. we'll never know what Tebow was told.

Right now, Elway just wanted Tebow gone and likely would have wanted him to fail is the theory frontrunner.

Everything else has massive holes/problems with it. Sorry, MO, but give me a theory that doesn't have contradictions and holes in it and I'll buy it.

This is all besides the point though. Why trade him now? Scratch that. Let's assume we can't get anything for him? Why just cut him?

skins_fan82
03-20-2012, 02:08 PM
I don't think EFX wants Tebow as their future once Peyton leaves. I honestly never bought into any of Elway's BS about how he supports Tebow.

Not to mention the distraction he would be. Though most Tebow fans respect Peyton Manning a lot more than they respect Orton, the minute Peyton throws an interception, half of mile high would start chanting "Tebow." Don't think the Broncos wanna deal with that circus again.

But I do wish Tebow was somehow able to stay. The Broncos don't pay him very much and he could be an asset in certain situations. Create a few "Tebow Packages" for goal line and 3rd & short situations.

Dzone
03-20-2012, 02:10 PM
This whole thing is pissing me off more and more the more I listen to sports talk radio. Tebow took a team that was 1-4 and took them to the playoffs and now he is being treated like he is a second class citizen.
Manning had his fuse box worked on 4 times, and we had better hope he comes back. I hope Tebow goes to an AFCW team so we at least get to watch him twice a year.

claymore
03-20-2012, 02:14 PM
that was the game where he got sacked 6 times under 2.8 seconds right?

No clue.

slim
03-20-2012, 02:17 PM
Elway doesn't want him and never wanted him.

We can disagree with his assessment of Tim's potential, but if the boss doesn't want you around, you aren't going to be around.

It's not that hard to figure out.

wayninja
03-20-2012, 02:19 PM

You are right, I don't agree with answers that don't make sense. You might as well say we are trading him because the CIA told Pat Bowlen to do so.

1. If he isn't a good QB, it made no sense to start him in the first place, and less sense to keep him in.
2. This is the 'a wizard did it' answer. His following is irrelevant. Completely irrelevant. If it was relevant, they wouldn't be trading him now.
3. Why waste it last year? Again, if this was true, why play him? Why not cut him at the beginning of 2010 or 2011? It's a waste now after a winning season, but not a waste then when he was a big ? mark with the same criticisms and terrible in practice?

Which backup will we get that will run Mannings offense seamlessly? And even if Tebow isn't the 2nd string, why not the 3rd or 4th?

Dzone
03-20-2012, 02:19 PM
The day we get rid of Tebow will be one of the saddest days in Bronco history.

slim
03-20-2012, 02:21 PM
The day we get rid of Tebow will be one of the saddest days in Bronco history.

Yeah, not really.

claymore
03-20-2012, 02:23 PM
You are right, I don't agree with answers that don't make sense. You might as well say we are trading him because the CIA told Pat Bowlen to do so.

1. If he isn't a good QB, it made no sense to start him in the first place, and less sense to keep him in.
2. This is the 'a wizard did it' answer. His following is irrelevant. Completely irrelevant. If it was relevant, they wouldn't be trading him now.
3. Why waste it last year? Again, if this was true, why play him? Why not cut him at the beginning of 2010 or 2011? It's a waste now after a winning season, but not a waste then when he was a big ? mark with the same criticisms and terrible in practice?

Which backup will we get that will run Mannings offense seamlessly? And even if Tebow isn't the 2nd string, why not the 3rd or 4th?

Elway didnt think he was good, and didnt think his ceiling was high enough to spend the time, and roster spot. Someone else might. Thats it...

wayninja
03-20-2012, 02:29 PM
Elway didnt think he was good, and didnt think his ceiling was high enough to spend the time, and roster spot. Someone else might. Thats it...

Yeah, too bad. I though Elway would be a bit more forthcoming.

Sucks to give the kid a chance to prove himself but have your mind made up before/despite the results though.

claymore
03-20-2012, 02:43 PM
Yeah, too bad. I though Elway would be a bit more forthcoming.

Sucks to give the kid a chance to prove himself but have your mind made up before/despite the results though.

At least he got a chance. Many dont get that. He is a millionaire. He will be ok.

BigDaddyBronco
03-20-2012, 02:57 PM
Elway doesn't want him and never wanted him.

We can disagree with his assessment of Tim's potential, but if the boss doesn't want you around, you aren't going to be around.

It's not that hard to figure out.

Yea, and if Tebow pans out and turns into a good QB, and we got nothing for him, then it's time to question Elway's abilities.

Ravage!!!
03-20-2012, 03:04 PM
How many teams keep the incumbent QB on the team when they bring someone in to replace them? Rarely....VERY rarely. Tim is being replaced...period. You don't keep the incumbent on the team for many reasons. It's pretty common.

Tebow isn't being treated poorly. He's not being treated any different than anybody would have been treated. The 49ers would have traded or released Alex Smith had they signed Manning, and he played better than Tebow did.

KC would have gotten rid of Cassel if they would have signed Manning. Its a pretty common occurence.

Ravage!!!
03-20-2012, 03:08 PM
Yea, and if Tebow pans out and turns into a good QB, and we got nothing for him, then it's time to question Elway's abilities.

Not really. Not many in the NFL thought Tebow would have been a good QB to begin with. Schlereth has stated on the radio many times, that after watching Tim at camps and practice last year, that Tebow would have been cut if his name wasn't Tebow. Elway has watched him practice everyday, knows what he does well and what he dosen't do well....and is making a decision based on how things look TODAY for this team. IF Tebow ever develops, he wouldn't be looked down upon. People didn't "look down" at those that traded away Favre, passed up on Warner, didn't draft Brady or Montana....... it happens. Tebow, as of right now, does NOT look like a good NFL QB prospect. If he turns into one eventually... ok. But thats going to be years down the road, and like Elway, I believe if it happens it won't happen on a consistant basis.

BigDaddyBronco
03-20-2012, 03:10 PM
Alex Smith is a FA, but whatever. Both he and Cassel are vets with several years of service. Tebow is a 3rd year player and relatively cheap. You don't kick a guy on his first contract to the curb unless you don't think he is any good or he costs too much.

If Manning had gone to the jags, would they have cut Gabbert?

BigDaddyBronco
03-20-2012, 03:17 PM
Not really. Not many in the NFL thought Tebow would have been a good QB to begin with. Schlereth has stated on the radio many times, that after watching Tim at camps and practice last year, that Tebow would have been cut if his name wasn't Tebow. Elway has watched him practice everyday, knows what he does well and what he dosen't do well....and is making a decision based on how things look TODAY for this team. IF Tebow ever develops, he wouldn't be looked down upon. People didn't "look down" at those that traded away Favre, passed up on Warner, didn't draft Brady or Montana....... it happens. Tebow, as of right now, does NOT look like a good NFL QB prospect. If he turns into one eventually... ok. But thats going to be years down the road, and like Elway, I believe if it happens it won't happen on a consistant basis.

So if he gets traded for a 6th round pick or gets cut, and then turns into Steve Young and has a HOF career, we shouldn't hold Elway accountable? He doesn't cost a lot of money, sells merchandise, and has a 9-7 record as a starter. If Elway can't deal with fan and media pressure than he needs to grow a pair. If Elway just doesn't like the mobile QB type, then he needs to be more open. If Tebow can't improve then he will be proved right and no problem.

