PDA

View Full Version : Jay Cutler no answer to Chicago Bears' woes

Tned
04-06-2009, 02:52 PM
Baby formula included...

www.chicagotribune.com/sports/football/bears/chi-03-morrissey-jay-cutler-bears-chapr03,0,4048493.column

chicagotribune.com
Jay Cutler no answer to Chicago Bears' woes
Huddle up? Not with this confused quarterback
Rick Morrissey

In the wake of the news

April 3, 2009

If Jay Cutler doesn't raise red flags, Bears fans, you are color blind. From all appearances and indications, he has the maturity level of larva.

Two weeks ago, he demanded the Broncos trade him. On Wednesday, he said he had wanted to stay with the Broncos all along.

On Friday, I'm guessing he will say he's ecstatic about the Bears and deep-dish pizza.

This is exactly the kind of steely resolve you want in your huddle, isn't it?

Well, you're about to get it. The Bears on Thursday traded their first- and third-round picks this year, their first-round pick next year and Kyle Orton to the Broncos in exchange for Cutler, a 2009 fifth-round pick and a six-pack of baby formula.

Here's hoping Cutler gets his act together, but the past month hasn't been what anyone would call "good."

Mind-set is extremely important in the NFL, and no one seems to have any clue what Cutler's is. On Wednesday, he talked with FoxSports.com, and it was as if he said, A guy demands to be traded and people actually take him seriously!

"I was surprised they decided to trade me this soon," he said before the deal was struck. "I didn't want to get traded. This wasn't me. [The Broncos] had been going back and forth saying things, wanting me to be their quarterback and then they didn't.

"I really didn't want this. I love Denver. I really like my teammates. I didn't want it to get this far."

This has to be a land-speed record for revisionist history.

Let's try to recall the chain of events. Cutler was severely miffed when the Broncos' new coach included him in a proposed deal that would have brought then-New England quarterback Matt Cassel to Denver. Cutler pouted that the Broncos said bad things about him. Cutler insisted that he be traded.

More recently, he expressed surprise at the turn of events that put him on the trading block. He also said Denver never tried calling him over a 10-day span ending Tuesday, to which Broncos owner Pat Bowlen reportedly said: Would you care to see the telephone records?

And Cutler is the guy you want in your huddle, Bears fans?

If the Broncos wanted to punish him, they succeeded. They traded him to the Bears. He will get here and wonder where the Chicago versions of Brandon Marshall and Eddie Royal are. And then general manager Jerry Angelo will have to put an arm around him and inform him the Bears don't have any wide receivers.

John Elway in his prime would have a hard time succeeding with this group.

All we have heard the past few weeks is Cutler is better than Orton. And it's true he's more talented. But I'll say it until I'm navy blue in the face: The Bears need wide receivers, not a quarterback. It's why some of us were willing to put up with Terrell Owens. Putting up with Cutler doesn't sound fun or necessary.

That didn't stop the lust for him from reaching levels that would make Pamela Anderson blush. Few people in Chicago want to look beyond his gaudy stats. In the last three games of 2008, all losses, he threw two touchdown passes and four interceptions. The Broncos had a three-game division lead with three games left and didn't make the playoffs.

Cutler was upset new Broncos coach Josh McDaniels showed him no respect. The quarterback forgot two things. First, he has been a starter for only two years in the NFL. Second, everyone in the league is a commodity and subject to the whims of the people who sign the paychecks.

It's not personal. It's business.

When it comes to throwing yourself at the Next Big Thing, Chicago is no different than any other city. Fans couldn't wait for Rex Grossman to get a chance. Then they couldn't wait for Orton to get a chance. Remember all the gushing over Orton last season until he hurt his ankle? And now fans can't wait for somebody else. Until another somebody else walks by.

The Bears decided they had to get the quarterback position right. Translation: Angelo wasn't sold on Orton and didn't want to pay him. He's about to pay Cutler a lot of money to be the leader on offense.

And those wide receivers the Bears desperately need—where will they come from when there are no draft picks or money?

