PDA

View Full Version : Elway Has Let Us Down So Far

MileHighGuy
03-18-2012, 07:14 PM
Ok, this is my vent. It is absolutely ridiculous that the Broncos have not brought in better free agent personnel to lure in Peyton. Think about the studs who the Niners have on offense: Gore, Davis, Crabtree... a great O-line.... possibly Alex Smith... and now Moss and Manningham. Stacked on defense too with P Willis & company. They are killing it on both sides of the ball.

Who have we added? NO ONE worthy of playing alongside Peyton. We LOST Eddie Royal. Our best receiver at this point is probably Eric Freaking Decker.

It seems to me that Elway ain't in this all the way to get Peyton. Shame on you, John. Mark my words, the Niners are going to land Peyton based on their willingness to aggressively acquire free agent "weapons" for Peyton.

Nomad
03-18-2012, 07:19 PM
Shannon Sharpe says Titans is a lock for Manning.

rationalfan
03-18-2012, 07:22 PM
What no one is talking about re: peyton and the 49ers : why is he suddenly willing to play in the NFC? Wasn't this a deal breaker because of Eli?

SmilinAssasSin27
03-18-2012, 07:25 PM
did he sign with SF? Has any expert called them the favorite? Who said he's willing to play in the NFC?

Hell...when did any OFFICIAL report EVER come out saying he isn't?

TimBuff10
03-18-2012, 07:25 PM
Plan A was Peyton and then build a team around him. Plan B is Tebow which means don't spend a dime, at least on offense, until he has proven he can be a real NFL QB.

Don't expect them to give Tebow any help on his style of QB play until he proves last year wasnt a fluke.

broncobryce
03-18-2012, 07:27 PM
Plan A was Peyton and then build a team around him. Plan B is Tebow which means don't spend a dime, at least on offense, until he has proven he can be a real NFL QB.

Don't expect them to give Tebow any help on his style of QB play until he proves last year wasnt a fluke.

Probably true, don't give him any help, then pray he fails so you can say, "See, I told you he wasn't a real QB"

wayninja
03-18-2012, 07:30 PM
WTF are you talking about, we just re-signed JOE MOTHER****ING MAYS baby! FA FIRE!!!!

dogfish
03-18-2012, 07:35 PM
what's absolutely ridiculous is you trying to blame john elway-- pat bowlen is the cheap ass who obviously has the front office working on a shoestring budget. . .

wayninja
03-18-2012, 07:43 PM
what's absolutely ridiculous is you trying to blame john elway-- pat bowlen is the cheap ass who obviously has the front office working on a shoestring budget. . .

We thought we could sign manning with shoe strings? no wonder we are out of the running.

JE: "My boss is prepared to offer you shiny new laces for your cleats. He will also lace them up for you."
PM: "Let me mull it over with the wife and family..."

MileHighGuy
03-18-2012, 07:48 PM
We thought we could sign manning with shoe strings? no wonder we are out of the running.

JE: "My boss is prepared to offer you shiny new laces for your cleats. He will also lace them up for you."
PM: "Let me mull it over with the wife and family..."

+1,000,000,000

Shazam!
03-18-2012, 07:51 PM
Im sure Clay and his mob will figure out a way to blame Tebow...

LTC Pain
03-18-2012, 07:52 PM
Wah, wah, wah! What's the appropriate cheese for this level of wining! Yeah, limburger cause it stinks.

catfish
03-18-2012, 08:00 PM
There is a lot of guesses as to what Elway is thinking, I wouldn't pass judgement until after FA/draft is done. The man was involved in turning the team around from a 4-12 team to a 9-9 team.....give him a little credit he hasn't done anything to let anyone down yet

MileHighGuy
03-18-2012, 08:16 PM
There is a lot of guesses as to what Elway is thinking, I wouldn't pass judgement until after FA/draft is done. The man was involved in turning the team around from a 4-12 team to a 9-9 team.....give him a little credit he hasn't done anything to let anyone down yet

You are incredible. No standards. Honestly, if the draft doesn't work out, I'd go a step further and take this side:

http://rivalstees.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/11/Fire-Elway-Orange-Shirt.jpg

BroncoStud
03-18-2012, 08:18 PM

I don't buy this... Bowlen never minded when Shanahan brought in high-priced free agents. I think what happened was Elway thought Manning would sign fairly quickly and he could help bring in the missing pieces, all the focus went towards that. Manning has done anything but that and now Elway is in a pickle. You have to think if Bunkley was a major priority the deal would be done... It isn't, so I have no idea what they're thinking. Despite Bunkley's successful season, teams ran ALL OVER this defense. So it isn't like he was shutting down the interior line.

What I am most disappointed in is the fact that we have DJ out for a LOT of games next year (as it stands today) and our only "signing" is freaking Joe Mays... That's by far my biggest disappointment. But McClain and others are still out there. But I do not believe Elway has handled this well at all. Manning has literally dictated our entire offseason.

wayninja
03-18-2012, 08:26 PM

I always forget who we can give credit to and who we can't. We should get a chart going or something.

weazel
03-18-2012, 08:32 PM

Elway had nothing to do with the turnaround, it was all Tebow

MileHighGuy
03-18-2012, 08:34 PM
F*ck it. I'm gonna just watch Arena ball this season. Too damn painful. Elway fail.

UnderArmour
03-18-2012, 08:36 PM
Of course Elway let us down. There were plenty of talented defensive players on the market under the age of 30 and we failed to sign them. Our secondary got wrecked by New England and we failed to pursue a player like Brandon Carr or Finnegan to relieve Goodman. We have $47 million in cap space just sitting in wait so we can be used as leverage by Manning in his negotiations with San Fran or Tennessee. We're a joke right now. $47 million in cap space and we seriously don't pursue anyone besides Manning? Are you kidding me? We draft later than every team in our division so don't give me this "well wait until the draft" crap either. We are not the most talented team in our division, San Diego and KC have more talent on their rosters than us. We needed to use this offseason to close that gap but it appears this front office thinks it's good enough to set themselves up to become the laughing stock of the league when Manning signs and we have $47 million in cap space and still haven't signed anyone.

