PDA

View Full Version : Long-Term Plan at Quarterback

battherastard
03-19-2012, 11:38 PM
As we know, Peyton Manning, while still very much a top five quarterback, is not in the prime of his career and has just several years left in his career if that much.

John Elway would be wise to acquire a young quarterback that would be willing to sit behind Peyton Manning for the next 2-3 years while learning and preparing to become the starter when Peyton's time is done.

The question is who could that be? A rookie in the draft like Kirk Cousins, Russell Wilson, Brock Osweiler, Nick Foles, Ryan Lindley, etc.

Could you go another route and either trade a pick fro Bryan Hoyer or that type of developmental quarterback, or is the answer already on the roster? (Adam Weber)

Discuss. :coffee:

Medford Bronco
03-19-2012, 11:41 PM
I see Hoyer a lot in NE. He is decent. I would love Mallet from them.

I would not mind a draft choice. Will Cousins be around when we draft say in the late 2nd round?

battherastard
03-19-2012, 11:45 PM
Cousins is projected to go in round 2-3. But I would assume early 2nd round considering how much teams are willing to reach for a quarterback.

sneakers
03-19-2012, 11:47 PM
Cousins is projected to go in round 2-3. But I would assume early 2nd round considering how much teams are willing to reach for a quarterback.

Kirt Cousins sucks ass.

sneakers
03-19-2012, 11:47 PM
Also if you rearrange the letters in the OP's name you get "Battlestar Galactica"

Medford Bronco
03-19-2012, 11:48 PM
Kirt Cousins sucks ass.

Who does not suck ass sneakers that can help us long term. Tebow sucks ass in some peoples eyes as well.

chazoe60
03-19-2012, 11:58 PM
I think the plan is to go the Favre/Rodgers route. Look for Osweiler, Cousins, or Foles to be our 2nd round pick. Also Mallet is a wildcard.

TimHippo
03-20-2012, 12:00 AM
Russell Wilson's 5-10. Kind of short for a stormtrooper.

sneakers
03-20-2012, 12:01 AM
Who does not suck ass sneakers that can help us long term. Tebow sucks ass in some peoples eyes as well.

No, any quarterback from Michigan State sucks....Tony Banks anyone?

sneakers
03-20-2012, 12:03 AM
Russell Wilson's 5-10. Kind of short for a stormtrooper.

Badgers!? Badgers!? We don't need no stinkin BADGERS!

CrazyHorse
03-20-2012, 12:05 AM
Maybe we have one on the roster...

Army Bronco
03-20-2012, 12:08 AM
How about this one guy who has at least some playoff experience, not a great QB but can improve. This guy showed he needs time to learn and some flashes of brilliance.. I think his name is something like Tim..something..just a thought. Lol

HORSEPOWER 56
03-20-2012, 12:12 AM
I have a feeling that it's going to be Brandon Weeden. Elway and Fox really like him and the only thing keeping him from being a 1st round pick is his age. I don't think his age is that much of an issue to Elway or Fox. We have no shot at the top 3 QBs and I don't think EFX is that enamored with guys like Cousins, Foles, Osweiler or Wilson.

wayninja
03-20-2012, 12:17 AM
Maybe we have one on the roster...

Weber?

TimHippo
03-20-2012, 12:22 AM
How about this one guy who has at least some playoff experience, not a great QB but can improve. This guy showed he needs time to learn and some flashes of brilliance.. I think his name is something like Tim..something..just a thought. Lol

It's obvious that Elway wants to get rid of him. I doubt he wants to even work with Tebow on QB tips this off season. He wants to wash his hands of Tebow and the remnants of the McDummy regime. I dont' necessarily agree with it but Tebow was never in Elways' plans.

wayninja
03-20-2012, 12:25 AM
Our long-term plan is for the world to end before it's an issue.

MileHighGuy
03-20-2012, 12:29 AM
Our long-term plan is for the world to end before it's an issue.

Please leave the forum

RebelRocker
03-20-2012, 12:31 AM
I have a feeling that it's going to be Brandon Weeden. Elway and Fox really like him and the only thing keeping him from being a 1st round pick is his age. I don't think his age is that much of an issue to Elway or Fox. We have no shot at the top 3 QBs and I don't think EFX is that enamored with guys like Cousins, Foles, Osweiler or Wilson.

On the contrary, this was on Jack Elway's twitter.

Jack Elway ‏ @JelwayIII Reply Retweet Favorite · Open
@BrockOsweiler heard great things from my dad, way to go brotha!

That, and it was reported that EFX liked Osweiler, too. I'm willing to bet it's down to one of those two QB's.

wayninja
03-20-2012, 12:32 AM
Please leave the forum

Yes sir! I'll get right on it!

