PDA

View Full Version : Regardless of How Manning Does, Will Broncos Ultimately Regret Giving Up on Tebow?

vandammage13
03-20-2012, 09:39 AM
Whether Manning wins a SB here or has a career ending injury, will Tebow go on to have a career that will make the Broncos regret dealing him and not at least keeping him on the roster? (This is assuming reports are true that they do intend to deal him, of course)

broken12
03-20-2012, 09:40 AM
No hell no

Lancane
03-20-2012, 09:42 AM
No...

Timmy!
03-20-2012, 09:59 AM
I think there needs to be more choices. I don't think they regret it but i don't think he flames out of the league either. He could develope into a legit starter in time, and play as an OK Qb for lets say 7 years......if manning gets us to a Superbowl I wouldn't regret it. I honestly hope Tebow is moved asap if the Broncos are going to move him so the fanbois can move on.

vandammage13
03-20-2012, 11:10 AM
I think there needs to be more choices. I don't think they regret it but i don't think he flames out of the league either. He could develope into a legit starter in time, and play as an OK Qb for lets say 7 years......if manning gets us to a Superbowl I wouldn't regret it. I honestly hope Tebow is moved asap if the Broncos are going to move him so the fanbois can move on.

The reason only 2 simple choices of "Yes or No" were included is because the premise of the poll disregards how Manning does for us...

You figure best case scenario is we get a productive Manning for 3 years or so and a SB out of it, but regardless of that where do we go after Manning? That is where regretting or not regretting moving on from Tebow comes in...

Will we regret not hanging on to him to take over for Manning in a few years if Tebow proves to be a good player for someone else, or will moving on prove to be the right move because Tebow is not and never will be a Franchise QB?

SR
03-20-2012, 11:27 AM
No.

HORSEPOWER 56
03-20-2012, 11:30 AM
I didn't vote because the choice I would've picked isn't available. I would've picked no because the Broncos don't think he's the future and by the time Manning retires, we'll have some new, young QB to get excited about/hate for no reason. Such is life as a Broncos fan...

topscribe
03-20-2012, 11:31 AM
Exactly. I voted no, but do I believe Tebow will never be a starting QB? "Never" is an awfully big word. Just a poorly worded poll, IMO . . .

underrated29
03-20-2012, 11:33 AM
If tebow gets a fair shot at being developed, which he didnt here, then yes, tebow imo will go on to have a great career and I think we will regret sending him on his way. But we will not regret getting manning. We do not have to trade tebow, we arent forced to do anything.

I still say we keep him, but thats me.

NightTerror218
03-20-2012, 11:36 AM
I think possibly yes they could. If he does improve with some real coaching on mechanics and off season work.

But ultimately I think it would take Tebow getting a super bowl win before Broncos then hell ya they will.

wayninja
03-20-2012, 11:39 AM
I voted yes, but there are some important caveats;

1. I think the 'regret' will come (if it does) more for what Manning does and less about what Tebow does. If Manning doesn't deliver, this will not have been worth it, really. I hope I'm wrong here, but I just don't see a SB caliber team that only needed a QB, and I have my doubts about Manning's recovery and age. Again, I really hope I'm being paranoid for no reason.
2. Tebow will only find success if he gets the support he needs. It's known that he is a project, that means that a FO has to stick out growing pains developing him in order to reap a profit. I'm not sure many teams are willing to do that. If he gets that support though, I see him turning into a very successful QB. He's got the ability to lead, he's got arm strength and athleticism and speed. He just needs to build confidence and learn reads and then his path is set to grow.

weazel
03-20-2012, 11:40 AM
Whether Manning wins a SB here or has a career ending injury, will Tebow go on to have a career that will make the Broncos regret dealing him and not at least keeping him on the roster? (This is assuming reports are true that they do intend to deal him, of course)

well I dont have a crystal ball so I cant answer this for you... anyone else's crystal ball working?