I thought Shanny was a good coach, but I though he should be accountable for his shitty GMing, and they finally did and ran him off. Just bringing in Peyton Manning and Von Miller in make Elway a great GM (although it helps), evaluating talent for the future and having a plan is what makes a good GM.

GEM
03-20-2012, 03:20 PM
I don't think Elway ever meant a word of that...He was fully aware of how the fanbase felt about TT, but he was never going to fully commited to him as a starter...Merely lip-service to temporarily appease the masses.

Should he be damned because he doesn't agree with some of the fans that Tebow was the long term answer? He gave a short term commitment. Manning came available and his style of play is more in tune with what the Broncos want to be running. I wonder if the Nuggets will be this condemned because they signed NeNe to a 5 year contract and traded his ass 3 mos later. :laugh:

The sad part of your comment is he isn't paid to appease the masses. He is paid to put together the best football team he can. Manning is better than Tebow. He did his job.

tomjonesrocks
03-20-2012, 03:22 PM
It's kind of sad. Tebow was fun to watch in 4th quarters and it seems like John would relate to his competitive fire. If he's only going to be a gadget guy somewhere--why not here?

There's got to be room for that passion on some roster. If traded PLEASE make sure he isn't a Patriot and actually just find a way to get him out of the AFC. We don't need this guy figuring it out and coming back to haunt all the time, as unlikely a scenario as that seems to be right now.

Tebow's fans are his worst enemy right now. If it weren't for the chaos he brings it would be possible to keep the guy.

BigDaddyBronco
03-20-2012, 03:24 PM
Should he be damned because he doesn't agree with some of the fans that Tebow was the long term answer? He gave a short term commitment. Manning came available and his style of play is more in tune with what the Broncos want to be running. I wonder if the Nuggets will be this condemned because they signed NeNe to a 5 year contract and traded his ass 3 mos later. :laugh:

The sad part of your comment is he isn't paid to appease the masses. He is paid to put together the best football team he can. Manning is better than Tebow. He did his job.

I don't see it much different than what McDaniels did to Cutler. McDaniels lied about trying to trade Cutler and Elway lied about wanting Tebow around for a long, long time and that he was his starter going into the pre-season. Elway had a better reason to lie, due to the Tebow crazies, but he still lied.

wayninja
03-20-2012, 03:24 PM

I thought he only put Tebow in to appease the masses.

Guess that's only part of his job when it's a convenient excuse.

BigDaddyBronco
03-20-2012, 03:25 PM
It's kind of sad. Tebow was fun to watch in 4th quarters and it seems like John would relate to his competitive fire. If he's only going to be a gadget guy somewhere--why not here?

There's got to be room for that passion on some roster. If traded PLEASE make sure he isn't a Patriot and actually just find a way to get him out of the AFC. We don't need this guy figuring it out and coming back to haunt all the time, as unlikely a scenario as that seems to be right now.

Tebow's fans are his worst enemy right now. If it weren't for the chaos he brings it would be possible to keep the guy.

Yea, how long did Slash play? I don't see much difference between the two at this point.

gnomeflinger
03-20-2012, 03:32 PM
What if Manning goes down mid-season? Who will be able to step up on short notice and take the reins?

slim
03-20-2012, 03:35 PM
What if Manning goes down mid-season? Who will be able to step up on short notice and take the reins?

If he get's hurt we are screwed. Of course that is usually the case with starting QBs.

wayninja
03-20-2012, 03:37 PM

Well find another shitty QB to win for us.

MOtorboat
03-20-2012, 03:44 PM
I think you are painfully overanalyzing this, way.

They are contemplating trading him because they don't want him, and it might be the case that Tebow doesn't want to be there.

For whatever reason Elway and Fox made the decision to play him, they have determined he's not the quarterback they want. We can't know when they made that decision, and we never will. But that decision was made at some point.

And yes, Elway talked out of both sides of his mouth to try and avoid the wrath of the Tebow fans. You think he lied. I think he skirted the question. I guess, I tend not to care. GMs and Coaches lie in every sport, every day. Players lie to the media all the time too.

Ravage!!!
03-20-2012, 03:50 PM
So if he gets traded for a 6th round pick or gets cut, and then turns into Steve Young and has a HOF career, we shouldn't hold Elway accountable? He doesn't cost a lot of money, sells merchandise, and has a 9-7 record as a starter. If Elway can't deal with fan and media pressure than he needs to grow a pair. If Elway just doesn't like the mobile QB type, then he needs to be more open. If Tebow can't improve then he will be proved right and no problem.
Manning will sell tickets just as much as Tebow would. Tebow "selling tickets" will already start dying down because he's no more of a "hype" and just a QB that is on the field. Meaning, if his QB play continues as it has, people aren't going to spend money to watch him. It doesn't matter where Tebow sells merchandise, because that is split up among the NFL franchises equally. SO the fact that Tebow is being traded, and will have yet ANOTHER jersey, is better for the Broncos when it comes to merchandise money.

But its not the media that is making John trade Tebow away... its having Manning on the team. Manning's don't come around very often. People have already said that Manning is the biggest name in FA since FA began. Thats a HUGE signing, and a giant signing for the Broncos. A HUGE signing for the Broncos.

This "if John doesn't like mobile QB" thing, isn't even realistic. Elway was a mobile QB. There is a difference between a mobile QB, and a running QB. Tebow is a running QB in a passing league. JE knows that for you to win in this league, you HAVE to pass the ball, and pass it well. Look at the top teams in the NFL and their QBs. Look at those that are considered the top QBs in the NFL. The league is NOT changing to a league where the QBs will be running more. The rules are designed to help the QB pass the ball. If you can't pass it, and pass it WELL, you are behind as far as being an NFL quarterback. Elway knows this.

What you are asking is if John should be held accountable for letting a HUGE HUGE project in a quarterback go, if he becomes Steve Young. I think if you asked John this he would say "absolutely"...but inside he's feeling VERY comfortable with that never happening. Tebow is never going to be a great QB.

Slick
03-20-2012, 03:51 PM

This is why I think it isn't a good idea to trade Tebow. No one will be able to step in and be the Offensive Coordinator/QB like Peyton Manning. NO ONE. Some veteran who isn't Peyton Manning would come in and struggle, or some rookie who has absolutely no experience will have to come in.

I'd rather see us keep Tebow as our back-up (or even #3 guy) who has starting NFL experience, has won games, and can come in and run a ground and pound offense like he and McCoy already ran together with a litle succes.

That makes more sense to me than hoping that some veteran or rookie trying to come in and run Peyton's system.

I agree that there is a circus following around Tebow that can be quite a turn off, however I think Denver would stand a chance to win more games with him than with other options.

Having said that, I agree with most of you that he'll be gone soon. I wouldn't go that route, but I suppose I can see why they would.

wayninja
03-20-2012, 03:53 PM
I think you are painfully overanalyzing this, way.

They are contemplating trading him because they don't want him, and it might be the case that Tebow doesn't want to be there.

