PDA

View Full Version : Broncos still eyeing Quinn?

DenBronx
04-04-2009, 08:37 PM
Browns still could trade QB Quinn to Broncos

Even though the Jay Cutler sweepstakes is over, Cleveland Browns QB Brady Quinn still might end up in Denver.

According to the Cleveland Plain Dealer, Quinn could be just the quarterback Broncos coach Josh McDaniels wanted all along. At Notre Dame, Quinn played for former New England Patriots offensive coordinator Charlie Weis, who has McDaniels’ ear when it comes to quarterback talent.

More from the Plain Dealer:

Trading the No. 18 pick to the Browns for Quinn (who was taken 22nd in 2007) makes so much sense for the Broncos, I can’t believe it hasn’t happened yet. They get a young quarterback schooled in McDaniels’ system whom the new coach can develop and appoint as the face of his team going forward. Denver also saves its No. 12 pick for much-needed defensive help.

claymore
04-04-2009, 08:41 PM
:puke: Ive also read McD doesnt think very highly of him.

Part of my ease of mind right now is that he really liked Orton at Purdue, and like him better than Qunn, Campbell, and anderson. Ive read that somewhere, and it was stated on the local radio show.

I hope im right!

Hobe
04-04-2009, 08:42 PM
Why?

DenBronx
04-04-2009, 08:42 PM
Makes sense. Maybe we didnt show up to Sanchez pro day because well, maybe were not interested. I think Stafford is the guy we like and if he's gone by 12 maybe we will have a deal in principle to send pick 18 or 2nd to the Browns. Clearly Quinn has lost some hype and I think his trade value decreased alot but there's still so much upside to this guy. I would feel much better with him than Orton. Who knows...we could send Sheff and Orton to the Lions for #33 and then send that to the Browns?

Not sure what the mindset is...

honz
04-04-2009, 08:44 PM
Sounds like a writer looking for a story. Absolutely nothing there that leads me to believe that the Broncos are interested. Also, the #18 pick for a QB that has proven nothing in the NFL? I think not! Keep dreaming Cleveland!

Broncospsycho77
04-04-2009, 08:46 PM
So basically, the net gain of the trades would basically be a #1 next year for Brady Quinn and the ability to cut Darrell Hackney...

DenBronx
04-04-2009, 08:49 PM
Sounds like a writer looking for a story. Absolutely nothing there that leads me to believe that the Broncos are interested. Also, the #18 pick for a QB that has proven nothing in the NFL? I think not! Keep dreaming Cleveland!

at this point...i doubt the browns will get a 1st for him. i think if the broncos really want him they should play hardball. why not? let the 1st round go by, pick up the phone and call them in the 2nd. the browns might be desperate by then.

claymore
04-04-2009, 08:51 PM
Makes sense. Maybe we didnt show up to Sanchez pro day because well, maybe were not interested. I think Stafford is the guy we like and if he's gone by 12 maybe we will have a deal in principle to send pick 18 or 2nd to the Browns. Clearly Quinn has lost some hype and I think his trade value decreased alot but there's still so much upside to this guy. I would feel much better with him than Orton. Who knows...we could send Sheff and Orton to the Lions for #33 and then send that to the Browns?

Not sure what the mindset is...

I think you need to get a little more hyped on Neck Beard. I really think he is the only reason the trade went thru.

My preconceived notions on him were untrue, I went back and watched a ton of this guy, and he flat out had no time.

He grew up on a system at Purdue that is very similar to what we are supposed to run.

DenBronx
04-04-2009, 08:55 PM
I think you need to get a little more hyped on Neck Beard. I really think he is the only reason the trade went thru.

My preconceived notions on him were untrue, I went back and watched a ton of this guy, and he flat out had no time.

He grew up on a system at Purdue that is very similar to what we are supposed to run.

:eek: those look 100% real! :eek:

claymore
04-04-2009, 08:57 PM
:eek: those look 100% real! :eek:

They are. ive been workin out.

honz
04-04-2009, 08:58 PM

I don't think that Orton is a better QB than Drew Brees, but Orton is the one with the passing records at Purdue...not Brees. The dude can definitely play, and it will be interesting to see how he does in a more passing friendly system and a slew (or is it slough?) of weapons to throw to.

