PDA

View Full Version : Here's hoping Orton beats out Simms

GEM
04-07-2009, 09:43 AM
Chris Simms, the left hander. I'm hoping that Orton has no issue beating him out so that Ryan Clady is still covering the blind side.

claymore
04-07-2009, 09:46 AM
Chris Simms, the left hander. I'm hoping that Orton has no issue beating him out so that Ryan Clady is still covering the blind side.

If Simms beats out orton...... We may need to resign Hackney.

Dirk
04-07-2009, 09:55 AM
I don't see Simms beating out Orton. Simms is a career backup IMO. :coffee:

LRtagger
04-07-2009, 09:56 AM
If Simms beats him out it will be because his dad made some calls to McDaniels.

NightTrainLayne
04-07-2009, 10:00 AM
I hate Simms due to his UT connection, but I think he could be a really good back-up QB ala Gary Kubiak. He's smart, and for the most part makes good decisions. Just doesn't have the physical talent to be a season-long starter in the NFL imo.

bcbronc
04-07-2009, 10:00 AM
GEM is racist against left handers.

:tsk:

DallasChief
04-07-2009, 10:02 AM
I hate Simms due to his UT connection, but I think he could be a really good back-up QB ala Gary Kubiak. He's smart, and for the most part makes good decisions. Just doesn't have the physical talent to be a season-long starter in the NFL imo.

As a bandwagon Sooner fan, you should love Simms. The Longhorns would have been so much better if Mack hadn't handed him the job when Applewhite was clearly better.

GEM
04-07-2009, 10:03 AM

I'm racist against my oldest daughter then. :shocked: :lol: Don't tell her that...

NightTrainLayne
04-07-2009, 10:06 AM
As a bandwagon Sooner fan, you should love Simms. The Longhorns would have been so much better if Mack hadn't handed him the job when Applewhite was clearly better.

See if I ever do you a favor again.

I've hated UT since I can remember. They are worthy of that whether or not I'm a bandwagon Sooner's fan.

But you're right :salute:. When he's the starter on the opposing team you've got to love it.

Thnikkaman
04-07-2009, 10:08 AM
I'm racist against my oldest daughter then. :shocked: :lol: Don't tell her that...

How do you feel about ambidextrous people?

DallasChief
See if I ever do you a favor again.

I've hated UT since I can remember. They are worthy of that whether or not I'm a bandwagon Sooner's fan.

But you're right :salute:. When he's the starter on the opposing team you've got to love it.
:D

Isn't your wife a Texan? Tell me she didn't convert to a Soonerite.

CoachChaz
Regardless of the PC rhetoric coming out of camp, does anyone truly believe Simms will beat out Orton? Seriously?

GEM
04-07-2009, 10:10 AM
Regardless of the PC rhetoric coming out of camp, does anyone truly believe Simms will beat out Orton? Seriously?

I don't particularly think so, but I really hope it wouldn't even be a consideration because of what that would do for Clady.

GEM
04-07-2009, 10:11 AM

Using both hands is a damn good thing. ;)

G_Money
04-07-2009, 10:15 AM
The Cardinals kept trying to give the QB role to Leinart, and he kept deferring to Warner by having terrible camps. *shrugs* If Orton has the world's worst camp and preseason, and Simms has picked up the offense and seems able to move the ball efficiently...

They're not invested in Orton. If Cutler was struggling to pick up the O and Simms already had it, well, you'd say, "Good, in case Jay gets hurt the backup seems to understand what's going on." But you'd never declare him the starter.

But Orton? Yeah, a rough camp from Orton can bump a theoretically-competent Simms up the food chain.

That would be a bad scenario IMO, but McDaniels needs somebody to run his offense efficiently THIS year, not in some future year.

~G

Nomad
04-07-2009, 10:18 AM
The QB competition puts all the pressure on Orton and, JMO, it showed in the interview a little. Simms came here as a backup to begin with so what's he got to lose. But, I don't think Orton loses the starting role.

CoachChaz
04-07-2009, 10:19 AM
There are always unique situations, but I'm going to go with the safe bet and expect #18 to start the season under center.

TXBRONC
04-07-2009, 10:19 AM

Even if Clady isn't protecting the blind side because Simms is the starter it wont make him any less effective or important to our offense.