For whatever reason Elway and Fox made the decision to play him, they have determined he's not the quarterback they want. We can't know when they made that decision, and we never will. But that decision was made at some point.

And yes, Elway talked out of both sides of his mouth to try and avoid the wrath of the Tebow fans. You think he lied. I think he skirted the question. I guess, I tend not to care. GMs and Coaches lie in every sport, every day. Players lie to the media all the time too.

Supposedly, this new regime was to be 'transparent'. And honestly, the lying doesn't really bother me, it's the condescension shown by playing the kid when it was obvious they had no intention of keeping him barring some miraculous super-bowl win.

It's patronizing for them to sell me the notion that they were giving him a shot and were going to judge him on the results. Clearly that was never going to happen and 2011 was basically another pre-determined stop on the QB carousel. And now Elway got the QB he really wants and got to ditch the one who he used to help him get there. The beautiful part is that no matter how good he is, he too is destined for a short ride on the Broncos QB carousel.

I know not everyone feels this way, but I don't only want my boys on the field to play well, I want to take pride in how our organization is run too. This whole situation certainly is not giving me that feeling no matter how excited I am about manning.

Ravage!!!
03-20-2012, 03:54 PM

I don't think so. Teams just don't normally keep the incumbent QB once they have brought someone in to replace them. Alex Smith would not have stayed in San Fran had Manning decided to go there.

wayninja
03-20-2012, 03:56 PM
This is why I think it isn't a good idea to trade Tebow. No one will be able to step in and be the Offensive Coordinator/QB like Peyton Manning. NO ONE. Some veteran who isn't Peyton Manning would come in and struggle, or some rookie who has absolutely no experience will have to come in.

I'd rather see us keep Tebow as our back-up (or even #3 guy) who has starting NFL experience, has won games, and can come in and run a ground and pound offense like he and McCoy already ran together with a litle succes.

That makes more sense to me than hoping that some veteran or rookie trying to come in and run Peyton's system.

I agree that there is a circus following around Tebow that can be quite a turn off, however I think Denver would stand a chance to win more games with him than with other options.

Having said that, I agree with most of you that he'll be gone soon. I wouldn't go that route, but I suppose I can see why they would.

This is it exactly. If you can't get your guy to run the exact offense you want, you play hard-nosed, mistake free football. Didn't we prove, we could go in and basically run a 1-dimensional offense and STILL find success? I don't know about the rest of you, but this seems like an insurance policy EASILY worth 800k a year.

Slick
03-20-2012, 04:08 PM
This is it exactly. If you can't get your guy to run the exact offense you want, you play hard-nosed, mistake free football. Didn't we prove, we could go in and basically run a 1-dimensional offense and STILL find success? I don't know about the rest of you, but this seems like an insurance policy EASILY worth 800k a year.

Absolutely. We have Tebow under contract, he's been paid, he's a cheap back-up that is capable of winning some games.

Also, I don't want to be spending draft picks or free agency dollars to find a back up for Manning. We put ourselves in a win now scenario. I don't mind that we did that, and I agree with Ravage that we got the best free agent in the history of free agency, but I want us spending all of those picks and dollars trying to win now with Peyton. Spend the money on guys that are going to help us right away.

wayninja
03-20-2012, 04:19 PM
"I'm hoping that some way, or somehow, we can work it out and somehow keep Tim there, If he could just (learn) one or two things from Peyton, I think Tim would be one of the best one or two quarterbacks in the league."

- Von Miller

catfish
03-20-2012, 04:27 PM
"I'm hoping that some way, or somehow, we can work it out and somehow keep Tim there, If he could just (learn) one or two things from Peyton, I think Tim would be one of the best one or two quarterbacks in the league."

- Von Miller

I don't think there is any doubt he is a great locker room guy, and who knows they might still keep him if they don't like what other teams are offering. I will say it would be tough keeping an ex-starter on the team, but might be mitigated by the fact the Peyton is head and shoulders better than Tebow

catfish
03-20-2012, 04:44 PM
from Elways presser re: conversation with Tebow

"Obviously he was disappointed. It was a typical Tim Tebow response in the fact that he was very positive," said Elway. "He said, 'We're talking about Peyton Manning, and I understand exactly what you're doing.' Again, the response was exactly what we know of Tim."

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news?slug=sportsxchange-000614387_elway-no-tebow-trade-talks-yet

Denver Native (Carol)
03-20-2012, 04:45 PM
Today John Clayton said it would be very hard for a team to pick up Tebow, as basically, all teams run the same style offense, and if a team's starting QB went down, a totally different offense would have to be put in, like it was in Denver, and you would have to find a team who would be willing to do that.

slim
03-20-2012, 04:45 PM
from Elways presser re: conversation with Tebow

"Obviously he was disappointed. It was a typical Tim Tebow response in the fact that he was very positive," said Elway. "He said, 'We're talking about Peyton Manning, and I understand exactly what you're doing.' Again, the response was exactly what we know of Tim."

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news?slug=sportsxchange-000614387_elway-no-tebow-trade-talks-yet

Hmmmm....so he actually took Elway's call. Interesting.

GEM
03-20-2012, 04:46 PM
I thought he only put Tebow in to appease the masses.

Guess that's only part of his job when it's a convenient excuse.

Show me anywhere that I posted that Elway called for Tebow to be put in because the fans were chanting for him. Just one instance. If you can't, don't lump me in with the other 15 debates you are having with other people.

The starter was doing terrible. They made a switch to the back up. That's a ******* first in the NFL....:laugh:

catfish
03-20-2012, 04:47 PM
Today John Clayton said it would be very hard for a team to pick up Tebow, as basically, all teams run the same style offense, and if a team's starting QB went down, a totally different offense would have to be put in, like it was in Denver, and you would have to find a team who would be willing to do that.

or find a team that thinks he can legitimately run a nfl offense if need be, GB is being mentioned in that regard based on pre-draft meetings 2 years ago

Denver Native (Carol)
03-20-2012, 04:47 PM
From article:

"And in all honesty, Tim said, 'I miss home. I miss the South. And hopefully I'll land somewhere in Florida.'"

full article - http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/Tim-Tebow-friend-Monica-Culpepper-says-QB-wants-to-play-in-Florida-032012

catfish
03-20-2012, 04:50 PM
Hmmmm....so he actually took Elway's call. Interesting.

I wouldn't expect any less,

1) Tebow isn't a whiny little bitch, he strikes me as the consumate team first guy
2) unlike some of his fans Tebow knows he is a work in progress and nowhere near Manning skills wise yet( I have no doubt he thinks he can get there)

catfish
03-20-2012, 04:51 PM
From article:

full article - http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/Tim-Tebow-friend-Monica-Culpepper-says-QB-wants-to-play-in-Florida-032012

ehh, I wouldn't get too worked up over a quote taken from an informal dinner with firends.....could have gone hey Tim if you get traded where would you want to go. It stinks of blowing up a soundbyte

GEM
03-20-2012, 04:52 PM
Supposedly, this new regime was to be 'transparent'. And honestly, the lying doesn't really bother me, it's the condescension shown by playing the kid when it was obvious they had no intention of keeping him barring some miraculous super-bowl win.