But only if you promise to combine both this and 'epic fail' in an upcoming post. Sooner is better.

Dapper Dan
03-20-2012, 01:08 AM
I would love to keep Tebow.
After that..
I pass on this draft class or any current players. Barring some setback, I really like the future classes.
Tyler Bray. Aaron Murray. Tyler Wilson. (Jones and Barkley would be out of our range). Aaron Rodgers little brother, maybe. Danny O'Brien. EJ Manual.

I have a feeling Weeden and Manning would retire together.

Army Bronco
03-20-2012, 01:49 AM

It's obvious that Elway wants to get rid of him. I doubt he wants to even work with Tebow on QB tips this off season. He wants to wash his hands of Tebow and the remnants of the McDummy regime. I dont' necessarily agree with it but Tebow was never in Elways' plans. Your probably right . Elway is just wanting to be the VP, not a coach. I can respect that. It's just a little hard for me to enjoy this because I've hated the Colts for so long. I remember in Jan 04 when we were on our way to Iraq and they told us on the plane that the Colts won. Man I hated Manning

FanInAZ
03-20-2012, 02:02 AM
Please leave the forum

Why, because he has a sense of humor? If poking a little fun at our own team’s resent cycle of futility was grounds for making people leave, then there would be less than a half a dozen posters here.

Army Bronco
03-20-2012, 02:32 AM
I'm interested in seeing what defensive free agents we can real in now. U bet Dawkins will come back for sure. This is first legitimately good shot at a SB in years. Who is left out there for us to snag?

MileHighGuy
03-20-2012, 02:34 AM
Why, because he has a sense of humor? If poking a little fun at our own team’s resent cycle of futility was grounds for making people leave, then there would be less than a half a dozen posters here.

He told me to do the same thing a couple threads ago. He's a bit of a d0uche

bcbronc
03-20-2012, 02:41 AM
I think long term, we're in an ideal situation at QB. We draft a developmental guy in the mid to late rounds, either this year or next. There won't be pressure to get the kid onto the field because he won't be a 1st or 2nd rounder, and the rook will get to learn the game for a couple of years from two of the all-time great QBs. Finding the right guy is obviously the hard part, but it should be a good learning environment for a young QB.

wayninja
03-20-2012, 02:52 AM
He told me to do the same thing a couple threads ago. He's a bit of a d0uche

I did no such thing. I will not be slandered in this way and demand satisfaction.

Dapper Dan
03-20-2012, 02:57 AM
I did no such thing. I will not be slandered in this way and demand satisfaction.

He's probably thinking of Mo. You guys are like step brothers. You look just alike.

wayninja
03-20-2012, 03:12 AM
He's probably thinking of Mo. You guys are like step brothers. You look just alike.

Mo is more minuet, ballet russes, crepe Suzette, whereas I love to rock and roll and a hotdog makes me lose contol.

Dapper Dan
03-20-2012, 03:17 AM
Mo is more minuet, ballet russes, crepe Suzette, whereas I love to rock and roll and a hotdog makes me lose contol.

I still call you Wayne Ninja in my head.

wayninja
03-20-2012, 03:20 AM
I still call you Wayne Ninja in my head.

And I've been thinking of changing my screen name to it. It's got a Keith stone badass quality to it.

Lancane
03-20-2012, 03:23 AM
No, any quarterback from Michigan State sucks....Tony Banks anyone?

Yeah what about him? He was our starting quarterback when I was there my freshman and sophomore year.

Lancane
03-20-2012, 03:27 AM

That, and it was reported that EFX liked Osweiler, too. I'm willing to bet it's down to one of those two QB's.

I have a feeling that we're going to make a move for Osweiler.

701Bronco
03-20-2012, 03:28 AM
keep Tebow, problem solved. Fawk Weeden

CoachChaz
03-20-2012, 06:50 AM
I think long term, we're in an ideal situation at QB. We draft a developmental guy in the mid to late rounds, either this year or next. There won't be pressure to get the kid onto the field because he won't be a 1st or 2nd rounder, and the rook will get to learn the game for a couple of years from two of the all-time great QBs. Finding the right guy is obviously the hard part, but it should be a good learning environment for a young QB.

How often does this plan work and who was the last team/player it worked for?

UnderArmour
03-20-2012, 06:54 AM

Weeden doesn't even make sense anyway. Manning is 36. If he plays for 3 more years, Weeden is 31, 32 before he would get his first career start. Keeping Tebow and using him as a gadget player while developing him to be the QB of the future makes the most sense and does the most to increase his trade value. There's nothing to say that we HAVE to dump Tebow off now when he's still under contract for 3 more years.

