PDA

View Full Version : Who Won the Cutler Trade?

claymore
04-04-2009, 09:58 AM
Who Won the Cutler Trade?

Analysis

So, who was the winner in Thursday's trade of quarterback Jay Cutler from the Denver Broncos to the Chicago Bears?

The Broncos, it says here.

Yes, the Bears finally have a quarterback. This isn't a knock of Cutler, a legitimately talented player.

But the Broncos got quarterback Kyle Orton, two first-round draft picks and a third-rounder for Cutler, a quarterback that everyone knew they were going to trade, and a fifth-rounder.

That's quite a return.

Compare that to the second-round choice that the New England Patriots got when they traded quarterback Matt Cassel to the Kansas City Chiefs earlier this offseason. Cutler might be better than Cassel, but is he that much better?

The Broncos now can plug in Orton or Chris Simms as their starter for now, draft a quarterback of the future and use the other draft picks they got from the Bears to rebuild other areas of their team. They're rid of the headaches created recently by Cutler, and rookie coach Josh McDaniels is off the hook for immediately alienating the most important player on his roster.

The view here is that the Broncos did very, very well.

http://views.washingtonpost.com/theleague/nflnewsfeed/2009/04/who-won-the-cutler-trade.html

I am liking Orton more and more every day. The more I watch and hear, the more I get excited.

Orton isnt as exciting as Cutler, but..... I think he will fit in pretty damn good right away.

If It was up to me, and I had a choice on keeping Cutler, or making this deal over again...... I think I would make the deal.

Northman
04-04-2009, 10:00 AM
I got the best deal. 2 boxes of krispy kremes and a gallon of OJ.

NightTrainLayne
04-04-2009, 10:01 AM
I am liking Orton more and more every day. The more I watch and hear, the more I get excited.

Orton isnt as exciting as Cutler, but..... I think he will fit in pretty damn good right away.

If It was up to me, and I had a choice on keeping Cutler, or making this deal over again...... I think I would make the deal.

. .. .Clay's wife is posting on his account again. . . :D

Now you just have to convince Bief.

Requiem / The Dagda
04-04-2009, 10:01 AM
If Cutler goes on to be a Hall of Fame guy and our picks bust out and Orton doesn't do well, we will know years down the road who got the better deal. Right now? Not sure. It is about winning games and if Denver can muster up better than 8-8 this season and have some impact from the players we draft or package picks to draft and continue to develop and grow into a great franchise, perhaps we get the better end of the stick. Just too ambiguous to know, but we just got two first-rounders, a third and a starting QB for Jay Cutler and a fifth. Um, good ******* deal dude.

claymore
04-04-2009, 10:07 AM
. .. .Clay's wife is posting on his account again. . . :D

Now you just have to convince Bief.
Beef Bear will come around.

If Cutler goes on to be a Hall of Fame guy and our picks bust out and Orton doesn't do well, we will know years down the road who got the better deal. Right now? Not sure. It is about winning games and if Denver can muster up better than 8-8 this season and have some impact from the players we draft or package picks to draft and continue to develop and grow into a great franchise, perhaps we get the better end of the stick. Just too ambiguous to know, but we just got two first-rounders, a third and a starting QB for Jay Cutler and a fifth. Um, good ******* deal dude.
I dont see Orton falling on his face. If we had Simms and those picks, id probably still be pissed.

I kinda want to trade Chicago's 2010 #1 for something this year. Maybe package Marshall and the Number 1 for Boldin or something. I just dont like future picks.

Foochacho
04-04-2009, 10:11 AM
I get to see alot of bears games and Orton has improved alot. Alot of people just remember how bad he sucked early in his career when him and grossman were battling for the starting position. After grossman was out of the picture he showed why he deserved the starting job.

Orton's numbers from last year were pretty solid even with a crap o-line and receivers. His numbers may not be sexiest but he didn't get to throw the ball 40 -50 times a game like cutler. He has a solid arm and can put a little heat behind it when he needs to.

