PDA

View Full Version : Expectations in the Manning Era -

PAINTERDAVE
03-19-2012, 03:11 PM
So...

is is safe to say that
the division title and at minimum one playoff win in 2012
is the only acceptable bottom standard?

Heck.. even the hapless 2011 Broncos achieved that.

I mean... that is a pretty low bar right there...
considering the hype, money spent on PM, and the loss of a fan favorite QB to get here.

I submit that it IS the bare minimum we can expect.

Discuss.

Northman
03-19-2012, 03:13 PM
Barring injuries absolutely. In the next 3 years i would say we should probably make a SB appearance.

vandammage13
03-19-2012, 03:14 PM
Anything less than an AFCCG appearance would make this move not worth it IMO...

..And I think that's being generous...(I really want to say SB appearance, but that might be a bit unfair.)

You bring in a guy like Manning to win a SB, not win some games, so I'm kinda torn on this...I think Elway has painted himself into a corner on this one...His legacy as VP will hinge on Manning's crinky neck.

Nomad
03-19-2012, 03:15 PM
No less than playoff wins ever year he's here and at least one superbowl..

Northman
03-19-2012, 03:15 PM
Anything less than an AFCCG appearance would make this move not worth it IMO...

..And I think that's being generous...(I really want to say SB appearance, but that might be a bit unfair.)

Are you saying a AFCCG appearance THIS year or within the next 3?

vandammage13
03-19-2012, 03:16 PM
Are you saying a AFCCG appearance THIS year or within the next 3?

This year...I don't have any expectations of Manning holding up past this year to be honest....Hope, but not expectation.

BigDaddyBronco
03-19-2012, 03:18 PM
AFCCG in the next three years or this was a failure. So much has to fall in the right place to win a SB, but we should have enough to be one of the top 2 teams in the AFC in the next 3 years.

Northman
03-19-2012, 03:19 PM
AFCCG in the next three years or this was a failure. So much has to fall in the right place to win a SB, but we should have enough to be one of the top 2 teams in the AFC in the next 3 years.

Pretty much my thoughts as well.

Foochacho
03-19-2012, 03:23 PM
Playoffs for sure. We still have a few holes to fill to be true contenders. I don't expect a true run until next year. Hoping for a good draft and for our young guys to develop.
With our schedule this year I wouldn't expect playoffs with tebow. So just getting to the post season will make me happy.

slim
03-19-2012, 03:26 PM
1 super bowl win before he retires....anything less and it's a failure.

Nomad
03-19-2012, 03:27 PM
By the 3rd yr, I expect Elway to have all those pieces together. You have to set expectations at it's highest when you have a quarterback like Manning. Hopefully the BRONCOS don't ignore the defense because that will be what gets them over the edge.

NightTrainLayne
03-19-2012, 03:28 PM
I'm glad to see the posts here not expecting the moon right off the bat.

We do certainly have some challenges this season. But by next season, the pieces should be in place to make a run at it. The Super Bowl is an amazing feat. I won't consider it a failure if we fall short, but we should be geared up for some deep playoff runs. Past that, it takes luck, and timing sometimes. There are no guarantees (see also: Tom Brady. He won super bowls with mediocre offensive teams, and lost super bowls with award winning offenses surrounding him).

Manning_Up!
03-19-2012, 03:29 PM
Super Bowl 3peat.

rationalfan
03-19-2012, 03:31 PM
Getting away from the 8-8 curse.

SOCALORADO.
03-19-2012, 03:32 PM
3 Super Bowls with Manning.

Foochacho
03-19-2012, 03:33 PM

Double digit wins will feel good again. Winning the division without backing in.

Nomad
03-19-2012, 03:34 PM
Double digit wins will feel good again. Winning the division without backing in.

You said the b word:lol:

rjent
03-19-2012, 03:36 PM
I just hope Manning lives up to the hype. This is starting to smell like the "Dream Team" fiascoes that always follow the super player teams. Can anyone think of a organization that has "bought" a winning team ... I can't off hand. I like manning, but I worry about his limited scope right now. I mean we are only talking about a 3 year max stay probably, and then what. I am confused about the Tebow trade.

Time will tell.

Northman
03-19-2012, 03:38 PM
I just hope Manning lives up to the hype. This is starting to smell like the "Dream Team" fiascoes that always follow the super player teams. Can anyone think of a organization that has "bought" a winning team ... I can't off hand. I like manning, but I worry about his limited scope right now. I mean we are only talking about a 3 year max stay probably, and then what. I am confused about the Tebow trade.