MileHighGuy
03-20-2012, 06:56 AM
using him as a gadget player while developing him to be the QB of the future makes the most sense and does the most to increase his trade value.

Wow, just wow. Epic fail right here. QB of the future? What are you smoking? They say adults can learn foreign languages like kids can. Same thing with older athletes. This guy is beyond a reclamation project

UnderArmour
03-20-2012, 07:00 AM
Wow, just wow. Epic fail right here. QB of the future? What are you smoking? They say adults can learn foreign languages like kids can. Same thing with older athletes. This guy is beyond a reclamation project

dude u just dont understand tim tebow intangible he wil b hall of fame qb i wud say we got montana and young on our roster cuz both player will b in hall of fame u r beyond reclamation project cuz u dont see dat peyton will b lucky 2 even make it out of camp with job and dat y elway want 2 trade him. tim tebow leadership mite rub off on manning tho and make him better player so bronco will go 16-0 but with no tim tebow intangible on our roster 2 heal manning neck bronco will lose lot of game so it make sense 2 keep him as team cleric but u dont understand INTANGIBLES clearly so wut u smoking?

TXBRONC
03-20-2012, 07:00 AM
As we know, Peyton Manning, while still very much a top five quarterback, is not in the prime of his career and has just several years left in his career if that much.

John Elway would be wise to acquire a young quarterback that would be willing to sit behind Peyton Manning for the next 2-3 years while learning and preparing to become the starter when Peyton's time is done.

The question is who could that be? A rookie in the draft like Kirk Cousins, Russell Wilson, Brock Osweiler, Nick Foles, Ryan Lindley, etc.

Could you go another route and either trade a pick fro Bryan Hoyer or that type of developmental quarterback, or is the answer already on the roster? (Adam Weber)

Discuss. :coffee:

He hasn't played in over a year and has had four neck surgeries he may not be a top five quarterback.

SOCALORADO.
03-20-2012, 07:49 AM
Guys Timmy is gone. Accept it.
As for who will be the heir apparent, ive been telling you guys for months the Elway wants Osweiller.
Hes super athletic, 6'8", and has a cannon. And hes close friends with the elways and Coach Errickson, who recruited Osweiller is close friends with the Elways.
Get ready for Osweiller.

Npba900
03-20-2012, 07:53 AM

That ship has sailed. JE is going to roll the dice that T2 will not comeback to haunt him as a starting QB for another NFL team. JE made the tough call and realized that T2 is just too much of project and is so mechanically flawed and challenged, the risk would have been to great with experimenting with Tebow for 2012 and 2013.

Nomad
03-20-2012, 08:47 AM

It sucks for Tebow that a good part of his teammates have already said farewell before he's already been traded. Watching Mike & Mike, DT was on basically saying seeya.....thanks for the Pittsburgh game.

Miami signed David Garrard, Jacksonville signed Henne, Patriots aren't trading Mallet.......it'll be interesting to see what team bites on Tebow. Perhaps Eagles or Bills could be a landing spot, but I won't be shocked if no team offers a trade.

Once Manning signs the dotted line, we'll find out.......wouldn't that be something if contract negotiations fail:shocked::lol:......claymore would have to be put into a mental institution.:D

Nomad
03-20-2012, 08:47 AM
Guys Timmy is gone. Accept it.
As for who will be the heir apparent, ive been telling you guys for months the Elway wants Osweiller.
Hes super athletic, 6'8", and has a cannon. And hes close friends with the elways and Coach Errickson, who recruited Osweiller is close friends with the Elways.
Get ready for Osweiller.

Dan McGuire!

Npba900
03-20-2012, 08:55 AM
Dan McGuire!

Thats what I was thinking.....those tall QB's just don't seem to make it in the NFL.

wayninja
03-20-2012, 09:29 AM
It sucks for Tebow that a good part of his teammates have already said farewell before he's already been traded. Watching Mike & Mike, DT was on basically saying seeya.....thanks for the Pittsburgh game.

Miami signed David Garrard, Jacksonville signed Henne, Patriots aren't trading Mallet.......it'll be interesting to see what team bites on Tebow. Perhaps Eagles or Bills could be a landing spot, but I won't be shocked if no team offers a trade.

Once Manning signs the dotted line, we'll find out.......wouldn't that be something if contract negotiations fail:shocked::lol:......claymore would have to be put into a mental institution.:D

This would be the mother of all **** ups. I'm knocking on wood as I write this.

RebelRocker
03-20-2012, 10:21 AM
I have a feeling that we're going to make a move for Osweiler.