Requiem / The Dagda
04-04-2009, 10:12 AM
I'd hate for Denver to trade that future first-rounder into this years draft class. Especially this early on without knowing where Chicago is going to pick. Whether it is high or low to me -- it really doesn't matter, but you're only going to get "half" value in that trade. So essentially, we're trading a first for at best a second rounder? No. I don't like that idea. I like the idea of us having two picks in back to back years. Plus, we already have an extra fifth next year. That's a good thing.

Nomad
04-04-2009, 10:17 AM
I get to see alot of bears games and Orton has improved alot. Alot of people just remember how bad he sucked early in his career when him and grossman were battling for the starting position. After grossman was out of the picture he showed why he deserved the starting job.

Orton's numbers from last year were pretty solid even with a crap o-line and receivers. His numbers may not be sexiest but he didn't get to throw the ball 40 -50 times a game like cutler. He has a solid arm and can put a little heat behind it when he needs to.

As Dilfer said, "this is not baseball were stats mean the most, it's football and it's all about winning." Orton only played 7 or 8 games last year so who knows how his season would have ended. I believe both teams came out good! We'll find out come Sept., I just hope for healthy players this year and the injury bug stays away for a change:tsk:.

Nomad
04-04-2009, 10:18 AM
I'd hate for Denver to trade that future first-rounder into this years draft class. Especially this early on without knowing where Chicago is going to pick. Whether it is high or low to me -- it really doesn't matter, but you're only going to get "half" value in that trade. So essentially, we're trading a first for at best a second rounder? No. I don't like that idea. I like the idea of us having two picks in back to back years. Plus, we already have an extra fifth next year. That's a good thing.

SOLID!! No impulse buying;)!

TXBRONC
04-04-2009, 10:21 AM

I don't know if Orton is going to be the starter, I think Simms has as good of chance as Orton to be our starter.

claymore
04-04-2009, 10:23 AM

It is roughly a 2nd round pick in value for picks. But if we used it on a top tier restricted free agent that had a first round tender I would be happy. Especially if its a high first round pick next year.

claymore
04-04-2009, 10:26 AM
I don't know if Orton is going to be the starter, I think Simms has as good of chance as Orton to be our starter.

Ive watched probably all of simms games here, and I think he is a 3rd string back up. I gave up hope for the guy when he got frustrated and went to the huddle crying alligator tears a couple years back.

He lost all team respect cause of his hatchet wound.

Denver27og
04-04-2009, 10:26 AM
cant really say who won yet until the picks pan out... so about the middle of next year is when we can figure who got the better end of the trade

gobroncsnv
04-04-2009, 10:32 AM
Right now, it's kind of easy to say... Bears get the best value in the first couple of years, Broncos get the better end long term, IF THEY PICK WELL! When's the last time this team has a potential of 4 first round picks within 2 years?

claymore
04-04-2009, 10:47 AM
cant really say who won yet until the picks pan out... so about the middle of next year is when we can figure who got the better end of the trade

Right now, it's kind of easy to say... Bears get the best value in the first couple of years, Broncos get the better end long term, IF THEY PICK WELL! When's the last time this team has a potential of 4 first round picks within 2 years?

If Orton has a good year In McD's offense, we will know by January.

broncophan
04-04-2009, 10:49 AM

Well......there you have it.......if Claymore likes the deal.......it MUST be a good deal...:rolleyes:

claymore
04-04-2009, 10:51 AM
Well......there you have it.......if Claymore likes the deal.......it MUST be a good deal...:rolleyes:

:bitterbeerface:

Denver27og
04-04-2009, 10:52 AM
seems like "the coach" doesnt really need a mobile QB to run his offense... orton.. he should be decent... imagine how excited he is to have all these crazy weapons in bmarsh royal slot machine n sheff.. bet hes on cloud nine right now

Broncolingus
04-04-2009, 10:57 AM
I agree with Cic...

I think right now, Denver has the edge because of the 'possibilities' based on what they have in the draft and a decent (admittedly not spectacular) replacement for Cutler for the short term...

I don't know if Denver can rebuild that miserable defense fast enough to have success in the postseason in the next year or two...

I think the Bears can easily be in the postseason in the next year or two...