It's patronizing for them to sell me the notion that they were giving him a shot and were going to judge him on the results. Clearly that was never going to happen and 2011 was basically another pre-determined stop on the QB carousel. And now Elway got the QB he really wants and got to ditch the one who he used to help him get there. The beautiful part is that no matter how good he is, he too is destined for a short ride on the Broncos QB carousel.

I know not everyone feels this way, but I don't only want my boys on the field to play well, I want to take pride in how our organization is run too. This whole situation certainly is not giving me that feeling no matter how excited I am about manning.

Guess they should never play a backup then. Cause most teams don't ever plan on starting their backup unless something is wrong. I guess they should have kept Tebow on the sideline until they were ready to ink a 5 year $90 million contract?

Well, you have been around the last 4 years I am guessing. Why is this any worse than what happened with Cutler and McDaniels? Just wondering if you were this adamant about taking pride in the organization back then? That whole period should be deleted from our history, but Elway not being content with Tebow's play and doing what a lot of other teams would do as well, getting a HOF top 5 all time QB instead of developing a project brings out all of this? :confused:

wayninja
03-20-2012, 04:54 PM
ehh, I wouldn't get too worked up over a quote taken from an informal dinner with firends.....could have gone hey Tim if you get traded where would you want to go. It stinks of blowing up a soundbyte

Yeah, this friend of a friend sorta deal may tell you whats going on in terms of brainstorming, but it's far from definitive.

wayninja
03-20-2012, 05:02 PM
Guess they should never play a backup then. Cause most teams don't ever plan on starting their backup unless something is wrong.

That would make sense if they kept the starter... they dumped him though, remember? Elway also said... you know what, never mind, you know what Elway said.

I guess they should have kept Tebow on the sideline until they were ready to ink a 5 year $90 million contract?

They should have given him a fair shot. They didn't. Not sure what point you are making. If we hadn't signed Manning, I don't doubt for a second they'd find some other way to dump him. The writing is there. Why dump him now?

Well, you have been around the last 4 years I am guessing. Why is this any worse than what happened with Cutler and McDaniels? Just wondering if you were this adamant about taking pride in the organization back then? That whole period should be deleted from our history

But it basically was. Neither the QB nor the coach are here anymore. Regardless of my feelings about it at the time were, the organization was (supposedly) cleansed of that rot. Is Xanders the common-link curse?

but Elway not being content with Tebow's play and doing what a lot of other teams would do as well, getting a HOF top 5 all time QB instead of developing a project brings out all of this? :confused:

Elway clearly made the right decision to go after Manning. But as the purpose of the thread; Why are the two mutually exclusive? Manning has said he has no problem with Tebow being here. Tebow hasn't said ANYTHING and I can't imagine he'd refuse. So who has the problem with him and why?

wayninja
03-20-2012, 05:05 PM
Show me anywhere that I posted that Elway called for Tebow to be put in because the fans were chanting for him. Just one instance. If you can't, don't lump me in with the other 15 debates you are having with other people.

The starter was doing terrible. They made a switch to the back up. That's a ******* first in the NFL....:laugh:

I didn't mean for you to take it so defensively and I apologize for using your quote to make a broader point in the other 15 debates.

TimHippo
03-20-2012, 05:10 PM

The backup was Brady Quinn though.

So either Elway did appease the fans or more likely he was ready to Tank the season for Andrew Luck figuring Tebow would lose all his games.

claymore
03-20-2012, 05:12 PM
The backup was Brady Quinn though.

So either Elway did appease the fans or more likely he was ready to Tank the season for Andrew Luck figuring Tebow would lose all his games.

I think Elway wanted to see what he had in Tebow. Isnt that what the majority of the fans wanted?

GEM
03-20-2012, 05:15 PM
Brady Quinn wasn't going to be here. Tebow was. They had the opportunity to see real game play out of the player they took in the first round, they played him.

Besides the fact that Brady Quinn could move the ball downfield about as well as a donkey could swim upstream.

Canmore
03-20-2012, 05:16 PM
I think Elway wanted to see what he had in Tebow. Isn't that what the majority of the fans wanted?

I wanted to see what we had in Tebow after Orton. We have seen it and there is a lot of disagreement on what we have seen. Personally I hope we keep him. He's paid for and he has shown an ability to win games without a lot of reps. I don't think that is what we are going to do though.

wayninja
03-20-2012, 05:17 PM
I think Elway wanted to see what he had in Tebow. Isnt that what the majority of the fans wanted?

Yep. Tebow couldn't even take them to the AFC Championship game. Guy needs to take a hike.

GEM
03-20-2012, 05:18 PM
I think what some are losing sight of is Peyton Manning isn't some schmoe off the block. It's not like they made a play for Hasselback or some other middle of the pack QB and gave Tebow the brush off because of it. It's Peyton freaking Manning. The Broncos didn't contact another single QB. Had Manning not come up, I feel ok with saying, Tebow would have been here next season as the starter. There was no one else on the market that was worth the money they would have had to invest or worth the PR money they would lose by dropping Tebow.

Denver Native (Carol)
03-20-2012, 05:18 PM
That would make sense if they kept the starter... they dumped him though, remember? Elway also said... you know what, never mind, you know what Elway said.

They should have given him a fair shot. They didn't. Not sure what point you are making. If we hadn't signed Manning, I don't doubt for a second they'd find some other way to dump him. The writing is there. Why dump him now?

But it basically was. Neither the QB nor the coach are here anymore. Regardless of my feelings about it at the time were, the organization was (supposedly) cleansed of that rot. Is Xanders the common-link curse?

Elway clearly made the right decision to go after Manning. But as the purpose of the thread; Why are the two mutually exclusive? Manning has said he has no problem with Tebow being here. Tebow hasn't said ANYTHING and I can't imagine he'd refuse. So who has the problem with him and why?

Yes - we know what Elway said, RIGHT after the season ended last year. He had no idea that the Colts would not keep Manning, so what Elway said was appropriate at that time ONLY

Again, as John Clayton said not too long ago, if a team is looking at getting Tebow as a backup QB, they had better be prepared to be able to change their total offensive game plan immediately, if their starter goes down.

Clayton also said that more than likely if Tim is traded, it will strictly be an owner's decision, because that owner will want to fill up the seats in the stadium.

claymore
03-20-2012, 05:20 PM
Yep. Tebow couldn't even take them to the AFC Championship game. Guy needs to take a hike.
its cause he cant complete a pass. Thats why he is taking a hike.

Denver Native (Carol)
Vic Lombardi ‏ @VicLombardi

Elway told me he's trying to do right by Tebow. Appreciates what he's done. I think he'll do his best to help him get back home to Florida

GEM

Tebow's your starter, don't even bother looking at one of the GOAT.

Tebow did some good things last season, I won't take that from him. But in the long run, for the future...I guess I just don't see what you do. I don't see a SB qb when I see Tebow. :shrugs: I also don't see him being treated any differently than any other player. Players get replaced all the time.

claymore
03-20-2012, 05:21 PM
Yes - we know what Elway said, RIGHT after the season ended last year. He had no idea that the Colts would not keep Manning, so what Elway said was appropriate at that time ONLY

Again, as John Clayton said not too long ago, if a team is looking at getting Tebow as a backup QB, they had better be prepared to be able to change their total offensive game plan immediately, if their starter goes down.