Time will tell.

Draft a young more NFL ready QB or trade for one. Let him learn behind Manning while we try for a title.

CrazyHorse
Multiple Championships. I hope he ends his career the same as Elway with back to back Super Bowls.

BigDaddyBronco
1993 Chiefs

Nomad
03-19-2012, 03:40 PM
1993 Chiefs

blasphemy:lol:

ShooterJM
03-19-2012, 03:59 PM
In my mind, multple AFC championships in the next 3 years.

MileHighCrew
03-19-2012, 04:01 PM
This one's for PAT!!!

wayninja
03-19-2012, 04:05 PM
We need to at least be Division champions. A step back from 2011 any year with Manning would be a huge disappointment IMO.

I don't know why, but I am extremely anxious. I just sorta have a bad feeling in my stomach about this whole thing. I'm desperately hoping that's just pressure nervousness.

Northman
03-19-2012, 04:07 PM
We need to at least be Division champions. A step back from 2011 any year with Manning would be a huge disappointment IMO.

I don't know why, but I am extremely anxious. I just sorta have a bad feeling in my stomach about this whole thing. I'm desperately hoping that's just pressure nervousness.

I actually feel more confident.

wayninja
03-19-2012, 04:09 PM
I actually feel more confident.

I agree that it's logical to do so, but it felt so much easier to have low expectations than high ones. I dunno if I'm explaining it right, but with Broncos teams of the past few years, wins were pleasant surprises. Now they feel like must-wins.

SOCALORADO.
03-19-2012, 04:09 PM
This one's for PAT!!!

Gonna take some gettin used to peyton in that helmet and jersey.........

jhildebrand
03-19-2012, 04:10 PM
Division title, a home playoff game, and a home win are a minimum. If Tebow, as limited and terrible as we are told he is, did it, then Manning should too!

NightTerror218
03-19-2012, 04:10 PM
This year, playoff wins and AFC champ game. Next season super bowl

Northman
03-19-2012, 04:12 PM
I agree that it's logical to do so, but it felt so much easier to have low expectations than high ones. I dunno if I'm explaining it right, but with Broncos teams of the past few years, wins were pleasant surprises. Now they feel like must-wins.

Nah, i get what your saying. Which is why i was surprised that Denver was even on Manning's list considering all the youth on the team.

Cugel
03-19-2012, 04:16 PM
Division title, a home playoff game, and a home win are a minimum. If Tebow, as limited and terrible as we are told he is, did it, then Manning should too!

Tebow managed to back Denver into the playoffs with 8 wins off a last place schedule! And then he and the team managed a good win at home. But, against Brady they were shown up as hopelessly outclassed.

This is going to be different. Broncos are playing a 1st place schedule so it will be harder. Then the other teams aren't all going to self-destruct every year and just GIVE you the division title. So, Denver is going to have to EARN their playoff berth this year.

All in all I didn't think Tebow would win more than 8 games this season and that would not be enough. If Manning wins 11 and gets them into the playoffs that alone will justify the deal.

Magnificent Seven
03-19-2012, 04:18 PM
Manning got hurt unexpectedly in week 1 and Tebow is gone. We are f***ed big time!

wayninja
03-19-2012, 04:19 PM
Tebow managed to back Denver into the playoffs with 8 wins off a last place schedule! And then he and the team managed a good win at home. But, against Brady they were shown up as hopelessly outclassed.

This is going to be different. Broncos are playing a 1st place schedule so it will be harder. Then the other teams aren't all going to self-destruct every year and just GIVE you the division title. So, Denver is going to have to EARN their playoff berth this year.

All in all I didn't think Tebow would win more than 8 games this season and that would not be enough. If Manning wins 11 and gets them into the playoffs that alone will justify the deal.

Let's stockpile excuses now in case shit doesn't pan out.

What else have we got; We've got to expect that it will take some time to develop chemistry with the wide receivers, also McGahee and Champ aren't getting any younger!

Cugel
03-19-2012, 04:20 PM
Manning got hurt unexpectedly in week 1 and Tebow is gone. We are f***ed big time!

And if Manning signed with S.F. and Tebow got hurt in week 1, we'd be F***** big time! Any team that loses it's starting QB is "F***** big time."