DallasChief
04-07-2009, 10:20 AM
There are always unique situations, but I'm going to go with the safe bet and expect #18 to start the season under center.

I thought I read that #18 was retired?

G_Money
04-07-2009, 10:21 AM

It's definitely his job to lose, whatever McDaniels says about "competition." But he had trouble with Grossman in Chicago, so I can't say he's a lock.

~G

CoachChaz
04-07-2009, 10:21 AM

They have him listed as #18 on the roster

CoachChaz
04-07-2009, 10:22 AM
It's definitely his job to lose, whatever McDaniels says about "competition." But he had trouble with Grossman in Chicago, so I can't say he's a lock.

~G

Grossman was the more experienced at the time. I think there were circumstances that surrounded that at the time. But...anything is possible.

DallasChief
04-07-2009, 10:22 AM

Retired numbers
John Elway – #7
Frank Tripucka – #18
Floyd Little – #44

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Denver_Broncos#Retired_numbers

BroncoWave
04-07-2009, 10:24 AM

I heard they gave him #8.

TXBRONC
04-07-2009, 10:24 AM

The official website has him listed as number 8. DC is right number 18 was retired a long time ago.

TXBRONC
04-07-2009, 10:25 AM
I heard they gave him #8.

That's what the offical website has him listed as.

drewloc
04-07-2009, 10:36 AM

There is nothing wrong with someone who has good command of their left. :salute:

shank
04-07-2009, 10:36 AM

one drop rule

CoachChaz
04-07-2009, 10:48 AM
The official website has him listed as number 8. DC is right number 18 was retired a long time ago.

I must have read it wrong...my bad.

tubby
04-07-2009, 11:05 AM

Correct. You are a Broncos Freak!

DallasChief
04-07-2009, 11:06 AM
Correct. You are a Broncos Freak!

No, I just troll all of Topscribe's posts. :D

tubby
04-07-2009, 11:17 AM
#18 is special to KO, he should call Tripucka and ask for permission to wear it. Unless Tripucka is dead.

NightTrainLayne
04-07-2009, 11:17 AM
#18 is special to KO, he should call Tripucka and ask for permission to wear it. Unless Tripucka is dead.

TXBRONC
04-07-2009, 11:19 AM
I must have read it wrong...my bad.

It could happen to anyone, it no big deal. :salute:

Dirk
04-07-2009, 11:23 AM
Using both hands is a damn good thing. ;)

Took me a minute to go back to a "football" frame of mind.

Thanks for making my mind wander a bit about you Gem. ;)

tubby
04-07-2009, 11:26 AM

What? I am dead serious.

18 means something to KO. Do some research Bad Neighbor.

Rex
04-07-2009, 11:30 AM

Do a google search you elitist *****!

Dirk
04-07-2009, 11:33 AM
So I am not being mean or nothing. But does the below warrant retiring his number?

Good info though on being the first QB to throw a TD in the AFL. I had no idea.

The American Football League was founded in 1960, and Tripucka's old coach at Saskatchewan, Frank Filchock, was hired as the first coach of the new league's Denver Broncos. He brought Tripucka with him as an assistant coach. However the Broncos also had quarterback problems, and in preseason Filchock sent Tripucka in as a player. He became their first starting quarterback in the regular season and played with the team for four seasons. He was the first U.S. pro quarterback to throw for 3,000 yards in a season. He also threw the first touchdown pass in the history of the AFL. In 1962 he was named to the AFL All Star team.

Tripucka retired in 1963 after 15 profesional seasons. The Broncos subsequently retired his uniform #18.

getlynched47
04-07-2009, 11:34 AM
I'll be so pissed if Simms beats out Orton :tsk:

If that turns out to be the case, we probably would've been better off keeping our 5th round pick and the Bears keep Orton :lol:

Broncolingus
04-07-2009, 11:39 AM
Simms will not 'beat out' Orton...

Unless injury, illness, Bus Cook...you know, the normal.

claymore
04-07-2009, 11:41 AM
So I am not being mean or nothing. But does the below warrant retiring his number?

Good info though on being the first QB to throw a TD in the AFL. I had no idea.