Clayton also said that more than likely if Tim is traded, it will strictly be an owner's decision, because that owner will want to fill up the seats in the stadium.

If Tebow was so great, we would have teams beating our team down for a starting, playoff winning QB.

wayninja
03-20-2012, 05:23 PM
its cause he cant complete a pass. Thats why he is taking a hike.

Wild card playoff game says 'Hi!'

catfish
03-20-2012, 05:23 PM
Brady Quinn wasn't going to be here. Tebow was. They had the opportunity to see real game play out of the player they took in the first round, they played him.

Besides the fact that Brady Quinn could move the ball downfield about as well as a donkey could swim upstream.

Plus I don't necessarily buy that Quinn was ever ahead of Tebow on the depth chart, it was inly ever reported that way becasue of the 4th string quote. Fox was adamant that they werent required to name a backup and he damn well wasn't going to

wayninja
03-20-2012, 05:25 PM

Tebow did some good things last season, I won't take that from him. But in the long run, for the future...I guess I just don't see what you do. I don't see a SB qb when I see Tebow. :shrugs: I also don't see him being treated any differently than any other player. Players get replaced all the time.

Now it's my turn. Show me one place anywhere that I've said Tebow is a SB QB. I think with some work he can get there (hell he almost got there THIS year with 0 support).

And I'm certainly not suggesting he start over Manning. This thread, has, is, and will continue to be about why we are trading him, not replacing him. Replacing him is a no brainer. Ditching him makes little sense.

catfish

Elway told me he's trying to do right by Tebow. Appreciates what he's done. I think he'll do his best to help him get back home to Florida

I really think Elway believes he is doing Tim a favor by trading him, they assume that Manning will be the QB for the next 5 years, Tebow is 30 at that point, he goes somewhere else he could be starting in the next year or 2

GEM

wayninja
03-20-2012, 05:30 PM

Hey! I already responded to this in post 90! Quit using your moderator tricks on me!

wayninja
03-20-2012, 05:31 PM
I really think Elway believes he is doing Tim a favor by trading him, they assume that Manning will be the QB for the next 5 years, Tebow is 30 at that point, he goes somewhere else he could be starting in the next year or 2

We only have Teebs for 1 more year. I'm not saying sit Tebow behind manning for all time, but it makes sense for next year.

GEM
03-20-2012, 05:33 PM
Now it's my turn. Show me one place anywhere that I've said Tebow is a SB QB. I think with some work he can get there (hell he almost got there THIS year with 0 support).

And I'm certainly not suggesting he start over Manning. This thread, has, is, and will continue to be about why we are trading him, not replacing him. Replacing him is a no brainer. Ditching him makes little sense.

Because he doesn't have a future here? Because it would be better for Tebow to let him move on? The good thing to do in a sticky situation?

MOtorboat
03-20-2012, 05:39 PM
I wondered if this would happen.

They screamed, chanted, indundated social networks, put up billboards, flooded radio shows to get the FO to play Tebow.

EFX did just that. They evaluated it. Apparently didn't like what they saw and moved on, and now people can't comprehend how that would happen...and are outraged that they didn't come to the "right" conclusion.

TimHippo
03-20-2012, 05:40 PM

Everyone knew as soon as the colts won the Andrew luck sweepstakes. It's not like Goat HOFer fell out of the sky into Elways lap with no expectations. This was a calculated move not sure why it's so hard to admit that.

Elway doesn't like Tebow for whatever reason. He was drafted by the previous regime. Elways rep is on the line so he's going to want his guys and Tebow was never going to be that.

trueteller
03-20-2012, 05:42 PM
@wayninja After reading your posts, I am assuming that you are a die-hard Tebow fan. Alas, you have to face the truth. Tebow will be traded this year and Manning will take over. You can ask thousand questions here but only Elway can give you the real answer. Sorry but Tebow is leaving town. He will play somewhere else but I don't really care. He is gone.

MOtorboat
03-20-2012, 05:42 PM
Everyone knew as soon as the colts won the Andrew luck sweepstakes. It's not like Goat HOFer fell out of the sky into Elways lap with no expectations. This was a calculated move not sure why it's so hard to admit that.

Elway doesn't like Tebow for whatever reason. He was drafted by the previous regime. Elways rep is on the line so he's going to want his guys and Tebow was never going to be that.

Elway fibbed.

Get over it.

wayninja
03-20-2012, 05:43 PM

They screamed, chanted, indundated social networks, put up billboards, flooded radio shows to get the FO to play Tebow.

EFX did just that. They evaluated it. Apparently didn't like what they saw and moved on, and now people can't comprehend how that would happen...and are outraged that they didn't come to the "right" conclusion.

They came to the right conclusion just fine. Tebow's earned the right to go into camp as the starter. And he will be here a long, long time. Seems reasonable to me.

GEM
03-20-2012, 05:44 PM

Or maybe Tebow just isn't that good. But conspiracy theories about Elway being scared or just not liking him make a lot more sense. :lol:

wayninja
03-20-2012, 05:45 PM
@wayninja After reading your posts, I am assuming that you are a die-hard Tebow fan. Alas, you have to face the truth. Tebow will be traded this year and Manning will take over. You can ask thousand questions here but only Elway can give you the real answer. Sorry but Tebow is leaving town. He will play somewhere else but I don't really care. He is gone.

Hell ya I'm a die hard fan! Never knew the kid till we drafted him, but he's shown himself to be great leader, played with tons of heart, and gave me one of the most exciting Broncos seasons I can remember. What's really not to love?

I'm facing the truth, I agree he will be gone. It still makes little sense and I'll never feel proud about rewarding the guy like this.

TT15Superman
03-20-2012, 05:46 PM

EFX did just that. They evaluated it. Apparently didn't like what they saw and moved on, and now people can't comprehend how that would happen...and are outraged that they didn't come to the "right" conclusion.Well, you could if you ignored the bad parts of his play, looked at the 50% (48% actually) that was good and projected that with hard work (which he would do), you could have something...a serviceable, top 15 QB who gets the play done, but is far from being considered an elite QB.

Granted, if you look at bowlen's health, and Elway's ego, you could see how Tebow was doomed from the start. None of the QBs from last year were what Elway wanted. As I've said many times, Tebow was inserted to fail, so that Elway could have his pick in the draft. THAT was what EFX wanted to "evaluate". But Tebow flipped the script and surprised the NFL and EFX...although not to the point of really wanting to keep him (if there was a viable way out...in step PM).

MOtorboat
03-20-2012, 05:46 PM
They came to the right conclusion just fine. Tebow's earned the right to go into camp as the starter. And he will be here a long, long time. Seems reasonable to me.

Sounds more like it was the kiss of death knowing what we know now. You should be familiar with that term, its been used for many, many years in the sports world.

GEM
03-20-2012, 05:49 PM

Sorry Manning, we can't invest in you because we made a comment a few months ago. Yes, the comment was about as murky as one could get when showing confidence in a player, but we must keep our word.

Yes, we know all about you, Mr. Manning. It doesn't matter, we are going to the be the first team in the history of the NFL to do exactly as we say we were going to do no matter what happens.