DenBronx
04-04-2009, 08:59 PM
They are. ive been workin out.

how many beers does it take to get you drunk?

DenBronx
04-04-2009, 09:00 PM
I don't think that Orton is a better QB than Drew Brees, but Orton is the one with the passing records at Purdue...not Brees. The dude can definitely play, and it will be interesting to see how he does in a more passing friendly system and a slew (or is it slough?) of weapons to throw to.

something he never had in chitown was weapons like cutler. it will be interesting to see how these two guys do in this flip flop scenario.

orton might throw a pick or two but he does NOT do it when the game is on the line. something i cannot argue for cutler...

claymore
04-04-2009, 09:04 PM
how many beers does it take to get you drunk?
Buzzed 10. Drunk...... I have different levels so I will say 15-24.

Great post. Way to put it into perspective with relevant starting QB's.

something he never had in chitown was weapons like cutler. it will be interesting to see how these two guys do in this flip flop scenario.

orton might throw a pick or two but he does NOT do it when the game is on the line. something i cannot argue for cutler...
This will be neat. We can bitch and get away with it, but if they are bitching come November about Cutler, there is trouble in Chai town!

DenBronx
04-04-2009, 09:06 PM
man, i was just thinking how much time i spend on here. then i look at all these guys like clay, mo, jrwiz, top ect and most are nearing 20,000 post!

claymore
04-04-2009, 09:08 PM
man, i was just thinking how much time i spend on here. then i look at all these guys like clay, mo, jrwiz, top ect and most are nearing 20,000 post!

Thanks for rubbing it in. If I reach 20k, Im deleting my account and coming back as "sally blow job"

DenBronx
04-04-2009, 09:09 PM
Thanks for rubbing it in. If I reach 20k, Im deleting my account and coming back as "sally blow job"

i was going to go with dick little when i reached 5000.

FanInAZ
04-04-2009, 09:11 PM

You don't do a 2 way trade with the expectation that you will then parlay it into the 3 way trade that you wanted all along. If Denver wanted Quinn, then they would have included Cleveland in on a 3 way trade.

claymore
04-04-2009, 09:13 PM
i was going to go with dick little when i reached 5000.

We all assumed it anyway. :D

DenBronx
04-04-2009, 09:13 PM
You don't do a 2 way trade with the expectation that you will then parlay it into the 3 way trade that you wanted all along. If Denver wanted Quinn, then they would have included Cleveland in on a 3 way trade.

chitown came on with a pretty aggressive trade and we went ahead and pulled the trigger. it never reached a scenario with the 3 teams. mcdaniels i think knew he could use orton as more trade bait or a one or two year rental.

claymore
04-04-2009, 09:15 PM
chitown came on with a pretty aggressive trade and we went ahead and pulled the trigger. it never reached a scenario with the 3 teams. mcdaniels i think knew he could use orton as more trade bait or a one or two year rental.

2 firsts and a 3rd was easy. Orton made it happen. You have to get behind that or else it will burn you up. :eek:

DenBronx
04-04-2009, 09:19 PM
2 firsts and a 3rd was easy. Orton made it happen. You have to get behind that or else it will burn you up. :eek:

i bet the media prys more on this story next week. i can see them on nfl network hyping it up more than what it is.

dogfish
04-04-2009, 09:23 PM
if they trade a pick to cleveland for quinn, i'm burning doogie's house down. . . . :tsk:

seriously, orton's so much better than that tool it isn't even funny. . . .

UnderArmour
04-04-2009, 09:23 PM
Orton would have been Chicago's guy for the next 5-6 years, they just didn't see enough to commit big bucks to him. I sincerely do believe that we will not draft a quarterback this year. Orton is our guy until he screws up.

...We'll wait until next year and grab Tim Tebow!!!

Reidman
04-04-2009, 09:25 PM
Nobody's mentioned Hackney. Maybe we should test drive him.

BigAL56
04-04-2009, 09:28 PM
I think Quinn is going to be far better than Orton. Quinn played his first football last year, and looked awesome considering his experience. Quinn can make every throw. And his specialty? The deep ball.

