PDA

View Full Version : Broncos waive qb darrell hackney

Denver Native (Carol)
04-06-2009, 09:23 PM
So, would this indicate that we will be drafting a QB??????

http://www.denverbroncos.com/page.php?id=338&storyID=8937

ENGLEWOOD, Colo. — The Denver Broncos on Monday waived quarterback Darrell Hackney, it was announced.

Hackney spent the last two seasons with the Broncos, seeing time on both the club’s active roster and practice squad during that time. The third-year player joined Denver as a future-contract signee on Jan. 1, 2007.

MOtorboat
04-06-2009, 09:24 PM
Oh.

The humanity.

bullis26
04-06-2009, 09:25 PM
i can't believe this

i am honestly just as upset as the whole cutler trade

ikillz0mbies
04-06-2009, 09:27 PM
Uh oh....I'm putting Cicero on suicide watch.

bullis26
04-06-2009, 09:28 PM

i've already made a call about that

getlynched47
04-06-2009, 09:30 PM
I can't believe this!

If the mighty McDaniels can mold any crap Quarterback into a star...why didn't he do it with Hackney?

:lol:

Shazam!
04-06-2009, 09:31 PM
Do you ever have anything good to say?

Anyway, this was a no-brainer.

I called this and many others did here too many times. Denver will definitely Draft a QB in the later rounds.

bullis26
04-06-2009, 09:32 PM
I can't believe this!

If the mighty McDaniels can mold any crap Quarterback into a star...why didn't he do it with Hackney?

He thought Hackney was ready to move onto bigger and better things :(

MOtorboat
04-06-2009, 09:32 PM
I can't believe this!

:rolleyes:

Hobe
04-06-2009, 09:33 PM

Why? You want watch him bump himself off? :tsk:

This makes me worried that they're going to blown one of the first row picks on a QB. I just don't see enough talent for a first row pick.

Rick
Probaly for the same reason that despite the Broncs success over the last decade with runningbacks Shanny did not bring in every kind of running back.

Just as it took certain kinds of running backs to succeed in shannys running game perhaps McD wants certain types of QBs in his as well, and Hackney wasn't one of them the way Simms and Orton apparently are.

LoyalSoldier
Oh man not Hackney! I mean he was really about to become a probowl QB. Now who ever signs him is going to win five superbowls in a row!

bullis26
04-06-2009, 09:36 PM
Oh man not Hackney! I mean he was really about to become a probowl QB. Now who ever signs him is going to win five superbowls in a row!

Actually hackney will win 5 total, i only see him winning three in a row, then one four years later with a year in between his next one

Magnificent Seven
04-06-2009, 09:36 PM
Possibly to have another trade on NFL Draft Weekend. Trade someone for Stafford or Sanchez.

ikillz0mbies
04-06-2009, 09:39 PM
Why? You want watch him bump himself off? :tsk:

This makes me worried that they're going to blown one of the first row picks on a QB. I just don't see enough talent for a first row pick.

I really hope they don't. All this Mark Sanchez talk is making me sick. I've seen him play at USC...had one good game, that's all.

The Broncos have bigger needs to address such as defense. The Broncos traded away Jay Cutler and now have 2 1st round picks this year. They have an opportunity to fill big holes on the defensive side of the ball. They should keep those picks to draft a DL and a LB.

If the Broncos trade up for Mark Sanchez, I will let getlynched47 stab me in the chest with a knife that has Jay Cutler's picture on it.

slim
I can't believe this!

I'm surprised you don't have Hackney on your list of franchise QBs

bullis26
Possibly to have another trade on NFL Draft Weekend. Trade someone for Stafford or Sanchez.

or just resign hackney.... i think ciecro would agree, that would be our best option

BroncoWave
04-06-2009, 09:40 PM

God I hope not. Wait and see how Orton does and if he sucks get Bradford or McCoy next year.

bullis26
04-06-2009, 09:41 PM
God I hope not. Wait and see how Orton does and if he sucks get Bradford or McCoy next year.

or even Tebow in the later rounds(i see tebow as a 4th Round pick right now)

ikillz0mbies
I can't believe this!

Because Orton and Simms are much better....