BigDaddyBronco
03-20-2012, 11:41 AM
I never like to bet against someone with the character and work ethic that Tebow has. If anyone can change their throwing mechanics and put the time in to becoming a good QB, Tebow is the guy. Will he succeed? Who knows? But I doubt it will be the lack of effort that does him in.

jhildebrand
03-20-2012, 11:48 AM
Given the options, I chose yes. The writing is on the wall. The league is changing as it did 15-20 years ago. The last time it changed it was a heavy run league where coaches dared the other team's QB to beat them with their arm. The league today is one where every rule is geared towards passers. The D's are designed to stop passing QB's and therein lies the problem. D's aren't great at stopping sophisticated run offenses (which this team was in 11).

The change coming in the league is QB's more akin to Cam Newton, RGIII, etc... Tim Tebow is the prototype. He is the guy, IMO, GM's will be scouring the college ranks for in 5-7 years. Why? :confused: Because it doesn't matter if you have a Tom Brady on the other side of the ball if he doesn't get to hold the ball.

Finally, I am one who believes Tebow will improve and improve immensely. He was a high percentage passer at FL. We were told he couldn't start a game. The he couldn't win. Then he wouldn't win consistently. Then there was NO WAY he could lead the team to the PO's. Then he was gonna get smeared by the League's #1 D. There is no way he was fooling Pitt. At some point you just quit betting against the kid.

Ravage!!!
03-20-2012, 12:02 PM
No.

jlarsiii
03-20-2012, 12:06 PM
I voted no.

Npba900
03-21-2012, 07:38 AM
The reason only 2 simple choices of "Yes or No" were included is because the premise of the poll disregards how Manning does for us...

You figure best case scenario is we get a productive Manning for 3 years or so and a SB out of it, but regardless of that where do we go after Manning? That is where regretting or not regretting moving on from Tebow comes in...

Will we regret not hanging on to him to take over for Manning in a few years if Tebow proves to be a good player for someone else, or will moving on prove to be the right move because Tebow is not and never will be a Franchise QB?

Would we also be fair to measure where Tebow's performance and success would be after the same 3 years? The reason why I ask, if Tebow has as much promise, talent and long term success as many of his supporters believe, shouldn't Tebow over the next 3 years win a starting job somewhere in the NFL? If Tebow cannot win a starting
job in the NFL between 2012 and 2014 then JE was right to part ways with Tebow.

Tebow has yet to legitimately win a starting job in the NFL performing and executing in a conventional NFL offense as a QB. Conventional wise Tebow could not beat out Quinn nor Orton and was 3rd on the depth chart last season. However, Tebow played better within a Read-Option offensive scheme than Quinn nor Orton could have done. The only problem is in 2012 had Tebow been the starter, teams would have adjusted to the Read-Option had EFX had even reinstalled the gimmicky offense

I don't think teams are going to adjust to Tebow's limited talents within the Option/Read offense, Tebow is going to need to adjust to the conventional offensive schemes of the team he is playing for. I'll be watching how much Tebow improves and excel over the next 3 years as I'll be watching Mannning's success or lack thereof over 3 years.

Npba900
03-21-2012, 07:45 AM
Given the options, I chose yes. The writing is on the wall. The league is changing as it did 15-20 years ago. The last time it changed it was a heavy run league where coaches dared the other team's QB to beat them with their arm. The league today is one where every rule is geared towards passers. The D's are designed to stop passing QB's and therein lies the problem. D's aren't great at stopping sophisticated run offenses (which this team was in 11).

The change coming in the league is QB's more akin to Cam Newton, RGIII, etc... Tim Tebow is the prototype. He is the guy, IMO, GM's will be scouring the college ranks for in 5-7 years. Why? :confused: Because it doesn't matter if you have a Tom Brady on the other side of the ball if he doesn't get to hold the ball.

Finally, I am one who believes Tebow will improve and improve immensely. He was a high percentage passer at FL. We were told he couldn't start a game. The he couldn't win. Then he wouldn't win consistently. Then there was NO WAY he could lead the team to the PO's. Then he was gonna get smeared by the League's #1 D. There is no way he was fooling Pitt. At some point you just quit betting against the kid.

Well maybe another NFL team will allow your theory on Tebow to come to frution. In any regard Tebow will need to go to a team and win the starting job as a conventional-mechanically-sound NFL QB.