It's not going to happen though. We aren't going to enter the season with Quinn, Simms, and Orton

BeefStew25
04-04-2009, 09:32 PM
Can we give you grossman also?

claymore
04-04-2009, 09:32 PM
i bet the media prys more on this story next week. i can see them on nfl network hyping it up more than what it is.
Truth be told this was very ,very good for the NFL. March madness /final four whatever werent even talked about.

Orton would have been Chicago's guy for the next 5-6 years, they just didn't see enough to commit big bucks to him. I sincerely do believe that we will not draft a quarterback this year. Orton is our guy until he screws up.

...We'll wait until next year and grab Tim Tebow!!!
I agree a 100% until Tebow's name was mentioned. He is a football player, but his rating this year was 6th round'ish. Thats why he didnt come out. Good dude, true football guy. One of the best college players ever, I just hope we dont sniff around with a first day pick.

I think your kidding?

LoyalSoldier
04-04-2009, 09:40 PM

Yeah and Darius Watts broke Randy Moss's records at Marshall. How did that turn out?

College doesn't matter, only the NFL.

FanInAZ
04-04-2009, 09:43 PM
Can we give you grossman also?

Absolutly! We need QB who's rating is smaller then his jersey number!

claymore
04-04-2009, 09:45 PM
Yeah and Darius Watts broke Randy Moss's records at Marshall. How did that turn out?

There was a car accident involved.

Shazam!
04-04-2009, 09:45 PM
I am glad Denver got a guy with starting experience in return. I did hope they got the deal done with either Cleveland for Quinn or Washington for Brennan though. I don't see them trading for another QB. McD didn't rule out drfating one. I think that's how they would go.

getlynched47
04-04-2009, 10:08 PM
At this point, I would hope that McDaniels can get something out of Orton as we use our first round picks on defense.

I wouln't give up a 1st round pick for Brady Quinn

56crash
04-04-2009, 10:12 PM
http://www.songfacts.com/detail.php?id=2091

Kapaibro
04-04-2009, 10:27 PM
Mmmmmmmmmmmmmmm Brady Quinn

:drool:

broncohead
04-04-2009, 10:43 PM
For someone who hasn't started in the NFL I would only be willing to give up a 3rd round pick+ a later round pick max.

Kapaibro
04-04-2009, 10:45 PM
For someone who hasn't started in the NFL I would only be willing to give up a 3rd round pick+ a later round pick max.

Quinn has started in the NFL

LoyalSoldier
04-04-2009, 10:52 PM

Though not for any long period of time.

honz
04-04-2009, 10:54 PM

I believe I said that Brees is still the better player. Just stating that Orton can play.

Superchop 7
04-04-2009, 10:58 PM
Ummmmm, LETS HOPE they are trying to make a deal for Shaun Rogers.

Rogers isn't happy with Mangini, a minor slight has blown into a major issue. (sound familiar ?)

We definately need him a helluva lot more than we need Quinn.

NameUsedBefore
04-04-2009, 11:05 PM
We got Orton in a trade and have Simms under a pretty expensive contract for a back-up.

If they take a QB now, whether draft -- which I would blow a gasket over if it's with a 1st -- or trading for one... I'd have to think they had no vision in this at all. That'd be the ultimate show of "We don't know what the **** we're doing."

But I can already see it now... Quinn, Orton, Simms.

Yeah, that looks like the set-up of someone like McDaniels. Every one a star in the waiting!

FanInAZ
04-04-2009, 11:29 PM

He started 3 before he got injured

FanInAZ
04-04-2009, 11:34 PM
I just saw on NFL.com a link to the artical that started this thread. Does that give it more crediblity?

TXBRONC
04-05-2009, 07:52 AM

Even though the Jay Cutler sweepstakes is over, Cleveland Browns QB Brady Quinn still might end up in Denver.

According to the Cleveland Plain Dealer, Quinn could be just the quarterback Broncos coach Josh McDaniels wanted all along. At Notre Dame, Quinn played for former New England Patriots offensive coordinator Charlie Weis, who has McDaniels’ ear when it comes to quarterback talent.

Trading the No. 18 pick to the Browns for Quinn (who was taken 22nd in 2007) makes so much sense for the Broncos, I can’t believe it hasn’t happened yet. They get a young quarterback schooled in McDaniels’ system whom the new coach can develop and appoint as the face of his team going forward. Denver also saves its No. 12 pick for much-needed defensive help.

This sounds like something that some sports writer in Cleveland wants rather than anything concrete.

broncophan
04-05-2009, 08:04 AM
I don't see where Quinn has done anything wrong.....where the browns would want to trade him........yea....he got hurt last year......but when he has played.....I don't think he has played that badly.

I would hope they don't have that much confidence in Anderson.....where they would give up Quinn.....but then again.......we are talking about the browns......so anything is possible.

underrated29
04-05-2009, 09:37 AM
This is a horsehyt aticle...We are not looking at quinn. AT ALL.

You do not give up the #18 for a #22 pick especially for someone who has played in like 2 games.

MOre importantly, cassel and vrabel went for a 2nd. WHy the hell would we give up a #1 pick for this chump who has not even had 3 minutes as good as cassel.

Its specualtion, bogus and plain stupid. This is nothing and will never happen.

Tned
04-05-2009, 10:32 AM
This sounds like something that some sports writer in Cleveland wants rather than anything concrete.

That was Rotoworlds' analysis a few days ago. They said it was pure fantasy on the sports writers' part.

Requiem / The Dagda
04-05-2009, 11:24 AM
Yeah, and I just won the lottery. BS stuff.

Overtime
04-05-2009, 05:07 PM

makes sense to me cause when we took Kyle Orton, 2 first rounders and a third, I went HUH? the whole deal was good except for the Kyle Orton part, that right there blew my mind

I just saw on NFL.com a link to the artical that started this thread. Does that give it more crediblity?

no because you didn't post said link.

This is a horsehyt aticle...We are not looking at quinn. AT ALL.

You do not give up the #18 for a #22 pick especially for someone who has played in like 2 games.

MOre importantly, cassel and vrabel went for a 2nd. WHy the hell would we give up a #1 pick for this chump who has not even had 3 minutes as good as cassel.

Its specualtion, bogus and plain stupid. This is nothing and will never happen.

wouldn't be too sure on that.

but i don't think it'll be 2 first rounders...maybe a second and Tony Scheffler or a third and Tony Scheffler.

http://www.fannation.com/truth_and_rumors/nfl?eref=fromSI

Never Trust a Snake
04-05-2009, 05:17 PM
Quinn, like Cassel and Leinart, is a prissy, pretty boy that isn't a long-term solution to the Broncos' hole at QB. Stick with Orton.

BroncoWave
04-05-2009, 05:22 PM
Originally, I would rather have had Quinn but after doing some research on Orton, I am very happy to have him as our QB and I don't think we're going to suck as much as alot of our fans would like to think with Orton at the helm this season.

TXBRONC
04-05-2009, 06:47 PM
Originally, I would rather have had Quinn but after doing some research on Orton, I am very happy to have him as our QB and I don't think we're going to suck as much as alot of our fans would like to think with Orton at the helm this season.

From what I understand Orton has been named the starter just yet.

Overtime
04-05-2009, 06:51 PM
i've heard numerous analysts say Orton will have a better season in Denver than jay will in Chicago.

Orton has a very strong supporting cast, and if we can find a go to RB, he may very well hvae a better year. I just don't think he's our long term solution and I will admit I was against him as part of the trade, but it is what it is. As long as we win, I dont' care.

Jay doesn't have any pro-bowl wr's, doesn't have a solid O-line, and Lovie Smith and co calling the plays. I bet jay doesn't surpass 3,500 yards passing this year.

Shazam!
04-05-2009, 09:17 PM
Orton can be blue-collar and workmanlike. I don't care who the QB is. With decent protection, good WRs that get open and a RB, any QB can produce.

TXBRONC
04-05-2009, 09:24 PM
Orton can be blue-collar and workmanlike. I don't care who the QB is. With decent protection, good WRs that get open and a RB, any QB can produce.

I disagree not all quarterbacks can produce even with if he's surrounded by good talent.

Ravage!!!
04-05-2009, 09:33 PM
I disagree not all quarterbacks can produce even with if he's surrounded by good talent.

Exactly.

There has been 6 QBs that have won the Super Bowl since '67 that wouldn't /weren't considered to be franchise quality QBs. People think we can win with just "any" QB!?!?!? HARDLY! Its ABSURD to think we can simply plug in ANY QB and "simply" surround him with enough talent to win.

Broncolingus
04-05-2009, 09:44 PM
Trading the No. 18 pick to the Browns for Quinn (who was taken 22nd in 2007) makes so much sense for the Broncos

Uhhh...I don't think so Tim.

http://content.ytmnd.com/content/c/f/d/cfd642d49d97c5c79b83079f70e24c50.jpg

A first round for Quinn? Nice try Cleveland...

BroncoWave
04-05-2009, 09:53 PM
Exactly.

There has been 6 QBs that have won the Super Bowl since '67 that wouldn't /weren't considered to be franchise quality QBs. People think we can win with just "any" QB!?!?!? HARDLY! Its ABSURD to think we can simply plug in ANY QB and "simply" surround him with enough talent to win.

Explain to me how Eli Manning and Ben Roethlisberger are "franchise QB's".

They are both good game managers who make enough good plays for you to win the came while the defense carries you.

The only "franchise QB" to put a team on his back and lead them to a SB in the last 10 years is Peyton Manning. Other than that, it was well balanced teams with decent game managing QB's and very good defenses that have been bringing home the hardware.

TXBRONC
04-05-2009, 10:10 PM

They are both good game managers who make enough good plays for you to win the came while the defense carries you.

The only "franchise QB" to put a team on his back and lead them to a SB in the last 10 years is Peyton Manning. Other than that, it was well balanced teams with decent game managing QB's and very good defenses that have been bringing home the hardware.

I would be willing to bet money that the front offices of Steelers and Giants look at their respective quarterbacks as "franchise quarterbacks." And didn't Roethlisberger just become one of the highest paid quarterbacks in the League? That's a lot of money to invest in guy you only think is game manager. In fact how many game managers get contracts like the one Ben signed just last year? I don't know of any.

BroncoWave
04-05-2009, 10:27 PM
I would be willing to bet money that the front offices of Steelers and Giants look at their respective quarterbacks as "franchise quarterbacks." And didn't Roethlisberger just become one of the highest paid quarterbacks in the League? That's a lot of money to invest in guy you only think is game manager. In fact how many game managers get contracts like the one Ben signed just last year? I don't know of any.

When you are the QB of a team who wins 2 Super Bowls, you are going to get a huge contract. Now don't get me wrong, I think Big Ben is a very good QB but if you put him on a team that relies on strong QB play to win a championship, he's not that guy. Do you really think he would have led a team like the 99 Rams or 06 Colts to a title? Big Ben isn't going to set any passing records or play in the Pro Bowl every year but he is a good QB who is a complete team player and will do just enough to win you games with a great defense and running game to support him. When you win 2 Super Bowls, you earn that big contract. What exactly has Cutler done to earn that type of money?

BeefStew25
04-05-2009, 10:31 PM
I can't believe Big Ben missed Santonio Holmes on the pass in the super bowl. What a choker.

BroncoWave
04-05-2009, 10:34 PM
I can't believe Big Ben missed Santonio Holmes on the pass in the super bowl. What a choker.

I said that he's a very good QB. But he's not the kind of QB who can take his team on his back and lead them to the Super Bowl like a Peyton Manning or a John Elway. I feel like with the defense and running game the Steelers have, their are quite a few QB's in this league who the Steelers could have plugged in and won Super Bowls with.

weazel
04-05-2009, 10:43 PM

to the airport

TXBRONC
04-05-2009, 10:48 PM
When you are the QB of a team who wins 2 Super Bowls, you are going to get a huge contract. Now don't get me wrong, I think Big Ben is a very good QB but if you put him on a team that relies on strong QB play to win a championship, he's not that guy. Do you really think he would have led a team like the 99 Rams or 06 Colts to a title? Big Ben isn't going to set any passing records or play in the Pro Bowl every year but he is a good QB who is a complete team player and will do just enough to win you games with a great defense and running game to support him. When you win 2 Super Bowls, you earn that big contract. What exactly has Cutler done to earn that type of money?

BTB if Steelers thought no more of Roethlisberger than a game manager I doubt they would lock him into a long term deal and make him one highest paid quarterback if they didn't see him as their franchise quarterback.

BroncoWave
04-05-2009, 10:51 PM
BTB if Steelers thought no more of Roethlisberger than a game manager I doubt they would lock him into a long term deal and make him one highest paid quarterback if they didn't see him as their franchise quarterback.

I'm not using game manager as a derogatory term. There are QB's in the hall of fame that could be considered as game managers. When you win 2 Super Bowls, you deserve the contract that Big Ben got. I'm just saying that their are other QB's who could have likely led the Steelers to the same success. That's not taking anything away from Big Ben, I just don't think he would lead a team to a SB that mainly relied on great QB play to get them there.

bullis26
04-05-2009, 11:30 PM

ok who are you going to draft with the 18th pick in draft with some NFL experience.... bad statement

Shazam!
04-05-2009, 11:31 PM
That's a little misleading, you know what Honz meant.

bullis26
04-05-2009, 11:33 PM
I said that he's a very good QB. But he's not the kind of QB who can take his team on his back and lead them to the Super Bowl like a Peyton Manning or a John Elway. I feel like with the defense and running game the Steelers have, their are quite a few QB's in this league who the Steelers could have plugged in and won Super Bowls with.

did you see the steelers on there last drive of the game? a lot of QB's coulda done that? i think not nice try though

BroncoWave
04-05-2009, 11:35 PM
did you see the steelers on there last drive of the game? a lot of QB's coulda done that? i think not nice try though

You're right, Big Ben is the only QB in the league who could have led a team on a game winning TD drive against the Cardinals defense. Put his bust in Canton now.

Shazam!
04-05-2009, 11:40 PM
Some would argue the better QB lost the game...

Tned
04-05-2009, 11:41 PM
Exactly.

Yes, jay was surrounded by talent and couldn't win, Jake was surrounded by a combination of over the hill players and talentless players, yet put up staggering winning percentages.

What does it mean? I guess it means we can win with just 'any' QB, since we did with Jake.

Please tell me your ban on Mania will be short.

Yo, LT, you owe me a favor, let this poster back into Mania. Thx.

bullis26
04-05-2009, 11:42 PM

if big ben isnt a franchise Qb in this league nobody but tom brady and peyton manning are franchise QB's in this league.... Eli Manning and Ben Roethlisberger are definately franchise Qb's.... look at big bens stats from the past 2 years he doesnt have great wr's definately doesnt have a great line, and his RB's arent good outta the backfield(besides mewelde this year)

bullis26
04-05-2009, 11:44 PM
You're right, Big Ben is the only QB in the league who could have led a team on a game winning TD drive against the Cardinals defense. Put his bust in Canton now.

he's not the only one....but there wouldnt be many that could have done it

Shazam!
04-05-2009, 11:47 PM
if big ben isnt a franchise Qb in this league nobody but tom brady and peyton manning are franchise QB's in this league.... Eli Manning and Ben Roethlisberger are definately franchise Qb's.... look at big bens stats from the past 2 years he doesnt have great wr's definately doesnt have a great line, and his RB's arent good outta the backfield(besides mewelde this year)

You obviously haven't watched too much of Pitt have you.

BroncoWave
04-05-2009, 11:50 PM
he's not the only one....but there wouldnt be many that could have done it

Peyton Manning, Tom Brady, Eli Manning, Kurt Warner, Phillip Rivers, Jay Cutler, Brett Favre, and Drew Brees are all more than capable of having done the same thing right off the top of my head. I would say that is a good number of QB's.

You must think that Terry Bradshaw is the greatest QB ever since he won 4 Super Bowls and all.