Overall and right or wrong, knowing Brat wasnt going to talk to anyone anymore in the organization, and didnt want to stay with the team and fans in Denver - that kinda made things easy that he was leaving...

...so, given that, I'm happy with what Denver got for him. I don't think they couldve done much better.

JONtheBRONCO
04-04-2009, 10:57 AM
Beef Bear will come around.

I dont see Orton falling on his face. If we had Simms and those picks, id probably still be pissed.

I kinda want to trade Chicago's 2010 #1 for something this year. Maybe package Marshall and the Number 1 for Boldin or something. I just dont like future picks.

You will next year clay.

slim
04-04-2009, 10:58 AM

I agree...but I thought we gave up the 5th? But I guess we actually received a 5th as well?

Orton will do well here. I bet he has a better year than Cutty.

Dirk
04-04-2009, 10:59 AM
On paper, Denver got the best deal.

In reality, only time will tell.

claymore
04-04-2009, 11:00 AM
I agree...but I thought we gave up the 5th? But I guess we actually received a 5th as well?

Orton will do well here. I bet he has a better year than Cutty.

We gave up a 5th that we received for something else....... Was it Foxy? :confused:

claymore
04-04-2009, 11:03 AM
I agree with Cic...

I think right now, Denver has the edge because of the 'possibilities' based on what they have in the draft and a decent (admittedly not spectacular) replacement for Cutler for the short term...

I don't know if Denver can rebuild that miserable defense fast enough to have success in the postseason in the next year or two...

I think the Bears can easily be in the postseason in the next year or two...

Overall and right or wrong, knowing Brat wasnt going to talk to anyone anymore in the organization, and didnt want to stay with the team and fans in Denver - that kinda made things easy that he was leaving...

...so, given that, I'm happy with what Denver got for him. I don't think they couldve done much better.

I was watching NFLN last night on the best drafts ever, San fran took a defense that was ranked 27th in 1980, and turned it into the #2 defense in the league. so..... Its possible!

spikerman
04-04-2009, 11:06 AM
I think at this point the Bears got the better of the deal. I realize that the trade had to happen as there was no way they were going to coexist, but I think the Broncos have set themselves back. There were so many defensive weaknesses on this team that they could have focused almost entirely on defense in the draft. Now, with this move, the Broncos are going to have to sacrifice at least one, and possibly multiple picks, to draft a QB. I guess it's the best deal that Denver could get, but I still feel like the Bears won this one.

slim
04-04-2009, 11:13 AM
I think at this point the Bears got the better of the deal. I realize that the trade had to happen as there was no way they were going to coexist, but I think the Broncos have set themselves back. There were so many defensive weaknesses on this team that they could have focused almost entirely on defense in the draft. Now, with this move, the Broncos are going to have to sacrifice at least one, and possibly multiple picks, to draft a QB. I guess it's the best deal that Denver could get, but I still feel like the Bears won this one.

I doubt that is going to happen.

slim
04-04-2009, 11:16 AM
We gave up a 5th that we received for something else....... Was it Foxy? :confused:

That's what I thought. But the article says we recieved a 5th rounder :noidea:.

Anywho, glad to see you back to normal. :welcome:

spikerman
04-04-2009, 11:16 AM
I doubt that is going to happen.
You don't think they'll draft a QB? I pray that they don't look at Orton as the long-term solution.

Superchop 7
04-04-2009, 11:17 AM
We just lost a franchise QB.

Yeah, thats a sweet deal.

slim
04-04-2009, 11:25 AM
You don't think they'll draft a QB? I pray that they don't look at Orton as the long-term solution.

I think they will see what he can do this year. If he plays poorly, they will look at other options in 2010.

Nomad
04-04-2009, 11:29 AM
I think they will see what he can do this year. If he plays poorly, they will look at other options in 2010.

True! Give Orton a chance to prove himself this year and build this defense and perhaps get a quality RB at 18:whoknows:. But this QB class this year isn't anything to waste a #1 on.

spikerman
04-04-2009, 11:32 AM
True! Give Orton a chance to prove himself this year and build this defense and perhaps get a quality RB at 18:whoknows:. But this QB class this year isn't anything to waste a #1 on.
I don't know. The rumor is that they're VERY interested in Sanchez. I guess my point is that I think it's a shame that the team has to even consider drafting a QB this year - that, to me, is why Denver did not win in this trade.