And actually, the season hasn't even started yet, so no one has seen what McDaniels has done. Maybe he could have...who knows. Cutler got traded and Hackney got waived. Big deal. It happened so move on.

So what's next on the Broncos agenda? Trade Scheffler for a 3rd? Make it happen FO.

Shazam!
Denver won't take a QB until after the second round.

ikillz0mbies
04-06-2009, 09:42 PM
Denver won't take a QB until after the second round.

I hope you are right.

BTW do you have a mock draft concocted?

honz
04-06-2009, 09:42 PM
Cutting your third string QB doesn't mean anything. You can get a 3rd stringer like Hackney as an UFA.

Magnificent Seven
04-06-2009, 09:43 PM
or even Tebow in the later rounds(i see tebow as a 4th Round pick right now)

I would be happy if they got Tim Tebow for 2010.

bullis26
04-06-2009, 09:47 PM
Cutting your third string QB doesn't mean anything. You can get a 3rd stringer like Hackney as an UFA.

You will never find a player like hackney in FA..... you take that back

Shazam!
04-06-2009, 09:47 PM
I hope you are right.

BTW do you have a mock draft concocted?

No not yet. I just see this because Denver got a QB in return and have bigger needs than a QB. If they didn't get a QB in return for Chicken Cutlet they could've traded up for Stafford or pursued another via trade. If anyone knows that you don't have to use a high pick on a QB it's McD with Brady and Cassel.

weazel
04-06-2009, 10:00 PM
So, would this indicate that we will be drafting a QB??????

http://www.denverbroncos.com/page.php?id=338&storyID=8937

ENGLEWOOD, Colo. — The Denver Broncos on Monday waived quarterback Darrell Hackney, it was announced.

Hackney spent the last two seasons with the Broncos, seeing time on both the club’s active roster and practice squad during that time. The third-year player joined Denver as a future-contract signee on Jan. 1, 2007.

it defeinitely indicates that Hackney was useless and proves that Shanahan had no viable answer if Cutler would have been injured

Superchop 7
04-06-2009, 10:02 PM
Well, at least he got rid of a QB without lying through his teeth.

bullis26
04-06-2009, 10:04 PM
I'm all out of love
im so lost without hackney
I know hackney was right
i just need darrell right now

Broncolingus
04-06-2009, 10:16 PM

Thank you...

Hack(ney's) release means what?

3/4 this board didn't even know who the **** he was...

weazel
04-06-2009, 10:18 PM
bief will be happy... he can wear his white sheet and dance around with a pitch fork

Rick
04-06-2009, 10:39 PM
He has just been signed by the Bears.

http://blogs.nfl.com/2009/04/05/hackney-a-bargain-for-bears/ (http://blogs.nfl.com/2009/04/05/orton-a-bargain-for-broncos/)

Never Trust a Snake
04-06-2009, 11:18 PM
I was pulling for Hackney to win the job. Unfortunately for him, McDaniels likes HNs.

D1g1tal j1m
04-06-2009, 11:30 PM
I have no feelings either way on the release of Hacky. I guess it isn't a real big deal to get rid of your 3rd stinger.

GEM
04-06-2009, 11:57 PM
I would be happy if they got Tim Tebow for 2010.

I would puke if we got Tebow. Everything I've read says that he's a sure fire shot at being a bust. High output college guy with a terrible NFL career ahead of him.

:shrugs:

GEM
04-06-2009, 11:58 PM
He has just been signed by the Bears.

http://blogs.nfl.com/2009/04/05/hackney-a-bargain-for-bears/ (http://blogs.nfl.com/2009/04/05/orton-a-bargain-for-broncos/)

:confused: Orton a bargain for the Broncos....

Oh, you made a funny. :lol:

weazel
04-07-2009, 12:39 AM
I have no feelings either way on the release of Hacky. I guess it isn't a real big deal to get rid of your 3rd stinger.

He would make a great ...TE

Dirk
04-07-2009, 05:59 AM
Thank you...

Hack(ney's) release means what?

3/4 this board didn't even know who the **** he was...

Ha!

But seriously....who is he? :confused:

Dirk
04-07-2009, 06:00 AM
bief will be happy... he can wear his white sheet and dance around with a pitch fork

Laundry day? :laugh:

claymore
04-07-2009, 06:03 AM
I was really hoping Hackney was going to beat out Simms.