There's still time to address RB in free agency, Michael Bush and Mike Tolbert are out there. We needed to sign some good, young players with at least $20 million of our cap space. We have not done that. Elway needs to get the ball rolling.

wayninja
03-18-2012, 08:36 PM

Wow, it's getting deep now.

Yeah, Elway was MORE responsible for the wins than Tebow. Shit's getting dumb fast.

weazel
03-18-2012, 08:40 PM
who said that? hmmm putting words in my mouth. where have I seen this before?

wayninja
03-18-2012, 08:55 PM
who said that? hmmm putting words in my mouth. where have I seen this before?

Do you have ADD or something? Or were you being serious?

If the latter, I apologize, if anything EFX almost cost us the playoffs by starting Orton... so... yeah, I agree.

weazel
03-18-2012, 09:08 PM
Do you have ADD or something? Or were you being serious?

If the latter, I apologize, if anything EFX almost cost us the playoffs by starting Orton... so... yeah, I agree.

me saying elway had nothing to do with the turnaround led you to think I was saying he had MORE to do with it than tebow or any other player?? lol, you are losing it man. You are so hell bent on trying to bait me you dont even make sense anymore. Im gonna go watch a movie, think of something clever to reply with lmao

elsid13
03-18-2012, 09:19 PM
Of course Elway let us down. There were plenty of talented defensive players on the market under the age of 30 and we failed to sign them. Our secondary got wrecked by New England and we failed to pursue a player like Brandon Carr or Finnegan to relieve Goodman. We have $47 million in cap space just sitting in wait so we can be used as leverage by Manning in his negotiations with San Fran or Tennessee. We're a joke right now. $47 million in cap space and we seriously don't pursue anyone besides Manning? Are you kidding me? We draft later than every team in our division so don't give me this "well wait until the draft" crap either. We are not the most talented team in our division, San Diego and KC have more talent on their rosters than us. We needed to use this offseason to close that gap but it appears this front office thinks it's good enough to set themselves up to become the laughing stock of the league when Manning signs and we have $47 million in cap space and still haven't signed anyone.

There's still time to address RB in free agency, Michael Bush and Mike Tolbert are out there. We needed to sign some good, young players with at least $20 million of our cap space. We have not done that. Elway needs to get the ball rolling.

Elway and Xanders are working with internal budget that Bowlen and Ellis have given them. I am still surprised that Bowlen let them go after Manning, must of figured it would be cheap signing because of his injury.

wayninja
03-18-2012, 09:29 PM
me saying elway had nothing to do with the turnaround led you to think I was saying he had MORE to do with it than tebow or any other player?? lol, you are losing it man. You are so hell bent on trying to bait me you dont even make sense anymore. Im gonna go watch a movie, think of something clever to reply with lmao

If not, what's the point? Everyone on the field had way more to do with the wins than anyone in the FO. Good point if that's all you were trying to say. I guess since I paid to see a few games, I can take a bit of credit too.

Nomad
03-18-2012, 09:54 PM
F*ck it. I'm gonna just watch Arena ball this season. Too damn painful. Elway fail.

:lol:

Dapper Dan
03-18-2012, 10:20 PM
People. Please. Shut the hell up. You can give an opinion, but until you have the credentials that some of these guys have you need to be a little more humble and modest about your OPINION. The real world isn't ink and paper. The real world isn't a Madden game. John Elway has his job and reputation on the line, constantly. He has spent more time in the NFL than anyone here. I don't care if you say what you think might be going on. But get your head out of your ass. John ******* Elway knows football operations. The closest most of us have been to the front office is maybe the restroom at Mile High. I get sick of how cocky people are on here. Your job isn't on the line. What really is on the line for you if the Broncos fail or win? Nothing for you. But the guys you constantly bash have a hell of a lot more on the line. So go ahead and say what you think. But please. Tone it down a little.

wayninja
03-18-2012, 10:31 PM
I disagree. Elway definitely has more experience playing, but he had no experience managing in the NFL until now.

I don't count Arena football either.

So far, he hasn't been very impressive IMHO. Just because his name is Elway doesn't make him less accountable. I agree with you that he has tons on the line, but so does everyone else in similar positions in other organizations and they are fair game when they **** up too.

So far this FA has been a disaster. We aren't done in the PM chase yet, so hopefully, by some miracle, PM choses us and we are good to go. If he doesn't, we've made basically no moves and could be possibly losing the guy who made us relevant last year when shit looked bleak. What's the plan then? Era of Webber?

I see your point and I admit that I get a bit hot and am probably jumping the gun a bit, but all this 'Elway is untouchable' stuff is starting to get old.

MOtorboat
03-18-2012, 10:35 PM
I love stupid people!

MOtorboat
03-18-2012, 10:36 PM
Moar Tebow or I hate you!

TT15Superman
03-18-2012, 10:40 PM
Elway is hell bent on ridding himself of Tebow(mania).
1. Pursue PM to either get HOFer or piss Teebs off so that he'd want to leave on his own..."Not my fault"
2. Keep looking at QBs (like checking out the hot chicks when your GF is right next to you? why? well you're looking towards moving on) instead of bolstering a team that needs help on D and O. ... "Not my fault" (PM chose someone else; we tried)
3. Can't stand the heat (er Tweets), so he gives up. "Not my fault" ("those tweeters were mean")

Oh, and as for his 2011 draft?
Well, only one good player so far. You have to assume that @ #2, you couldn't screw that up too badly with the options there, so Franklin has been the only really good pick.
The jury is still out on the TEs and safeties who were chosen over other key players that could have helped the team this past year on D.

dogfish
MO, let's get drunk and burn this whole MFer down. . . .

