PDA

View Full Version : Cutler to Chicago: The beginning of the end

Dirk
04-06-2009, 08:41 AM
Beating a dead horse but I enjoyed reading this...others may also.

http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci_12074331

If there was but one reason McJay-gate became such a public, if all-too-silent quarrel, it might have been resolved. But there were a cluster of factors that led to the Broncos trading their young, star quarterback.

A chronology of the misadventures that led to McJaygate and the events that resulted in Cutler's departure:

Dec. 14, 2008 — Dwayne Bowe muffs an onside kick.

The Broncos hit their alarm buttons with a three-game lead in the AFC West with three games to go. Inside the Carolina Panthers' visitors locker room, Broncos players watched lowly Kansas City jump to a 21-3, third-quarter lead against the San Diego Chargers, the Broncos' nearest challenger. The Chiefs were still up 21-16 with 1:13 remaining when Bowe, their top receiver, muffed an onside kick. Had Bowe hung on, the Chiefs would have knelt out the clock and the Broncos would have clinched the AFC West.

Instead, the Chargers recovered the kick and scored to beat Kansas City. The Broncos would gag away the division and miss the playoffs.

Dec. 30, 2008 — Shanahan fired.

Two days after the Broncos were destroyed by San Diego in the season finale to go home with an 8-8 record, owner Pat Bowlen fired his coach of 14 years, Mike Shanahan. Cutler publicly denounced the decision and practically ordered the team to keep passing-game coordinator Jeremy Bates. At his news conference the next day, Bowlen said he spoke to Cutler about his concerns.

"Obviously he's the man around here now, so I will be talking to Jay," Bowlen said.

The next time Bowlen called Cutler was in the early hours of Jan. 11. By voice mail, Bowlen informed his quarterback who had been chosen to become the next coach.

Jan. 11 — Josh McDaniels hired.

From the seven candidates the Broncos interviewed to replace Shanahan, McDaniels would have been Cutler's seventh preference. Not that Cutler held anything against McDaniels at the time. It's just that the new coach was a 32-year-old play-caller from New England. Bates was also a 32-year-old play-caller. Hiring McDaniels meant the end for Bates. Cutler, thus, lost his two greatest allies in Shanahan and Bates.

Jan. 30 — Jake, by George.

During a wide-ranging interview with The Denver Post during Super Bowl week, former Broncos quarterback and soothsayer Jake Plummer said of Cutler: "He's a great quarterback, don't get me wrong. I'm not saying anything in disrespect to him. I think he's a helluva player. But Jeff George was a helluva player. There's a lot of guys who have been great players."
McJaygate hadn't been invented yet, but a month later, memories of George — a former No. 1 overall draft pick, who was traded after his fourth season following clashes with his coach — were starting to stick to Cutler.

Jan. 30 — Cutler supports coaching change to McDaniels.

In an interview with reporters from three newspapers the Friday before Super Bowl XLIII, Cutler had reconsidered the coaching switch.

"I think it's a good thing," he said in Tampa, Fla. "Looking back on it, obviously, everyone was shocked to see Mike go. But a month removed from it, I can kind of see the reasoning . . .

You're at a place so long, the stuff gets repetitive. It's time to move on."
Cutler had already had two lengthy phone conversations with McDaniels by then.

"He's very energetic," Cutler said. "When I got off the phone, I was excited. Just talked to him about the importance of our relationship."

Feb. 8 — Cutler's final game as a Bronco.

Statistically, Cutler's worst performance while wearing a Broncos helmet was his final one, at the Pro Bowl. Cutler was supposed to follow Peyton Manning into the game for the AFC, but instead deferred to veteran Kerry Collins and didn't play until the fourth quarter. After an impressive first drive, Cutler struggled and finished 7-of-15 for 48 yards and an interception. His 26.5 passer rating was lower than those posted during his 37 regular-season starts.

Feb. 12 — The Goodmans fired.

When McDaniels was introduced, he acknowledged Jim Goodman would have final say on personnel decisions. Jim Goodman was overseeing the Broncos' draft in 2006 when Cutler became their first-round pick. Goodman and his son Jeff, the Broncos' assistant general manager, were professionally invested in Cutler. The possibility of dealing Cutler wasn't discussed until after the Goodmans were dismissed. Bowlen made Brian Xanders general manager and McDaniels was given final say on football personnel decisions.

Feb. 28 — Proposing Matt Cassel.