Elevation inc
04-07-2009, 06:12 AM
more proof we are just getting rid of shannys guys???? lol......

Northman
04-07-2009, 06:15 AM
Hackney was a hack so no loss there.

Denver Native (Carol)
04-07-2009, 10:18 AM
http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci_12086471

On the day the Broncos introduced their two new quarterbacks, they waived the last of their holdovers, Darrell Hackney.

The Broncos now have lost their three-man quarterback group from the last two seasons. Jay Cutler, the starter, was traded Thursday to the Chicago Bears in exchange for Kyle Orton and draft picks. Patrick Ramsey, the backup, became a free agent and signed Friday with the Tennessee Titans. And Hackney, the No. 3 QB who showed a strong arm during the 2008 preseason, was cut Monday.

That group has been replaced by the veterans Orton and Chris Simms, who met with the local media Monday. With Hackney gone, expect the Broncos to select a quarterback with one of their 10 picks in the upcoming draft. The Broncos have extra picks in the first, third and seventh rounds.

Scheffler on his own.

Tight end Tony Scheffler has returned to working out with his personal trainer Steve Hess, who is the Nuggets' strength and conditioning coach. For now, Broncos coach Josh McDaniels is not publicly making a big deal of Scheffler missing the team's offseason conditioning program.

Although Scheffler has stated he's not happy his team traded Cutler, the tight end is expected to return for the team's first mini-camp, April 17-19.

Scheffler and Cutler are good friends and share the same agent, Bus Cook.

He is called The Beast.

Simms, who has played for Tampa Bay and Tennessee, said the Broncos have the best set of receivers he's been around. He was especially impressed by Brandon Marshall, who is coming off back-to-back 100-catch seasons.

"I had never seen Brandon Marshall in person until I got here, and I didn't realize he was that big (6-feet-4, 230 pounds)," Simms said. "I could see why he's been so good. I've never seen a receiver who looks like that."

Mike Klis, The Denver Post

Northman
04-07-2009, 10:33 AM
Lol Simms.

That ought to make Brandon happy with those comments.

Dortoh
04-07-2009, 11:37 AM
Ok first off you dont wait a year for someone like Tebow. There is no real chance that we start the year with only Simms and Orton on the roster.

I would prefer they dig into some tape and pick up a project sometime after the 2nd round. That puts them a full year ahead on grooming a young qb compared to "waiting" for a Tebow.

Dirk
04-07-2009, 11:58 AM
http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci_12086471"I had never seen Brandon Marshall in person until I got here, and I didn't realize he was that big (6-feet-4, 230 pounds)," Simms said. "I could see why he's been so good. I've never seen a receiver who looks like that."

Mike Klis, The Denver Post

Short a few pounds but didn't Simms look around the locker room?
Michael Clayton isn't to far off at 6'4" 215 and Maurice Stovall is 6'5" 220.

Maybe he was too busy cleaning the bench with his pants to see them. :lol:

Sorry...didn't mean to dis on one of our QBs...it just struck me as funny.

Requiem / The Dagda
04-07-2009, 12:04 PM
I can't believe this.

CrazyHorse
04-07-2009, 12:04 PM
We're just making room for Cleo Lemon.

weazel
04-07-2009, 12:06 PM
They had to make room as Cutler's ego still occupies a slot on the roster

GEM
04-07-2009, 01:09 PM
I don't want to go QB on day 1. We have serviceable guys that can get us through. Pick either a Day 2 or put it off for next season, take Brandon with our 1st. Focus this years 1st's on what we've ignored for several seasons, which is Defense with the top 2. 2 top round Defensive guys if done right can really set this D up for success for years to come.

Elevation inc
04-07-2009, 01:43 PM
I don't want to go QB on day 1. We have serviceable guys that can get us through. Pick either a Day 2 or put it off for next season, take Brandon with our 1st. Focus this years 1st's on what we've ignored for several seasons, which is Defense with the top 2. 2 top round Defensive guys if done right can really set this D up for success for years to come.

exactly, defense defense defense.....

oh and maybe a RB like donald brown with pick 18;)

TXBRONC
04-07-2009, 01:49 PM
exactly, defense defense defense.....

oh and maybe a RB like donald brown with pick 18;)

But then it would be defense, offense, defense wouldn't it? :D

Dortoh
04-07-2009, 01:51 PM
While I'm against taking a RB high this year there is something to be said about a strong running game helping ones defense.