:drinking:

Dapper Dan
I disagree. Elway definitely has more experience playing, but he had no experience managing in the NFL until now.

I don't count Arena football either.

So far, he hasn't been very impressive IMHO. Just because his name is Elway doesn't make him less accountable. I agree with you that he has tons on the line, but so does everyone else in similar positions in other organizations and they are fair game when they **** up too.

So far this FA has been a disaster. We aren't done in the PM chase yet, so hopefully, by some miracle, PM choses us and we are good to go. If he doesn't, we've made basically no moves and could be possibly losing the guy who made us relevant last year when shit looked bleak. What's the plan then? Era of Webber?

I see your point and I admit that I get a bit hot and am probably jumping the gun a bit, but all this 'Elway is untouchable' stuff is starting to get old.

That's all your opinion. And it's pretty worthless to me considering the amount of experience you have managing and NFL team.

Free agency isn't over. The draft is still over a month away. I think everyone is jumping the gun here with their criticism. People are impatient. It's easy to sit at a computer and tell the FO to hurry up. There is no simulate button. These guys are working. I wish people here help their politicians with the same accountability. But that's for another thread in another section.

Dapper Dan
03-18-2012, 10:41 PM
1. Pursue PM to either get HOFer or piss Teebs off so that he'd want to leave on his own..."Not my fault"
2. Keep looking at QBs (like checking out the hot chicks when your GF is right next to you? why? well you're looking towards moving on) instead of bolstering a team that needs help on D and O. ... "Not my fault" (PM chose someone else; we tried)
3. Can't stand the heat (er Tweets), so he gives up. "Not my fault" ("those tweeters were mean")

Sources? Or just paranoia?

Dapper Dan
03-18-2012, 10:42 PM

There's no High Five button available. But if there were, I'd click it.

TT15Superman
03-18-2012, 10:45 PM
Sources? Or just paranoia?The writing is on the wall. No need to hear it from a DP writer and his "sources". All this will shake out when the Manning thing is over and Teebs is shipped out upon request.

wayninja
03-18-2012, 10:45 PM
That's all your opinion. And it's pretty worthless to me considering the amount of experience you have managing and NFL team.

Free agency isn't over. The draft is still over a month away. I think everyone is jumping the gun here with their criticism. People are impatient. It's easy to sit at a computer and tell the FO to hurry up. There is no simulate button. These guys are working. I wish people here help their politicians with the same accountability. But that's for another thread in another section.

I've only got a few years less than Elway in managing an NFL team. And I guess that makes you and I equal with the validity of our opinions.

And yes, it is easy to sit at a computer and criticize. Isn't that why computers were invented? Sorry if I misunderstood, I'll let you guys get back to your digital utopia of camaraderie where opinions are completely unanimous and the thought of dissension is vulgar and appalling.

MOtorboat
03-18-2012, 10:47 PM

Oh, and as for his 2011 draft?
Well, only one good player so far. You have to assume that @ #2, you couldn't screw that up too badly with the options there, so Franklin has been the only really good pick.
The jury is still out on the TEs and safeties who were chosen over other key players that could have helped the team this past year on D.

Franklin is the only good pick?

You're a ******* idiot.

Set your keyboard on fire and throw it out the window.

Dapper Dan
03-18-2012, 10:48 PM
The writing is on the wall. No need to hear it from a DP writer and his "sources". All this will shake out when the Manning thing is over and Teebs is shipped out upon request.

Skip Bayless! Is that you?!? Hey Skip!!!

MOtorboat
The writing is on the wall. No need to hear it from a DP writer and his "sources". All this will shake out when the Manning thing is over and Teebs is shipped out upon request.

Thankfully, you idiots will leave.

MOtorboat

Sounds like a good idea.

Shazam!
03-18-2012, 10:51 PM
That's all your opinion. And it's pretty worthless to me considering the amount of experience you have managing and NFL team...

I hate it when people say that, 'Well, you're not a (Coach, GM, QB)' and use such silly logic to condescend another poster's opinion. Then you talk about FA, but YOU arent a GM, so by your very statement, you would sound like your opinion is equally worthless. Makes no sense.

This is a football forum, since none of us play in the NFl, should it be shut down? Of course not...

I wish Denver never got in the Manning lottery, not just because I like Tebow. The neverending cycle of garbage here is nauseating. The constant bickering over QBs, Coaches... for YEARS NOW. The Broncos have become like a soap opera... and a bad one.

wayninja
03-18-2012, 10:55 PM
Thankfully, you idiots will leave.

Nah, they'll stay just to spite you.

Dapper Dan
03-18-2012, 11:07 PM
I hate it when people say that, 'Well, you're not a (Coach, GM, QB)' and use such silly logic to condescend another poster's opinion. Then you talk about FA, but YOU arent a GM, so by your very statement, you would sound like your opinion is equally worthless. Makes no sense.

This is a football forum, since none of us play in the NFl, should it be shut down? Of course not...

I wish Denver never got in the Manning lottery, not just because I like Tebow. The neverending cycle of garbage here is nauseating. The constant bickering over QBs, Coaches... for YEARS NOW. The Broncos have become like a soap opera... and a bad one.

What I said..

...You can give an opinion, but until you have the credentials that some of these guys have you need to be a little more humble and modest about your OPINION....I don't care if you say what you think might be going on.... I get sick of how cocky people are on here. ..So go ahead and say what you think. But please. Tone it down a little.