BroncoWave
04-05-2009, 11:51 PM

You're right, he has no WR's. Oh wait, Heinz Ward and Santonio Holmes have both won Super Bowl MVP's.

Fail.

honz
04-06-2009, 12:00 AM
ok who are you going to draft with the 18th pick in draft with some NFL experience.... bad statement
No one is going to give up a 1st round pick for Brady Quinn. I think he is 1-2 as a starter and his best game was against the worst pass defense in the NFL...the Broncos. As a general rule, draft picks > unproven players.

honz
04-06-2009, 12:02 AM
You're right, he has no WR's. Oh wait, Heinz Ward and Santonio Holmes have both won Super Bowl MVP's.

Fail.
Big Ben is a good QB, but his defense carries him in far too many games to consider him a "franchise QB". He tried to give away his first Super Bowl, but his defense (and the officials) pulled through for him.

bullis26
04-06-2009, 12:02 AM
No one is going to give up a 1st round pick for Brady Quinn. I think he is 1-2 as a starter and his best game was against the worst pass defense in the NFL...the Broncos. As a general rule, draft picks > unproven players.

draft picks are used on unproven players.....

BroncoWave
04-06-2009, 12:05 AM
Big Ben is a good QB, but his defense carries him in far too many games to consider him a "franchise QB". He tried to give away his first Super Bowl, but his defense (and the officials) pulled through for him.

Agreed. And one could argue that the refs weren't their best in this year's SB either. He was flat out awful in his first SB and he did get alot better in this one but it still took an AMAZING catch by Holmes to seal the deal against Arizona.

honz
04-06-2009, 12:05 AM

Yes, but they also aren't halfway through their rookie contracts and shown nothing for their 2 years in the league.

bullis26
04-06-2009, 12:06 AM

Fail.

Heinz stadium? well Hines Ward has won the supre bowl MVP but he's no where near the player he used to be.... and just because you win that award doesnt mean your great, look at Deion Branch, is he a top WR in the NFL? he won that same award as those two other guys..... Dexter Jackson he won the award with the bucs, is he a top S in the game? he won the same award as those two guys

People step up and make plays in big games, some people play a great game once in there career(david tyree) but that doesnt make you a GREAT player

bullis26
04-06-2009, 12:06 AM
Yes, but they also aren't halfway through their rookie contracts and shown nothing for their 2 years in the league.

brady quinns recievers sure helped him do a lot in this league

BroncoWave
04-06-2009, 12:08 AM

No, really? Any other shocking revelations.

The point he is making is that you don't trade a draft pick for a player who has been in the league for multiple seasons and STILL hasn't proven himself. Better to spend it on someone who is younger and has a chance to prove himself, instead of one who has been in the league for a couple of seasons and has done all of nothing.

bullis26
04-06-2009, 12:09 AM
No, really? Any other shocking revelations.

The point he is making is that you don't trade a draft pick for a player who has been in the league for multiple seasons and STILL hasn't proven himself. Better to spend it on someone who is younger and has a chance to prove himself, instead of one who has been in the league for a couple of seasons and has done all of nothing.

brady quinn's recievers sure helped him do a lot in this league, and brady quinn has been a starter for less than a year....cutler did nothing for his first year and little his second year..... and your talking like brady quinn is old, the guy has been in the league for 2 years

BroncoWave
04-06-2009, 12:10 AM
Heinz stadium? well Hines Ward has won the supre bowl MVP but he's no where near the player he used to be.... and just because you win that award doesnt mean your great, look at Deion Branch, is he a top WR in the NFL? he won that same award as those two other guys..... Dexter Jackson he won the award with the bucs, is he a top S in the game? he won the same award as those two guys

People step up and make plays in big games, some people play a great game once in there career(david tyree) but that doesnt make you a GREAT player

You said Big Ben doesn't have good WR's. If you think that Ward and Holmes aren't good receivers then you have never watched either one play. Add to that a solid TE in Heath Miller and a very good RB in Willie Parker and Big Ben has plenty of weapons around him.

honz
04-06-2009, 12:12 AM
brady quinns recievers sure helped him do a lot in this league

I'm not even trying to say that Quinn is a bad QB, but no one is going to give up a 1st round pick for him...they just aren't. Also, I'm sure plenty of QB's would be glad to throw to Edwards and Winslow. Edwards dropped a lot of passes last year, but he is still a legit #1 receiver.

bullis26
04-06-2009, 12:14 AM
You said Big Ben doesn't have good WR's. If you think that Ward and Holmes aren't good receivers then you have never watched either one play. Add to that a solid TE in Heath Miller and a very good RB in Willie Parker and Big Ben has plenty of weapons around him.

Willie Parker is not a threat outta the backfield though so dont even try saying that.... and the steelers have Good receivers but no where near a great one.....not one reciever on that team could consistently dominate games

BroncoWave
04-06-2009, 12:15 AM
I'm not even trying to say that Quinn is a bad QB, but no one is going to give up a 1st round pick for him...they just aren't. Also, I'm sure plenty of QB's would be glad to throw to Edwards and Winslow. Edwards dropped a lot of passes last year, but he is still a legit #1 receiver.

Yep. Also Matt Cassel, who led a team to an 11-5 record and has proved much more than Quinn as a starting QB got traded for a second rounder. If he's worth a second, NO WAY Quinn is worth a first.

BroncoWave
04-06-2009, 12:18 AM
Willie Parker is not a threat outta the backfield though so dont even try saying that.... and the steelers have Good receivers but no where near a great one.....not one reciever on that team could consistently dominate games

You don't have to be a threat out of the backfield to be a good running back. Face it, Big Ben has a GREAT defense behind him and very good weapons surrounding him on offense. Put him on a team where he would have to carry them to a championship and he wouldn't be able to do it.

But like I said, you must think Bradshaw is the greatest QB ever since he won 4 Super Bowls and all.

Shazam!
04-06-2009, 12:32 AM
Pitt's OLine is very good too. Overall Pitt is a very balanced Offense.

Dirk
04-06-2009, 06:06 AM

:tsk:

Elevation inc
04-06-2009, 08:21 AM
Pitt's OLine is very good too. Overall Pitt is a very balanced Offense.

pitts o-line directly contributes to big bens failures and injury history, ben really doesnt get time to throw....pitts o-line is big and as overated as they get.....

bullis26
04-06-2009, 08:34 PM
You don't have to be a threat out of the backfield to be a good running back. Face it, Big Ben has a GREAT defense behind him and very good weapons surrounding him on offense. Put him on a team where he would have to carry them to a championship and he wouldn't be able to do it.

But like I said, you must think Bradshaw is the greatest QB ever since he won 4 Super Bowls and all.

Big bens line was terrible, he had above average WR's, and for a lot of the year a third string back(also a third down back).... he did get willie back, but willie is not a great back, he's just a good back

For best QB of all time i'd go
Montana, Favre, Elway, Marino in no particulur order, i wouldnt put bradshaw in the top 10 even

BroncoWave
04-06-2009, 08:41 PM
Big bens line was terrible, he had above average WR's, and for a lot of the year a third string back(also a third down back).... he did get willie back, but willie is not a great back, he's just a good back

For best QB of all time i'd go
Montana, Favre, Elway, Marino in no particulur order, i wouldnt put bradshaw in the top 10 even

I'm just using your logic. You keep trying to say how great Eli and Ben are because they have won Super Bowls. Using your logic, Bradshaw is the greatest QB ever. You can't have it both ways.

bullis26
04-06-2009, 08:45 PM
I'm just using your logic. You keep trying to say how great Eli and Ben are because they have won Super Bowls. Using your logic, Bradshaw is the greatest QB ever. You can't have it both ways.

you become a legend in the post season

Big Ben has put up numbers, and has won two superbowls

Eli isnt great but he is good, bradshaw was very good but not great

By the time Big Ben is done he will be known as great, he's still young has a great team and has already won superbowls

SuperBowl victories help make you great, thats why people rarely say Marino is the best QB ever to play the game, QB's are measured by wins

Tom Brady is another guy that by the time he's done i think he'll be named as one of the best to ever play the game..... put up good numbers with poor receivers and poor RB's throughout his career.... one season with good WR's look what happens, give him those records