The more logical question is....why keep Tebow? He isn't what the franchise wants. He isn't going to grow enough to be what the franchise wants. And it would be more of an ******* move to put him on the bench instead of allowing him to go start somewhere else since we aren't going to start him.

wayninja
03-20-2012, 05:49 PM
Or maybe Tebow just isn't that good. But conspiracy theories about Elway being scared or just not liking him make a lot more sense. :lol:

You forgot a few... what about the 'they knew he sucked and played him anyway' theory. I like that angle because it can go either Major League OR keystone cops.

Jsteve01
03-20-2012, 05:52 PM
I think a lot of us agree. We'd love to keep Timmy. We'd love to see him in special packages and to watch him grow into something special. The problem is the vocal minority in Tim's fan base that goes beyond rabid. They're the type of folks to be at the front of a lynch mob. They can't see that learning from one of the greatest could prepare tim for greatness. Most of them arent broncs fans. They'll just follow tim wherever he goes. I think that's what the F.O. is tired of more than anything about Tim himself. I saw people yesterday calling John every name in the book and wishing injury on Manning. The sad thing is they're passionate about tim the football player and apparently everything else he stands for is lost on them.

MOtorboat
03-20-2012, 05:54 PM
Well, you could if you ignored the bad parts of his play, looked at the 50% (48% actually) that was good and projected that with hard work (which he would do), you could have something...a serviceable, top 15 QB who gets the play done, but is far from being considered an elite QB.

Granted, if you look at bowlen's health, and Elway's ego, you could see how Tebow was doomed from the start. None of the QBs from last year were what Elway wanted. As I've said many times, Tebow was inserted to fail, so that Elway could have his pick in the draft. THAT was what EFX wanted to "evaluate". But Tebow flipped the script and surprised the NFL and EFX...although not to the point of really wanting to keep him (if there was a viable way out...in step PM).

And we're back to Tebow 's incompetence is because Bowlen is losing it and Elway is jealous...

wayninja
03-20-2012, 05:54 PM
Sorry Manning, we can't invest in you because we made a comment a few months ago. Yes, the comment was about as murky as one could get when showing confidence in a player, but we must keep our word.

Right, because there is no middle ground between Manning starting and Tebow leaving.

Yes, we know all about you, Mr. Manning. It doesn't matter, we are going to the be the first team in the history of the NFL to do exactly as we say we were going to do no matter what happens.

Again, black and white. Hence the point of the thread.

The more logical question is....why keep Tebow? He isn't what the franchise wants. He isn't going to grow enough to be what the franchise wants. And it would be more of an ******* move to put him on the bench instead of allowing him to go start somewhere else since we aren't going to start him.

At least that's a salient question. There's a few good reasons;
1. The window with manning is small. 1-5 years, and probably closer to 3 at best. Why spend picks for a backup that you probably won't lose when you've already got a guy that showed you he can win without knowing shit or being able to throw?
2. He doesn't have any other place to start. Or at the very least, they didn't give one shit about this before deciding to trade him, so it's irrelevant. You can't say they care about him NOW. That's sorta silly.
3. He's a great locker room guy, nothing wrong with that.

Denver Native (Carol)
03-20-2012, 06:03 PM

Just sat down with Elway. He goes into great detail about the conversation he had with Tebow. Coming up on CBS4 at 5. (tweet link later)

GEM
03-20-2012, 06:11 PM
You forgot a few... what about the 'they knew he sucked and played him anyway' theory. I like that angle because it can go either Major League OR keystone cops.

Or the 'Elway is scared of Tebow taking his place' or the 'they just played him to pacify the fans'

This isn't some small change operation. This is a multi billion dollar industry.

Had Elway been around when Cutler was here....Cutler would still be here....that's his kind of QB.

Denver Native (Carol)
03-20-2012, 06:15 PM

Elway did get a bit choked up when discussing his phone call to Tebow. Pretty obvious this is wearing on him.

catfish
03-20-2012, 06:23 PM

Elway did get a bit choked up when discussing his phone call to Tebow. Pretty obvious this is wearing on him.

I am still convinced that Elway likes Tebow alot as an individual, and sees potential in him as a player, you get a chance at Manning you take it, period. I think Elway is doing the classy thing a la Llyod and Orton and giving Tim a shot to start immediately, or earn a spot in the next 2 years....something he wouldn't get a chance to do here

wayninja
03-20-2012, 06:23 PM

That's right, Elway, a few tears here, a crack in the voice there. Excellllllleeeent.

catfish
03-20-2012, 06:40 PM
from SI.com, per Xanders if a trade partner is not found for Tebow he will not be cut

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2012/football/nfl/wires/03/20/2020.ap.fbn.broncos.tebow.2nd.ld.writethru.0870/index.html

claymore
03-20-2012, 06:44 PM
That's right, Elway, a few tears here, a crack in the voice there. Excellllllleeeent.

Elway is pwning the NFL right now. As an Exec, its awesome.

HammeredOut
03-20-2012, 06:47 PM

That was to hide his laugh at whoever trades for him.... :D

Nomad
03-20-2012, 07:18 PM
Elway is pwning the NFL right now. As an Exec, its awesome.

He is a car salesman

Lancane
03-20-2012, 07:23 PM
I'm going to say Tebow is traded to Miami for a 3rd round pick.

catfish
03-20-2012, 07:26 PM
I'm going to say Tebow is traded to Miami for a 3rd round pick.

if there really are 5 teams legitimatley interested it is possible...I would jump on that

Lancane
03-20-2012, 07:29 PM
if there really are 5 teams legitimatley interested it is possible...I would jump on that

Well they have an extra 3rd and just lost out on Alex Smith, it would make sense to trade for Tebow and I still expect them to draft someone in April.

Nomad
03-20-2012, 07:30 PM
Tebow is traded to Jags for a 5th.

Denver Native (Carol)
03-20-2012, 08:30 PM
After receiving the phone call they had been waiting for from Peyton Manning on Monday morning, Broncos head coach John Fox and football boss John Elway then had to make the phone call they were dreading.

On the other end of the line was quarterback Tim Tebow, the player who less than three months ago led the Broncos to a division title and a playoff victory. Monday night, Fox and Elway had to tell Tebow that it was possible Tebow would soon be traded away and his career in Denver would be over.

"I'm sure he was disappointed. He didn't come out and say he was disappointed — I think it was a typical Tim Tebow response in the fact that he was very positive, and he said, 'Well, we're talking about Peyton Manning, and I understand exactly what you're doing,'" Elway said Tuesday at the media conference to introduce Manning as the team's new quarterback.

rest - http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci_20216515/tim-tebows-career-broncos-nearly-over-john-elway

Nomad
03-20-2012, 09:18 PM
Gary Miller noticed at Dove Valley that not one single photo of Tebow at Dove Valley on the walls. He said there use to be several. I guess the slight chance of the BRONCOS keeping Tebow isn't true.

Dzone
03-20-2012, 09:38 PM
Gary Miller noticed at Dove Valley that not one single photo of Tebow at Dove Valley on the walls. He said there use to be several. I guess the slight chance of the BRONCOS keeping Tebow isn't true.
Damn thats brutal. I guess they want to make people forget about him.

weazel
03-20-2012, 09:56 PM
can someone please just get a date with Tebow lined up for wayninja??? I'm scared he's gonna do something drastic! It's not worth it way... it'll work out in the end.