To the last part of what you said, I agree that it's been nothing but bickering for years now. In my opinion, it's partly do to the extreme opinions fans keep having. Fire this guy. Hire this guy. Kill this guy. No one has patience anymore. Then they get sick of hearing about it in the media and get mad at the situation, not the media. I don't watch ESPN.

wayninja
03-18-2012, 11:12 PM
Fire this guy. Hire this guy. Kill this guy. No one has patience anymore. Then they get sick of hearing about it in the media and get mad at the situation, not the media. I don't watch ESPN.

I'm totally on board with this. Patience is completely lost. It's part of the trap we've been in since Elway as a player left. Almost to the point of desperation with the lack of patience.

sneakers
03-18-2012, 11:19 PM
WTF are you talking about, we just re-signed JOE MOTHER****ING MAYS baby! FA FIRE!!!!
While i was reading your post, i imagined this guy was saying it to me:
http://media.ubernets.com/awesome/images/internets/OldSpicePower.jpg

wayninja
03-18-2012, 11:30 PM
While i was reading your post, i imagined this guy was saying it to me:
http://media.ubernets.com/awesome/images/internets/OldSpicePower.jpg

Anyone remember this dude?

RzToNo7A-94

OrangeHoof
03-18-2012, 11:42 PM
Ok, this is my vent. It is absolutely ridiculous that the Broncos have not brought in better free agent personnel to lure in Peyton. Think about the studs who the Niners have on offense: Gore, Davis, Crabtree... a great O-line.... possibly Alex Smith... and now Moss and Manningham. Stacked on defense too with P Willis & company. They are killing it on both sides of the ball.

Who have we added? NO ONE worthy of playing alongside Peyton. We LOST Eddie Royal. Our best receiver at this point is probably Eric Freaking Decker.

It seems to me that Elway ain't in this all the way to get Peyton. Shame on you, John. Mark my words, the Niners are going to land Peyton based on their willingness to aggressively acquire free agent "weapons" for Peyton.

Weak. Really weak. So you think the 9ers built all that in one year? No. It took years of high draft choices that finally gelled last season. The Broncos were NEVER going to catch up with a team that hosted the NFC Championship Game in one off-season and, if they tried, there'd be no cap space for Manning.

If weapons are what Manning bases his decision on, SF is the clear choice. if "going home" is what he bases his decision on, Tennessee is the clear choice. The only way we win this is if we give him the most money because that's the only way he'll be motivated to come here.

I'd rather watch us build slowly around Tebow than blow the bank on Manning, particularly if that means signing Wayne, Clark and bunch of other weapons too. How many championship teams do you know that got built in one year?

MileHighGuy
03-19-2012, 12:12 AM
Weak. Really weak. So you think the 9ers built all that in one year? No. It took years of high draft choices that finally gelled last season. The Broncos were NEVER going to catch up with a team that hosted the NFC Championship Game in one off-season and, if they tried, there'd be no cap space for Manning.

If weapons are what Manning bases his decision on, SF is the clear choice. if "going home" is what he bases his decision on, Tennessee is the clear choice. The only way we win this is if we give him the most money because that's the only way he'll be motivated to come here.

I'd rather watch us build slowly around Tebow than blow the bank on Manning, particularly if that means signing Wayne, Clark and bunch of other weapons too. How many championship teams do you know that got built in one year?

Wow. Epic fail. Where in my post did I say that the Niners built that team in a year? I said that we should have been merely trying to keep pace with them by adding free agents. We missed out on studs like Manningham and Moss and Mario Williams, etc. I don't think Elway even tried much. So epic fail. Learn to read, buddy

bcbronc
03-19-2012, 01:04 AM
oh man, if training camp started next week we'd be so screwed!

dogfish
03-19-2012, 01:13 AM
oh man, if training camp started next week we'd be so screwed!

yep. . .

luckily, the FO still has plenty of time to fill out the roster with the likes of dante rossario, matt willis, and geno hayes. . .

:laugh:

we should have an office poll as to who the most shameless signing will be. . . :heh:

Lancane
03-19-2012, 05:52 AM
I have to admit at this point I'm concerned, there were far better options then Joe Mays, we jumped the gun and signed Adams after Meriweather was picked up without even looking at other options available. We've not yet signed Bunkley which could end up being the gravest mistake the team has made all off-season, it even seems the Broncos' players are perplexed by the lack of movement by the front office.

No one was expecting them to build the team through free agency, but at least flesh it out a little bit so that it can be competitive or for that matter field a team. I'm not freaking out, but they should be. And what happened with Elway stating "that they'd be spending in free agency", I want to know where? On donuts and coffee?

Dirk
03-19-2012, 06:29 AM
And what happened with Elway stating "that they'd be spending in free agency", I want to know where? On donuts and coffee?

That and sending the private jet up chasing Manning. It costs a lot for fuel these days! :lol:

Dzone
03-19-2012, 07:02 AM
Its Elways fault and he is going to be viewed as a failure!

Chef Zambini
03-19-2012, 08:49 AM
Maybe manning has been elways mobey dick.
maybe he thought signing the big fish would attract other fish.
did ANY of us really think that manning would be interested in signing with Denver?
not me, I FAIL to see the attraction.
maybe the attraction was actually ELWAY?

This team was a crater of disaster after JMCD.
I think JE has us ahead of schedule for the re-build.

IMHO, JE got saddled with this TEBOWMANIA that like the mythological sirens, has us on course to crash against the cliffs of doom.
CHEAP, thats a bowlen dirivative, cant blame elway for that.
Can we please wait until the end of free agency and the draft before we villify john freakin elway and join the parade of fire and pitchforks to burn down his house and tar and feather the man that led us to 5 superbowls and WON the last 2 ?
People, please, doesnt he deserve, hasn't he at least earned, a little more respect than what some of you are offering?
its not his first front office job.
In manning, he saw a way out from under the tebow hysteria, can you honestly shame him for his relentless pursuit?
I am NOT a patient man, but in this case, JE has earned my patience and respect.

Chef Zambini
03-19-2012, 08:59 AM
of course, if you are of the mind that somehow TEBOW is our football mesiah, then it is an obvious link to hatred for ELWAY, who is a realistic man and does not believe in the hocus-pocus of the tebow mystique.
for those of you, ELWAY must be percieved as a heratic and therefore he must be burned at the stake.
be sure to bring some marshmellows.
, and thoroughly enjoy the vilification of the BROCOS greatest hero.

chazoe60
03-19-2012, 09:08 AM
Pat better sell the team before next season. Next season we have to spend 90% of the cap. Odds on seeing Bowlen rumaging through dumpsters next year looking for tin cans?

Chef Zambini
03-19-2012, 09:19 AM
Pat better sell the team before next season. Next season we have to spend 90% of the cap. Odds on seeing Bowlen rumaging through dumpsters next year looking for tin cans?will he be looking for cans or players in the dumpster?

vandammage13
03-19-2012, 09:19 AM
Elway and Xanders are working with internal budget that Bowlen and Ellis have given them. I am still surprised that Bowlen let them go after Manning, must of figured it would be cheap signing because of his injury.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I was under the impression that the new CBA requires teams to spend like 95% of salary cap space?

If I'm correct, then Bowlen and other owners who are traditionally cheap (like the ones in Tampa who have been uncharacteristically very active in free agency) have no choice but to spend their $$.

Maybe this rule isn't in effect this year, im not sure, but I know I remember reading somewhere after the lockout ended that this was one of the provisions of the new CBA....Anyone know if this rule is active this year??

wayninja
03-19-2012, 09:21 AM
of course, if you are of the mind that somehow TEBOW is our football mesiah, then it is an obvious link to hatred for ELWAY, who is a realistic man and does not believe in the hocus-pocus of the tebow mystique.
for those of you, ELWAY must be percieved as a heratic and therefore he must be burned at the stake.
be sure to bring some marshmellows.
, and thoroughly enjoy the vilification of the BROCOS greatest hero.

Melodramatic much? Burned at the stake as a heretic? Really?

I'm not sure what's worse, the over the top analogies or the spelling. C'mon, zam, no one is 'vilifying' elway. He's the man in charge of football operations at the Broncos now so he's where the buck stops in terms of personnel decisions. Since we are brewing another QB controversy, haven't landed our 'white whale' as you put it, and have been otherwise sitting on our hands the entire FA period when we know we have a lot of work to do and not enough draft picks to do it with, the criticism is justified.

Yes, John Elway is one of the greatest Broncos heroes of all time and nothing will change that. It doesn't make him immune to making mistakes while running the team nor should it negate any criticism of what he does wrong.

vandammage13
03-19-2012, 09:21 AM
Pat better sell the team before next season. Next season we have to spend 90% of the cap. Odds on seeing Bowlen rumaging through dumpsters next year looking for tin cans?

Haha...ok i guess this answers my question.

wayninja
03-19-2012, 09:22 AM
Correct me if I'm wrong, but I was under the impression that the new CBA requires teams to spend like 95% of salary cap space?

If I'm correct, then Bowlen and other owners who are traditionally cheap (like the ones in Tampa who have been uncharacteristically very active in free agency) have no choice but to spend their $$.

Maybe this rule isn't in effect this year, im not sure, but I know I remember reading somewhere after the lockout ended that this was one of the provisions of the new CBA....Anyone know if this rule is active this year??

Next year I believe.

broken12
03-19-2012, 09:29 AM
Elway hasn't let us down...he is trying to improve this team in a big way by adding a qb .....the qb affects every play and is the most important position in any sport....going for manning is a big move and being patient if we get him or not is ok....we are in the mix something we wouldn't have been under previous coachi.g staff....

wayninja
03-19-2012, 09:33 AM
Elway hasn't let us down...he is trying to improve this team in a big way by adding a qb .....the qb affects every play and is the most important position in any sport....going for manning is a big move and being patient if we get him or not is ok....we are in the mix something we wouldn't have been under previous coachi.g staff....

No one is attacking Elway for going after a QB, they are question the decision to ONLY go after a QB.

There's stuff we need regardless of who is throwing the ball.

pnbronco
03-19-2012, 09:35 AM
Since we don't really know what does on at Dove it's all just guessing for the most part. Did it ever occur to anyone that part of the reason that Bowlen may be cash poor is the fact that Shanny could spend what ever he wanted and did? Not only did Bowlen have to pay him the rest of his contract he wrote it so all his coaches would be paid the whole year he got fired. Plus the Broncos had the highest cost support costs of any NFL team that last couple of years of Shanny's time here, it all adds up. Oh and no I don't have a link, but those of you that know me know that a lot of people in the org talk to me, I don't know why they do, but they just do.

Then McD comes in and makes a bunch of really bad personal decisions. Well someone is paying money for the those bad decisions and it was Bowlen. When John brought in Fox a lot of money had been spent over the last bunch of years with out a lot to show for it. So I will not throw rocks at any Elway, Fox or Bowlen. I don't know what kind of cash flow they have but I do know what it's like to be cash poor. The Broncos are worth a lot on paper but that doesn't mean they have cash flow.

So why bring in Manning if they are cash poor? Well somehow I think that Bowlen can get a loan if he needs it to bring in one of the best that has played this game. Also I can't remember how much they were guessing that a play off game brings in, but it's a lot and it's money the Team gets to keep a lot of. Many of the players take a pay cut with the playoffs and it's extra money for the FO to work with in the future.

When this whole thing started it really sounded like Manning would make a decision early last week. So heck yeah the Broncos needed to give it their best shot. It's not John's fault that Tenn and SF kept muddying up the waters. So I don't see any of this as a failure. I'm blown away that Elway, Fox and Bowlen could make us relevant enough to be in the running this long in a year. Plus there was a lock out last year and the FO could not really work together till later in the year, so it makes what they did last year more amazing. Since the season doesn't start next week and I have no idea who they FO has scouted they I will be patience and just see how it all plays out.

Northman
03-19-2012, 09:39 AM
Since we don't really know what does on at Dove it's all just guessing for the most part. Did it ever occur to anyone that part of the reason that Bowlen may be cash poor is the fact that Shanny could spend what ever he wanted and did? Not only did Bowlen have to pay him the rest of his contract he wrote it so all his coaches would be paid the whole year he got fired. Plus the Broncos had the highest cost support costs of any NFL team that last couple of years of Shanny's time here, it all adds up. Oh and no I don't have a link, but those of you that know me know that a lot of people in the org talk to me, I don't know why they do, but they just do.

Then McD comes in and makes a bunch of really bad personal decisions. Well someone is paying money for the those bad decisions and it was Bowlen. When John brought in Fox a lot of money had been spent over the last bunch of years with out a lot to show for it. So I will not throw rocks at any Elway, Fox or Bowlen. I don't know what kind of cash flow they have but I do know what it's like to be cash poor. The Broncos are worth a lot on paper but that doesn't mean they have cash flow.

So why bring in Manning if they are cash poor? Well somehow I think that Bowlen can get a loan if he needs it to bring in one of the best that has played this game. Also I can't remember how much they were guessing that a play off game brings in, but it's a lot and it's money the Team gets to keep a lot of. Many of the players take a pay cut with the playoffs and it's extra money for the FO to work with in the future.

When this whole thing started it really sounded like Manning would make a decision early last week. So heck yeah the Broncos needed to give it their best shot. It's not John's fault that Tenn and SF kept muddying up the waters. So I don't see any of this as a failure. I'm blown away that Elway, Fox and Bowlen could make us relevant enough to be in the running this long in a year. Plus there was a lock out last year and the FO could not really work together till later in the year, so it makes what they did last year more amazing. Since the season doesn't start next week and I have no idea who they FO has scouted they I will be patience and just see how it all plays out.

Guess your damned if you do or damned if you dont. When Shanny was fired Bowlen said he would take a more active role with the team. Fact is, there isnt any FA's outside of Manning worth spending that much on. None.

pnbronco
03-19-2012, 09:40 AM

It's not till next year.

broken12
03-19-2012, 09:40 AM

No one is attacking Elway for going after a QB, they are question the decision to ONLY go after a QB.

Its not known what it will take to sign this guy... the market o lbs and dt is still there.....we will be fine all the rb are available and so are the defensive backs for the most part.....its not all that bad and if we get manning we can still get wallace.....patience my young padewon!

vandammage13
03-19-2012, 09:41 AM

This is the problem I have as well, but I do want to reserve judgment (till after the draft anyway).

It is troubling to me that we haven't made a splash at all considering our cap room...If we don't land Manning, then basically we are left with nobody to sign other than some glue guys...Mostly everyone of note has been signed already.

If Manning doesn't sign with us then basically we have squandered an opportunity to land some guys that can help us out at other positions...All the while adding more uneeded controversy to our current QB.

Let's wait and see what happens the rest of the way and through the draft though...Who knows, maybe we still get Manning and land a couple of steals in the draft.

wayninja
03-19-2012, 09:46 AM
Guess your damned if you do or damned if you dont. When Shanny was fired Bowlen said he would take a more active role with the team. Fact is, there isnt any FA's outside of Manning worth spending that much on. None.

I guess all the other teams didn't get that memo. Damn we are shrewd.

Northman
03-19-2012, 09:48 AM
I guess all the other teams didn't get that memo. Damn we are shrewd.

Its ok Way, if Manning doesnt show than you can post about your conspiracy theory again of Elway wanting Tebow to fail. lmao

Chef Zambini
03-19-2012, 09:49 AM
Melodramatic much? Burned at the stake as a heretic? Really?

I'm not sure what's worse, the over the top analogies or the spelling. C'mon, zam, no one is 'vilifying' elway. He's the man in charge of football operations at the Broncos now so he's where the buck stops in terms of personnel decisions. Since we are brewing another QB controversy, haven't landed our 'white whale' as you put it, and have been otherwise sitting on our hands the entire FA period when we know we have a lot of work to do and not enough draft picks to do it with, the criticism is justified.

Yes, John Elway is one of the greatest Broncos heroes of all time and nothing will change that. It doesn't make him immune to making mistakes while running the team nor should it negate any criticism of what he does wrong.Silly me, I thought I saw a fire elway t-shirt posted in this thread, I must be delerious.
I am not excusing elway from being responsable for the ENTIRE team, I am trying to explain why he has focused so much energy on TRYING to sign MANNING. ha anyone considered that maybe some fre agents and their reps are not interested in denver because of our tebow situation?
I know, more heracy.
sorry if you dont like my analogies, they are ment to be comical.
frankly, I am rather proud of the moby dick analogy.
final point, ELWAY did not get us into this mess, he is the one trying to help us dig our way out.

wayninja
03-19-2012, 09:52 AM
its ok way, if manning doesnt show than you can post about your conspiracy theory again of elway wanting tebow to fail. Lmao

kftc

wayninja
03-19-2012, 09:54 AM
Silly me, I thought I saw a fire elway t-shirt posted in this thread, I must be delerious.
I am not excusing elway from being responsable for the ENTIRE team, I am trying to explain why he has focused so much energy on TRYING to sign MANNING. ha anyone considered that maybe some fre agents and their reps are not interested in denver because of our tebow situation?
I know, more heracy.
sorry if you dont like my analogies, they are ment to be comical.
frankly, I am rather proud of the moby dick analogy.
final point, ELWAY did not get us into this mess, he is the one trying to help us dig our way out.

It's Tebow's fault.

weazel
03-19-2012, 10:00 AM
I've only got a few years less than Elway in managing an NFL team. And I guess that makes you and I equal with the validity of our opinions.

And yes, it is easy to sit at a computer and criticize. Isn't that why computers were invented? Sorry if I misunderstood, I'll let you guys get back to your digital utopia of camaraderie where opinions are completely unanimous and the thought of dissension is vulgar and appalling.

lol okay I had to high five you on that one

Chef Zambini
03-19-2012, 10:01 AM
You are incredible. No standards. Honestly, if the draft doesn't work out, I'd go a step further and take this side:

http://rivalstees.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/11/Fire-Elway-Orange-Shirt.jpggolly, I am really getting old, my eyes mislead me to seeing this T-shirt in a thread that reads ELWAY has let us down.

Chef Zambini
03-19-2012, 10:02 AM
do I still get to wear the drama queen crown?

wayninja
03-19-2012, 10:10 AM
do I still get to wear the drama queen crown?

Yes. Because 1 post where a guy posted a t-shirt (with his like, 10th post I may add) does not equate to burning a human at the stake.

Chef Zambini
03-19-2012, 11:13 AM
manning a bronco! elway landed his white whale, take that melvin !
tebow is in the toaster, you ass clowns that villified ELWAY now look like huge idiots !

claymore
03-19-2012, 11:15 AM
:cricket: Bwahahahahaha

Northman
03-19-2012, 11:16 AM
Thread Fail

OrangeHoof
03-19-2012, 11:24 AM
Its Elways fault and he is going to be viewed as a failure!

Good call, Kreskin!

wayninja
03-19-2012, 12:59 PM
This thread was never about manning. We knew that iron was in the fire. The thread was about other FA signings.

Maybe now that Elway has his guy, he'll actually sign other FA's that we still need.

Chef Zambini
03-19-2012, 01:15 PM
if elway has let us down, then I am going to contact angelina jolie and see if she will let me down in a similar fashion.

Chef Zambini
03-19-2012, 01:17 PM
This thread was never about manning. We knew that iron was in the fire. The thread was about other FA signings.

Maybe now that Elway has his guy, he'll actually sign other FA's that we still need.I call BS back-tracking !
JE is owed an apology thread and every clown that doubted him needs to pay respect !
eddie royal now feels like an idiot!

vandammage13
03-19-2012, 01:23 PM
I want to see what manning looks like ON THE FIELD before I deem this the right move...

I still feel like there are a lot of unknowns...I hope it works out, but the grass isn't always greener.

If something looks too good to be true (landing a first ballot HOFer for nothing), then it just might be...

Northman
03-19-2012, 01:26 PM
I want to see what manning looks like ON THE FIELD before I deem this the right move...

I still feel like there are a lot of unknowns...I hope it works out, but the grass isn't always greener.

If something looks too good to be true (landing a first ballot HOFer for nothing), then it just might be...

There are a lot of unknowns Van, even with Tebow. But you have to ask yourself (or in this case the FO) do you put your faith in a proven commodity like Manning or take a shot with a guy who may not ever get better? Its all based on preference and for me i side with the FO here in this particular case.

claymore
03-19-2012, 01:27 PM

Manning being good is a side benefit. Getting out of the Tebow shackles is the real prize!!!!!!!!! :werd:

Chef Zambini
03-19-2012, 01:28 PM
mannings neck or tebows arm.
even with FOUR surguries its OBVIOUS that the broncos made the right choice !

jhildebrand
03-19-2012, 01:32 PM
Elway was short sighted in that he didn't get Lloyd to just sit his ass down and be content!

Now that this team has Manning, it NEEDS Lloyd, or talent like him, more than ever!

Northman
03-19-2012, 01:33 PM
Elway was short sighted in that he didn't get Lloyd to just sit his ass down and be content!

Now that this team has Manning, it NEEDS Lloyd, or talent like him, more than ever!

I dont think so. While Lloyd would flourish with Manning i think we will be fine with DT and Decker. Manning over the years has made some average receivers more productive and allstars rather than vice versa. Manning is the kind of guy that can actually make players around him better.

topscribe
03-19-2012, 01:39 PM
I'm not saying I agree with all these. Some of them are just funny . . .

http://www.buzzfeed.com/jpmoore/the-15-best-twitter-reactions-to-peyton-manning-re

Northman
03-19-2012, 01:41 PM
I'm not saying I agree with all these. Some of them are just funny . . .

http://www.buzzfeed.com/jpmoore/the-15-best-twitter-reactions-to-peyton-manning-re

Does Espn have helicopters following Tebow's bandwagon out of Denver.

Dude some of those are priceless. haha

broken12
03-19-2012, 01:46 PM
To all the neysayers.....SUCK IT....Elway is a finisher always been

jhildebrand
03-19-2012, 01:46 PM
I dont think so. While Lloyd would flourish with Manning i think we will be fine with DT and Decker. Manning over the years has made some average receivers more productive and allstars rather than vice versa. Manning is the kind of guy that can actually make players around him better.

I am not too optimistic on Decker. That knee injury against the Steelers in the POs can be an issue. DT will be fine.

I think Willis will be a STUD with Mannning for the reason you mentioned. Couple PS guys look to be promising too.

SpringsBroncoFan
03-19-2012, 01:53 PM

Meh... that's just how it goes... I'll sacrifice Royal or anybody else that didn't want to wait...

Shefter or somebody was pointing out that Wallace was going to be too expensive, that it's too much cap space to hold hostage & lose the pick over... and that SF would probably jump in on him now...

I think we'll be fine with DT, Decker, & Clark... PM might be able to make something of ERon too...

Yeah you still want a fast shifty guy to both stretch the field & get open quickly to take advantage of PM's quick release (Eddie do you really feel like an idiot now?) but we have options...

Hill or Wright at 25 or maybe just find a guy somewhere in the draft that isn't fast but is just uncanny about getting open quick...

What they do with the 25 will tell alot... if they take Glenn then you know they wanted to upgrade the OL (I doubt will see any help in OT unless they try to move Glenn there). It may be they feel that Saturday will help both Beadles & Kuper move to the next level. Kuper was doing much better against the bull rush but Beadles still needs to improve there.

Cox will be gone so I wouldn't be surprised to see Hill, Wright or Martin at 25 - neither would I be surprised to see Glenn... As long as we get Bunk back now I don't care if we wait until the 4th to grab another dt.

jhildebrand
03-19-2012, 01:54 PM
Again, Elway could be questioned in not keeping Royal around too. The guy in the slot with manning would be quite productive if the Cutler years said anything.

jhildebrand
03-19-2012, 01:56 PM
PM might be able to make something of ERon too...

Matt Willis and D'Andre Goodwin are good bets with Manning based on his past of making nobodies somebodies at the WR position.

Eron is gone. Jets signed him off our PS about midseason!

vandammage13
03-19-2012, 01:58 PM
Meh... that's just how it goes... I'll sacrifice Royal or anybody else that didn't want to wait...

Shefter or somebody was pointing out that Wallace was going to be too expensive, that it's too much cap space to hold hostage & lose the pick over... and that SF would probably jump in on him now...

I think we'll be fine with DT, Decker, & Clark... PM might be able to make something of ERon too...

Yeah you still want a fast shifty guy to both stretch the field & get open quickly to take advantage of PM's quick release (Eddie do you really feel like an idiot now?) but we have options...

Hill or Wright at 25 or maybe just find a guy somewhere in the draft that isn't fast but is just uncanny about getting open quick...

What they do with the 25 will tell alot... if they take Glenn then you know they wanted to upgrade the OL (I doubt will see any help in OT unless they try to move Glenn there). It may be they feel that Saturday will help both Beadles & Kuper move to the next level. Kuper was doing much better against the bull rush but Beadles still needs to improve there.

Cox will be gone so I wouldn't be surprised to see Hill, Wright or Martin at 25 - neither would I be surprised to see Glenn... As long as we get Bunk back now I don't care if we wait until the 4th to grab another dt.

Two WR's with significant injury history (Decker broken foot and ACL; Thomas with broken foot and Achilles)...We better get someone else for him to throw the ball to, because our current recieving corps is better suited to blocking for the read option than they are catching passes.

Cugel
03-19-2012, 01:59 PM
if elway has let us down, then I am going to contact Angelina Jolie and see if she will let me down in a similar fashion.

:laugh: THAT was the quote of the day! :beer:

Dzone
03-19-2012, 02:00 PM
Daniel Fells signs with Patriots. Another Elway blunder...lol...Elway is pissing away the future and decimating the team

jhildebrand
03-19-2012, 02:02 PM
Daniel Fells signs with Patriots. Another Elway blunder...lol...Elway is pissing away the future and decimating the team

Nobody is saying that. At least I'm not. Just saying this move for Manning will open up some past moves for criticism if the Manning experiment fails. It also opens up Elway for some criticism as a GM for the first time since taking that role.

Dzone
03-19-2012, 02:04 PM
^I was just kidding, but Elway is rolling the dice and taking a huge gamble. If this fails, Elway will be a failure too.

rationalfan
03-19-2012, 02:07 PM
Wow. are some of you ever pleased with anything?

while elway won't make a good decision every time (no one will), some of these complaints are unreal.

in basketball terms; it's like if the nuggets signed dwight howard and let andre miller walk. big deal. you lose a role player to reel in a superstar. this is smart 98 percent of the time.

turftoad
03-19-2012, 02:09 PM

Manning has turned average WR's into really, really good WR's.

I'm not worried.

wayninja
03-19-2012, 02:10 PM
This was a good move, I'm going to back off of the criticism until I see what pieces can be put in around Manning. If we can't fill some holes, we won't be a ton off better than last year. May be a few games better, but still need some depth and some guys to throw to.

It is a risk, but it's got a high reward. I'm optimistic and today, so far, is a day to celebrate, so no need to start any fires right now.

vandammage13
03-19-2012, 02:10 PM
Wow. are some of you ever pleased with anything?

while elway won't make a good decision every time (no one will), some of these complaints are unreal.

in basketball terms; it's like if the nuggets signed dwight howard and let andre miller walk. big deal. you lose a role player to reel in a superstar. this is smart 98 percent of the time.

I think a more accurate basketball comparison would be letting a young Danilo Gallinari walk for a 36 year old Dwight Howard who is coming off of 4 knee surgeries and missed the entire previous season...

pnbronco
03-19-2012, 03:32 PM
Matt Willis and D'Andre Goodwin are good bets with Manning based on his past of making nobodies somebodies at the WR position.

Eron is gone. Jets signed him off our PS about midseason!

I thought so but missed him going to the Jets, I just noticed one day and went wait I have not seen Eron lately. I think Willis has some up side and could shine with someone like Manning.

Oh and to some of the posts on here after the signing....wow.

Sharpe just sounded like a kid that found out today was Christmas and compared this news to him finding out he made the HOF. This is still his team and knows a few things of how the game is played so I'm following his route and saying heck yeah it Christmas!!!!

SmilinAssasSin27
03-19-2012, 06:06 PM
has our troll returned since PM decided on Denver?