Nomad
04-04-2009, 11:35 AM
I don't know. The rumor is that they're VERY interested in Sanchez. I guess my point is that I think it's a shame that the team has to even consider drafting a QB this year - that, to me, is why Denver did not win in this trade.

That's what I'm afraid of and I hear the same. I guess McDaniels has the same mentality with QBs as Shanny did with RBs. Also I'm not going to rehash the Cutler saga but it is what it is and I believe Orton is due his time to prove himself considering his record.

nevcraw
04-04-2009, 11:38 AM
Hah! The they you are reffering to will be the next they if Orton plays poorly.. This "they" has boxed themsleves into a a nice tight corner to win now or be run out of town..

MadMax
04-04-2009, 11:40 AM

We will not draft a QB before round 4.

If we had planned on drafting a high round QB then there was no reason to accept Chicago's deal. I'm pretty sure there were a few other teams offering two firsts, it was the addition of Orton that pushed our FO to accept Chicago's offer. If we were planning on drafting a QB then we would have looked for two firsts and an impact player on defense not another qb. The only reason to accept Chicago's deal is that the FO thinks Orton could be a long term solution at QB. The earliest we draft a qb is on a player with potential in the late rounds of this draft, but I have a feeling we won't draft any until next year and thats only in the event that Orton makes it clear he's not a viable solution at qb.

Shazam!
04-04-2009, 11:41 AM
The Broncos not only got 2 #1s, but an experienced QB in return, AND a #3... Denver didn't even give up as much for Elway.

I'm not sold on Orton, but his work ethic alone that he WANTS to be here says a lot.

Shanahan improved Plummer. Maybe McD can do the same with Orton.

I think Denver got the better deal. An experienced QB, 2 # 1's and a #3 is enough to begin rebuilding a 2-14 team. They'll Draft a QB in the later rounds and cut Hackney.

We'll be fine without Cutlet.

nevcraw
04-04-2009, 11:41 AM

Im fine with Sanchez.. I think he could be very good QB and seems to have the right temperment to play on the Denver stage.. It will now take a pick that should have been used for BDP on the board..

spikerman
04-04-2009, 11:42 AM
We will not draft a QB before round 4.

If we had planned on drafting a high round QB then there was no reason to accept Chicago's deal. I'm pretty sure there were a few other teams offering two firsts, it was the addition of Orton that pushed our FO to accept Chicago's offer. If we were planning on drafting a QB then we would have looked for two firsts and an impact player on defense not another qb. The only reason to accept Chicago's deal is that the FO thinks Orton could be a long term solution at QB. The earliest we draft a qb is on a player with potential in the late rounds of this draft, but I have a feeling we won't draft any until next year and thats only in the event that Orton makes it clear he's not a viable solution at qb.Unless they need Orton to play while he tutors the new QB for one or two years.

Foochacho
04-04-2009, 11:45 AM

The whole reason we traded with chicago was because we got orton in return. McDaniels likes Orton and sees him as a starter in his system. I doubt using any of these first rounders on a QB has even crossed his mind. If he was planning on drafting a Qb in round one Jay would not be a bear right now. Next year we may go for a QB depending on how Orton does, but I guarantee it is not the plan. Orton is our future right now until he proves otherwise.

slim
04-04-2009, 11:45 AM
Hah! The they you are reffering to will be the next they if Orton plays poorly.. This "they" has boxed themsleves into a a nice tight corner to win now or be run out of town..

I see you are a "glass half full" kinda guy.

IF he plays poorly, they will address it in 2010.

What happens IF he plays well AND we can restock the front 7 with the draft picks we have?

Broncolingus
04-04-2009, 11:47 AM
I was watching NFLN last night on the best drafts ever, San fran took a defense that was ranked 27th in 1980, and turned it into the #2 defense in the league. so..... Its possible!