Hey I think they should keep him too, I think he would be a good weapon that would cause mismatches on defense but they are actually doing him a favor in trading him, maybe he gets a shot at being a QB this season instead of sitting on the bench for 90% of the time only to come out as a gadget.

wayninja
03-20-2012, 10:13 PM
can someone please just get a date with Tebow lined up for wayninja??? I'm scared he's gonna do something drastic! It's not worth it way... it'll work out in the end.

Hey I think they should keep him too, I think he would be a good weapon that would cause mismatches on defense but they are actually doing him a favor in trading him, maybe he gets a shot at being a QB this season instead of sitting on the bench for 90% of the time only to come out as a gadget.

I'm a happily married non-virgin, Weazel. Don't feel much like apologizing for being disappointed at how we are treating a class act who gave us some of the most memorable wins in recent memory.

You feel like gloating, I guess this is time, enjoy it bud.

weazel
03-20-2012, 10:22 PM
I'm a happily married non-virgin, Weazel. Don't feel much like apologizing for being disappointed at how we are treating a class act who gave us some of the most memorable wins in recent memory.

You feel like gloating, I guess this is time, enjoy it bud.

Im gloating because I said they should keep him? whatever bud...

wayninja
03-20-2012, 10:25 PM
Im gloating because I said they should keep him? whatever bud...

No, you're gloating because you said someone should line up a date or whatever asinine comment it was. Don't really care to re-read.

weazel
03-20-2012, 10:33 PM
No, you're gloating because you said someone should line up a date or whatever asinine comment it was. Don't really care to re-read.

well because you asked why they are trading him, numerous people gave you valid answers but you continue to complain and cry conspiracy theories. It just seemed comical to me.

Listen, from what we've heard, they are only going to get a 5th rounder for him and I think that's a horrible trade off. Like I said, they should keep him, especially with that return.

wayninja
03-20-2012, 10:35 PM
well because you asked why they are trading him, numerous people gave you valid answers but you continue to complain and cry conspiracy theories. It just seemed comical to me.

Listen, from what we've heard, they are only going to get a 5th rounder for him and I think that's a horrible trade off. Like I said, they should keep him, especially with that return.

Actually, keeping him is what I've been saying.

And a lot of the answer I got were either contradictions or silly. Sue me for not buying every answer I was given.

Nomad
03-20-2012, 10:37 PM
BRONCOS will do Tebow the favor and make sure he gets to the Jags.

MOtorboat
03-20-2012, 10:38 PM
Actually, keeping him is what I've been saying.

And a lot of the answer I got were either contradictions or silly. Sue me for not buying every answer I was given.

Oh, there's been plenty of logical answers to your questions, you just apparently don't want to believe any of them, because none of them result in how you want them to.

wayninja
03-20-2012, 10:39 PM
Oh, there's been plenty of logical answers to your questions, you just apparently don't want to believe any of them, because none of them result in how you want them to.

That's not true. I totally believe you when you said Elway lied. That was finally a good answer. The first few you gave were contradictory platitudes.

MOtorboat
03-20-2012, 10:49 PM
That's not true. I totally believe you when you said Elway lied. That was finally a good answer. The first few you gave were contradictory platitudes.

That's because you can't get past one sentence stated by Elway LONG before they were presented with a situation where the could get an all time great in free agency.

At the time it was perfectly true. They did their due diligence, because as one poster told me "you have to pursue any free agent who is top 5 in the league at their position." They did that. That player wants to play for Denver.

NOW, they are able to trade a player who they didn't totally believe in. If they did completely believe in him, they would have declared him the starter, period, but all they said (AT THE TIME, which is a very key portion of this) would that he would be the starter going into CAMP.

Then, they were presented with a different situation. It doesn't mean he lied (though we have to tell that to people to somehow make them feel justified) it means shit changed.

MOtorboat
03-20-2012, 10:59 PM
Not to mention that statement was made just days after the season ended.

That's BEFORE the season evaluation by the front office. Well before. Elway maintained all along that they would not make a full determination until they evaluated the entire season, as a whole, after the season was over.

Frankly, to hold him to a statement, before that evaluation was conducted, is a little silly.

DenBronx
03-20-2012, 10:59 PM
Cromartie wanted no part of Tebow in November, or now

The Jets reportedly are interested in Tebow. Cromartie isn’t.

“We don’t need Tebow,” Cromartie wrote on Twitter. ”We sell out every home game let him go to Jacksonville Tampa or Miami. Our wildcat offense can b ran by J. Kerley or Joe McKnight we straight.”

READ FULL ARTICLE:
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2012/03/20/cromartie-wanted-no-part-of-tebow-in-november-or-now/

wayninja
03-20-2012, 11:04 PM
That's because you can't get past one sentence stated by Elway LONG before they were presented with a situation where the could get an all time great in free agency.

At the time it was perfectly true. They did their due diligence, because as one poster told me "you have to pursue any free agent who is top 5 in the league at their position." They did that. That player wants to play for Denver.

NOW, they are able to trade a player who they didn't totally believe in. If they did completely believe in him, they would have declared him the starter, period, but all they said (AT THE TIME, which is a very key portion of this) would that he would be the starter going into CAMP.

Then, they were presented with a different situation. It doesn't mean he lied (though we have to tell that to people to somehow make them feel justified) it means shit changed.

You win Mo, everything Elway ever said about Tebow was totally on the level. You've convinced mere there was never any intent to deceive or half-truth a situation. He's been totally up front, and this move surprises no-one. Tebow and Manning can't coexist so the stuff earlier has to be taken in a chronological context of when it was said and has no lasting meaning beyond the words leaving Elways lips.

MOtorboat
03-20-2012, 11:11 PM
You win Mo, everything Elway ever said about Tebow was totally on the level. You've convinced mere there was never any intent to deceive or half-truth a situation. He's been totally up front, and this move surprises no-one. Tebow and Manning can't coexist so the stuff earlier has to be taken in a chronological context of when it was said and has no lasting meaning beyond the words leaving Elways lips.

I'm not saying Elway hasn't had to politic his way through this. He moved from the "he's our starting quarterback going into camp" to a really non-commital "I hope he's the guy for a long, long time."

He's politicked his way through the whole thing. But what the hell else was he supposed to do?

Let me ask you that? What good does it do the team, that at the combine, he says, "we've reviewed the season. I was wrong in January. He's worthless to our team and we will be pursuing other options."

What good does that do? Explain how that would have helped the BRONCOS. I could care less about Tebow in that situation. How does saying that help the team?

wayninja
03-20-2012, 11:16 PM
I'm not saying Elway hasn't had to politic his way through this. He moved from the "he's our starting quarterback going into camp" to a really non-commital "I hope he's the guy for a long, long time."

He's politicked his way through the whole thing. But what the hell else was he supposed to do?

Let me ask you that? What good does it do the team, that at the combine, he says, "we've reviewed the season. I was wrong in January. He's worthless to our team and we will be pursuing other options."

What good does that do? Explain how that would have helped the BRONCOS. I could care less about Tebow in that situation. How does saying that help the team?

