PDA

View Full Version : Jay Cutler expressed love for Chicago Bears before 2006 draft

Denver Native (Carol)
04-06-2009, 10:21 PM
http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/chi-07-bears-cutler-chicagoapr07,0,7512803.story

Jay Cutler expressed love for Chicago Bears before 2006 draft
Vanderbilt aide: QB told me in '06 his heart was in Chicago

The exact date and time slipped John Sisk's memory, but the Vanderbilt strength and conditioning coach remembers the moment Jay Cutler expressed his affection for the Bears.

Sisk and Cutler were headed from the weight room to the field for a 2006 pre-combine workout. As the two engaged in casual conversation, Sisk asked Cutler what team he hoped would draft him.

"He said the Bears," Sisk said Monday. "He had been here for four years, and I had no idea about his love for Chicago. But we were hoping his name wouldn't come up with the Bears because they were picking late in the first round."

Weeks after that conversation, Sisk recalled listening to ex-Bear Bryan Cox on XM radio, urging the Bears to draft Cutler.

"And I told Jay to go buy a Bryan Cox throwback jersey and wear it around town," Sisk said with a laugh. "We were both fired up about it, although I was thinking to myself, 'What does Bryan Cox know about the draft?' "

Cutler was selected by the Broncos with the 11th overall pick and the Bears later traded out of the first round. But in Sisk's mind, everything came full circle.

The coach was inside the same weight room on Thursday when Cutler strolled in, wearing a smile from Nashville to Chicago. News of the trade quickly spread, as if Cutler's facial expression didn't already reveal his destination.

"To have Jay and three other Vanderbilt guys up there in Chicago … you can't describe the feeling," said Sisk, referring to Earl Bennett, Chris Williams and Hunter Hillenmeyer. "That doesn't happen too much to a school like Vanderbilt."

Familiar faces Bennett was in a Vanderbilt classroom Thursday, taking in a lecture for his deviant behavior class. How fitting, considering the trade for Cutler defied all odds.

"I stepped out of class because our agent, Bus Cook, called first," Bennett said. "Then I had to step out again when Jay called. He just told me to be ready."

A giddy Bennett reflected on some college moments they shared. Cutler's last pass at Vanderbilt was a touchdown to Bennett, allowing the Commodores to beat Tennessee for the first time in 23 years. But Bennett opted to reveal an off-the-field secret rather than reminisce about on-the-field success.

"Ask Jay when is the last time he went to the Wendy's on West End Street," Bennett said. "He would be there late all the time, like 2 in the morning."

Jokes aside, no one might benefit more from Cutler's arrival than Bennett, who, as a freshman, was Cutler's go-to receiver in 2005. Bennett left Vanderbilt as the Southeastern Conference's all-time leader in receptions (236). The third-round pick ended his first season with the Bears with no catches as he struggled to absorb the playbook.

"When I got here, I was asking him some questions about it because everyone's like, 'Your receivers are not that good,' " Cutler said. "I know what Earl's capable of. And I'll be able to get it out of him. I'm 100 percent sure of that. That's not going to be a problem.

"You're obviously going to see a different receiver this year because I think everyone's a bit down on him right now."

That's a sharp contrast to the electricity Cutler has injected into the city. Williams, possibly the starting right tackle for 2009, was convinced there was no chance for a reunion with his quarterback.

"Two of our college teammates—George Smith and Marlon White—were in Chicago last week, and I had just told them two days before the trade, 'Nah, we're not going to get Jay,' " Williams said. "I looked at the rumors as no big deal. But then coach Sisk called and confirmed that it was going to happen."

Sisk got chills just from watching Cutler's reaction.

"I was excited for him because it was his favorite team," Sisk said. "It was like seeing Jay on draft day all over again."

vxmcclure@tribune.com

weazel
04-06-2009, 10:23 PM
his heart was in Chicago and his head was up his ass

DenBronx
04-06-2009, 10:24 PM
his heart was in Chicago and his head was up his ass

and his arm was throwing td's you ungratefull weazel.

Broncolingus
04-06-2009, 10:24 PM
his heart was in Chicago and his head is (still) up his ass

...edited for accuracy.

honz
04-06-2009, 10:26 PM
At least Jay is happy...:tsk:

weazel
04-06-2009, 10:26 PM

nope, throwing for yards. Wasn't too great once he hit the 20 though.

MOtorboat
04-06-2009, 10:27 PM
Every player grew up rooting for someone. I won't criticize Cutler for that. Actually...I applaud him and his agent for orchestrating a trade to his favorite team.

weazel
04-06-2009, 10:27 PM

the guy was drafted and paid well to play here. he demanded a trade, who is ungratefull?

weazel
04-06-2009, 10:34 PM
...that's what I thought

getlynched47
04-06-2009, 10:39 PM
Little bitch got his wish.