The American Football League was founded in 1960, and Tripucka's old coach at Saskatchewan, Frank Filchock, was hired as the first coach of the new league's Denver Broncos. He brought Tripucka with him as an assistant coach. However the Broncos also had quarterback problems, and in preseason Filchock sent Tripucka in as a player. He became their first starting quarterback in the regular season and played with the team for four seasons. He was the first U.S. pro quarterback to throw for 3,000 yards in a season. He also threw the first touchdown pass in the history of the AFL. In 1962 he was named to the AFL All Star team.

Tripucka retired in 1963 after 15 profesional seasons. The Broncos subsequently retired his uniform #18.

If He was a raider or steeler he would be in the HOF.

Broncolingus
04-07-2009, 11:42 AM

True That!

Buff
04-07-2009, 11:43 AM
Just after hearing 1 press conference from both guys, I think it's pretty clear who the natural leader is... Orton sat down and was all business--asked who was going to ask a question first... Simms sat down and smiled at everyone goofily until a reporter took the lead...

Not much to read into, but having heard about both of their reputations... I can begin to see where Simms may come across as being a little soft.

Dirk
04-07-2009, 11:48 AM

Sad but utterly true. So much "non" love for the boys in Orange and Blue. :tsk:

TXBRONC
04-07-2009, 12:10 PM
Just after hearing 1 press conference from both guys, I think it's pretty clear who the natural leader is... Orton sat down and was all business--asked who was going to ask a question first... Simms sat down and smiled at everyone goofily until a reporter took the lead...

Not much to read into, but having heard about both of their reputations... I can begin to see where Simms may come across as being a little soft.

This wouldn't be because you're CU fan and Simms played at UT would it?

I think came across about the same, I wont call a guy soft who played most of a football game with ruptured spleen.

turftoad
04-07-2009, 12:12 PM
McD must like what he see's from Simms. He signed him to a pretty decent contract for a backup.

It's Ortons job to lose.

Let the best man win.

CoachChaz
04-07-2009, 12:13 PM
If college attended matters, I can name more starting QB's from Purdue than I can from Ut-erus

TXBRONC
04-07-2009, 12:15 PM
If college attended matters, I can name more starting QB's from Purdue than I can from Ut-erus

Maybe so but coming from an A&M fan what does that say? :D

DallasChief
04-07-2009, 12:18 PM
Is CU and UT a rivalry?

Dr Velcro
04-07-2009, 12:20 PM
It's like a snake and a mongoose.

LRtagger
04-07-2009, 12:22 PM

Well, going on the fact that the final piece of trading Cutler to da bears was the fact that McDaniels wanted Orton over any other QB available tells me he will go into camp as the #1 QB and Simms would have to beat him out to earn that spot. I think its a wash talent-wise and Orton will be the default starter.

Buff
04-07-2009, 12:33 PM
Is CU and UT a rivalry?

No, we'd have to win occasionally for it to be considered a rivalry... But I do have a healthy hatred for all things longhorn.

This wouldn't be because you're CU fan and Simms played at UT would it?

I think came across about the same, I wont call a guy soft who played most of a football game with ruptured spleen.

Well, maybe soft is the wrong word... I actually like Simms compared to most longhorns... But he was maligned even when he was at UT. I'm just saying that he doesn't have the reputation of being the meanest, most intimidating guy around by any means. I don't know that he's a guy who'll grab a teammate by the facemask and tell them to get their shit together. I feel like Orton is more of that guy.

CoachChaz
04-07-2009, 12:56 PM
Maybe so but coming from an A&M fan what does that say? :D

Prove an Aggie wrong and find me a UT starter. You pick...Drew brees or Vince Young.

CoachChaz
04-07-2009, 12:57 PM
Well, going on the fact that the final piece of trading Cutler to da bears was the fact that McDaniels wanted Orton over any other QB available tells me he will go into camp as the #1 QB and Simms would have to beat him out to earn that spot. I think its a wash talent-wise and Orton will be the default starter.

I think I'd disagree on the talent and ability comparison, but good point, nonetheless.

TXBRONC
04-07-2009, 01:12 PM
No, we'd have to win occasionally for it to be considered a rivalry... But I do have a healthy hatred for all things longhorn.

