PDA

View Full Version : Simeon Rice isn't happy.

BroncoWave
10-19-2007, 12:16 PM
Not sure if this has been posted or not but here it is...

http://www.rockymountainnews.com/drmn/nfl/article/0,2777,DRMN_23918_5726376,00.html

Az Snake
10-19-2007, 12:40 PM
Well I wasn't too happy watching Simeon repeatedly getting pretzeled while attempting to make open field tackles on RBs !

:rolleyes:

eessydo
10-19-2007, 12:48 PM
Let me know when he consistently establishes a pass rush, then I might listen to his whining.

I was a little skeptical when we made that purchase, but Denver loves retreads.

TXBRONC
10-19-2007, 12:50 PM
I haven't been to happy with his inability to defend the run or for that matter to put pressure on the quarterback.

I remember a lot people were raving about how Rice was going to help our defense but he has done nothing.

TXBRONC
10-19-2007, 12:51 PM
Let me know when he consistently establishes a pass rush, then I might listen to his whining.

I was a little skeptical when we made that purchase, but Denver loves retreads.

There was boat load of fans that were saying this was great move.

From one prespective I don't blame the coaching staff because they thought his injury was what lead to his drop off last year. Which that might still very well be but it sure hasn't happened so far.

The other thing to keep in mind is that while Rice is retread as you put it he's also being paid like one as well.

Requiem / The Dagda
10-19-2007, 12:55 PM
Coaches maintain that he isn't functioning at a hundred percent, but it's hard to see a guy who has the ability to make plays like him being deactivated. With Crowder, Moss and Dumervil - it's going to be hard to find time for all of them. Engleberger in the mix messes things up too, and it's just hard justifying five defensive ends on the roster, especially when three struggle against the run. I'd like to see him play, but if the coaches don't feel he's a hundred percent,it's understandable. This isn't the first time or the last time Denver coaches have promised players something and screwed them over. Happens a lot.

eessydo
10-19-2007, 01:03 PM
I don't care who screwed over who, I just want to see the guy who can get the job done. While I do feel like his talent is being suppressed by the lack of effective DT play, I still do not feel like our coaches are not stupid people. They have a vast amount of experience and knowledge to draw upon and can surely see if he is having difficulty above and beyond what we see.

The NFL is a performance based business, so he can mouth off all he wants, he is in this position for a reason.

silkamilkamonico
10-19-2007, 01:42 PM
Do everyone a favor Shanahan.

Cut this one dimensional player.

dogfish
10-19-2007, 01:54 PM
simeon rice needs to shut his fat mouth! he had his chance to prove it on the field, and he couldn't do a damn thing out there. . . don't run your mouth when you're getting paid to be useless. . . if he "turned the corner physically" the week of the indy game, why didn't he make any plays. . . ?? if he can't offer something substantially better than what he's shown us so far, then there's absolutely no reason to have him on the field ahead of promising young players who have upside and are getting valuable experience-- and at this point, i actually think jarvis moss is playing at a higher level than rice anyways. . . and dumervil is in another stratosphere. . .

rice was right about one thing, though-- "They don't have anything like me on this defense." that's true. . . the only other past-their-prime vets we have are john lynch and sam adams-- lynch is still playing at a high level, and adams is doing what he can and keeping his mouth shut. . . rice is indeed the only big name we have who's getting paid three million dollars to sit on the bench and be useless. . .

i would never hold it against the guy if he's hurt and can't produce-- that's on our medical staff for giving us the green light to sign the guy in the first place. . . but if that's the case he needs to keep his mouth shut and not be a distraction for the rest of the team. . . if he keeps piping up they should waste no time and cut him, cap consequences be damned-- this isn't the kind of example our young guys need to be seeing, and we've got enough problems as it is without any locker room tumors developing! thank god we only signed him to a one year deal. . . .

DenBronx
10-19-2007, 03:19 PM
i was one of those fans raving about getting him.

but now....he is by far one of the biggest disapointments on the team this year. i agree with dogfish....rice needs to keep his big fat mouth shut. i could understand his frustration if he was making big time plays but he isnt doing anything. i wish we had never got him and i hope to god he is not coming back after this year. what a jackass.

Medford Bronco
10-19-2007, 03:25 PM
i was one of those fans raving about getting him.

but now....he is by far one of the biggest disapointments on the team this year. i agree with dogfish....rice needs to keep his big fat mouth shut. i could understand his frustration if he was making big time plays but he isnt doing anything. i wish we had never got him and i hope to god he is not coming back after this year. what a jackass.