Completely agree, Lancane. If we had not signed Manning, then I would say that Weeden would have been our most likely option. Now with Manning on board, it doesn't make sense to draft Weeden with his age being a factor. I think we'll go BPA at 25 or try to trade back and EFX takes Osweiler in the 2nd.

SOCALORADO.
03-20-2012, 10:55 AM
Dan McGuire!

Read about Osweiller. Hes extremely athletic and has good scrambling ability.
Dude had a full ride to Gonzaga for basketball and chose to play football instead.

Brock Osweiler, QB, Arizona State
Height: 6-7. Weight: 242.
Projected 40 Time: 4.70.
Hand: 9 7/8.
Projected Round (2012): 2-3.
3/5/12: Osweiler was moving up draft boards as teams prepared for the Combine. He hurt his climb by not working out in Indianapolis. Osweiler is going to need an impressive pro day to be the fourth quarterback selected. Brandon Weeden and Kirk Cousins are his competition, and they both worked out at the Combine.

Osweiler is big-armed pocket passer who has surprising mobility. The former basketball player has good athletic ability for being so tall. Looking at him, one would think he would be a statue in the pocket, but that is definitely not the case. As a junior this year, Osweiler completed 63 percent of his passes for 4,036 yards with 26 touchdowns and 13 interceptions. He also ran for 298 yards and three touchdowns. Osweiler set the school record for yards, completions and attempts. In 2010, he had only two starts, but played well, throwing for 797 yards and five touchdowns with zero interceptions while also running for 168 yards and a score.

Osweiler has real arm strength and the gun to be a starting quarterback in the NFL. He is very raw and needs some work. If Osweiler goes to a good coaching staff that can develop him for a few years, he could turn into something. It wouldn't be surprising if Osweiler's stock rises during the lead up to the draft. He should have stayed in school and improved before going pro.
http://walterfootball.com/draft2012QB.php

slim
03-20-2012, 10:59 AM
Read about Osweiller. Hes extremely athletic and has good scrambling ability.
Dude had a full ride to Gonzaga for basketball and chose to play football instead.

http://walterfootball.com/draft2012QB.php

He also has only 15 career starts....that really bothers me. I am flip-flopping on this every day....I like him, but 15 college starts doesn't translate into NFL success.

ChairmanBron
03-20-2012, 11:07 AM
He also has only 15 career starts....that really bothers me. I am flip-flopping on this every day....I like him, but 15 college starts doesn't translate into NFL success.

Having no starts college seem to mean something too.... See Matt Cassel.

Cugel
03-20-2012, 11:13 AM
Badgers!? Badgers!? We don't need no stinkin BADGERS!

:laugh: That's classic! Sadly, most people here have never seen Humphrey Bogart's movies and don't know what you are talking about! :tsk:

wayninja
03-20-2012, 11:17 AM
:laugh: That's classic! Sadly, most people here have never seen Humphrey Bogart's movies and don't know what you are talking about! :tsk:

That's actually from Weird Al's movie. But yeah.

slim
03-20-2012, 11:26 AM

Well, Cassell is a below average NFL QB. So if that is the goal, then let's do it!

turftoad
03-20-2012, 11:27 AM

Thats probably not a great example at this point.

bcbronc
03-20-2012, 01:10 PM
How often does this plan work and who was the last team/player it worked for?

Well Green Bay and New England are two obvious examples. Sure its not a guaranteed success so if you know of a way to quarantee getting a franchise qb for post manning, I'd love to hear it.

Fullback32
03-20-2012, 03:00 PM
I posted this in another thread, but felt it was the wrong place for it and deleted it from there. This is the right place.

Long term solution has to addressed, but what about short-term solution as back up for Manning? This is worrisome right now. I really waiting to see who is going to back up Mannning. With Quinn gone and Tebow possibly/probably gone, that leaves Adam Weber or a rookie from the draft. You might as well get Curtis Painter. So they have to go get a veteran, yes? But who is out there?

Charlie Batch - Pittsburgh
Kyle Boller - Oakland
Mark Brunell - Jets (Seriously?)
David Carr - Giants
Kellen Clemens - St. Louis
Kerry Collins - Indianapolis (he has to really be retiring this time, yes?)
Jake Delhomme - Houston (same with this guy)
Dennis Dixon - Pittsburgh
A.J. Feeley -St. Louis
Jeff Garcia - Houston (retire already)
Caleb Hanie - Chicago
Brian Hoyer - New England (gotta believe NE is bringing him back)
Josh Johnson - Tampa Bay
Byron Leftwich - Pittsburgh (god no)
J.P Losman - Miami
Luke McCown - Jacksonville
Donanvan McNabb - Minnesota (go retire, seriously)
Kevin O'Connell - N.Y. Jets
Curtis Painter - Indianapolis (Nooooooooooooooooo)
Chad Pennington - Miami (Made of glass)
Alex Smith - San Francisco (not happening for the obvious reasons. I can hear Harbaugh kissing his butt all the over here in Colorado Springs)
Billy Volek - San Diego
Vince Young - Philadelphia (wouldn't fit here I think. If Tebow was still the starter yes, but not behind Manning)

The only other rumor I've heard is that NE might be up for packaging Mallet with picks for Tebow, but that is more than likely hearsay. He might though. Bellichick does like to stockpile picks.