Cutler said he loved everything about Denver, including the fans and his teammates. Yet he wanted out at the first hint of trouble. Why should anyone believe it will be different in Chicago?

rmorrissey@tribune.com

Copyright © 2009, Chicago Tribune

Den21vsBal19
04-06-2009, 03:04 PM
So does this mean you're mothballing BearsForums? :confused:

:lol:

Didn't Cutler's favourite WR from Vandy end up in Chicago? They've got to be really hoping that partnership can work again

honz
04-06-2009, 03:04 PM
'Other NFL Teams'. Pronto. ;)

Shazam!
04-06-2009, 03:17 PM
I believe I posted this in another thread or started one... No matter.

I remember 'maturity of larva' I like that.

Lonestar
04-06-2009, 03:21 PM
Yes it was in another thread but we feel the truth it speaks of deserves it's own thread..

jrelway
04-06-2009, 03:27 PM
obviously this reporter has never seen jay play...i hope cutler does muff up bad there though, so we get an early early pick next year.

G_Money
04-06-2009, 03:42 PM
*laughs* So we're stickying this? Really? It's that good an article?

Anybody plan to sticky the articles lambasting Orton and worshipping at the feet of Jay for some even-handedness, or is that not producing the correct amount of bitterness toward our former QB?

~G

BeefStew25
04-06-2009, 03:44 PM

Anybody plan to sticky the articles lambasting Orton and worshipping at the feet of Jay for some even-handedness, or is that not producing the correct amount of bitterness toward our former QB?

~G

Or blowing off Orton's love of booze, but calling Cutler an alcoholic?

BroncoNut
04-06-2009, 03:45 PM

~G

you make a good point there G. As always

BroncoNut
04-06-2009, 03:45 PM
Or blowing off Orton's love of booze, but calling Cutler an alcoholic?

uh.. yeah, I think that's along the lines of what G was getting at. well done

Broncolingus
04-06-2009, 05:37 PM
Pot-stirring article for sure, but I don't have a problem with some skepticism from the Chi-Town sports writers...

OrangeHoof
04-06-2009, 05:39 PM
Mike Shanahan must have been a master psychologist because he was able to get three years of production out of Jay Cutler without any of the "crybaby" stuff surfacing to the point of disrupting the team. Yet, with McDiapers, it took less than three months.

I wonder how the coach at Vanderbilt got him to play at all.

MasterShake
04-06-2009, 05:42 PM
So are Denver QB's officially out of Elways shadow and now in Cutlers? I thought the Plummer/Cutler stuff was bad. :lol:

Thnikkaman
04-06-2009, 05:44 PM
Mike Shanahan must have been a master psychologist because he was able to get three years of production out of Jay Cutler without any of the "crybaby" stuff surfacing to the point of disrupting the team. Yet, with McDiapers, it took less than three months.

41-6

Not to mention the difficulty of winning games when the Defense gives up more than 21 points. Do you know what great quarterbacks can do? Win games when their defense isn't playing well.

Tned
04-06-2009, 05:45 PM
So does this mean you're mothballing BearsForums? :confused:

Hell no. Good Friday, BroncosForums transitions to BearsForums (http://www.BearsForums.com)...

Thnikkaman
04-06-2009, 05:46 PM
Hell no. Good Friday, BroncosForums transitions to BearsForums (http://www.BearsForums.com)...

Well, it was nice participating on your forum. I will have to find a new home.

atwater27
04-06-2009, 05:55 PM

Post of the day!

Tned
04-06-2009, 05:57 PM
Well, it was nice participating on your forum. I will have to find a new home.

Say it ain't so. We must band together in support of the next GOAT --- Jay Cutler....

Thnikkaman
04-06-2009, 05:59 PM
Say it ain't so. We must band together in support of the next GOAT --- Jay Cutler....

Without that Broncos head logo on his helmet, he is dead to me.

Tned
04-06-2009, 06:01 PM
Without that Broncos head logo on his helmet, he is dead to me.

I'll photoshop it onto his helmet on the all new BearsForums.com (http://www.bearsforums.com)!!!

Lonestar
04-06-2009, 10:04 PM

~G

it was a joke to see how many howls I would get..

wow what thin skins we have..

Lonestar
04-06-2009, 10:04 PM
obviously this reporter has seen jay play...i hope cutler does muff up bad there though, so we get an early early pick next year.

edited for accuracy..

Ravage!!!
04-06-2009, 10:07 PM
41-6

Not to mention the difficulty of winning games when the Defense gives up more than 21 points. Do you know what great quarterbacks can do? Win games when their defense isn't playing well.

This is these QBs records when teams have put 30+ points on them.... our broncos gave up 30+ points in 15 games the last two seasons.. almost half... and gave up NINE games this last season over 30. Yet.... yet... he's expected to win more? Oohh kay.
Tom Brady 5-8 (.384)
Jim Kelly 10-20 (.333)
Peyton Manning 9-25 (.265)
Joe Montana 6-17 (.261)
Kurt Warner 6-22 (.214)
Jay Cutler 3-13 (.188)
Steve Young 4-19 (.174)
Ben Roethlisberger 2-9 (.181)
Brett Favre 8-42 (.160)
Terry Bradshaw 4-20-1 (.160)
Donovan McNabb 3-16 (.158)
John Elway 7-41 (.146)
Dan Marino 7-52 (.119)
Phyllis Rivers 1-8 (.111)
Jake Plummer 4-37 (.098), 0-10 w/the Broncos
Troy Aikman 2-20 (.091)
Ron Jaworski 1-14 (.067)
Eli Manning 1-16 (.059)
Phil Simms 0-20 (.000)

MOtorboat
04-06-2009, 10:08 PM
Tom Brady 5-8 (.384)
Jim Kelly 10-20 (.333)
Joe Montana 6-17 (.261)
Kurt Warner 6-22 (.214)
Jay Cutler 3-13 (.188)
Steve Young 4-19 (.174)
Brett Favre 8-42 (.160)
John Elway 7-41 (.146)
Dan Marino 7-52 (.119)
Troy Aikman 2-20 (.091)
Ron Jaworski 1-14 (.067)
Eli Manning 1-16 (.059)
Phil Simms 0-20 (.000)

I'm sorry, but doesn't this "stat" make the whole idea of a Franchise Quarterback obsolete?

silkamilkamonico
04-06-2009, 10:09 PM
HArd to win games when you're defense is giving up more than 21 points.

Even harder to win games when your actively contributing to the defense giving up more than 21 points by turning the ball over on your side of the field.

Thnikkaman
04-06-2009, 10:50 PM
This is these QBs records when teams have put 30+ points on them.... our broncos gave up 30+ points in 15 games the last two seasons.. almost half... and gave up NINE games this last season over 30. Yet.... yet... he's expected to win more? Oohh kay.
Tom Brady 5-8 (.384)
Jim Kelly 10-20 (.333)
Joe Montana 6-17 (.261)
Kurt Warner 6-22 (.214)
Jay Cutler 3-13 (.188)
Steve Young 4-19 (.174)
Brett Favre 8-42 (.160)
John Elway 7-41 (.146)
Dan Marino 7-52 (.119)
Troy Aikman 2-20 (.091)
Ron Jaworski 1-14 (.067)
Eli Manning 1-16 (.059)
Phil Simms 0-20 (.000)

Wow. What about when teams give up between 22 and 29 points? The problem is, Jay couldn't win those games either.

Here is another nice fact. Our offense last year gained 6.1 yards per play on average, yet we couldn't get the ball in the end zone. Two years ago, the Patriots going 18-1 two seasons ago gained 6.2 yards per play and were scoring machines.

Look, I will miss Cutler's athletic ability. I have said this in thread after thread. I'm not going to miss Cutler the teenage girl that can't make up her mind if she likes Denver or hates it. I'm not going to miss the Cutler that doesn't make the decision to throw the ball away instead of giving up another int. Even when we are behind 3 scores.

The bottom line is that I cant control any of this. Jay gave his fans a big "**** You" with this trade. He didn't show me loyalty as a fan of the Broncos, so why should I show him any loyalty for being a premadonna quarterback?

weazel
04-06-2009, 10:56 PM

althought Illinois coach, Ron Turner decided to rip up Cutlers scholarship. Cutler was angered by this.

Guess who Cutler's new offensive coordinator is...

Lonestar
04-06-2009, 10:59 PM
althought Illinois coach, Ron Turner decided to rip up Cutlers scholarship. Cutler was angered by this.

Guess who Cutler's new offensive coordinator is....

he got pissy then also when they wanted to make a safety out of him.. did not have it to play QB in the bigs.. so he took his whiny ass to be a loser at vandy.. went from one losing program to make ours one..

Northman
04-07-2009, 06:30 AM
This thread isnt complete until Lynch gets in here.