Is he even on the team :laugh:
that is how invisible he has been when he does play lol

Broncos Mtnman
10-19-2007, 03:41 PM
Is it just me, or is this starting to sound like another Darrell Gardner player?

Be frustrated about not playing if you like, but don't bash the only team willing to give an over-the-hill player, who just came off an injury, a shot.

dogfish
10-19-2007, 03:45 PM
Is it just me, or is this starting to sound like another Darrell Gardner player?

Be frustrated about not playing if you like, but don't bash the only team willing to give an over-the-hill player, who just came off an injury, a shot.

actually, i was just thinking that it looks almost EXACTLY like the gardener situation. . . :mad:

all it needs is an IHOP incident. . . .

DenBronx
10-19-2007, 04:19 PM
i see a lot of players not getting resigned or cut this offseason. if were needing to rebuild then why keep band aiding it with old vets.

this team needs to resign guys like elvis and bmarsh to long term deals NOW before thier market skyrockets.

TXBRONC
10-19-2007, 05:01 PM
Coaches maintain that he isn't functioning at a hundred percent, but it's hard to see a guy who has the ability to make plays like him being deactivated. With Crowder, Moss and Dumervil - it's going to be hard to find time for all of them. Engleberger in the mix messes things up too, and it's just hard justifying five defensive ends on the roster, especially when three struggle against the run. I'd like to see him play, but if the coaches don't feel he's a hundred percent,it's understandable. This isn't the first time or the last time Denver coaches have promised players something and screwed them over. Happens a lot.

If you mean its hard for us to see you're right, but apparently its not hard for the coaching staff.

Retired_Member_001
10-19-2007, 05:05 PM
but if that's the case he needs to keep his mouth shut and not be a distraction for the rest of the team. . . if he keeps piping up they should waste no time and cut him, cap consequences be damned-- this isn't the kind of example our young guys need to be seeing, and we've got enough problems as it is without any locker room tumors developing! thank god we only signed him to a one year deal. . . .

Good point, this guy is supposed to be mentoring Jarvis, Elvis, Tim and Marcus Thomas! I hope they take this as the exact opposite of what to do.

Just cut Simeon Rice, I don't see any other team taking a risk on him after this (both injury and attitude risks), then he will have learnt his lesson. Simeon should just shut up and be grateful.

DenBronx
10-19-2007, 07:40 PM
we wont need rice next year anyway with ekuban coming back. i think we have some good de's but severly lacking good dt's. anyhow we dont have to cut him because we only have him for 1 yr deal.

btw does anyone know if we get a supplimental draft choice if another team signs rice and we dont match even though we had him for 1 yr?

TXBRONC
10-19-2007, 07:53 PM
Good point, this guy is supposed to be mentoring Jarvis, Elvis, Tim and Marcus Thomas! I hope they take this as the exact opposite of what to do.

Just cut Simeon Rice, I don't see any other team taking a risk on him after this (both injury and attitude risks), then he will have learnt his lesson. Simeon should just shut up and be grateful.

I don't know where the idea got started that Rice was to mentor Moss, Dumervil, Crowder, and Thomas. He wasn't brought in for that purpose.

BANJOPICKER1
10-19-2007, 09:32 PM
Let him play and prove his mouth!!:D

UnderArmour
10-19-2007, 10:02 PM
So what if a player mouths off, he's just frustrated to be stuck off the field. The team is 2-3 on a 3 game skid, you'd be pretty upset if you weren't able to do anything either. When it all boils down to it, the NFL is based on what is done on the field, not off. He wants to play, he can't, he's pissed, I respect that.

I'd rather have a player like Rice than one playing just to collect a paycheck. I support him as a Bronco and wish him the best of luck coming back.

Simple Jaded
10-19-2007, 10:23 PM
Guy's, the Broncos HAD to take a chance on Rice....he was there...they needed pass rushers (Still do)....they had to see if he had anything left.

Turns out he doesn't have anything left, he just doesn't have the first step explosiveness he used to have, imo.

Why doesn't this surprise me? Everything that can go wrong in 2007, WILL go wrong.

This could be a memorable year, no matter how hard you try to forget it....

dogfish
10-19-2007, 10:52 PM
Guy's, the Broncos HAD to take a chance on Rice....he was there...they needed pass rushers (Still do)....they had to see if he had anything left.

Turns out he doesn't have anything left, he just doesn't have the first step explosiveness he used to have, imo.

