PDA

View Full Version : Our future QB calls it quits already

RunYouOver
04-07-2009, 10:38 AM
Jack Elway, son of Pro Football Hall of Fame quarterback John Elway, has decided to leave the Arizona State football team.

Elway, a redshirt freshman quarterback, will remain at Arizona State as a student, however.

"He's just tired of football and wants to do something else with his life," Sun Devils coach Dennis Erickson said Monday, according to the Arizona Republic. "He made a decision, and we all understand it. He would have played here eventually."

Elway, who was in a five-way battle for the starting quarterback job this fall, was considered to be behind senior Danny Sullivan and redshirt sophomore Samson Szakacsy on the depth chart, with sophomore Chasen Stangel and freshman Brock Osweiler also in the mix.

Elway, out of Cherry Creek (Colo.) High School, did not play in a scrimmage last weekend.

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=4049115

Oh well. :tsk:

OB
04-07-2009, 10:41 AM
Ehhh doesnt sound like he was all that great - but :whoknows:

Way to start the season yesterday huh RYO :mad:

NightTrainLayne
04-07-2009, 10:44 AM
Hmmmm.... .guess that "never-give-up" gene didn't make it through to Jack.

Flatinum
04-07-2009, 10:44 AM
Maybe reality has set in. Maybe he doesn't want the pressure.

Your last name can only carry you so far.

Nomad
04-07-2009, 10:45 AM
The pressure of living in his father's footsteps got the best of him, plus name alone won't get you the starting job. It takes alot of work.

With this said and I know off topic, but I wonder how Jordans son will do beginning his college career living in daddy's shadow!

RunYouOver
04-07-2009, 10:47 AM
Ehhh doesnt sound like he was all that great - but :whoknows:

Way to start the season yesterday huh RYO :mad:

No, not a good way at all.

That's what we needed though, now CC doesn't have to worry about 28-0, and the Yankees don't have to worry about 162-0. :beer:

claymore
04-07-2009, 10:48 AM
What a cry baby.

Medford Bronco
04-07-2009, 10:50 AM
The pressure of living in his father's footsteps got the best of him, plus name alone won't get you the starting job. It takes alot of work.

With this said and I know off topic, but I wonder how Jordans son will do beginning his college career living in daddy's shadow!

Agreed its a lot of pressure but here are some examples

However some will rise and be better than their fathers or at least
be as good.

Examples. Bobby and Brett Hull. Dad is better but son was great too.

Gordie and Mark Howe, same as above.

Archie, Peyton and Eli. I say Petyon is the best, others are close

Bobby and Barry Bonds. I know most hate Barry but before steroids, barry was better than his dad and was a great player before all the crap.

Ken Griffey Sr and Jr. No question Jr is a HOFer while Sr. was a nice consistent player in his career.

OB
04-07-2009, 10:51 AM
No, not a good way at all.

That's what we needed though, now CC doesn't have to worry about 28-0, and the Yankees don't have to worry about 162-0. :beer:

LOL - I guess you can look at it that way :lol:

CoachChaz
04-07-2009, 10:56 AM
Any time my sorry birds can whip the Yankees is a good day

OB
04-07-2009, 11:03 AM
Any time my sorry birds can whip the Yankees is a good day

:eviltongue:

Broncolingus
04-07-2009, 11:08 AM
Good for him...

Nomad
04-07-2009, 11:10 AM
Agreed its a lot of pressure but here are some examples

However some will rise and be better than their fathers or at least
be as good.

Examples. Bobby and Brett Hull. Dad is better but son was great too.

Gordie and Mark Howe, same as above.

Archie, Peyton and Eli. I say Petyon is the best, others are close

Bobby and Barry Bonds. I know most hate Barry but before steroids, barry was better than his dad and was a great player before all the crap.

Ken Griffey Sr and Jr. No question Jr is a HOFer while Sr. was a nice consistent player in his career.

Very true! I guess it's Nick Montana's turn next! I believe he's a senior in HS this year

TXBRONC
04-07-2009, 11:18 AM
Hmmmm.... .guess that "never-give-up" gene didn't make it through to Jack.

I don't see any shame in saying that he doesn't want to play football anymore.

NightTrainLayne
04-07-2009, 11:24 AM
I don't see any shame in saying that he doesn't want to play football anymore.

No, there's not.

Dirk
04-07-2009, 11:28 AM
Yeah, if he doesn't have it in him to play...why put that added pressure on yourself.

Maybe he saw how Brian Griese panned out and now Chris Simms and his potential to always be a backup.

He doesn't have to worry about making tons of money in the pros anyway. I'm sure John will take care of him.

getlynched47
04-07-2009, 11:36 AM
:laugh:

Tired of football :rolleyes:

honz
04-07-2009, 12:38 PM
:eviltongue:
Hey, at least CC and Tex looked great! :lol:

ChairmanBron
04-07-2009, 01:29 PM
He was 5th on the depth chart at this point and didn't play in the first spring scrimmage. I wonder if he saw there are better QBs out there then him and decided that it wasn't for him to continue on.

At least he still staying in school.

Requiem / The Dagda
04-07-2009, 02:11 PM
Hey Slim, I told you he wouldn't make it to the NFL. HAHA.

claymore
04-07-2009, 02:12 PM

Your boy hackney was cut today, so go ahead and Gloat you SOB.

slim
04-07-2009, 02:13 PM

You also told me he was 5'11"....blind squirrel and all that.

Seriously, I am a little disappointed. I was looking forward to watching him play. But if you don't have a passion for the game, you shouldn't play.

Superchop 7
04-07-2009, 03:18 PM
Smart move.....get a degree.

Requiem / The Dagda
04-07-2009, 03:23 PM
You also told me he was 5'11"....blind squirrel and all that.

Seriously, I am a little disappointed. I was looking forward to watching him play. But if you don't have a passion for the game, you shouldn't play.

Bottom line is I was right, Slim. Don't get all sappy about Jack.

DenBronx
04-07-2009, 04:18 PM
what a whiner...

bullis26
04-07-2009, 05:00 PM

i think if he woulda kept playing he would have made it on an nfl team..... maybe he goes undrafted, but at the very least i think pat bowlen would give him a small contract

JKcatch724
04-07-2009, 05:10 PM
bahaha

The ASU party scene looks like a more promising future for Elway Jr.

atwater27
04-07-2009, 07:30 PM
Poor guy. Very smart of him to move in another direction. If he is stuck in a 5 way battle for QB on that team and with his name recognition, he is al least smart enough to know it wasn't in the cards. I am sure Dad is proud of him regardless.

slim
04-07-2009, 08:22 PM
Bottom line is I was right, Slim. Don't get all sappy about Jack.

You were right. But you are still a homo.

omac
04-09-2009, 08:57 PM
http://www.usatoday.com/sports/college/football/pac10/2009-04-07-arizona-state-elway_N.htm

QB Jack Elway leaves Arizona State football team
By Jeff Metcalfe, The Arizona Republic

Redshirt freshman quarterback Jack Elway is leaving the Arizona State football program but remaining in school as a student.

"He's just tired of football and wants to do something else with his life," Arizona State coach Dennis Erickson said Monday. "He made a decision, and we all understand it. He would have played here eventually."

Elway, son of Hall of Fame quarterback John Elway, was the only scholarship quarterback in the 2008 recruiting class out of Cherry Creek (Colo.) High School. He redshirted last season and was among five quarterbacks competing for the starting job vacated by Rudy Carpenter.

Now the quarterback competition is down to four: senior Danny Sullivan, sophomores Samson Szakacsy and Chasen Stangel and true freshman Brock Osweiler.

Scottsdale Saguaro High School quarterback Cole Rarrick plans to walk-on at Arizona State in the fall.

The Sun Devils already are well into recruiting for the class of 2010. Quarterback prospects Peter Thomas of Valhalla High School in El Cajon, Calif., and Kevin Spain of Paradise Valley High were on campus last weekend for Junior Day and a scrimmage in which Elway did not participate.

getlynched47
04-09-2009, 09:00 PM
Old news man.

I was looking forward to seeing him in the Orange and Blue in 3 years :tsk:

Lonestar
04-09-2009, 09:09 PM
merged with old thread

Kapaibro
04-09-2009, 09:54 PM
This kid has probably had the weight of the entire state of Colorado on his back since he was born.

To want some time to be Jack Elway, college guy, as opposed to

"Jack Elway, son of John Elway, SB winning QB, future QB of the Denver Broncos, aSaviour of the Franchise, all hail all hail!"

is not unreasonable

getlynched47
04-09-2009, 10:16 PM
This kid has probably had the weight of the entire state of Colorado on his back since he was born.

To want some time to be Jack Elway, college guy, as opposed to

"Jack Elway, son of John Elway, SB winning QB, future QB of the Denver Broncos, aSaviour of the Franchise, all hail all hail!"

is not unreasonable

My friend that's from Arizona says that ASU students are going to chew Jack Elway alive for leaving football :lol:

Kapaibro
04-09-2009, 10:46 PM
Some kids can handle it, some can't.

My uncle is NZ's best Olympian (4 Olympic gold medals and a silver, plus 5 World Championship medals for kayaking), and my cousin decided to take up kayaking full time. He sees himself as uniquely lucky, as his dad has such a huge amount of experience, not just with training and racing, but also nutrition etc. He also has the support of his mother, who has been through all of it before. Stevie doesn't want to be the next Ian Ferguson, he just wants to be the best HE can be.

Some people take the pressure on and use it to improve, and some don't.

getlynched47
04-09-2009, 10:50 PM
Some kids can handle it, some can't.

My uncle is NZ's best Olympian (4 Olympic gold medals and a silver, plus 5 World Championship medals for kayaking), and my cousin decided to take up kayaking full time. He sees himself as uniquely lucky, as his dad has such a huge amount of experience, not just with training and racing, but also nutrition etc. He also has the support of his mother, who has been through all of it before. Stevie doesn't want to be the next Ian Ferguson, he just wants to be the best HE can be.

Some people take the pressure on and use it to improve, and some don't.

Jack Elway = http://digitaldaily.allthingsd.com/files/2009/01/wimp.jpg

No actually I commend Jack Elway for not feeling obligated to follow in his dad's shoes. Those are some big shoes to fill, possibly impossible to fill.

rcsodak
04-11-2009, 10:39 AM
What young Jack MEANT to say:

Dayyyum! I didn't think it was going to be so hard, dude.

I thought I was gonna walk on campus, get the starting job, go to a couple classes now and then, lift a few weights, and throw some balls on saturdays!
I didn't think I'd have to shuffle tough classes with having to learn the complete play book.
I didn't think I'd have to actually workout with the pleabs on the team......I'm JACK ELWAY!