In many ways, it all started here. McDaniels discussed a proposed three-team trade that would have sent Cutler to Tampa Bay, a first-round draft pick to New England and New England quarterback Matt Cassel to Denver. The deal never materialized and Cassel was shipped to Kansas City. But Cutler was taken aback.

"Anything can be mended," he said. "Obviously, Josh and I's relationship has taken a few steps backward. I don't play for the coaches, anyway; I play for teammates."

March 9 — The conference call.

After Cutler's refusal to take calls from McDaniels and Bowlen, the Broncos arranged a conference call with him. The quarterback was in Nashville, Tenn., and was joined by his agent Bus Cook. Speaking from the Broncos' headquarters were Bowlen, McDaniels, Xanders and chief operating officer Joe Ellis.

During the call, Cutler was put off when McDaniels reiterated that anyone could be traded if it was in the best interest of the organization. Cutler said he was leaning against reporting for the start of the team's voluntary offseason conditioning program, March 16.

March 14 — The meeting.

Cutler and Cook met with McDaniels and Xanders. McDaniels did most of the talking, explaining his interest in Cassel. Cutler's interpretation of the meeting with McDaniels seemed to agitate him. McDaniels thought the meeting was civil, mild-mannered and productive. The meeting adjourned with Cutler saying he would talk things over with Cook and agreed to call McDaniels that night. Cutler and McDaniels would never speak again.

March 15 — The trade request.

On Cutler's behalf, Cook called Xanders to say his client was requesting a trade.

March 16 — McDaniels gathers team.

In McDaniels' first team meeting as coach, Cutler was a no-show, beginning his unofficial 16-day holdout that caused him to forfeit the $100,000 workout bonus he would have received for attending 90 percent of the offseason program.

March 24 — "He's our quarter-back."

At the NFL owners meetings in Dana Point, Calif., McDaniels is swarmed by national reporters during the AFC coaches' breakfast. Intent on quelling the controversy, McDaniels said of Cutler: "He's our quarterback. We're looking forward to getting him back. We're committed to him."

After McDaniels' press gathering, Cutler tells The Denver Post he and McDaniels were to speak later that day.

"I told him, 'I said I'll listen to you; I'll listen to what you have to say,' " Cutler said before adding: "I really don't know if he wants me to be his quarterback."

Cutler and McDaniels exchange text messages that night, but when McDaniels calls, Cutler doesn't pick up.

March 31 — Bowlen tells Cutler goodbye.

With trade proposals coming in and the Broncos unable to contact Cutler, Xanders calls Cook. Tell Jay to call Mr. Bowlen right away, Xanders says. Cook calls Cutler and leaves a message.

A few hours later, an infuriated Bowlen decides enough is enough.

"Numerous attempts to contact Jay Cutler . . . have been unsuccessful," Bowlen said in a statement. "A conversation with his agent earlier today clearly communicated and confirmed to us that Jay no longer has any desire to play for the Denver Broncos. We will begin discussions with other teams in an effort to accommodate his request to be traded."

April 1 — Just Joshing around?

While attending an Ultimate Fighting Championship event in Nashville, Cutler contradicts his trade request by telling a FoxSports.com reporter: "I didn't want to get traded. That wasn't me. I really didn't want this. I love Denver. I really like my teammates. I didn't want it to get this far."

April 2 — Cutler's kind of town.

The Broncos trade Cutler, along with a fifth-round draft pick, to his favorite childhood team, the Bears, in exchange for quarterback Kyle Orton, two first-round draft picks and a third-round pick.

"It's a sad day for one of the elite franchises in football and all the Broncos fans," says none other than John Elway.

Others are glad. McJaygate ends in divorce.

First one to the Super Bowl wins.

Shazam!
04-06-2009, 08:54 AM
Is this the 1,000th rehash or the 10,000th?

Dr Velcro
04-06-2009, 09:04 AM
I have a headache.

Dirk
04-06-2009, 09:14 AM
Is this the 1,000th rehash or the 10,000th?

I think it is somewhere between 8000 and 8500 but I lost count. :lol:

Still, not a bad summary reading. :coffee:

Buff
04-06-2009, 09:37 AM
Wait, Cutler's not our QB anymore?

What happened?

Dirk
04-06-2009, 09:43 AM
Wait, Cutler's not our QB anymore?

What happened?

:beer::lol:

Den21vsBal19
04-06-2009, 03:08 PM
Ah but the question is is it the beginning of the end, or merely the end of the beginning? ;)