Why doesn't this surprise me? Everything that can go wrong in 2007, WILL go wrong.

This could be a memorable year, no matter how hard you try to forget it....

memorable? oh hell no!-- i'm already trying to forget about it!

:laugh:

ydave77
10-19-2007, 11:05 PM
Simeon needs to get over himself. He said he would be healthy and productive this yr, and then we find out his shoulder isnt 100%.

I say its better to let the young guys learn, and improve for next yr. Simeon wont be on the team next yr, so why let him take snaps from our other DEs. We have quite a rotation already with Jarvis, Doom, Crowder, and EE. We dont need him, or his mouth. Hopefully these young guys will lock down the position for the next few yrs, with Thomas holding part of the inside.
If somehow we can either draft one more DT, or pray that some FA who isnt a scrub will sign with us, we will be right back in this thing.

This yr just isnt our yr. 1st yr of Cutler fully holding the reigns, Nalen, Walker, Travis, new d-coordinator, all the new defensive starters...there is just too much going on this yr.
I really feel like next yr we will be one of those classic 6-10 one yr, to 11-5 the next, teams that always pops up.

Krugan
10-19-2007, 11:11 PM
It wasnt long ago Rice started to climb the ladder, or descend, to being upset. It started after he chose not to celebrate with his teamates, because he didnt play much.

That was the tip of the iceberg, we are about at water level now. Lets all remeber the largest part of an iceberg is below the water line. I have a feeling his crying will turn to screams before long.

Yay for us, in the middle of pure sucktasticness we are about to have a cry baby too.

DenBronx
10-19-2007, 11:17 PM
im gonna mail shanny some pampers because im pretty sure he's tired of buying simeons diapers by now.

Simple Jaded
10-19-2007, 11:38 PM
im gonna mail shanny some pampers because im pretty sure he's tired of buying simeons diapers by now.

Better find out which brand he likes first, somebody as whiny as Rice probably won't wear "just any Ol diaper"....

broncosfanscott
10-20-2007, 01:40 AM
Well, if he isn't happy here then let the young kids in there so they can improve and help our team.

rcsodak
10-21-2007, 12:12 PM
Put his butt out there, and PROVE he's ready to play.

After a couple of dominating games *for his sake*, some team will come calling.

But buying a $3mil car, and parking it in the garage because it's got a tire that needs constant repair, is assinine.

TXBRONC
10-21-2007, 12:21 PM
Put his butt out there, and PROVE he's ready to play.

After a couple of dominating games *for his sake*, some team will come calling.

But buying a $3mil car, and parking it in the garage because it's got a tire that needs constant repair, is assinine.

Bates did put him out there and he responded flopping on the ground like a fish out of water.

Lonestar
10-21-2007, 12:57 PM
While I have not studied all the game film this year I do remember in one of the games that he was the only DE that was getting near the QB did so several times.

He is not the only reason this team has sucked this year. PErhaps had the DT's done there jobs and engaged more than one oline man then teh DE wold not be being doubled.

It all boils down to LOS control and we have had none on defnse and very little on offense. when it counted ..

TXBRONC
10-21-2007, 03:26 PM
While I have not studied all the game film this year I do remember in one of the games that he was the only DE that was getting near the QB did so several times.

He is not the only reason this team has sucked this year. PErhaps had the DT's done there jobs and engaged more than one oline man then teh DE wold not be being doubled.

It all boils down to LOS control and we have had none on defnse and very little on offense. when it counted ..

I kind of doubt its been Rice you've seen putting pressure on the quarterback. Even before him getting deactivated the last game he still wasn't seeing that much time on the field.

Requiem / The Dagda
10-21-2007, 03:33 PM
Dumervil has been the only guy getting consistent pressure on the QB.

eessydo
10-21-2007, 07:17 PM

Are you kidding me, we don't HAVE to do anything. We missed a very large opportunity to upgrade our defensive line when Tank Johnson was prematurely cut from the Bears. While some will say that is was "Character" issue, I will reply "When has the stopped the Broncos in the past?"

We need to look at the > 6 years players, with injury histories shorter than one page that does not include any knee damage.

Wasting our money on crappy DE's should not be our acquisition strategy.

And to the one that mentioned Ekuban, he is overrated also. Could stand to trade him off for a healthier option.

TXBRONC
10-21-2007, 09:02 PM
Are you kidding me, we don't HAVE to do anything. We missed a very large opportunity to upgrade our defensive line when Tank Johnson was prematurely cut from the Bears. While some will say that is was "Character" issue, I will reply "When has the stopped the Broncos in the past?"