Again, you are right. Elway had absolutely no choice but to walk this line otherwise Tebow supporters would at best make his life miserable however they do that or at worst threaten his family. Now that Manning is here, no such considerations need be made.

Playing Tebow was best for the team and then ditching him was what was best for the team. Regardless of the outcome, his quarterback skills displayed in the option heavy, run first option proved beyond doubt that he's got nothing.

And again, you are right, it does nothing for the team. The only 2 options open to him were to dance the line he danced or say "**** YOU TEEBS, YOU SUCK BALLSACK!" Elway should continue to be as cut-throat as necessary to secure our future. I can't see how it would ever backfire.

weazel
03-20-2012, 11:18 PM
:popcorn:

MOtorboat
03-20-2012, 11:19 PM
Whine all day about people not answering your questions (when they did, and you didn't like the answers), and then get sarcastic and defensive when asked similar questions.

That makes sense.

Medford Bronco
03-20-2012, 11:22 PM
They want to trade him so that there is no circus calling for him to play with every incompletion that Manning has.

I wish him well. Great person but not a great QB imho at this time.

wayninja
03-20-2012, 11:23 PM
Whine all day about people not answering your questions (when they did, and you didn't like the answers), and then get sarcastic and defensive when asked similar questions.

That makes sense.

Actually when I started this thread, no one had answered my question. I apologize if the thread implied that I'd simply accept any explanation offered regardless of how it flies in the face of reality.

Also, you've sorta turned my questions from "Why are we trading Tebow" to "What does Elway REALLY feel about Tebow and did he lie about it". You may have to go through the latter to get to the former, but you are the one fixated on this aspect of it.

I don't care how much Elway lied, my question was about why we would trade him, and specifically (as reports were suggesting at the time) why we'd be willing to just cut him loose. Reports are now implying that we wouldn't do that. So, part if it already answered.

MOtorboat
03-20-2012, 11:31 PM
And yet 10 pages later you're still saying people didn't answer the question.

wayninja
03-20-2012, 11:33 PM
And yet 10 pages later you're still saying people didn't answer the question.

Ok, I call. Show me the quote.

Dapper Dan
03-20-2012, 11:38 PM
Wayne Ninja and Motorboat are surely married.

wayninja
03-20-2012, 11:40 PM
I love MO, true story. He rides my ass, but he does so out of love, I think. But not in a BeefStew sorta way.

Dapper Dan
03-20-2012, 11:43 PM
I love MO, true story. He rides my ass, but he does so out of love, I think. But not in a BeefStew sorta way.

I'm just happy he finally changed his avatar.

wayninja
03-20-2012, 11:44 PM
I'm just happy he finally changed his avatar.

You haven't mentioned mine. She's hot, right?

Dapper Dan
03-20-2012, 11:45 PM
You haven't mentioned mine. She's hot, right?

I'd hit it if I were a cartoon.

sneakers
03-21-2012, 04:52 AM
I don't get it either...he is making 2-3 million dollars a year for the next 3 seasons, where else are you going to find a backup that can win for that kind of money?

claymore
03-21-2012, 06:57 AM
I don't get it either...he is making 2-3 million dollars a year for the next 3 seasons, where else are you going to find a backup that can win for that kind of money?

He restructured his contract with the Broncos in Sept I believe... His contract balloons next year and will probably have to take a pay cut... Or get cut,...

in 2013, Tebow’s base salary jumps to $5.48 million and in 2013 it rises all the way to $7.145 million.

http://miami.cbslocal.com/2012/03/19/tebow-to-dolphins-next/

Sorry for the miami link, I cant remember where I originally read it.

gnomeflinger
03-21-2012, 11:28 AM
The Broncos don't want Tebow because of the media circus that surrounds him? I call BS.

catfish
03-21-2012, 11:30 AM
He restructured his contract with the Broncos in Sept I believe... His contract balloons next year and will probably have to take a pay cut... Or get cut,...

Sorry for the miami link, I cant remember where I originally read it.

I read elsewher it was closer to 2 mill base salary per year, those numbers have to be with incenvtives

vandammage13
03-21-2012, 11:33 AM

That's if he plays the majority of the snaps...If that's the case he's still a bargain.

If he's riding the bench he's not making much at all...It is a very incentive laden contract.

catfish
03-21-2012, 11:38 AM
That's if he plays the majority of the snaps...If that's the case he's still a bargain.

If he's riding the bench he's not making much at all...It is a very incentive laden contract.

Tebow cap #

http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci_20165465/tebow-and-manning-could-be-denver-teammates-but

His salary cap figure for 2012 is $3.142 million (including $1.1 million in base salary). His cap figure for 2013 is $2.624 million (including $1.055 million in base salary). His cap figure for 2013 is $2.239 million (including $670,000 in base salary).

Denver Native (Carol)
03-21-2012, 11:54 AM

No, Tim wouldn't be a distraction. Never. But the people clamoring for Tim would suffocate the team. And they know it.

wayninja
03-21-2012, 12:21 PM

No, Tim wouldn't be a distraction. Never. But the people clamoring for Tim would suffocate the team. And they know it.

More vacuous words. Suffocate? How? By force of will? By posting snarky things on twitter?

Wish they'd just be up front and say we don't believe in him.

rcsodak
03-21-2012, 03:13 PM
Snag in contract talks/trade. Denver wants $5M back.

KOBE_LA_MEXICAN
03-21-2012, 03:24 PM
we're trading him cuz we got the BEST QB eva!

weazel
03-21-2012, 03:29 PM
this from the ESPN article on the trade snag...

The same money issues in Tebow's contract also caused complications for Jacksonville trying to complete a trade for Tebow earlier, sources told Schefter.

I guess that shits all over the Elway was scared of a Jax trade theory :rolleyes: damn trolls

SR
03-21-2012, 03:30 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XxI7_YemVlE&feature=related

weazel
03-21-2012, 03:31 PM

congratulations on making my ignore list the fastest anyone ever has!

BroncoStud
03-21-2012, 03:34 PM
this from the ESPN article on the trade snag...

The same money issues in Tebow's contract also caused complications for Jacksonville trying to complete a trade for Tebow earlier, sources told Schefter.

I guess that shits all over the Elway was scared of a Jax trade theory :rolleyes: damn trolls

So basically the Jags read the contract and the Jets didn't... Rex Ruan was so giddy to make a headline he didn't bother with the fine print.

BroncoStud
03-21-2012, 03:35 PM

How old are you? Just curious...

bcbronc
03-21-2012, 09:06 PM
I guess we finally got way's answer...we needed the rebate cash to get Manning some weapons! Unfortunately, because NYJ cheaped out, we're going to have to aim a little lower than originally planned. :tsk:

wayninja
03-21-2012, 09:16 PM
I guess we finally got way's answer...we needed the rebate cash to get Manning some weapons! Unfortunately, because NYJ cheaped out, we're going to have to aim a little lower than originally planned. :tsk:

It almost makes you wonder what we could have done if we had any 'weapons' last year.

Medford Bronco
03-21-2012, 09:19 PM
So basically the Jags read the contract and the Jets didn't... Rex Ruan was so giddy to make a headline he didn't bother with the fine print.

Its the Jets remember, what did you expect from that dysfunctional mess :lol: