PDA

View Full Version : ESPN: Broncos on the Clock (draft)

Dirk
04-06-2009, 07:26 AM
http://myespn.go.com/blogs/afcwest/0-3-1930/On-the-Clock--Denver-Broncos.html

Posted by ESPN.com's Bill Williamson

Team needs: Defensive line, linebacker, quarterback, safety

Dream scenario: The Broncos have two first-round picks -- No. 12 and No. 18 -- after the huge trade that sent Jay Cutler to the Chicago Bears. Ideally, the Broncos would get a quarterback and a defensive lineman in the first round if they keep the two picks. Here's a perfect scenario: USC quarterback Mark Sanchez with the No. 12 pick and LSU defensive lineman Tyson Jackson at No. 18. Sanchez may not get past Jacksonville at No. 8 or San Francisco at No. 10. San Diego could take Jackson at No. 16.

Plan B: Even if Sanchez is on the board at No. 12, the Broncos may opt to let quarterbacks Kyle Orton (acquired in the Cutler deal) and Chris Simms compete for the starting job and try to draft a young signal-caller in the later rounds. New Denver coach Josh McDaniels is used to developing late-round quarterbacks from his days with the Patriots. Also, Denver could decide to package the two picks into the top five to take an ace defensive player such as Wake Forest linebacker Aaron Curry or Boston College defensive tackle B.J. Raji. If Denver keeps the No. 12 and No. 18 picks and a quarterback is not in the mix, it will likely look at defense and Jackson will be a target. Then, there's this scenario: Denver tries to become a running team with Cutler gone and goes after Ohio State running back Chris "Beanie" Wells. Don't ignore this possibility. Wells is visiting Denver and the team has also held a private workout with him. The team would be thrilled with a Wells-Jackson combination in the first round.

Scouts Inc. take: "The Broncos are going to be interesting to watch in the draft after the Cutler trade. They need all kinds of help on defense, but I could see them trying to package a way up to draft Mark Sanchez. I think he'd fit Josh McDaniels' system very well. There are similarities to another USC guy, Matt Cassel. I think that would be a great fit. But Denver could also keep the two picks and work on the front seven. I think Denver is going to dedicate most of its draft on front-seven players who can play the 3-4. Tyson Jackson wouldn't be a bad fit there." -- Matt Williamson, Scouts Inc.

Who has final say: McDaniels enters his first draft as the Broncos' head coach.

Elevation inc
04-06-2009, 08:13 AM
get a pass rusher in everette brown or aaron maybin at 12, then look at tyson jackson/Knowshon or Donald brown at 18.....thats a excellent first rd in my opinion......jackson at 18 makes alot more sense than at 12 as well......

or if we are worried about jackson getting taken by 18 take him at 12 and take maybin/english/or brown or moreno at 18

by doing this we helped our team much more than some green rookie Qb who has 1 year of football experience outside of high school.....

broncohead
04-06-2009, 08:39 AM
I see Moreno as a better fit in McD system then Wells. Could be a smoke screen having him come in and workout.

Dirk
04-06-2009, 08:44 AM
I see Moreno as a better fit in McD system then Wells. Could be a smoke screen having him come in and workout.

I would take Moreno over Wells. If Denver keeps some of the zone blocking schemes, Moreno would MOST definately be the better pick.

Shazam!
04-06-2009, 08:46 AM
No Sanchez no Sanchez no Sanchez no Sanchez.

Dirk
04-06-2009, 09:16 AM
I agree. Sanchez' stock may have risen in the last couple of weeks....but using part of Laura Bush' quote......"Just say no to Sanchez".

Shazam!
04-06-2009, 09:30 AM
I would rather Denver draft a QB in the 6th round than waste a high pick on Sanchez. I am certain they'll Draft a QB but to waste a pick on such a risky player is just stupid. There are other teams in front that need a QB first, like Detroit and St. Louis and others. I doubt he'll even be available. I also think we have to know McDaniels is smart enough to not waste a high pick on a QB that is still relatively unproven even in college. I could see a guy in the later rounds or even picking a young guy that got waived.

TXBRONC
04-06-2009, 09:53 AM
I would rather Denver draft a QB in the 6th round than waste a high pick on Sanchez. I am certain they'll Draft a QB but to waste a pick on such a risky player is just stupid. There are other teams in front that need a QB first, like Detroit and St. Louis and others. I doubt he'll even be available. I also think we have to know McDaniels is smart enough to not waste a high pick on a QB that is still relatively unproven even in college. I could see a guy in the later rounds or even picking a young guy that got waived.

If you believe in McDaniels ability to mold quarterbacks into legitimate starting quarterbacks then why not get guy who should develop a lot faster than a 6th or 7th round pick and have more talent than a 6th or 7th rounder. I'm not sure how you can be so certain about McDaniels prowess as talent evaluator since this is first time he's ever been in charge of running a draft. I am not advocating that we take Sanchez if he's available but if anyone says that trust his abilities as molder of talent then they should stick to that.

Rick
04-06-2009, 09:58 AM
Because if McD is as good as he thinks he is at molding decent QBs into good QBs then it would be a severe waste of a high pick on a QB when we can draft defense.

Dirk
04-06-2009, 10:03 AM
Because if McD is as good as he thinks he is at molding decent QBs into good QBs then it would be a severe waste of a high pick on a QB when we can draft defense.

A very good statement! :salute:

If....IF he is as good as everyone thinks/says he is. Don't waste picks on a QB...go for DEFENSE!! :defense:

underrated29
04-06-2009, 10:12 AM
If moreno makes it past jax. I think we nab him at 12 unless raji is there. Then at 18 go defensive....I am really starting to dislike Tyjax though. SOmeone made a post somewhere about another guy who is just as big, but a lot stronger that we could nam...

Also royal benched 225 like 22 times or so, tyjax benched it 20. Thats not good when royal is 180lbs and tyjax is 270 or something....

But for now i see- moreno, and tyjax. If we do not trade down from 12 to get even more picks (my personal favorite idea)

TXBRONC
04-06-2009, 10:15 AM

It's only waste pick if the guy never develops into a starter.

Dirk
04-06-2009, 10:17 AM
It's only waste pick if the guy never develops into a starter.

True, but the entire off season fiasco has always came back to the same theme....

Denver's problems are WITH THE DEFENSE!!! :coffee:

:D

Traveler
04-06-2009, 10:20 AM
If you believe in McDaniels ability to mold quarterbacks into legitimate starting quarterbacks then why not get guy who should develop a lot faster than a 6th or 7th round pick and have more talent than a 6th or 7th rounder. I'm not sure how you can be so certain about McDaniels prowess as talent evaluator since this is first time he's ever been in charge of running a draft. I am not advocating that we take Sanchez if he's available but if anyone says that trust his abilities as molder of talent then they should stick to that.

This is a similar problem that Shanahan had. In certain positions, he believed he could wait till later to get players on the OL & RB.

My take is that if they are that good at developing later round, less talented players, what could they do if they had more blue-chip type of players?

Rick
04-06-2009, 10:20 AM
I am just of the mindset of whats the point of trading an allready capable starter, someone that some feel is a star, just to turn around and use what you recieved to get another guy who may at best turn into what you just dealt.

If you feel you can turn a guy like Orton into a good quality starting QB then to me it would be a waste to turn around and send your compensation for another QB.

In that case should have just kept what you allready had. Eventually Cutler would have shutup and played.

TXBRONC
04-06-2009, 10:31 AM
This is a similar problem that Shanahan had. In certain positions, he believed he could wait till later to get players on the OL & RB.

My take is that if they are that good at developing later round, less talented players, what could they do if they had more blue-chip type of players?

If Orton or Simms are not the answer and McDaniels takes a quarterback late in the draft it's doubtful he would be ready within two years maybe not even three years. If McDaniels has to back to back horrible seasons I don't think he would get four years to develop the next Matt Cassel.

CoachChaz
04-06-2009, 11:45 AM
If a QB is drafted in round 1, I think I'll be a little upset. There are guys available later that have tons of potential. (Bomar, McGee, Cantwell, Painter) All would be solid projects in a spread offense.

Round 1 has to be dedicated to defense. There is RB depth to be had in round 2 or 3. I'd look to go with Maualuga at 12 and Jackson at 18. if Jackson isnt there, then I look at Sintim at 18 and then Gilbert or Brace in the 2nd. Then a back in the 3rd along with maybe a center since it's a pretty deep class for center's this year.

BroncoJoe
04-06-2009, 11:48 AM
If a QB is drafted in round 1, I think I'll be a little upset. There are guys available later that have tons of potential. (Bomar, McGee, Cantwell, Painter) All would be solid projects in a spread offense.

Round 1 has to be dedicated to defense. There is RB depth to be had in round 2 or 3. I'd look to go with Maualuga at 12 and Jackson at 18. if Jackson isnt there, then I look at Sintim at 18 and then Gilbert or Brace in the 2nd. Then a back in the 3rd along with maybe a center since it's a pretty deep class for center's this year.

You know Coach, the Broncos lost a few scouts. You should give McDaniels a call.

Yes, I'm being totally serious.

CoachChaz
04-06-2009, 11:52 AM
You know Coach, the Broncos lost a few scouts. You should give McDaniels a call.

Yes, I'm being totally serious.

My scouting days are over. My friend with the Giants asked if I'd be interested in getting in with him if something came available and my response was quick and simple...HELL NO.

It drove me up a wall to scout high school players in one state...not sure I'd be too happy to do it all over the country.

turftoad
04-06-2009, 11:55 AM

Agreed 100%..

We did draft Licht last year. He was one of the top centers out there. I do like your first round though.

I don't think we go RB much this year. We still need Saftey and CB also. I think we have the oldest secondary in the league right now.

CoachChaz
04-06-2009, 12:03 PM
Agreed 100%..

We did draft Licht last year. He was one of the top centers out there. I do like your first round though.

I don't think we go RB much this year. We still need Saftey and CB also. I think we have the oldest secondary in the league right now.

I agree, but after the first 5, maybe 6 corners, the rest of the field kind of evens out. Considering that Jenkins, Moore, Davis, the Smith's and Butler will probably all be gone by early to mid second round...I dont think waiting til the 4th is a bad idea for corners.

As far as safeties go...I'm not high on very many of them at all. I'd be okay waiting til next year where there could be 2 or 3 stud safeties available and taking one of them then. If Orton is a flop, we also have another first to look at Bradford or McCoy. We have a little flexibility right now, but...if we took one of the top corners in the first, or if one fell to us in the 2nd...I wouldnt be upset.

turftoad
04-06-2009, 12:08 PM
I agree, but after the first 5, maybe 6 corners, the rest of the field kind of evens out. Considering that Jenkins, Moore, Davis, the Smith's and Butler will probably all be gone by early to mid second round...I dont think waiting til the 4th is a bad idea for corners.

As far as safeties go...I'm not high on very many of them at all. I'd be okay waiting til next year where there could be 2 or 3 stud safeties available and taking one of them then. If Orton is a flop, we also have another first to look at Bradford or McCoy. We have a little flexibility right now, but...if we took one of the top corners in the first, or if one fell to us in the 2nd...I wouldnt be upset.

Agreed.

The QB class this year is kind of weak. I'd rather give Orton/Simms a chance this year and if they flop address QB next year. Next years QB class is much better than this years.

Nomad
04-06-2009, 12:11 PM
Agreed.

The QB class this year is kind of weak. I'd rather give Orton/Simms a chance this year and if they flop address QB next year. Next years QB class is much better than this years.

Hopefully McDaniels and Xanders agree, as I do agree with you!

getlynched47
04-06-2009, 12:11 PM
screw Sanchez.

Use #12 on BJ Raji if he's available. If he's not, use #12 on Malcolm Jenkins and use #18 on James Laurinaitis or Tyson Jackson. WE NEED A DEFENSIVE LINE!!!

Then use our second round pick on Ron Brace or Patrick Chung. Use our 3rd rounder on Rashad Jennings. That sounds great to me!

turftoad
04-06-2009, 12:20 PM
screw Sanchez.

Use #12 on BJ Raji if he's available. If he's not, use #12 on Malcolm Jenkins and use #18 on James Laurinaitis or Tyson Jackson. WE NEED A DEFENSIVE LINE!!!

Then use our second round pick on Ron Brace or Patrick Chung. Use our 3rd rounder on Rashad Jennings. That sounds great to me!

I'd be OK with that but I don't think Brace is there for us in the second.

CoachChaz
04-06-2009, 12:22 PM
Raji will be a MUCH better 4-3 DT than he will a NT. he's a one gap player with alot of question marks.

Pass.

turftoad
04-06-2009, 12:25 PM
Raji will be a MUCH better 4-3 DT than he will a NT. he's a one gap player with alot of question marks.

Pass.

I like your first round better Coach. If, and I say if, Brace is ther in the second I'd be happy.

12) Rey, Rey
18) Jackson
48) Brace

That would fill a lot of holes with good talent right there.

Broncolingus
04-06-2009, 12:31 PM
http://myespn.go.com/blogs/afcwest/0-3-1930/On-the-Clock--Denver-Broncos.html

Posted by ESPN.com's Bill Williamson

Team needs: Defensive line, linebacker, quarterback, safety

Dream scenario: The Broncos have two first-round picks -- No. 12 and No. 18 -- after the huge trade that sent Jay Cutler to the Chicago Bears. Ideally, the Broncos would get a quarterback and a defensive lineman in the first round if they keep the two picks. Here's a perfect scenario: USC quarterback Mark Sanchez with the No. 12 pick and LSU defensive lineman Tyson Jackson at No. 18. Sanchez may not get past Jacksonville at No. 8 or San Francisco at No. 10. San Diego could take Jackson at No. 16.

Plan B: Even if Sanchez is on the board at No. 12, the Broncos may opt to let quarterbacks Kyle Orton (acquired in the Cutler deal) and Chris Simms compete for the starting job and try to draft a young signal-caller in the later rounds. New Denver coach Josh McDaniels is used to developing late-round quarterbacks from his days with the Patriots. Also, Denver could decide to package the two picks into the top five to take an ace defensive player such as Wake Forest linebacker Aaron Curry or Boston College defensive tackle B.J. Raji. If Denver keeps the No. 12 and No. 18 picks and a quarterback is not in the mix, it will likely look at defense and Jackson will be a target. Then, there's this scenario: Denver tries to become a running team with Cutler gone and goes after Ohio State running back Chris "Beanie" Wells. Don't ignore this possibility. Wells is visiting Denver and the team has also held a private workout with him. The team would be thrilled with a Wells-Jackson combination in the first round.

Scouts Inc. take: "The Broncos are going to be interesting to watch in the draft after the Cutler trade. They need all kinds of help on defense, but I could see them trying to package a way up to draft Mark Sanchez. I think he'd fit Josh McDaniels' system very well. There are similarities to another USC guy, Matt Cassel. I think that would be a great fit. But Denver could also keep the two picks and work on the front seven. I think Denver is going to dedicate most of its draft on front-seven players who can play the 3-4. Tyson Jackson wouldn't be a bad fit there." -- Matt Williamson, Scouts Inc.

Who has final say: McDaniels enters his first draft as the Broncos' head coach.

I think fat-boy has it mostly right (must've had someone else write it for him), with the exception of QB and Safety...

Concur DL and LB are the major, immediate needs...most safety to #3, but much less than DL and LB.

If a QB, limp thru the year with Orton and get into a much deeper class next year.

Dortoh
04-06-2009, 12:36 PM
No quarterback and no moving up or down. Take the BPA on the defensive side of the ball at both 12 & 18 period

Anything else would be a bad joke.

CoachChaz
04-06-2009, 01:05 PM
I like your first round better Coach. If, and I say if, Brace is ther in the second I'd be happy.

12) Rey, Rey
18) Jackson
48) Brace

In perfect world, I'd prefer...

1.Rey
1.Sintim
2.Gilbert
3.Jennings
3.Baker

BeefStew25
04-06-2009, 01:14 PM
What about trading down the 12th pick to get a later first round pick and an additional 2nd or 3rd for depth for your defense?

Dortoh
04-06-2009, 01:25 PM
What about trading down the 12th pick to get a later first round pick and an additional 2nd or 3rd for depth for your defense?

That could become an option depending on who drops. If Sanchez is there and we dont want him that could give a deal more leverage.

drewloc
04-06-2009, 01:36 PM
That could become an option depending on who drops. If Sanchez is there and we dont want him that could give a deal more leverage.

I really hope we don't take Sanchez if he's there. This would be an ideal spot, as I could see at least the Bucs interested in trying to get ahead of the Jets to take Sanchez if they feel that good about him.

That said though, I would even be happy if we stayed put and drafted at our current spot as long as we don't take Sanchez.

Simple Jaded
04-06-2009, 03:29 PM
I hope they're smart enough to draft Mark Sanchez.......Kyle Orton is a Dime-o-Dozen starter, he's a stiff, if the Broncos do not replace Cutler asap they'll have improved the defense to the point where they won't be drafting anywhere near where they'd have to be to draft a QB and they'll be reeling from the Cutler trade for years.

Cut your losses and draft a QB, unfortunately, Doogie thinks he's the QuarterBack Whisperer instead of a Whispering Eye.......