Here's hoping brother...

Mmmmmm...'Hope.'

http://hoopeduponline.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/06/hope_dworaczyk1.jpg

Foochacho
04-04-2009, 11:49 AM
I think alot of people are have a hard time seeing the awesomeness of this trade right now because they think we will waste high picks on a qb. These picks will go towards bringing in our foundation for the defense. And now we have 4 first rounders in the next 2 years to do it. We won't hit on all of them but I am sure we will get some playmakers out of it. We are set for now at QB and can focus on fixing the rest of the holes. When the foundation is built we may take a look a QB in a higher round. But I doubt we draft that high for now, maybe in the later rounds though.

Nomad
04-04-2009, 11:51 AM
The whole reason we traded with chicago was because we got orton in return. McDaniels likes Orton and sees him as a starter in his system. I doubt using any of these first rounders on a QB has even crossed his mind. If he was planning on drafting a Qb in round one Jay would not be a bear right now. Next year we may go for a QB depending on how Orton does, but I guarantee it is not the plan. Orton is our future right now until he proves otherwise.

I hope you're right! Hopefully Sanchez doesn't make it to 12 so there will be no concerns come that time.

spikerman
04-04-2009, 11:52 AM
I think alot of people are have a hard time seeing the awesomeness of this trade right now because they think we will waste high picks on a qb. These picks will go towards bringing in our foundation for the defense. And now we have 4 first rounders in the next 2 years to do it. We won't hit on all of them but I am sure we will get some playmakers out of it. We are set for now at QB and can focus on fixing the rest of the holes. When the foundation is built we may take a look a QB in a higher round. But I doubt we draft that high for now, maybe in the later rounds though.Actually, this is the part I'm most skeptical about. I just don't think Orton is a long term answer at QB. Hopefully I'm wrong, but I see him as another Brian Griese - not in attitude, but in ability.

Shazam!
04-04-2009, 11:52 AM
I don't see them grabbing a QB early, but they'll Draft one later on.

Foochacho
04-04-2009, 11:54 AM
I hope you're right! Hopefully Sanchez doesn't make it to 12 so there will be no concerns come that time.

I agree with that I don't want them to feel pressured to take him because he falls. And I think he will fall. If we go offense in the first round it better be running back.

Foochacho
04-04-2009, 11:56 AM
Actually, this is the part I'm most skeptical about. I just don't think Orton is a long term answer at QB. Hopefully I'm wrong, but I see him as another Brian Griese - not in attitude, but in ability.

I think Kyle Orton makes better decisions. And in denver he won't have to run for his life all the time behind a shit O-line.

spikerman
04-04-2009, 11:56 AM
If the Broncos do use one of the picks on Sanchez or they package a couple of picks to move up to get him, do you still consider the trade a win for Denver?

spikerman
04-04-2009, 11:57 AM
I think Kyle Orton makes better decisions. And in denver he won't have to run for his life all the time behind a shit O-line.

Don't get me wrong. I really hope you're right!

OrangeHoof
04-04-2009, 12:00 PM
Here's a quick and dirty comparison:

2008 Broncos: 8 wins, 23.1 points per game.
2008 Bears: 9 wins, 23.4 points per game.

So, I don't think the drop-off is as dramatic as some might believe. What it all boils down to is the three draft choices and what the Broncos do with them. If they whiff, it was a bad trade. If they hit home runs, it was a great trade.

FanInAZ
04-04-2009, 12:01 PM
Cutler's agent

MadMax
04-04-2009, 12:01 PM
Unless they need Orton to play while he tutors the new QB for one or two years.

That's what I don't buy, drafting qb's is a risky proposition. We look at a guy like Kyle Orton and because he's never accomplished much we say "blech he sucks let's go out and draft the next Elway instead." But it isn't that simple 2006 was supposed to be one of the strongest classes for QB's in years and look what happened 2 of the top three are pretty much busts, and the the other(our very own JC) only has stats and is a head-case. So if the sure things can bust why spend a high pick on one of two very shakey QB's this year. I think that the FO believes Orton is a known quantity, and could possibly be better than advertised if our weapons and line can make a big difference.

