PDA

View Full Version : When was the last time the Broncos had a definsve oriented team

Medford Bronco
10-19-2007, 03:38 PM
This is not a slight to any Denver team etc.

but when was the last time the Broncos had a Pittsburgh, Baltimore (when the won the Super Bowl)
or Jaguars (Jack Del Rio type of team) or the (Tampa team that won it all, heck even NE in 2003) type of team.

I love tough hard nosed football etc.

Defense wins Championships etc.

I say the 77 Team was the last time we were defensive like those teams.

I loved the mid 90s team but it was predicated on the great offense to set up our decent opportunistic defense. Please dont tell me that was a great defense, it was good and got the job done but the last real "great" defense was from 77.

I am ready to get thrown off the Tobin now :laugh:

Grover
10-19-2007, 03:55 PM
The 1991 defensive team was excellent towards the end of that season. We lost in the AFC Championship game to the Buffalo Bills by a score of 10-7 in January 1992. Elway threw a bonehead interception deep in our own territory that sealed the game for the Bills.

That was the best defensive team the Broncos have had since the Orange Crush days, and perhaps even with the team that went to the Super Bowl. They were awesome to watch.

LE 91 Warren Powers
NT 71 Greg Kragen
RE 90 Ron Holmes
LO 73 Simon Fletcher
LI 77 Karl Mecklenburg
RI 51 Mike Croel
RO 56 Michael Brooks
LC 34 Tyrone Braxton
RC 24 Wymon Henderson
FS 27 Steve Atwater
SS 49 Dennis Smith

Lonestar
10-20-2007, 11:08 PM
This is not a slight to any Denver team etc.

but when was the last time the Broncos had a Pittsburgh, Baltimore (when the won the Super Bowl)
or Jaguars (Jack Del Rio type of team) or the (Tampa team that won it all, heck even NE in 2003) type of team.

I love tough hard nosed football etc.

Defense wins Championships etc.

I say the 77 Team was the last time we were defensive like those teams.

I loved the mid 90s team but it was predicated on the great offense to set up our decent opportunistic defense. Please dont tell me that was a great defense, it was good and got the job done but the last real "great" defense was from 77.

I am ready to get thrown off the Tobin now :laugh:

Way to long ago
mikey loves his offense

Offense wins game

BUT

DEFENSE wins Championships

xX-Bronco-Xx
10-20-2007, 11:40 PM
It seems to me that with Mike we need a high powered offense to win games instead of a nasty defense.

Oh well.

TXBRONC
10-20-2007, 11:45 PM
Way to long ago
mikey loves his offense

Offense wins game

BUT

DEFENSE wins Championships

Our great defense in 1977 (no sarcasm intended) did win us a Championship did it?

sneakers
10-20-2007, 11:48 PM
The late 80s's. I think they were #1 in total defense the year they got beat by the 49ers.

sneakers
10-20-2007, 11:50 PM
The 1991 defensive team was excellent towards the end of that season. We lost in the AFC Championship game to the Buffalo Bills by a score of 10-7 in January 1992. Elway threw a bonehead interception deep in our own territory that sealed the game for the Bills.

I remember watching this game (I was 10 years old). The score was 0-0 at halftime. And Elway got hurt and I think Kubiak played all of the 4th quarter and scored the only touchdown.

TXBRONC
10-20-2007, 11:59 PM
I remember watching this game (I was 10 years old). The score was 0-0 at halftime. And Elway got hurt and I think Kubiak played all of the 4th quarter and scored the only touchdown.

Yep. If I remember correctly John was on the sidelines with a groin pull or hamstring injury.

sneakers
10-21-2007, 12:09 AM
Yep. If I remember correctly John was on the sidelines with a groin pull or hamstring injury.

Wikipedia says it was a deep thigh bruise.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NFL_playoffs%2C_1991-92

[edit] January 12, 1992

[edit] AFC: Buffalo Bills 10, Denver Broncos 7

1 2 3 4 Total
Broncos 0 0 0 7 7
Bills 0 0 7 3 10

at Rich Stadium, Orchard Park, New York

Game time: 12:30 p.m. EST
Game weather: 34 °F (Clear)
TV announcers (NBC): **** Enberg and Bill Walsh
Referee: Dale Hamer
Game Attendance: 80,272
Buffalo relied on missed field goals by Denver and some key plays from their defense to narrowly defeat the Broncos in a tough defensive struggle. Although the first half was scoreless, the Broncos advanced into Buffalo territory on all five of their possessions in the first half. However, Denver kicker David Treadwell missed 3 field goals, hitting the goal posts twice and driving the other attempt wide right.

Late in the third quarter, the Broncos faced second down and 10 at their own 19-yard line. Quarterback John Elway threw a shovel pass intended for running back Steve Sewell, but it was tipped by Bills defensive lineman Jeff Wright into the arms of linebacker Carlton Bailey, who returned the ball 11 yards for Buffalo's only touchdown of the game. Elway was then knocked out of the game after suffering a deep thigh bruise, and was replaced by backup Gary Kubiak. With 4:18 left in the game, Buffalo kicker Scott Norwood made a 44-yard field goal to increase the lead, 10-0. Kubiak, who was playing in his last NFL game before retiring, led the Broncos 85 yards in eight plays and scored a 3-yard touchdown run with 1:43 left. Denver then recovered the ensuing onside kick, but the Bills clinched the victory after defensive back Kirby Jackson forced and recovered a fumble from running back Steve Sewell.