CoachChaz
04-06-2009, 03:37 PM
I hope they're smart enough to draft Mark Sanchez.......Kyle Orton is a Dime-o-Dozen starter, he's a stiff, if the Broncos do not replace Cutler asap they'll have improved the defense to the point where they won't be drafting anywhere near where they'd have to be to draft a QB and they'll be reeling from the Cutler trade for years.

Cut your losses and draft a QB, unfortunately, Doogie thinks he's the QuarterBack Whisperer instead of a Whispering Eye.......

More crystal ball lunacy.

I dont know which is worse. 10,000 threads about McJaygate or 10,000 others by the psychics

Dortoh
04-06-2009, 04:04 PM

In all honesty I doubt he is around at 12. If they want him and take him at 12 I'll take a wait and see angle BUT I swear if we use needed picks to move up for him I'll have a mental breakdown.

Nomad
04-06-2009, 04:08 PM
In all honesty I doubt he is around at 12. If they want him and take him at 12 I'll take a wait and see angle BUT I swear if we use needed picks to move up for him I'll have a mental breakdown.

Alot of 'draft gurus' around the net seems to think Jacksonville will take Sanchez. DL/LB which ever has the best player at that spot!

honz
04-06-2009, 04:11 PM

I don't see what the big deal is about moving up to get Sanchez if they think that he is going to be a top QB in this league. Use one of our 1st round picks, package it up with a 3rd, move up and draft Sanchez. We come out with our QB for the next several years and we still have an extra 1st round pick next year from the trade.

Obviously some people are going to think that Sanchez is a bust and we shouldn't draft him at all, but if we have confidence that he will be an excellent QB we shouldn't pass him up just because we acquired the pick by trading our QB or because we have other needs. We'd still have more picks than we started with.

Dortoh
04-06-2009, 04:22 PM
I don't see what the big deal is about moving up to get Sanchez if they think that he is going to be a top QB in this league. Use one of our 1st round picks, package it up with a 3rd, move up and draft Sanchez. We come out with our QB for the next several years and we still have an extra 1st round pick next year from the trade.

Obviously some people are going to think that Sanchez is a bust and we shouldn't draft him at all, but if we have confidence that he will be an excellent QB we shouldn't pass him up just because we acquired the pick by trading our QB or because we have other needs. We'd still have more picks than we started with.

If they love the guy then by all means go get him. I'm not a draft guru by any means but does a 3rd really move you very far up from 12? If so that would not be as painful I guess.

I just see alot of holes and those top picks are going to be huge for us. When your defense sucks as bad as ours those picks are worth their weight in gold IMO of course.

The more I've heard and looked at Kyle the more I like the kid. I think there is a good chance that he find some sucess here. Then again he had a hard time beating out Grossman that cant be good :lol:

weazel
04-06-2009, 04:30 PM
I just cannot see the Broncos grabbing a QB this year. Next season's class is much deeper, and we don't need a QB. You just traded for one and signed another, lets run with one of them and see how it goes.

broncohead
04-06-2009, 04:38 PM

12) Rey, Rey
18) Jackson
48) Brace

Though I would love to have Jackson he won't make it past San Diego at 16. They still need a starter at DE.

Dortoh
04-06-2009, 04:44 PM
Though I would love to have Jackson he won't make it past San Diego at 16. They still need a starter at DE.

They could decided to go after Engleburger :lol:

drewloc
04-06-2009, 04:48 PM
If Moreno was there at 18 I could see us going that route if Jackson is gone.

getlynched47
04-06-2009, 05:17 PM
I'd be OK with that but I don't think Brace is there for us in the second.

I dont either. I keep saying that Brace has worked his way into the first round, but everybody flames me for it....

Brace is a first round pick, so best case scenario I would trade our #12 pick so we can slide down the first round and pick up an extra 3rd round pick. Grab Ron Brace and James Laurinaitis with our first round picks. In the second round, grab Patrick Chung or Chip Vaughn. With our three third round picks, we can draft Rashad Jennings, that Penn State center (his name escapes me), and a best cornerback available.

I would also grab Worrell Williams in the 4th or 5th round because he's an undersized thumper linebacker like Curtis Lofton of the Falcons, he'd be a great Inner Linebacker.

Skinny
04-06-2009, 05:19 PM
Post Cutler trade: Wells or Moreno at #12. Then whoever the staff likes best at OLB at #18. Or vise versa.