FanInAZ
03-20-2012, 03:02 PM

I haven't seen either movie, but I wouldn't be surprised Bogart did it first & then Weird Al satired it. That's what Al does. Nevertheless, I had no idea why Sneakers was making fun of his home state.

chazoe60
03-20-2012, 03:09 PM
I believe that signing Peyton Manning solidifies our QB spot for another 15 years. No, no I'm not saying Peyton will play till he's 51. I just think we'll be able to go the old school route of drafting a QB and letting him sit a while and learn. Now we have a great guy for that young man to learn from, not that Peyton will be a tudor but whoever the young guy is needs to get in Manning's hip pocket and just follow him around and learn by osmosis.

I think we need to draft a Manning type ie. a pocket QB hopefully with a high football IQ. I like Foles and Osweiler in this situation. Foles I consider to be a smart QB and Osweiler is so young that he could sit for 4 years learn everything he can and he'd still be a pretty young QB.

I had hopes for Tebow but this is the best situation for the Denver Broncos in the short term and quite possibly the long term also.

SOCALORADO.
03-20-2012, 03:14 PM
I believe that signing Peyton Manning solidifies our QB spot for another 15 years. No, no I'm not saying Peyton will play till he's 51. I just think we'll be able to go the old school route of drafting a QB and letting him sit a while and learn. Now we have a great guy for that young man to learn from, not that Peyton will be a tudor but whoever the young guy is needs to get in Manning's hip pocket and just follow him around and learn by osmosis.

I think we need to draft a Manning type ie. a pocket QB hopefully with a high football IQ. I like Foles and Osweiler in this situation. Foles I consider to be a smart QB and Osweiler is so young that he could sit for 4 years learn everything he can and he'd still be a pretty young QB.

I had hopes for Tebow but this is the best situation for the Denver Broncos in the short term and quite possibly the long term also.

I think its between those 2 and a third guy as well depending on what happens in the draft.
1 Osweiller
2 Foles
3 Cousins

FanInAZ
03-20-2012, 03:23 PM
I posted this in another thread, but felt it was the wrong place for it and deleted it from there. This is the right place.

Long term solution has to addressed, but what about short-term solution as back up for Manning? This is worrisome right now. I really waiting to see who is going to back up Mannning. With Quinn gone and Tebow possibly/probably gone, that leaves Adam Weber or a rookie from the draft. You might as well get Curtis Painter. So they have to go get a veteran, yes? But who is out there?

Kyle Boller - Oakland
David Carr - Giants
A.J. Feeley -St. Louis
Caleb Hanie - Chicago
Josh Johnson - Tampa Bay
J.P Losman - Miami
Alex Smith - San Francisco (not happening for the obvious reasons. I can hear Harbaugh kissing his butt all the over here in Colorado Springs)
Billy Volek - San Diego
Vince Young - Philadelphia (wouldn't fit here I think. If Tebow was still the starter yes, but not behind Manning)

The only other rumor I've heard is that NE might be up for packaging Mallet with picks for Tebow, but that is more than likely hearsay. He might though. Bellichick does like to stockpile picks.

I'll pass (no pun intended) on all of the QBs that wrecked their would-be play-offs bound teams:

Curtis Painter - Colts
Caleb Hanie - Bears
Kyle Boller - Raiders
Tyler Palko - Chiefs (you left him off your list)

On the other hand, the Texans had a trio of starters that the might consider making a trade for:

Matt Schaub - A bit risky, he's 30 & has had a number of injuries over his career. However, he been solid throughout his career.
Matt Leinart - Also a bit risky, he washed out with the Cards, and got knocked out for the season before he had a chance to prove that he had improved since.
T.J. Yates - Probably the least like QB that the Texans would want to give up. He's defiantly their QB of the future; the only question is how soon will that future arrive?

Cugel
03-20-2012, 03:35 PM
Mo is more minuet, ballet classes, crepe Suzette, whereas I love to rock and roll and a hotdog makes me lose control.