That said all Defense on day 1

honz
04-07-2009, 01:55 PM
Brandon? I assume you mean Bradford? Or am I just not understanding what you are saying?

getlynched47
04-07-2009, 01:59 PM

A perfect scenario would be taking Tyson Jackson and James Laurinaitis with our first round picks, and grabbing Ron Brace in the 2nd round. That's 3 defensive starters right there. But I don't see this happening because Ron Brace is rising up draft boards like crazy...he's a 1st round pick IMO.

I would use 3 or 4 of our first five draft picks on defense because we are desperate for talent back there. We need to grab a cornerback or a safety in the 3rd round IMO.

CoachChaz
04-07-2009, 02:16 PM
Brace is not worthy of a 1st round pick, but...he does figure to be a better 3-4 NT than Raji. With all the teams using a 3-4 now, his value has increased...not necessarily his skillset.

I prefer Maualuga and Sintim in the first and Gilbert in the 2nd.

claymore
04-07-2009, 02:19 PM
A perfect scenario would be taking Tyson Jackson and James Laurinaitis with our first round picks, and grabbing Ron Brace in the 2nd round. That's 3 defensive starters right there. But I don't see this happening because Ron Brace is rising up draft boards like crazy...he's a 1st round pick IMO.

I would use 3 or 4 of our first five draft picks on defense because we are desperate for talent back there. We need to grab a cornerback or a safety in the 3rd round IMO.

We are taking Moreno with the 12th pick. You heard it here.

slim
04-07-2009, 02:20 PM
We are taking Moreno with the 12th pick. You heard it here.

Boooooo.

We need defense. :welcome:

GEM
04-07-2009, 02:21 PM
Brandon? I assume you mean Bradford? Or am I just not understanding what you are saying?

Yea...Bradford...I keep mixing all these qb's names up. Thank you for the correction. ;)

GEM
04-07-2009, 02:23 PM

Laurinaitis is a beast, but gets lost...from what I've read. Would we be reaching on him at 18?

getlynched47
04-07-2009, 02:24 PM
Brace is not worthy of a 1st round pick, but...he does figure to be a better 3-4 NT than Raji. With all the teams using a 3-4 now, his value has increased...not necessarily his skillset.

I prefer Maualuga and Sintim in the first and Gilbert in the 2nd.

That sounds pretty good also.......but we still need a Nose Tackle :lol:

getlynched47
04-07-2009, 02:26 PM
Laurinaitis is a beast, but gets lost...from what I've read. Would we be reaching on him at 18?

He is a perfect fit as an inside Linebacker. But we could also take Maualuga at 12 and grab an Outerlinebacker or Tyson Jackson with 18. It all depends on what McDaniels wants to do.

CoachChaz
04-07-2009, 02:37 PM
That sounds pretty good also.......but we still need a Nose Tackle :lol:

Baker, Taylor, Pryor, etc.

None of the names are big time, but they could at least hold down the fort for now and create some competition for a new guy.

I'd also be willing to give our 2nd rounder and a 7th to Cleveland for Rogers.

bullis26
04-07-2009, 05:08 PM

I'd take my chances with jackson, i think he'll be there at 18, i'd take rey at 12 no chance he drops to 18

The chargers are the only team in between 12 and 18 that i can see that would take tyson jackson, rey mauluga could be taken by just about any team in between 12 and 18

Rey is a huge step up from laurenitis

getlynched47
04-07-2009, 05:47 PM
Baker, Taylor, Pryor, etc.

None of the names are big time, but they could at least hold down the fort for now and create some competition for a new guy.

I'd also be willing to give our 2nd rounder and a 7th to Cleveland for Rogers.

There's no way Rogers is going anywhere. If the Browns trade/release him then they will absorb a $9 million cap hit. That's massive:
http://www.rotoworld.com/Content/playerpages/player_main.aspx?sport=Nfl&id=1819

I dont think Ron Fields is the answer at Nose Tackle, but he's a very valuable rotation Defensive Tackle IMO.