Hopefully Elway and Tebow can sit down and work out something that would allow Tebow to go to a team that could actually give him a chance to win a starting job. The first team that comes to mind would probably be the Browns and Tim challenges Colt McCoy.

MileHighCrew
03-21-2012, 07:47 AM
No, maybe the fans will but it isn't about the fans. Tebow isn't Elway's guy and I trust Elway to build the Broncos with or without Tebow. No matter how this turns out, he made the right choice going for Manning.

SOCALORADO.
03-21-2012, 08:03 AM
I vote we dont have anymore polls with Tebow as an option.
Tebow is gone. Deal with it. Accept it. Move on. Yes, hes as good as gone.
If you still cant stand the fact that hes no longer a bronco,
wherever he lands, you can leave here and go to their fanboards
and be a tebowite there.
And you can even create all kinds of polls there all about Tebow.
One of the Tebowites should just make their own tebow website and
they all can congregate there.
You know, and discuss if his throwing motion really does matter, and how hes
an awesome runner, and stuff. and how one day, hes gonna get his shot.

Peyton_To_Denver
03-21-2012, 08:35 AM
Nope nope nope and nope again. You can't go wrong with peyton manning on board the broncos ship, everyone should relax because this is going to be an incredible year

TXBRONC
03-21-2012, 08:40 AM
It's not that simple. Because that assumes he will either be a great quarterback or he wont be. I just don't like making those kinds of assumptions. I'm HP on this I would say No based on the fact that EFX obviously doesn't see Tebow as the future of this team. That answer doesn't make the assumption that it's one way or the other on whether or not Tebow succeeds.

Dirk
03-21-2012, 08:45 AM
I voted yes just to bug Clay and MO.

vandammage13
03-21-2012, 09:27 AM
This poll is actually much closer than I anticipated....I thought for sure the overwhelming majority would vote "No"

wayninja
03-21-2012, 09:32 AM
Nope nope nope and nope again. You can't go wrong with peyton manning on board the broncos ship, everyone should relax because this is going to be an incredible year

Well that's a relief.

tomjonesrocks
03-21-2012, 10:10 AM
Really hard to say IMO.

Tebow never had a full offseason with a competent coaching staff. I really wish we'd have worked with him this offseason before moving him just in case.

A Jags 3rd is not bad though, if you are hell-bent on moving him.

vandammage13
03-21-2012, 10:30 AM
Really hard to say IMO.

Tebow never had a full offseason with a competent coaching staff. I really wish we'd have worked with him this offseason before moving him just in case.

A Jags 3rd is not bad though, if you are hell-bent on moving him.

I agree...I really don't see the point in moving him (Even though a prospective 3rd rounder is decent consolation).

It's not like a player of Manning's caliber and clout would be threatened by the "circus."

At worst, Tebow is a relatively inexpensive backup who has proven he can come in and win games with little prep time. This could be invaluable as it is highly likely Manning will miss a couple of games here and there due to his age.

At best, Tebow could develop into a QB that could potentially take over for Manning in 3 or 4 seasons....If he doesn't look to have improved then you can part ways.

I just don't see the point in dealing him. There's really nothing to lose for keeping him.

Npba900
03-22-2012, 09:25 AM
If tebow gets a fair shot at being developed, which he didnt here, then yes, tebow imo will go on to have a great career and I think we will regret sending him on his way. But we will not regret getting manning. We do not have to trade tebow, we arent forced to do anything.

I still say we keep him, but thats me.

Tebow got a fair chance while he was here and then some. When you think about it, he was given a chance to beat out both Quinn and Orton and wasn't able to do so and was regulated to 3rd on the depth chart. He was allowed to start 11 games and was not able to master the basic fundamentals of a conventional passing offense from within the pocket and from behind center and failed miserable.

After the 2011 season EFX saw the righting on the wall with the Tebow experiment and the conclusion was Tebow was not the QBOTF. JE has said over-n-over Tebow is a Great Football player......just not a Great QB and no matter how much development you put into making Tebow better......Tebow won't improve much from what we saw in 2011.......he simply doesn't have the skill set and talents to be the long term solution-franchise QB in the NFL.