Er, ok Marlo Thomas. :eek:

Cugel
03-20-2012, 03:38 PM
I'll pass (no pun intended) on all of the QBs that wrecked their would-be play-offs bound teams:

Curtis Painter - Colts
Caleb Hanie - Bears
Kyle Boller - Raiders
Tyler Palko - Chiefs (you left him off your list)

On the other hand, the Texans had a trio of starters that the might consider making a trade for:

Matt Schaub - A bit risky, he's 30 & has had a number of injuries over his career. However, he been solid throughout his career.
Matt Leinart - Also a bit risky, he washed out with the Cards, and got knocked out for the season before he had a chance to prove that he had improved since.
T.J. Yates - Probably the least like QB that the Texans would want to give up. He's defiantly their QB of the future; the only question is how soon will that future arrive?

Clearly the Broncos hope their backup QB holds a clip-board. If Manning's neck injury returns, then they rolled snake eyes and no backup is going to help. At that point you punt on the season and then rebuild with a new QB the next year.

If he's just hurt and out for a couple of games, they need a backup. But before his neck injury, Manning never missed a game in over 120 starts. He hardly missed a down. They're counting on that.

For good or ill the Broncos are "all in" on Manning's ability to come back. If they're wrong, then the difference between Caleb Hanney and Matt Leinart won't matter much. :coffee:

Ravage!!!
03-20-2012, 04:01 PM

Yeah, and Cassel sucks

Cugel
03-20-2012, 04:06 PM

Kyle Boller - Oakland
David Carr - Giants
A.J. Feeley -St. Louis
Caleb Hanie - Chicago
Josh Johnson - Tampa Bay
J.P Losman - Miami
Billy Volek - San Diego

Holy crap! Jake Delhomme is still playing football? I thought he retired years ago! :eek:

ChairmanBron
03-20-2012, 04:11 PM
Well, Cassell is a below average NFL QB. So if that is the goal, then let's do it!

Thats probably not a great example at this point.

Yeah, and Cassel sucks

Exactly my point!

Osweiler played in a QB friendly Spread. He has nothing but potential at this point. I prefer to draft someone in with more experience playing in a pro-type offense and groom him for the future!

Cugel
03-20-2012, 04:14 PM
I haven't seen either movie, but I wouldn't be surprised Bogart did it first & then Weird Al satired it. That's what Al does. Nevertheless, I had no idea why Sneakers was making fun of his home state.

It's from The Treasure of Sierra Madre, 1948 film starring Humphrey Bogart (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0040897/quotes).

Fullback32
03-20-2012, 04:16 PM
Holy crap! Jake Delhomme is still playing football? I thought he retired years ago! :eek:

No doubt. I was surprised by some of the names on the UFA list for QB. If I remember right Delhomme was brought in by the Texans last year when Schaub went down. He lasted 1/4 of a game before he went down with a shoulder injury or something like that.

wayninja
03-20-2012, 05:20 PM
It's from The Treasure of Sierra Madre, 1948 film starring Humphrey Bogart (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0040897/quotes).

Right. BADGES is from movie/book, but Badgers is Weird Al satire. Wasn't arguing the Etymology, just the literal quote.

SmilinAssasSin27
03-20-2012, 05:41 PM
I don't hate Russell Wilson. He is short, but can play. Not the typical Badger QB.

SmilinAssasSin27
03-20-2012, 05:43 PM
Osweiler or BJ Coleman

Of the rookie QBs, the biggest upside/longest waiting period candidate is Osweiler. He's the best fit. Weber can be the backup and Osweiler can be the future. Dude is RAW, but shows all sorts of potential.

I don't hate Weeden, but if PM plays for even 3 years, Weeden is 32 before he even gets a shot.

RebelRocker
03-20-2012, 06:38 PM
Osweiler or BJ Coleman

Of the rookie QBs, the biggest upside/longest waiting period candidate is Osweiler. He's the best fit. Weber can be the backup and Osweiler can be the future. Dude is RAW, but shows all sorts of potential.

I don't hate Weeden, but if PM plays for even 3 years, Weeden is 32 before he even gets a shot.

If they wanted to draft a kid in the same mold as Manning to groom for the future, BJ Coleman makes a lot of sense. He could be had in the 4th-5th. I prefer the youth and upside of Osweiler, though.

Simple Jaded
03-20-2012, 07:29 PM

Can someone translate tweeter to english?.......

HORSEPOWER 56
03-20-2012, 07:33 PM

So, you really don't watch much football, huh? Delhomme actually started a couple of games for the Texans at the end of the season when TJ Yates got hurt. He actually played okay.

HORSEPOWER 56
03-20-2012, 07:34 PM
Can someone translate tweeter to english?.......

According to Jack Elway (Elway's son who attends college with Osweiler), Osweiler impressed Elway and Elway told that to Jack.

HORSEPOWER 56
03-20-2012, 07:36 PM
Peyton Manning is the longterm plan at QB, finding a QB to develope behind him should be the least of the Broncos worries.......

:lol: I really hope this is sarcasm.

Yeah the Colts thought the same thing and hedged their bets for Peyton every year, eventually those bets got called... they ended up 2-14 last year.

Simple Jaded
03-20-2012, 07:42 PM

I thought that was from Blazing Saddles or History of the World Part I.......

FanInAZ
03-20-2012, 07:51 PM
So, you really don't watch much football, huh? Delhomme actually started a couple of games for the Texans at the end of the season when TJ Yates got hurt. He actually played okay.

To be more accurate, he played in the season finally, but didn't start any games.

http://www.nfl.com/player/jakedelhomme/2500361/gamelogs

Simple Jaded
03-20-2012, 07:53 PM
:lol: I really hope this is sarcasm.

Yeah the Colts thought the same thing and hedged their bets for Peyton every year, eventually those bets got called... they ended up 2-14 last year.

Not sarcasm at all. Trading Tebow for Mallett or Gabbert would be one thing, but using a 2nd round pick on Weeden or Osweiler wouldn't make a hell of a lot of sense. Especially if a starter like Doug Martin were somehow still available. Personally, I'd rather see them use the 2nd round pick to move up and draft a better player.

Laugh all you want, but what amuses me is when Tebow was the starter the so-called consensus was "surround him with talent, do not draft a QB!" but now that Manning is the starter the Broncos have to hedge their bets.......

chazoe60
03-20-2012, 08:16 PM
Not sarcasm at all. Trading Tebow for Mallett or Gabbert would be one thing, but using a 2nd round pick on Weeden or Osweiler wouldn't make a hell of a lot of sense. Especially if a starter like Doug Martin were somehow still available. Personally, I'd rather see them use the 2nd round pick to move up and draft a better player.

Laugh all you want, but what amuses me is when Tebow was the starter the so-called consensus was "surround him with talent, do not draft a QB!" but now that Manning is the starter the Broncos have to hedge their bets.......

I've been calling for Osweiler or someone like him in the second since about midway through last season. We need a backup anyway you slice it and I think it would be a great idea to get a young guy like Osweiler to groom behind Manning for years so that hopefully when Manning does retire we're not stuck in another 15 year search for "the next guy". Have you not paid attention to Bronco football since Elway retired?

SmilinAssasSin27
03-20-2012, 08:28 PM
A solid option can likely be had in round 3. Perhaps even Osweiler.

HammeredOut
03-20-2012, 08:28 PM
I've been calling for Osweiler or someone like him in the second since about midway through last season. We need a backup anyway you slice it and I think it would be a great idea to get a young guy like Osweiler to groom behind Manning for years so that hopefully when Manning does retire we're not stuck in another 15 year search for "the next guy". Have you not paid attention to Bronco football since Elway retired?

No you don't.... You want Plummer back or something...

chazoe60
03-20-2012, 08:35 PM
No you don't.... You want Plummer back or something...

Huh? Don't make me e-slap you around HO.

Canmore
03-20-2012, 08:35 PM
Huh? Don't make me e-slap you around HO.

Feel free.

HammeredOut
03-20-2012, 08:39 PM
Tebow has a cap number of under 2 million. That would be a good back up long term QB to start...

HORSEPOWER 56
03-20-2012, 08:42 PM

Manning is 36 years old and coming off a season where he didn't play after 4 neck surgeries... The Broncos protected themselves financially with his contract, why wouldn't they try to protect their future by bringing in a guy they though could step in and compete to WIN if Manning really does get hurt, or if he decides to hang them up after a season or two here? Make no mistake, if the "master plan" comes to fruition and Manning really does lead us to a Superbowl win this year, dude is history. He wants to ride off into the sunset on top like Elway did... why do you think he's even here?

Why would we wait to bring in a QB? Some of the guys likely to fall into the second round would easily be first rounders if Luck and RGIII weren't coming out this year. Why not take a shot on an Osweiler or Weeden, or try to trade for Mallett? I'd rather have that happen now than after Manning retires/gets injured.

If all goes as planned, we will suffer from the same "problem" the Colts have as long as they've had Manning - they've never really been bad enough to have a shot at top QB talent in the draft because they are a winning team drafting late every year. My assumption is that is what will happen here. How do we ever get a shot at a Barkely or top prospect if we're winning our division and in the playoffs?

Sometimes you gotta do what you've gotta do. If Manning still had 5-10 years left, I can see delaying the inevitable, but he really doesn't. There's no way he plays more than 3 years in Denver no matter how many years his contract is for. Unless your name is Favre or your postion is Kicker, nobody plays into their 40s anymore. We must address the backup QB position with more than just a 4th tier journeyman and we must do it now. Manning just isn't a long term solution at this point and unless we're smart, we will leave us high and dry when he retires.

Simple Jaded
03-20-2012, 08:43 PM

Brock Osweiler over someone like Doug Martin? Have you not paid attention to Bronco football since they traded Clinton Poorti$? What happens 5 years from now should be the least of Denver's worries. If Denver drafts Weeden or Osweiler 2nd or 3rd round l'm fine with it, but l'm not so sure that was Elway's sales pitch to Peyton Manning.......

pipes
03-20-2012, 08:46 PM
I see Hoyer a lot in NE. He is decent. I would love Mallet from them.

I would not mind a draft choice. Will Cousins be around when we draft say in the late 2nd round?
Med...

Just when my Pizza Hut that I ate a couple of hours ago was settling in my stomach, you go and pull a post like that out..

Cousins - a Bronco...just got a little reflux action and puked in my mouth.

HammeredOut
03-20-2012, 08:47 PM
or try to trade for Mallett?

WHy are fans lobbying for Ryan Mallett now. I said that we should draft him before the draft last year. He was one of my top 5 QBs in the draft. Finally, people jump on the wagon.

HORSEPOWER 56
03-20-2012, 08:52 PM
Brock Osweiler over someone like Doug Martin? Have you not paid attention to Bronco football since they traded Clinton Poorti$? What happens 5 years from now should be the least of Denver's worries. If Denver drafts Weeden or Osweiler 2nd or 3rd round l'm fine with it, but l'm not so sure that was Elway's sales pitch to Peyton Manning.......

That's the issue... you actually think that just because we signed Manning to a 5 year deal that he'll be here for 5 years. Manning is great, but he's not invincible and he's not stupid. Neither are the Broncos brass and that's why we have an escape clause built into Manning's contract every year. In case you didn't hear, the Broncos basically signed Manning to 5, one-year contracts that run consecutively with physicals required before each offseason before Peyton gets paid.

We're protecting our future financially, why shouldn't we do it personnel wise?

HORSEPOWER 56
03-20-2012, 08:54 PM
WHy are fans lobbying for Ryan Mallett now. I said that we should draft him before the draft last year. He was one of my top 5 QBs in the draft. Finally, people jump on the wagon.

I said the same thing, not that we should've drafted him but he was probably the best pure passer in that class. Right now, he's the 3rd stringer in NE and he might be someone they are willing to trade for the right price.

pipes
03-20-2012, 09:05 PM
They're obviously going to HAVE to sign/trade/draft 1 or 2 more quarterbacks...I think that is 100%.

Going through the season with a 36 year old QB that didn't play a snap last year and an undrafted QB (Weber), is just not smart.

Dapper Dan
03-20-2012, 10:01 PM

I've always liked Mallett since he was at Arkansas. I still think he could be good with the right people around him and as long as he doesn't do cocaine.

weazel
03-20-2012, 10:07 PM
I've always liked Mallett since he was at Arkansas. I still think he could be good with the right people around him and as long as he doesn't do cocaine.

why, Michael Irvin did plenty of coke and he was pretty damn good

chazoe60
03-20-2012, 10:27 PM

That's true, but think about Cris Carter got better once he got off the powder.

RebelRocker
03-21-2012, 12:39 AM

If Mallet does coke, he'll be more hyper and be able to move out of the pocket.

nothin' wrong with a little booger sugar:der:

aberdien
03-21-2012, 12:45 AM
We should propose a trade: Manning to the Colts for the first round pick so we can take Andrew Luck

Elway and his mindgames...

TXBRONC
03-21-2012, 08:30 AM

From what I hear of skill set I like but 15 career starts reminds me Mark Sanchez.

SOCALORADO.
03-21-2012, 08:58 AM
From what I hear of skill set I like but 15 career starts reminds me Mark Sanchez.

Ive watched all of their games and Osweiller is nothing like Sanchex.
No one wants Osweiller to start. Hes the perfect candidate because hes raw, but extremely athletic with all kinds of intangibles that you look for in a starting calibur, NFL QB. Hes tall, hes really athletic, he has a cannon and hes smart.
Perfect guy to put behind Peyton, and let him mentor him to the top for the future of the franchise.
Sanchex was thrown in waay too fast, and with a very young OC. Not a good combo.