I really think and hope we wait till next year. The QB class will be a beast with many proven seniors(and I'm not just talking about tebow or bradford, theres also Colt mccoy, jevan snead, and a few others I can't recall). Thats why I think their intention is to give Orton a chance and if he doesn't show enough promise, draft the future of the franchise next year.

weazel
04-04-2009, 12:03 PM

so you give rookies 8 games to turn into pros? foolish....

MadMax
04-04-2009, 12:03 PM
I would add that we will continue hear a bunch of rumors about how much we're in love with Sanchez. I would be concerned if we weren't. I think it's all smoke and mirrors to goad someone into trading up for sanchez so that Cushing or Raji can fall into our laps.

Nomad
04-04-2009, 12:05 PM
I would add that we will continue hear a bunch of rumors about how much we're in love with Sanchez. I would be concerned if we weren't. I think it's all smoke and mirrors to goad someone into trading up for sanchez so that Cushing or Raji can fall into our laps.

I like your train of thought, hopefully you are texting McDaniels these ideas!:D

OrangeHoof
04-04-2009, 12:06 PM
I don't see them grabbing a QB early, but they'll Draft one later on.

I hope they don't waste a pick on a QB. They have a lot of bigger needs to fill and I'm not high on any of the QBs in this draft anyway. If McDiapers thinks he can work miracles out of guys like Brady and Cassel, he ought to be pumped he has guys with more raw talent than that in Simms and Orton.

If the Broncos truly need to upgrade the position, there's time to draft and develop one later. This year's draft needs to be all about deee-fense.

slim
04-04-2009, 12:10 PM
I would be shocked if they draft a QB this year. Maybe in the 6th or 7th round, if there is someone they really like.

MadMax
04-04-2009, 12:13 PM
I like your train of thought, hopefully you are texting McDaniels these ideas!:D

I did but he never wrote back.;)

BroncoNut
04-04-2009, 12:15 PM
time will tell. If Jay becomes Jeff George, we got the better deal. If our picks next year bust and/or Orton fails, Chicago did. If both teams fail with their compenstions, neither did. If both pan out? I think Denver did, by a close margin.

Foochacho
04-04-2009, 12:20 PM
If the Broncos do use one of the picks on Sanchez or they package a couple of picks to move up to get him, do you still consider the trade a win for Denver?

I'll be pissed and no the trade will then be a waste unless sanchez amounts to something. If he drops to 18 and they take him because he is there I won't be as pissed but still pretty upset about it.

nevcraw
04-04-2009, 12:27 PM
I see you are a "glass half full" kinda guy.

IF he plays poorly, they will address it in 2010.

What happens IF he plays well AND we can restock the front 7 with the draft picks we have?

I'm negative because I commented on your what if scenario of Orton playing poorly? explain that logic.. and yes I am a half full guy.. But more so a realist.

If orton is a franchise type QB that some how has been hiding in a back up QB's body then by all means use your other 2 picks to improve the defense.. But if he's not and they like sanchez they go get sanchez.. But by doing so they now have taken away their top 2 options to fix the D and throwing it at QB which until thursday was not a need.. you see my drift.. 2 steps back to go go 1 step forward.. Realism slim.. pure realism.

Oh and IF he plays poorly you really think THEy get Years to fix a postion that was not an issue until THEY let Cutler go? I don't>> I think MCD has shortened his owm leash by taking this gamble.. He wont get more than 2 years to fix it and your 2010 QB will be a rookie..

BroncoNut
04-04-2009, 12:33 PM
I'm negative because I commented on your what if scenario of Orton playing poorly? explain that logic.. and yes I am a half full guy.. But more so a realist.

If orton is a franchise type QB that some how has been hiding in a back up QB's body then by all means use your other 2 picks to improve the defense.. But if he's not and they like sanchez they go get sanchez.. But by doing so they now have taken away their top 2 options to fix the D and throwing it at QB which until thursday was not a need.. you see my drift.. 2 steps back to go go 1 step forward.. Realism slim.. pure realism.

way to take Slim to school Nevcraw. His happy go lucky optimism really irritates me

spikerman
04-04-2009, 12:40 PM

Oh and IF he plays poorly you really think THEy get Years to fix a postion that was not an issue until THEY let Cutler go? I don't>> I think MCD has shortened his owm leash by taking this gamble.. He wont get more than 2 years to fix it and your 2010 QB will be a rookie..

I pretty much agree with everything you wrote except the part I put in bold. I think this actually buys McDaniels time. I'll bet Bowlen is more forgiving since he backed the coach in this whole ordeal. Bowlen's mindset will be that McDaniels has to win with either less talent at the QB position (Simms/Orton) or with a young/rookie QB and that will buy him some years.

slim
04-04-2009, 12:46 PM

Well, Orton doesn't have to be a "franchise QB". I am not sure where that notion is coming from.

Again, your whole argument is based on the assumption that Orton will fail and that Denver will be forced to "waste" a 1st round pick on another QB. I don't see either of those two things happening. I am not saying Orton is the second coming. But he is a capable QB.

This team has a ton of problems. I know it is not popular to point out, but the offense had problems last year too. We are now in a position to reload via the draft. I think that is a good thing.

slim
04-04-2009, 12:46 PM
way to take Slim to school Nevcraw. His happy go lucky optimism really irritates me

http://i198.photobucket.com/albums/aa127/jefslo_24/stueywitthefinger.jpg

TXBRONC
04-04-2009, 12:48 PM
That's what I thought. But the article says we recieved a 5th rounder :noidea:.

Anywho, glad to see you back to normal. :welcome:

On NFLN I'm sure they had it as the Bears got Cutler and our 5th.

spikerman
04-04-2009, 12:49 PM
http://i198.photobucket.com/albums/aa127/jefslo_24/stueywitthefinger.jpg:lol::lol::lol:

nevcraw
04-04-2009, 12:54 PM
I pretty much agree with everything you wrote except the part I put in bold. I think this actually buys McDaniels time. I'll bet Bowlen is more forgiving since he backed the coach in this whole ordeal. Bowlen's mindset will be that McDaniels has to win with either less talent at the QB position (Simms/Orton) or with a young/rookie QB and that will buy him some years.

Could be true - I def see that way of thinking as a possibility.. However, I think Bowlen is more tough / shrewd though.. - Like - "I backed you up 100% now you got to go make it work and quickly".. the don't make a fool at out me aproach.. Truthfully if McD and whoever he's got playing QB does struggle ealry (as most rookie coach's do) the ripple effect will become a sunami very quickly.. How long can Bowlen stand next to him?
Hopefully he is more equipped than I am ready to give him credit for and shows us all why Pat has given him this faith..

TXBRONC
04-04-2009, 12:56 PM

In a radio interview yesterday McDaniels touch on the subject of the running game and from what he said getting a running back that early in the draft doesn't seem likely.

nevcraw
04-04-2009, 01:09 PM
Well, Orton doesn't have to be a "franchise QB". I am not sure where that notion is coming from.

Again, your whole argument is based on the assumption that Orton will fail and that Denver will be forced to "waste" a 1st round pick on another QB. I don't see either of those two things happening. I am not saying Orton is the second coming. But he is a capable QB.

This team has a ton of problems. I know it is not popular to point out, but the offense had problems last year too. We are now in a position to reload via the draft. I think that is a good thing.

No it's not.. They either think Orton or Simms can be a winner or they don't - If they don't they will still need to replace Cutler. Franchise QB's win the most superbowls - It's a fact. Very few just capable guys do..
If they do think Orton and simms are that type then use the pics on rebuilding the defense.
The team does have a ton a problems.. The QB was pretty much the offense last year.. QB was not one of them untill thursday..
Now add QB to that list and see if we have improved.

slim
04-04-2009, 01:20 PM
No it's not.. They either think Orton or Simms can be a winner or they don't - If they don't they will still need to replace Cutler. Franchise QB's win the most superbowls - It's a fact. Very few just capable guys do..
If they do think Orton and simms are that type then use the pics on rebuilding the defense.
The team does have a ton a problems.. The QB was pretty much the offense last year.. QB was not one of them untill thursday..
Now add QB to that list and see if we have improved.

Well, I think (based on McD's comments) they feel Orton can lead the team. Based on his track record with QB's, I will take his word for it.

I am not sure what you mean by "franchise QB". It seems your definition is based on won/loss record. If that is the case, Jay hardly qualifies as a "franchise QB". In fact, Orton would meet the definition moreso than Jay.

OrangeHoof
04-04-2009, 03:14 PM

And the few "just capable" QBs who did win the Super Bowl won with hellacious defenses like the 2000 Ravens. Does our defense look like that? I would have preferred that the offense stayed the course with a little tweaking and focus on fixing the defense. Instead, they now have to fix both the offense and the defense.

Now, there is some merit to "blow it up and start from scratch" thinking. So if trading Cutler for three picks is a good move, let's trade Champ for more picks. Let's trade B-Marsh for a pick. Let's trade DJ. Let's trade Clady. Then we can have five or six picks in the first two rounds and *really* start over.

bullis26
04-04-2009, 03:41 PM
And the few "just capable" QBs who did win the Super Bowl won with hellacious defenses like the 2000 Ravens. Does our defense look like that? I would have preferred that the offense stayed the course with a little tweaking and focus on fixing the defense. Instead, they now have to fix both the offense and the defense.

Now, there is some merit to "blow it up and start from scratch" thinking. So if trading Cutler for three picks is a good move, let's trade Champ for more picks. Let's trade B-Marsh for a pick. Let's trade DJ. Let's trade Clady. Then we can have five or six picks in the first two rounds and *really* start over.

:coffee:

Can we get back to being serious?
Marshall wouldnt be a top 2 round pick..... and we traded cutler because he's a whinny brat..... did any of those guys you mentioned cry like a baby? yeah, i didnt think so either

Benetto
04-04-2009, 05:48 PM
As a lifelong Broncos fan and one that has a clue, i will say this. Brady has developed extremely well under mcdaniels, and his best statistical seasons have been with mcdanny as his coach. This had a lot to do with Josh being more than just a coach. He was one of tom's best friends. If Tom can trust this guy with things, with his celebrity profile... apparently Josh isnt as deceitful as most would think. Jay cutler has never done anything to distinguish himself as a winner, and now likely never will in Chicago. The broncos get to completely rebuild their d, while getting a QB that is high percentage, and can manage the game. He has also won more games than cutler in a shorter period of time. Cutler will become another guy in the NFC, while the broncos will likely be contending for the AFC west crown.

The vikings and packers are both better than Chicago, even with Jay. Chicago's defense isn't what it used to be, and now their O line will get even older with no young high level talent from the draft.

I am not a skeptical, and predict we will lose for the next 6-7 years....And I am not a psychic to say we will be a Playoff contender within a season...but I do have faith in Coach Mcdanny...

BTW, the Texans fans had nooses ready to hang Kubes when he took Super Mario 1st over-all (Over Reggie)...Reggie is now labeled a guy who can not be a every down back, or do well without a "power" RB....While Super Mario is crushing QB's.

Nature Boy
04-04-2009, 08:08 PM
Who won in the Cutler trade?

Kyle Orton won.

Tned
04-04-2009, 08:20 PM
Who won in the Cutler trade?

Kyle Orton won.

San Diego is the big winner.

claymore
04-04-2009, 08:22 PM

I think we all are..... This is the shock we needed. Marshall really ate some humble pie as did everyone else.

MOtorboat
04-04-2009, 08:29 PM

lol.

OrangeHoof
04-04-2009, 08:39 PM

And with Roid Boy coming back this season, the Chuggers might have had the division wrapped up by Halloween except they have Norv Turner. So, they'll have it wrapped up by Thanksgiving.

Nature Boy
04-04-2009, 08:42 PM
And with Roid Boy coming back this season, the Chuggers might have had the division wrapped up by Halloween except they have Norv Turner. So, they'll have it wrapped up by Thanksgiving.

Then lose in the 1st round of the playoffs.