Broncos receiver Vance Johnson finished the game with 8 receptions for 104 yards. Kubiak completed 11 of 12 passes for 136 yards and rushed for 22.

Scoring
BUF - Bailey 11 interception return (Norwood kick)
BUF - FG Norwood 44
DEN - Kubiak 3 run (Treadwell kick)

TXBRONC
10-21-2007, 12:22 AM
Wikipedia says it was a deep thigh bruise.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NFL_playoffs%2C_1991-92

[edit] January 12, 1992

[edit] AFC: Buffalo Bills 10, Denver Broncos 7

1 2 3 4 Total
Broncos 0 0 0 7 7
Bills 0 0 7 3 10

at Rich Stadium, Orchard Park, New York

Game time: 12:30 p.m. EST
Game weather: 34 °F (Clear)
TV announcers (NBC): **** Enberg and Bill Walsh
Referee: Dale Hamer
Game Attendance: 80,272
Buffalo relied on missed field goals by Denver and some key plays from their defense to narrowly defeat the Broncos in a tough defensive struggle. Although the first half was scoreless, the Broncos advanced into Buffalo territory on all five of their possessions in the first half. However, Denver kicker David Treadwell missed 3 field goals, hitting the goal posts twice and driving the other attempt wide right.

Late in the third quarter, the Broncos faced second down and 10 at their own 19-yard line. Quarterback John Elway threw a shovel pass intended for running back Steve Sewell, but it was tipped by Bills defensive lineman Jeff Wright into the arms of linebacker Carlton Bailey, who returned the ball 11 yards for Buffalo's only touchdown of the game. Elway was then knocked out of the game after suffering a deep thigh bruise, and was replaced by backup Gary Kubiak. With 4:18 left in the game, Buffalo kicker Scott Norwood made a 44-yard field goal to increase the lead, 10-0. Kubiak, who was playing in his last NFL game before retiring, led the Broncos 85 yards in eight plays and scored a 3-yard touchdown run with 1:43 left. Denver then recovered the ensuing onside kick, but the Bills clinched the victory after defensive back Kirby Jackson forced and recovered a fumble from running back Steve Sewell.

Broncos receiver Vance Johnson finished the game with 8 receptions for 104 yards. Kubiak completed 11 of 12 passes for 136 yards and rushed for 22.

Scoring
BUF - Bailey 11 interception return (Norwood kick)
BUF - FG Norwood 44
DEN - Kubiak 3 run (Treadwell kick)

Well at least I remembered it had something to do with his leg. :D

Anyway thanks for clearing that up Sneak. :beer:

Skinny
10-21-2007, 12:29 AM
If i remember correctly, the game Grover might be thinking of was the late Elway INT (He just threw it up) in a playoff game againt Oak. in 93 i think. I remember that one because Sharpe, Elways go-to guy that whole season, was on the sidelines having cramping issues.

Anywho . . . The 97' and 98 ' defenses were pretty good! :beer:

sneakers
10-21-2007, 12:37 AM
If i remember correctly, the game Grover might be thinking of was the late Elway INT (He just threw it up) in a playoff game againt Oak. in 93 i think. I remember that one because Sharpe, Elways go-to guy that whole season, was on the sidelines having cramping issues.

Anywho . . . The 97' and 98 ' defenses were pretty good! :beer:

In 93, or sometime around there, in the first home game of the season we were playing San Diego, and we were down by a few points, and elway made a dramatic drive at the end of the game, and rolled right, and was throwing the ball to a wide open shannon sharpe in the end zone, but the ball somehow slipped out of his hand while he was throwing it...it floated up in the air and was intercepted by Seau to seal the game for the Chargers...are you talking about that one?

Lonestar
10-21-2007, 12:22 PM
Our great defense in 1977 (no sarcasm intended) did win us a Championship did it?

Last time I noticed we were AFC Champions that year.

TXBRONC
10-21-2007, 12:27 PM
Last time I noticed we were AFC Champions that year.

Championships as in Super Bowls that what is usually meant when that phrase is used.

Lonestar
10-21-2007, 12:37 PM
Championships as in Super Bowls that what is usually meant when that phrase is used.

Perhaps you should read my comment again I made no reference to Super Bowl Champion JUst Champoins. If yi coose to beleive the only champoins that are WORTHWHILE are super bowl champions then you will be disappointed 99% of the time.

TXBRONC
10-21-2007, 03:15 PM
Perhaps you should read my comment again I made no reference to Super Bowl Champion JUst Champoins. If yi coose to beleive the only champoins that are WORTHWHILE are super bowl champions then you will be disappointed 99% of the time.

I really don't care if did or didn't Jr. The fact is the phrase is used in connection with winning the Super Bowl. The only reason for some use the excuse "I was talking Conference Championships as well" is so that they continue to bad mouth Shanahan.