Well, maybe soft is the wrong word... I actually like Simms compared to most longhorns... But he was maligned even when he was at UT. I'm just saying that he doesn't have the reputation of being the meanest, most intimidating guy around by any means. I don't know that he's a guy who'll grab a teammate by the facemask and tell them to get their shit together. I feel like Orton is more of that guy.

I agree Simms hasn't ever been considered a tough minded quarterback, if he makes a competent back up quarterback I'll be perfectly fine with that.

TXBRONC
04-07-2009, 01:15 PM
Prove an Aggie wrong and find me a UT starter. You pick...Drew brees or Vince Young.

I'm just messin around a little. But anyway, certainly Drew Brees is a superior quarterback to Vince Young.

DenBronx
04-07-2009, 02:00 PM

that would really screw up our oline. their already learning a new blocking system and to switch sides wouldnt be good.

getlynched47
04-07-2009, 02:02 PM
that would really screw up our oline. their already learning a new blocking system and to switch sides wouldnt be good.

It was pretty stupid for McDaniels not to take that into account. I wonder if he even thought about having to move Clady to Right Tackle if Chris Simms gets the starting job. From what McDaniels has shown me, I doubt he thought of that :coffee:

honz
04-07-2009, 02:04 PM

We wouldn't necessarily have to switch up the OLine. Ryan Harris is pretty good himself and was projected to be our starting LT last year before we drafted Clady.

slim
04-07-2009, 02:11 PM

It's hard to be intimidating when you look like Opie.

getlynched47
04-07-2009, 02:13 PM
We wouldn't necessarily have to switch up the OLine. Ryan Harris is pretty good himself and was projected to be our starting LT last year before we drafted Clady.

Not necessarily. It was going to be a three way battle between Erik Pears, Chris Kuper, and Ryan Harris.

But they decided against moving Kuper from guard to tackle and drafted Ryan Clady.

Ryan Harris would get so owned by guys like Julius Peppers and Jared Allen :laugh:

GEM
04-07-2009, 02:26 PM
Retired numbers
John Elway – #7
Frank Tripucka – #18
Floyd Little – #44

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Denver_Broncos#Retired_numbers

Look at the Broncos knowledge on DC! :D

GEM
04-07-2009, 02:41 PM

I was talking to my dad about this and there is no way you could switch Clady around, it wouldn't be good for him to do that. Harris is pretty good...but he isn't Clady. :shrugs:

Broncolingus
04-07-2009, 02:43 PM
I was talking to my dad about this and there is no way you could switch Clady around, it wouldn't be good for him to do that. Harris is pretty good...but he isn't Clady. :shrugs:

You are correct, ma'am! Clady ABSOLUTELY stays where he is...

Dude is a 'franchise' Left Tackle...and an All-Pro as a rookie.

GEM
04-07-2009, 02:48 PM

Hence why I said I hope for other reasons that Orton beats out left handed Simms.

TXBRONC
04-07-2009, 04:05 PM
Hence why I said I hope for other reasons that Orton beats out left handed Simms.

Even if Simms wins the job I don't see them moving Clady from the left to the right. If Simms is clearly the better quarterback by the end of camp shouldn't that be who starts regardless of which hand they throw with?

GEM
04-07-2009, 04:28 PM
Even if Simms wins the job I don't see them moving Clady from the left to the right. If Simms is clearly the better quarterback by the end of camp shouldn't that be who starts regardless of which hand they throw with?

Definitely. It was just another thought process of why I'd rather see Orton win the job.

silkamilkamonico
04-07-2009, 07:36 PM
I think McDaniels will give Orton every chance to succeed, and if Orton can't hack it we don't want him starting anyways. Simms is a smart QB who is very accurate, but he has such a low release and led the league in batted balls at the LoS as the starter in TB.

TXBRONC
04-07-2009, 09:15 PM
Definitely. It was just another thought process of why I'd rather see Orton win the job.

Since Orton and Simms are what we have to work with right now, if Orton wins out I'm fine with it and if Simms wins out I'm fine with that as well.

LoyalSoldier
04-07-2009, 09:23 PM

Wait wouldn't that be anti-handetic?