PDA

View Full Version : 1977 memories: Joe Rizzo

East Coast Fan
04-04-2009, 03:42 PM
Next in our little "series" is Joe Rizzo, perhaps the least noticed 'backer on that great defense. But he was a very good player, and wasn't unnoticed by Randy Gradishar who described Rizzo as "a real man's man; he never backed down from a fight". I remember that he came from the Merchant Marine Academy and licked a knee injury to make it in the NFL.

The "REAL" ORANGE CRUSH :defense:

turftoad
04-04-2009, 03:44 PM
Rizzo, Gradishar and TJ............................ oh my.

I remember watching those guys in person.

Nomad
04-04-2009, 03:45 PM
Rizzo, Gradishar and TJ............................ oh my.

I remember watching those guys in person.

Wish I did, I was only 4 yrs old!

East Coast Fan
04-04-2009, 03:48 PM

They were really something to watch, and that '77 season was incredible.

turftoad
04-04-2009, 03:50 PM
They were really something to watch, and that '77 season was incredible.

Yep, one of the best trio's to play the game.

East Coast Fan
04-04-2009, 04:02 PM
Yep, one of the best trio's to play the game.

Make that "quartet"-you're forgeting Bob Swenson. ;)

Nomad
04-04-2009, 04:07 PM
In the BRONCOS history dvds, do they have key games or just key highlights from the games from the 60s to present!

turftoad
04-04-2009, 04:09 PM
Make that "quartet"-you're forgeting Bob Swenson. ;)

Ah yes, can't forget about Swenson.

East Coast Fan
04-04-2009, 04:12 PM
In the BRONCOS history dvds, do they have key games or just key highlights from the games from the 60s to present!

The one that I have has just "highlights" from the different eras, but it has a ton of "The Drive" game vs. Cleveland. Ask around or post it in whatever forum is appropriate, but there are some guys on here that have the old games on dvd's and videos that could probably help you out.

Nomad
04-04-2009, 04:15 PM
The one that I have has just "highlights" from the different eras, but it has a ton of "The Drive" game vs. Cleveland. Ask around or post it in whatever forum is appropriate, but there are some guys on here that have the old games on dvd's and videos that could probably help you out.

I remember the Drive, I was in the 8th grade. I didn't live in the Denver area so watching the BRONCOS games was hard and not very often. But my junior and senior year in high school I bought my first BRONCOS hat and followed ESPN and the papers. I wish I had internet back then!!

FanInAZ
04-04-2009, 09:51 PM

I was 8

Never Trust a Snake
04-05-2009, 05:13 PM
I remember that he came from the Merchant Marine Academy and licked a knee injury to make it in the NFL.

The Merchant Marine Academy is Division III! It's quite a jump from that level of competition to the NFL.