We need to look at the > 6 years players, with injury histories shorter than one page that does not include any knee damage.

And to the one that mentioned Ekuban, he is overrated also. Could stand to trade him off for a healthier option.

What team in their right mind is going to trade for guy whose is on the IR?

Simple Jaded
10-21-2007, 10:54 PM

Pfft....You're telling me that you knew for sure that Rice had nothing left?

You're telling me that you knew for sure that the DT's would be THIS bad?

You're telling me that you knew for sure that the run defense would be so much worse than the pass rush?

Unless this is what you're telling me, then I don't get your point.

Johnson had to serve an 8 game ban before he could play...and if anything this season has taught us it's that players looking at suspension don't always use their f'ing head.

The way 2007 has gone for the Broncos, Tank Johnson would have been busted with a hooker in an alley with a needle sticking out of his arm the same day he signed his contract.

Rice was a safer addition and filled a need....The last thing the Broncos need is another idiot like Henry....F' Tank Johnson....

Btw, Ekuban is on IR in what will be the last year of his contract....He's a free agent in 08...

Lonestar
10-22-2007, 11:57 AM
Pfft....You're telling me that you knew for sure that Rice had nothing left?

You're telling me that you knew for sure that the DT's would be THIS bad?

You're telling me that you knew for sure that the run defense would be so much worse than the pass rush?

Unless this is what you're telling me, then I don't get your point.

Johnson had to serve an 8 game ban before he could play...and if anything this season has taught us it's that players looking at suspension don't always use their f'ing head.

The way 2007 has gone for the Broncos, Tank Johnson would have been busted with a hooker in an alley with a needle sticking out of his arm the same day he signed his contract.

Rice was a safer addition and filled a need....The last thing the Broncos need is another idiot like Henry....F' Tank Johnson....

Btw, Ekuban is on IR in what will be the last year of his contract....He's a free agent in 08...

Now maybe I missed something, but the coaches knew that our DT situation sucked. They knew that neither Jimmy whoever and big money warren were both blows..

Thye also knew that Adams while a great DT would not be playing every down, for that matter most downs on Defense..

Last time I noticed they are the ones that count.

I would have taken a flyer on Tank. I'd take a flyer on ANY DT that hits the street for whatever the reason at this point.

Just because mikey has sucked at being GM does not mean the law of averages will not catch up some time.

underrated29
10-22-2007, 12:25 PM
WHEN RICes shoulder heals he should come back to form and imo could help this team out a lot. But he needs to stop whining until then

TXBRONC
10-22-2007, 06:19 PM
WHEN RICes shoulder heals he should come back to form and imo could help this team out a lot. But he needs to stop whining until then

I'm not so sure we need as much help rushing the quarterback, it would however be nice if he could play the run a little.

DenBronx
10-29-2007, 11:14 PM
so why was moss deactivated over a mediocre and aged up rice?

all rice wants to do is cry to get his snaps. well he got them tonight and showed no pressure. favre had all day to throw it....

bye bye rice....dont expect to be a bronco next year.

silkamilkamonico
10-29-2007, 11:17 PM
What's worse?

Rice's production for Denver this year....

Or the fact that Shanahan deactivated the #1 pick who's having a solid year in Moss, for Rice?

I'm going with Shanahan's moronic decision.

DenBronx
10-29-2007, 11:23 PM
What's worse?

Or the fact that Shanahan deactivated the #1 pick who's having a solid year in Moss, for Rice?

its like he caved in under the pressure. moss at least adds pressure and needs every play this year as a rookie.

crowder was a ninja tonight too.i guess he started halloween early...along with the invisible man dumervil.

gobroncsnv
10-30-2007, 01:38 AM
Whoever we put out there, hopefully as a unit, we haven't had our only good game of the season. Man, we could still use more quality up front. We are just not there yet. And for what it's worth, Rice didn't do anything to back up his talkin'.

Stargazer
10-30-2007, 01:43 AM
Rice was, um awesome out there today!:cool:

Moss should never dress again. Rice was spectacular tonight!:cool:

Stargazer
10-30-2007, 01:45 AM
What's worse?

And Moss was excited to play against a great player in Favre. His reward... Bench.:shocked:

Retired_Member_001
10-30-2007, 06:43 AM
What's worse?

I think we should put Shanahan on IR.

Disgusting decision.