So, what's your point? :coffee:

Cugel
03-19-2012, 04:21 PM

No excuses. Reality FM. Try tuning into it occasionally. :coffee:

wayninja
03-19-2012, 04:22 PM
No excuses. Reality FM. Try tuning into it occasionally. :coffee:

You are right, my bad. They will only be used as excuses in case of emergency.

wayninja
03-19-2012, 04:23 PM
And if Manning signed with S.F. and Tebow got hurt in week 1, we'd be F***** big time! Any team that loses it's starting QB is "F***** big time."

We could buy 100 Tebows for a Manning?

I think we lost our starting QB last season and weren't exactly ******, but I'm going to go out on a limb and say that it was all luck.

HammeredOut
03-19-2012, 04:28 PM
Well if 8-8 record put is in the playoffs last season with a guy who could only put up an average of 1.79 completions per quarter, and 124 yards in the air, also with more rushes then completions. Sure, why not make the playoffs with Payton Manning. I mean if our defense got us 6 of 8 wins by giving up 18 points or less, I could only imagine what we could do with Payton Manning. Most likely we could let Payton play the first half and put up 21 points to win the game, and then let Tim come in and finish off the game with the "TebowCat Offense"...

HammeredOut
03-19-2012, 04:30 PM

Last season, if our defense didn't give up 18 points or less in 6 of 8 Tebowcats games he started.. We would have been talking Andrew Luck.. Who would have figured we could win with that type of championship defense.

wayninja
03-19-2012, 04:33 PM
Well if 8-8 record put is in the playoffs last season with a guy who could only put up an average of 1.79 completions per quarter, and 124 yards in the air, also with more rushes then completions. Sure, why not make the playoffs with Payton Manning. I mean if our defense got us 6 of 8 wins by giving up 18 points or less, I could only imagine what we could do with Payton Manning. Most likely we could let Payton play the first half and put up 21 points to win the game, and then let Tim come in and finish off the game with the "TebowCat Offense"...

Why not save us some time and just put this in your signature.

Npba900
03-19-2012, 04:35 PM

If Manning can relieve pressure on the defense, make teams fear his arm, make DT and Decker move closer to becoming consistent WR's and Pro bowls, help improve the running attack, bring back respectability, make fans proud to go to sports bars to watch the Broncos,and win 11-13 games......the season was a success in 2012.

vandammage13
03-19-2012, 04:36 PM
Last season, if our defense didn't give up 18 points or less in 6 of 8 Tebowcats games he started.. We would have been talking Andrew Luck.. Who would have figured we could win with that type of championship defense.

I wonder why this "Championship Defense" didn't show up until we started leading the league in rushing and stopped turning the ball over....:coffee:

The fact that this defense went from one of the worst in the league to a top 10 D as soon as Tebow took over isn't a coincidence.

aberdien
03-19-2012, 04:42 PM
http://i.imgur.com/TgUqA.jpg

jhildebrand
03-19-2012, 04:45 PM
Tebow managed to back Denver into the playoffs

He did? :confused:

:lol:

Quit preparing your excuses early Cugel. The schedule Tebow inherited, the time he took over, and his lack of any real preparation were all factors against him.

Please tell me how you "back a team into the playoffs" when you took over a 1-4 team. Care to guess how many teams prior to the Broncos made the playoffs with a 1-4 start?

Npba900
03-19-2012, 04:47 PM

What else have we got; We've got to expect that it will take some time to develop chemistry with the wide receivers, also McGahee and Champ aren't getting any younger!

Then again the presence of Manning will make the chemistry operate effectively the first year. It could very well be that DT and Decker could struggle understanding how to run routes up to Manning's standards and expectations, but this should motivate both receivers to execute their routes as flawlessly as possible because Manning will reward them. Point is, Manning will push both Decker and DT to achieve perfection at their respective positions.

Hell, Manning will throw the ball where Decker or DT should have been and let them know they missed their routes. Then Manning will get both Decker and DT in the film room and show them where they are screwing up. Point is, Tebow would not have been able to do this. So expect this aspect of chemistry between Decker, DT and Manning to be vastly improved and DT nor Decker do not want to be bust or lose the trust of Manning. If Dallas Clark signs with Denver, expect Clark to be involved with getting Decker and DT up to speed and getting on the same page chemistry wise with Peyton.

wayninja
03-19-2012, 04:50 PM
Then again the present of Manning will make the chemistry operate effectively the first year. It could very well be that DT and Decker could struggle understanding how to run routes up to Manning's standards and expectations, but this should motivate both receivers to execute their routes as flawlessly as possible because Manning will reward them. Point is, Manning will push both Decker and DT to achieve perfection at their respective positions.

Hell, Manning will throw the ball where Decker or DT should have been and let them know they missed their routes. Then Manning will get both Decker and DT in the film room and show them where they are screwing up. Point is, Tebow would not have been able to do this. So expect this aspect of chemistry between Decker, DT and Manning to be vastly improved and DT nor Decker do not want to be bust or lose the trust of Manning. If Dallas Clark signs with Denver, expect Clark to be involved with getting Decker and DT up to speed and getting on the same page chemistry wise with Peyton.

If your argument here is that Manning is a better QB than Tebow, I quit the argument.

My point here is that Manning is 36 years old and we are probably going to give him a 100 million dollar contract and already people are trying to cushion the expectation. Sorry, but we are in too deep for that. Division champs at least, no excuses. I think I'm actually one of the more conservative in this estimate too.

I know I'll be flamed for this, but don't really care; If we aren't going to win the division anyway, I'd be much more entertained watching Tebow struggle leading the Broncos this season. It's only worth taking this risk, paying this money, and getting an influx of rival (not college) fans if we actually make it to the big games.

vandammage13
03-19-2012, 04:54 PM
If your argument here is that Manning is a better QB than Tebow, I quit the argument.

My point here is that Manning is 36 years old and we are probably going to give him a 100 million dollar contract and already people are trying to cushion the expectation. Sorry, but we are in too deep for that. Division champs at least, no excuses. I think I'm actually one of the more conservative in this estimate too.

I know I'll be flamed for this, but don't really care; If we aren't going to win the division anyway, I'd be much more entertained watching Tebow struggle leading the Broncos this season. It's only worth taking this risk, paying this money, and getting an influx of rival (not college) fans if we actually make it to the big games.

Make no mistake, Manning at 75% is eons better than Tebow...

Manning out after a 5th neck surgery, not so much.

D1g1tal j1m
03-19-2012, 04:54 PM
Super Bowl within 3 years or this is a bust on the part of the front office. The reason given, at least implied, is PM gives us the best chance to win the SB. There is no other way to sugar coat it. Elway has said that he is in it to win it all. This signing is his measuring stick and his legacy. Much like Tebow was McD's...

Npba900
03-19-2012, 05:00 PM
He did? :confused:

:lol:

Quit preparing your excuses early Cugel. The schedule Tebow inherited, the time he took over, and his lack of any real preparation were all factors against him.

Please tell me how you "back a team into the playoffs" when you took over a 1-4 team. Care to guess how many teams prior to the Broncos made the playoffs with a 1-4 start?

By winning games against teams that were sub par and under 500. By playing an unconventional offense against inferior teams and teams who had injuries to players at key positions.

Teams caught up with the read option and made Tebow pass to beat them in 4 of the 11 games the results were disastrous.

When you finish the season 1-4 and back your way into the playoff's you cause a lot of doubt in the football world.

Had Tebow been made to execute from a conventional QB offensive scheme for all 11 games the Broncos would have been drafting in the top 5-8 picks.

Magnificent Seven
03-19-2012, 05:00 PM

My point is... Tebow is tough and he can take some hard hits. Manning couldn't run and take the hits. QB depth chart sucks.

Denver loves mobile-quarterback and Manning is not a mobile quarterback. I wish they could keep Tebow. It would be nice to have Manning and Tebow on the same team. Just like Joe Montana and Steve Young in 80's.

Npba900
03-19-2012, 05:03 PM
Super Bowl within 3 years or this is a bust on the part of the front office. The reason given, at least implied, is PM gives us the best chance to win the SB. There is no other way to sugar coat it. Elway has said that he is in it to win it all. This signing is his measuring stick and his legacy. Much like Tebow was McD's...

Hell Bowlen could also say....if Manning does not have the Broncos into the SB in 3 years he is going to move the Broncos to LA!!!!!

ShooterJM
03-19-2012, 05:05 PM
It amazes me some people are ok with just making the playoffs after a $95M investment and having a championship caliber defense.

Krugan
03-19-2012, 05:13 PM
My expectations are for people to stop trying to kill the qb with public bitch fests.

That is all.

Krugan
03-19-2012, 05:21 PM
Make no mistake, Manning at 75% is eons better than Tebow...

Manning out after a 5th neck surgery, not so much.

For 95 mil, I expect a 100% player.

Dont care who is better, dont be running anything other than 100%....

claymore
03-19-2012, 05:21 PM
My expectations are for people to stop trying to kill the qb with public bitch fests.

That is all.

I agree. Id like for all of us to be on the same page. I think Manning will take us there.