The NYJets will find this out soon or maybe they already know Tim will not be their QBOTF and plan to utilize him as SLASH type player and start to whisper in his ear this year and next year on whether he has ever considered switching positions to H-Back-Tight End. If Tims pride and ego don't get in the way, he could actually have a great career as a TE. But we will see.

Npba900
03-22-2012, 09:33 AM
I vote we dont have anymore polls with Tebow as an option.
Tebow is gone. Deal with it. Accept it. Move on. Yes, hes as good as gone.
If you still cant stand the fact that hes no longer a bronco,
wherever he lands, you can leave here and go to their fanboards
and be a tebowite there.
And you can even create all kinds of polls there all about Tebow.
One of the Tebowites should just make their own tebow website and
they all can congregate there.
You know, and discuss if his throwing motion really does matter, and how hes
an awesome runner, and stuff. and how one day, hes gonna get his shot.

I don't think the Tebow fans should be expected to quit Tebow cold turkey. Hell I had the hardest time getting use to Cutler getting traded but moved on after about 2 years. Expect the same for the Tebow fans as well. They will always "Think-What-If". It's a normal process.

vandammage13
03-22-2012, 09:41 AM
I don't think the Tebow fans should be expected to quit Tebow cold turkey. Hell I had the hardest time getting use to Cutler getting traded but moved on after about 2 years. Expect the same for the Tebow fans as well. They will always "Think-What-If". It's a normal process.

Hell, it even took some people a couple weeks to stop talking about Kyle Freaking Orton after he was traded, so I would assume it will be no different for Teebs.

Northman
03-22-2012, 09:57 AM
No. And i dont think Tebow will ever be a full fledged starter. He will most likely be the QB version of Devin Hester for the rest of his career.

vandammage13
03-22-2012, 10:43 AM
No. And i dont think Tebow will ever be a full fledged starter. He will most likely be the QB version of Devin Hester for the rest of his career.

Hester is one of the greatest return men of all time...

So are you going on record saying that Tebow will be one of the greatest QBs of all time? :confused:

Ravage!!!
03-22-2012, 10:49 AM

So are you going on record saying that Tebow will be one of the greatest QBs of all time? :confused:

Hester wants to be a starting WR. He's REALLY good at returning kicks, but not so good as a WR. He's a fill in type of WR.

Tebow most likely will have the same career as a QB. Never very good, but a fill in type of player. One that can come in from time to time, taking a play as a RUNNER from the QB position. Someone that wants to be a starting QB, and is really good at running the football, but not good enough at throwing.

vandammage13
03-22-2012, 10:51 AM
Hester wants to be a starting WR. He's REALLY good at returning kicks, but not so good as a WR. He's a fill in type of WR.

Tebow most likely will have the same career as a QB. Never very good, but a fill in type of player. One that can come in from time to time, taking a play as a RUNNER from the QB position. Someone that wants to be a starting QB, and is really good at running the football, but not good enough at throwing.

Yeah I followed what North was saying....I was just trying to get my daily quota for a troll post out of the way early.

Northman
03-22-2012, 10:58 AM

Nah, read what you wrote again.

So in essence, Tebow will probably be one of the greatest special package guys of alltime. But not QB.

Cugel
03-22-2012, 05:06 PM
I think Tebow will be the Jets starting QB by mid-season. It's a similar situation with Orton here and Mark Sanchez there. On the one-hand there's the established QB who is clearly the better passer.

But, does he produce wins? Does he make critical mistakes? Are the fans restless at the thought of Sanchez leading them to further seasons of mediocrity?

They're going to be calling for Tebow the minute Sanchez throws a pick. It will be a total circus in the NY media. Tebow (and I'm NOT a fan of his) is EXCITING.

He's different. He's fun to watch because you have no idea what he's going to do. Fall flat on his face trying to throw the ball and then run for 25 yards on 3rd and 13. It's just a wild ride.

And those 4th quarter "miracles" will happen in NY too and the fans will get excited.

I just don't think that a guy who throws as badly as Tebow does will ever win a SB. Virtually the entire league is united in that opinion too starting with Elway.

But, it's going to be interesting to find out, especially now as it's the Jets and I have ZERO emotion invested and can watch them with a certain detachment and enjoy the show! :beer: