PDA

View Full Version : 2 year plan

oobehr
04-04-2009, 03:46 AM
Ok, so everyone has their opinions on whether we are a better team than we were 2 months ago but however you feel this seems to me to be the best course of action for the next 2 years, at least in my opinion:

One thing we can't argue is that we have 2 first rounders this year and 2 first rounders next year. If neither the bears or us change draft position that much we should be looking at 2 picks anywhere from 10-25. In extreme cases we could have either the first overall pick or we could have the last or any other combination in between. For the sake of my arguement I am going to assume we have the 15th overall and 20th overall next season.

This season I could see us going ahead with Orton or Simms depending on how camps and all that go, I guess we could assume Orton the favorite considering his recent history. He might not be a bad replacement but he could end up being a complete mess. Considering our o-line and receiving corps I say he does a decent job filling in, but nothing jaw dropping. Also, whether we draft Sanchez or whoever it may be safe to say Orton is the starter anyway.

For my plan, I say we draft like we would if Cutler was the starter, with D-Line, Linebackers, Secondary and Running Back being the major areas of concern. We could very well set our defense on a very good path with 2 pretty solid draft positions, whether we trade them down for others or not. We should go defense early and often, adding depth and play making ability at any position we can.

Now next season, we have picks 15 and 20. This is where I hope we go:
If Orton fails to succeed in our offense and just can't get going like cutler did, 2 first rounders has really good trade potential. We could trade our 2 firsts to move up to the top ten next season, and get a really good quarterback with it and, bing bang boom we are back to square one. If Orton succeeds in the offense we draft defense again and hope we can move up to championship status.

I think if we draft like we would have with cutler still in hold of the offense and then gauge Orton next season we could very well be a pretty solid team by 2011.

broncophan
04-04-2009, 04:56 AM
Well........even with kid Cutler.....I figured 2011 or 2012 before the broncos would get deep into the playoffs.Now with Orton and our additional draft picks,and with one less whiner on the team.....I think we struggle through this upcoming season, with our tough schedule......but things will be ok in the future imo.

If Orton/Simms doesn't work out.....and we have to draft a "big time" college football qb again........we could be in for a longer wait to get deep into the playoffs.

Den21vsBal19
04-04-2009, 05:16 AM
Ain't that the truth..............our D would have prevented anything spectacular anyway...........

Depending on how well we use the additional picks, we could be a vastly improved side this year.............if there's one available, I'd certainly condsider getting hold of a stud RB to take the pressure off not only Orton/Simms but the D as well...........one of the biggest problems, IMO, over the last couple of years has been a boom or bust, inefficient offense.

This year, if I'm brutally honest about it, I'm looking for an improvement in competitiveness and attitidue................no more blow-outs with players looking like they don't give a damn/haven't got a clue.